• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K teasing Advent on Twitter. BioShock? XCOM? New IP? [Up: Looking like XCOM]

BGMNTS

Man what i'd give for a tactical turn based shooter set in Hell's Kitchen with mob guys and plasmids.
What a game.

Or just a good XCOM. Maybe set in a modern or past era I don't know.

Chobel

0jNCVBk.png

These letters most likely represent elements from periodic table:
N : Nitrogen
Co : Cobalt
V: Vanadium
O: Oxygen

EDIT: If we use their atomic numbers we have : 7-27-23-8

EDIT2: If we convert that number to alphabet we have: H&WG

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
System Shock IP is in legal hell, between EA and some insurance company, it was a wonder they ever managed to get it up on Steam. I can fully expect a successor, but sadly Shodan's story seems to be going nowhere for the time being.

It's not in legal hell, just a less-than-ideal situation. Meadowbrook Insurance has owned the IP and at least Shock 2 in particular since the closure of Looking Glass, so there's nothing stopping a company from licensing the name and creating a third entry if it were so inclined, and this also how Night Dive was able to strike a deal for the re-release of 2. Judging from the Copyright.gov database, though, the original System Shock is in a pickle as ownership is split between Looking Glass (i.e. Meadowbrook) and Origin Systems (i.e. EA).

These letters most likely represent elements from periodic table:
N : Nitrogen
Co : Cobalt
V: Vanadium
O: Oxygen

EDIT: If we use their atomic numbers we have : 7-27-23-8

EDIT2: If we convert that number to alphabet we have: H&WG
Hmm, did some research on the elements. Their uses could hint towards possible bio- and mechanical - enhancements.

Cobalt can obsorb oxygen out of air and water and release it later (enhanced endurance/stamina maybe? Draw in and release more oxygen into the bloodstream?).

Vanadium oxide is related to the Magneli phases, which are related to electrical conducity and batteries/fuel cells.

Cobalt and nitrogen are connected to electrostatic interactions and this:
Herein we report the synthesis of cobalt-embedded nitrogen-rich carbon nanotubes (NRCNTs) that 1) can efficiently electrocatalyze the hydrogen evolution reaction (HER) with activities close to that of Pt and 2) function well under acidic, neutral or basic media alike, allowing them to be coupled with the best available oxygen-evolving catalysts-which also play crucial roles in the overall water-splitting reaction. The materials are synthesized by a simple, easily scalable synthetic route involving thermal treatment of Co(2+) -embedded graphitic carbon nitride derived from inexpensive starting materials (dicyandiamide and CoCl2 ). The materials' efficient catalytic activity is mainly attributed to their nitrogen dopants and concomitant structural defects.

Nitrogen and oxygen produce nitric oxide, "an important cellular signaling molecule involved in many physiological and pathological processes"

Cobalt and vanadium are used in the production of blades; vanadium "improves the wear resistance, toughness, and ease of sharpening" while cobalt "increases strength and hardness, and permits quenching in higher temperatures" and "intensifies the individual effects of other elements in more complex steels"

Genetic modification and dystopian utopias are pretty common themes in science fiction, gang. Just sayin'.

Doen't really sound that much like X-Com, though I'd be pretty happy with a new X-Com game, even if it's a new IP. I suppose it could be an X-Com reboot set in the not-so-near future, though whatever it is, I suspect that the "ADVENT forces" who are constantly hanging around, looking for trouble, will be the game's primary antagonists.

This is still nagging at me. Why are these letters photoshopped in and red?! It's got to mean something if they went through the trouble of doing this instead of just leaving what was written there in the stock photo they used.

N
Co
V
O
You can spell "convo" with those letters. /shrug

Almost certainly a new XCOM. A reboot of Apocalypse, maybe?

From the screens:
SNKJRRGS052620150816.png

A movie poster in one of EU's maps:
Movie_1_%28EU2012%29.png

From the screens:
RJFKTZZR052620150809.png

Another poster in EU:
Movie_8_%28EU2012%29.png

Spinning earth? "We are still watching"? XCOM fonts?

It's XCOM.

Steel

Banned
Yeah your findings make sense, and the proportions in the concept art make sense for xcom. You're probably right.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what are XCOM games like? I've never played them...

Some of the finest strategy games around.

As a really high level view, you have a squad of soldiers who fight turn based battles while also managing a base that allows you new technologies and tactical options.

Where are the pics from? The website?

I'm totally down for the next XCOM game, it was a very fun game and it definitely has a lot of room for improvements!

Lakitu

st5fu
Some of the finest strategy games around.

As a really high level view, you have a squad of soldiers who fight turn based battles while also managing a base that allows you new technologies and tactical options.

Sounds good, wish I was into strategy games.

Excited for a new xcom

Would like to see some content on the level of the XCOM long war mod put in, as it felt like a wealth of content and strategy that blew the vanilla game out of the water.

My guess is it's called XCOM: Advent Future. Takes place in a single big city, just like Apocalypse did, with XCOM acting more as an insurgent rogue organization fighting alien control in the form of the "Advent Corporation" or whatever.

The XCOM people teased a reveal a few months back but it never happened. Makes sense that this would be it.

Joco

I'd rather have another XCOM than BioShock after Infinite was... less than enjoyable. Enemy Unknown was a solid strategy game despite what some others may think... if they can build off of what they had and add more depth (and maybe some interesting characters), this could be a very good game.

Sloane

Banned
My guess is it's called XCOM: Advent Future. Takes place in a single big city, just like Apocalypse did, with XCOM acting more as an insurgent rogue organization fighting alien control in the form of the "Advent Corporation" or whatever.

The XCOM people teased a reveal a few months back but it never happened. Makes sense that this would be it.
That would be pretty amazing.

Excited for a new xcom

Would like to see some content on the level of the XCOM long war mod put in, as it felt like a wealth of content and strategy that blew the vanilla game out of the water.
If it helps, the designers love The Long War and talk it up on Twitter a lot. I don't know to what degree the vanilla game was compromised because of time or publisher pressures, but the devs are fans of the mod.

Joco

What are the chances this is cross gen?

Assuming it's on consoles as Enemy Unknown and Enemy Within were.

Even if this isn't XCOM (and I think there's more pointing to that than anything else), new XCOM is coming. The game sold boatloads more than expected.

yuraya

I'd take a tactical top down turn based game over some mindless AAA fps any day of the week.

Seriously good news if its indeed a new XCOM.

I'm quite ready for a new XCOM. Hopefully they include a lot more soldier customization options this time around (though I shouldn't be complaining because I got two soldiers to look exactly like two of my friends).

Top Bottom