• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K teasing Advent on Twitter. BioShock? XCOM? New IP? [Up: Looking like XCOM]

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I don't get a Bioshock vibe from this at all. Not even close.
Syndicate maybe but that's an EA IP.

A new IP would make the most sense, can't think of an 2K Franchise that sounds similar.
I just hope it's not another god damn zombie game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't get a Bioshock vibe from this at all. Not even close.
Syndicate maybe but that's an EA IP.

A new IP would make the most sense, can't think of an 2K Franchise that sounds similar.
I just hope it's not another god damn zombie game.

I will say that if it's a BioShock game, mechanically it sounds like a large departure.

ArjanN

x1isfXJ.png

I know it can't be, but I'm getting MASSIVE og Syndicate vibes from this picture.

The whole thing seems way more Syndicate or Xcom than Bioshock to me.

Interesting with Satellite Reign coming as well.

dr_rus

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Civilization: Beyond Earth
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny
XCOM
Syndicate
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

It's not necessarily just "Cyberpunk". But this sort of near-future look is not at all uncommon or unique.

These are medieval fantasy as much as they are cyberpunk.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's the old BioShock statement to note:

GameSpot said:
Finally, Zelnick was asked a question about the future of BioShock. He wouldn't give anything specific about where the series may be headed in the future, but agreed with the interviewer's suggestion that the BioShock series overall has not reached its commercial potential yet.

"We haven't given any color on how you should think about it yet except we do believe it's beloved; we think it's important [and] certainly something that we're focused on; something 2K Marin [Note: This studio is dead by Hangar 13 is in Marin county.] will be responsible for shepherding going forward. I don't want to say much else except to agree with you. I think there's a lot of upside in that franchise," Zelnick said. "It hasn't necessarily been realized yet. And the question for the future, assuming we decide to answer the question, would be 'How do you stay true to that creatively?'; 'How do you do something exciting?'; and 'How do you do expand the market?'. That would be the natural drill. We're starting from a good point on it. And certainly it's been a great piece of business for us; it's been a profitable piece of business."
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/an...-dead-redemption-2-is-happening/1100-6419966/

LinkedIn wasn't very helpful, but I did find one other thing in the job postings.

It'd be pretty optimistic to expect a mega success out of a new IP on the first entry.

I will say that if it's a BioShock game, mechanically it sounds like a large departure.

Here's my thing, if it isn't Bioshock it basically has to be a new IP right? The themes sound absolutely nothing like X-Com at all

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here's my thing, if it isn't Bioshock it basically has to be a new IP right? The themes sound absolutely nothing like X-Com at all

Yeah, it'd be a large departure for XCOM given it'd be entirely in one city and seemingly much more plot focused.

Take-Two has noted they release one new IP per (fiscal) year as well, but Battleborn already covers that for this year.

Fantastapotamus

I think it's just the pretty common looking city that makes me think this can't be a Bioshock game. But since Levine is doing whatever it is he is doing maybe they change things up?
Dunno, I just know that this doesn't look like the Bioshock game I want. But maybe I do. Who can tell at this point.

Yeah, it'd be a large departure for XCOM given it'd be entirely in one city and seemingly much more plot focused.

Take-Two has noted they release one new IP per (fiscal) year as well, but Battleborn already covers that for this year.

Isn't Battleborn Bethesda?
Edit: Oh wait, that's the Gearbox game right? What's that Bethesda game again? Battleblood?

Steel

Banned

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think it's just the pretty common looking city that makes me think this can't be a Bioshock game. But since Levine is doing whatever it is he is doing maybe they change things up?
Dunno, I just know that this doesn't look like the Bioshock game I want. But maybe I do. Who can tell at this point.

I do think it's worth considering that this is an entirely new developer with no real staff connection to the previous one, so if they were handed the series, they might strike out and do whatever. Even 2K Marin had a lot of Irrational staff in comparison.

Now, I agree that historically when a new developer takes over a series, they play it really safe. However, since those titles almost universally underperform, Take-Two might have told them to make something that feels quite new and different to try and avoid that.

I don't know about the one city thing, it seems to be about a city making company that's worldwide:

Still though they talk about this city / cities being a new start for mankind, gene splicing, the new world being good on the outside but corrupt on the inside. None of that sounds like X-Com at all.

I'm betting either Bioshock or a new ip

Fantastapotamus

That's Battlecry.

Oh yeah. Memorable title. Both of them.

I do think it's worth considering that this is an entirely new developer with no real staff connection to the previous one, so if they were handed the series, they might strike out and do whatever. Even 2K Marin had a lot of Irrational staff in comparison.

Now, I agree that historically when a new developer takes over a series, they play it really safe. However, since those titles almost universally underperform, Take-Two might have told them to make something that feels quite new and different to try and avoid that.

Yeah, sounds reasonable.
As much as I want a new Bioshock, I really hope this is a new IP. We could need a few more of those.

A-V-B

Wild guess: Detective Vision + Climbing up Long Things to Pull Switches on Other Things and Remove Shiny Things from Chests

eso76

If those images are at all indicative of the game's aesthetics and settings then this sure is lacking personality for a BioShock game, or a game from Levine.

I hope it's not related

ekim

If you merge the D and V from the Advent logo by mirroring both letters you get AGENT (with a bit of imagination)

Luke_Wal

Could this be the "Lockstarter" exclusive? It seems to be getting a pretty big marketing push, and that would account for the mystery dev.

Apoc29

Still though they talk about this city / cities being a new start for mankind, gene splicing, the new world being good on the outside but corrupt on the inside. None of that sounds like X-Com at all.

I'm betting either Bioshock or a new ip

XCOM: Enemy Within (the expansion to Enemy Unknown) had an emphasis on gene mods, cybernetic augmentation, and
infiltration by the enemy from within the XCOM base itself

I agree that the city stuff does seem to be a departure from XCOM. In any case, I'm quite looking forward to a new XCOM or something similar.

MisterJoynt

Neo Member
This has me tingling with anticipation. thinking back to the style and nature of the early Bioshock marketing, this does give me that same vibe of introducing very abstract details and then expanding on the story of those details.

Bioshock and Bioshock 2 had newspaper clippings and journal entries, If this marketing is launched with the premise of a protectorate type organization that is there to keep the people uninformed, it would be a great setting for a Bioshock-esque story.

Done some digging. Putting in some key words in google and I find this article.

Mafia and La Noire as one? We do know that team bondi is gone but the game was a good hit from what I recall.

http://www.upgaming.org/mafia-and-l-a-noire-are-back-as-one

I’ve received some news about Mafia and L.A Noire (in a big working progress), actually it is going to be one big game ! A cross-over between the 2 series. The studio in charge of the development of this crossover is Hangar 13 and Rockstar San Diego.

A real time demo version will be showing during E3 2015

Concerning the game itself, you will be able to create your own character (flexible story), including a massive online multiplayer mode.

I will tell you more when I have more information.

These are medieval fantasy as much as they are cyberpunk.

My point was that "shiny future city" is a common trope for games, unlike the cities in the original Bioshock and Infinite. All those games listed contain the same vaguely futuristic tone that this game is aiming for.

Guessing it's a new IP, hoping it's a strategy game of some kind.

What about some futuristic Civilization Revolution for consoles?

Luke_Wal

XCOM: Enemy Within (the expansion to Enemy Unknown) had an emphasis on gene mods, cybernetic augmentation, and
infiltration by the enemy from within the XCOM base itself

I agree that the city stuff does seem to be a departure from XCOM. In any case, I'm quite looking forward to a new XCOM or something similar.

My thoughts exactly. Anyone saying this doesn't sound like XCOM clearly didn't play EW. Could the city be an expanded version of the 2D base?

Oppo

feel like BioShock

the logical move at this point would be to do a futuristic setting

I'm pining for XCOM but I don't think this is it

I've got 200h+ on XCOM but the single city just doesn't fit

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Could this be the "Lockstarter" exclusive? It seems to be getting a pretty big marketing push, and that would account for the mystery dev.

Don't think so, this is 2K, not Rockstar.

Done some digging. Putting in some key words in google and I find this article.

Mafia and La Noire as one? We do know that team bondi is gone but the game was a good hit from what I recall.

http://www.upgaming.org/mafia-and-l-a-noire-are-back-as-one

massive online multiplayer mode.

I dunno, man, it sounds like it's made up.

I mean, realistically 2K pretty much HAS to be working on Bioshock. It's one of their staple IPs. I find it hard to believe someone isn't working on it, since development would likely take 3 years and they wouldn't want to have a large gap inbetween games since it is such a profitable series for them. I'd assume they started working on a new one shortly after Irrational was shuttered just based on this.

So all of their studios are accounted for except Brno and Hangar13. One is doing Mafia and I can only assume the other one is working on Bioshock. Since Hangar13 is the bigger one, I really believe it is them that are working on a Bioshock game, which I believe this is. I just refuse to believe that 2K haven't even started development on a Bioshock game to this date.

Top Bottom