• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K teasing Advent on Twitter. BioShock? XCOM? New IP? [Up: Looking like XCOM]

Gator86

The bigger question here is, do you WANT this to be Bioshock without Levine?

Bioshock 2 was one of the best games from last gen and it had minor Levine input, if I recall correctly. For me, Bioshock is by far the most exciting game from the potential options here. It would be impossible for me to care less about another Mafia game and I'm kind of apathetic to the idea of more XCom.

But we're already getting a new game about an isolated community where the population is addicted to some kind of drug and hostile to outsiders, with melee combat and a stylized aesthetic
we-happy-few-5.jpg
we-happy-few-02-exit-bobby_1920.0.jpg

Devil

It does sound like BioShock.

But BioShock narrative without Ken Levine?

Better? Worse?

I love both BioShock 1 and BioShock Infinite, but don't really care for BioShock 2.

I don't want more BioShock 2. But I want more BioShock 1.

I am torn.

Exactly what I feel. Since I really disliked the last time another team took over the Bioshock franchise I'm not really eager to see that happen again. Also, just putting the Bioshock formula into space sounds like the most expected, unsurprising way to continue the series.

Maybe it would work out better than Bioshock 2 because the developers can use a setting which they completely designed by themselves. BS2 felt like a copy in many regards because it actually was one. More creative freedom may be a good thing. The shooter aspects were actually superior, even though everything else was rather worse.

In short: Not sure if want.

Brokun

To me those screenshots evoke XCOM more than anything else. Two screenshots and a promo image... both of the screenshots are in 3/4 perspective. I can already point out where my sniper would be sitting as I move up my front line assault team from cover to cover.

RowdyReverb

It is definitely throwing out some "Shock" themes. Remains to be seen if it will be a Bioshock, System Shock, or some new kind of "Shock".

This screen gives me a somewhat (very zoomed out) isometric vibe. Which means I wouldn't like it. But I'd be happily proven wrong.

x1isfXJ.png
I don't think that's intended as a screenshot or illustration of gameplay. Looks like concept art to me. By that logic, if it was an FPS, would they show a ground view from a first person perspective on this website?

To me those screenshots evoke XCOM more than anything else. Two screenshots and a promo image... both of the screenshots are in 3/4 perspective. I can already point out where my sniper would be sitting as I move up my front line assault team from cover to cover.

Maybe, but the themes dont sound anything at all like X-Com. I'm pretty sure its not, especially with emphasis they are putting on the city and gene splicing. Its gotta be Bioshock

This is just teaser art. I agree a huge component of Bioshock is its visual style, and if this is Bioshock I'm sure it will have its own twist. I doubt it will be just pretty, clean future city

Still, but it's going to be a dominant theme for much of the game. If we're assuming "Advent" is the next Rapture/Columbia, that's a pretty boring baseline compared to the other two. We don't see a ton of 50's Americana, or 30's idealism in games. But we see plenty of very shiny future-cities lined in neon and chrome.

My concern is that most of the game will simply be "broken future city", like a slightly less dark Dead Space 2.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My one honest concern with this being BioShock, is that the past two really went out of their way to have unique, innovative visual styles. The decadent horror of Rapture, the Disneyland-esque madness of Columbia... and the generic cyperpunk visage of Advent?

I'm sure it'll look nice and shiny inside, with plenty of mutants bouncing about - but still, BioShock is typically defined by a visual identity, which this teaser has none of.

Please tell me what can possibly be generic about a cyberpunk setting. If i am missing a bunch of modern cyberpunk games, enough to make this game generic, i would like to know so i can play them.

Ambient80

This is still nagging at me. Why are these letters photoshopped in and red?! It's got to mean something if they went through the trouble of doing this instead of just leaving what was written there in the stock photo they used.

N
Co
V
O
Pretty weird but nothing I can see on the site that lets you type anything in. I tried all variations of those letters at the end of the url of the site and nothing worked. I do know Co and V aren't really used in organic chem, so they're definitely out of place. V is used in biochem as a symbol for Valine, an amino acid. Co could really mean a ton of different things. First one coming to mind would be carbon monoxide but that would be written as CO.

That's my contribution to your theory lol.

If this game is going to be announced at E3, whose press conference would it mostly show up at? Microsoft? Sony?

To me, Bioshock Infinite, the most recent Bioshock/2K games released was announced at Sony's press conference. Maybe more details about the game will be released then?

Steel

Banned
Pretty weird but nothing I can see on the site that lets you type anything in. I tried all variations of those letters at the end of the url of the site and nothing worked. I do know Co and V aren't really used in organic chem, so they're definitely out of place. V is used in biochem as a symbol for Valine, an amino acid. Co could really mean a ton of different things. First one coming to mind would be carbon monoxide but that would be written as CO.

That's my contribution to your theory lol.

Perhaps it's a hint at combing them, Vanadium and cobalt can be used to make some steels, I know. Both vanadium and cobalt have oxide and nitride forms. So all of these elements can be combined with one another in pairs, but I don't know if they can do more than that. Been a long time since college chemistry so can't really say much more than that.

If this just ends up some city building game I'm going to be depressed

Which is why I'm assuming it's a city building game, so I'm floored when it turns out not to be.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Apparently Hangar 13 has 41 designers:

Presumably it's a very large project.

Is that a big amount of designers?

I'm glad it's a big project, can't wait to see more of Take 2 games next gen.

Please tell me what can possibly be generic about a cyberpunk setting. If i am missing a bunch of modern cyberpunk games, enough to make this game generic, i would like to know so i can play them.

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
Killzone: Shadow Fall
Civilization: Beyond Earth
Cyberpunk 2077
Destiny
XCOM
Syndicate
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

It's not necessarily just "Cyberpunk". But this sort of near-future look is not at all uncommon or unique.

RowdyReverb

This is still nagging at me. Why are these letters photoshopped in and red?! It's got to mean something if they went through the trouble of doing this instead of just leaving what was written there in the stock photo they used.

0jNCVBk.png

N
Co
V
O
It's bothering me too because unless I'm mistaken that chemical structure doesn't make sense. It's been a while since I took organic chemistry, but I'm pretty sure N should have 3 bonds and H shouldn't have more than 1 (solid line, that is). Can't speak for Cobalt or Vanadium though. That's a little more exotic than what I learned.

GeoramA

I wonder if Mafia 3 was canned and turned into this instead.

2K Novato is only big enough to handle one game right now to my knowledge and they were the Mafia 3 studio.
That would be very disappointing. I'd take a new Mafia game over BioShock or XCOM anyday.

Ambient80

It's bothering me too because unless I'm mistaken that chemical structure doesn't make sense. It's been a while since I took organic chemistry, but I'm pretty sure N should have 3 bonds and H shouldn't have more than 1 (solid line, that is). Can't speak for Cobalt or Vanadium though. That's a little more exotic than what I learned.

Hydrogen def shouldn't have more than one, which is why they're usually not even drawn out, they're just sort of implied. N usually has three but I think can have two in an unstable form? Been like seven years since organic which was my last exposure to this stuff.

Hydrogen def shouldn't have more than one, which is why they're usually not even drawn out, they're just sort of implied. N usually has three but I think can have two in an unstable form? Been like seven years since organic which was my last exposure to this stuff.

N always has 3 unless it is in an ionic form, then with 2 bonds, it should have a + somewhere near it.

Huh, it lists XB1/PS4 so it's probably new. For some reason it's not on the publisher's job site as a whole (every other studio is listed there), but these seem like newer job postings.

I think you've solved the mystery.

Hangar 13:
-While rumors strongly point to them having had Mafia 3 at some point, they likely moved off the project quickly. This would not be unprecedented, because for example, Irrational Games originally had XCOM before handing it off.

2K Brno:
-Now the sole developer of Mafia 3.

Those postings were added last year, between Jan. and Oct:

Which is why I'm assuming it's a city building game, so I'm floored when it turns out not to be.

Idk the more I look at this the more convinced I am its either Bioshock or a major AAA game of some sort. Its dealing with major themes and doesn't look like a small project at all

Moozo

I wonder if Mafia 3 was canned and turned into this instead.

2K Novato is only big enough to handle one game right now to my knowledge and they were the Mafia 3 studio.

The lead voice actor was doing stuff for them recently so unless they've kept him on for this new project I'd be sceptical

Steel

Banned

Looking further into it, Vanandium nitride can be either VN or V2N so it can have less than 3 bonds.

Sijil

Whatever it is I'm all for more futuristic Cyberpunk, hopefully a successor to System Shock, had enough of modern day realistic stuff, and I got my fill of medieval fantasy, a genre which I love, but my favorite is still futuristic/Cyberpunk.

Luke_Wal

Whether this is a XCOM, BioShock, or a new IP... I'm in. Concept sounds awesome. Being a Mafia game would really ruin it for me, though. I'm almost as interested to see who's making it as I am to see what the game is. Suppose it could be an actual publishing deal from a new dev partnering with 2K? It looks like Hangar 13 was opened in December 2014; it's definitely way too early for them to be announcing their game, especially if 2K has a new game coming out in Q1 2016.

Top Bottom