• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

ksamedi

Jethro said:
Dark Lord impressions please :(

I'm having a blast with it. Basically its tower defense with a Final Fantasy twist. You buy floors for your tower and place monsters in them. Advanturerers come one buy one or in groups trying to defeat the monsters and reach the top floor. your monsters can attack two turns (and so do the adventurers) before the adventurers climb to the next floor. An advanturer can climb a floor higher if a fight is already taking place on a particular floor. You can only buy a certain amount of floors so you have to plan carefully which monsters you place on each floor. For example Melee monsters (lika a Goblin) are effective against ranged types, magicians are effective agains Melee types and ranged types are effective against magicians. Its pretty fun so far. I like the characters too.

KtSlime

Ugh, I hate DSiWare. They don't have anything, they never update it with anything worth as much as the charge, I wish they would put a VC on it. Is the DSiWare situation better in Japan, or is it pretty much the same?

Jethro said:
Dark Lord impressions please :(
I like it. Gfx are quite good (that was expected due to the engine it's running on), controls are NES-style, which works well. Ksamedi already laid out the basics. I'm not far in yet but so far it's pretty fun.

VOOK said:
Some new DSi Ware videos from yours truly.

Electroplankton - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZND_oO150CI

Game & Watch - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKtbzX-w1Mo

They really need to re-release the G&W Super Mario Bros. I used to own one and it was awesome. It was an auto scrolling platformer with warp zones and castles, pretty advanced for an LCD game. I could never get past the fire wheels in stage 8. Later that summer I left it in the back window of our family car and the LCD and crystal got fried. :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HALP!

Can you guys give me a fair $$$ figure to be able to enjoy Dark Lord at its fullest?
I didn't buy MLAAK but this one seems right up my allie, it gives me a Dungeon Keeper vibe... even if the only Castle Defence game I enjoyed seems to be Ninjatown on the DS (thanks to demo on the Ninty Channel I've bought the game, you see Miyamoto?!) but I dunno how similar the gameplay is, if at all.

I mean, I don't give a shit about skins, only gameplay related stuff that actually has an impact on the game and not only on the visuals/minor stuff.

I'd like to buy the game tonight, maybe you guys can come up with a decent buying-plan :p

Dash Kappei said:
HALP!

Can you guys give me a fair $$$ figure to be able to enjoy Dark Lord at its fullest?

I mean, I don't give a shit about skins, only gameplay related stuff that actually has an impact on the game and not only on the visuals/minor stuff.

I'd like to buy the game tonight, maybe you guys can come up with a decent buying-plan :p

It's 6700 points ($80 in points cards) in total for EVERYTHING:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=16701294&postcount=294

Dash Kappei said:
HALP!

I didn't buy MLAAK but this one seems right up my allie, it gives me a Dungeon Keeper vibe... even if the only Castle Defence game I enjoyed seems to be Ninjatown on the DS (thanks to demo on the Ninty Channel I've bought the game, you see Miyamoto?!) but I dunno how similar the gameplay is, if at all.

I think you'll get enough playtime out of the core product for 10 €. I've put in 2 hours or so and it seems there is still a lot to conquer.

Boerseun

Banned
Dash Kappei said:
HALP!

This is what I recommend you download:

• all additional monsters
  • all additional floors
  • all additional expansion stages
  • ONLY the first item pack (500 points)

The additional costumes bestow status changes on your character, but these don't really enhance gameplay in any meaningful fashion (at 200 points a piece, and there are six to download, the total stands at 1200 points).

Also, you can leave out the additional items beyond the first item pack. The additional items amount to a total of 1000 points but are all a bit worthless (they make the game slightly easier though).

That leaves 4500 points for all the stuff I recommended above.

Also, having spent three hours with My Life as a Darklord I can definitely say the game is challenging and fun to play, but so far doesn't strike me as nearly as involving or addictive as the rather brilliant My Life as a King (total 4500 points for game and ALL additional content).

Roto13

I just wanted to say that Pulseman is fantastic. So glad this came out, because I really wouldn't have had the opportunity to play this properly otherwise.

Also, Squenix can suck my butt with it's My Life as a Dark Lord DLC. I'm cool with Final Fantasy IV: The After Years because all together, it's still less than what I gladly would have paid for it if it were a DS game, but this is a whole new level.

CTLance

I bought MLAADL the night it came out, played it for one and a half hour.

I was not pleased.
I noticed that as neat as it is, it's nowhere near MLAAK's genius, the darklord with her three voice samples got on my nerves, and generally the game rubbed me the wong way. Then I browsed though the insane DLC catalogue in bewilderment and shrugged it off as a game I would not spend much time with...

Today I look at my log on the wii and notice that when I had friends over yesterday we played the damn game for six and a half hours. :lol

I give up. Square, you win. I still don't exactly see why we spent so much time with it, but it was fun and involving enough for four (sober) guys and two gals to sit down and play it for hours on end, and honestly... 10 € for that amount of fun is a good deal. Gonna have to pursue my own quest for world domination now, brb, building towers.

Insaniac

ivedoneyourmom said:
Ugh, I hate DSiWare. They don't have anything, they never update it with anything worth as much as the charge, I wish they would put a VC on it. Is the DSiWare situation better in Japan, or is it pretty much the same?

wrong.

Artstyle Aquia, Boxlife, pictobits, minis march again, all are addicting easy pickupandplay type games. There are much more but I can speak for those personally.

BooJoh

ivedoneyourmom said:
Just curious, what DSiWare titles have you purchased so far?

HUELEN10

Let's see here...
NINTENDO DOWNLOAD: ART, CARDS AND CRYSTALS HAVE GAMERS SEEING SPOTS

July 20, 2009

Looking for a big name to bolster your downloading agenda this week? We've got two words for you: FINAL FANTASY®. The latest additions to the ever-growing WiiWare™ game library include the new FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES®: My Life as a Darklord™, plus a fast-paced poker title and a brain-teasing party game that everyone in the household can enjoy. Also this week, the Nintendo DSiWare™ service welcomes a slick new installment in the Art Style™ series, mixing extraordinary sounds and visuals to create a captivating puzzle game.

WiiWare

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a Darklord
Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Step into the royal shoes of the Darklord's daughter as she installs traps and monsters inside her tower to fight back the endless waves of invading adventurers in this world-conquest RPG. Known as Artifacts, these monsters and traps are your only hope in keeping the adventurers from destroying the Dark Crystal on the top floor. Fly your tower across the land and conquer every stage on your way to dominating the entire world.

Battle Poker
Publisher: Left Field Productions
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Battle Poker is a family-friendly card game with up to four players battling against the clock to make the best five-card hand possible. Battles are played across multiple rounds, and points are scored for each round based on the quality of the hand. Each player uses a Wii Remote™ controller to point and click on a standard deck of cards on the screen. The first click flips the card over, at which point it can be grabbed by anyone else. You've got to have fast fingers and eyes to grab the cards you need before someone else snatches them.

5 Spots Party
Publisher: Cosmonaut Games
Players: 1-4
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Have fun with the entire family and compete in three different play modes. 5 Spots Party is a game of skill for all ages based on the popular game of finding five differences. The goal is to find the greatest number of differences in the pictures shown. In the party modes, you must compete with other players and find as many mistakes as possible. In the 1-Player mode, you must find the differences before time runs out in order to beat the game's highest scores. How far do you think you can go?

Nintendo DSiWare

Art Style: ZENGAGE™
Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Do you dream of relaxing with a great puzzle game? Art Style: ZENGAGE revolves around sliding cells (squares) to match colors with cores (beads) located on the board. Clear each stage by matching all of the cores and cells. As you progress through the game's 100-plus stages, you'll encounter cells with special characteristics, such as immovability, which further add to the challenge. To truly master ZENGAGE, you must keep your mind sharp and employ careful strategy to complete stages in as few moves as possible. Combining wistful graphics and mesmerizing sound, ZENGAGE creates a surreal world that should be experienced by all puzzle gaming fans.

Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo DSi Shop™ and the Wii Shop Channel at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Mondays. Users with broadband Internet access can redeem Wii Points or Nintendo DSi Points to download the games. Wii Points can be purchased in the Wii Shop Channel. Nintendo DSi Points can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Nintendo Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one Nintendo Points Card must be redeemed in either the Nintendo DSi Shop or the Wii Shop Channel. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.
FAIL

zigg

Insaniac said:
Artstyle Aquia, Boxlife, pictobits, minis march again, all are addicting easy pickupandplay type games. There are much more but I can speak for those personally.

Er, well, I'm very happy with DSiWare and all, but I wouldn't say "much" more at this point...

HUELEN10 said:

Art Style is never fail!

though it might be less than fabulous

Is this that Bemrem... Lembem... Zempem or whatever game?

Wilsongt

HUELEN10 said:
Indeed, but this PR and the other games, and the fact that there is no VC this week is pure fail!

They released two last week so they obviously had to skip a week to compensate.

BooJoh

So, for anyone who's played the art style game already, how is it?

I got PiCTOBiTS and Boxlife, but this one looks a little dull. And I imagine once you complete the 100 puzzles there will be no replay value whatsoever.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think that Nintendo doesn't want our money anymore.

There are far too many great games still unreleased for them to not give us anything on the VC.

I guess we'll learn not to complain about the weeks when we get "only one game."

Somnid

Wilsongt said:
They released two last week so they obviously had to skip a week to compensate.

I think this is probably it. Basically we're doing the Europe thing, but the amount has dropped any farther...yet.

Mekere

CTLance said:
I bought MLAADL the night it came out, played it for one and a half hour.

I was not pleased.
I noticed that as neat as it is, it's nowhere near MLAAK's genius, the darklord with her three voice samples got on my nerves, and generally the game rubbed me the wong way. Then I browsed though the insane DLC catalogue in bewilderment and shrugged it off as a game I would not spend much time with...

Today I look at my log on the wii and notice that when I had friends over yesterday we played the damn game for six and a half hours. :lol

I give up. Square, you win. I still don't exactly see why we spent so much time with it, but it was fun and involving enough for four (sober) guys and two gals to sit down and play it for hours on end, and honestly... 10 € for that amount of fun is a good deal. Gonna have to pursue my own quest for world domination now, brb, building towers.

I also find MLAAD less charming than MLAAK and was a little disappointed when I played it first. The firsts dungeon are pretty boring due to lack of choice in floors and monsters but it went better with the chapter 2.
I don't think I will buy any DLC like I did for MLAAK but overall the game is good and kicking Chime's ass made me happy :D (That will teach her sending me to bed too early!)

Somnid said:
Basically we're doing the Europe thing, but the amount has dropped any farther...yet.

There are too many WiiWare games lately to do only one or the other each week. This strikes me as probably a scheduling goof.

zigg

HUELEN10 said:
Indeed, but this PR and the other games, and the fact that there is no VC this week is pure fail!

I can't really remember the last time I saw something on VC I wanted. I went back to some old stuff I missed before fairly recently, actually.

There's always that list of things I'd get if they ever did show up, but they're not for whatever reason... I've basically given up on them ever showing up.

So I don't really give VC any thought anymore, honestly. I very much prefer to see the new and cool stuff.

Somnid

Jonnyboy117 said:
There are too many WiiWare games lately to do only one or the other each week. This strikes me as probably a scheduling goof.

I kinda doubt it's a regular thing but they wanted to put out last week's imports at the same time but the VC pipe is probably pretty dry so instead of a freebie they felt the need to subtract from the following week. I meant it more that it feels like Europe.

Oli

Well new Art Style and FFCC is nice. Definitely disappointed about no VC though, especially after it seemed to be picking up last week.

Oh well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
You guys whine about the VC update (or lack of it) every single week.

Do you guys figure it's not even close to possible that you have played all the great games available on the virtual platform right now, so there is no reason to complain (apart from trolling)?

HUELEN10

crowphoenix said:
No VC this week? Well, looks like Nintendo has raised the bar again.
& what bar did they raise this time? I lost track. ;)
Brazil said:
You guys whine about the VC update (or lack of it) every single week.

Do you guys figure it's not even close to possible that you have played all the great games available on the virtual platform right now, so there is no reason to complain (apart from trolling)?
Speak for yourself...
A lot of us actually buy these things, so stuff like this makes us sad and/or pissed off.

Brazil

HUELEN10 said:
Speak for yourself...
A lot of us actually buy these things, so stuff like this makes us sad and/or pissed off.
I buy these things.

The problem is that it seems that the only point in complaining for most is complaining. I don't know - do you guys really expect them to release 3 VC games a week again, now that they have the WiiWare and DSiWare services to update simultaneously?

That would be just silly.

HUELEN10

Brazil said:
I buy these things.

The problem is that it seems that the only point in complaining for most is complaining. I don't know - do you guys really expect them to release 3 VC games a week again, now that they have the WiiWare and DSiWare services to update simultaneously?

That would be just silly.
Why would it be silly? Besides, what about those games that are in other regions and not here? We NEED Smash Bros, there is no excuse as to why we don't have it, and a no VC week when they could have just released THAT for example, pisses people off and rightly so!

NOA has dropped the ball way too many fucking times, especially with Majora's Mask. They waited and waited and waited, just so it would be the 300th game. Read the archives, and you will see that most of us thought that was BS.

There is simply no excuse whatsoever for a no VC week. I think most will agree.

Brazil

HUELEN10 said:
Why would it be silly? Besides, what about those games that are in other regions and not here? We NEED Smash Bros, there is no excuse as to why we don't have it, and a no VC week when they could have just released THAT for example, pisses people off and rightly so!

NOA has dropped the ball way too many fucking times, especially with Majora's Mask. They waited and waited and waited, just so it would be the 300th game. Read the archives, and you will see that most of us thought that was BS.

There is simply no excuse whatsoever for a no VC week. I think most will agree.
It's pretty easy to figure how it would be silly, actually. If you release 3 VC games, 3 WiiWare games and 3 DSiWare games (or whatever) every week, (normal) people won't have time to play the games they bought until the next week, and won't buy more of them until they're done with those released in the past weeks. Releasing 5 or 6 games each week (like the past few weeks), people have time to play the games they bought until the next ones are released.

And I'm pretty sure they'll start releasing 2 games for each platform every week once they run out of WiiWare games waiting in the line to show up.

Also, when they release Smash Bros., "where is my Earthbound/Star Fox/Final Fantasy/etc.?! Damn you Nintendo!" will be all over this thread again. It never ends. It's kind of irritating. Settle down a bit.

HUELEN10

Brazil said:
It's pretty easy to figure how it would be silly, actually. If you release 3 VC games, 3 WiiWare games and 3 DSiWare games (or whatever) every week, (normal) people won't have time to play the games they bought until the next week, and won't buy more of them until they're done with those released in the past weeks. Releasing 5 or 6 games each week (like the past few weeks), people have time to play the games they bought until the next ones are released.

And I'm pretty sure they'll start releasing 2 games for each platform every week once they run out of WiiWare games waiting for a release.

Also, when they release Smash Bros., "where is my Earthbound/Star Fox/Final Fantasy/etc.?! Damn you Nintendo!" will be all over this thread again. It never ends. It's kind of irritating. Settle down a bit.
No one is saying that release 3 games of each i realistic, but on the otherhand there is no reason preventing it, with the exception of avoiding "the clog down the line", as you said. Smash Bros was a mere example, and unlike Earthbound, is restricted by nothing. Starfox hasn't been in any region yet, so it's cool. I will not comment on Final Fantasy. Point is, a 1 VC game a week deal is bad enough, or some of us at least. No VC makes no sense to some of us, because we don't think it directly influences the increase or decline of WiiWare sales all of the time. Take this week for example, we got Darklord, poker, and what seems to be shovelware. To the core gamer, would the number of VC games released this week effect the outcome of him or her purchasing the shovelware? Of course not. To the casual who likes WiiWare, will a maybe not that common, yet awesome, VC game affect thier purchasing choice? I don't think it will. All I am saying is that a no VC week seems pretty BS to me. As for Darklord in the above scenario, the core gamer knew it was coming, and has been getting ready for it. If something comes up that they want on VC, I don't think they will lose a sale, but rather eventually gain a sale.

ravien56

Brazil said:

And I'm pretty sure they'll start releasing 2 games for each platform every week once they run out of WiiWare games waiting in the line to show up.

I don't think anyone is getting upset here. When Majora's Mask came out, there was a huge fucking celebration in this thread, threads were made, etc etc. Yea Star Fox would be nice, but anyone complaining about wanting game X just wants it because they want to play it. Don't see a problem really. That's what this thread is for.

Brazil

HUELEN10 said:
No one is saying that release 3 games of each i realistic, but on the otherhand there is no reason preventing it, with the exception of avoiding "the clog down the line", as you said. Smash Bros was a mere example, and unlike Earthbound, is restricted by nothing. Starfox hasn't been in any region yet, so it's cool. I will not comment on Final Fantasy. Point is, a 1 VC game a week deal is bad enough, or some of us at least. No VC makes no sense to some of us, because we don't think it directly influences the increase or decline of WiiWare sales all of the time. Take this week for example, we got Darklord, poker, and what seems to be shovelware. To the core gamer, would the number of VC games released this week effect the outcome of him or her purchasing the shovelware? Of course not. To the casual who likes WiiWare, will a maybe not that common, yet awesome, VC game affect thier purchasing choice? I don't think it will. All I am saying is that a no VC week seems pretty BS to me. As for Darklord in the above scenario, the core gamer knew it was coming, and has been getting ready for it. If something comes up that they want on VC, I don't think they will lose a sale, but rather eventually gain a sale.
I understand what you're saying here, but that is not my point. I'm not talking specifically about this week. I actually agree that a no-VC week is BS. What bothers me is the fact that, even when good games are released on the platform, at least 10 people complain on this topic, like there aren't other 4 or 5 games to be downloaded on the other platforms and this is the last week of their lifes.
ravien56 said:
I don't think anyone is getting upset here. When Majora's Mask came out, there was a huge fucking celebration in this thread, threads were made, etc etc. Yea Star Fox would be nice, but anyone complaining about wanting game X just wants it because they want to play it. Don't see a problem really. That's what this thread is for.
Meh. I guess. I just think that people don't need to say it like they are desperate for not getting their games for another week.

HUELEN10

Capndrake said:
Europe has already had 11 VC-less weeks this year, only seems fair to me that the US gets one too.
You got MM before us. :D But yeah, it sucks!
Brazil said:
I understand what you're saying here, but that is not my point. I'm not talking specifically about this week. I actually agree that a no-VC week is BS. What bothers me is the fact that, even when good games are released on the platform, at least 10 people complain on this topic, like there aren't other 4 or 5 games to be downloaded on the other platforms and this is the last week of their lifes.
Gotcha!

Top Bottom