• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Showing love for the ArtStyle DSiWare games, have we got them all now? They're the DSi' killer-apps, in my opinion. Interesting about there being no LH mode in Base10, that seems like a pretty simple fix though... Too bad there's no real way for them to offer updates to DSiWare, is there?

Man God said:
Sure, I can understand being peeved when a book style DS game doesn't have lefty mode. But complaining when something like Prime 3 doesn't? :lol :lol :lol

I'm left handed and I'm better than most at any Wii FPS.

It's disorienting to me for my LH to be moving and the onscreen RH to do the action. I find it awkward. Aonuma's playtesters found it awkward. Especially with an "immersive" First Person point of view involving manual manipulation, rather than a static gun sitting there.

Why not have the option?

the_painted_bird said:
Showing love for the ArtStyle DSiWare games, have we got them all now? They're the DSi' killer-apps, in my opinion. Interesting about there being no LH mode in Base10, that seems like a pretty simple fix though... Too bad there's no real way for them to offer updates to DSiWare, is there?

Yes there is, as mentioned before. You can "update" a game by having the user redownload it. It's how they fixed a bug in Military Madness VC and supposed optimisiations in Star Fox 64.

lyre

SonOfABeep said:
And Earthbound!
I can tell you right now, you can completely lose all hope for this cause it ain't coming out; ever.

They'll release a billion Ness and Lucas related merchandise to leech off of you peons (and you will pay too) before they'll do anything to the dead franchise.

HUELEN10

Dragona Akehi said:
It's disorienting to me for my LH to be moving and the onscreen RH to do the action. I find it awkward. Aonuma's playtesters found it awkward. Especially with an "immersive" First Person point of view involving manual manipulation, rather than a static gun sitting there.

Why not have the option?
Laziness and nothing more sadly...

:(

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Dragona Akehi said:
The response I received had the audacity to say to look for games that "advertised LH compatibility" in the meantime. None of the games on Nintendo's website, WiiWare, or DSiShop show anything of the sort, one way or the other.

Well, many GAFfers blame gamers when X game doesn't sell, when they should blame companies. It's no surprise that they should blame someone for being left-handed.

HUELEN10

lyre said:
I can tell you right now, you can completely lose all hope for this cause it ain't coming out; ever.

They'll release a billion Ness and Lucas related merchandise to leech off of you peons (and you will pay too) before they'll do anything to the dead franchise.
But why though? I mean, I know it will never happen of course, but what is the specific reason? Is it really a licensing issue, or is that just a BS excuse they made up?

I think I stated in the base10 thread that it's a big con for me that there is no lefty option. But on the other hand I never thought about mailing Nintendo because of this tbh.
But I'll do this now because Dragona, you are right. This has to stop. A lefty option for Wii games would be great as well though.

Jiggy

Brazil said:
You guys whine about the VC update (or lack of it) every single week.

Do you guys figure it's not even close to possible that you have played all the great games available on the virtual platform right now, so there is no reason to complain (apart from trolling)?
I've persistently checked YouTube videos of just about every VC game I never played, and wound up buying 77 in total so far. The only one I think might be great that I haven't played either on VC or on its original system is Pulseman--and that's only because I'm out of state.

3roam

Neo Member
Caesar III said:
I think I stated in the base10 thread that it's a big con for me that there is no lefty option. But on the other hand I never thought about mailing Nintendo because of this tbh.
But I'll do this now because Dragona, you are right. This has to stop. A lefty option for Wii games would be great as well though.

Definetely needs to done for DS, Wii isnt as big a issue right now... (Although im still pissed they changed Link to a right-hander)

lyre

HUELEN10 said:
But why though? I mean, I know it will never happen of course, but what is the specific reason? Is it really a licensing issue, or is that just a BS excuse they made up?
Because philistines like you will happily throw money at them anyway regardless if they release the game or not. Same amount of profit, none of the work, period.

I'm going to continue giving the VC crap until this mythical game that I can't think of right now is made available on the service. Once this one game arrives I will defend the VC with infinite zeal against any and all future bashing(course when everyone finds out what this amazing game is they'll cease their VC-bashing as well).

billy.sea

Banned
I feel like Nintendo is just throwing the name "Art Style" to all their DSi games. Can these games just exist on their own without the name? Feels like they are milking a 'name'.

HUELEN10

lyre said:
Because philistines like you will happily throw money at them anyway regardless if they release the game or not. Same amount of profit, none of the work, period.
Not my fault I'm a Mario nut. I can't not be hooked on the brothers!
:(

Philistine huh? Nice choice of word, I like the cut of your jib.

Supa

PepsimanVsJoe said:
I'm going to continue giving the VC crap until this mythical game that I can't think of right now is made available on the service. Once this one game arrives I will defend the VC with infinite zeal against any and all future bashing(course when everyone finds out what this amazing game is they'll cease their VC-bashing as well).

Well to be fair, I'm sure everyone has a different must-have game they want on the Wii VC. As for really obvious titles, there's a few left on my list that I'd rather see sooner than later...

N64: PilotWings 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Space Station Silicon Valley, Blast Corps, GoldenEye 007, Goemon Mystical Ninja 64, Rayman 2.

SNES: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, Super Mario Kart, EarthBound.

NES: Duck Hunt, Batman, and don't get me started on Little Nemo the Dream Master.

At least some of these are coming to Virtual Console soon.

3roam

Neo Member
Supa said:
Well to be fair, I'm sure everyone has a different must-have game they want on the Wii VC. As for really obvious titles, there's a few left on my list that I'd rather see sooner than later...

N64: PilotWings 64, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Space Station Silicon Valley, Blast Corps, GoldenEye 007, Goemon Mystical Ninja 64, Rayman 2.

SNES: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island, Super Mario Kart, EarthBound.

NES: Duck Hunt, Batman, and don't get me started on Little Nemo the Dream Master.

At least some of these are coming to Virtual Console soon.

Sorry but you wont be seeing anything from Rare that doesnt have a Nintendo licence (Donkey Kong 64?) while they are tied to Microsoft. Espicially not Goldeneye which also has the the third-party (Activision?).

Dragmire

billy.sea said:
I feel like Nintendo is just throwing the name "Art Style" to all their DSi games. Can these games just exist on their own without the name? Feels like they are milking a 'name'.
Well, the Art Style games are all developed by god's gift to quirky Japanese gaming: Skip.

Caesar III said:

The only way to make Nintendo (and other companies) change policy is to pressure them via direct contact or reporting them to the Trading Standards, Better Business Bureau etc. Hopefully this can raise enough of a stink...

3roam said:
Definetely needs to done for DS, Wii isnt as big a issue right now... (Although im still pissed they changed Link to a right-hander)

While I hate to keep harping on an almost four year old game, Aonuma himself stated they changed the game for the benefit of gameplay: that testers in Japan who were right handed got disoriented over a left handed Link. I just don't understand how they thought mirroring the entire world, but neglecting to keep a left handed Link available for left handed people was a good idea.

This is why this is so worrisome for me. There aren't other options for DS stylus games like there was for TP.

3roam

Neo Member
Dragona Akehi said:
The only way to make Nintendo (and other companies) change policy is to pressure them via direct contact or reporting them to the Trading Standards, Better Business Bureau etc. Hopefully this can raise enough of a stink...

Im happy to help you take this as far as I can. How should I (and anyone else who would like to) go about making a complaint?

3roam said:
Im happy to help you take this as far as I can. How should I (and anyone else who would like to) go about making a complaint?

Email or, more preferably, ring your Nintendo distributor and explain your situation. See if you can speak to a supervisor and tell them that this is inexcusable, and ask them what they are going to do. If they say "nothing" then report them to your local Trading Standards/Better Business Bureau/etc. That might do something.

3roam

Neo Member
Dragona Akehi said:
Email or, more preferably, ring your Nintendo distributor and explain your situation. See if you can speak to a supervisor and tell them that this is inexcusable, and ask them what they are going to do. If they say "nothing" then report them to your local Trading Standards/Better Business Bureau/etc. That might do something.

Ok I will look at doing that in the next day or two, I urge anyone else who thinks this is unacceptable to do the same.

Roto13

3roam said:
(Although im still pissed they changed Link to a right-hander)
It was just replacing a button press with a motion! Augh! The flipping did nothing but irritate the fans like me who care too much about stuff like that. :p

HUELEN10

Dragona Akehi said:
Wouldn't that lead you nowhere fast? I mean though your situation sucks, all sales from the Shop channels are final. I see this as a case of "buyer beware". I agree with you, and I think this is inexcusable, but I just don't see how you can realistically think they will do jack shit. You said yourself that you want a refund, and I simply don't see that happening. I want to help the cause though.

Do you think calling the USA corporate office on behalf of the entire forum would do anything to aid the cause though? Seems a bit drastic, but could it work? This is obviously sheer laziness and nothing more, an the least you lefties deserve is a refund and an apology for their incompetence.

3roam

Neo Member
HUELEN10 said:
Wouldn't that lead you nowhere fast? I mean though your situation sucks, all sales from the Shop channels are final. I see this as a case of "buyer beware". I agree with you, and I think this is inexcusable, but I just don't see how you can realistically think they will do jack shit. You said yourself that you want a refund, and I simply don't see that happening. I want to help the cause though.

Do you think calling the USA corporate office on behalf of the entire forum would do anything to aid the cause though? Seems a bit drastic, but could it work? This is obviously sheer laziness and nothing more, an the least you lefties deserve is a refund and an apology for their incompetence.

We also deserve to be able to experience the game...

HUELEN10

3roam said:
We also deserve to be able to experience the game...
I know that, as I said I agree and want to help, but this really seems like a case of "buyer beware". Just because it's legal does not make it right! I feel for you guys, you do deserve to be able to play this game.

3roam

Neo Member
HUELEN10 said:
I know that, as I said I agree and want to help, but this really seems like a case of "buyer beware". Just because it's legal does not make it right! I feel for you guys, you do deserve to be able to play this game.

Yeh I completely agree with you and thankyou for understanding. :)
Its just a little bit annoying. Im going to let my anger out by writing a blog post about it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Dragona Akehi said:
agreed. a stink needs to be made in this case. i, for one, am pissed that one of my favorite games right now (base10) cannot be experienced by people who'd otherwise enjoy it possibly as much as i do.

what puzzles me, though, is how come nintendo don't have a single left-handed QA on the various ds pipelines (retail, dsiware).

I just don't understand how they thought mirroring the entire world, but neglecting to keep a left handed Link available for left handed people was a good idea.
they did not change anything in the game assets - they just flipped a sign in the game's main viewport projection matrix, and likewise in the wiimote/joystick routines. the only thing that had to be 'mirrored' were printed materials - manuals, etc.

3roam

Neo Member
blu said:
agreed. a stink needs to be made in this case. i, for one, am pissed that one of my favorite games right now (base10) cannot be experienced by people who'd otherwise enjoy it possibly as much as i do.

what puzzles me, though, is how come nintendo don't have a single left-handed QA on the various ds pipelines (retail, dsiware).

That is a good point.

All right, Lefty-Gaf assemble, lets tell Nintendo this is not acceptable (they have been very good in the past so they shouldnt have made a mistake now). Not just for Base 10 but for all future games that need Left handed controls!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
I'll be contacted by a supervisor in a couple of days. I informed them I wanted either a promise of a fix or a refund. Preferably a fix and a proper policy added to all games for Wii and DS stating that they must be LH compatible, including changing animations or model etc.

Of course, last time I complained about this, GAF blamed me for "failing" rather than Nintendo. :p

Bah... you're reminding me that I never remembered to complain about Rotohex for being entirely unplayable for someone with mild color-blindness.

HUELEN10

DavidDayton said:
Bah... you're reminding me that I never remembered to complain about Rotohex for being entirely unplayable for someone with mild color-blindness.
Wow, really? Man that sucks. :(

Ranger X

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I knew it was impossible that NOA would stay at 2 games a week. They even want to stay statistically perfect at 1 per week.

Next up:
"Oh, we are putting an end to the VC because it doesn't sell much anyways and prevent some Wiiware sales".

Roto13

Does anyone have pictures of the Final Fantasy IV summons in My Life as a Darklord? I'm curious to see what they look like, but not $14 curious. :p

Insaniac

2k never put southpaw options in bioshock, i spent 70 dollars on the collectors edition, and I haven't played past the first level yet.

Not having lefty options is a complete outrage.

Soooo because there are no VC sales this week, there's already jokes/speculation/etc.. about Nintendo 'canceling' VC. Riiiiiiight. :lol

VC is basically free money to them. It's going to last until the end of the life cycle of the Wii and then continue into the next console or a spiritual successor.

DavidDayton said:

That's another thing that really needs to be screened for. It's an utter travesty it has not received attention at all despite being a problem with games since their first inception...

You ought to do that and complain about LH mode. I'll be sure to bring up Rotohex in return.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Dragona Akehi said:
That's another thing that really needs to be screened for. It's an utter travesty it has not received attention at all despite being a problem with games since their first inception...

You ought to do that and complain about LH mode. I'll be sure to bring up Rotohex in return.

The problem is that it seems less than effective to complain this long AFTER purchasing the title.

Somnid

I think the better way would be to bring it to the media attention. Most people don't know or don't care, and so this little band you guys are starting is going to get no where because you're already bound by the EULA saying all sales are final. If you want more attention to these topics, which I agree are important the best way would be to find someone with some weight to ask about it and make it an issue.

Somnid

slaughterking said:
So apparently the originial FFIV hits the japanese VC in August.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/21/ffiv_vc/

No surprises there. September will be Final Fantasy 5 and October will be Final Fantasy 6 by the schedual they've set up. Given the lead time the US would need for them to release all the Final Fantasies since it would only be getting 3 of them, I'd say the US version will probably start sometime around Septemberish.

3roam

Neo Member
Somnid said:
I think the better way would be to bring it to the media attention. Most people don't know or don't care, and so this little band you guys are starting is going to get no where because you're already bound by the EULA saying all sales are final. If you want more attention to these topics, which I agree are important the best way would be to find someone with some weight to ask about it and make it an issue.
I agree. Im lucky I havnt purchased this game, I was about to before I read it wouldnt work for me being lefty. If any of you guys know any media that would be likely to listen please let them know (I will do the same), if this gets the slightest bit of coverage then Nintendo might realise they have made a mistake and correct it and make sure it doesnt happen again.

mclem

Just musing about the Wii problem, I wonder if the issue is not the way the Wii itself is set up, but the fact that every console previously has been the other way around.

I was curious about the mention of Dragona having issues controlling Mario with her right thumb; it threw me because I should logically have the same difficulty controlling him with my *left* thumb - but then, I've had years upon years of situations training me to use the left thumb for fine control, so I've picked up the motor skills required.

It strikes me that if this were to ever go to court (which it won't, of course), and Nintendo had to defend themselves with an army of lawyers, I suspect the tack they'd use is something along those lines - that in principle this system is no worse than has been foisted on right-handed people since time immemorial and that you would adapt with time; also, coming in as an entirely new player - as many Wii players are - you'd be no better or worse off either way. In other words, your problems are due to previous conditioning, not due to the setup of the Wii controls.

I'm certainly not saying that's a good argument, I hasten to add, but I can imagine it swaying a court when delivered by lawyers far smarter than myself.

I think Zelda probably contains the key, ultimately, to the best solution for the Wii problem - the option to flip the entire game would give the correct perception. Would be a pain to handle textures which require a specific orientation, though (signage, for instance), and it'd probably be tricky to talk to a friend when you have differing points of reference!

CTLance

VGChampion said:
Okay, so I'm interested in both games and let's just say for discussion sakes I want to get both games eventually. Would I be better off playing Dark Lord first since it seems MLAAK is better? I definitely want to pick up both some time soon so I would assume if the first one is better received I should go with this new one and then get the better experience.
I wouldn't say one is better than the other, at least not yet. I have yet to find out what keeps me coming back to MLAADL. I spent 20 in-game days in MLAAK yesterday evening and I do think I prefer it over MLAADL, but you really should try to find someone with both and give both a short testplay. Maybe watching youtube videos is good enough? I don't know. My tastes are pretty strange sometimes, and I'm willing to forgive many things the avergae gamer chokes on.

Both games are incredibly different anyway. One is more of a Hero Manager Sim with added Sim City bits and glued together with liquified Crack Cocaine, the other is a pretty unique take on the Tower Defense genre with the Crack Cocaine probably dissolved into aerosols and DLC.

One features a silent kid in puffy trousers that make him look like he's still wearing diapers, the other an incredibly annoying birdbrained blabbermouth in a ridonculous outfit.

One keeps you inside of menus or the worldmap most of the time (MLAADL), the other demands a bit of menu-ing at the start of the day and will leave you to do your things on foot in real time for the majority of the gameplay.

There are some technical problems with MLAAK. When you order a new building, the framerate will drop to its knees and beg for mercy (single digits? feels like it) until the summoning/building animation has completed (even if it's being played offscreen). It will also sometimes choke when you call for Chime and if you're moving around too fast in your city, and it gets worse the bigger your city gets. MLAADL is buttery-smooth so far, but in all honesty, there's a whole lot less going on anyway, so that's kind of expected.

Then there's the fact that when you load up MLAAK you'll see your city behind the main menu, with people going about their business, just like in the game. In MLAADL it seems like you just get this starry sky (and no intro animation or attract mode), and that's it. Takes a bit away from the experience, IMHO.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'd just like to mention that none of this hullabaloo would happen if Nintendo had a sensible patching architecture. On every other platform with puzzle games, games that are colourblind-unfriendly or otherwise insensitive to disabilities can and are patched to correct these issues.

mclem said:
Just musing about the Wii problem, I wonder if the issue is not the way the Wii itself is set up, but the fact that every console previously has been the other way around.

I was curious about the mention of Dragona having issues controlling Mario with her right thumb; it threw me because I should logically have the same difficulty controlling him with my *left* thumb - but then, I've had years upon years of situations training me to use the left thumb for fine control, so I've picked up the motor skills required.

Very few people use left-handed mice. Very very few. Actually, I've only met two or three in my life. Not every lefty plays guitar lefty. Not every lefty bats left or golfs left. But virtually everyone left-handed writes with their left hand, and thus uses a pen with their left hand, and thus is sensitized to using a stylus with their left hand. For the Wii, I link pointing to writing and thus associate the pointer hand with my left hand.

Somnid

Stumpokapow said:
I'd just like to mention that none of this hullabaloo would happen if Nintendo had a sensible patching architecture. On every other platform with puzzle games, games that are colourblind-unfriendly or otherwise insensitive to disabilities can and are patched to correct these issues.

Doesn't matter one way or the other. They'd have to replace the game as it is on the servers whether or not it could be patched. Also, given the size of DSiWare the entire game is smaller than a ton of retail game patches so it's hardly an issue on the consumer end either. I think the hurdle is the testing certification and whether or not it's worth spending the money to fix it.

Netto-kun

Japanese Wii Shop Channel got Final Fantasy III (500 points) and Final Fantasy IV: The After Year -Return of the Moon- (800 points).

I've been quite addicted to Mario vs DK: Minis March Again. I got 81 gold stars. :D Such a great game.

Anyway, I've been playing some "Lite" games on my iPhone such as Assassin's Creed and Resident Evil Degeneration, and I can't help but feeling that the games would control SO much better on DS.

Having seen some iPhone games heading towards DSiWare such as Real Soccer and Asphalt, it makes me hopeful for some App Store games to head over too; such as Assassin's Creed, Resident Evil Degeneration, or even Resident Evil 4.

Hell, if they could manage a Doom Resurrection port (downgraded of course), maybe they could even add in full-body movement.

Putting the games on WiiWare wouldn't be too shabby either, especially considering Doom Resurrection started out as a Wii game.

What do you guys think? Am I being too hopeful?:lol

Top Bottom