• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1943 Sells 600,000 Copies, Becomes Fastest Selling Game On XBLA And PSN

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Battlefield 1943 has now become the fastest selling downloadable game on both XBLA and PSN, and has sold 600,000 copies so far. I hope this means we get more awesome games like this in the future. Yahoo has a copy of the press release it seems.

Yahoo said:
STOCKHOLM--(BUSINESS WIRE)--DICE, an Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ:ERTS - News) studio, today announced that Battlefield 1943™ is the fastest selling day one and week one download-only game worldwide on Xbox LIVE™ Marketplace. It is also the fastest selling day one and week one download-only game on the PlayStation®Network in North America. Overall since its launch on July 8th, Battlefield 1943 has sold over 600,000 copies on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Network.

“We are honoured by the reception that the game has received so far,” says Gordon Van Dyke, Producer on Battlefield 1943. “Watching and participating in this non-stop multiplayer action has been a real treat for us and we can’t believe how fast our fans reached 43 million kills. We can now truly say that we have set a new standard for what can be done in the downloadable games category and gamers recognize the endless value that Battlefield 1943 provides for just $15.”

Battlefield 1943 is an award-winning First-Person Shooter multiplayer game that G4tv.com says is “…a steal. Great sound, great graphics, great fun, and great price.” IGN even says that “Battlefield 1943 is an impressive package that sets a new standard for digital titles.”

Battlefield 1943 is an all-new download-only multiplayer action game that brings DICE’s first-class WWII action to gamers. The game introduces two thrilling modes where 24 players can compete across four classic WWII Battlefield maps: Wake Island, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima and Coral Sea. These maps are inspired by the award winning Battlefield 1942™ game, and have been redesigned and reengineered from the ground up using the DICE Frostbite™ engine allowing players to wreak havoc and destruction via land, sea or air.

After the worldwide community challenge officially began on Friday, July 10 at 19:43 CET, the Coral Sea map is now unlocked for both the Xbox LIVE and PlayStation communities. The Xbox LIVE community reached the goal of 43 million kills in just 5 days, with the PlayStation community hitting the mark in 8 days.

Battlefield 1943 is now available on Xbox LIVE Marketplace and the PlayStation Network for 1200 MS Points or $15. Gamers who already played the trial and their time expired can access the free 30-minute trial version again on both Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network as of July 18.

For more information on Battlefield 1943 please visit www.battlefield1943.com. Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/OfficialBF1943.

About Electronic Arts

Electronic Arts Inc. (EA), headquartered in Redwood City, California, is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. Founded in 1982, the Company develops, publishes, and distributes interactive software worldwide for video game systems, personal computers, wireless devices and the Internet. Electronic Arts markets its products under four brand names: EATM, EA SPORTSTM, EA MobileTM and POGOTM. In fiscal 2009, EA posted GAAP net revenue of $4.2 billion and had 31 titles that sold more than one million copies. EA's homepage and online game site is www.ea.com. More information about EA's products and full text of press releases can be found on the Internet at http://info.ea.com.

EA, EA SPORTS, EA Mobile and POGO are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Battlefield 1943, Battlefield 1942 and Frostbite are trademarks or registered trademarks of EA Digital Illusions CE AB. “PlayStation” and “PLAYSTATION” are registered trademarks of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Microsoft, Xbox and Xbox LIVE are trademarks of the Microsoft group of companies and are used under license from Microsoft.
Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/EAs-Battlefield-1943-Shatters-bw-2786590460.html?x=0&.v=1

Rightfully so. Fucking awesome game. I seriously hope that in the midst of this success they give Battlefield Vietnam the same treatment.

profit

Well its a fun game, expected no less.
Has there been any news on what they're planning to do with updates?
Edit: oh and gief medic class please.

Well deserved, it's an awesome game. Very accessible, which for someone who doesn't have hours upon hours to invest is great.

This may be one case where map packs won't divide the player base substantially. Who the hell wouldn't buy a $5 map pack for this awesome game?

Anybody know the combined sales for Bad Company on 360/PS3?

therapist

I knew a lot of people bought it but god damn!

Isnt the 4th map only unlocked after the community reaches a certain amount of points or whatnot?

Shouldnt take long =P

Edit : @ beer - Bad Company does not exist on PC.

andycapps

Congrats to them. Now more publishers need to take note and start putting these kinds of games up more often with this price point.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
profit said:
Euh, isnt this download only?

Err, yeah, but EA still needs to digitally ship the megabytes to Microsoft and Sony before they can ship them to you, and let's be honest--EA are master channel stuffers so it wouldn't come as a big surprise if they didn't send a few extra gigabytes to the platform holders.

Tobor

This is how all multiplayer shooters should be sold by the way. The game and the first 4 maps for $15, then additional for more maps. Your audience is online by default, so you're not losing any sales by skipping retail.

acm2000

Stumpokapow said:
Err, yeah, but EA still needs to digitally ship the megabytes to Microsoft and Sony before they can ship them to you, and let's be honest--EA are master channel stuffers so it wouldn't come as a big surprise if they didn't send a few extra gigabytes to the platform holders.

:lol haha, love it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ok, I am going have to put what I am playing on hold for a moment and get the Demo. Looks and sounds like a lot of fun.

McNei1y

This game deserved it. Such an awesome game. I hope new maps are incoming because it would make me jizz my pants even more.

Hopefully they keep coming out with Battlefield stuff on the arcade. Maybe Vietnam or Europe/Africa campaigns!?

dolemite

The Xbox LIVE community reached the goal of 43 million kills in just 5 days, with the PlayStation community hitting the mark in 8 days.
PSN users are not as bloodthirsty as the Live users confirmed.

This is the beginning of more multiplayer shooters on the XBLA/PSN. I like it. It's nice to have better quality games coming to the Arcade now.

Leunam

No need for Vietnam (yet), just add maps to 43 and keep the WWII era. Am I the only one that wants eastern front maps?

Tobor said:
This is how all multiplayer shooters should be sold by the way. The game and the first 4 maps for $15, then additional for more maps. Your audience is online by default, so you're not losing any sales by skipping retail.

I definitely want more multiplayer only dedicated shooters. Most series will of course continue to have a true dedicated single player portion and be sold through retail but there is no reason to force in a single player mode in some games that don't need it. I always liked that trend in PC shooters of multiplayer only games and then most devs seemed to move away from it.

Hopefully this sparks that movement for console shooters.

Leunam said:
No need for Vietnam (yet), just add maps to 43 and keep the WWII era. Am I the only one that wants eastern front maps?

It would be nice to have map packs based on different fronts. The last Listen UP podcast episode sort of spoke to this. I would also like to see the next set be more city based so we get a nice variety.

I am of course making the assumption that we will be getting DLC eventually which seems like a no brainer.

Top Bottom