• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1943 Sells 600,000 Copies, Becomes Fastest Selling Game On XBLA And PSN

Gowans

WOW that's huge in the short time it's been out, I'm sure a lot of others devs/publishers are taking note.

Quake, CoD all coming too & still continue to be surprised TF2 isn't there (after Portals release on XBLA).

If only Digital Downloads were in the NPD or PAL weekly sales charts I think they'd defo enter.

Tobor

Stoney Mason said:
I definitely want more multiplayer only dedicated shooters. Most series will of course continue to have a true dedicated single player portion and be sold through retail but there is no reason to force in a single player mode in some games that don't need it. I always liked that trend in PC shooters of multiplayer only games and then most devs seemed to move away from it.

Hopefully this sparks that movement for console shooters.

Everyone copies success, so hopefully the trend will move this way.

Fakto

profit said:
Euh, isnt this download only?

thats_the_joke.jpg

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gregor7777 said:
Oh, you'll get all the DLC you can handle son.
The devs said no DLC before the game launched to keep the game budget in check. Hopefully they'll reconsider now.

carlosp

Banned
bought, hated it :D No srsl. i hated the game haha but still put about 10 to 15 hours to get some trophies for my 15$ at least :)

Gowans007 said:
WOW that's huge in the short time it's been out, I'm sure a lot of others devs/publishers are taking note.

Quake, CoD all coming too & still continue to be surprised TF2 isn't there (after Portals release on XBLA).

If only Digital Downloads were in the NPD or PAL weekly sales charts I think they'd defo enter.

Epic need to get their finger out of their ass and get UT up there too.

chubigans said:
The devs said no DLC before the game launched to keep the game budget in check. Hopefully they'll reconsider now.

Yeah, that's about what I was driving at. With 600,000 people invested, they'd be nuts not pimp out some DLC.

MDSLKTR said:
Did it sell more than bad company :lol ?

Bad Company sold well over 1 million copies on both platforms. And of course this version is $15 dollars versus $60 so it's not really an even comparison.

Tobor

Stoney Mason said:
Bad Company sold well over 1 million copies on both platforms. And of course this version is $15 dollars versus $60 so it's not really an even comparison.

That being said, from an ROI perspective, 1943 would have to be more successful.

Rlan

Man, I would have written this up 2 days ago if the Battlefield 1943 boards weren't screwing up all the time and limited at 250,000 :(

Gowans

Just released that's around $9,000,000 in revenue in the first 2 weeks.

After platform holders cuts, royalties, bandwidth costs on PSN, etc. they must have a good few million, wonder what the budget was.

Stoney Mason said:

1943 actually might have made more money though. Development costs would be a sliver of what they were for Bad Company, and marketing costs should be lower as well. Not to mention fewer hands in the pie.

Not that I want them to stop making full games like Bad Company.

I hope this bodes well for Bad Company 2, then.

Kind of off topic, but I've started playing Bad Company a lot more again ever since trying the 1943 demo. I've been encountering weird glitches that I wasn't experience before 1943 came out (and a lot more lag). Do you suppose its because both games are being hosted on the same server?

PSGames

Drkirby said:
Ok, I am going have to put what I am playing on hold for a moment and get the Demo. Looks and sounds like a lot of fun.

Same here. The game passed right under my radar for some reason. Tme to check and see what all the fuss is about.

Chinner

Banned
actually, this has given us a decent indication of the numbers you have to pull to be able penetrate the top10 xbl list.

edit; nvm psn and xbla.

TheExodu5

Banned
I bought it on 360, but I'm glad to see the PSN version sales are so high (going by kill speed) considering how much smaller it's userbase is. It's a good sign that the game will have a very active community on either console.

Tobor said:
That being said, from an ROI perspective, 1943 would have to be more successful.

Perhaps although you have to take into account also that Bad Company was probably more expensive also because its dev costs are factored into developing the engine and the initial learning curve involved in making the game.

I'm sure 1943 and BC 2 are more profitable on a dev basis than the original BC because they are more expansion packs based on the original investment of the engine. Although designing and implementing a true single player mode is costly and more importantly DICE hasn't been very good with it in the Battlefield games.

Gowans

it seems Magic did really well too, I'd start a thread but can't read the article (work firewall) but on my twitter Gamerbytes (Rlan) has posted Magic the Gathering on XBLA sold 170,000 in two weeks. http://bit.ly/viDDJ

Confidence Man said:
Now they'll never have a reason to make a game with more than 3 classes.

Boo Hoo. It's called voting with your money. I'm sure the next full on Battlefield on the PC will stay essentially what it has always been on the PC so there is always that option.

Septimus said:
They need to port this for the PSP Go launch now.

Socom: FTB 3

Plus, aren't FPS a pain to control on PSP?

Skiptastic said:
If America goes to war again, Uncle Sam should license that music from EA and play it before going into battle. Guaranteed victory every time.
:D

BenBen

Neo Member
This is definitely one of my favorite games of this generation already, although BF1942 nostalgia probably has something to do with it.

Here's hoping they eventually release all the 1942 maps for it.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
And all that money goes straight into their pockets since they don't need to pay publishers, shipping costs, etc.

beermonkey@tehbias said:
1943 actually might have made more money though. Development costs would be a sliver of what they were for Bad Company, and marketing costs should be lower as well. Not to mention fewer hands in the pie.

Not that I want them to stop making full games like Bad Company.

It also helped that the game used the existing BC engine.

Hopefully it isnt too alot of work to take other mp maps and make them for 1943. But considering that BC 2 is coming out this year, who knows.

I was a COD4 whore and hated Bad Company but if Dice would give us say 5-8 more maps(will never happen) this would not just be my summer shooter but my shooter for the next year.
Love it!!! So much fun!

Loxley

xDangerboy said:
But considering that BC 2 is coming out this year, who knows.

Bad Company 2 is slated for Q1 2010 :)

Which is good, no developer would want to release any shooter anywhere near MW2. BC2 will definitely have time to shine with that release window.

Stoney Mason said:
Perhaps although you have to take into account also that Bad Company was probably more expensive also because its dev costs are factored into developing the engine and the initial learning curve involved in making the game.

I'm sure 1943 and BC 2 are more profitable on a dev basis than the original BC because they are more expansion packs based on the original investment of the engine. Although designing and implementing a true single player mode is costly and more importantly DICE hasn't been very good with it in the Battlefield games.
The Frostbite engine has to be one of my favorite engines to come out this generation.

Rlan

bfsaleshuge.jpg

I thought the image was apt.

Also:

In comparison, Battlefield: Bad Company was released to retail on the 23rd of June 2008 and also had a two week sales period. According to the NPD Sales numbers for that time, Bad Company sold 346,800 copies on the Xbox 360, and on the PS3 version sold less than 260,000 copies.

Therefore, Battlefield 1943 worldwide has sold more than Battlefield: Bad Company did in the US in the same period.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Who the hell wouldn't buy a $5 map pack for this awesome game?

Me. I paid $15 for 3 (fuck the air-only) maps? Sorry, but $5 for 2 more is $5 too much IMO. EA/DICE needs to give some FREE maps out to flesh the game out to be worth the $15 I originally paid (bump the map count up to at least 6-8 *pref 8* before I am willing to pay)

AKA: Too slim on content for the cash I paid for it. Not willing to be robbed more. (Though it is a good "game," I agree.)

Violater

xDangerboy said:
It also helped that the game used the existing BC engine.

Hopefully it isnt too alot of work to take other mp maps and make them for 1943. But considering that BC 2 is coming out this year, who knows.

Without the excessive grain filter thankfully.

Dax01 said:
The Frostbite engine has to be one of my favorite engines to come out this generation.

The engine is nice although their shitty matchmaking, communication, and squad system drag down the package a bit imo.

Top Bottom