• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1943 Sells 600,000 Copies, Becomes Fastest Selling Game On XBLA And PSN

Asmodai

Banned
Every sale deserved. Excellent game and amazing value for the price.

Digital distribution on consoles is the future. Out of what, 600 retail games for the Xbox 360, a XBLA title is 5th most played on Xbox Live.

BeeDog said:
Oh, alright. :p I personally don't see why another map or two shouldn't be free, seeing as the game turned out to be such a huge success; it wouldn't kill to show some goodwill to all the purchasers. But then again, goodwill in the (console) gaming sector is practically non-existant.

Battlefield Bad Company had two or three installments of free downloadable DLC.

Oh, and I'm sure you meant to say that "goodwill" is practically nonexistent in capitalism. Businesses aren't charities.

Asmodai said:
Battlefield Bad Company had two or three installments of free downloadable DLC.

In that instance I would argue that was the case because it didn't come with Conquest mode and the multiplayer stuff they offered in the full retail product of $60 was fairly skimpy compared to most other shooters. They were trying to recover from the backlash of that whole paying for weapons stuff and the removal of the signature mode for Battlefield games.

I'm guessing they view 1943 in a completely different light based on it being a $15 Download only game although we shall see in the future I suppose.

Does the game have splitscreen online?

What's performance like?

Talking 360 here. I'd probably buy this on 360 if I got it, if I want to play Battlefield on my PC, I'll play proper Battlefield but it might be nice to have a quick pick up and play version on the 360 especially if I can play with a friend on the same system.

brain_stew said:

What's performance like?

Talking 360 here. I'd probably buy this on 360 if I got it, if I want to play Battlefield on my PC, I'll play proper Battlefield but it might be nice to have a quick pick up and play version on the 360 especially if I can play with a friend on the same system.

No Split screen online and the performance is similar to Bad Company meaning it's probably around 30 fps or so.

Asmodai

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
In that instance I would argue that was the case because it didn't come with Conquest mode and the multiplayer stuff they offered in the full retail product of $60 was fairly skimpy compared to most other shooters. They were trying to recover from the backlash of that whole paying for weapons stuff and the removal of the signature mode for Battlefield games.

One of the DLC packs was conquest, the other one was just 2 or 3 new maps.

Um, I'm not a huge fan of Bad Company ,it had a lot of flaws, but "skimpy compared to other shooters"?

What other shooter offers that kind of replay value other than Call of Duty 4, CODWAW and Halo 3?

Gears of War 2 has a broken matchmaking system and unplayable lag for many (most?) people who try to play it online, GTA IV was similarly laggy and unbalanced. There's a reason that the top 3 positions stay filled by the games that are there.

out0v0rder said:
"Great job DICE! Now put out 3 more maps for $10 EA!"

*barf*

Oh noes, t3h horrible capitalists at EA are trying to make money off their audience! How could they betray us? They know we don't have jobs!!

This whining about having to pay for things is getting annoying as hell.

Shins

Banned
Asmodai said:
Oh noes, t3h horrible capitalists at EA are trying to make money off their audience! How could they betray us? They know we don't have jobs!!

You're right. Personally, I think they should charge fifteen dollars for each map pack. The quality is there for it, no doubt. Actually, make it twenty.

Asmodai said:
What other shooter offers that kind of replay value other than Call of Duty 4, CODWAW and Halo 3?

I have nothing against Bad Company. I bought it and enjoyed it although I enjoyed Frontlines more as I always mentioned. But not shipping with the signature mode and not having a lot of maps with the retail game I consider skimpy. They patched it up to get to the level of arguably where it should have shipped which is a good thing in my opinion but potentially part of the reason (along with others) why I didn't rock the world in sales when it originally released. Compared to the other popular games of that time if offered less maps and less gametypes and not even the popular gametype the series was known for. That's not the best way to launch a game.

Shins said:
You're right. Personally, I think they should charge fifteen dollars for each map pack. The quality is there for it, no doubt. Actually, make it twenty.

Why not $60. Because making an extreme dumb argument is humorous especially when the audience wouldn't pay that price.

How about $100 dollars. Or a million dollars!!!!!

Asmodai said:

So then go away? It's never gonna stop, some of us don't like getting ripped off?

I wouldn't mind paying really myself, but my problem with DLC for 1943 is that it will ruin the community splitting the playerbase with those who do and don't purchase the maps. At least in previous battlefields the maps were free so everyone got to play.

Problem with DLC maps and fps is that often you got no one to play with.

BattleMonkey said:
So then go away? It's never gonna stop, some of us don't like getting ripped off?

I wouldn't mind paying really myself, but my problem with DLC for 1943 is that it will ruin the community splitting the playerbase with those who do and don't purchase the maps. At least in previous battlefields the maps were free so everyone got to play.

You are free to whine I suppose. I just will mock you.

Cant0na said:
Hope more people follow this.

Multiplayer only games for low price, MORE PLEASE
Cant0na said:
not my fault you people suck at games and cant get kills quicker

Cant0na said:
:lol @ johnny cum latelys going "c0ral sea sux"

Welcome to 9 pages ago

Cant0na said:
:lol

Its a strategy, dont like it? Kill me then. dont let me come to your base etc.

but Why should the game not give me any points for my legit kills, just cause i happen to be in a part of the map where the enemy has to spawn. its not my fault. Terrible from dice

Cant0na said:
The games stupid.

I was spawn camping these scrubs (up to 12 kills in a row no joke) i was behind a hill in their spawn taking em out like theres no tomorrow ........ and the game wouldnt give me a single point........WTF?? i was like, this has to be a glitch. but some kid told me it was built into the game?? :lol @ Dice

also, whats up with the garbage red dot over your head shit? im killing 3 guys, 2 down third one im about to shank he turns around and fires one bullet at me before i slit him, and now the whole map knows where i am?? WTF?? I couldve stayed there got my health back and Rocked their whole team.................But instead 4 rifflemen (everyone i couldve shot in the back), 2 tanks and a boat turned around and SHOT at my exact position............how did they know where i was? MAYBE CAUSE THE GAME PUT A HUGE RED DOT ON THEIR SCREEN pointing out, "hai guyz shoot here, you can get killz"

rubbish game, doesnt reward expert players, its like Rubber banding from racing games is finding its place in shooters now

AND i cant even trade this in...............
Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

Asmodai

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

I'll pay the money for the game while you guys just stay on the internet whining about how everything costs money. I'm sure that will pan out well for you.

Oh, and "previous Battlefields" had tons of paid expansions. Battlefield 1942 had at least two expansions.(Secret Weapons and Road to Rome) Battlefield 2 had Special Forces and two small booster packs, none of which were ever released for free to everyone.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Stoney Mason said:
I have nothing against Bad Company. I bought it and enjoyed it although I enjoyed Frontlines more as I always mentioned. But not shipping with the signature mode and not having a lot of maps with the retail game I consider skimpy. They patched it up to get to the level of arguably where it should have shipped which is a good thing in my opinion but potentially part of the reason (along with others) why I didn't rock the world in sales when it originally released. Compared to the other popular games of that time if offered less maps and less gametypes and not even the popular gametype the series was known for. That's not the best way to launch a game.

How many maps did it have? 8? I thought it was something like that. Personally in multiplayer games I don't care about how many maps there are, but how good they are. Battlefield 2 had plenty of maps but 95% of the games later on were Strike at Karkand 24/7.

Battlefield 1943 has only three maps other than Coral Sea, but I really like all of them, so to me its a hell of a lot better than 16 maps that are meh, or useless. (Halo 3 for example has a metric ton of maps with all of these DLC packs, all of which are boring to me. Then again I didn't like the game itself though, so it's probably designed for a different demographic)

What's performance like?
Why are questions like these popping up? There has been a demo available on both the Xbox 360 and PS3 since release. Download one of them and find out for yourself.

Asmodai said:
How many maps did it have? 8? I thought it was something like that. Personally in multiplayer games I don't care about how many maps there are, but how good they are. Battlefield 2 had plenty of maps but 95% of the games later on were Strike at Karkand 24/7.

Battlefield 1943 has only three maps other than Coral Sea, but I really like all of them, so to me its a hell of a lot better than 16 maps that are meh, or useless. (Halo 3 for example has a metric ton of maps with all of these DLC packs, all of which are boring to me. Then again I didn't like the game itself though, so it's probably designed for a different demographic)

You also have to remember I take into account some of the rather poor decisions like barebones matchmaking and removal of certain things like Parachutes and a few other things I didn't care for like the communication system. Bad Company when it released just felt like a rushed game. Hopefully BC 2 has had enough dev time and time with the existing engine to alleviate part of that feel.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Stoney Mason said:
If that situation is intolerable to someone they can game on the PC but it would be nice if they stopped trolling consoles threads about it. (This rant isn't really aimed at you but a general sort of troll that exists on gaf).

So, basically, accept the way it is, open up your wallet and pay or shut up about it lest you be a troll?

I see. I know that wasn't directed towards me but...enjoy that I guess. <shrugs>

Kintaro said:
So, basically, accept the way it is, open up your wallet and pay or shut up about it lest you be a troll?

I see. I know that wasn't directed towards me but...enjoy that I guess. <shrugs>

More like stop whining about the same thing that exists in nearly every popular console shooter on the market and isn't going to change and stop attacking people who feel the opposite of you with "sheep" comments. Especially in a thread about PSN and Xbox Live sales where nothing outside of the ordinary is going on and if you have such strong beliefs you could always just stay in PC threads where the practice is less common and not so offensive to you rather than trying to "convert" the sheep who don't agree with you.

Once again not aimed at you. Just a specific type of troll that exists on GAF.

RobertM

Add realism and fix collision, kthxbye.

edit: Scrap that. Add more planes (2 seaters, torpedo plane,etc.), ability to lower the hatch on the boats, ability to drive the carrier, interior for the carrier, no infinite ammo or regenerating health, fix collision, kthxbye.

Asmodai

Banned
Stoney Mason said:
You also have to remember I take into account some of the rather poor decisions like barebones matchmaking and removal of certain things like Parachutes and a few other things I didn't care for like the communication system. Bad Company when it released just felt like a rushed game. Hopefully BC 2 has had enough dev time and time with the existing engine to alleviate part of that feel.

Definitely agreed on that front. I really wanted to like Bad Company, it had the neat destruction system and seemingly impressive visuals judging from screens released beforehand. Of course the horrible grain filter ruined the visual appeal and the guns felt clumsy and ineffective, which mostly killed the shooting side for me.

Battlefield 1943 on the other hand has fixed most of those problems in my opinion.

I hear if someone makes 5 posts on an internet forum whining about something costing too much, the price of said product will magically fall by 50%.

I mean, why else would people endlessly post about it?

Asmodai said:
I'll pay the money for the game while you guys just stay on the internet whining about how everything costs money. I'm sure that will pan out well for you.

Oh, and "previous Battlefields" had tons of paid expansions. Battlefield 1942 had at least two expansions.(Secret Weapons and Road to Rome) Battlefield 2 had Special Forces and two small booster packs, none of which were ever released for free to everyone.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Yes, and guess what, those "expansions" never were popular, the servers for the BF2 booster packs were ghost towns. Those of us that did buy them often found it difficult to ever find any decent matches as the core game is what most played, as it always has been with FPS that aren't named Halo.

Special Forces was the only one that had any form of player base and that was because it was a pretty heft expansion, but the boosters were a joke, as has been most dlc so far this gen.

Go ahead and pay what you will, but thats your money, and enjoy having few people to play with as it is what is going to happen.

And yes the previous BF games did get free content patches along with the expansions, but at least when free as was with Bad Company, you get everyone playing the new content.

RobertM said:

edit: Scrap that. Add more planes (2 seaters, torpedo plane,etc.), ability to lower the hatch on the boats, ability to drive the carrier, interior for the carrier, no infinite ammo or regenerating health, fix collision, kthxbye.

Or you could just buy the game on the PC which I'm sure will have mods made for it rather than make a game just for you when 600,000 people have bought this game. Just saying. kthxbye.

Kintaro

Asmodai said:
I hear if someone makes 5 posts on an internet forum whining about something costing too much, the price of said product will magically fall by 50%.

I mean, why else would people endlessly post about it?

Actually, all you have to do is simply wait a month lately and the price will magically drop 50% or so. :D

StoneyMason said:
More like stop whining about the same thing that exists in nearly every popular console shooter on the market and isn't going to change and stop attacking people who feel the opposite of you with "sheep" comments. Especially in a thread about PSN and Xbox Live sales where nothing outside of the ordinary is going on and if you have such strong beliefs you could always just stay in PC threads where the practice is less common and not so offensive to you rather than trying to "convert" the sheep who don't agree with you.

Once again not aimed at you. Just a specific type of troll that exists on GAF.

Well, my guess is that they just hate to see the trend at all. I hate seeing JRPGs move from consoles to handhelds but I guess you have to give up the goose at some point =P

I guess I'll just say that personally, the reason I stay away from FPS on consoles is that that map pack for sale really starts to "feel" required after a certain point. You're at the whim of the community and at a point, you either have to pay up or get out. I guess I'm lucky enough to just be able to "give it up" and move on more than others.

I see your point though.

McNei1y

RobertM said:

Its an arcade game with 3 classes. Its meant as a hop in and play game.

If they were to come out with a full battlefield 1943 game, I would expect all of that stuff in there but with the 24 player cap, its fine as is (for the added vehicles and driveable carriers.)

Edit: I would hope that in the future they come out with a Battlefield game for the xbox that has 64+ players and all the features from the original. Playing that game is such a fun feeling when storming the beach with 20 people.

Asmodai

Banned
RobertM said:

Have you heard of a game called "Battlefield 1942"? Yeah, it has what you want. Probably a better idea to go play that rather than assume a developer will take a hugely succesful game and completely change it just to suit you.

Kintaro said:
Actually, all you have to do is simply wait a month lately and the price will magically drop 50% or so.

Ah, I wish it was like that here in Canada. I've never seen the price of XBLA games plummet sharply though.

Ten-Song

RobertM said:

The LAST thing the game needs is MORE people sitting on air craft carriers doing nothing for their team waiting to get into new types of planes for them to crash into the sea.

Kintaro said:
I guess I'll just say that personally, the reason I stay away from FPS on consoles is that that map pack for sale really starts to "feel" required after a certain point. You're at the whim of the community and at a point, you either have to pay up or get out. I guess I'm lucky enough to just be able to "give it up" and move on more than others.

There is nothing wrong with having that opinion. Which is why its good there is a market for people who feel that way. And want to play on keyboard and mouse. And want better videocards, etc.

As I am touching on there is a large audience that doesn't really care about any of those things. So when people enter a thread related to a console game asking it to be more like a platform they already game on it gets a bit tiresome. Especially when you see it in thread after console thread from the same people. Console online gaming is here to stay. It will be somewhat different than PC gaming. And we all have the right to spend our dollars as we see fit without the sheeple brigade in full effect.

Cant0na

Banned
Dax01 said:
Sorry. Had to get that off my chest.

the game has flaws, but i love digital distribution.

Woke up one day, went to my xbox and bought it for 15$ while i was still in my boxers.......Downloaded while i took a dump, came back and started playing........So awesome. Hope more publishers follow this, so i can avoid "did you preorder? sorry no more copies, would you like a strategy guide with that?"

Asmodai

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
Yes, and guess what, those "expansions" never were popular, the servers for the BF2 booster packs were ghost towns. Those of us that did buy them often found it difficult to ever find any decent matches as the core game is what most played, as it always has been with FPS that aren't named Halo.

Special Forces was the only one that had any form of player base and that was because it was a pretty heft expansion, but the boosters were a joke, as has been most dlc so far this gen.

Go ahead and pay what you will, but thats your money, and enjoy having few people to play with as it is what is going to happen.

And yes the previous BF games did get free content patches along with the expansions, but at least when free as was with Bad Company, you get everyone playing the new content.

Battlefield 2 got like 2 free maps, Wake Island and that Highway one, in as many years of patching. To me they seemed more like a "sorry for the game being so glitchy/buggy/impossible to play at times, here's a few free maps" thing,

Bad Company's free DLC was definitely a good thing. Of course, you'll find more people playing a CODWAW or COD4 mappack than you will playing the BC game as a whole.

I don't buy multiplayer content unless I'm going to have enough people to play with. So far, it hasn't been a problem. Seeing as Battlefield 1943 may well stay in the top ten and be one of the most popular multiplayer games on Xbox Live, I have a feeling enough people would play the mappacks.

Ceb

Pretty undeserved, IMO. I also bought BF1943 and had fun in the beginning, but it quickly dawned on me how incredibly basic the experience is. Sure, it's only $15, but it's seriously lacking in game modes and options. Most rounds play out the same way. "Tactics" are limited to being able to amass enough players to successfully overwhelm a base.

I dunno, it made me boot up Warhawk for the first time in ages and the difference in depth and diversity was just so apparent to me.

It's a nice experiment though. I'd most likely buy a Modern Warfare 2 DLC version that only offered the Hardcore Search and Destroy mode.

Asmodai said:
Seeing as Battlefield 1943 may well stay in the top ten and be one of the most popular multiplayer games on Xbox Live, I have a feeling enough people would play the mappacks.

More of a case of nothing else coming out right now, with ODST, BC2, and MW2 coming soon the player base is likely to drop, and if they don't add content soon I doubt 1943 is going to have huge longevity as people are gonna get tired of it. Be a while before we see the staying power of the game.

Kuraudo

Banned
CiSTM said:
Most def. Prbably 90% are still stocked at some warehouse 'cuz the game ain't selling.

It's not exactly flying off shelves here. My local Marketplace and PS Store always have plenty of copies in stock.

TheKurgan

Anerythristic said:
I play this game ALOT. I am frothing at the mouth for more maps.

Hopefully EA realises they only have a couple of months to release new maps before the big holiday titles start to come out. I doubt many of us will be playing 1943 when Halo:ODST, MW:2 or Uncharted2 are out.

Asmodai

Banned
BattleMonkey said:
More of a case of nothing else coming out right now, with ODST, BC2, and MW2 coming soon the player base is likely to drop, and if they don't add content soon I doubt 1943 is going to have huge longevity as people are gonna get tired of it. Be a while before we see the staying power of the game.

These things are hard to predict. Who would have thought COD4 would come out like that? We all knew it would be reasonably popular, but nobody was expecting that kind of success.

The Battlefield formula is incredibly fun, and this is the first time it's been done well on consoles, for a low price. Personally I'm playing this as my multiplayer until MW2 comes out this fall.

Cruzader

Banned
Im glad this game did well. I love the online more than KZ2 offered. Well it offers more but the clusterfucks ruin every damn match and map.

I hope we get some free DLC, maybe just one and 2 more for pay. I would def get them.

Known Shippable

Neo Member
out0v0rder said:
"Great job DICE! Now put out 3 more maps for $10 EA!"

*barf*

Quit being cheap. I'm amazed at the logic of some people.

Battlefield 1943 = $15
3 New Maps = $10

If you bought another 4 map packs it pretty much equals the price of a retail game. What's the problem?

Asmodai

Banned
Kuroyume said:
Right, but the game also has significantly less features than retail games.

What exactly do we mean by "features"? I assume you mean content like a singleplayer game, more game modes, etc?

Personally, I could care less about a singleplayer mode for a Battlefield game (BFBC's one was pretty lame), don't care about game modes so long as there's a good one like Conquest, and consider the replay value in BF1943's 3 maps to greatly exceed the retail value in most full priced games I play.

Judging by how many people are buying and playing this, I think its safe to say they think its a good value. Best value I've got in a game, I enjoyed this more than Battlefield Bad Company and Halo 3 put together already. (two examples of full priced shooters that I now wish I had not purchased full price)

Kintaro

Stoney Mason said:
There is nothing wrong with having that opinion. Which is why its good there is a market for people who feel that way. And want to play on keyboard and mouse. And want better videocards, etc.

As I am touching on there is a large audience that doesn't really care about any of those things. So when people enter a thread related to a console game asking it to be more like a platform they already game on it gets a bit tiresome. Especially when you see it in thread after console thread from the same people. Console online gaming is here to stay. It will be somewhat different than PC gaming. And we all have the right to spend our dollars as we see fit without the sheeple brigade in full effect.

That works. To be honest, I personally wouldn't mind more of a MMO-like subscription services for games like this to ensure everyone gets all the content, patches and updates they need to all stay together on an equal playing field (like $5 a month or something?) but that opens a whole other can of beans that exceeds the hate DLC maps get. =P

Anyways, I'll just be going now. I'll try the demo of this one out. Seems cool.

Kuroyume

Banned
Asmodai said:
What exactly do we mean by "features"? I assume you mean content like a singleplayer game, more game modes, etc?

Personally, I could care less about a singleplayer mode for a Battlefield game (BFBC's one was pretty lame), don't care about game modes so long as there's a good one like Conquest, and consider the replay value in BF1943's 3 maps to greatly exceed the retail value in most full priced games I play.

Judging by how many people are buying and playing this, I think its safe to say they think its a good value. Best value I've got in a game, I enjoyed this more than Battlefield Bad Company and Halo 3 put together already. (two examples of full priced shooters that I now wish I had not purchased full price)

Exactly... I think it's a good value too but once the price starts rising it doesn't look like a good value compared to other full featured retail games, and I've enjoyed this game a lot.

Top Bottom