• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 - October 2009 release (ignore the OP at your peril)

Pete Rock

Yeah, there's really not a great middle ground between building your own table/cabinet and using the default MS wheel, or blowing a load of cash on a full Fanatec setup with the wheel, stand and pedals. Hmmm...

ShogunX

mujun said:
I don't think anybody is getting angry and if we don't take shit at least a little seriously (you know some personal investment) then how the hell do you expect the community to be a good one.

Your clearly missing the point of the post.

markao

chico said:
hmm... the official 360 MS wheel is selling für 60€ here in germany.
is it true, that there will be a new wheel for the Forza 3 release?
cant find any news about it...
Heared it mentioned in the latest Listen UP podcast (7/24/09) (around the 53/55 minutes). They say it is from MS and supposedly will be released with/same time as Forza 3, but never heard/read anything about it before this podcast.

VVV Mars VG said:
Finally had the chance to play it and write some impressions, I love the event artwork by the way, its fantastic.
Sweet write-up.

VVV Mars VG said:
I decided to go back and really have a pop at honing the longest of the 3 courses, taking out a Porsche 911 GT2 (997) and turning all assists off. Of all aspects I hoped to see fixed, the ABS would probably be top of my list and thankfully Forza 3 didn't disappoint, indeed it again exceeded my expectations. Racing down the hill to the first hairpin I snatched a wheel and it sent me wide, typical when you change from ABS assistance but in making that mistake I felt clearly when the wheels were turning, going round and up the hill I broke early just over the crest, again feeling the wheels locking under braking but not locking my steering, off the brake, wheels turning and the car was gripping well.
No ABS in FM1 was damn near unusable, FM2 was much better, but not perfect, and FM3 sounds like another step forward. Great news indeed.

VVV Mars VG said:
...it feels new and so it's difficult to compare with anything I've played before...
With all the talk of rewritten physics, I was of course hoping for it to feel better, but I was also hoping for it to feel new and fresh. FM2 felt instantly recognizable as the sequel to FM1. That's not a bad thing, but four years later I'm looking for something that truly feels different this time around.

Anyway, I'm always excited to hear actual enthusiasts of the genre talk physics. There's a level of credibility that you sadly just don't get from the mainstream gaming press. Hopefully we'll see more enthusiast sites get press invites for FM3.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
BCD2 said:
With all the talk of rewritten physics, I was of course hoping for it to feel better, but I was also hoping for it to feel new and fresh. FM2 felt instantly recognizable as the sequel to FM1. That's not a bad thing, but four years later I'm looking for something that truly feels different this time around.

Anyway, I'm always excited to hear actual enthusiasts of the genre talk physics. There's a level of credibility that you sadly just don't get from the mainstream gaming press. Hopefully we'll see more enthusiast sites get press invites for FM3.

The game does feel different to me and I've been playing the series since FM1.

It is probably the addition/improvements made in tire physics, and the visceral immersion of cockpit view where the camera will pitch/shake/move based on G's and lateral forces.

I only play in cockpit view nowadays. :D

markao

saladine1 said:
What did they actually say?
I can't listen to the podcast 'cause i'm at work.
Nothing really :p Just that they heard the rumor that there will be a new one.

Maybe Che can shine some light on it, or post some pics :lol

VVV Mars VG said:
Finally had the chance to play it and write some impressions, I love the event artwork by the way, its fantastic.

How did the ingame graphics compare to the photo mode shots we normally get?

Was cockpit mode still 30fps?

Great impressions btw. Nice to see the handling improved even more.

ruxtpin

Banned
markao said:
Nothing really :p Just that they heard the rumor that there will be a new one.

Maybe Che can shine some light on it, or post some pics :lol

I'm curious about this too. I was wondering the MS wheel is worth the money, or spending extra money to get one of the Fanatec ones. hm.

chespace said:
The game does feel different to me and I've been playing the series since FM1.

It is probably the addition/improvements made in tire physics, and the visceral immersion of cockpit view where the camera will pitch/shake/move based on G's and lateral forces.

I only play in cockpit view nowadays. :D
Thinking back to what the Inside Sim Racing guys had to say about it at E3, and now what VVV Mars VG just wrote up, I'd say whatever it is, it's successful at feeling like a fresh driving experience. That excites me as much, if not more than any back of the box feature set.

chespace

Ultimo hombre said:
How did the ingame graphics compare to the photo mode shots we normally get?

Was cockpit mode still 30fps?

Great impressions btw. Nice to see the handling improved even more.

The in-game graphics look the same as photomode. When gameplay footage gets released as the press receive builds, it'll be pretty obvious.

Also, don't worry about framerate. FM3 is a 60fps game.

RussTK

Banned
chespace said:
The in-game graphics look the same as photomode. When gameplay footage gets released as the press receive builds, it'll be pretty obvious.

Does that include Replays and Tach?

Cheeto

chespace said:
This is what I like about cockpit views, it really helps you feel the sense of speed when you accelerate and brake.

chespace said:

God damn che, you keep talking like this and we'll be making out soon.

LordPhoque said:
In Photomode, anyway. Real-time gameplay has some aliasing, but big whoop, so does every other 60 fps console game. I don't think you're going to be worrying about a few lines while you're slinging around corners and pacing past beautifully modeled cars.

saladine1

Streaks said:
where is the rotary love? i haven't seen the rx7 or 8 in any pics yet...
How about the RX3?
It's supposedly in. A 13b in this should be fun.

20071017124532!Mazda-rx3-1st-generation01.jpg

RussTK said:
Not as much no, but it would make the replays worth watching again. I havnt enjoyed a console replay since GT4. Oh well.
I don't really understand that. I watch TV broadcasts at 30fps and I can watch racing replays on that just fine.

Oh and Che... make my dream come true and tell me there's going to be an update dedicated to the crappiest old cars you guys can find! :lol

saladine1

Psychotext said:
I don't really understand that. I watch TV broadcasts at 30fps and I can watch racing replays on that just fine.

Oh and Che... make my dream come true and tell me there's going to be an update dedicated to the crappiest old cars you guys can find! :lol
You sir, have good taste.
Crappy old cars FTW!

RussTK

Banned
Psychotext said:

Its that much more immersion. Replays are not that big of a deal but having them in 60fps would have been greatly appreciated. Think if you could watch TV broadcast races in 60fps, more so their on board cameras. I cant wait until that is a reality.

AMUSIX

Streaks said:
F2 had a good amount of Wenkel, so I'm not too worried. As long as I can still make my car and drop a 20B into an FC.

cbox

RussTK said:
Its that much more immersion. Replays are not that big of a deal but having them in 60fps would have been greatly appreciated. Think if you could watch TV broadcast races in 60fps, more so their on board cameras. I cant wait until that is a reality.

eww no! What's next, movies at 60fps? ugly.

Cheeto

Streaks said:
I hope they accurately capture the immersion of doing 15 laps of an endurance race in your rotary before blowing an apex seal totalling your car.

chespace

Cheeto said:
I hope they accurately capture the immersion of doing 15 laps of an endurance race in your rotary before blowing an apex seal totalling your car.

:lol no love for the wenkels

RussTK

Banned
eternal prize said:
eww no! What's next, movies at 60fps? ugly.

Movies can keep their dramatic 24fps/blur but having all live broadcasts in 60fps would be ideal. I think ESPN is currently working on getting 1080P 60fps.

I can honestly say that watching a TV replay in 60fps wouldn't make the slightest difference whatsoever to me. I care about it in games simply because I'm controlling the action (and only when I'm controlling the action).

hie

saladine1 said:
How about the RX3?
It's supposedly in. A 13b in this should be fun.

20071017124532!Mazda-rx3-1st-generation01.jpg

that would be hot.

i also love Dimes. please at least reskin the Z w/ a 510 shell for the love of GOD!

w7hguh.jpg

Kron

Banned
Cheeto said:

Tell that to the 1991 Le Mans winner

mazda_787b_lo.jpg

The 787b had better be in the game, Phenominal car and astounding 4 rotor engine. The best noise I've ever heard from a full race spec car.

Kron

Banned
Also whats the situation with the cockpit view in terms of left/right hand drive, Are certain cars designated an orientation?

sinnergy

cjelly said:
Citroen?!

I thought there weren't going to be any shitty manufacturers? :D

What are you talking about? The VTS serie from Citroen is awesome..

But hey I am biased, I drive a Saxo VTS, more fun than the C2 VTS by the way.

To bad the Saxo VTS 16V, 120 horses isn't in the game, tuned it's dynamite.

Not that this is a C2...

The Renault RS serie is also cool.

Ding

Somebody mentioned a "Track Day" mode. What exactly would that entail?

I would be interested in a "Racing School" mode. You might have a "classroom" session/tutorial where you learn about apexes and stuff. Then you could "walk the track". Maybe that part would be a slow flyover with a voice-over, or something. You probably wouldn't need to have anything like an in-car instructor, since the racing line thingie takes care of a lot of that. But I suppose you could do some no-passing sessions at enforced lower speeds. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. That sort of thing.

I know, I know.... WRONG!

I like that in-car shot, above. Nice and zoomed in.

Top Bottom