• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The joke is that in Canada milk comes in bags.

laugh.gif

javac

Treasure Island (Takarajima) is a 1978 anime series directed by the late Osamu Dezaki, the man who directed animated classics such as The Rose of Versailles, Ace o Nerae!, Oniisama e and Ashita no Joe (Tomorrow’s Joe). Treasure Island is yet another animated classic that is a part of his legendary résumé and is an adaptation of the Robert Louis Balfour Stevenson novel of the same name. Spanning 26 episodes it tells the story of Jim Hawkins, a happy go lucky 13 year old boy who lives in England with his widowed mother. They run an Inn together, but ever since his farther died both him and his Mom have struggled running the Inn and customers have all but disappeared, but even so they go on. The first episode starts off with them getting a customer on a dark and stormy night, carrying a huge chest he asks for a room to stay in for the foreseeable future. A big man, he is rough and scarred in appearance, a drunk who requests nothing but rum for breakfast, lunch and dinner he piques the boy’s interest, and as he becomes more and more aggressive as the days go by, the boy becomes suspicious of the man. Maybe he’s a real pirate? As the episodes go on, they become more involved in his business as the man who we now learn goes by the name Billy Bones requests of young Jim to let him know if he spots a one legged man that he fears so. Why is every pirate out to get Billy Bones, wanting him dead? More importantly, what’s in his treasure chest that is so lusted over and what role does this play in the life of the young Jim Hawkins?

So far it’s a typical affair on paper, with pirates, sea shanties and both treasure and violence but it’s all wrapped up in a beautiful aesthetic. The 1970’s series shines as brightly today as it did back then with very attractive animation, fantastic, charming character designs and a beautiful soundtrack. It's funny because I thought that the soundtrack reminded me of Macross, and wouldn't you know it, the late Kentaro Haneda composed the music here. I think it might actually be his first too. Both the Opening and Ending animations are both gorgeous and set the tone for the series and hopefully for what’s to come. I really love these types of shows and feel enamored by the whole spectacle. I’m really excited to be finally watching this fantastic series and I look forward to watching more episodes and delving deeper into the abyss the surrounds Treasure Island.

Jintor

real talk :
Much of the safety tests were falsified ( people in charge of it were bribed ) . People didn't found out untill the event ( launch of SAO ) and they made the second helmet that had the real safeties in place that were intended for the project.

In before , "this wasn't explained in the anime so it doesn't count"

was it a japan-only launch or something?

i can see it happening in japan

JCG

So far it’s a typical affair on paper, with pirates, sea shanties and both treasure and violence but it’s all wrapped up in a beautiful aesthetic. The 1970’s series shines as brightly today as it did back then with very attractive animation, fantastic, charming character designs and a beautiful soundtrack.

That's certainly Dezaki for you. He takes typical story concepts (though a few are occasionally either inherently better or worse than that) and manages to breathe a lot of additional life into them.

In particular, I do remember watching a few episodes of Treasure Island growing up and enjoying them a lot. I was always struck by the craftsmanship and stylistic approach even before consciously realizing that Japanese anime was a whole different thing in the first place. I should watch the rest of the anime one of these days and, who knows, maybe even read the original book to see how the various traits of the source material were adapted after all.

kewlmyc

You actually have 60 secs before your death in the game and the fact that you were revived.
Asuna died in the game but since the game "ended" , she didn't die irl.
Kirito did use "willpower" to do a double-ko. It has to do with the infinte possibilities of the human brain that even the nervegear couldn't replicate. it's ambigous by the writter himself because not even him want to explain it in detail..

Seems lazy, but thanks for explaining.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also the LN has a scene where the big bad bribed Kirito which is why he basically forgave him at the end. "Sure you killed thousands of people but you rendered this nice 3D world..."

javac

That's certainly Dezaki for you. He takes typical story concepts (though a few are occasionally either inherently better or worse than that) and manages to breathe a lot of additional life into them.

In particular, I do remember watching a few episodes of Treasure Island growing up and enjoying them a lot. I was always struck by the craftsmanship and stylistic approach even before consciously realizing that Japanese anime was a whole different thing in the first place. I should watch the rest of the anime one of these days and, who knows, maybe even read the original book to see how the various traits of the source material were adapted after all.

Hah yup agreed with the first sentence. I'm curious in checking out his futuristic space opera 'adaptation' of Moby Dick as well, Hakugei: Legend of the Moby Dick. Not meant to be the best show in the world it goes without saying but as always the packaging and imagery is always top notch and that sounds appealing and interesting to me. It's actually available for free officially on YouTube if anyone is interested in seeing how it looks. Link

Treasure Island is a true gem however and I'm really enjoying it from a visual and audio standpoint, but that's not to say that I'm not interested in the story either! You should give it another shot when you get the chance. I'm really loving going back and watching all of these series. Ie Naki Ko and Joe as well as the many WMT series like Anne are next on my hit list. It's been a long time coming for these and I'm going to savor them all.

Super LTTP Edition: Little Witch Academia

In where I thought it was a series.

Overall good short movie. Really wished Trigger actually follow what was shown here to their other series.
The story was enough to pull you in, and also have this "just another day" feel to it, which of course, allows room for the sequel to build in.
The music is okay really, nothing stood out for me, but it does complement the situation it being played with.
And look at all of those frames.

I give it a SHINING ARC/10

What is tomm?

YuriBowl 2015

Super LTTP Edition: Little Witch Academia

In where I thought it was a series.

Overall good short movie. Really wished Trigger actually follow what was shown here to their other series.
The story was enough to pull you in, and also have this "just another day" feel to it, which of course, allows room for the sequel to build in.
The music is okay really, nothing stood out for me, but it does complement the situation it being played with.
And look at all of those frames.

I give it a SHINING ARC/10

I really liked LWA. I hope Trigger doesn't change the winning formula too much with the sequel though.

Milk doesn't come in bags here

Often

Eastern Canada likes to do their own thing.
Took me a while to transition from cartons to bags when I moved into Toronto. Then I fell ill and now I can't have lactose anymore, I became intolerant to it which put me back on the path of the carton. As far as I know lactose free milk comes in cartons.

Oh yes, Yuri maddness again.. everyone should just go watch Sakura Trick if it doesn't work out...
I feel like a lot of Yuri worshippers are going to come out hurt from tomorrows episode, when they officially pair Shuichi with Kumiko and Reina with Sensei.

Patema Inverted

After finally getting the bluray and sitting down to watch, I absolutely fell in love with this movie. Patema inverted is about a young girl named Patema who goes out exploring a forbidden zone in her world. She falls down a tunnel, ending up clinging precariously in a completely inverted world. There she meets Age, a boy attending school in a very totalitarian 1984-like society where every little thing is monitored and scrutinized. Suddenly united, both of them have to discover just what the secret is between the two worlds.

Aside from Patema being a major cutie, I really love the setup here. The sci-fi idea of reverse gravity worlds and falling up is a pretty interesting concept, and although done before in games and movies, this is perhaps the first time anime has ambitiously used this idea. The worlds are realized in beautiful detail and the animation and art is very crisp and gorgeous. I also really enjoyed the music, though certain pieces are reminiscent of something and I cant quite figure out what it is. It is very atmospheric and it makes the scenes pop.

Without going into spoiler territory, Ill just say that it can get a bit confusing sometimes, but there is a definite logic to this world and its inhabitants, and if you give this movie a watch I think you will be pleasantly surprised and fall for its charms as I did. Its a very clever movie.

Hm, this sounds pretty interesting. I might give this a shot!

But basically what you're saying is that this movie is the story all about how her life got flip-turned upside-down? :p

Mandelbo

Ok so now that this season is wrapped up, what did I miss? I caught DanMachi, F/SN, and Shokugeki.

You missed Plastic Memories, for one. You should rectify that!

Saikano 04

This is already pretty deep in the pit of despair and depression and I'm not even halfway through yet. I don't know how much worse it can get!
he says naively.

Szadek

I finished Bakemonogatari (I will watch Nekomonogatari: Kuro next).
It's really hard to describe this anime.
At it's core the show is about a boy who deals with supernatural phenomena,but that doesn't even come close to describing how strange this anime is.
I think it's save to call the animation style experimental.
So I guess all I can really say about Bakemonogatari is that it's fascinating and weird.
If the rest of the series is anything like this I will probably like it.

I also finished FSN: UBW.
Storywise the show has too many problems for me to call a master piece, but it still had some great characters and even better action scenes.
Certainly something I would recommand to fans of the genre.

Finally I watched Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - Solid State Society
For some reasons I have never seen this movie,even though I'm a huge fan of the series.
It's prettay damn amazing,certianly worthy of being part of the series (unllike Arise).

John Blade

Just got my replacement disc for Ghost Stories and yea....how they send it kinda scared me a bit. Disc in disc selves and in an envelope. Not really a good idea but it did can and have some minor scratch which isn't bad. Still, not the best way to send out replacement. Will be careful bring it back home.

Cornbread78

I finished Bakemonogatari (I will watch Nekomonogatari: Kuro next).
It's really hard to describe this anime.
At it's core the show is about a boy who deals with supernatural phenomena,but that doesn't even come close to describing how strange this anime is.
I think it's save to call the animation style experimental.
So I guess all I can really say about Bakemonogatari is that it's fascinating and weird.
If the rest of the series is anything like this I will probably like it.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the series. It crazy, weird, perverse, fun, and plain entertaining. I found myself having to pause it alot thought to catch up with the dialog since it is very text heavy. Senjougahara is awesome (best girlfriend) and Araragi is a freak in every way possible, but is a good character to watch.

You have a long way to go in this series with a ton of "happenings" including toothbrushes, lol. Post lots of impressions here, so we can enjoy along with you, lol.

phaze

I had no idea there was a movie. I should check that out.

I know you're joking.

But stop joking.

And don't do it.

Tatami Galaxy 10-11 END

Well, this was like a model exercise in proper culmination of the plot, its themes and of the various character arcs, all of it spun across the preceding episodes and brought to a fitting and exceedingly cathartic conclusion. Though I must say, I did expect Akashi to have more significance to the narrative, both to the Watashi's "enlightenment" and to the story at large. Seeing Ozu hog all the screen time and even the character development left me a bit disappointed. Watashi x Ozu truly was the OTP. I loved the various callbacks to even minor things introduced earlier, the genesis of the money for the continuation of Proxy War, the explanation for the appearance of a certain bearded gentleman in episode 4 or the return to the bridge from the first ep. All these more or less subtle interlocking of the gears made the earlier episodic content a really rewarding experience. And I say this as a person who generally hates episodic stuff.

On the visual side of things, The Tatami Galaxy is simply stunning. I lack the technical pedigree to adequately describe what it actually does but suffice to say that thanks to the nature of the story, Yuasa and his crew could let their imaginations run wild. The animation, scene composition, various art styles in use and even the colour palette work in harmony with each other and do a great job at accentuating the plot itself. The result is easily one of the most breathtaking shows that I've seen.

One nitpick I would point out is that despite the lengths the show goes through to avoid it, some repetition, inevitable due to the nature of the story I suppose, did sneak in and made a few scenes less enticing but it was minor thing.

Overall, great show and easily my favourite from Yuasa. Tatami Galaxy > Kemonozume > Kaiba=Ping Pong. I'm gonna need to cram it into my Top10.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm looking forward to Summer. Because we can finally stop the endless cycle of samey arguments about Euphonium, SAO and FSN.

SAO having more material to adapt probably means we'll never stop that one though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh yes, Yuri maddness again.. everyone should just go watch Sakura Trick if it doesn't work out...
Doesn't work out...? That's not an option. Once the goggles are on the conclusion has already been arrived at. Reality matters not. Is it yuri? Yes it is. That's how it works.

I'm looking forward to Summer. Because we can finally stop the endless cycle of samey arguments about Euphonium, SAO and FSN.

SAO having more material to adapt probably means we'll never stop that one though.

Prepare for the arguments on whether or not Ren-chon and Hajime are autistic

(I dunno if that actually happened here during the shows S1 but I remember that elsewhere)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I have no idea what I'm even gonna pick up from summer that isn't Umaru-chan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom