• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizons will flyby Pluto on July 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Just the way it moves compared to the other dots. They've been doing this type of stuff since like 3rd century BC. Not as precise, but the idea is the same.

It's still mind blowing that they can do that.

yeah i know..but...all of those dots are in different places from the original capture. how you know that one dot is the wonder child planet of our solar system fam? and then to follow up on it with science to be proven correct...that's the stuff that melts my head

KarmaCow

what in the fuk makes you say "hey...that little dot out of tens on this page....that shit's a planet"

in 1930

my mind is too gone brehs

You can kinda see why in the image, that dot moved. There's a bit more to it with Pluto but that's how planets were discovered in ancient times. The name itself is derived from the greek word for wanderer because they were the dots that moved relative to the stationary stars.

edit:
The quality of the captures are low but the stars in those images don't really move and certainly not so drastically a mere week apart.

cameron

yeah i know..but...all of those dots are in different places from the original capture. how you know that one dot is the wonder child planet of our solar system fam? and then to follow up on it with science to be proven correct...that's the stuff that melts my head

The motion of planets in our solar system is pure jank when observed from Earth.

21pATmn.jpg

HTupolev

yeah i know..but...all of those dots are in different places from the original capture.
Huh? The exposure changes, but most of the dots in those images are effectively fixed relative to one another.

(Also, they predicted the existence of the planet based on perturbations in Neptune's orbit; the guy was specifically looking for moving dots in an informed-guess region of space.)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Guys, what happens after the flyby? Does it orbit the planet? Visit it's moons?

It is heading towards the Kuiper Belt. They have three targets in mind.

Edit- No orbit, it will just be flying past Pluto and it's moons (mostly Charon).

KarmaCow

The motion of planets in our solar system is pure jank when observed from Earth.

21pATmn.jpg

In retrospect it's silly but it's a feat in of itself how people tried to reconcile this with the geocentric model. It turns the relatively simple solar system into a monstrosity of epicycles upon epicycles to have it remain consistent.

Ovid

Everyones done a fly by and splashdown on Uranus. Its old news.

Pluto is too small and its going too fast for it to orbit. Itll just fly out into the kuiper belt like Voyager.

It is heading towards the Kuiper Belt. They have three targets in mind.

Edit- No orbit, it will just be flying past Pluto and it's moons (mostly Charon).

It flies off into space.

Going way too fast to fall into orbit.

We'll get some pretty pictures of the moons during the flyby, especially Charon.
Thanks.

Flying into the Kuiper Belt sounds even better orbiting.

what in the fuk makes you say "hey...that little dot out of tens on this page....that shit's a planet"

in 1930

my mind is too gone brehs
Overlay transparencies and then use a magnifying glass.

Times like this I'm glad I was born before computers. LOL.

BKK

wu3VZDS.jpg

My name's on this CD :) Ten years seemed so far away when I submitted it, now there's just a few days to go!

OctoMan

Banned
This happens in any solar system. Star wobble is how astronomers predict the number of planets in systems too far to be resolved visually.
Maybe a dumb question but how much "wobble" room for error either on earth's end or the suns end do we have before wed get all fucked up?

Schrade

wu3VZDS.jpg

My name's on this CD :) Ten years seemed so far away when I submitted it, now there's just a few days to go!

Wait... refresh my memory on this. I might have gotten my name in there too. Was there a website or something for this?

Space Monster

Neo Member
wu3VZDS.jpg

Yeah, my name's on there too.

But who ever picks up that probe in a bazillion years from now is gonna be seriously disappointed: "Wow! A message from an alien civilization! I wonder what wisdom they have to share? lets see...Aaron A. Aardvark, Abel A. Aachen, Abner A.....aw, crap."

But who ever picks up that probe in a bazillion years from now is gonna be seriously disappointed: "Wow! A message from an alien civilization! I wonder what wisdom they have to share? lets see...Aaron A. Aardvark, Abel A. Aachen, Abner A.....aw, crap."

Its probably going to drift in interstellar space forever. No one will ever know that Space Monster ever existed as even your bones back on Earth will have long turned to dust.

jerry113

Banned

The probe is carrying some other fun items, including the ashes of the person who discovered Pluto!

http://www.universetoday.com/20155/stowaways-revealed-on-new-horizons-spacecraft/

Its probably going to drift in interstellar space forever. No one will ever know that Space Monster ever existed as even your bones back on Earth will have long turned to dust.

"Ne orizo ts" will come back. And will demand to meet the creator who have many names.

DieH@rd

Banned
Wait what, a CD? Are they sending a CD player too, or is it "you figure it out"?

They are sending CD with names, US flag and 1 ounce of the ashes of Clyde Tombaugh [astronomer who discovered Pluto in 1930]. One of the science instruments carries the name of Venetia Burney, girl who suggested that planets name should be Pluto.

Maybe a dumb question but how much "wobble" room for error either on earth's end or the suns end do we have before wed get all fucked up?
I believe systems fall into relative equilibrium before the planets solidify. I'm going on past memory though. I only made my post because I remember reading about how astronomers discovered the first extra-solar systems out there. Since not even Hubble could resolve individual planets around Alpha Centauri, then they had to determine if by measuring tiny variances in the star's motion. Essentially wobbling. Even then, scientists would only guess at the presence of large bodies like gas giants. Rocky planets might not have enough mass to create a discernable change in the star's trajectory. No doubt the science has gotten lots better. I'm referencing like the first such discoveries, which I believe happened in the 80s or 90s. Thanks Popular Science.

Watching the fly-by in preview mode on the NASA Eyes app is so cool. I wish there was some way for video to be taken of the event, but alas.

G-Bus

Banned
Is there very little debre this far out in the solar system?

Seems pretty incredible to have this probe traveling for 9 years without being hit by anything.

Seems pretty incredible to have this probe traveling for 9 years without being hit by anything.

Space is huge. The asteroid field has several million kilometers between them for example. Outside of comets most of the little debris was swallowed up by Jupiter or flung out into the Kuiper belt.

Damaniel

Banned
Overlay transparencies and then use a magnifying glass.

Times like this I'm glad I was born before computers. LOL.

Pluto was essentially discovered by someone using a tool called a blink comparator to rapidly shift between multiple images of the same part of the sky, looking for objects that moved while the others stood still. Very, very tedious work indeed.

Ithil

There's very little debris anywhere in the solar system. It's a big place.

I'm not sure you grasp just how vast space is, it's pretty incomprehensible how vast it is. It's like having two gnats in the middle of like 100 Atlantic oceans.

Mohonky

Last laughs on us, aliens will use the names on the CD's on their 'too probe' list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom