• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizons will flyby Pluto on July 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
New image released today:

7-8-15_pluto_color_new_nasa-jhuapl-swri.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-s-new-horizons-a-heart-from-pluto-as-flyby-begins

omgomgomg

I missed almost all of Voyager's discoveries in real time. This may -just- be Pluto, but this is big for me.

Just thinking how close we are to getting high resolution images from Pluto amazes me.

Yup, and the fact that we can see the data & images so soon after they've been captured is astounding to me. A few hours after they've processed the data they release some pretty images. Fantastic.

mnannola

“The next time we see this part of Pluto at closest approach, a portion of this region will be imaged at about 500 times better resolution than we see today,” said Jeff Moore, Geology, Geophysics and Imaging Team Leader of NASA’s Ames Research Center. “It will be incredible!”

Hell ya.

Culex

Banned
I'm assuming that if you were standing on the surface of Pluto it would be pitch black in every direction?

thefro

I'm assuming that if you were standing on the surface of Pluto it would be pitch black in every direction?

http://coolcosmos.ipac.caltech.edu/ask/153-What-would-the-Sun-look-like-from-Pluto-

Since Pluto is so far away from the Sun (at a average distance of 3,670,050,000 miles), the Sun would look much dimmer and smaller that it does from here on Earth. From Pluto, the Sun would look like a very bright star and would light up Pluto during the day about as much as the full Moon lights up Earth at night.

Prez

I guess the sky would look different since Pluto has much smaller atmosphere but if you're referring to brightness only, look up your local Pluto time here:

http://solarsystem.nasa.gov/plutotime/

When you look outside at that time on a clear day, that's how bright it is on Pluto at noon. Many people have taken pictures at their local Pluto time (also in the link above) and it's surprisingly bright.

Deadstar

I fear for humanity. We are not going to like what we see when we look at the surface of pluto. There will be nothing but dangerous alien dinosaur hybrids roaming the world. It's a can of worms we shouldn't open up.

NeoRausch

I fear for humanity. We are not going to like what we see when we look at the surface of pluto. There will be nothing but dangerous alien dinosaur hybrids roaming the world. It's a can of worms we shouldn't open up.

Yeah, I can't wait for No Man's Sky too!

Thirty planned observations were lost during the three-day recovery period, but that represents less than a per cent of the total science the New Horizons team is hoping to collect between July 4th and July 16th.

I've always wondered, how exactly do you quantify "science"? Or at least in this context?

Smokey

Does anybody stop and think....how insane this is?

9 years and billions of miles out into space....

we managed to get something within figurative spitting distance and will be receiving high res pictures

bruh

A-V-B

we managed to get something within figurative spitting distance and will be receiving high res pictures

bruh

Universe runs on math. Speak the language and you'll have good times.

Mostly good times.

Log4Girlz

bruh

NASA's budget should be doubled. They get shit done. Ask them wtf they been spending money on and the fuckers got receipts. They know their shit.

Nocebo

The new picture looks great. Looking forward to more. It feels like space exploration is starting to gain some popularity again. Hopefully missions into space will increase in frequency in the future.

SpaceX is driving costs of rocket launches down already right? Just by being able to manufacture and assemble all the parts in house? Maybe they can be used for missions like this in the future.

I'm super excited about the NASA asteroid redirect mission as well.

StayDead

Seeing Pluto is great and I'm so glad I'm going to get to see it, but I'm really excited for when we get a probe to another solar system.

Eugh why are we still not building a space elevator. Being able to assemble ships in space removes such a huge amount off need for things like fuel to get ourselves out of earths gravity.

MrBigBoy

Imagine there are aliens on Pluto, and they drew that heart on the surface to play mindtricks with us.

Anyway, can't wait for the high-res pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom