• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizons will flyby Pluto on July 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardKSJ

Reminded me of this story...

phobos_probe_2_zpsrqjpycs9.jpg
phobos_probe_1_zpsdrnduyjw.jpg

610_by_vicialblue-d9012gu.gif

----

Glad it's been fixed, for now...

I myself have been waiting for this moment for a long time.

Insane Metal

Gold Member

I can't express how fucking sad I am with this. So many years and all the time the instruments worked GREAT, then just a few days from the main goal the contact is lost. This is such horrible news. And the fact that it takes 9 hours to even get data from the craft and more 9 hours to send it back... well... I really REALLY hope they can still at least capture a few pictures from Pluto.

This is a sad day.

what if the pictures have revealed a secret they don't want us to know?

what if communications have not been lost and we're now communicating with our creators?

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
I can't express how fucking sad I am with this. So many years and all the time the instruments worked GREAT, then just a few days from the main goal the contact is lost. This is such horrible news.And the fact that it takes 9 hours to even get data from the craft and more 9 hours to send it back... well... I really REALLY hope they can still at least capture a few pictures from Pluto.

This is a sad day.

9 hours per round trip. That's 4.5 hours to get data from, then 4.5 hours for data sent to reach. Not 9 hours each way.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
9 hours per round trip. That's 4.5 hours to get data from, then 4.5 hours for data sent to reach. Not 9 hours each way.
Yeah, I got it wrong. That far less worse then. Still bad. COME ON NASA! I trust you guys, I know you can do it! Man, I've been keeping up with this mission since waaaaay before NH even launched. I'm so hyped :(

I can't imagine the scientists involved in this. They must be basically freaking out atm.

ajpw

No, it's simply too small of an object at that distance. Our moon is significantly larger than it and pluto is at the outer reaches of the solar system. That's why with the exception of like a handful of stars, no telescope, not even Hubble can resolve stars as anything but points of light.

my eyes resolve stars as points of light

UFO

Banned
I can't express how fucking sad I am with this. So many years and all the time the instruments worked GREAT, then just a few days from the main goal the contact is lost. This is such horrible news. And the fact that it takes 9 hours to even get data from the craft and more 9 hours to send it back... well... I really REALLY hope they can still at least capture a few pictures from Pluto.

This is a sad day.

Bro, calm down. The spacecraft experienced an anomaly and switched into safemode like it was designed to do. All is not lost, it's still 10 days out from the closest flyby with pluto, it's going to be fine. Space missions are rarely straightforward and simple.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

This is a sad day.

It's been said already, but relax:

Communication has since been reestablished and the spacecraft is healthy.

The Sum of Zero

Gold Member
Saw this on the twitter of cbs_spacenews:

Pluto-bound New Horizons should return to normal operations Tuesday, NASA says. Telemetry shows safe mode triggered by subtle timing glitch.

EDIT: NASA statement confirming.

http://www.nasa.gov/nh/new-horizons-plans-july-7-return-to-normal-science-operations/

July 5, 2015
NASA’s New Horizons Plans July 7 Return to Normal Science Operations
NASA’s New Horizons mission is returning to normal science operations after a July 4 anomaly and remains on track for its July 14 flyby of Pluto.

The investigation into the anomaly that caused New Horizons to enter “safe mode” on July 4 has concluded that no hardware or software fault occurred on the spacecraft. The underlying cause of the incident was a hard-to-detect timing flaw in the spacecraft command sequence that occurred during an operation to prepare for the close flyby. No similar operations are planned for the remainder of the Pluto encounter.

“I’m pleased that our mission team quickly identified the problem and assured the health of the spacecraft,” said Jim Green, NASA’s Director of Planetary Science. “Now – with Pluto in our sights – we’re on the verge of returning to normal operations and going for the gold.”

Preparations are ongoing to resume the originally planned science operations on July 7 and to conduct the entire close flyby sequence as planned. The mission science team and principal investigator have concluded that the science observations lost during the anomaly recovery do not affect any primary objectives of the mission, with a minimal effect on lesser objectives. “In terms of science, it won’t change an A-plus even into an A,” said New Horizons Principal Investigator Alan Stern of the Southwest Research Institute, Boulder.

Adding to the challenge of recovery is the spacecraft’s extreme distance from Earth. New Horizons is almost 3 billion miles away, where radio signals, even traveling at light speed, need 4.5 hours to reach home. Two-way communication between the spacecraft and its operators requires a nine-hour round trip.

Outstanding news!

Yka

I guess I felt a bit lazy after doing a big update to the Art Bell thread. Just searched for the images and this particular story and copied the first description I found.

Nothing wrong with the source, if you meant it that way. Usually you find UFO stories from UFO sites.

In Pluto related news...

Richard C. Hoagland is going to host a special six hour radio show called Pluto: The LAST Encounter. July 14, 12AM-6AM P.T. Dark Matter Digital Network. That should be fun to listen to!

logo_tosom_zpsblxgqjvp.jpg
richard_hoagland_2_zpsxrqled2g.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Be crazy if the reason we haven't seen any signs of intelligent life in the universe is Von Neumann machines guarding the outermost planets of every solar system, activating destruction any time a species attempts to escape those confines. Pass that test and assure your culture's annihilation.

So crazy it's probably true.

androvsky

Be crazy if the reason we haven't seen any signs of intelligent life in the universe is Von Neumann machines guarding the outermost planets of every solar system, activating destruction any time a species attempts to escape those confines. Pass that test and assure your culture's annihilation.

We're apparently able to sneak multiple spacecraft past their detection grid, so we're all set to take them on. ;)

Then we just need to throw enough probes at it. It'll be like how the only way we know black holes exist is because of their effects on other bodies, not because we can directly measure them.

Log4Girlz

That dude died in the 50's, he didn't make no machines.

What is this from?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Pluto sure is looking good lately.

What about voyager 1 though?

Also this could have been a good plot point in Prometheus but they were too dumb to capitalize on it.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
NH is suppose to approach Pluto at about 7:50 am.

I have class that day, hopefully I don't miss too much. I will be racing home that day.

GameSeeker

NH is suppose to approach Pluto at about 7:50 am.

I have class that day, hopefully I don't miss too much. I will be racing home that day.

No rush. Remember the actual mission encounter runs from Jul 7th - Jul 16th. Jul 14th is the closest day of encounter and the mission will collect data for two days after New Horizons has flown past Pluto. New Horizons will be recording all the pictures and other science data to an on-board SSD. By Jul 14th only 1% of all the stored data will be transmitted to Earth. The rest of the data will be transmitted to Earth post Jul 16th and it will take many months to send all of it. We will have some great pictures to view on the 14th, but many more pictures will arrives in the days/weeks/months afterwards.

I thought this was going to land on Pluto, no? :/

No, this is the first ever Pluto mission and so it's just a flyby. NASA uses a crawl, walk, run method for science missions to planets & other objects. First do a flyby mission (crawl), then do an orbiter mission (walk), finally do a landing mission (run).

Dizzy

Banned
Oh wow. Pluto is ugly.

This is kind of like going on a blind date. You're all excited to see what she looks like. Then its just this puke coloured blob.

Hopefully theres some interesting features on it at least.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
NASA released some new images, must have been taken before the glitch.

D4bI1vy.png

Man that looks so much like the moon from Majora's Mask before it turns around/up

Oh wow. Pluto is ugly.

This is kind of like going on a blind date. You're all excited to see what she looks like. Then its just this puke coloured blob.

This is an awful thing to say about one of our celestial beauties and you should feel bad

leadbelly

Banned
Oh wow. Pluto is ugly.

The pictures shown so far are barely in focus. Who knows what it looks like close up.

Dizzy

Banned
Man that looks so much like the moon from Majora's Mask before it turns around/up

This is an awful thing to say about one of our celestial beauties and you should feel bad
Maybe if I come back here wearing beer goggles she will look better.

But for real, that bottom half certainly looks interesting. As a kid Pluto was the planet I had the most interest in. All the kiddy science books we had kind of painted it as a big block of blue ice.

Even if shes a minger, I can't wait to get a better look. And yes now that you mentioned Majora's Mask, thats actually kind of cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom