• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizons will flyby Pluto on July 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
These satellites always have double of most main components, so I wouldn't worry about it. If they can't get the main computer operational, I'm sure they can still access all the science equipment from the backup. All the course adjustments for the Pluto flyby are complete.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Lol oh man, that would have been some shit, if at the last leg of the journey, it crapped out.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

im-not-saying-it-was-aliens.jpg

RichardKSJ

They'll get it back on last second and all they will see is a giant evil robot looking right into the camera or alien ship. It will destroy the probe.

"On that day, mankind was sent a grim warning, we are not alone and we are not safe"

Seriously though, I hope they fix it in time.

No, it has to do with scale. Like if the Pillars of Creation are 100K times as far from Earth as Pluto is, but it's 100MM times larger than Pluto, then we're going to be able to get a picture 1000 times clearer. Those aren't the right numbers, but you get the idea.

Basically what he said. All the really clear pictures Hubble puts out are HUGE objects. Galaxies, Nebula, etc. Pluto is the tip of a pin relative to say a house or a barn for Hubble. Even if that pin tip is much, much closer, it's still pretty small relative to huge objects in the distance.

What bad timing. Hopefully they can get it fixed.

They've only got 10 days don't they? I'm a little worried :/

EDIT: Fun fact about probes having problems and jeopardizing missions, Voyager 2 almost didn't get to go to Uranus and Neptune due to a problem with its camera.

After the fly-by of Saturn, the camera platform of Voyager 2 locked up briefly, putting plans to officially extend the mission to Uranus and Neptune in jeopardy. The mission's engineers were able to fix the problem (caused by an overuse that temporarily depleted its lubricant), and the Voyager 2 probe was given the go-ahead to explore the Uranian system.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
They'll get it back on last second and all they will see is a giant evil robot looking right into the camera or alien ship. It will destroy the probe.

"On that day, mankind was sent a grim warning"

Seriously though, I hope they fix it in time.

Welp.

We send something the size of a car billions of miles away....its expected to lose connection. The fact that we are still in contact with it and getting images is amazing.

Kysen

Mind boggling at the communications round trip time. Pluto is so damn far away that at light speed we are still talking hours delay. Its gotta be heartbreaking to have the trip take so long and then have problems days before the passby.

Yka

"On that day, mankind was sent a grim warning, we are not alone and we are not safe"

Reminded me of this story...
The round object is the Mars moon Phobos with a large Mothership nearby. This "highly secret" photo was given to the Western press in 1991, by Colonel Dr. Marina Popovich, a Russian astronaut and pilot who has long been interested in UFO's. At a UFO conference Popovich provided information that she "smuggled" out of the now ex-Soviet Union. This is "the first ever leaked account of an alien mother ship in the solar system". The last transmission from Phobos 2 Soviet satellite was this photograph of a gigantic cylindrical spaceship - estimated to be 20 km long, and 1.5 km in diameter. The 'Mother ship', was photographed on 25 March 1989 hanging or parked next to the Martian moon Phobos. After that last frame was radio-transmitted back to Earth, the probe mysteriously disappeared; according to the Russians it was destroyed.

phobos_probe_2_zpsrqjpycs9.jpg
phobos_probe_1_zpsdrnduyjw.jpg

owlbeak

The safe mode thing should not be a major issue. Spacecraft is still on trajectory and did exactly what it was supposed to do if something happened - boot up the backup computer to get back to communication with Earth again and send telemetry data so they can figure out what's wrong. Might have just been a goofy bit of code they sent up. That's why the backup computer exists.

What sucks is the timing, they have less than 9 days, and 9 hour two-way communication time, to get it sorted so that all the science stuff can be done on the 14th. Hopefully it's not a huge problem and can be sorted in a couple of days and all we miss are a few approach pictures.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
That still has me worried. They are only a couple days away. Well, more than a couple but still, I'm worried.

It's been updated - "Communication has since been reestablished and the spacecraft is healthy."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom