• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsu

noire said:
Saying that your product is better than your competitors isn't "stupider marketing", it's just marketing.

Yes, it is marketing but "stupid marketing", or rather what people call hard sell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_sell). That's why someone refer to him as a used car salesman above. It's pushy and gets on some's nerve.

Smart marketing pull people in without them realizing it.

user_nat said:
Doesn't he have valid points about all those things though?

Working for a company that makes racing games must mean he has at least a slight interest in the genre.

I don't think his questions and car interest are the problem. I for one welcome it.

The issue is Polyphony is managing their information flow to keep people talking about Gran Turismo, especially GTPSP. A somewhat insecure community manager from the competition fell for Polyphony's marketing without realizing it. He should be serving his constituency instead of wasting his time here.

More people will visit this thread as a result of his participation.

Ploid 3.0

I wonder if he's expressing his feelings on the other racing threads (Shift, and Dirt2). I'm betting on no. But he's in a team that work on car games so he must love the genre! Also it seem like his feeding of information in another thread got some people to take his back in this thread. I'm shocked people don't see that his position could effect his posts in this thread, especially after e3.

belvedere

Junior Butler
xGen said:
Che is doing very good job in this thread, everyone is talking about him and his forza. :lol

beachkzx1.gif

spwolf

Ploid 3.0 said:
Also it seem like his feeding of information in another thread got some people to take his back in this thread. I'm shocked people don't see that his position could effect his posts in this thread, especially after e3.

oh i am sure those people know what they are doing... certain members appear only when che overextends himself, to assure us he did not mean any harm, just a bit naive, trying to follow his favourite games on gaming forum in his personal time... It is as subtle as being hit by a bus :lol

fart

Savant
Q: is it worth buying a ps3 slim and prologue now or should i just wait for the full release? i don't even own a tv much less video gaming anything right now.

RavenFox

Banned
spwolf said:
oh i am sure those people know what they are doing... certain members appear only when che overextends himself, to assure us he did not mean any harm, just a bit naive, trying to follow his favourite games on gaming forum in his personal time... It is as subtle as being hit by a bus :lol
Glad Im no the only one that saw this.

fart said:
Q: is it worth buying a ps3 slim and prologue now or should i just wait for the full release? i don't even own a tv much less video gaming anything right now.

Wait until TGS to see if they announce a date for GT5 there. If they don't then it's not coming out this year so you might as well buy Prologue since you'll be able to get it cheap now. You might want to look into Shift also. I'll be getting that and GT PSP to hold me over until GT5 is out.

spwolf

fart said:

i would say that you should start with TV and then see where does that take you :D

but yes, GT5P is $25... pretty affordable and it will definetly give you something to do for few hundred hours :).

If you guys want to start a Time Trial competition, I suggest the M3 on London with default tires. Something simple to start off and maybe Sun/Mon we will switch it up.

Vlightray

Was Watching the Gt5 Vids from Gamescon and straight after I watched the vids of Nfs:Shift and then Forza 3 all cockpit view.

And what awesome games all three are.

Certain things one has and maybe another doesn't have but in the end I'll get all three.
The Sense of speed is a bit higher in Nfs:Shift and Forza 3. Gt5 seems to be extremely smooth the sense of speed is a little less. Maybe it's just the car but either way looks real good.

Afrikan

patsu said:
I believe your team is familiar with "stupider marketing":
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17227334&postcount=7002

... and "stranger marketing":
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-10256571-48.html

If Turn 10's using old E3 build for GC 2009, then I don't see why you're in better shape than Polyphony guys. At least they haven't announced a date yet.

I actually like Gamersyde's GT video quite a bit. Would love to see more.

:lol :lol :lol :lol at Forza still losing that poll.

"So, props to Kazunori Yamauchi-san and the team. I feel that he's passed us the baton. Perhaps he hasn't meant to, but we have taken the genre to new levels and they've stopped evolving the genre. So again, tremendous respect to him, but I'd say the differentiator is they're old school. The emperor's naked, and I don't want to, you know, I don't want to slap him around, but no game competes with us right now."

also this right here still angers me, how can someone be so disrespectful. I wish I was around this guy, just to give him a mean mug and wait for him to say something stupid to me.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Lion Heart said:
If you guys want to start a Time Trial competition, I suggest the M3 on London with default tires. Something simple to start off and maybe Sun/Mon we will switch it up.

Just got my ass kicked on Fugi with my WRX. I was winning it until I completely overtook the first turn.

I'm rusty, haven't played online in awhile.

:D

Playing the Dirt 2 demo made it harder for me to wait for these Sim racers, arghh I just want to play something that doesn't control like it's about to take off from the ground.

Ploid 3.0

Rapping Granny said:
Playing the Dirt 2 demo made it harder for me to wait for these Sim racers, arghh I just want to play something that doesn't control like it's about to take off from the ground.

lol yea that demo was awesome. I played it with someone from gaf. We were constantly fighting for first place in a few of the races vs a lot of other people. Looks so pretty, very arcady though.

tenten

Banned
patsu said:
Yes, it is marketing but "stupid marketing", or rather what people call hard sell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_sell). That's why someone refer to him as a used car salesman above. It's pushy and gets on some's nerve.

Smart marketing pull people in without them realizing it.

Your definition of smart marketing never existed in console business. Just look at quotes from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo executives. Are you new to gaming?

Hydrargyrus

Quit talking about Che. You all are doing his work... his dirty marketing strategies

This guy looks frightened, for something it will be...

dalin80

Banned
if a little demo at games con has caused 20 pages of bullshit god knows what a full media release will trigger.

as long as we get some facts rather then specualtion i will be content.

This thread is really starting to make me believe that I love the games but I hate most of the fans.

I really hope at some point they announce the events,I love long endurance races and hope they don't lower the laps.

offshore

^^ that shot has me looking forward to the next generation already. If GT5 can look that good on an ancient GFX card, then next gen will be insane.

Gravijah

offshore said:
^^ that shot has me looking forward to the next generation already. If GT5 can look that good on an ancient GFX card, then next gen will be insane.

I sense another era of 30 FPS, sigh.

Gravijah said:
I sense another era of 30 FPS, sigh.

At least one company won't go that way.

IL: Sixty frames per second is good. How is something like that possible on a handheld?

Yamauchi (laughs): With a lot of effort. Sixty frames per second is something we're really wanting to stick to, because otherwise, we can't call it a game -- or at least I wouldn't call it a video game.

Iknos

Ploid 3.0 said:
I wonder if he's expressing his feelings on the other racing threads (Shift, and Dirt2). I'm betting on no. But he's in a team that work on car games so he must love the genre!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17228956&postcount=217

Really guys it's got nothing at all to do with him. It's about the defense force taking offense with everything he says and then talking about him for pages on end.

If you really didn't like his comment about how he thinks it's going to be a 2010 release then talk about why you think he's wrong. No need to examine his motives it serves no purpose.

Jumping on everyone and questioning their motives is derailing the thread.

With that over with...

I wonder if TGS will bring another build of the game. It's only a month away but it is possible that the build played at GC is a few months old.

Another consideration is that maybe they are nearly done the game and it didn't make sense to waste time making another stable build. Maybe they are aiming for a release this year and are devoting all their time to finishing the game. GC saw another game featuring an E3 build for this reason.

Hypothetically if GT5 was given a full expose at TGS...it would give the game enough exposure and marketing time for a December release. October and November could be devoted to advertising and that seems like a good amount of time. Really the PS3 Slim is only getting a couple of months of advance notice so I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that GT5 gets the same timeframe.

offshore

It seems logical to me that they'd bring GT5 out while there is interest in the slim.

GT3 wasn't released too far after the PS2 was released, and with Sony going far past a re-launch of the PS3 but more going into warp factor 9 into ensuring that everything about the "old" PS3 is truly dead and buried by marketing the PS3 as a "new" PS3, releasing GT5 soon after may ensure that this "new" PS3 recieves the same boost from GT5 as the PS2 did from GT3.

Although GT5 has more stiff competition these days, so that boost isn't absolutely ensured, but in any case, the sooner Sony get GT5 on the PS3, the better.

Elios83

Oh snap GT5 already confirmed for 2009?

M20090821020135294.jpg

It's a pic of the official brochure my friends who went at GC found in the private booth.
As you can read the game is set to be relased in Q4 2009.

Doc Evils

Elios83 said:

M20090821020135294.jpg

It's a pic of the official brochure my friends who went at GC found in the private booth.

isn't Q4 between December and March?

Sirolf

Elios83 said:

M20090821020135294.jpg

Well Che...CHEEEEEE!! WHERE ARE YOUUUUUU ??

isn't Q4 between December and March?

No..Oct-Nov-Dec

offshore

The first surprising aspect of Gran Turismo 5 came with the AI. The opposition drivers are much more aggressive now than in previous games. They will have absolutely no problem taking you out of the race, and then further taking you out when you try to rejoin. It's easier to wait until the pack has passed and try to recuperate what's left.

http://www.gamingunion.net/news/gran-turismo-5-hands-on--350.html

I hope that bit is true, and not just the AI being dumb. It's about time we had a good challenge from the AI.

Elios83 said:

M20090821020135294.jpg

Good news, I was beginning to lose faith.

Arnie

Hype building, if they managed to show a near final build of the game at TGS then that would give them enough time before December. To be fair, all Gran Turismo really needs for marketing is a few posters and a solid TV advert. The name sells its quality far above any fancy marketing techniques.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Far out, if they plan on releasing it this year, can they please hurry up and actually start releasing info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom