• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo movie reviews dropping - Eurogamer

Eotheod

Reviewers say great things about a movie you are invested in: "these people are so right on the money here, greatest movie!"

Reviewers say negative things about a movie you are invested in: "reviewers are paid shills worth dog piss, wait for consumer feedback as they are the true bastions of critical knowledge!"

No one wins, everyone loses. Also the movie looked like shit in the trailers, with horrendous dialogue and awkward looking scene shots outside of the racing.

"No LGBTQBBQ+ representation in this movie. 2/10" - Polygon. Probably.
You have a bone to pick and it's sitting rent free in your head. Just let it go man, they've won already by making you post this.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Chris Gore of Film Threat liked it. He hasn't released his official review yet. But he recommend watching the movie while on one of Midnight's Edge podcast.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
A better concept for this film would have been a troubled teen kidnaps his younger autistic and even more troubled brother that is a race car driving savant and they high tail it to California to compete in a big auto race in a stolen Ferrari with the help of another runaway young probable prostitute while being chased by a child hating bounty Hunter who is trying to find the kids before the troubled teens alcoholic father and Christian slater who is himself learning to drive find them first.

A better concept for this film would have been a troubled teen kidnaps his younger autistic and even more troubled brother that is a race car driving savant and they high tail it to California to compete in a big auto race in a stolen Ferrari with the help of another runaway young probable prostitute while being chased by a child hating bounty Hunter who is trying to find the kids before the troubled teens alcoholic father and Christian slater who is himself learning to drive find them first.
A spiritual successor to The Wizard...
Happy Jim Carrey GIF

If any studios are interested in buying the rights to my real life story for a Forza Motorsport movie, let me know.

It’s about a guy who spends $10,000 on a 1963 Volkswagen Beetle, then proceeds to spend like $200,000 on every single racing upgrade imaginable without even knowing what half that shit does.

Then he takes it out to the track and discovers that the torque to weight is so bonkers, the wheels spin out of control with the slightest touch of the gas pedal, so he glides across the track like an air hockey puck.
But you got better right? You tweaked the differential and upgraded the clutch and transmission to handle the extra torque. Maybe added better tires or even installed All-Wheel Drive to make it easier to maneuver, right? Right?

Last edited:

Hardensoul

I'm still not sure who exactly this movie is for. It seems like it is decades late from a time it would have been decently received. I could still be surprised but I won't hold my breath and I sure as hell won't watch it myself.
It's a true story. The movie is about a promotion by Nissan, invite the best Grand Turismo video gamers and put them to racing school. To see if they can really race. That's the only tie in to the game.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
But you got better right? You tweaked the differential and upgraded the clutch and transmission to handle the extra torque. Maybe added better tires or even installed All-Wheel Drive to make it easier to maneuver, right? Right?
Lol yes all of the above. It was still touchy as hell and under no circumstances could you go full throttle without the tires spinning like crazy. It was pretty fun.

The trailer did nothing to inspire confidence, so I expect this to be awful. For better or worse, the bar is really low this year thanks to all the trash coming from Disney lol.

Hardensoul

The uncharted movie ended with a 45/100 on Metacritic and made about 3.5x its budget
GT movie sits at 47/100 and with a budget of around $100m, the studio expects a box office of around 220m.

I think I’ll do fine.
I agree, I didn't like Uncharted but it was successful enough that they announced sequels. I'll wait for streaming for GT, not a fan of race car movies.

Unknown?

I think people are so tired of trash Marvel and Star Wars films that anything else seems good. That's why there's such a discrepancy between critics and viewers.

Lol yes all of the above. It was still touchy as hell and under no circumstances could you go full throttle without the tires spinning like crazy. It was pretty fun.
I discovered at some point that a smooth launch for rear wheel drive is assured by tuning differential acceleration and deceleration to 0. It can be more if the weight can sustain a straight path. For a lot of all-wheel drive vehicles the same can be accomplished by mirroring Bugatti Chiron Super Sport's default differential settings with front wheel acceleration set to 0%, front wheel deceleration set to about 50%, rear wheel acceleration set to about 55%, rear wheel deceleration set to about 90%, and balance set to about 60-65% depending on changes in time to reach 100mph. That information blew my mind. I was in disbelief at how effective it was.
Disbelief Reaction GIF

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I discovered at some point that a smooth launch for rear wheel drive is assured by tuning differential acceleration and deceleration to 0. It can be more if the weight can sustain a straight path. For a lot of all-wheel drive vehicles the same can be accomplished by mirroring Bugatti Chiron Super Sport's default differential settings with front wheel acceleration set to 0%, front wheel deceleration set to about 50%, rear wheel acceleration set to about 55%, rear wheel deceleration set to about 90%, and balance set to about 60-65% depending on changes in time to reach 100mph. That information blew my mind. I was in disbelief at how effective it was.
Disbelief Reaction GIF
Wow that’s really interesting. Will try something like this for my “weird ass car upgraded to the max” build whenever the new Forza comes out.

DrFigs

not sure why you are just giving these gems out for free?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I think people are so tired of trash Marvel and Star Wars films that anything else seems good. That's why there's such a discrepancy between critics and viewers.

Nah people are tired of blog critics. All movies don’t have to be citizen Kane. It’s okay to have a fun light hearted action/ comedy .,, whatever that doesn’t take itself too seriously but every single internet person thinks themselves some sort of avant-garde film critic. 😵‍💫

Last edited:
Nah people are tired of blog critics. All movies don’t have to citizen Kane. It’s okay to have a fun light hearted action/ comedy .,, whatever that doesn’t take itself too seriously but every single internet person thinks themselves some sort of avant-garde film critic. 😵‍💫

Haha, THIS x100

ManaByte

Gold Member
The uncharted movie ended with a 45/100 on Metacritic and made about 3.5x its budget
GT movie sits at 47/100 and with a budget of around $100m, the studio expects a box office of around 220m.

I think I’ll do fine.
Except they can‘t use the stars to promote it. They’re relying on social media reactions from two weeks of sneak previews.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The plot looks stupid. This movie makes me cringe and I never thought I’d cringe over GT, of all franchises. I love Sony, but their movie ideas suck.

I wonder if Jim Ryan loves this crap or if he just shakes his head on all these big ideas.

Last edited:
As a massive GT fan, I never cared about seeing this in the cinema especially. When it drops on torrents, Ill download it. This should of been a normal documentary....actually maybe there already was one. This can never be as an intriguing car story as lets say Ford vs Ferrari or Rush. Its about an esports kid, doing it for real and this time he can get hurt if he crashes. OK.

The plot looks stupid. This movie makes me cringe and I never thought I’d cringe over GT, of all franchises. I love Sony, but their movie ideas suck.

I wonder if Jim Ryan loves this crap or if he just shakes his head on all these big ideas.
Uncharted made 401m worldwide on a 120m budget.

PlayStation gaming division is more successful than ever.

I mean do you guys just have a raging boner for hating on Jim Ryan or are all you just trying to stir some shit in this thread.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Uncharted made 401m worldwide on a 120m budget.

PlayStation gaming division is more successful than ever.

I mean do you guys just have a raging boner for hating on Jim Ryan or are all you just trying to stir some shit in this thread.
I’m just wondering where the drive is to see this movie. I actually like Jim Ryan. I listen when he speaks and I don’t have much else to say. However, I don’t see the hype in these films. I’ve spent my money on all these games before they were films, rolled the credits, and they were great.

It’s just a very odd film. It feels so out of place? Like what if they made a Madden or FIFA film? MLB the Show and they cast Jon Snow from Game of Thrones as their lead. It’s weird. I don’t see why and maybe I’m just older now. Seeing the young kid streaming, defending his video game simulator to some chick doesn’t appeal to me. Nor do I want to watch the Spider-Man and Max Payne film stars depict a almost cinematic game in and of itself.

Last edited:

foamdino

And its a super boring plot to make a blockbuster movie about but then again, I never expected this to be good.
I agree, a 50 minute documentary would have been fine - no reason to make a film out of this. It's one of those mildly interesting things that crop up from time to time. I feel like reviews saying the plot is rubbish could have picked on something else. It's like saying the plot of Apollo 13 is unrealistic - well it happened so... not a very good critique.

The characters are wooden, the delivery is bad, the VFX are not great etc etc. But the true story isn't good - I'd say it's the one thing that is interesting from the whole package.

CGNoire

Tom is charming but he was miscast. The movie sucked despite everything you wrote, which was not incorrect.

It has an abysmal 6.3 on imdb

Are you kidding me? Uncharted should have been an awesome story. It's one of the best ps3 games and the movie gets 6.3

Weak as fuck
Tom has some charm but only in a very limited range of scenarios and cant carry a film for shit.

The only reason Uncharted did as well as it did is for the same reason the shitty National Treasure did so well. Because both benefited greatly from being released during a period of zero competition. We had to suffer through another shitty National Treasure because of that and the same fate awaits us for Uncharted...uggghhh

Majormaxxx

Tom has some charm but only in a very limited range of scenarios and cant carry a film for shit.

The only reason Uncharted did as well as it did is for the same reason the shitty National Treasure did so well. Because both benefited greatly from being released during a period of zero competition. We had to suffer through another shitty National Treasure because of that and the same fate awaits us for Uncharted...uggghhh
Absolutely a 100% spot on.

nikos

Had the chance to see this last week but decided to wait for Dolby Cinema. Looking forward to it.

I almost never agree with critics. Lots of films I enjoy have bad ratings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom