• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo movie reviews dropping - Eurogamer

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Realism was lacking throughout despite harping on about Gran Turismo's simulator credentials. Yes, the only way to win a race is to finally step on the gas pedal, if only the other racers could've thought of that.

Overly emotional for cheap feels.

Beats you over the head with advertising how amazing and perfect the video game is.

Neil was allergic to pointing the camera forward during racing scenes or allowing the viewer to follow what's actually happening in the race. Instead we get an ADHD mess of constantly sweeping and spinning cameras for TikTok-addled brains, with a bunch of CG on-screen indicators and pauses to briefly inform you where the protagonist is. Too many races, too, so we get a bunch of cliff notes and artificial tension for each one.

Ford v Ferrari is 100x the racing movie. This is how to film a race:

Continuity! Clarity! Cockpit view facing forward! You can follow what's happening!

It was okay, but disposable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Continuity! Clarity! Cockpit view facing forward! You can follow what's happening!

That's a given, FvsF was a gem. Even Days of Thunder holds up very well today in comparison to most of these modern "racing" films.

They were clearly going for the action/gaming/gamer angle. The car sounds were fantastic though.

apowhungo

i was kinda expecting this from the cleanliness of the trailer but the whole blomkamp being too pussy to show any car POV is wild. shoulda taken a page from days of thunder sony! 1980s!

also an underrated racing movie is the death race remake with jason statham, not kidding.

edit: rush is better than ford vs ferrari
Kendrick Lamar Reaction GIF by SZA

Last edited:

AlphaMale

Haven’t seen Rush yet, will fix.
I think Rush is a better story (James Hunt vs. Nikki Lauda), but I think Ron Howard is very bad at filming racing scenes. The shifts and steering rarely match what is shown outside the car. It just looks clumsy.
I think Ford vs. Ferrari race scenes were filmed a little better than Rush.
IMO, Gran Turismo race scenes were filmed better than both. It's as if Blomkamp took notes from Netflix Drive to Survive! lol

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Is anyone really surprised this movie sucks? It's like saying water is wet

Crayon

It was bad but I was at least happy to see how good it could have been. The concept of the movie turned out to be totally sound. It was unimaginative, though. I thought there was one scene that was very good and caught me off guard. So much cheesy shit, though. The relationship between principled coach and rascally business guy was another thing that worked even though their actual characters were shallow. Another hint that gt actually could have had a great movie. Waaaaay too few good things to redeem what we actually got, but I can imagine a movie done right.

The first act of it was especially bad. I had a bad feeling when he sat down to play and they drew a cg car around him. No imagination. What a great opportunity to make people understand this game. That's what they're trying to do there. And all they could come up with was to cg some blunt visualization that says "it's like driving a real car". They could have cut to his online rivals and contrasted his focus and practice compared to other players around the world. Hear a few comments from them aghast of how fast he is. Someone bumping him and him not getting emotional over it where the next guy gets super pissed and blows the race. Doesn't that sound more interesting than the cg car? And I do not do any kind of creative writing or anything like that but I can come up with some better way to establish the meaning of the game than drawing a car over him.

Anyway I went expecting it to be a disaster. It was my duty to see it. Me and the old friend who called me about it because we used to play shitloads of gt. He picked it up again with 7 and that's the only game he plays now. I don't put in anything like the time I used to but I love gt7 and all the others. This movie sucked but at least they tried something different and it's been fun imagining how it could have been better.

edit:Wow that audience score. I just saw that. The younger set must like it?? I cannot sit through a superhero movie so I don't really get summer flicks these days.

Last edited:

apowhungo

oh damn the imax near me is already back to oppenheimer

did anyone see this imax? did the aspect ratio change at all?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
edit:Wow that audience score. I just saw that. The younger set must like it?? I cannot sit through a superhero movie so I don't really get summer flicks these days.
Saw a few fart can BRZs and old and slow 350Zs with more neon's than horsepower leaving the theater in a pack after. So....

Taycan77

For what it's worth Gran Turismo was released to purchase on download services this week. It will go on streaming services (probably Netflix as they have a deal with Sony) around Christmas.

The Worldwide Box Office to date is $111m on a budget of $60m.

oh damn the imax near me is already back to oppenheimer

did anyone see this imax? did the aspect ratio change at all?

Not sure why anyone would want to waste their money and watch this B movie in IMAX. Except a few graphical bits of the car x-ray while he is driving, any other racing movie had better angles. Theres literally nothing special here to justify an IMAX experience.

Orbital2060

Realism was lacking throughout despite harping on about Gran Turismo's simulator credentials. Yes, the only way to win a race is to finally step on the gas pedal, if only the other racers could've thought of that.

Overly emotional for cheap feels.

Beats you over the head with advertising how amazing and perfect the video game is.

Neil was allergic to pointing the camera forward during racing scenes or allowing the viewer to follow what's actually happening in the race. Instead we get an ADHD mess of constantly sweeping and spinning cameras for TikTok-addled brains, with a bunch of CG on-screen indicators and pauses to briefly inform you where the protagonist is. Too many races, too, so we get a bunch of cliff notes and artificial tension for each one.

Ford vs Ferrari is so damn good. Cinematography, casting, direction. Amazingly well done. Totally deserved the Oscar nod, although who cares about that. Just managed so well to capture the excitement of racing, and the danger and feeling of trying to control a monster like the Ford GT mkII.

Unknown?

Finally got around to watching it and other than the, "it's not a game, it's a racing simulator" hit you on the head promotional material, it was really good. F vs F was a better made movie but I don't think the overall story was better or worse, they were both great stories in their own way.

Saw a few people complaining it wasn't 100% accurate, but that's what based on a true story means. It's not a documentary, just like F vs F isn't 100% accurate to history. It's not a 98% like rotten tomatoes suggests but a good 8/10 IMO.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
As Connoisseur and does not have a preference for any brand since I have every console and PC.... I can say that this movie is nonsense....

The game on PS5 is great, but this movie has good photography, but very unreal in some ways, and how shamelessly brands promote Playstation merchandise.

The protagonist is very strange... I don't know, I think it's a movie, they should have put some of the story like in Tetris of how the brand was made for at least a few minutes.... But the story of the movie is absurd.

As a gamer and I like the Playstation brand, I would not recommend this movie 😐.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
As Connoisseur and does not have a preference for any brand since I have every console and PC.... I can say that this movie is nonsense....

The game on PS5 is great, but this movie has good photography, but very unreal in some ways, and how shamelessly brands promote Playstation merchandise.

The protagonist is very strange... I don't know, I think it's a movie, they should have put some of the story like in Tetris of how the brand was made for at least a few minutes.... But the story of the movie is absurd.

As a gamer and I like the Playstation brand, I would not recommend this movie 😐.

I don't understand what you are trying to say?

But the story of the movie is absurd.

What the hell do you mean?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I don't understand what you are trying to say?

What the hell do you mean?

The part about as someone who plays video games, instantly being a professional car racer. Emphasize by saying ''not even the best runners in the world'' and someone obsessed with Gt does it??? Nahhhh, it's fantasy.

Also the fact that the movie puts the sounds randomly in the PS5 menu, I don't know if it's an Easter egg... But they shouldn't use them excessively.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
The part about as someone who plays video games, instantly being a professional car racer. Emphasize by saying ''not even the best runners in the world'' and someone obsessed with Gt does it??? Nahhhh, it's fantasy.

Also the fact that the movie puts the sounds randomly in the PS5 menu, I don't know if it's an Easter egg... But they shouldn't use them excessively.

Again, what the fuck are you talking about?

Yeah it's all just fantasy....

Last edited:
Top Bottom