• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Toki767

I was wondering if that Viewer was going to be it's own program or if it's just going to be available if the PS3 game is in.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Why isn't Motown coming to the USA? Is it importable? Also, why only one Stevie song? Granted I fucking love "For Once in my Life" but I want more.

Toki767

AlternativeUlster said:
Why isn't Motown coming to the USA? Is it importable? Also, why only one Stevie song? Granted I fucking love "For Once in my Life" but I want more.
Like most Singstar games, it's a PAL exclusive. It could end up like Singstar Queen and get a US version later on of course. It is at least importable so you can buy it and play it on your PS3 fine.

No clue why only one Stevie Wonder song was on there. I for one, am disappointed that "My Girl" didn't make it.

AlternativeUlster

Toki767 said:
Like most Singstar games, it's a PAL exclusive. It could end up like Singstar Queen and get a US version later on of course. It is at least importable so you can buy it and play it on your PS3 fine.

No clue why only one Stevie Wonder song was on there. I for one, am disappointed that "My Girl" didn't make it.

Cool. So PAL discs work on the Ps3. I am considering getting a Ps3 but sadly the only games I really want to play on it is Singstar Queen and the Team Ico game. What other PAL exclusives are out there?

Toki767

AlternativeUlster said:
Cool. So PAL discs work on the Ps3. I am considering getting a Ps3 but sadly the only games I really want to play on it is Singstar Queen and the Team Ico game. What other PAL exclusives are out there?
Kind of off topic, but the Eyepet game looks really cool in my opinion. I think Singstar's really the only game that has a ton of support in PAL territories compared to other places.

AlternativeUlster

Toki767 said:
Kind of off topic, but the Eyepet game looks really cool in my opinion. I think Singstar's really the only game that has a ton of support in PAL territories compared to other places.

Oh, I meant what Singstars are Euro exclusives.

Tntnnbltn

AlternativeUlster said:
Oh, I meant what Singstars are Euro exclusives.
UK SingStar PS3 releases

Different tracklists to US:
  • SingStar
  • SingStar Vol 2

Not released in US:
  • SingStar Vol 3: Party Edition
  • SingStar Pop Edition
  • SingStar Motown
  • SingStar Take That

Same tracklist as US release:
  • SingStar ABBA
  • SingStar Queen

There's also a bunch of foreign-language releases in other European countries.

Tntnnbltn

EU PS Blog:
Nina Scherer said:
Hi all,

I hope you guys all read this and can pass this on to the rest of the community for me. I’m really sorry to say that there might not be a SingStore update today.

I have just run into some problems but we are trying to sort them out so we can get you the update as soon as possible. Please bear with me and the team.

I’ll keep you in the loop and update you as soon as I can!

Cheers and apologies,

Ninax

AlternativeUlster

Tntnnbltn said:
UK SingStar PS3 releases

Different tracklists to US:
  • SingStar
  • SingStar Vol 2

Not released in US:
  • SingStar Vol 3: Party Edition
  • SingStar Pop Edition
  • SingStar Motown
  • SingStar Take That

Same tracklist as US release:
  • SingStar ABBA
  • SingStar Queen

There's also a bunch of foreign-language releases in other European countries.

Fuck, I forgot about SingStar ABBA. Looks like I will get both song packs. I will check the tracklistings of the other SingStar. Man, if they did a SingStar R.E.M. they would 3 for 3 for me.

Tntnnbltn

lorddct said:
I like how singstar does it in it's engine. It will actually download while playing the game!
But on the flipside, if you want to download 20 songs or so you have to sit with the game open. And if you quit it before it finishes downloading, you have to search through a list of (potentially) hundreds of songs to redownload them. And of course the list does the stupid slow loading thing after every 20th entry or so.

Tntnnbltn

AlternativeUlster said:
Man, if they did a SingStar R.E.M. they would 3 for 3 for me.
They have three R.E.M. songs on the SingStore ("Losing My Religion", "Everybody Hurts", "Stand"). They are available in every regional store AFAIK. Unfortunately, the current standoff with Warner Music Group means no new songs from R.E.M. (post-1988) will be released on the store in the forseeable future.

Their 1983-1987 catalog (including "The One I Love", "It's the End of the World as We Know It", "Fall on Me") was released under I.R.S. Records and appears to be currently managed by Capitol Records (EMI). There's a chance this material could be released on the SingStore in the future, but no assurances.

Edit: Just saw your previous post.

Edit x2: Oh, I thought you asked how much of the disk tracks are available as downloadable songs. I was going to do a whole big list until I re-read it. SingStore songs are US$1.49 / £0.99 / €1.49 / AU$2.45.

AlternativeUlster

Tntnnbltn said:
They have three R.E.M. songs on the SingStore ("Losing My Religion", "Everybody Hurts", "Stand"). They are available in every regional store AFAIK. Unfortunately, the current standoff with Warner Music Group means no new songs from R.E.M. (post-1988) will be released on the store in the forseeable future.

Their 1983-1987 catalog (including "The One I Love", "It's the End of the World as We Know It", "Fall on Me") was released under I.R.S. Records and appears to be currently managed by Capitol Records (EMI). There's a chance this material could be released on the SingStore in the future, but no assurances.

Edit x2: Oh, I thought you asked how much of the disk tracks are available as downloadable songs. I was going to do a whole big list until I re-read it. SingStore songs are US$1.49 / £0.99 / €1.49 / AU$2.45.

Damn, I am going to cut down my list alot for songs to get for 1.50 a piece. The first 10 downloads will be:

1. Teenage Kicks by the Undertones
2. Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
3. Enjoy the Silence by Depeche Mode
4. Standing in the Way of Control by the Gossip
5. Over and Over by Hot Chip
6. Starman by David Bowie
7. Everybody Hurts by R.e.m.
8. Street Spirit by Radiohead
9. Heartbeat by Annie
10. More than This by Roxy Music

then again 15 dollars for 10 songs isn't all that bad.

Toki767

You should also consider that Depeche Mode is only available on the PAL stores, so if you want their song you'll need to be prepared to pay a little more. Around $1.65 if you pay in pounds and $2.12 if you pay in euros

Tntnnbltn

Like Toki said, the UK and US stores have different songs due to regional variations in music licensing. Depeche Mode for example are under EMI in Europe (good) and are under Warner Music Group in the US (bad).

For a list of songs in the US, see: http://singstargame.com/en-us/Browse-Songs-Home/SingStore/#

If you have a method of funding a European account (i.e. European PSN cards which launch next month) you can buy DLC from the European store, and it will be fully compatible with your US DLC/games/account.

The only problem with purchasing DLC from overseas is you may have to repurchase any European songs if your console breaks, thanks to various DRM restrictions. If your console broke, you could call SCEA's customer service to reset the DRM of your US songs, but they won't be able to to anything about songs from a different territory.

teekun

lorddct said:
I like how singstar does it in it's engine. It will actually download while playing the game!

With the abysmal speeds I get from the SingStore in Australia, I don't think I've ever had more than one song complete downloading during a single play session. If they somehow moved everything to connect to the PSN, maybe I'd finally see some improvement, since I don't have any problems with download speeds from the PSN stores of any region, Europe, Australia, or US.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
Usually for me singing one song is enough to complete one download.
Same. I'm also using the SingStore in Australia, and by the time I watch one of the latest downloaded songs the next one is almost complete.

teekun

Tntnnbltn said:
Same. I'm also using the SingStore in Australia, and by the time I watch one of the latest downloaded songs the next one is almost complete.

That is so frustrating to hear. I've been dealing with these speed problems ever since the game released, and have done everything to try to fix it. I've been through two routers and two modems in that time, numerous network configurations, and nothing seems to help. The fact that the PSN doesn't suffer from any of the same issues is equally baffling, but there do seem to be plenty of others out there experiencing the same problems. Nobody seems to know what the core issue is, though, or how to fix it.

Downloading songs is pretty fast for me as well. Not always singing one song is enough, but it almost never takes more than two songs to complete the download.

There was a time when downloads were extremely slow though. But that time was a couple of months ago. I only have a 3Mbit down xDSL line so I guess the Store is delivering at full speed.

----------

Another thing: I'm not very satisfied with the performance of the Wireless Microphones. I'm sitting about 2 Meters away from the receiver, but nevertheless I have interferences. Especially when my Macbook Pro is open and using the WLAN. I absolutely don't understand what kind of technology Sony used for their wireless microphones. The ones from LIPS work so well. :(

web01

Thats probably your problem.

At my house if I use wireless mics and wireless internet at the same time it creates bad interference and reduces download times from the singstar store substantially.

Turning off mics and reseting ps3 fixes it though.

Tntnnbltn said:

Whats the standoff with WMG? First I've heard about it (have been out of the loop for a while however!).

Tntnnbltn

ichinisan said:
Whats the standoff with WMG? First I've heard about it (have been out of the loop for a while however!).
Backstory:
http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3if1b7ae560fd416a7095771f8526bf429 said:
March 2, 2009

MTV Games is not boycotting Warner Music Group artists from the “Rock Band” franchise, despite what an article in the current Wired magazine claims, according to sources from both camps.

Rather, the impasse is best described as a stalemate. WMG CEO and chairman Edgar Bronfman Jr. said last August during the company’s quarterly earnings call that it would start demanding higher licensing rates from music-based videogames.

According to multiple sources involved, WMG has not struck any new content deals for the “Rock Band” platform since.

MTV requested several new licenses in that time, under the same deal terms as before, but WMG responded with counteroffers that MTV would not agree to. So MTV has stopped requesting new licenses until both parties can resolve the licensing dispute.

“Rock Band” releases new music that can be downloaded to the game every week. Rival “Guitar Hero” does so far more infrequently. Since the beginning of this year, several WMG artists—such as Belly, The Grateful Dead, and The Pretenders, among others—have been added to the weekly download offers. And more are in the pipeline, including the entirety of Jane’s Addiction's “Nothing’s Shocking” sometime in the next month.

But these releases are all a result of licensing deals struck prior to Bronfman’s statements last summer. If no deal is reached soon, “Rock Band” will run out of new WMG content to sell in its weekly updates early this summer. What’s more, even once the stalemate ends it could still take as long as four to five months before new WMG content is reinserted into the weekly pipeline, given the time it takes to program music into the game as well as the need to give priority to deals made earlier.

By all accounts, WMG is ready to wait it out. It recently pulled its content from YouTube over a similar licensing disagreement, and previously removed music from Last.fm and Nokia’s mobile music store.

But it faces a more difficult challenge with videogames like “Rock Band” and “Guitar Hero.” Unlike digital retailers--which really need content from all four majors to offer a compelling product--these games only offer a segment of available music to its users. And both are also able to offer cover versions of songs for which they can’t get master recording rights. Black Sabbath’s “Paranoid,” for instance, is one of the top 10 best-selling songs available on the Rock Band downloadable content platform… as a cover.

Until now, the back-and-forth between the videogame makers and WMG was limited to Activision CEO Bobby Kotick—publisher of “Guitar Hero”—and Bronfman. MTV has been far more diplomatic in its response, but is rather letting its actions—refusing WMG’s new licensing terms—speak louder than its words.

Late last year SingStar also stopped receiving content from WMG artists. Existing artists still remain on the store (off the top of my head: REM, Simple Plan, Evermore, The Corrs, Jet, The Wombats), but there hasn't been a single new WMG song since.

Tntnnbltn

New songs GET!

Item / Service Details Unit of Price
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
EP9000-BCES00011_00-1000730000000000-E001 Barbie Girl - Aqua (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100NRW0000000000-E001 We Are The People - Empire Of The Sun (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100FPX0000000000-E001 What You Waiting For? - Gwen Stefani (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100NNW0000000000-E001 Just Dance - Lady Gaga feat Colby O'Donis (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100G300000000000-E001 Mr. Brightside - The Killers (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-1001HT0000000000-E001 Don't Cha - The Pussycat Dolls (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-1000700000000000-E001 Father And Son - Ronan Keating featuring Yusuf (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-1000300000000000-E001 Take Your Mama - Scissor Sisters (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100KLW0000000000-E001 Apologize - Timbaland Feat. OneRepublic (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-10006G0000000000-E001 It's Not Unusual - Tom Jones (SingStar) $2.45
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100HUN0000000000-E001 Love Is All Around - Wet Wet Wet (SingStar) $2.45
Total Amount: $26.95

Tntnnbltn

2akfsex.png

General info:
This is the August edition of our monthly competition. Basically, people try to guess the best selling SingStore songs for the month of August. When the real list is posted on the EU PS Blog sometime next month, people will be scored according to how well they did.

What you have to do:
Have a look at the last couple updates (click here for a list) and say what you think will be the top five purchased songs, worldwide, from August 1 to August 31, 2009. Copy and paste the following template and add in what you think will be the most popular songs. It doesn't matter if you aren't confident -- Take a guess.

Remember: These predictions are for worldwide sales. Take this into account when considering UMG artists

Template:
Code:
[SingStore Predictions - July 2009]
(The reason for the template is so I can go CTRL-F and find everyone's posts :)

Deadline:
Sales predictions are due by 11pm August 31, 2009 (GMT). That's about 8 days from now.

Toki767

Item / Service Details Unit of Price
EP9000-BCES00011_00-1000730000000000-E001 Barbie Girl - Aqua (SingStar) £0.99
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100LKK0000000000-E001 I'll Make Love To You - Boyz II Men (SingStar) £0.99
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100NNW0000000000-E001 Just Dance - Lady Gaga feat Colby O'Donis (SingStar) £0.99
EP9000-BCES00011_00-1001HT0000000000-E001 Don't Cha - The Pussycat Dolls (SingStar) £0.99
EP9000-BCES00011_00-100KLW0000000000-E001 Apologize - Timbaland Feat. OneRepublic (SingStar) £0.99
Total Amount: £4.95

If only I could buy at least 5 songs everytime the store updates. I'd go broke within a year.

Edit: I'm disappointed that "I'll Make Love to You" isn't the full video. It just starts just as they're about to sing.

birdman

Tntnnbltn said:
Late last year SingStar also stopped receiving content from WMG artists. Existing artists still remain on the store (off the top of my head: REM, Simple Plan, Evermore, The Corrs, Jet, The Wombats), but there hasn't been a single new WMG song since.

I guess Sony just hasn't been able to negotiate a reasonable license from WMG. Rock Band has already received DLC that had to have been done after the boycott.

Tntnnbltn

birdman said:
I guess Sony just hasn't been able to negotiate a reasonable license from WMG. Rock Band has already received DLC that had to have been done after the boycott.
From the non-bolded bit...
Since the beginning of this year, several WMG artists—such as Belly, The Grateful Dead, and The Pretenders, among others—have been added to the weekly download offers. [...] But these releases are all a result of licensing deals struck prior to Bronfman’s statements last summer. If no deal is reached soon, “Rock Band” will run out of new WMG content to sell in its weekly updates early this summer.
I haven't kept up with the last few months, although I saw the big announcement they made about securing Green Day exclusivity (WMG). Though I don't know if that was an exception to the rule. They probably paid extra for the exclusivity anyway.

The Lady GaGa track came out good. They charted both Lady GaGa and Colby O'Donis's to a single player, but they made Colby's lines as singing not rapping (thank god) so it ends up working well. If there was forced rap lines in that song I would've been annoyed. Video quality isn't the best, but you don't really notice when singing anyway.

Toki767

Tntnnbltn said:
The Lady GaGa track came out good. They charted both Lady GaGa and Colby O'Donis's to a single player, but they made Colby's lines as singing not rapping (thank god) so it ends up working well. If there was forced rap lines in that song I would've been annoyed. Video quality isn't the best, but you don't really notice when singing anyway.
Just Dance definitely turned out very well. I wonder how long it took them to make it.

lupinko

Picked up:

Ultimate Queen 4
Tom Jones - "It's Not Unusual"
Boyz II Men - "I'll Make Love To You"

I'm debating the Lady GaGa song.

sifu

Neo Member
Hi everyone!
Sorry if this has been already asked.
How do you keep track of your SingStar songs?
I know you could do an excel sheet or just look at the cases but sometimes I´m just wondering "do I have this song on disc"?

I hope they release some good old Boyz II Men tracks :D

kassatsu

Banned
[SingStore Predictions - August 2009]
1. Lady Gaga feat Colby O’Donis – "Just Dance"
2. Kelly Clarkson - "Because Of You"
3. Lou Bega - “Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…)”
4. P!nk - “Family Portrait”
5. Amy Winehouse – "Rehab"

Tntnnbltn

I just discovered I know Texas - "Say What You Want". +1 purchase. Takes that to 12 songs for the update, 209 SingStore songs purchased overall.

lupinko said:
I'm debating the Lady GaGa song.
I'm assuming this would be a 'buy in case other guests would like to sing it' song? In that case, I'd recommend waiting a few weeks to see if we get Poker Face or not.

1. Lady Gaga feat Colby O’Donis – "Just Dance"
I'm unsure whether to do this or not. :-/ Does the popularity and demand for Lady GaGa outweigh the fact that it was released half way through the month and not released at all in the US?

kassatsu

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
I'm unsure whether to do this or not. :-/ Does the popularity and demand for Lady GaGa outweigh the fact that it was released half way through the month and not released at all in the US?
I believe so. There was like shit to buy for the US this month. So I don't expect us to have as big a push in sales numbers.

Tntnnbltn

I left this on the Facebook page:

Facebook Team:
A number of people on the internet are planning to upgrade to a PS3 slim. These people are going to run into issues with locked SingStar DLC. They want to be able to remove content from their original console and transfer it to their new console. It is possible to do this when your PS3 breaks, but it is not known if you can do it for a new console purchase. At present, these people are intending to ring customer support in their respective countries and see what customer support says.

Would it be possible for the SingStar Team to (a) confirm here what is and what is not possible with respect to transferring content to a newly purchased PS3, and (b) make sure customer support in various regions are fully informed?

Hopefully they give a proper response.

Tntnnbltn

You know how I sometimes stumble across information? Well I think I did it again. High chances of seeing Lady GaGa, Bryan Adams and James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado ("Strings") in the next update.

I'll post more info once I've compiled it. Got a bit of cross-referencing to do first.

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
You know how I sometimes stumble across information? Well I think I did it again. High chances of seeing Lady GaGa, Bryan Adams and James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado ("Strings") in the next update.

I'll post more info once I've compiled it. Got a bit of cross-referencing to do first.

Please be "Everything I do, I do it for you" or "Summer of '69"

I love SingStar so much, even if I can hardly get a higer score than 1500 on easy setting. I'm such a bad singer, even if I've been trying to improve during the past year...

All these songs makes me want to spend a lot of money but I always feel bad to buy songs that I'll slaughter to sing over. Hopefully, SingStar is always a winning bet during parties with friend, even if they are not druken.

Tntnnbltn

My final list of new songs/artists I think we might see in the next update...

Bryan Adams
Deep Purple (more than 1 song)
Elton John
James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado - "Broken Strings"
Lady GaGa
Mark Ronson
The Miracles - "Love Machine" (This was from SingStar Motown disc release)
Pet Shop Boys
Razorlight

I don't know anything about back catalogue tracks. No assurances, of course. Don't shoot me (or the SingStar Team) if I'm wrong. :)

agm2502

Tntnnbltn said:
My final list of new songs/artists I think we might see in the next update...

Bryan Adams
Deep Purple (more than 1 song)
Elton John
James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado - "Strings"
Lady GaGa
Mark Ronson
The Miracles - "Love Machine" (maybe just a provisional track from SingStar Motown)
Pet Shop Boys
Razorlight

I don't know anything about back catalogue tracks. No assurances, of course. Don't shoot me (or the SingStar Team) if I'm wrong. :)

Are these definetly for new songs or can they be for ones that are already on the Singstore? I would imagine the Lady GaGa one would be for Pokerface.

agm2502

[SingStore Predictions - August 2009]
1. Gloria Gayner - "I Will Survive"
2. Snow Patrol - "Chasing Cars"
3. Kelly Clarkson - Because of you"
4. Timbaland feat. One Republic - "Apologize"
5. Tom Jones - "It's Not Unusual"

Top Bottom