• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SingStar PS3 - Official Thread: Share your drunken vorspiel videos!

Tntnnbltn

Copyright info of the newly released songs for those who are interested... (well, that's probably only me):

Cher
If I Could Turn Back Time

Words & Music by Warren
(c) 1988, Realsongs. EMI Music Publishing Ltd.
Courtesy of Geffen Records/Polydor UK Ltd
Licensed by kind permission from the Film & TV licensing division
Part of the Universal Music Group

Elton John
Rocket Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long Long Time)
"Rock Man (I Think It's Going To Be A Long, Long Time)" Performed by Elton John.
(John/Taupin)
Published by Universal/Dick James Music Ltd
Courtesy of Mercury Records (London) Ltd

Gloria Gaynor
I Will Survive
Gloria Gaynor 'I Will Survive'
(Perren/Fekaris)
Published by Universal Music Publishing Ltd
Courtesy of Polydor Records US / Polydor UK Ltd

Hoobastank
The Reason
"The Reason" Performed by Hoobastank
Composed by Douglas Robb / Daniel Estrin / Chris HEsse / Markky Lappalaien
Published by Warner/Chappell North America Ltd
By Kind permission of Warner/Chappell Music Ltd
Courtesy of Island Def Jam Music Group / Mercury Records (London) Ltd

The Killers
Somebody Told Me

(Florwers/Keuning/stoermer/Vannucci)
Published by Universal Music Publishing Ltd

Nirvana
Come As You Are
Words and Music by Kurt Cobain
(c) 1991, EMI Virgin Songs Inc / The End Of Music, USA
EMI Virgin Music Ltd, London WC2H 0QY
Courtesy of Geffen Records / Polydor UK Ltd

Scissor Sisters
Laura

Words & Music by Hoffman and Sellards
(c) 2004, EMI Music Publishing Ltd
Courtesy of Polydor UK Ltd

Tears For Fears
Everybody Wants To Rule The World

Words and Music by Roland Orzabal, Chris Hughes and Ian Stanley
(c) 1985 EMI Virgin Music Ltd/EMI 10 Music Ltd, London WC2H 0QY
Courtesy of Mercury Records (London) Ltd
I don't know much about the UMG label substructure (especially in the UK), but it seems a decent distribution of everything. Wikipedia says that Polydor, Island and Mercury are the three main labels of UMG UK, and all are represented above. :)

God I'm going to have buy at least 10 from the last update. Up to 263 Songs now on the Carousel. Its taking quite a scroll through.
I have 203 now. It would be 204, but Australian store has a padlock on REM - Everybody Hurts. <_<

Edit: MIND BLOWN! Was just watching Lily Allen - "The Fear" and noticed the lyrics are typed as...
"I'll look at the Sun
And I'll look in the Mirror"
I was like 'why the fuck is Mirror capita -- oooh shit'.
Never got that before. :)

agm2502

I'm hoping we get another batch of UMG songs on the 20th even though they released all the songs listed for coming in August.

edit: the Sun and Mirror are newspapers here in the UK

Tntnnbltn

agm2502 said:
I'm hoping we get another batch of UMG songs on the 20th even though they released all the songs listed for coming in August.
They are always conservative in announcing these types of things. If they gave a list of everything they expected to release on the 6th + the 20th, then some of it got pushed back to the September update, people would have complained about being lied to. It's not surprising that they only told us the songs they were 90% sure would be released this week anyway.

Remy

Just a note for us poor suckers in the US, Singstar Queen (Stand Alone) finally started shipping from Amazon yesterday. My copy is out for delivery, so I'm considering today's fairly poor US update negated.

(I'm still buying Joyride, though.)

This game really needs an option to sort songs in playlists, or being able to remove songs without having to redownload. There are several I rarely feel like playing or some my friends got and they clutter up my list.

birdman

woodypop said:
Yeah, RB is a cakewalk in comparison.

I'm getting used to it, but hard is still a son of a bitch. Doesn't help that I'm playing Singstar Queen and Freddie can be really hard to pitch match.

woodypop

SiegfriedFM said:
This game really needs an option to sort songs in playlists, or being able to remove songs without having to redownload. There are several I rarely feel like playing or some my friends got and they clutter up my list.
Yeah, there are songs on some discs that I never sing. It would be great to be able to somehow omit them from the selection carousel.

Tntnnbltn

From the Blog...

SingStar Top 20 Downloads – July

* 1. Because Of You – Kelly Clarkson
* 2. So What – P!nk
* 3. Not Fair – Lily Allen
* 4. My Immortal – Evanescence
* 5. Bring Me To Life – Evanescence
* 6. It’s A Sin – Pet Shop Boys
* 7. The Offspring – Pretty Fly (For A White Guy)
* 8. Mambo No. 5 (A Little Bit Of…) – Lou Bega
* 9. Roxette Ballads
* 10.Would I Lie To You – Charles and Eddie
* 11. Family Portrait – P!nk
* 12. I Want You Back – The Jackson 5
* 13. Eternal Flame – The Bangles
* 14. Ultimate Take That
* 15. Ultimate Coldplay 2
* 16. Sometimes – Erasure
* 17. Toi + Moi – Grégoire
* 18. Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse Of The Heart
* 19. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody
* 20. Sade – Smooth Operator

Tntnnbltn

30vlmci.png

Full results:
Code:
24.0	[SSWF] wdreamer
24.0	[SSWF] RS3_
21.0	[SSC]  BlaizeK
20.0	[SSWF] playable_daniel
19.5	[GAF]  lupinko
18.0	[GAF]  agm2502
17.5	[GAF]  Shinriji
16.0	[SSWF] KN77_NRUE
16.0	[SSWF] Cabalando
15.5	[GAF]  micromagic
15.5	[GAF]  Tntnnbltn
14.5	[GAF]  kassatsu
08.5	[SSC]  Bowlol
08.5	[SSC]  ThatSingstarGirl

Site average:
Code:
20.3  [SSWF]  SingStar World Forum
16.8  [GAF]   NeoGAF
12.6  [SSC]   SingStar Challenge

Tntnnbltn

Fixed the results.

The scoring is done by 5 points for guessing in the right position, then half a mark for each position off you are.

My excel sheet said:
Code:
Points = 5 - 0.5*(YourRank - ActualRank)

Should have been:
Code:
Points = 5 - 0.5*ABS((YourRank - ActualRank))

Without the absolute function it was actually adding points in some circumstances for being far away from the right rank.

Oh crap.....there was me patting myself on the back.
If it's any consolation, you scored the same as me. :p

Shinriji

I thought that Lily Allen were more popular than Kelly Clarkson in Europe. Not only that, but "Not fair" is a somewhat recent song. "I want you back" were a massive dissapointment, sales-wise. No one score choosing that song. :lol

Well, GAF Top 3 on my first go. Gonna join the fun more often, but August predictions gonna be weird, to say the least.

Toki767

Shinriji said:
I thought that Lily Allen were more popular than Kelly Clarkson in Europe. Not only that, but "Not fair" is a somewhat recent song. "I want you back" were a massive dissapointment, sales-wise. No one score choosing that song. :lol
I think if anything this shows just how many people in the US actually buys songs. Most people in the US know Kelly Clarkson and "Because of You" was a big hit here. I think if "I Want You Back" was actually available in the US store as well, it would've gotten higher in the charts. Though it did come out for only 2 days so that would explain the position.

Tntnnbltn

Toki767 said:
I think if "I Want You Back" was actually available in the US store as well, it would've gotten higher in the charts. Though it did come out for only 2 days so that would explain the position.
Came out on the 23rd. It had 8 days on the charts.

I think if anything this shows just how many people in the US actually buys songs. Most people in the US know Kelly Clarkson and "Because of You" was a big hit here.

"Because of You" actually performed really well worldwide. But yeah, I thought the recency of "Not Fair" would outweigh the extra US sales from "Because Of You". That and the forum talk had a lot more attention going towards Lily Allen than Kelly Clarkson when I posted the updates.

Top 5 songs in the charts:
Code:
POS   YEAR   ARTIST           TITLE                US   UK  AUS   DE   FR   IT   ES   Month
===========================================================================================
 #1   2004   Kelly Clarkson   "Because of You"      7    7    4    4   13   --   --    JUN
 #2   2009   Pink             "So What"             1    1    1    1    4   10    1    JUL
 #3   2009   Lily Allen       "Not Fair"           --    5    3   12   --    4   --    JUN
 #4   2003   Evanescence      "My Immortal"         7    7    4    5   11    3   --    MAY
 #5   2003   Evanescence      "Bring Me To Life"    5    1    1    2    5    1   --    MAY

Tntnnbltn

EktorPR said:
Erm...so what happened with the US update? :(

EU PS Blog:
lanocty (Canada) said:
You do such a good job giving us into about Singstar for Europe. But US gamers are curious why is there no one to give us details about the US?

Specifically the US update still hasn’t gone through and we’ve had no info about why or when it will be fixed?

Cam you help shed some light on this for us?
Nina Scherer (SingStar Content Manager for Europe) said:
Well, let me tell you, as I am only moonlighting on the US blog for the time being, I’ll do my best to find things out. Not so easy with the time difference as you can imagine :) So, the update should be going live in the next couple of days but I am still waiting for the confirmation. Will let you know as soon as i can upload your content for you in the US.

lupinko

Toki767 said:
I wonder what the problem was in getting the update out. UMG songs aren't it, maybe it was all the Spanish songs?

Probably.

Code:
24.0	[SSWF] wdreamer
24.0	[SSWF] RS3_
21.0	[SSC]  BlaizeK
20.0	[SSWF] playable_daniel
[B]19.5	[GAF]  lupinko[/B]
18.0	[GAF]  agm2502
17.5	[GAF]  Shinriji
16.0	[SSWF] KN77_NRUE
16.0	[SSWF] Cabalando
15.5	[GAF]  micromagic
15.5	[GAF]  Tntnnbltn
14.5	[GAF]  kassatsu
08.5	[SSC]  Bowlol
08.5	[SSC]  ThatSingstarGirl

Yay? lol
And that was a great Smokey Robinson performance, his cover of Norah Jones' Don't Know Why was much better than the original actually. :-D

Tntnnbltn

Spanish press release for SingStar Motown:

Automated translation said:
Madrid, August 12, 2009. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) will provide an injection of soul to the saga with the new SingStar ® Motown SingStar ® for PLAYSTATION ® 3 (PS3 ™), exclusively for PAL territories. Coinciding with the fiftieth anniversary of the label was born in Detroit, this fall will be released a new title SingStar ® that contain the major successes of the 'black music'.

Classic sound that defined a musical era and gave way to some of the most memorable songs of all time. In fact, the artists of Motown have almost two hundred 'number one' in the lists of all the world, and now, thanks to SingStar ® can sing again and again.

The ladies will enjoy chanting 'Stop! In The Name Of Love' from the legendary The Supremes, while they will test their voices and charms playing Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson among others. And forget about the tangle of cables with the new wireless microphones SingStar ®!

Motown joins with SingStar ®, as others have done recently of music icons like ABBA and Queen.

The list of Motown songs, SingStar ® is packed with timeless classics that will put our throats and our English test.
I believe this is the first time Motown has been explicitly mentioned as a PAL exclusive. No US release confirmed.

Boxart: (click image for large version)

Tntnnbltn

(SingStar tangent) -- We Sing for Wii:
qwwtj4.jpg

Nordic Games Publishing today announced We Sing, the first singing game to make use of four microphones, allowing four players to sing at the same time. We Sing will be heading exclusively to the Wii this festive season.

We Sing will include 30 popular songs and videos from artists including Lady Gaga and Coldplay. The publisher has made agreements with leading record companies (including EMI, Warner and Universal Music) to guarantee a selection of both modern and back catalogue songs from top artists.

Players will be able to sing together as a group or competitively in the Solo and various Party Modes included in the game. The game will be officially unveiled at GamesCom in Cologne next week so stay tuned for more details.

So far, these are the songs we know will be on the tracklist:

* Lady Gaga – Poker Face
* Coldplay – Viva La Vida
* Lily Allen – The Fear
* Tom Jones – Delilah
* Kylie Minogue – Loco-Motion

Pelle Lundborg, Publishing Director of Nordic Games, believes that “the use of four microphones adds a new perspective.” “Singing games are enjoyed the most when played in groups, and this has been a major focus of development since day one.” He believes We Sing will deliver a “genuine AAA artist line up” with a “music set that has “something for everyone.”

Lundborg continued “SingStar is the benchmark for this genre and the level of thought that they have applied to their games is astounding. It would be a compliment to be compared to them, but in reality this is the beginning of the We Sing journey, and the product will continue to develop over time.”
- http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2009/8/13/we_sing_coming_to_wii/

That's an... interesting choice of major labels they mentioned.

lupinko

Tntnnbltn said:
Spanish press release for SingStar Motown:

I believe this is the first time Motown has been explicitly mentioned as a PAL exclusive. No US release confirmed.

Boxart: (click image for large version)

Day 1 for me!!! :D

birdman

How does the rap system in this game work? I seem to fuck it up all the time even when I know the song (It's Tricky) almost all by heart.

Tntnnbltn

birdman said:
How does the rap system in this game work?
It doesn't.

My biggest gripe with the rap system (other than it's inconsistant and you can't get a good score even if you know the song off by heart) is that it offers no feedback. It says 'Awful', but I have no idea if that means I should have said it earlier? Later?

It's basically equivalent of singing without the note/pitch bars being displayed. They really need to redesign the rap GUI.

Vamlock

Yeah, it really doesn't. It's one of the few things I don't like about things I don't like about Singstar (this and not being able to create a playlist so we only get songs we like in Pass the Mic). The only song I can ever get good points rapping in is Ice, Ice Baby (almost 8000 on medium). All the other songs don't seem to agree with my rappin' skills.

This is one thing where Lips has the edge (if I remember correctly). I think that works where you have to "hit" the word at the correct time with the correct pitch (I think), similar to a DDR or Donkey Konga style. If they could implement that or at least give some sort of tangible visual feedback in Singstar so I can figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong, that'd be fantastic.

MCD

How often does the US SingStore get updated? On a monthly basis?

I got Singstar Vol. 2 and enjoying it so far with the available DLC. I want more Britney and Evanescence. It's also strange that there's no sign of Backstreet Boys songs. And I want Viva La Vida :(

Edit: Oh shit using a friend's PC :lol my username is Echoes.

Tntnnbltn

UK SingStore Update, 20th August, 2009

English:
  • Amy Winehouse – "Rehab"
  • Aqua – "Barbie Girl"
  • The Automatic – "Monster"
  • Boyz II Men – "I’ll Make Love To You"
  • The Coral – "Bill McCai"
  • Empire Of The Sun – "We Are The People"
  • Gwen Stefani – "What You Waiting For?"
  • The Hives – "Walk Idiot Walk"
  • The Killers – "Mr. Brightside"
  • Lady Gaga feat Colby O’Donis – "Just Dance"
  • Newton Faulkner – "All I Got"
  • The Pussycat Dolls – "Don’t Cha"
  • Queens of the Stone Age – "Go With The Flow"
  • Ronan Keating featuring Yusuf – "Father And Son"
  • Scissor Sisters – "Take Your Mama"
  • The Stanley Brothers with The Clinch Mountain Boys – "I’m A Man Of Constant Sorrow"
  • Sugababes – "Too Lost In You"
  • Superbus – "Butterfly"
  • Texas – "Say What You Want"
  • Timbaland feat. One Republic – "Apologize"
  • Tom Jones – "It’s Not Unusual"
  • Travis – "Something Anything"
  • Wet Wet Wet – "Love Is All Around"
  • Wings – "Let ‘Em In"

Ultimate Queen 4 song pack:
  • Queen - "Save Me"
  • Queen - "I Want To Break Free"
  • Queen - "Hammer To Fall"
  • Queen - "Play The Game"
  • Queen - "It’s A Hard Life"

French:
  • Superbus – "Radio Song"

German:
  • Büne Huber – "Juanita la luna"

Portuguese:
  • Just Girls – "Passa O Vento"

Spanish
  • El Arrebato – "Dame Cariño"
  • Heroes Del Silencio – "La Chispa Adecuada"
  • Los Delinquentes – "La Primavera Trompetera"

Swedish:
  • Tommy Nilsson – "En Dag"

MadFuzzy

Quite a UMG-heavy update that, which will mean slim-pickings for the US this week.

Also, hurrah for I Want To Break Free but shame it's not packed in with Under Pressure...

lupinko

Yeah, I'm a little cheesed that no Under Pressure, but it's going to be much more sweeter when Under Pressure is bundled with Princes of the Universe come I believe October. :D :D :D

MadFuzzy said:
Quite a UMG-heavy update that, which will mean slim-pickings for the US this week.

Also, hurrah for I Want To Break Free but shame it's not packed in with Under Pressure...

Does the US not get UMG songs? Why don't we seem to get the good stuff.

MadFuzzy

darkjedi187 said:
Does the US not get UMG songs? Why don't we seem to get the good stuff.

At the moment the UMG Singstore licensing agreement only covers PAL territories. It's been hinted at that there will be an equivilent one for the US/Canada at some point but no-one seems to know when yet.

MadFuzzy said:
At the moment the UMG Singstore licensing agreement only covers PAL territories. It's been hinted at that there will be an equivilent one for the US/Canada at some point but no-one seems to know when yet.

Ah nuts. That really sucks for us. oh well.

The Killers &#8211; "Mr. Brightside"
Ronan Keating featuring Yusuf &#8211; "Father And Son"
Queen - "Save Me"
Queen - "I Want To Break Free"
Queen - "Hammer To Fall"
Queen - "Play The Game"
Queen - "It&#8217;s A Hard Life"
Tommy Nilsson &#8211; "En Dag"

Expensive update this time. Luckily I'll have a friend over who doesn't care for karaoke so I can put it off until next week when I get paid again.

Top Bottom