• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 announced..weather, night racing all tracks, HD Youtube uploads, etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

2real4tv

cassiusclay99 said:
2real4tv-> Very interesting link tx. But the tearing I have is much more obvious. And it's worse with the cockpit view.

Try yourself: Eiger (very slow corners in the beginning: obvious and systematic tearing)
London: first corner, a chicane around the first third of the track, and the last chicane are where the teariong is the more violent

BUT, I have to say there is tearing on every track, when too many cars are on screen.

I don't want to ruin your experience though. If you don't see it, then you're just more lucky than me! ;-)

Then something is wrong with your ps3 because the tearing is not that bad if you want to see bad tear see COJ.

AndyD

aka andydumi
stuburns said:
Yeah, someone should. There's no reason they shouldn't. Journalists aren't there to be polite, "yo, u got screentear all up in yo game, u gonna fix dat shit?", something along those lines.

Personally I'd go, "you seem to have put focus on image quality over performance, how do you justify this?".

Thats not accurate though.

I think 60fps at 1080p is fantastic performance. Tearing needs to be mentioned if anyone asks. Although in my opinion they have made so many improvements in the prologue updates that it is inevitable that the final game will improve even more, and be near perfect, since Spec 3 is nearly there.

I suspect no one will ask though. Its not a bullet point that attracts readers/viewers, not like 1080p and 60fps are.

StuBurns

Banned
AndyD said:

I think 60fps at 1080p is fantastic performance. Tearing needs to be mentioned if anyone asks. Although in my opinion they have made so many improvements in the prologue updates that it is inevitable that the final game will improve even more, and be near perfect, since Spec 3 is nearly there.

I suspect no one will ask though. Its not a bullet point that attracts readers/viewers, not like 1080p and 60fps are.
1080p is the image quality, with AA too. And yet it's not locked at 60 and there's screen tear. It's pretty strange to me that they would decide to do this.

offshore

I think the tearing is only going to get worse, not better in GT5, if Kaz wants to add weather and damage.

Prologue labours with 16 cars just going around a track...there's no logical reason why tearing or slowdown would improve with the extra stuff Kaz has talked about putting in.

spwolf

stuburns said:
1080p is the image quality, with AA too. And yet it's not locked at 60 and there's screen tear. It's pretty strange to me that they would decide to do this.

or 720p. We will see when GT5 comes out anyway.

spwolf

offshore said:
I think the tearing is only going to get worse, not better in GT5, if Kaz wants to add weather and damage.

Prologue labours with 16 cars just going around a track...there's no logical reason why tearing or slowdown would improve with the extra stuff Kaz has talked about putting in.

i know, just sucks man. They even improved track details in that GC demo, they are totally crazy like that.

offshore said:

The press release that PD flashed briefly during GamesCom didn´t mention weather and I don´t think it mentioned numbers of cars on track either. The number of cars on track may vary depending on type type of race and they may not have settled on the final NASCAR number yet, that could be the reason why they didn´t mention it specifically.

-Amon-

offshore said:

A good idea would be to use the trick studio liverpool used for wipeout hd. Fixed framerate with scalable resolution on the fly.

Y2Kev said:
And Spec III is almost perfect.

No it isn't. It's not as bad as in 'previous'versions' but it's still there. I really hope they fix that. The GC demo of GT5 also had tearing problems. I played the demo.

I hope the game is going to be released in 2009. The coming months will be sick for racing game fans.

I could live with less graphical details if that means no tearing and locked 60 fps.

Fortinbras said:
No it isn't. It's not as bad as in 'previous'versions' but it's still there. I really hope they fix that. The GC demo of GT5 also had tearing problems. I played the demo.

I hope the game is going to be released in 2009. The coming months will be sick for racing game fans.

I could live with less graphical details if that means no tearing and locked 60 fps.

Same position here. GT5 does not need to be more beautiful than GT5P: it s already amazing looking. But it needs to be perfectly smooth.

Framerates drops ruin all the efforts put in realism in my opinion: nothing better to remind you that you are only playing a video game.

BeeDog

SolidSnakex said:
I didn't give a shit about damage to begin with. So it doesn't bother me one way or the other.

Me neither to be honest, but I'm very curious on how they'll solve the problem if only a certain number of cars have visible damage, and the rest won't. I hope (and expect!) all cars to have internal damage AND at the very least cosmetic damage for the sake of fairness.

I'm much more interested in whether or not there will be any day/night cycles or weather. I know it wasn't included on that list that was posted on the site, but like any game, I don't think that they'd confirm everything that's in the game right when they initially do a news blowout.

offshore

Kaz said they're working on weather changes...so it'd be surprising, and pretty disappointing, if it wasn't in.

Nurburgring in heavy rain would be a win.

alba

Little is the new Big
Fortinbras said:

I played the gc demos for at least 50+ times and I never noticed the "tearing problems" guess I must be blind :(

Either way it'll be this year so, I can't wait :D:D

Hanmik

I just picked up a copy of Gran Turismo (the original PS1 game) at a garage sale.. 25 danish kroner was the price (approx. 4$). I popped it into my PS3 and relived the Fantastic intro. Damn that was good graphics for 1997-98. That was an amazing intro. Then I decided to get a licens in the game.. oh my good .. where did those blocky graphics come from?? that did not look like I remembered it.. not at all.. But the game itself is great. Loved playing it again. But just for the fun of it I launched GT5P, after my little session with Gran Turismo had ended. And WAUW, suddenly this game looked much better. It´s totally amazing how much the game has evolved during the last decade. But unfortunatly that´s mostly in the graphics part of the game. The core mechanics, the AI and so on, all look to have changed 0,06% since 1997. But nevertheless I enjoyed playing both games again. I really look forward to play GT5..!

SolidSnakex said:
I'm much more interested in whether or not there will be any day/night cycles or weather. I know it wasn't included on that list that was posted on the site, but like any game, I don't think that they'd confirm everything that's in the game right when they initially do a news blowout.
This is true, we can compare to the information we received about the GT PSP. We recently got to know that it will have cock-pit view, that is certainly a feature that would have been a pretty big announcement at E3, but they choose to save it for later use.

BeeDog

Aside from that quote (where he said they were researching weather, isn't it ancient btw?) has there been ANY hints at all to whether or not the game will have weather and/or changing-time-of-day? Right now it feels that anyone expecting either are setting themselves up for heavy disappointment (since I can't recall a 60 fps console racing game with weather so far, and at ~1080p to boot).

Weather seemed to be the main thing that Kaz wanted in GT5 (as far as new features go). He's never been interested in damage in the series, that being in GT5 is entirely for fans since that's been the most requested for a long time.

alba

Little is the new Big
It was said in one interview ky did but it's not ancient. Either way, we'll know everything in a month.

Where was it confirmed that Prologue has framerate drops? Digital Foundry did a test on London and even there the framerate was pretty much always 60. Only dropped to around 58 on a couple of occasions, which I don't think anyone can even notice.

Just try yourself: London and Eiger in cockpit view try the F40 for instance).

I can assume everybody doesn't notice it... but there is tearing. Fact.

evolution

cassiusclay99 said:

Wow have you read the thread? We all know their is tearing in places. It bothers some people more than others, but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Its definitely not as bad as uncharted.

evolution-> I don't understand your post. What makes you think i did not read the thread?

I was answering to H-prestige. Maybe you quoted the wrong person, didn't you?

And I totally agree with you on uncharted: one the most beautiful game in the world... buit that tearing was almost unbearable to me.

cassiusclay99 said:

I didn't say there wasn't tearing. Is that same as framerate drops?

Niks

SolidSnakex said:
Weather seemed to be the main thing that Kaz wanted in GT5 (as far as new features go). He's never been interested in damage in the series, that being in GT5 is entirely for fans since that's been the most requested for a long time.

To be honest Im a bit skeptical about weather... Could have been that Kaz shifted priorities to include "fan favorite" damage instead of weather...?

It would be a shame if that is the case..

phil_t

Banned
AndyD said:

I personally think the 1080p is the Sony marketing influence..

I love GT5, my only gripe is some aspects of the graphics are a little lacking, and you can't help feel if they stuck with 720p they may have had some more resource to play with..

The minor niggles are things like
- the rear view mirror is quite low-rent at times, some objects don't appear, tyre smoke etc is missing..
- of course the weird shadows (very notable from the trees on the GT5 demo).
- Rolling starts most of the time (unless this isn't to stop too many cars being in close proximity)
- Different cars per track

Of course, that's very much nit-picking, but there is always room for improvement in all games..

Just deciding whether to get a new Fanatec wheel for GT5.. (Soo tempted, but a little 'rich' for my bank balance)..

phil_t said:
I personally think the 1080p is the Sony marketing influence..

I love GT5, my only gripe is some aspects of the graphics are a little lacking, and you can't help feel if they stuck with 720p they may have had some more resource to play with..

The minor niggles are things like
- the rear view mirror is quite low-rent at times, some objects don't appear, tyre smoke etc is missing..
- of course the weird shadows (very notable from the trees on the GT5 demo).
- Rolling starts most of the time (unless this isn't to stop too many cars being in close proximity)
- Different cars per track

Of course, that's very much nit-picking, but there is always room for improvement in all games..

Just deciding whether to get a new Fanatec wheel for GT5.. (Soo tempted, but a little 'rich' for my bank balance)..

I hate rolling starts... But I never thought it could be to avoid having too many cars on screen. Sounds like a good explanation to me though.

In the little niggles, i would add the lack of rear light, and the fact that you drive with the handbrake on.

inner-G

Banned
(I hope this site isn't banned, let me know if it is and I'll remove the link)

Apparently Yamauchi was interviewed by a Japanese blog and confirmed a list of rumors that had leaked out. The list include:1080p 60fps, 1000 cars, youtube support, and even head -tracking.

He also said it would release after GT PSP but not too far, and probably will be simultaneous worldwide.

what I read: http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/31/yam...aneous-worldwide-launch-game-to-run-at-1080p/
Video Interview: http://multiplayer.it/video/gran-tu...vista-a-kazunori-yamauchi.hi/?piattaforma=ps3
List of Rumors: http://www.vg247.com/2009/08/18/new-gran-turismo-5-info-and-screens-appear-on-official-website/

Goldrusher

cassiusclay99 said:
I hate rolling starts... But I never thought it could be to avoid having too many cars on screen. Sounds like a good explanation to me though.
The PSP game has "standing starts"...

125p8as.jpg

raawex.jpg

So who knows...

edit: Or maybe - probably, look at the prize money - it's one of those driving missions where you have to overtake cars that started earlier.

roxya

Hanmik said:
The core mechanics, the AI and so on, all look to have changed 0,06% since 1997. But nevertheless I enjoyed playing both games again. I really look forward to play GT5..!

You're saying the AI and physics of GT5P seem basically the same as GT1? :lol wow

phil_t

Banned
The more I think about it, the more confusing the rolling starts are..

I only mentioned the graphics aspect, because I know on certain tracks people have complained of slow down if too many cars are in close proximity, but then some tracks have more/less cars, and sometimes you have standing starts..

I'll wait for GT5, but it is quite odd, as rolling starts only applies to a very very small amount of race series.

so, all the hype make me go and get GT5P for cheap. I'm still new to the series, but this gif of me crashing really make me want to see what the GT5 version will look like
2r6o8ip.jpg

Callibretto said:
so, all the hype make me go and get GT5P for cheap. I'm still new to the series, but this gif of me crashing really make me want to see what the GT5 version will look like

*removed old gif*

Ewww... go go physics. :lol

[Edit - Also, that gif doesn't seem to repeat, which may or may not be intentional. Looked like it was broken when I first saw it.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom