• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

Whoever is at PAX right now, pics of all the shirts would be aweosme. Also, if someone buys me a shirt I'll pay in full plus a little extra. Just saying. (size large if it runs small, medium if it runs big)

The new ODST short was freaking awesome. Not really sure what the Hungarian dialogue was for, but it was cool. The 21 gun salute with ARs? WTF? I guess they couldn't use a BR because it's not in the game... but seriously? Also, seeing an ODST with a silenced SMG makes me cringe. Removes the badass factor.

wasn't he using the pistol to shoot the brute? or am i mixing up my sounds. /pointless nitpicking

what an awesome short. totally gets me hyped for the atmosphere. please come close to that atmosphere ODST and i'll walk away very happy.

Magni

Thanks for the help DJ, but sharing connections (be it RJ45 or wireless) hasn't worked. The setting that worked for one session (and with strict NAT of course) was bridging the ethernet and wifi connections together, but of course it no longer works.

Oh well, I'll be able to clear out my backlog and enjoy ODST's singleplayer. Of, and college means LANs are probably gonna be much easier to organise, MLG Heretic, here I come! :D

Update was nice, haven't attempted to dl the podcast yet. Were there any huge nuggets?

Son of Godzilla said:
So
8 levels, plus the overworld?
Didn't Halo 3 only have like 9?
8 flashbacks + city = nine levels. Same as Halo 3.

Stormtrooper30 said:
The new ODST short was freaking awesome. Not really sure what the Hungarian dialogue was for, but it was cool. The 21 gun salute with ARs? WTF? I guess they couldn't use a BR because it's not in the game... but seriously? Also, seeing an ODST with a silenced SMG makes me cringe. Removes the badass factor.
It's a commercial for a videogame.

Plus, like it or not, the AR is THE weapon associated with the Halo franchise.

Dax01 said:
8 flashbacks + city = nine levels. Same as Halo 3.

It's a commercial for a videogame.

Plus, like it or not, the AR is THE weapon associated with the Halo franchise.

The original AR ;)

xxjuicesxx said:
Apparently noone read my spoiler about the ODST's and the BR...

That's why they use AR's its a girlier weapon.

Come on Juices you know we don't want to spoil everything about the game.

SpudBud said:
I kinda want a movie just based on ODST's now..
vhfive said:
same with brief viewings of spartans

also how badass are the ODSTs' visors ?
so fucking badass
This, this, a thousand times this. A brief cameo of Chief talking to Cortana would make me cream my pants.

GhaleonEB said:
Firefight is gud.

Hunters chased me for two minutes straight. I fear them.

*goes to catch up on thread*
Firefight is indeed gud. What horde mode?

Dax01 said:
Need more details please. How'd you like the new pistol and SMG?
I threw out the SMG almost immediately and went for a plasma pistol. Combos feel soo good when your using the new pistol, which is now my favoritist Halo weapon ever. I got to play twice today (thanks again urk for hooking us up), and it was great.

Initial Impressions: (Only played Crater(Night) on Heroic.)

-Having no radar didn't bother me in the least. I'm used to playing H3 Campaign with no radar, and the Firefight comes across as very Campaign-y to me (that's a good thing).
-The VISR is absolutely essential at night if you want to find any weapons fast. UNSC weapons were actually difficult for me to find at first because I was busy trying to learn the map. The second time around was much easier.
rockets are you best friend here
-All of the people who are pissed that the BR is gone can take some solace in the fact that the Carbine is still plentiful.
-The pistol rules, I can't say much about the SMG. Short controlled bursts is how you have to use it (imagine that), because it still will drift upward. Pistol has quite a recoil to it too.
-It looks great. It made me super excited to see/play through the campaign, as I know it'll look even better.
-This is a great game to be playing with close friends (IRL or XBL). The point system is addictive as hell, and even though you want/need to work as a team, you'll most certainly want to steal your buddies kills on many occasions. I can't really imagine it being nearly as fun playing this in MM with a group of kill-stealing strangers.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably have more to say as I collect my jaw after watching that trailer. After playing today, I'm not ashamed to admit that the trailer got me a little choked up. Great job, guys. You had me at Halo.

Blueblur1

The Bungie panel has started.

4545454.jpg

8989898.jpg

26565689.jpg

2656565.jpg

HaloWaypoint #HaloPAX over three hours of music in odst

HaloWaypoint #HaloPAX playing a music preview now

HaloWaypoint #HaloPAX art dept was reluctant to revisit new mombasa, but ultimately found inspiration in film noir

HaloWaypoint #HaloPAX considered other characters before odst, including arbiter

Relevant Twitter feeds
HaloWaypoint
bungietweets
Vic DeLeon
Marty The Elder

squidhands said:
This, this, a thousand times this. A brief cameo of Chief talking to Cortana would make me cream my pants.

Firefight is indeed gud. What horde mode?

I threw out the SMG almost immediately and went for a plasma pistol. Combos feel soo good when your using the new pistol, which is now my favoritist Halo weapon ever. I got to play twice today (thanks again urk for hooking us up), and it was great.

-Having no radar didn't bother me in the least. I'm used to playing H3 Campaign with no radar, and the Firefight comes across as very Campaign-y to me (that's a good thing).
-The VISR is absolutely essential at night if you want to find any weapons fast. UNSC weapons were actually difficult for me to find at first because I was busy trying to learn the map. The second time around was much easier.
-All of the people who are pissed that the BR is gone can take some solace in the fact that the Carbine is still plentiful.
-The pistol rules, I can't say much about the SMG. Short controlled bursts is how you have to use it (imagine that), because it still will drift upward. Pistol has quite a recoil to it too.
-It looks great. It made me super excited to see/play through the campaign, as I know it'll look even better.
-This is a great game to be playing with close friends (IRL or XBL). The point system is addictive as hell, and even though you want/need to work as a team, you'll most certainly want to steal your buddies kills on many occasions. I can't really imagine it being nearly as fun playing this in MM with a group of kill-stealing strangers.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. I'll probably have more to say as I collect my jaw after watching that trailer. After playing today, I'm not ashamed to admit that the trailer got me a little choked up. Great job, guys. You had me at Halo.

This post needs more hyperbole and over excitement.

big ander

xxjuicesxx said:
Apparently noone read my spoiler about the ODST's and the BR...

That's why they use AR's its a girlier weapon.
I read it.

Alright here goes a rant...
In Social Big Team, there should be instructions for everyone before they get in a vehicle, so new players know what to do. Like this.
Prowler: Yeah, I know, looks like a Chopper right? Well it can splatter okay, but it's not a chopper. You need a gunner. See, now you're still driving away. Stop. That guy's trying to get in.
Nerfed Hornet: You know that Hornet on Sandtrap that's awesome? Well this is it without the overpowered missiles. So it's really only for transport...what? No one will get on? Hmm. Well, try and use it anywa-what? You got lasered?
Warthog: You mean a badass Jeep can't kill a tank with no gunner? But it makes so much sense to drive away without one!
Wraith: While it's slow and a huge target, if there's enough lag the opposing team won't be able to tell where the plasma is coming from, and you'll get kills.

And now I'm stuck at the respawn screen and the game says everyone on my team is dead...it's not a good night.

squidhands said:

Sweet impressions, thanks.

Blueblur1

Oozer3993 said:
HaloWaypoint: #HaloPAX showing off versions of the police pelican

Say what now?
It was in the Desperate Measures trailer at the end. Right before the start of
the NMPD HQ level

zumphry

Banned
Blueblur1 said:
According to Anelf3, our very own Duardo is in this pic.

See Staten's knuckles? Duardo(Drew) is in the Bungie.net shirt above the knuckles. Don't know how many other Bungie.net toddlers are in that picture.

Blueblur1

Those were all the interesting pics that I found that I felt were worth posting. Hopefully they'll follow through and provide video of the panel via Youtube. I wish I could have gone but at the same time I'm glad I decided to go to PAX East instead. Especially now that a couple buddies of mine are gonna go with me.

Blueblur1 said:
Those were all the interesting pics that I found that I felt were worth posting. Hopefully they'll follow through and provide video of the panel via Youtube. I wish I could have gone but at the same time I'm glad I decided to go to PAX East instead. Especially now that a couple buddies of mine are gonna go with me.

Oh, I thought they were yours lol.

I guess it doesn't really make sense because some of them are taken from the panel lol

But still, I wish I could have gone. I've never been to a convention or something like that. Hopefully next year.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
For some reason, reading the achievements made me even more hyped for ODST. Looks like it should add to the replay value.

I wonder if the audio logs are all in the hub world or in both the hub world and flashback missions.

zumphry

Banned
user_nat said:
For some reason, reading the achievements made me ever more hyped for ODST. Looks like it should add to the replay value.

I wonder if the audio logs are all in the hub world or in both the hub world and flashback missions.

Wouldn't be surprised if there were a few in any
ONI Alpha Site
levels.

user_nat said:
I've been wondering this as well.

Grimm Fandango said:
Are there any spoilers in the achievement list? Hopefully they're labled as secret ones.
No. Just the name of the levels and how many levels.

Ten-Song

Grimm Fandango said:
Are there any spoilers in the achievement list? Hopefully they're labled as secret ones.

No secret achievements (I'm not fond of those anyways) and I don't think it spoils anything aside from what the missions are named. The list doesn't even tell you which fire fight characters you unlock in them, it just says "beat this mission and unlock a new firefight character."

Blueblur1 said:
This is very nice. I'm digging the side panel that shows what images are going through their minds.
This makes it seem like the Covenant ship was perched over New Mombassa longer than I thought. This video makes it seem like a couple of days -- I thought it was only a couple of hours.

Blueblur1 said:
I wonder what the codes are to see the rest of the evaluations? :p
Typing in all 7s certainly doesn't work.

Blueblur1

Here's the official press release for the live-action short.

Friday, September 04, 2009 1:00 PM Gamerscore News
Step Into the World of an ODST with the “Halo 3: ODST” Live-Action Short, Debuting this Labor Day Weekend as Fans Everywhere Prepare for the Launch of “Halo 3: ODST” on September 22

Today, Microsoft unveils a “Halo 3: ODST” live-action short, a 90 second ad spot for the eagerly awaited Xbox 360 exclusive, “Halo 3: ODST.” The ad debuts today exclusively on MySpace at www.myspace.com/gametrailers and IGN.com. The “Halo 3: ODST” live-action short is a haunting, action-packed production that charts the life of a UNSC Orbital Drop Shock Trooper, or ODST.

In addition to the online debut of the 90 second short, Halo fans in the United States will be treated to a special, extended two minute 30 second version exclusively on Spike TV on Monday September 7. The extended version will premiere during “Band of Brothers” at 10:30 PM ET/PT.

The short will also be available to download on Xbox LIVE starting September 8.

For the production of the “Halo 3: ODST” live-action short, Microsoft and Bungie partnered with ad agency TAG SF, Legacy Effects (props), Asylum (visual effects) and Final Cut (editing). The short features an original musical score written and produced by Human. The short was directed by Rupert Sanders with MJZ, the director of the award-winning “Halo 3” ad spot “Believe.” The short was filmed on location in Budapest, Hungary.

Also launching today at 6:00 p.m. PT is a unique “Halo 3: ODST” interactive experience site on www.xbox.com/halo. Visitors will be in control of an Operations of Naval Intelligence (ONI) application that blends science, psychology and analysis to evaluate which ODST candidates are best suited for upcoming missions in “Halo 3: ODST.” Featuring over 20 minutes of interactive content, visitors can interact with the evaluations of the four ODST squad members they will be fighting alongside in “Halo 3: ODST” in order to dive deeper into the fiction of the game. Microsoft and Bungie worked with AKQA SF and TAG SF on the experience site.

Suit up and prepare to drop September 22 when “Halo 3: ODST” hits retail stores worldwide.

For the latest updates on “Halo 3: ODST” follow the Halo Waypoint Twitter @HaloWaypoint or visit the Halo Waypoint Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/HaloWaypoint.

# # #

zumphry

Banned
Jtwo said:

Well, it's probably just the one level Bungie showed off at E3(
and if you enter it somehow as the Rookie
), if you've seen it. Didn't Joe Staten say that you would
enter the building to try to defend it
, or something along those lines?

Oozer3993

Blueblur1 said:
It was in the Desperate Measures trailer at the end. Right before the start of
the NMPD HQ level

I watched that Vidoc on my iPod so I'm going to blame my mistake on its small screen lol.

urk said:
This was actually the live response:

2656565.jpg

I thought it might be. :lol :lol

P.S. I see the PR train has left the station. At 400 MPH. I love it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
ZayneH said:
Well, it's probably just the one level Bungie showed off at E3(
and if you enter it somehow as the Rookie
), if you've seen it. Didn't Joe Staten say that you would
enter the building to try to defend it
, or something along those lines?
I have no idea, that's the first I've heard of it.. been trying to keep a distance from in depth coverage.
That seems like it could be so cool, though.

zumphry

Banned
Oozer3993 said:
P.S. I see the PR train has left the station. At 400 MPH. I love it.

In flames, with ninjas chasing after it? :D

Jtwo said:
I have no idea, that's the first I've heard of it.. been trying to keep a distance from in depth coverage.
That seems like it could be so cool, though.

Hopefully that isn't too spoilery, since it was the level that Bungie showed off at E3.

Top Bottom