• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

Trasher

Wow. If I wanted my ODST soldiers to stay alive I would send them into battle with BRs not SMGs. But then again I guess we wouldn't be seeing this trailer of this dude's funeral.

OuterWorldVoice said:
2n1u803.jpg

o_O My written Welsh is better than my spoken Welsh, and that still makes my eyes hurt

Really enjoyed the ad. Any word on who directed it?

Some of the scenes, you could see the CGI was a bit poor, but the concept was absolutely stunning.

Interesting how they were speaking Russian/Welsh... I thought the primary language of the UNSC had become English? You would think with a universal command structure that they would be training the troops in the primary language (english)... Kind of an initial hole for me.

This is the second live-action ad. And the second time a banshee was shot out of the air by a soldier on the ground with no aim-assist. (first time was a spike grenade, slightly unbelievable, given the throw of the soldier, second time... with a pistol?)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wow. That was amazing. Perfect solution: Make a movie out of the Ark level, only make all the ODSTs survive.

That was considerably better than I imagined.

FFChris

Major Williams said:
This is the second live-action ad. And the second time a banshee was shot out of the air by a soldier on the ground with no aim-assist. (first time was a spike grenade, slightly unbelievable, given the throw of the soldier, second time... with a pistol?)

I don't think the pistol was what knocked that banshee out of the air.

Trasher

Major Williams said:
The soldier on the ground didn't shoot it out of the air... If you watch the video again it looks like the banshee is taken out by a missile or rocket. I also believe he is using his silenced SMG.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Major Williams said:
...with a pistol?)

Probably the only time the M6CS will act like the M6D :lol

Originally when I watched it, I thought the ODST was firing off shots in order to stall the brute until the Banshee clobbered it. But after watching it a couple times, you do get the sense that he's firing the shots to shoot down the Banshee in order to take the Brute out. I mean, if he's just stalling the Brute and gets lucky that the Banshee wreckage takes him out...it wouldn't exactly be the first time in Halo that luck plays a major part.

Good video, and watching the Visor effects on in real time (as compared to the "desperate measures" VIDOC) was pretty badass.

~B.B.

*edit* seems like my initial reaction was shared by others. Now I have to go watch it again to see which reaction is right! :lol

Yeah, but luck had everything to do with Master Chief, not some random ODST, kind of seems hokey to me.

I still think the language thing is kind of an odd choice for the training instructor to use. Anyone else see this as a hole? It could kind of be...

Damn, that was awesome, kudos to whoever made it.

Were those the WETA made ODST armor modified to look more like in-game armor, or are they completely new?

Trasher

Major Williams said:
Yeah, but luck had everything to do with Master Chief, not some random ODST, kind of seems hokey to me.
I will repeat myself: He does not shoot down the banshee with his weapon... There is an obvious smoke trail from some sort of missile or rocket that collides into the banshee.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Major Williams said:

I still think the language thing is kind of an odd choice for the training instructor to use. Anyone else see this as a hole? It could kind of be...

The differences between luck and fate has always been a Bungie theme. Even as far back as the Security Officer, Durandal, and playing the time-warp again in Infinity.

And he does shoot at the Brute with his SMG. It's hard to tell, since it doesn't show his entire weapon, but when he's on his back in the mud, you can see the M7S stock for a brief second. And it does look like their is a rocket trail leading towards the Banshee, so it seems something else shoots it down, and it takes out the Brute by luck.

~B.B.

Major Williams said:

It doesn't really bother me. But I am curious as to why they chose Welsh as the language used...

Trasher

BerserkerBarage said:
The differences between luck and fate has always been a Bungie theme. Even as far back as the Security Officer, Durandal, and playing the time-warp again in Infinity.

And he does shoot at the Brute with his SMG. It's hard to tell, since it doesn't show his entire weapon, but when he's on his back in the mud, you can see the M7S stock for a brief second. And it does look like their is a rocket trail leading towards the Banshee, so it seems something else shoots it down, and it takes out the Brute by luck.

~B.B.
I also think we are lead to believe that the banshee kills both the brute and the ODST marine that the video follows.

FooFighter said:
I was wondering; what kills the guy in the mud? If he died at all. Was it the Brute landing on him?
I'm guessing the banshee kills both of them because the brute is right on top of the marine so it would make sense if they both died. It should be obvious because the video starts with this guy's funeral.

I understand the United Nations are multicultural and all for tolerance, so I can understand the Welsh song. However, the use of another language being given by a commanding officer is a flaw inherent to the ad. It should not matter where the soldier is from to give them commands in their own language in an international armed forces battalion. The primary language should be used, taught and enforced (english). It is the soldier's choice to use his native language on his own time.

They don't speak spanish to 1st generation Mexicans who join the US Military.

vhfive

Major Williams said:

OMGZZZZZ 90 SEC TRAILER DOESNT LIVE UP TO HALO LORE MICRO$OFT AND BUNGLE WHAT ARE YOU DOING. FFFUUUCCCCKK

its a trailer bro its there for cinematic reasons. (it wouldn't be as cool in english)

desertdroog

Trasher said:
I also think we are lead to believe that the banshee kills both the brute and the ODST marine that the video follows.

I'm guessing the banshee kills both of them because the brute is right on top of the marine so it would make sense if they both died. It should be obvious because the video starts with this guy's funeral.

I don't know. Look at the scars the guy gets from the Brutes spiker gun when he knocks off his helmet. He also has a yellow chest plate. Then look at the guy standing in the night scene right after that, has the same scars and yellow chest plate.

I interpret the video as the youth who visits a families funeral, who was ODST, then enlists, and then goes into battle, facing the enemy and finally giving respect to a fallen comrade after the battle, fin...

Major Williams said:
I understand the United Nations are multicultural and all for tolerance, so I can understand the Welsh song. However, the use of another language being given by a commanding officer is a flaw inherent to the ad. It should not matter where the soldier is from to give them commands in their own language in an international armed forces battalion. The primary language should be used, taught and enforced (english). It is the soldier's choice to use his native language on his own time.

I think it's bothering you a little too much. :lol

REV 09

desertdroog said:
I don't know. Look at the scars the guy gets from the Brutes spiker gun when he knocks off his helmet. He also has a yellow chest plate. Then look at the guy standing in the night scene right after that, has the same scars and yellow chest plate.

I interpret the video as the youth who visits a families funeral, who was ODST, then enlists, and then goes into battle, facing the enemy and finally giving respect to a fallen comrade after the battle, fin...
this is how i interpreted it.

Major Williams said:

You're overdoing it.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
Trasher said:

Nope. The casket at the beginning is for Staff Sergent K. Stark (I wonder if he knows Tony). The ODST shown later is named Tarkov. Tarkov is the same ODST that fights the Brute later on and it looks like he survives the attack. I'm guess (since you can't see his name on his armor later) that Tarkov is the older ODST with the scar on his chin when it fast-forwards to (presumably) New Mombasa.

From how I see it. The funeral of the ODST in the beginning (SSGT Stark) is what gets Tarkov involved in the UNSC (he's the kid that winces at the shots ringing out). He joins up, they show him in Basic, and then shows his first drop mission where he almost gets pwned by a Brute. He survives by a luck banshee crash, but earns a nice scar on his chin/face as payment. You see him later on in New Mombasa during the raid grown up leading his squad of ODSTs.

cut to title.

~B.B.

*edit* or I can just wait until Cocop and Voc tell me what's really happening. :lol

Talon

desertdroog said:
Yeah, thought this was fairly obvious. The parallel between him being at the funeral and him serving over a hasty funeral at the end with the other youth and his hardened, older self verify this.

desertdroog

Ladies and Gentlemen:

BezerkerBarage either having better eyesight than me (probably) and able to dissect the awesomeness of that video (most likely) in order to bring the details of what we all saw.

:D Kudos!

t4ng0

Trasher said:

Watch it again - they show the guy's face after the banshee crashes. They are showing the same ODST the whole trailer - his dad/relative was probably killed > he joins > dongs on brute after getting face scarred > etc.

Trasher

vhfive said:
OMGZZZZZ 90 SEC TRAILER DOESNT LIVE UP TO HALO LORE MICRO$OFT AND BUNGLE WHAT ARE YOU DOING. FFFUUUCCCCKK

its a trailer bro its there for cinematic reasons. (it wouldn't be as cool in english)
Exactly. If we wanted to argue every point of how unreal the video was then we would have to point out the most obvious oversight: Why would you send soldiers into a wide open firefight with SMGs? Short-ranged weapons in that scenario would be suicidal. But since the silenced SMG is the main weapon that is focused on in ODST they are going to put that out there instead of the BR which would make the most strategical sense to use in this sort of firefight.

there's always a way to argue about BRs :)

And speaking of BRs...why were the soldiers in the beginning of that trailer in the honor guard using ARs for the gun salute? You would never use an automatic weapon for that sort of thing. Perfect job for the BR.

Falagard

Wow, reading some of these posts makes me wonder how you guys missed what's going on here.

Some got it right - but wow. There's no other interpretation:

1. Tarkov, as a kid goes to a funeral.
2. Tarkov, as a young man enlists in the marines.
3. Tarkov, as a trained ODST soldier hell jumps onto a planet and fights brutes. He's injured by a Brute, but not killed (how would you think he was killed? he's blinking and breathing after the Brute is taken out by the Banshee).
4. Tarkov, as an older grizzled ODST (same scars, obvious fade between the younger version of himself and the older version) buries a comrade, then jumps back into battle.

BerserkerBarage

Neo Member
desertdroog said:
Ladies and Gentlemen:

BezerkerBarage either having better eyesight than me (probably) and able to dissect the awesomeness of that video (most likely) in order to bring the details of what we all saw.

:D Kudos!

The "pause" button is my friend. You can clearly see his name is Tarkov on his shirt during basic. You can also see his name printed on his ODST armor (right under his chin at the top of the breastplate) during the fight scene with the Brute. I haven't been able to find a shot of him when it skips to New Mombasa. I'd assume it's him because the armor looks identical, but I don't have proof (since you can't ever get a good look to see if the names match up where it is previously). And I think showing him as a kid at an ODST funeral and then presiding over a make-shift one in New Mombasa is the theme to the clip.

No matter who you are...death is inevitable.

~B.B.

Trasher

t4ng0 said:
Watch it again - they show the guy's face after the banshee crashes. They are showing the same ODST the whole trailer - his dad/relative was probably killed > he joins > dongs on brute after getting face scarred > etc.
Oh ya you are right. Didn't notice the scars. I guess because there was no blood when his face was all ripped up haha. I had the impression that that part at night was later the same day, not years later, and that they were looking at the guy's grave. I stand corrected.

Falagard: I thought the closeup on his face was there to show that he was NOT blinking and breathing haha. He actually doesn't blink.

Trasher said:
Oh ya you are right. Didn't notice the scars. I guess because there was no blood when his face was all ripped up haha. I had the impression that that part at night was later the same day, not years later, and that they were looking at the guy's grave. I stand corrected.

Falagard: I thought the closeup on his face was there to show that he was NOT blinking and breathing haha.

Personally, I thought that the scars were quite obvious, and I'm sure they were made to be that way. ;)

Trasher

-Yeti said:
Personally, I thought that the scars were quite obvious, and I'm sure they were made to be that way. ;)
Oh I know, but some blood would have made it easier to see. I thought it was just dirt at first.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Major Williams said:

It's the 26th century. It isn't even specified in the ad whether these ODSTs are from Earth, never mind wherever you have in mind. The officer is yelling Hungarian insults at Hungarian-speaking troops on an unnamed world. The UNSC is canonically a multicultural, multilingual organization that draws the best of humanity from the teeming billions scattered throughout human space. Also, they have laser guns.

OuterWorldVoice said:
It's the 26th century. It isn't even specified in the ad whether these ODSTs are from Earth, never mind wherever you have in mind. The officer is yelling Hungarian insults at Hungarian-speaking troops on an unnamed world. The UNSC is canonically a multicultural, multilingual organization that draws the best of humanity from the teeming billions scattered throughout human space. Also, they have laser guns.
shark.jpg

OuterWorldVoice said:

Yeah, they have laser guns. They can speak whatever language they want!

Top Bottom