• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 3: ODST and Halo: Reach

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Full list of ODST's Achievements revealed. The only thing semi-spoilerish in it is the name of the missions, but aside from that, nothing is a spoiler from the list. I recommend looking at.

Not only is the artistic picture for each Achievement very cool, but so are the Achievements themselves. Lookin' super fun to get, although I think one of Vidmaster Achievements is going to be a little tough and time consuming to get.

http://www.360-hq.com/Halo_3_ODST_Xbox_360_Achievements-882.html

Domino Theory said:
Full list of ODST's Achievements revealed. The only thing semi-spoilerish in it is the name of the missions, but aside from that, nothing is a spoiler from the list. I recommend looking at.

Not only is the artistic picture for each Achievement very cool, but so are the Achievements themselves. Lookin' super fun to get, although I think one of Vidmaster Achievements is going to be a little tough and time consuming to get.

Thanks, from one achievement junkie to another. :D

Kibbles said:
Weekly Update - http://www.bungie.net/News/content.aspx?type=topnews&link=BWU090409

:lol It's official. Urk put up the Brimley severe spoiler risk chart.

Up early today aye? Reading now.

The Lamonster said:
shark.jpg

:lol I was thinking the same thing!!!

Arnie

Domino Theory said:
Full list of ODST's Achievements revealed. The only thing semi-spoilerish in it is the name of the missions, but aside from that, nothing is a spoiler from the list. I recommended looking at.

Thanks Domino. This list seems more appealing now we have lots more information about Firefight. Damn though those Vidmasters are brutal.

Also: Be like Marty
In Firefight, finish a full round without killing a single enemy
:lol

Domino Theory said:

Given the Good Samaritan achievement, It makes me wonder if there will any in-game benefit to not killing Engineers. Such as repairing damaged vehicles in an area or replenishing plasma/energy based ammo after it no longer has to amp the other Covenant soldiers.

Or it's just there as a skill based achievement?

Oozer3993

Arnie said:
Thanks Domino. This list seems more appealing now we have lots more information about Firefight. Damn though those Vidmasters are brutal.

Also: Be like Marty
In Firefight, finish a full round without killing a single enemy
:lol

:lol :lol

My favorite:

Dome Inspector
Get 15 headshot kills on
NMPD HQ.

The Vidmaster ones look fun. And hard. Really hard. But I shall complete them.

OuterWorldVoice said:
It's the 26th century. It isn't even specified in the ad whether these ODSTs are from Earth, never mind wherever you have in mind. The officer is yelling Hungarian insults at Hungarian-speaking troops on an unnamed world. The UNSC is canonically a multicultural, multilingual organization that draws the best of humanity from the teeming billions scattered throughout human space. Also, they have laser guns.

I've studied this universe through and through for years, and I love what you guys have created. It sucked me in, even as I'm getting older and getting engaged and all that whatnot. But as I get older, I become more critical.

500 years from now, I would guess that nationalities and cultural heritage would still be somewhat intact, but homogenized to some degree. The institution of the UNSC in 2160 gives ~400 years to do just that. With the adjunct of fast communication and FTL drives, it would seem that the militarized mentality of the UNSC and a primary language of English would be the primary influence on all colonies, nations, planets, etc.

Given this, a universal command structure should be in one language for efficiency and ubiquity, things like computer programming, database infrastructures, and the like would all be programmed in the primary language, english. Why would the UNSC allow other colonies to train in other languages, to give orders in other languages? It seems like anything else would create a barrier and hinder the command structure.

I'm sure the guy the advert follows is there at the end, not the person with the scars as after that little bit he looks at the skinny guy, who was in the entire advert up to that point anyway.

At first I thought the cut to the scar guy was the same dude a few years in the future but it's not, and he did not die.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Have ODSTified my avatar. From the same set of artwork for sale as Kibbles' avatar. Achievements look, for the most part, easy to get. I wonder which character unlocks after beating the whole game on Legendary.

Sai-kun said:
I wanna use one too but I think it's a spoiler D;

I don't think they're really huge spoilers.

I think the reason why GAF increases the image size is because they're too small. Hopefully larger versions pop up somewhere.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Major Williams said:
I've studied this universe through and through for years, and I love what you guys have created. It sucked me in, even as I'm getting older and getting engaged and all that whatnot. But as I get older, I become more critical.

500 years from now, I would guess that nationalities and cultural heritage would still be somewhat intact, but homogenized to some degree. The institution of the UNSC in 2160 gives ~400 years to do just that. With the adjunct of fast communication and FTL drives, it would seem that the militarized mentality of the UNSC and a primary language of English would be the primary influence on all colonies, nations, planets, etc.

Given this, a universal command structure should be in one language for efficiency and ubiquity, things like computer programming, database infrastructures, and the like would all be programmed in the primary language, english. Why would the UNSC allow other colonies to train in other languages, to give orders in other languages? It seems like anything else would create a barrier and hinder the command structure.

Yup. I would have everyone speaking English or Spanish tomorrow, logically. But logically people wouldn't be shooting brass-jacketed bullets in the 26th century. It's flavor. Atmosphere. Fun.

Mark V

Pudding Tame said:
Damn, that was awesome, kudos to whoever made it.

Were those the WETA made ODST armor modified to look more like in-game armor, or are they completely new?

All new, made by Legacy Effects.

xxjuicesxx said:
Whats with these Vidmasters being worth points?

Achievement list looks mad easy. Is it really an achievement if its so easy?

Yea I'm pretty surprised at how easy they are other than the Vidmasters. Not that I'm complaining I hate hate multiplayer achievements. Nearly all of them are situational and luck. But its kind of a drag that everyone will easily be able to get 1000 in it, making it less special. It would be cool though if there were a few singleplayer achievements that were "Mile High" difficulty level. Like have 6 skulls on while playing Legendary or something to that effect.

Major Williams said:

You are seriously reading too deep into this. It's a video game ad.

Oozer3993

I didn't see this posted, but I apologize if it was. According to a kind chap over at CAG, Toys R Us will be selling ODST with a free $20 GC and Rookie action figure (apparently listed as a $12 value) and the deal will be active all week, though they'll probably run out of action figures relatively quickly. As far as I know, this is only good for the US. Also, according to Bungie.net, they are doing the Johnson pre-order bonus. I might have to do this.

Falagard

Major Williams said:
Why would the UNSC allow other colonies to train in other languages, to give orders in other languages? It seems like anything else would create a barrier and hinder the command structure.

If you want to get all analytical about it, battalions, regiments, etc. who all come from the same culture tend to work very well together. The natural comradery and drive to prove to themselves and others that their culturally based regiment is better than any others makes them terrific soldiers.

For example, the Van Doos, a completely French regiment of the Canadian Forces kicked all sorts of ass during the first and second World Wars. (22nd Regiment - 22 in French sounds like "Vandoo").

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_22e_Régiment

xxjuicesxx said:
Whats with these Vidmasters being worth points?

Achievement list looks mad easy. Is it really an achievement if its so easy?

Shouldn't matter just as long as they're fun to achieve.

At least that's how I see it.

Btw, if anyone somehow stumbles upon larger images of the ODST Achievements, would you kindly let me know?

zumphry

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Yup. I would have everyone speaking English or Spanish tomorrow, logically. But logically people wouldn't be shooting brass-jacketed bullets in the 26th century. It's flavor. Atmosphere. Fun.

And because they "switched from water that kills everyone in the room when you drink it", back to weapons that were fun. Right?

Magni

Vidmaster Challenge: Classic - Finish any level solo on Legendary, on LIVE, with no shots fired or grenades thrown. Vidmaster Challenge: Classic
Finish any level solo on Legendary, on LIVE, with no shots fired or grenades thrown.

If it's solo, why does it have to be on LIVE? I have no Internet for the 360 while I'm at college..

MagniHarvald said:
If it's solo, why does it have to be on LIVE? I have no Internet for the 360 while I'm at college..

Probably needs to check the Bungie.net Stats and it's to prevent cheating.

Worse case scenario couldn't you just connect the 360 to your PC and share connection? Sure it may not be a strong enough connection to play multiplayer games but it is enough to be signed into Live. I have a similar setup in my dorm.

Willeth

Is there a planned meet or anything for HaloGAF at PAX? I'm in the main theatre right now but if anyone wants to grab lunch in an hour, let me know.

Oozer3993

MagniHarvald said:

You don't have internet while at college? I pity your school.

DancingJesus said:

Worse case scenario couldn't you just connect the 360 to your PC and share connection? Sure it may not be a strong enough connection to play multiplayer games but it is enough to be signed into Live. I have a similar setup in my dorm.

That's how I play on live from home since I don't have the Wireless Adapter and there's no ethernet connection in the room with the 360.

Magni

DancingJesus said:

I tried, worked a bit (got a Perfection on my third game), but now it no longer works.. I'll try again, but yesterday the six hours I spent (classes only start on Monday for us, I had time to waste) trying to get it to work were for naught. Oh well, I'll be shooting for 100% cars in FM2 while waiting for ODST to ship, and I'll try that achievement during break.

edit: My dorm has wifi, but you need to log-in through a browser, so for consoles it sucks :(

MagniHarvald said:
I tried, worked a bit (got a Perfection on my third game), but now it no longer works.. I'll try again, but yesterday the six hours I spent (classes only start on Monday for us, I had time to waste) trying to get it to work were for naught. Oh well, I'll be shooting for 100% cars in FM2 while waiting for ODST to ship, and I'll try that achievement during break.

edit: My dorm has wifi, but you need to log-in through a browser, so for consoles it sucks :(

Maybe this will help you out.

33fc5jo.png

Since you need to log in the browser be sure to first sign in and then perform a test connect on your 360 after these settings are saved.

There is no ethernet port in your room? Bummer :/

Like my new avy? I think it looks kind of interesting, but I'm still messing around to see if I can make it look extra awesome. Maybe if I give it a border it would look cooler.

Arnie

-Yeti said:
Like my new avy? I think it looks kind of interesting, but I'm still messing around to see if I can make it look extra awesome. Maybe if I give it a border it would look cooler.
Yes it's pretty good. The spider web looks a tad out of place but the helmet is a beaut.

big ander

Here I am, late to the party on pretty much everything

Podcast: I thought it was good, I like hearing about the development process of the maps. Although stuff like the 30 second fart was...uhh...different.

Red VS Blue ODST Episode 2: I liked it. I like all of Rooster Teeth's stuff, they're a funny group.

Live Action Trailer: WOW. *rewatches* STILL WOW. That was awesome. God, being an ODST is going to be so freaking awesome. :D

I forgot to DVR the GTTV episode, is it worth watching online?

Okay, I think I got my avatar to look how I want it. :)

As for watching GTTV Online: Go for it, if you really want to. It shows off a new Campaign level that hasn't before been revealed, but doesn't really spoil anything major.

Blueblur1

That's so awesome that the Brimley chart made it into the update. I'm sure we're gonna have a whole new generation of lurkers watching us now. :lol

Arnie said:
Can anyone from PAX show us a sample of the T-Shirts available for sale? Ghal?
The bungietweets Twitter account posted this earlier. Rehosted it. There are three shirts on sale but this is the only image I've found.

27615377.jpg

big ander

Blueblur1 said:
That's so awesome that the Brimley chart made it into the update. I'm sure we're gonna have a whole new generation of lurkers watching us now. :lol

The bungietweets Twitter account posted this earlier. Rehosted it. There are three shirts on sale but this is the only image I've found.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/Blueblur1/GAF/27615377.jpg[/IM[/QUOTE]
I will buy that shirt if it pops up on ebay (or if there are any Gaffers at PAX right now, talk to me and maybe we can arrange something).

vhfive

big ander said:
I forgot to DVR the GTTV episode, is it worth watching online?
imo no.
gttv sucks all the odst content was segmented and placed in between a bunch of other video game content. i think it would have been better if they just lumped all the odst segments together and had them flow into each other. but the way it was set up made everything thing seem too short and uninformative.

Domino Theory said:

So
8 levels, plus the overworld?
Didn't Halo 3 only have like 9?

Top Bottom