• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

I have three "Day 1 lynch" potential targets and they're LoneProdigy, OceanicAir and Tucah. Here's my notes on them:

Lone_Prodigy: 8 posts. Easy choice. He's been inactive and reactionary. He's taken accusations too seriously and that has only helped him sink further and made himself look like he's on the defensive. That doesn't really apply to these last 2 votes though, since now that the end of the day approaches, they're definitely becoming something you want to avoid. Still, that it took him ~5 posts to justify his initial Necro vote and people haven't forgot makes him look really bad. I didn't like one bit of that last post either - throwing the towel about Rats and throwing a random accusation at Retro.

OceanicAir: 5 posts. Maybe a target for replacement? Anti-Blarg, anti-Sorian and anti-Darryl early on, though presumably he has experience from past games. He pretty much ignored early votes against him, which I think is the correct thing to do, and kept punching the air in their general direction. I'd really like to know if he's one of the targets for replacement, it'd be a shame if he was because I think his experience makes him a good asset. That's why I think I'd give him the edge over Lone_Prodigy, hoping he becomes more involved. If he doesn't I think he'd be a good day 2 target though.

Tucah: 6 posts. None of them say much at all, he might as well not have posted at all =/ Has he been in previous games? Also potentially a target for replacement? I'd like it if Zatoth came forward with who he's looking into replacing. He mentioned having suspicions and looking into some people but never came forward with anything. Between him and LP... a toss up really.

TL;DR: I feel that since Tucah and OceanicAir might be eventually replaced, Lone_Prodigy is the only real safe choice. I'd like some clarification on Zatoth's part about whether any of those is up for replacement.

I'll have to think about Darryl's Droplet vote. Darryl, do you think this would yield more information than going after an inactive? Don't we risk the game going stale if we kill someone that's been at least engaging with us? I'd like you to elaborate on your suspicions.

For now though,

VOTE: OceanicAir

Just in hopes he'll wake up.

Here's another reactionary post. Somehow that makes me more suspicious than people who have been prodded but haven't responded.

I've mentioned my suspicions and explained my actions. I put in a vote for Neuromancer, went away, and came back to justify it. Did you not see my post responding to Rats' vote? He ignored it completely and basically went "I'm not changing my vote regardless, oh and you should all vote with me". Why bother repeating myself?

And the Retro mention was because he was jumping on a potential bandwagon, which coincidentally was what got me in trouble in the first place (voting for Neuromancer).

One new development: Darryl's vote for Droplet. I wouldn't say it's random (Droplet has not participated much since an initial flurry of rule-explaining) but a relative lack of explanation for it, plus his treatment of OrangeYouGlad ("read the thread") seems like someone who may be a bit too comfortable with his place in the game since his item reveal warded off suspicion. If this behaviour continues it may be something to keep an eye on.

Finally, it's Day One. No is suspicious. Everyone is suspicious. It's why we circle and point fingers everywhere, hoping for something to stick. There are so many posts that provide an opposing perspective with the caveat "but I'm not defending him/her, by the way." It's survival.

I was actually literally fearing what happens if someone gets banned and OrangeYouGlad went ahead and did it so now the game has been changed. Lone_Prodigy said he would prove himself of RatsOffToYa but I just don't see it, he's not selling himself hard enough and comes across as rather distant. Now I don't mean to dogpile him but that's honestly how his posts come across to me.

Darryl

Banned
I voted for Droplet before so the reasoning was already out there. I just changed back now that Cuppa has explained himself and I find her new circumstances make her worth voting for even more. I thought her tone sounded mafia and the early bandwagon onto Blarg was suspicious. If she is going inactive, she is worth a vote even more.

Good. We need to get the thread back on track. We have an audience now, and time is ticking down.

*stares into dimensional rift*

HEY, PALMER AND CZARTIM--
b95jBHW.gif

...UM, IN AN ENTIRELY FIGURATIVE SENSE OF FRIENDLY CROSS-COMPETITIVE TRASH-TALK OF COURSE, I... I REALLY DON'T WANT TO GET TIME CUBE'D HERE.

Darryl

Banned
One new development: Darryl's vote for Droplet. I wouldn't say it's random (Droplet has not participated much since an initial flurry of rule-explaining) but a relative lack of explanation for it, plus his treatment of OrangeYouGlad ("read the thread") seems like someone who may be a bit too comfortable with his place in the game since his item reveal warded off suspicion. If this behaviour continues it may be something to keep an eye on.

Finally, it's Day One. No is suspicious. Everyone is suspicious. It's why we circle and point fingers everywhere, hoping for something to stick. There are so many posts that provide an opposing perspective with the caveat "but I'm not defending him/her, by the way." It's survival.

Couldn't quote on the last one because mobile making it all difficult. Anyways, there is no reason at all for me to feel uncomfortable with the game. Comfortable for fucking what? What will my behavior do? Offend mafia and get me a night eviction? Offend town and get a day eviction? Is town going to push for a day eviction because they're OFFENDED? Is that something a real town player will do? I don't care about how long I'm in this game for. I'm playing as if I'm going to be gone today anyways, as we all should.

Vote: Lone_Prodigy

I realised that I was saying the same thing over and over in these, so as a preface: the problem is that so many people are taking a sort of wait-and-see approach that it becomes hard to determine whether it's Day 1/newbie jitters or strategic, so there's lots of room for reasonable doubt in these judgements.

This is purely gut-based Day 1 so a lot of the time people are more ???? than scummy, but equally I suppose that being ???? = scummy so idek.

Flame_AC
You definitely haven't shied away from conflict and applying your vote, which seems more Town than anything at this early stage.

GreatCharleston
I suppose that you're more likely to be town than not when looking where you fit in on the whole list. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but eh. Your post where you suggested a Sorian / Fireblend cahoots thing was odd, but that's about it for now.

Lone_Prodigy
Please contribute more. You're definitely at threat of being the first to go. You're too reactionary.

Rats Off To Ya
Town, only really speaks when he has something to say. Targeting Lone_Prodigy so early and so obviously seems like more of a town thing. You've been so strongly advocating for it, and I doubt that mafia would be risking going so hard right now.

Neuromancer
It would be nice to hear more from you. I think that the way you responded earlier is more indicative of inexperience than anything else, so I think you're Town.

Fireblend
I don't know. Unlike some of the others you seem to have said a lot, but I'm not sure much of it has left an impression on me. You definitely ask lots of questions. Sorry.

Sorian
I think you're town. If only because if you didn't exist, I don't know how much discussion we would have had today. Some of it to me is 'fluff', sure, but I think that that means different things to different people and we all have different ways of
trying to analyse others. You've definitely done your best today at pinging around and trying to get information out of people, and we'll feel the benefit of your presence in days to come.

Capitan
? Guessing that you're one of the people seeking to be replaced.

Droplet
I was going to come back to you at the end of the day, but I completely understand that you have personal problems that need dealing with and I hope that everything is okay. Real life must take priority. :)

OrangeYouGlad
I won't be able to get anything on you until Day 2 I think, unless you do something crazy in the next 24hrs.

ultron87
I'm so iffy on you. You've been incredibly background and just popped your head out occasionally to assure us of your continued existence, but it's not really satisfactory to me. I dislike how you leaned so heavily on LoC, but then again I had a similar crazy moment earlier. I definitely think that trying to draw links between LoC and the new players in order for demonstrate how he's presenting himself as some hero is reaching a bit.

Matt Attack
I can't tell. Quite ambiguous.

Tucah
Maybe you're asking to be replaced too?

Timeaisis
Only speaks when he has something to say. Willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for now, but it's all a bit mysterious.

Darryl
I like your attitude. You don't waste words, and mentioning the item was a good call, even if everyone promptly galloped off all over the savannah with the idea.

Lord of Castamere
I'm pretty convinced that you're Town for now, unless I've completely misinterpreted the situation.

Coppanuva
Ugh. I think my issues here are largely due to my impatience and general mishandling of the situation earlier, but I still don't know. I definitely felt like I had to push you to get anywhere, but I'm not sure how much of a chance I actually gave you. I'll leave it for now. You're definitely more active since then, which is something. I suppose now that I think about it I'm inclined to cut you a break for today.

RetroMG
I'm less certain of you than most, but I think you're just in a Day 1 sort of way, so it's difficult to tell.

OceanicAir
? Are you one of the leavers?

Blargonaut
I trust you for now. Please don't let my faith be misplaced.

nin1000
I don't know. I want to think you're town for now if only because otherwise you wouldn't be so ready to fight over the definition of 'fluff' 'n' stuff, and your attitude is generally just so... blasé, maybe? Can't find the word and this has taken me enough time already. If you're on a mafia team, you're definitely being minimally coached and being allowed relatively free range. Equally, however, the quality of your contribution to the town effort is questionable to the extent that it becomes bothersome.

Vylash
Welcome to Call of Cthulhu Mafia! I promise that I don't bite.

-----------

Reading it back now, it totally sucks as most of the time I'm just like 'I don't know' but I honestly don't know. But I do know who I'm not getting good vibes from.

My top three candidates for lynching are ultron87, Lone_Prodigy and nin1000. Just based on how I feel looking at it all listed and ranking my options. More about who is a bit more questionable and who presents minimal loss to town judging by their contributions at this stage, assuming that nobody comes out and starts looking incredibly scummy.

I mean, if Tucah and OceanicAir are actually still with us then they're up there, but I doubt it.

I need to sleep on it, but for now

UNVOTE: Coppanuva

Fireblend

Banned
Fireblend
I don't know. Unlike some of the others you seem to have said a lot, but I'm not sure much of it has left an impression on me. You definitely ask lots of questions. Sorry.
Man, I just can't catch a break huh :p to be fair though you're also in my "hard to read" list and when creating my list I was surprised with hiow much more than I expected you have posted. Maybe we just haven't interacted much.

We're just going in circles here. I've answered people's questions and "I want more" is just a lazy statement to make when all we have are suspicions and circumstantial evidence. I have a list of suspicious characters. Neither have done anything to allay my suspicions. Most have done nothing, to be honest.

Darryl just proved my point. Reckless, aggressive, and overly defensive when questioned. "Is that something a real town player would do?" Why even bring that up? Of course we're all town. It's a terrible excuse to make, right next to "I'm new".

Mafia know how to play this game. They know how to turn players on each other, profess their innocence, fly under the radar, make themselves useful and indispensable, suspect anyone and everyone. Unpredictable loose cannons do not help the town if they're going to fly off the handle and vote willy-nilly.

The optics look bad, but:

Vote: Darryl

Sorian

Banned
Alright I promised a big post with all of my thoughts so here it is. For the purposes of what I'm trying to do here, I'm going to list out everyone, give varying levels of thoughts, and the categorize them as cult, tourist, or useless tourist. In no way am I married to any of these ideas because all I have to go on is my gut and people's habits but they are my feelings and it's unlikely I will be swayed on any of them until day 2 starts. Feel free to ask specific questions about anything you life but don't be disappointed if I just say it was a gut reaction because for some of these, that's all they are.

Flame_AC: Has bouts of inactivity but overall has been helpful in getting discussion going for better or worse. His last post seemed to indicate something interesting but it has been radio silence since then. Verdict: Tourist

GreatCharleston: I went back and forth on Charleston for awhile. His early posts felt mafia to me and then he went back towards town but I'm feeling mafia again and that's where I will stay on him for now. Verdict: Cultist

Lone_Prodigy: If I had to write up a dictionary definition of useless tourist, I would just link you over to Prodigy's avatar. He's really done nothing to help and has mostly just flailed around very inefficiently whenever suspicion falls on him. I've debated if this was supposed a weird ploy to get us to think he is daft but Verdict: Useless Tourist

Rats Off To Ya: I read rats as a cultist early on and I think he is trying to convince us to go for the easy vote in Prodigy. He's started to sound more tourist as the game went on but i still feel Verdict: Cultist

Neuromancer: Sorry Neuro but I have to put you together with Prodigy. You did a lot better at defending yourself and I do believe you are tourist. I still have to give you Verdict: Useless Tourist

Fireblend: I've always read you as the inquisitive sort so the role you've been taking in this game is the one I would expect you to take regardless of your affiliation. You've done a few things that seemed suspicious to me but really none of them hold any water when I really think about it. Verdict: Tourist

Sorian:
I'm here to judge you, not myself. That's your job

Capitan: ???

Droplet: I think she was genuinely trying to help and Darryl didn't really convince me that she was Cult aligned. The fact that I'm so unsure and she may now be leaving the game forces me to have to leave the role in play. I don't need us taking after our Archer scrub brothers and sisters. Verdict: Tourist

Never Forever: NF came off as cultist right from the get go but he quickly changed my mind. I still wonder if he actually got anything from blarg's post or was playing along but I am safe saying Verdict: Tourist

OrangeYouGlad: RIP, you seemed to be tourist but the way you entered so late could also be played as a mistake or as a cultist finding a way to join late. Verdict: Tourist

Ultron87: I'm still holding you in the cultist camp. You were very strong in defending yourself when I asked but you didn't do a whole lot more in my opinion past that. If you weren't a person of interest then you didn't post. Verdict: Cultist

MattAttack: Has been genuinely trying to help and though I listed him earlier as a suspicious individual I still read town at the end of the day. Verdict: Tourist

Tucah: The only posts he has ever supplied to us was a weak defense for himself and a promise of more to come. Verdict: Useless Tourist

Timeaisis: You've worked on your own schedule but anytime you posted, you made a meaningful contribution IMO. No reason to suspect you yet so Verdict: Tourist

Darryl: You made a play that makes it so I can't view you as a cultist, the item doesn't make sense to have been revealed by a cultist at this point in time so Verdict: Tourist

LoC: Blarg took a gamble relaying information to you because as I'll say later, he is probably tourist. I have no real suspicion towards you so Verdict: Tourist

Coppa: You came off heavy cultist at first but I now read you as a tourist role with no powers. You defended yourself a little too well which is why I peg you more exact. Verdict: Tourist

RetroMG: Retro is a strong player and should be watched thoroughly, he is an asset to whichever team he is on, unfortunately, we have to prove that he is town first. No suspicions raised though Verdict: Tourist

OceanicAir: Suffers from the same problem as a lot of the other useless tourists. The only real substance came when you were under fire. I appreciate you shining that light on me though and you are literally borderline between useless and not useless but Verdict: Useless Tourist

Blarg: Ugh, I think Blarg is town. His riddle is ridiculous but it has done nothing but help town IMO from the little I've grasped of it. Verdict: Tourist

Nin1000: Just enough to be helpful but I've had a bad feeling from the start and if there is one person on this whole list that I would just have to say "gut feeling" for, it's you. Verdict: Cultist

Vylash: ???

Yes, I left out third parties. I said it earlier but I'll say it again. It's too early to think on that, I'd be surprised if there aren't third parties but we have enough on our plate with no real sorting method already. No need to complicate things.

I'm gonna hop in the shower then come back and post up who I am voting for and why. I did see while I was making this all up that NF posted a list too. Lists are so hot right now.

Time for another list.

Flame_AC- Me o_o u
GreatCharleston- A low key poster. On my suspect list.
Lone_Prodigy-I originally thought this was new player jitters, and it still might be, but with every post he's digging that hole to China. Might be our best D1 choice.
Rats Off To Ya- Seems town.
Neuromancer- Cleaned up his act. Has turned around but needs to be watched just in case
Fireblend- A curious case. Dips in activity. Reading neutral.
Sorian- Too active not to be town.
Droplet- Could go eith way, not enough info.
Never Forever- Every post seems to be aimed at improving the town. Town alligned
ultron87- Leading scum. Questionable posts and actions.Still has a vote on me to reveal a townies role.
MattAttack- Not doing enough to stick out. Could be scum or neutral.
Tucah- Not enough for a read.
Timeaisis- Not enough for a read.
Darryl- Blunt and to the point, but doing a lot of protown things. Town.
Coppanuva- Questionable posts and actions. Scum. That whole affair with the list leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
RetroMG- Alot of filler, but ultimately I'm leaning town.
OceanicAir- Leaning scum but low activity.
Blargonaut- Town or Neutral.
nin1000- Leaning scum. A lot of nothing coming from you still.
Vylash- Low activity.

Darryl

Banned
Lone_Prodigy I think you may have just misread an accusatory post as a defensive post. I'm questioning your line of thinking as coming from someone with a town-perspective. I responded to accusations in the first post. In the second one where I quoted you, I was making them.

This post began as an attempt to read over the entire game yet again, in the hopes of building a compelling list of players I was confident in voting to lynch. What I've ended up with is a treatise on why voting Blargonaut is the choice I believe we have to make.

So, I think we should lynch Blargonaut. He challenged anybody who thought as much to try to convince everybody with words, and that's what I'm going to try to do. His play really rubs me the wrong way. In fact, I would be concerned about anybody who isn't rubbed the wrong way. He essentially refuses to communicate in anything other than riddles and nigh incomprehensible prose. I've said this before, but this doesn't benefit the tourists in the slightest. I would argue that it's actually hurting us- the last thing we need in a game of lies and deceit is a layer of confusion from one of our own. And if it turns out he's not one of our own? Well, now there's almost assuredly no reason to keep him around.

He says that he's worth keeping around because he generates discussion, but how much of that discussion has proved useful thus far? Compare Blarg to Sorian- both players have generated a significant amount of discussion. However, there is a striking difference between the two- it would seem that only around two people can actually read anything Blarg is trying to say, and even then, they haven't necessarily been able to read all of it. In other words, you could remove his posts entirely and there would be almost no difference for the vast majority of us. But wait, that's discounting another possibility! What if the cultists ultimately are among the few to read (and therefore benefit) from his information, and have neglected to tell us? At this point, you've crossed the line from merely harming town to helping scum. Of course, the cultists being able to decipher your puzzles is not a forgone conclusion. It is still, however, a distinct possibility. Even if it's information already available to the cultists, they are now aware of the fact that it's out in the wild, and thanks to the riddles, have time to adjust their strategies accordingly. And assuming you really will be bringing more information forward in the days to come? Even more opportunities for the cultists to get their hands on this information. This sort of behavior is so blatantly hurtful to town that it leads me to believe that you don't care who gets your information, so long as they've earned the right to see it. In other words, I don't think you have our best interests in mind. On paper, this sounds totally cool and honorable, but the reality of the situation is that we're trying to win. We do not want to afford the cultists any more informational advantages than they already have.

Of course, the above rests on the assumption that his information is true. However, in Mafia, we don't have the luxury of accepting everything somebody claims as fact. Just because a claim is wrapped up in an exceedingly well thought out riddle, doesn't make it any more likely to be true. I would even argue that by making the message so challenging to access, its ability to be called into question is greatly diminished. The fact that this information is so obscured, requires a significant time investment to comprehend, and ultimately cannot be guaranteed as truthful makes me very wary.

So, what exactly is Blargonaut's alignment? Let's cut to the chase, because I'm pretty sure many of us have already figured it out- he is, in all likelihood, a neutral party. Lord of Castamere has claimed that Blarg is not a cultist- he never said he was town either. Furthermore, Blarg's basically confirmed it himself (pay attention to the references to HIS victory). The question then arises, why should we vote him out, if he's not a cultist? After all the win condition of the tourists merely requires all of the cultists to be gone. This fact is undeniable. However, things are rarely so simple. It is important to keep in mind that a good neutral player will ultimately place their own win condition above that of the remaining factions. I have experienced this first hand. As one of the two final rebels to perish in the Star Wars Mafia game, when the neutral Palmer_v1 betrayed us and led the himself and, by extension, the Hutts to victory, you had better believe that I regretted putting off his detainment. If he flips mafia, great. If he flips town? Obviously not so good, but considering his playstyle, who knows if he would have hurt us in the end (I don't think he'll be town though, for the record).

But still, even knowing this, should we put off his lynching? We've got some other candidates, like Lone_Prodigy. Even I will admit that some of his posts have left me cautious. My request is that we delay the lynching of these other candidates. It's only Day 1, and we don't have much information. There is a precedent for Day 1 mislynches on GAF, and while there's no guarantee the same will hold true for this game, there are certain circumstances exclusive to us that have me concerned. That is to say, our number of inactive players has been really low. Capitan, OrangeYouGlad, Afrocious/Vylash, OceanicAir, Tucah, these players have flown under the radar so hard for me that they might as well not have been here at all- and there are a few more who've posted a bit more but still not enough for my tastes. Who knows what sort of dynamic these individuals would have added to player interaction? A Day 1 lynch is almost always a shot in the dark, but in our case, we have even less to work with because of this. Frankly, I think we need another day to see how the rest of us, including our current suspects, interact. Combined with player replacements, a night kill and whatever else the night may provide us with, we'll have more to work with as well.

But, the math doesn't lie- we have little reason to go with a No Lynch vote, So, I propose we vote Blargonaut. His behavior is decidedly anti-town. His alignment is probably neutral, which could potentially bite us in the ass later on. His role could offer us some new information- at least more than what we might get out of an Ordinary Tourist. If he wants to stick around longer, I say he's got to prove to use that he's not a liability. I may not be bright enough to solve his puzzles, but it doesn't take much to see that he's got to go. This would be a preemptive move, to minimize confusion and remove a liability, all the while allowing us to get better reads on everybody else. And even if we don't decide to get rid of him today, I hope you all will keep this post in mind going forwards.

A revote for emphasis:

VOTE: Blargonaut

Oh, and Blarg? If you're actually are town, please please start proving it and begin actually helping town. Your riddles will be the death of me.

Of course we're all town.

I dunno why I just found this statement funny for obvious reasons.

I'm glad you all suspect me to a degree though, it makes me incredibly happy.

3uVWFP5.png

I also think with Rats Off To Ya is that he is very quick to pass judgement thus that is why some may think you're not town. There's literally nothing in between reads of people and saying they aren't trust worthy.

Flame_AC

Flame_AC: Has bouts of inactivity but overall has been helpful in getting discussion going for better or worse. His last post seemed to indicate something interesting but it has been radio silence since then. Verdict: Tourist

Those bouts of inactivity you described were my aforementioned car trip and sleep. I woke up today and have had the luxury of vomiting 5 times so sorry to not be as active as the day comes to a close.

Time for another list.
Flame_AC- Me o_o u

I'm squeaky clean LoC. ;D

Lists seem to be all the rage, so I'll type one up while I watch the Republican debate. (Stealing your formatting Sorian) Following that I will give my peace out on Blarg and that'll be that.

Sorian

Banned
Of course we're all town.

Except we aren't all town. Maybe you meant to say we are all pretending to be town but that's a different beast.

-------

Going back to my list above. Here are my thoughts. My guesses at who are mafia? Probably all wrong. My guess at who is town? A few of those are wrong. But my guesses on who is a useless tourist? That is pretty easily verifiable. Now the main issue is, we can't vote away a good power role because of a townie who doesn't know how to play. Which is why only one useless townie from my list makes a lot of sense in my eyes. A good mafia strategy is to play as a bad townie who doesn't actually contribute much and this person may have went too deep on that idea. They may also have just gotten busy in life which is why I hope our game master will tell me before the vote is up that this person has no intention of playing anymore if that is the case because then I would rather vote elsewhere.

VOTE: Tucah

As I said before, literally the only engagement was in defense to himself. He met his posting requirements so he does not need to post again for the rest of the day if he does not want to but he has provided 0 support. Even others who I called useless at least came back with real theories (some better than others) but Tucah has been the worst kind of town player in my eyes. That's my vote and I really do think it is the one in our best interest. The odds of us hitting a cultist day 1 based on conjecture is so low but a vote for Tucah is both eliminating a player who is not engaged and is not helping and may also be giving us a mafia who tried to play way too much behind the scenes.

I don't disagree with anything you say, Matt, but I'm not ready to string him up quite yet. At this point in the game Blarg feels like a necessary evil. A few days from now if we still don't know what the fuck he's playing at we can keelhaul his ass.

A revote for emphasis:

OTE: Blargonaut

Oh, and Blarg? If you're actually are town, please please start proving it and begin actually helping town. Your riddles will be the death of me.

Yes, I believe Blarg may be a Neutral role. I've actually narrowed it down to 3 roles. 2 of which are town alligned and critical. I think Blargonaut is worth the risk, but ultimately that's up to everyone.

I also think with Rats Off To Ya is that he is very quick to pass judgement thus that is why some may think you're not town. There's literally nothing in between reads of people and saying they aren't trust worthy.

If you are cultist then by all means, remember it to your grave. If you are town, read my last post. I'm probably dead wrong on my mafia verdicts. That's the fun of the game.

Nah, it's all good. I was just hoping for a clean sweep on these lists everyone's making. Doesn't feel good to take an L.

Flame_AC

Dang, Matt Attack, way to steal my thunder on going after Blarg. I suppose I'll shorten my post and give you my perspective anyways though. My post will be up in a bit, but Matt basically said everything I wanted to. Get rid of non tourists, even if they're not Cultists was my view on the matter.

Lone_Prodigy I think you may have just misread an accusatory post as a defensive post. I'm questioning your line of thinking as coming from someone with a town-perspective. I responded to accusations in the first post. In the second one where I quoted you, I was making them.

You responded to my accusation by voting for me. Seems defensive to me.

My reasoning is simple: you revealed you had a fancy item that no one could disprove, but people felt it didn't seem like non-town behaviour so you were let off the hook. You then proceed to bandwagon Coppanuva and bark at OrangeYouGlad (for the record, I agree with your Droplet vote). That's aggressive and unhelpful behaviour, seemingly the result of you being clean. The vote for me was icing on the cake. Retaliatory, bandwagon, or reckless? Suspicious and unnecessary.

Being unpredictable and unhelpful puts you in Blargonaut territory, and we can see what happens in that case. We already have one loose cannon and don't need a second one.

I voted for you because your item reveal put you in a more pro-town position, which may have led to your aggressive behaviour. With your influence you could lead the town astray.

Sorian

Banned
I'll be honest, I just can't sanction a vote for blarg. You're all right, the only thing I feel really positive about is that he is not cultist. That doesn't mean he is on our side though. The thing is, he seems to have information and we need that information. The tourists have the numbers but the cult has the info. Blarg can provide us a way to bridge that information gap but he has to be alive to do it. If he is neutral, he does need to go during early to mid game but I think he still has a useful role to serve so I don't think he should be first.

As for him speaking in riddles, unfortunately, that's the way he is. I'd prefer that he didn't but he is still trying to supply information. It is there for us if we are good enough. I think he knows something that we might need to win and we'll lose it if he dies.

Fireblend

Banned
I'm on mobile so I can't say much, but I want to say I'm firmly in the "Save Blarg" camp. Even if he's neutral. I highly doubt he's a cultist.

Darryl

Banned
I voted for Droplet before so the reasoning was already out there. I just changed back now that Cuppa has explained himself and I find her new circumstances make her worth voting for even more. I thought her tone sounded mafia and the early bandwagon onto Blarg was suspicious. If she is going inactive, she is worth a vote even more.

You responded to my accusation by voting for me. Seems defensive to me.

No. I responded to you and someone else who questioned my vote for Droplet above. The next post is a separate train of thought accusing you based on the phrasing of your accusations towards me that sounded scummy. Maybe it took you directing attention towards me to notice that you are acting pretty scummy, as up until now I've barely noticed you at all. Which is scummy itself.

This post began as an attempt to read over the entire game yet again, in the hopes of building a compelling list of players I was confident in voting to lynch. What I've ended up with is a treatise on why voting Blargonaut is the choice I believe we have to make.

So, I think we should lynch Blargonaut. He challenged anybody who thought as much to try to convince everybody with words, and that's what I'm going to try to do. His play really rubs me the wrong way. In fact, I would be concerned about anybody who isn't rubbed the wrong way. He essentially refuses to communicate in anything other than riddles and nigh incomprehensible prose. I've said this before, but this doesn't benefit the tourists in the slightest. I would argue that it's actually hurting us- the last thing we need in a game of lies and deceit is a layer of confusion from one of our own. And if it turns out he's not one of our own? Well, now there's almost assuredly no reason to keep him around.

He says that he's worth keeping around because he generates discussion, but how much of that discussion has proved useful thus far? Compare Blarg to Sorian- both players have generated a significant amount of discussion. However, there is a striking difference between the two- it would seem that only around two people can actually read anything Blarg is trying to say, and even then, they haven't necessarily been able to read all of it. In other words, you could remove his posts entirely and there would be almost no difference for the vast majority of us. But wait, that's discounting another possibility! What if the cultists ultimately are among the few to read (and therefore benefit) from his information, and have neglected to tell us? At this point, you've crossed the line from merely harming town to helping scum. Of course, the cultists being able to decipher your puzzles is not a forgone conclusion. It is still, however, a distinct possibility. Even if it's information already available to the cultists, they are now aware of the fact that it's out in the wild, and thanks to the riddles, have time to adjust their strategies accordingly. And assuming you really will be bringing more information forward in the days to come? Even more opportunities for the cultists to get their hands on this information. This sort of behavior is so blatantly hurtful to town that it leads me to believe that you don't care who gets your information, so long as they've earned the right to see it. In other words, I don't think you have our best interests in mind. On paper, this sounds totally cool and honorable, but the reality of the situation is that we're trying to win. We do not want to afford the cultists any more informational advantages than they already have.

Of course, the above rests on the assumption that his information is true. However, in Mafia, we don't have the luxury of accepting everything somebody claims as fact. Just because a claim is wrapped up in an exceedingly well thought out riddle, doesn't make it any more likely to be true. I would even argue that by making the message so challenging to access, its ability to be called into question is greatly diminished. The fact that this information is so obscured, requires a significant time investment to comprehend, and ultimately cannot be guaranteed as truthful makes me very wary.

So, what exactly is Blargonaut's alignment? Let's cut to the chase, because I'm pretty sure many of us have already figured it out- he is, in all likelihood, a neutral party. Lord of Castamere has claimed that Blarg is not a cultist- he never said he was town either. Furthermore, Blarg's basically confirmed it himself (pay attention to the references to HIS victory). The question then arises, why should we vote him out, if he's not a cultist? After all the win condition of the tourists merely requires all of the cultists to be gone. This fact is undeniable. However, things are rarely so simple. It is important to keep in mind that a good neutral player will ultimately place their own win condition above that of the remaining factions. I have experienced this first hand. As one of the two final rebels to perish in the Star Wars Mafia game, when the neutral Palmer_v1 betrayed us and led the himself and, by extension, the Hutts to victory, you had better believe that I regretted putting off his detainment. If he flips mafia, great. If he flips town? Obviously not so good, but considering his playstyle, who knows if he would have hurt us in the end (I don't think he'll be town though, for the record).

But still, even knowing this, should we put off his lynching? We've got some other candidates, like Lone_Prodigy. Even I will admit that some of his posts have left me cautious. My request is that we delay the lynching of these other candidates. It's only Day 1, and we don't have much information. There is a precedent for Day 1 mislynches on GAF, and while there's no guarantee the same will hold true for this game, there are certain circumstances exclusive to us that have me concerned. That is to say, our number of inactive players has been really low. Capitan, OrangeYouGlad, Afrocious/Vylash, OceanicAir, Tucah, these players have flown under the radar so hard for me that they might as well not have been here at all- and there are a few more who've posted a bit more but still not enough for my tastes. Who knows what sort of dynamic these individuals would have added to player interaction? A Day 1 lynch is almost always a shot in the dark, but in our case, we have even less to work with because of this. Frankly, I think we need another day to see how the rest of us, including our current suspects, interact. Combined with player replacements, a night kill and whatever else the night may provide us with, we'll have more to work with as well.

But, the math doesn't lie- we have little reason to go with a No Lynch vote, So, I propose we vote Blargonaut. His behavior is decidedly anti-town. His alignment is probably neutral, which could potentially bite us in the ass later on. His role could offer us some new information- at least more than what we might get out of an Ordinary Tourist. If he wants to stick around longer, I say he's got to prove to use that he's not a liability. I may not be bright enough to solve his puzzles, but it doesn't take much to see that he's got to go. This would be a preemptive move, to minimize confusion and remove a liability, all the while allowing us to get better reads on everybody else. And even if we don't decide to get rid of him today, I hope you all will keep this post in mind going forwards.

A revote for emphasis:

Dang, Matt Attack, way to steal my thunder on going after Blarg. I suppose I'll shorten my post and give you my perspective anyways though. My post will be up in a bit, but Matt basically said everything I wanted to. Get rid of non tourists, even if they're not Cultists was my view on the matter.

i8dYEv7.gif

If you truly believe me to be a "confirmed" Neutral, then killing me "absolutely" reduces the Tourists' buffer against a Cultist win.

You two would be making a "confirmed" anti-Town move.

Your fear of me betraying you a la Palmer is understandable, but currently, inconceivable.

It's simply too early for that.

I'll be honest, I just can't sanction a vote for blarg. You're all right, the only thing I feel really positive about is that he is not cultist. That doesn't mean he is on our side though. The thing is, he seems to have information and we need that information. The tourists have the numbers but the cult has the info. Blarg can provide us a way to bridge that information gap but he has to be alive to do it. If he is neutral, he does need to go during early to mid game but I think he still has a useful role to serve so I don't think he should be first.

As for him speaking in riddles, unfortunately, that's the way he is. I'd prefer that he didn't but he is still trying to supply information. It is there for us if we are good enough. I think he knows something that we might need to win and we'll lose it if he dies.

I don't think your former assumption is correct. The info he got would make sense for the role I think he has, but that also could have been a guess. The 100% verifed fluff. He did the same guess in Star Wars with no actual knowledge.

Hmm, you jolted my mind. 1 sec. I think I fucked up S1. I might be able to explain everything, but the explanation isn't nice.

Sorian

Banned
I don't think your former assumption is correct. The info he got would make sense for the role I think he has, but that also could have been a guess. The 100% verifed fluff. He did the same guess in Star Wars with no actual knowledge.

Hmm, you jolted my mind. 1 sec. I think I fucked up S1. I might be able to explain everything, but the explanation isn't nice.

I think he knows something, somehow. I think the information got to him by way of someone else's role, not his own. If you want my real thoughts on the matter.

If you truly believe me to be a "confirmed" Neutral, then killing me "absolutely" reduces the Tourists' buffer against a Cultist win.

Your fear of me betraying you a la Palmer is understandable, but currently, inconceivable.

Well, I mean... You did say in one of your earlier posts that you would be open to becoming the sacrifical lamb for us all if the time came and yet now you're fighting against it? Well... I have a killer image ready if I ever wanted to vote against you but I simply don't believe it's the right thing to do for now. Killing off the entertaining characters leaves the game stale.

My vote was already justified. I didn't need a monologue. I was complaining about how I was starting to become frustrated about inactive posters. Read the thread. That included you.
Then you're just wasting our time by filling the thread with more useless fucking spam text. Like we aren't all bring crushed by its unbearable weight as it is. You're intentionally dragging it on by being daft. I don't need to justify shit that is justified. Go find scum.
Couldn't quote on the last one because mobile making it all difficult. Anyways, there is no reason at all for me to feel uncomfortable with the game. Comfortable for fucking what? What will my behavior do? Offend mafia and get me a night eviction? Offend town and get a day eviction? Is town going to push for a day eviction because they're OFFENDED? Is that something a real town player will do? I don't care about how long I'm in this game for. I'm playing as if I'm going to be gone today anyways, as we all should.

g111aZl.png

Be patient, Darryl. It's too soon for us.

Well, I mean... You did say in one of your earlier posts that you would be open to becoming the sacrifical lamb for us all if the time came and yet now you're fighting against it? Well... I have a killer image ready if I ever wanted to vote against you but I simply don't believe it's the right thing to do for now. Killing off the entertaining characters leaves the game stale.

What can I say? Animal instinct.

Sorian

Banned

That long monologue by Blarg's was a gambit. He was cut down way too early in the SW thread and he doesn't want a repeat. He was there to help last time and I think he is here to help again. No matter how indirect it would be.

New thoughts on the puzzle.

SOLUTE1: Don Draper, Halve (#21 = CoMManDD Post) #21 / 2 = 10.5 then div. by 7 = 1.5 WARNING: Minimum number of warships in bound, verified

I don't disagree with anything you say, Matt, but I'm not ready to string him up quite yet. At this point in the game Blarg feels like a necessary evil. A few days from now if we still don't know what the fuck he's playing at we can keelhaul his ass.
Yes, I believe Blarg may be a Neutral role. I've actually narrowed it down to 3 roles. 2 of which are town alligned and critical. I think Blargonaut is worth the risk, but ultimately that's up to everyone.

If the information we get does end up helping us then I wouldn't mind keeping him around at all. The issue for me though, is that I'm just not confident in lynching anybody else at this point, whereas I'm almost certain about Blarg being a solid vote (a rarity on Day 1). His posts have seemingly done far more harm than good up to this point, and I've seen little that convinces me he'll clean up his act, beyond vague promises of potentially unverifiable information to those who can actually solve his puzzles (please tell me they'll get easier ;_;).

i8dYEv7.gif

Would it be anti-town? How do we know you won't help the cultists as well, provided they can solve your riddles? How do we know you actually are going to get any more information? What if I'm right and taking you out now allows us to get better reads on players, potentially avoiding a mislynch of one of our current suspects? Lynching a cultist should always be the priority, but there's a time and place for taking out a neutral as well (which I do believe you to be).

You're asking us to put a lot of faith in you. Make me believe you. Why the riddles? Give me something to work with. My plan may be a gamble too, but so is pretty much anything other course of action we can take. I think I've backed up my argument well though, certainly more than anything else I've seen. My proposed lynch has the least possible risks (taking out an already problematic player) while providing much needed time to think things through, wait for replacements, and so on.

Sorian

Banned
New thoughts on the puzzle.

SOLUTE1: Don Draper, Halve (#21 = CoMManDD Post) #21 / 2 = 10.5 then div. by 7 = 1.5 WARNING: Minimum number of warships in bound, verified

Ah, so you're saying he has less information than originally thought? True, Solute 1 does seem to hold less info than it did before. I still stand by my statements.

If the information we get does end up helping us then I wouldn't mind keeping him around at all. The issue for me though, is that I'm just not confident in lynching anybody else at this point, whereas I'm almost certain about Blarg being a solid vote (a rarity on Day 1). His posts have seemingly done far more harm than good up to this point, and I've seen little that convinces me he'll clean up his act, beyond vague promises of potentially unverifiable information to those who can actually solve his puzzles (please tell me they'll get easier ;_;).

I still think this is the best course of action. Tucah is who I believe is best but I'm fine if we decide on someone else. I just think our best bet is to get rid of someone who has shown to only have their own best interests at heart, a "useless tourist" as my original post put it. They are the only people who we can 100% say were no help since the beginning. Guess at anything else at this point is just wild speculation and speculation has a better chance of hurting us than helping us at this point.

Sorian

Banned
Double ah, you mean to say he knows a serial killer is about? That's no surprise at all, with this theme, I would have been amazed if there wasn't a serial killer type role.

Flame_AC

Now I'm gonna preface this by saying the beginning of this post is from two nights ago, so sorry if it seems a bit 'late'.

I'm getting more uneasy about Blarg and his antics. I think there's a very real possibility that, as I brought up earlier, he is some sort of third party. My question to him would be: "If you say you have information to share, why do you hide it behind Tourist-distracting rabbit holes for us to climb into? If you cared about the town and had the same win condition, that is winning when there are no more cult-aligned players, would it not be better to be upfront with the town, so that should you die, your information isn't lost with you.

From here on is all new:

I'm 75% confident that Blarg is some sort of third party. Regardless of if he is person who leans town or leans mafia, it is my opinion that regardless of the way he leans, he has to go. I loved reading your antics in Star Wars Mafia, unfortunately, I think that you have to go for the good of the town. This is all of course, unless you drop your show and give the town the information you seemingly claim to profess. An unwillingness to give your information is the most anti-town position anyone could take, to stop the flow of information is to stop the game.

I've paid no mind to your riddles, not bothering to waste my time chasing the carrot of your 'information'. A tourist such as myself, Rats off to Ya, or Fireblend shouldn't be wasting our time sifting through a pile of glass shards only to find a needle on the other side waiting to poke us for playing his game. It's hard enough on Day 1 for the Town to have something even close to a potential non-Tourist lynch, Blarg has popped out of a cake wrapped in a bow for us, so I think we should take that opportunity.

Sorian, it is my opinion that you are following Blarg down the rabbit hole and that you are blinded to the fact that that information is likely to never come. On the bolded, you think the Cultist's don't realize the same thing? If we don't lynch him, and Blarg continues to play his game and not the Town game, then the Cultists will let him live if only to lead us on. You and any others who want to wait for this mystical information would be akin to a rabbit constantly chasing a carrot at the end of a treadmill.

My vote for Blarg will stay unless he provides his information, no games, no riddles, no fun allowed. :)

I imagine the other voter(s) on Blarg share the same sentiment, give the information and live on as your third party role for another day. Otherwise your faction will likely end at the end of the day. I have enjoyed playing with you, but if the option is to save a potential tourist, (Coppanuva or perhaps even LoneProdigy) for the price of a third party, I'm okay with that.

I'm not sure I'm making the connection. Help

Ugh. Wants a switcher to switch Sorian implying night kill immunity, knows for a fact that one cultist exists, and won't stop talking about food and fire. I think Blargonaut is a town or neutral alligned killer, whose flavor is to feed a fire with our bodies.

Sorian

Banned
Sorian, it is my opinion that you are following Blarg down the rabbit hole and that you are blinded to the fact that that information is likely to never come. On the bolded, you think the Cultist's don't realize the same thing? If we don't lynch him, and Blarg continues to play his game and not the Town game, then the Cultists will let him live if only to lead us on. You and any others who want to wait for this mystical information would be akin to a rabbit constantly chasing a carrot at the end of a treadmill.

My vote for Blarg will stay unless he provides his information, no games, no riddles, no fun allowed. :)

I imagine the other voter(s) on Blarg share the same sentiment, give the information and live on as your third party role for another day. Otherwise your faction will likely end at the end of the day. I have enjoyed playing with you, but if the option is to save a potential tourist, (Coppanuva or perhaps even LoneProdigy) for the price of a third party, I'm okay with that.

I notice you bolded that sentence but not the next few words. I think he needs to die early-mid game. I don't think he is our best bet for a day 1 vote. I think it would be a rash and downright foolish decision. I also want to ask this, do you think Tucah is worth more than Blarg? Because I don't

I'm not sure I'm making the connection. Help?

He's saying there are at least 1.5 dangers to town. The one would be a full cultist, the .5 would be a neutral party that would be hurting town and cult.

A tourist such as myself, Rats off to Ya, or Fireblend shouldn't be wasting our time

This is very interesting by the way. Packed so neatly into your post with very little explanation around it. I don't know what to make of it but I don't like how matter of fact it was.

Top Bottom