• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Cthulhu Mafia |OT| Nuts on this island taste insane! Yum Yum!

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I appreciate it but for my other reasons given I don't think I'll be playing again. I appreciate it though.

Who scouted me and why I wonder?

if it lures you back at all, i am definitely going to ensure there is a 'quieter'/more ordered mafia game next season - more like the first one i made. i think we had three crazy games this season and nothing else, and while crazy games are great for some people, they don't suit others so much and it was remiss of me not to ensure variety like that. you should definitely rejoin in a more normal game. :)

I appreciate it but for my other reasons given I don't think I'll be playing again. I appreciate it though.

Who scouted me and why I wonder?

For what's it worth, I think I, personally, would like to play with you one day :> You seem like a level-headed, good-natured fella~ and I always like those types :>

and and, for whats it worthworthtwice, I also think Cthulhu was a rather unusual game, and you seem to be better suited to a normal type of set ups.... I think :3 .........

Anyway ! dont feel pressured to come back and rejoin if you're still feeling out of sorts but know that at least one person here will always welcome you to play again :D

Um, Palmer Raindoc? We had a love/hate relationship, but got a lot of work done without needing a special chat or anything =p

WORST. worst WORST couple ever. Only thinking about it gives me RIGHTEOUS ANGER OF THE DOOM KITTENS >:C

will nevar evur forgivu

everrrrrrrr

Zatoth

Guess I should talk about why I used certain mechanics for my game. (terrabyte also came up with a lot of it)

Insanity:
Well it is Cthulhu. There has to be insanity.

With two Cults in the game I did not think it was a good idea to let them both have a kill each night.

I expected to have much more player turn insane. But the game went into a different direct. Not a bad one. Just not the way I expected.

So was insanity just a "fun" gimmick? Not really. My idea was that it could be used to identify Tourists. Cultists and insane Tourist were already insane. So turning insane would have not effect in them.

Players could have noticed that only Tourists turned insane. The Cultists may have even tried to fake the effect of turning instead.

At least that were my idea on it. In hindsight I see that there was only a small chance of all of that actually to happen.

Neutral roles:
When I started to plan the game the role of a neutral Lovecraft was on of my first ideas. His counterpart came later.

I realise that those two roles were very odd. But what was my thought process behind them? In Lovecraft stories the "hero" may win at the end. But usually he is screwed anyway. In the Cthulhu universe you may have small victories but in the end your actions mean nothing to the Old Ones.

Both neutral roles were Pro Town. But only one of them would be able to win this game. So as town you have two roles that are both on your side, but sacrificing one of them would help you by having a safe night phase.

I liked the idea behind it. From a game mechanic perspective however it was probably not the best thing to do.

But I think it worked out okay in the end. I was actually kinda glad that you lynched Lovecraft. I realised too late that both neutral roles with their protection during the night phase could have been too powerful for the Tourist to have.

What did I learn?
Gimmicks may sound nice while planning, but they can lead to a lot of balance issues. Should I ever run another game (which I don't plan at the moment), I'd go with a more "normal" game.

In the end I think the game worked out okay.

Guess I should talk about why I used certain mechanics for my game. (terrabyte also came up with a lot of it)

Insanity:
Well it is Cthulhu. There has to be insanity.

With two Cults in the game I did not think it was a good idea to let them both have a kill each night.

I expected to have much more player turn insane. But the game went into a different direct. Not a bad one. Just not the way I expected.

So was insanity just a "fun" gimmick? Not really. My idea was that it could be used to identify Tourists. Cultists and insane Tourist were already insane. So turning insane would have not effect in them.

Players could have noticed that only Tourists turned insane. The Cultists may have even tried to fake the effect of turning instead.

At least that were my idea on it. In hindsight I see that there was only a small chance of all of that actually to happen.

Neutral roles:
When I started to plan the game the role of a neutral Lovecraft was on of my first ideas. His counterpart came later.

I realise that those two roles were very odd. But what was my thought process behind them? In Lovecraft stories the "hero" may win at the end. But usually he is screwed anyway. In the Cthulhu universe you may have small victories but in the end your actions mean nothing to the Old Ones.

Both neutral roles were Pro Town. But only one of them would be able to win this game. So as town you have two roles that are both on your side, but sacrificing one of them would help you by having a safe night phase.

I liked the idea behind it. From a game mechanic perspective however it was probably not the best thing to do.

But I think it worked out okay in the end. I was actually kinda glad that you lynched Lovecraft. I realised too late that both neutral roles with their protection during the night phase could have been too powerful for the Tourist to have.

What did I learn?
Gimmicks may sound nice while planning, but they can lead to a lot of balance issues. Should I ever run another game (which I don't plan at the moment), I'd go with a more "normal" game.

In the end I think the game worked out okay.

Oh yeah, never asked

What would have happened had Lord of Castamere used his ability on me?

Sorian

Banned
Oh yeah, never asked

Did you ever get an answer to this? I was also always kind of curious what LoC choosing wrong would have done and if it was even you, Hyper, that was the issue or if it was one of the other cultists.

Zatoth

Oh yeah, never asked

Sorry for being late.

His power would have had not effect on you.

First time he tries to block you, you would receive a message that a Cultist tried to put you to sleep.

Trying another time to block you, you'd also know that it was a member of the Cthulhu cult.

But Lords Block had priority over nin1000's Block in case they'd tried to block each other.

Just wanted to post a quick congratulations before slinking back into the cesspit of no internet. Good job town.

I should have responded to this earlier!

Dude, you are a vicious scum player. I was getting played the entire time you were alive. If not for a second Cult, I'm not sure we ever would have taken you down.

GG. I hope we play together again, and I really hope we're on the same side.

Top Bottom