• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vanity Fair Puts Young NYC People (And Tindr) On Blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
I feel like I'm the only person left on the planet that likes to go on like 10 dates with someone before sleeping with them.

You're not though.

I'm more in the three date territory (which feels average for a guy) but the vast majority of singles aren't using online dating at any given point. I've dated loads of chicks that were repulsed by the whole hook up business.

The best way to meet people is still through friends or activities.

Squalor

I feel like I'm the only person left on the planet that likes to go on like 10 dates with someone before sleeping with them.
Ten dates? That's a fucking relationship.

For people who just want to bang (the majority of people on Tinder), ain't nobody got time for that.

Nothing new about casual sex. Or the advantages and consequences of it.

Can't yell at the cloud cause kids these days can basically order ass on the Internet.

Instant messaging changed completely the dynamics of communication. You used to go on dates to meet the person and actually get to know her. Now you do it before. It's a matter of adapting.

border

If you wait for 10 dates before having sex.....what happens when you finally have sex and it turns our your partner is a cold fish? Or doesn't enjoy doing the things you like? Or requests things that you don't like? Or is unable to satisfy you at all?

Sexual compatibility is so important -- seems like a huge investment of time and effort that can be brought down in an instant. There's no need to rush sex, but I would at least want to make sure you have a foundation to build on at some point.

Sexual compatibility is so important -- seems like a huge investment of time and effort that can be brought down in an instant. There's no need to rush sex, but I would at least want to make sure you have a foundation to build on at some point.

While I agree with you plenty of people here are going to say it's not important.

While I agree with you plenty of people here are going to say it's not important.

Depends. Once the sex goes, will you want to remain with that person?

Sex is one aspect of the relationship, but personality and shared hobbies goes a long way.

10 dates could be over the span of 2-3 weeks. He never said how long those said dates were.

Sounds like a lot, but for a woman I felt strongly about, It would be a worthwhile sacrifice.

Brakke

Banned

wait if it turns out you're not good at sex together you're just going to completely cut off communication with the person? why is it a waste of investment? just convert those shares into Friendship Stock instead of Lover Stock.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
If you wait for 10 dates before having sex.....what happens when you finally have sex and it turns our your partner is a cold fish? Or doesn't enjoy doing the things you like? Or requests things that you don't like? Or is unable to satisfy you at all?

I feel like how they make out and such is pretty indicative of how they are in bed. Vast majority of the time anyway in my experience.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Honestly It's not really that shocking or depressing to me. People are going hook up and be vapid when they're in their 20's and have access to so many partners in an intense place like NYC. It's part of growing up and figuring out what you want.

Now...if these same people are acting like this in their 30's...that's a different story. At that point they would need therapy, lol.

border

wait if it turns out you're not good at sex together you're just going to completely cut off communication with the person? why is it a waste of investment? just convert those shares into Friendship Stock instead of Lover Stock.

Who said anything about cutting someone off completely?

If there are dealbreaker issues in a relationship, I'd rather know them as quickly as possible rather than after a dozen dates. The conversion rates between Frienship Stock and Lover Stock are not that favorable, not to mention the considerably lower ROI on Friendship.

ameratsu

I thought the article was pretty interesting because tinder varies city to city, and each age group uses it differently.

I'm almost 30 and apart from the few who just want to hookup or do fwb, most my age in my area are fully in the husband-material boyfriend hunting mode.

Honestly It's not really that shocking or depressing to me. People are going hook up and be vapid when they're in their 20's and have access to so many partners in an intense place like NYC. It's part of growing up and figuring out what you want.

Now...if these same people are acting like this in their 30's...that's a different story. At that point they would need therapy, lol.

I'm 29. Until when can i continue to have casual sex before i set myself to therapy ?

Depends. Once the sex goes, will you want to remain with that person?

It's Tinder. We just want to get laid.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

huh? why?

“I’ll get a text that says, ‘Wanna fuck?’ ” says Jennifer, 22, a senior at Indiana University Southeast, in New Albany. “They’ll tell you, ‘Come over and sit on my face,’ ” says her friend, Ashley, 19.
Hey. That's my college. :c

HEY! THAT'S MY PICKUP LINE TOO.

J2 Cool

Ugh. This article has a weird anti-male slant.

“I cheated…. She found out by looking at my phone—rookie mistake, not deleting everything.”

It's really not that black and white. Both sexes use it in their own way, but it is about convenient, fast food culture.

I wasn't referring exclusively to Tinder.

You want to just get laid. Don't hide behind "we".

No point in comparing a date set on Tinder vs other type. It's like meeting a girl when you go out at night with a mindset. The app exists for a purpose. Off course its We. If other people use it for other reasons , its only normal because social interaction is the most natural thing in the world. But most people go on Tinder in the hope of getting laid.

For real guys. It's just Tinder. Like the real word

You're getting it confused with tumblr

For the record, I find Tinder to be a lot of fun. You meet some nice people, you meet some assholes. Most conversations are dull and end quickly, some are funny. Some people you meet in real life, some you don't. It's all gravy. For very social people it's amazing

And if you're racking up a lot of matches, a huge ego boost too

It's still called Grindr though, the original progenitor of Tinder.

I'm really tempted to use Tindr just to see what it's all about... but I'm married, so I don't know what I'd do with it.

Not that I expect to get much love, anyway. I'm kind of hideous.

I'm really tempted to use Tindr just to see what it's all about... but I'm married, so I don't know what I'd do with it.

Not that I expect to get much love, anyway. I'm kind of hideous.

You should use that excuse when your wife finds out and demands half of everything.

Malvolio

People should really act more like me. They don't, and that's what makes me feel so special. Let's all point at those that aren't like us and feel special! Yay!

Ugh. This article has a weird anti-male slant.

It's really not that black and white. Both sexes use it in their own way, but it is about convenient, fast food culture.

I had to laugh at some of the tone in it. Also the idea that New York in any way resembles the rest of the US when it comes to the dating scene. Everything I've heard anecdotally from friends, and I swear I've seen this backed up by other articles, is that New York is the polar opposite of San Fran when it comes to the Male-Female ratio, New York men are swimming in it.

MogCakes

Hm. I've been dating my GF for nearly 2 months and we've been on multiple dates almost weekly, and neither of us have brought up sex...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom