• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for August 2009

Chrange

Banned
pseudocaesar said:
Can anyone explain how ODST will drive hardware sales? Sure it will sell gangbusters in Software..but why would ODST be anyones first game to get on the system if you didn't get it for Halo 3 in the first place? Just curious, not trying to bait fyi.

I think it's been said before, but the game will come with a huge marketing push. That's what moves more consoles - not the game, the awareness.

AniHawk

Sipowicz said:
i agree with you 100%. nintendo is fucked, especially in terms of western support

That's not really what I meant. I meant it's the last of the actual system sellers. I don't think Microsoft has one outside of Natal+software and Sony's only one outside their own motion solution is Gran Turismo 5.

totally gimped 2 year old port of modern warfare and an outsourced dead space lightgun game . that's the extent of support from the two biggest western publishers in the world. shit's embarrasing

Okay, first off- Extraction's a good game. Get over it. Second, EA Sports's thrown quite some hefty support behind the system with Grand Slam Tennis, EA Sports Active, and Tiger Woods 10. Third, that's not the extent of support for the system. It's very rare to find exclusives from any one third party for just any one system these days, yet the Wii seems to get a lot.

Yes Boss!

Guess I'll go out on a limb here and say the the Wii will outsell the PS3 and 360 every month through the end of the year...including September.

omg rite said:
Uh, yeah, I know. You're talking about this upcoming November/December. And you're acting as if Wii is going to have trouble being ahead of PS3 and 360, which it won't. Even without a price cut, it will be the top selling console.
I don't see that happening, but I'm not sure enough to make a bet on it. :)

Xeke

Banned
AniHawk said:
That's not really what I meant. I meant it's the last of the actual system sellers. I don't think Microsoft has one outside of Natal+software and Sony's only one outside their own motion solution is Gran Turismo 5.

I feel like the first real Wii Zelda will sell a good deal of systems.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Scottlarock said:
I don't see that happening, but I'm not sure enough to make a bet on it. :)

I'm very curious as to what leads you believe both 360 and PS3 will outsell Wii in November in December.

AniHawk

Scottlarock said:
I LOVE NSMB on the DS( my fav game on the ds), and will buy it on my wii, but I wouldn't buy a wii for it like I did my DS. the game fits more on the ds, which in my eyes is more like a super-super-nes player. retro styles games work on it, but on my console I'm looking for something different and poly pushing. I believe it will do worse then smash brothers and galaxy.

NSMB DS isn't a very good looking game. In fact, it's quite ugly and the 2.5D look should have been saved for stuff like Yoshi's Story where it's a style. People like 2D Mario because it's familiar and recognizable, not because it looks good. Very importantly, the game plays like an old Mario game. You hold the controller sideways and run and jump like the NES pad. Unlike SSBB and SMG, this is easily accessible and something most people should be able to pick up and play in a store.

Xeke said:
I feel like the first real Wii Zelda will sell a good deal of systems.

It's possible. I think Zelda's system-selling power might have been used up during launch, but it wasn't very heavily advertised in particular despite selling a ton. The people I see it winning over would be the PS360 crowd, or those still skeptical of motion controls, and I don't think it's a very big audience, really. The game would probably have to be bundled with motion plus and/or have some sort of local multiplayer to move copies anyway.

unomas

Banned
What happened to the days of the Wii outselling the HD twins combined? Now were on the verge potentially of one of those machines inching closer to Wii numbers the last few months. The bottom line is if you don't have the software it will catch up to you at some point. I'm shocked Nintendo hasn't called for a price cut yet, but maybe they'll see what happens during the holiday season first. MS is stupid for not dropping the price of the arcade, they were better off with 3 SKU's, unless they plan on introducing a new SKU when the 60 gigs are gone. I'm tempted to trade up to a PS3 slim if that price comes down some more, and I've been an Xbox guy since launch of the original. Interesting times ahead, free Blu Ray out of the box, free wifi, and free online gaming. MS better get with the program soon.

DR2K

Banned
Chrange said:
I think it's been said before, but the game will come with a huge marketing push. That's what moves more consoles - not the game, the awareness.

Halo 3 itself only managed to push 100k in units of the month of release, and the awareness for a true sequel was much bigger than anything I've seen for ODST. If you honestly think ODST is going to do what giants like GTAIV and Halo 3 couldn't, then you really should reevaluate the way you think.

Banned
Chrange said:

I think this is the right answer.

DR2K said:
Halo 3 itself only managed to push 100k in units of the month of release, and the awareness for a true sequel was much bigger than anything I've seen for ODST. If you honestly think ODST is going to do what giants like GTAIV and Halo 3 couldn't, then you really should reevaluate the way you think.

Sept 2006 = 260,000
Sept 2007 = 528,000

omg rite said:
I'm very curious as to what leads you believe both 360 and PS3 will outsell Wii in November in December.
just the trend, I see the wii as something new, and friends come over and say this is new and cool, but the fade faded or is fading. I have owned and still own a wii ( sold one) , still own one for wii fit. I don't think they will have another hit like wii fit, which I think is amazing and different, but a fad. and the trend is wii is dying.

Xeke

Banned
Scottlarock said:
just the trend, I see the wii as something new, and friends come over and say this is new and cool, but the fade faded or is fading. I have owned and still own a wii ( sold one) , still own one for wii fit. I don't think they will have another hit like wii fit, which I think is amazing and different, but a fad. and the trend is wii is dying.

Yeah, it's dying, thats why it has the #2 game this month. Are you kidding me?

If the Wii is dying than the 360/PS3 are dead men walking.

DR2K

Banned
omg rite said:

Price and value. The perception of the Wii has gone straight to hell. Sales continue to spiral downward, while X360 and now PS3 see growth. Another Mario game and a slight upgrade to Wii fit isn't going to appeal to new users as seen with WSR. Unless Nintendo does something drastic, then things will only continue in the same direction.

mujun

pseudocaesar said:
Oh god. I dont believe there is a gif or jpg or any image format for that matter that can accurately convey the amount of epic failure in these posts. It was clearly a sarcastic reply to someone elses sarcastic reply to my first one. How? HOW? It boggles the mind you people didn't get that.

You are a victim of your own persona.

ZeoVGM

Banned
DR2K said:
Price and value. The perception of the Wii has gone straight to hell. Sales continue to spiral downward, while X360 and now PS3 see growth. Another Mario game and a slight upgrade to Wii fit isn't going to appeal to new users as seen with WSR. Unless Nintendo does something drastic, then things will only continue in the same direction.

No it hasn't.

AniHawk said:
NSMB DS isn't a very good looking game. In fact, it's quite ugly and the 2.5D look should have been saved for stuff like Yoshi's Story where it's a style. People like 2D Mario because it's familiar and recognizable, not because it looks good. Very importantly, the game plays like an old Mario game. You hold the controller sideways and run and jump like the NES pad. Unlike SSBB and SMG, this is easily accessible and something most people should be able to pick up and play in a store.

NSMB ds is ugly ? GTFO, game is amazing. and the wii game looks awesome! yoshis story? really?

Scottlarock said:
NSMB ds is ugly ? GTFO, game is amazing. and the wii game looks awesome! yoshis story? really?

The game doesn't look like anything special. Wii game is running on the same engine. Wish they made it look like the 2D segments from Galaxy, now that was awesome. Or at least SSBB look.

Xeke said:
Yeah, it's dying, thats why it has the #2 game this month. Are you kidding me?

If the Wii is dying than the 360/PS3 are dead men walking.
wii sports plus? I love wii sports, but isn't this like counting wii play as a serious game?

DR2K

Banned
omg rite said:
No it hasn't.

Why isn't it selling 500-700k units a month anymore? Why are sales declining for a $250 Wii, but going up for $2-300 systems? Economy can only take so much blame.

AniHawk

Scottlarock said:

This

yos6.jpg

looks better than this

new-super-mario-bros-20060509020139042_640w.jpg

Scottlarock said:
wii sports plus? I love wii sports, but isn't this like counting wii play as a serious game?

Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play are very different animals. The point of Wii Play was to sell a new controller at a higher price. The point of WSR is to sell a brand new peripheral. It has more in common with Wii Fit than Wii Play.

AniHawk said:
This

yos6.jpg

looks better than this

Wii Sports Resort and Wii Play are very different animals. The point of Wii Play was to sell a new controller at a higher price. The point of WSR is to sell a brand new peripheral. It has more in common with Wii Fit than Wii Play.
how about wii fit plus? and I'd rather play the bottom game.

AniHawk

Scottlarock said:
how about wii fit plus?

That'll probably sell really well, a couple million or more, since it's really cheap and Nintendo may phase out the original Wii Fit for this. Not a system seller. It's mostly selling to people who already have the original and it'll try to rejuvenate interest in the series for those that haven't bought it yet.

and I'd rather play the bottom game.

So would I, but the top one is a better looking game, which is my point. The 3D in NSMB is not used well. In Yoshi Story, it's part of a style. In NSMB DS, it's the best they could do with all the different animations needed.

I think NSMB Wii should have been cel-shaded or high-quality sprites, but the fact that it looks like it does will attract more people than it will turn away.

AniHawk said:
This

yos6.jpg

looks better than this

I agree with the look of the games.

Yes Boss!

Scottlarock said:
how about wii fit plus? and I'd rather play the bottom game.

Agree. Though I never got that far in Yoshi's Story to see it in motion. Plastic look is terrible...almost as bad as the early look of 360 games.

Wii Fit Plus is my big Nintendo game for the fall. Unless I order the Japanese Sin and Punishment 2.

Yes Boss! said:
Agree. Though I never got that far in Yoshi's Story to see it in motion. Plastic look is terrible...almost as bad as the early look of 360 games.

Imagine NSMBWii with the look of Galaxy (remember the 2D segments), or at least SSBB look.

AniHawk said:
That'll probably sell really well, a couple million or more, since it's really cheap and Nintendo may phase out the original Wii Fit for this. Not a system seller. It's mostly selling to people who already have the original and it'll try to rejuvenate interest in the series for those that haven't bought it yet.

So would I, but the top one is a better looking game, which is my point. The 3D in NSMB is not used well. In Yoshi Story, it's part of a style. In NSMB DS, it's the best they could do with all the different animations needed.

I think NSMB Wii should have been cel-shaded or high-quality sprites, but the fact that it looks like it does will attract more people than it will turn away.
I get your point, but I still believe its going to be 360>Ps3>>Wii. I think the 360 will take it, but the PS3 bluray is a wild card with how many HD are sold. wii would be number one but without even having the option of HD, its done. I see the trend contining. wii last place nov/dec.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Scottlarock said:
I get your point, but I still believe its going to be 360>Ps3>>Wii. I think the 360 will take it, but the PS3 bluray is a wild card with how many HD are sold. wii would be number one but without even having the option of HD, its done. I see the trend contining. wii last place nov/dec.

Wait... you're saying that the only reason you aren't projecting the Wii to take first place is the fact that it isn't HD?

There may be several reasons to expect poor Wii sales, but that seems like the least likely of them all -- especially if you imply that that would be the only reason for it not to control sales.

Son of Godzilla said:
Well the slim did fix the.... errors... that it's been having...

Eh, it allows them to rebrand the thing, which is better than nothing.

Yeah that's kind of my feeling about it too. I have a general idea of why it's better than the fatty but to me the biggest improvement is that it's a lot cheaper, and I think that one will resonate the most with consumers because... er, well price drops just do usually. Should be really interesting to see the numbers this month.

Paracelsus

People are getting ahead of themselves, underestimating the wii.

The fact is not "what outsells what", the fact is that it might easily be a close call every single month, which won't change the status quo in the U.S. It could be sort of a help outside the U.S. for Sony (MS is "wide open" in Europe and Japan), but that's it.

DavidDayton said:
Wait... you're saying that the only reason you aren't projecting the Wii to take first place is the fact that it isn't HD?

There may be several reasons to expect poor Wii sales, but that seems like the least likely of them all -- especially if you imply that that would be the only reason for it not to control sales.
not the only reason, but a major reason.
edit: they could have create a crazy powerful system that only out-puted to 480p to SD which would have been rad but they didn't.

vesp

DevelopmentArrested said:
shipped /=\ sold?

BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* 360 SQUARE ENIX INC Aug-09 303,000
BATMAN: ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3 SQUARE ENIX INC Aug-09 290,000

That difference is incredible. I wonder how much the Joker DLC factors in that.
I bought the ps3 version when I normally buy multiplatform games on 360 for Joker. It's not the biggest thing in the world, but all things being equal I'll buy the game with more content. This is why we see exclusive dlc.
I'm part of the problem

AniHawk

Scottlarock said:

There's nothing here that really supports this idea. Wii sales are no longer dropping week over week and the holiday season is prime time for stuff like NSMB Wii to sell systems. The 360 and the PS3 would have to start selling way more week over week than the Wii for your prediction to come true, and I don't see how that happens.

unomas

Banned
I know I should have picked up Batman already, I'm a little shocked by the low sales with that nearly 2 million sold number floating around today. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, got the day off might as well waste away on what seems to be an awesome game.

AniHawk

unomas said:
I know I should have picked up Batman already, I'm a little shocked by the low sales with that nearly 2 million sold number floating around today. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow, got the day off might as well waste away on what seems to be an awesome game.

600k is from 3 days of sales. Plus, the 2 million number is shipped, or sold to retailers. With good word of mouth, I can see it hitting its shipment numbers by the end of the year.

pseudocaesar said:
Can anyone explain how ODST will drive hardware sales? Sure it will sell gangbusters in Software..but why would ODST be anyones first game to get on the system if you didn't get it for Halo 3 in the first place? Just curious, not trying to bait fyi.

I still think halo 3 is selling consoles. After like 2 months on the market halo 3 was already outselling KZ2.

I think halo 3 is continuing to sell consoles even now. ODST looks like a totally different experience (talking about the ads). I think with all the hype and advertising surrounding it's release it will push some consoles.

Will it have as big an effect as the slim? fuck no. However i could see it move 50,000 or more.

AniHawk said:

That looks better than pretty much every game that has come before or after it so that's not saying much.

AdventureRacing said:
I still think halo 3 is selling consoles. After like 2 months on the market halo 3 was already outselling KZ2.

I think halo 3 is continuing to sell consoles even now. ODST looks like a totally different experience (talking about the ads). I think with all the hype and advertising surrounding it's release it will push some consoles.

Will it have as big an effect as the slim? fuck no. However i could see it move 50,000 or more.
Halo 3 was at 50% userbase penetration in the US like a week after it released, it's been selling consoles since the 360 launched.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Fossil Fighters was mostly being sold to younger kids. Asking for it by name. When an 8-year old is asking for a game by name, that can only mean that Nintendo was running commercials on kids TV. I'm almost positive that's why Battle of the Giants: Dinosaurs has been selling well, too.

Lesson learned. Dinosaurs + Kids TV advertising = Your game will sell well.

Little surprised on how low Metroid is. Guess our preorder numbers were a bit higher than average for a title. I probably should have expected that considering that the t-shirt and poster preorder bonuses weren't exactly tiddlywinks.

Top Bottom