• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave shmups coming to Steam - Winter 2015, published by Degica

@MUWANdo

Banned
SonyToo!™;177107309 said:
Besides IIRC CAVE's initial intentions were to release their STGs on XBLA but they chose physical instead. Why? Not sure but MS were constantly changing the rules and direction for XBLA at that time.

Yeah, this is an important point to make: MS kept flip-flopping on XBLA and at some point they decided they didn't want it to become a "dumping ground" for emulated games, so companies who were planning to re-release their back catalogue that way had to re-evaluate their plans. I've heard Guwange was pretty much done years before it came out, and than Dangun Feveron XBLA was essentially finished but never came out.

SOME-MIST

Good call on the STG Weekly video above. Took it upon myself to make the below handy list for anyone who wants to dive deep into Cave's games. STG Weekly does a weekly(-ish) stream where they watch high level/high score playthroughs and provide commentary, often with the player as a guest if possible.

icarus's special demonstration videos are really amazing too - they're actually my favorite. I pmed him to make a dvd out of it for me to buy but never got a response lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzChEV2uZKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL3Q6CR-WjM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9BY5QqfpMg

Durante

Like others have said, this should have happened years ago, but it's still a good thing that it's finally happening. I'll get all of them.

mdsfx

From Blackbird on the shmups forum:

"Well. I didn't think we were going to announce this quite so quickly, but here we are. Shin is one of my co-workers, and this announcement is for real. CAVE is developing a game for PC. Without giving away too much, it's a real arcade game and a fan favorite, so you can put your fears of bad mobile ports or freemium games aside. You can expect the same level of high quality seen in our other shooters like Crimzon Clover and XIIZeal.

Sorry for the website - web design is not one of my strong points -_-."

Dremark

Banned
dangun feveron is so damn good... and it's really unlike any of their other titles. if I had to go with weakest title, imo it would be guwange or ddpdfk. heaven is here inside my soul!

I misstated what I meant. DF is my least favorite of CAVE's games in the genre, I don't think it's a bad game or a weak one inherently, I'm just not that big of a fan of it compared to the other games.

I still like it enough that I'd buy it off Steam for the type of price I'm expecting it to launch for if it's ported and I'd even consider it if it were a full 360 disc release, although I'm not totally sure if I'd drop the cash.

microfolk

I'll buy every single one of them at full price on day one until they'll port Ibara, I want to play Ibara so bad it isn't even funny.

And yes please everyone watch STGWeekly's videos, it's an incredible channel and I can't wait for their next video, this hiatus is lasting forever. ;_;

I always thought Touhou: Shoot the Bullet to be a good primer.

I don't know about that, StB is an incredible game and it's excellent for training but it's 100% focused on pattern dodging, it doesn't touch a lot of other things one needs to play well in the genre.
I'm a shitplayer though so my opinion should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Appreciate the recommend. Will check out.
icarus's special demonstration videos are really amazing too - they're actually my favorite. I pmed him to make a dvd out of it for me to buy but never got a response lol

Native ports confirmed? Cave doing the ports themselves? Extremely vague hints at the possibility of a new game?

My wallet. My heart. My wallet's heart.

Yeah, this is an important point to make: MS kept flip-flopping on XBLA and at some point they decided they didn't want it to become a "dumping ground" for emulated games, so companies who were planning to re-release their back catalogue that way had to re-evaluate their plans. I've heard Guwange was pretty much done years before it came out, and than Dangun Feveron XBLA was essentially finished but never came out.

The Raiden Fighters Anthology for Xbox (the original) and DDP/Dangun Feveron for XBLA were two losses for me that really disappointed me. Luckily RFA actually came out, but that DF thing always confused me. I wonder if they still have the code sitting somewhere.

Everybody who's asking for Ibara now has to commit to clearing Stage 4 on one continuous credit if it ever comes out.

Good luck

I'll do it!
Then give up after a month of dying to the stage 2 boss.

Also, judging from blackbird's post on shmupsfarm, I take it CAVE is developing the port themselves? Crossing my fingers for arcade-accurate slowdown on whatever gets released.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I love how PC has become a major STG platform overnight.

I really need a Steam box or a better gaming PC hooked to my TV...

Also, judging from blackbird's post on shmupsfarm, I take it CAVE is developing the port themselves? Crossing my fingers for arcade-accurate slowdown on whatever gets released.

Seems that way. Now I am kind of hoping they don't do one of the big titles as their first game. Sacrifice a smaller title to learn the finer details of porting to PC/Steam.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Seems that way. Now I am kind of hoping they don't do one of the big titles as their first game. Sacrifice a smaller title to learn the finer details of porting to PC/Steam.
I volunteer Deathsmiles IIX. After all, the hardware should be more or less similar, no?

Wonko_C

is there any good guide to be introduced in shoot em up games? in the sense of how to play them

Danmaku Simulation is an excellent training game, it's in Japanese, but you can still understand and learn how to play even without knowing the language, and it's free to boot.

Wow, this thread blew up quickly! To answer some concerns in this thread:

Yes, CAVE is really coming to Steam.

No, it's not going to be a half-baked iOS port. The port appears to be a faithful recreation of a fan-favorite arcade game. I can't say yet if it's 100% arcade accurate because I've never had the opportunity to play the PCB of this particular game in person, but there will be opportunities prior to the launch of the game for players to evaluate the game for themselves and to assist with making the game as accurate as it can be.

Pricing hasn't been finalized yet, but historically our games have (in my opinion) been very affordable. For reference, our upcoming port of Eschatos will be 15 USD (or 20 USD for deluxe ver.) and that was originally a 40 to 60 dollar game.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have - if I can answer them, I will.

More information when I get it!

Cheers folks.

Shizuka

No, it's not going to be a half-baked iOS port. The port appears to be a faithful recreation of a fan-favorite arcade game. I can't say yet if it's 100% arcade accurate because I've never had the opportunity to play the PCB of this particular game in person, but there will be opportunities prior to the launch of the game for players to evaluate the game for themselves and to assist with making the game as accurate as it can be.

Pricing hasn't been finalized yet, but historically our games have (in my opinion) been very affordable. For reference, our upcoming port of Eschatos will be 15 USD (or 20 USD for deluxe ver.) and that was originally a 40 to 60 dollar game.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have - if I can answer them, I will.

Cheers folks.

So the Steam releases will be arcade ports instead of 360 ports?

Cheers folks.

Any chance that the game (or games) coming to GOG? I'm happy that CAVE is bringing their stuff to PC, but this is the only thing I'm genuinely curious about at the moment.

Either way, I'm excited to hear more.

mdsfx

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

Durante

Now I'd just like to buy a Touhou collection on Steam for €50 or so and STG availability issues would be solved.

Dachande

[snip]

Something I want to clear up, actually - the announcement page and some of the language used here suggests that Cave are porting multiple titles to Steam, where in other places you (and others) say that Cave are working on 'a' thing, a single title.

Are they solely working on one title to be out by Winter 2015? Are there plans for more titles to be ported based on the work done for this port?

It's great that Cave are bringing something, regardless of what it is, but most people are getting excited about having their full catalogue (or as near as we can get in regards to licences) available in one place rather than just one.

Can we confirm whether this is the case or not, please?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Y'know, the crazy thing I realized is, there's basically not an arcade shmup that would disappoint me when they reveal what's being brought over. I mean, yeah, I'd rather see Dodonpachi than Muchi Muchi Pork, but would I be mad about Muchi Muchi Pork? No. I'd eat that shit up.

Tain

Cheers folks.

1. You guys rule.

2. I fully expect this port to hit all the basic PC port functionality checkboxes (360 controller support, TATE support, etc).

3. I'm glad that you guys sound like you're prepared for post-launch support, as slowdown accuracy is something that may take a patch or two.

4. please list all Cave PCBs you've played in person lol

Really though, it hardly matters what game it is. Not one of their arcade games could be considered a disappointment.

@Smite Epic memes, bro! As for the OSTs, I can't confirm yet, but we've done OSTs for CC and Eschatos, so it's likely.

@LiK Tate is in the game.

@Dachande There are a lot of rumors about this. Only one game is 100% confirmed for now. There's been talk about a second game, but it's not set in stone by any means and I don't want to make promises I can't keep later (hence "a" game).

Beyond that, it really depends on how well this release does. In a perfect scenario, the game would be a smash hit and we'd get the opportunity to localize more games. Expecting the entire library is a tad ambitious though ^_^;

@Tain Hmmm... tough question.

CAVE games I've played: DonPachi, DoDonPachi, DFK BL, DDP DaiOuJou, Ketsui, Mushi, Mushi Futari, Espgaluda, DDP 2 Bee Storm, Muchi Muchi Pork.

Cave games I've played *on the PCB*: DDP 2 Bee Storm (I think?)

BocoDragon

Just speaking practically: I'm more willing to shell out money for a game that hasn't recently been made available on region-free 360.

I'd love to double dip on some of the games I own on 360, but that definitely moves it into "wait for steam sale" territory. I'd be happy they're available for new players though, too.

Durante

So what would be everyone's favourite choice for "a" (hopefully first of many) game? I'd personally like Espgaluda best.

BocoDragon

So what would be everyone's favourite choice for "a" (hopefully first of many) game? I'd personally like Espgaluda best.
I'd be most pleased with Espgaluda 1 or Mushi 1, personally. Can't go wrong with any Dodonpachi either.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Dodonpachi. It's never gotten a good home port, but is one of Cave's best and most accessible games. I think it'd have a lot of potential, and no complaints about lolis.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The only correct choice, and the reason why I imported an NTSC-J X360
twice

mushigif_half_2x_slowj4ilv.gif

SOME-MIST

Dangun Feveron. I know it's not going to happen first, but I'd really like an accurate port so I don't feel obligated to hold onto the board.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
HOW THE FUCK DID I MISS THIS?! :O

I just hope they'll run fine for me since for whatever reason Crimson Clover's (not Cave's but still Degica's afaik?) framerate is all over the place on my rig and basically unplayable, I was never able to work that out (yeah my htpc can handle the game more than fine)

Can't wait to play all the J360 exclusives like Mushi HD... I'm salivating, best news ever!

Top Bottom