• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XV Active Time Report 8.0 [PAX Prime 2015]

What are you expecting from this ATR?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Famassu

Wasn't it always supposed to be like this though?
Yes, though when it was still Versus XIII they had separate bigger zones instead of even trying to make it completely seamless. Now they are aiming for a completely seamless experience. From what they've said in the past (maybe around late 2014/early 2015), I've gotten the impression that they might've gotten the overworld to be completely seamless, but they still had some areas they were working on that they were maybe having a bit trouble streaming seamlessly while travelling (some of the bigger cities etc.). And this is also one of the problems they are probably facing with airships as well. Flying over an area is so much quicker than any other mode of transport so it might strain their streaming system to the point where it constantly fails to load terrain a bit further away without massive pop-up and such.

benzy

SE France hinting at a big trailer for Paris Games Week on the scale of e3 2013??

Fan in reply to the Chocobo teaser image:

-Louis Kémy Mbelek
Bon j'espère un bon trailer de 4-5 minutes pour le TGS ^^
Good I hope a good 4-5 minute trailer for the tgs ^^

"-Square Enix France
Hello Monsieur, on montrera de nouvelles choses et sous différents formats mais cela ne sera pas comme à L'E3 2013. Pour ce genre de choses, cela va se passera quelques semaines plus tard.
Hello sir, we will show new things and in different formats, but this will not be like at the E3 2013. for this kind of things, this will happen a few weeks later.

-Louis Kémy Mbelek
Quelques semaines plus tard ou plutôt quelques mois plus tard, précisément au mois de Mars ?
A few weeks later or rather a few months later, precisely in the month of March?

-Square Enix France
Le mois de Mars sera un mois de révélations, mais il se passera des choses avant wink emoticon
The month of March will be a month of revelations, but it will happen things before. *wink emoticon

DeSolos

SE France hinting at a big trailer for Paris Games Week on the scale of e3 2013??

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

"-Square Enix France
Hello Monsieur, on montrera de nouvelles choses et sous différents formats mais cela ne sera pas comme à L'E3 2013. Pour ce genre de choses, cela va se passera quelques semaines plus tard.
Hello sir, we will show new things and in different formats, but this will not be like at the E3 2013. for this kind of things, this will happen a few weeks later.

-Louis Kémy Mbelek
Quelques semaines plus tard ou plutôt quelques mois plus tard, précisément au mois de Mars ?
A few weeks later or rather a few months later, precisely in the month of March?

-Square Enix France
Le mois de Mars sera un mois de révélations, mais il se passera des choses avant wink emoticon
The month of March will be a month of revelations, but it will happen things before. *wink emoticon

40035_ORIG-that_makes_me_moist.jpg

Koozek

SE France hinting at something big for Paris Games Week on the scale of e3 2013??

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

"-Square Enix France

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

-Square Enix France
Nice!

"-Wants to move away from the overexaggerated, stylized way of depicting characters' emotion and interaction, more towards grounded, believable and human characters."

This has been a sticking point for me with recent Final Fantasy games (FF13 saga, Type-0). I really hope they put their money where their mouth is.

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

"-Square Enix France

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

-Square Enix France

giphy.gif

wmlk

That's like not even true for me at all.

One of the least hype new FF games.Probably the one I am least excited for and most worried about.

Combat sucks right now.

I remember quite different impressions from you when the demo had released. I think it's the fatigue from the demo and the recent marketing hurdles leaving a sour taste in people's mouths.

Right now, it probably feels like grinding ad infinitum; there's no progression in the demo aside from the Phantom Swords.

I'm not sold on the combat either, but I think the recent change in people's opinions on the demo is an unique case obviously. I wouldn't be worried too much, tbh. FFXIII added the Stagger mechanic after the demo, which released only 6 months prior to the final release. That's easily my favourite from the series.

HeelPower

I remember quite different impressions from you when the demo had released. I think it's the fatigue from the demo and the recent marketing hurdles leaving a sour taste in people's mouths.

Right now, it probably feels like grinding ad infinitum; there's no progression in the demo aside from the Phantom Swords.

I'm not sold on the combat either, but I think the recent change in people's opinions on the demo is an unique case obviously. I wouldn't be worried too much, tbh. FFXIII added the Stagger mechanic after the demo, which released only 6 months prior to the final release. That's easily my favourite from the series.

You're right.I liked it a lot actually when I first played it ,but then I played BloodBorne and Witcher 3.

When I went back to Duscae 2.0,the combat was super clunky and far from satisfying.

Controls are stuck somewhere between turnbased and realtime which is awkward.Non of the enemies are well designed encounters except maybe the soldiers.It needs a lot and I mean a lot of work.

DJIzana

You're right.I liked it a lot actually when I first played it ,but then I played BloodBorne and Witcher 3.

When I went back to Duscae 2.0,the combat was super clunky and far from satisfying.

Controls are stuck somewhere between turnbased and realtime which is awkward.Non of the enemies are well designed encounters except maybe the soldiers.It needs a lot and I mean a lot of work.

Why do people constantly feel the need to compare a FULL GAME to a DEMO?

Seriously? Ugh...

Why do people constantly feel the need to compare a FULL GAME to a DEMO?

Seriously? Ugh...

I don't see the issue. All he's saying is the combat of Bloodborne and The Witcher made Duscae's combat come off as weak in comparison. It's not like he's making any judgement on the final game based off of that.

DJIzana

I don't see the issue. All he's saying is the combat of Bloodborne and The Witcher made Duscae's combat come off as weak in comparison. It's not like he's making any judgement on the final game based off of that.

I see an issue. You're missing out on a LOT of combat features. It's stupid to compare something like that. You don't have all the skills in the demo, the gambits aren't implemented yet, hell, magic isn't even in yet. There might even be some other combat elements that we don't even know about.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I see an issue. You're missing out on a LOT of combat features. It's stupid to compare something like that. You don't have all the skills in the demo, the gambits aren't implemented yet, hell, magic isn't even in yet. There might even be some other combat elements that we don't even know about.

Perhaps SE should have waited to release a demo until they had more features ready to be played with.

What part of "not passing judgement on the final game" didn't you understand? He's only talking about the demo.

HeelPower

What part of "not passing judgement on the final game" didn't you understand? He's only talking about the demo.

Well the barebones foundations of the demo aren't too great.

Will the final game be better ? Hell yeah it should be.It must be and it has to be better than what we have in the demo,otherwise it would spell a disaster for the final product.

The more I play other modern games,the more I realize how Naive my first impressions of the demo were : It needs a lot of work.

No leveling up summons huh? That's kind of a bummer, though I still have hopes they'll tie into customization through granting Noctis some of their powers.

sappyday

I still don't see much of a problem with the demo. Considering how small that location is comparative to the entire map and in that small location there are 3 cool locations of interest. Combat could be better and it will be better. The basic foundation is there and it's most likely not going to change though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I still don't see much of a problem with the demo. Considering how small that location is comparative to the entire map and in that small location there are 3 cool locations of interest. Combat could be better and it will be better. The basic foundation is there and it's most likely not going to change though.

Honestly? The biggest problem was fighting large enemies. It was too clunky and long-winded in the demo.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Perhaps SE should have waited to release a demo until they had more features ready to be played with.

They should have released the demo in a more complete state in Mar 2016 instead or this year. They could even have released Type 0 in 2016 (and maybe make some more upgrades for it) if one wants to say that the demo was used to sell Type 0.

Honestly? The biggest problem was fighting large enemies. It was too clunky and long-winded in the demo.
There's a lot of stuff missing that would make fighting larger enemies a lot easier to manage other than relying on a summon or solo Noctis. Granted, in the large scope of things summons may just end up being a requirement to take down larger enemies. Who knows.

Keyword here is "demo".

The demo lacked the skills and attacks required to take down large enemies. I don't think SE is stupid enough to create a game with large enemies that are not fun to take down with crazy and fun to use skills. In hindsight, adding Catoblepas was a mistake as it gave the wrong impression to people about aerial combat.

DeSolos

Keyword here is "demo".

The demo lacked the skills and attacks required to take down large enemies. I don't think SE is stupid enough to create a game with large enemies that are not fun to take down with crazy and fun to use skills. In hindsight, adding Catoblepas was a mistake as it gave the wrong impression to people about aerial combat.

Different skills and attack types will help a lot. One of the worst parts about fighting the large enemies is the monotony of the ravage combo. Alternatively, the Armiger Warp Strike, as cool as it looks, can be just as monotonous as it encourages you to get in a loop of using it, waiting for MP to recharge, and using it again.

I'm also hoping, and I know this might be asking a lot, for a Shadow of the Colossus/Dragon's Dogma style mounting system that lets you climb on the enemies to attack weak points. I could even see it being used purely to force large enemies into a staggered state that would allow you to actually get some good, damage multiplied hits in.

Basically, FFXV could use a lot more systems that reward strategy and/or skill with higher damage so the battles don't take as long. Currently the Off Guard state doesn't feel like it makes much of a difference. In the case of Behemoth, it moves so randomly it's too hard to reliably take advantage of its weak points. Something like a mounting system would help in that instance.

Famassu

I could see larger enemy/boss fights being better simply by the virtue of (what I assume/hope will still happen):

1) damage output vs. enemy health being a bit better balanced
2) magic probably being a good way of dealing higher damage more constantly/helping in increasing DPS vs. having to constantly just wait for your MP cauge to be filled to use the Phantom Swords to deal even half-noticeable damage to the enemies. I also hope magic can have some debuffs & other effects that can help with some of the problematic aspects of the bigger enemies seen so far (i.e. if Blizzard would freeze a Behemoth on its tracks and stop it from running so chaotically for a few seconds, that would be swell)
3) party AI management will hopefully help make your team members at least somewhat useful so that they don't die immediately. Having all of the 3 AI party members deal damage instead of them all dying within 15 seconds of the fight will make the fight go much faster. Hopefully they'll also increase AI party members' damage output, if even by a little.
4) there being more skills & ways to customize your combat style with, some of them hopefully being more efficient & useful against large enemies than what we had in the demo, so all in all just having more tools at your disposal even in the systems we've already seen
5) stuff like climbing on enemies, aerial combat, more deadly coop attacks (like the one against the Iron Giant in the E3 2013 trailer) & such still being a thing
6) hopefully there still being mechanics we are completely unaware of. Stuff like Limit Breaks & special skills for the rest of the party that the player could somehow control, Staggering, Kill Sight and such could add some much needed variety, strategic depth & need to play skillfully that the fights need
7) the reality that we don't have to fight enemies like Catoblepas when we are as woefully weak as in the Episode Duscae demo
8) hopefully the larger enemies not being completely finished yet, so they might have some more interesting attack patterns that make fighting them more exciting
9) the systems actually being finished & general increase in how polished everything in the game is helping with making the combat feel better than it currently does

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest

I agree. But ARR manages huge battles same way. Visually at least, look at the steps of faith battle for example. I haven't heard you complaining there :p

raven777

It was pretty dumb for them to add that Catoplebas fight when the game's aerial battle system is not even in place. Behemoth fight was already bad enough.

It does have nice graphics to look at up close...but that's about it.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I really don't think there's a solution here btw for fights against bigger monsters. The BS is not really a full-time real battle system with active input from the player so the best we can hope for is an MMORPG type of fight like ARR or FFXII. Even "aerial fight" will be visually dumb when is the character moving automatically and hitting empty spots so... it's like any other RPG in history. Why being more harsh :p Look at DA:i's fights against Dragons, same thing. I never understand why if it's FF everything that has been done for 25 yrs is suddendly shit because is FF and when is another IP doing it daily no one cares or even notices. I understand FF aims at perfection but certain things are really hard to develop and this is one of them, Square Enix doesn't have a better magical hat than Bioware and co.

This is the second time you're comparing an MMO to a single player game.

Just stop.

Open world RPGs nowdays have more in common with MMORPGs than offline old RPGs. Comparisons are mandatory when the greatest inspiration for XII and Duscae are definitely MMORPGs.

raven777

I really don't think there's a solution here btw for fights against bigger monsters. The BS is not really a full-time real battle system with active input from the player so the best we can hope for is an MMORPG type of fight like ARR or FFXII. Even "aerial fight" will be visually dumb when is the character moving automatically and hitting empty spots so... it's like any other RPG in history. Why being more harsh :p Look at DA:i's fights against Dragons, same thing. I never understand why if it's FF everything that has been done for 25 yrs is suddendly shit because is FF and when is another IP doing it daily no one cares or even notices. I understand FF aims at perfection but certain things are really hard to develop and this is one of them, Square Enix doesn't have a better magical hat than Bioware and co.

Open world RPGs nowdays have more in common with MMORPGs than offline old RPGs. Comparisons are mandatory when the greatest inspiration for XII and Duscae are definitely MMORPGs.

Why are you comparing auto-attack MMORPG battle system with FFXV's action battle system? Does attack hit/miss depending on your stat accuracy in XV? Does attack land when enemies far enough so the actual attack animation doesn't hit the enemy but the damage still register like FFXIV's battle system? Do you still get hit when you properly avoid attacks like FFXIV?
FFXV is action RPG. Tabata keeps saying it's action RPG. Not target-based MMORPG, or battle systems inspired from MMORPG like FFXII or Xenoblade.

But there's only what, 2 large enemies in the demo? One you're meant to beat within the scripted sequence, and one that you're not really meant to be fighting at all, but they let us because why not?

I seriously doubt they're going to make fighting big enemies anything special, because it sure seems like they're going more Xenoblade than Dragon's Dogma.

You got a link to back up your statement? Otherwise, that is just an assumption on your end when it comes to the game. If anything, the game takes some inspiration from FFVIII. That is a game that not only involves vehicles, but also more realistic looking characters. One of the people that is working on FFXV I believe had helped on the FFVIII project as well years back. A lot of the older FF titles had world maps that were large, but couldn't be displayed in actual scope back then due to design style and technology limitations. FFXV is wanting to make the world map feel realistically large. A fantasy based on reality is exactly what FFXV is aiming for in many aspects.

Go_Ly_Dow

If they did the sensible thing by not releasing a demo 1.5 years from the games release, then they couldnt have bundled it with Type-0.

The key point here being "how can we make an more money of a game that isn't that appealing?"

Yes, this kind of games design also makes it so that every zone does not have to be filled to the brim with "meaningful" side-content like most western open-world games.
Since those give you most of the map avaible from the beginning, they fill them cause they need to make it so that spending 30+ hrs in doesn't feel empty.
In XV, however, since you're constantly moving forward, there just have to be an amount of side-content enough to have a light break from the story, and then move onte the next area.

Sounds much better to me imho.

Gotta agree. I've been worried about it being open world, but with this information, I think I can safely be hyped again. What matters most to me about FF is the world, and this makes me feel like they still know how to do it.

Conversely, combat is really low on my priority list for FFs. To me, combat in FF isn't fun because of itself; it's the systems surrounding it that make it fun - levels, abilities, skills, magic, summons, equipment, etc. It's how you attain them, how you use them, how they upgrade, how they work with each other, how they look. It doesn't matter if I'm scrolling through a list of magic in a command window or if I'm pressing a combination of buttons to cast a spell. As long as those surrounding systems are unique and rewarding, I'm happy. I'm sure others here feel similarly.

In regards to XV, we don't fully know how those surrounding systems work, only bits and pieces (unless I've missed something? quite possible). But, with some of the information from that new German interview (weapons upgradeable, cool skills with certain weapons), I think it's safe to say we don't have to worry.

Philippo

Conversely, combat is really low on my priority list for FFs. To me, combat in FF isn't fun because of itself; it's the systems surrounding it that make it fun - levels, abilities, skills, magic, summons, equipment, etc. It's how you attain them, how you use them, how they upgrade, how they work with each other, how they look. It doesn't matter if I'm scrolling through a list of magic in a command window or if I'm pressing a combination of buttons to cast a spell. As long as those surrounding systems are unique and rewarding, I'm happy. I'm sure others here feel similarly.

In regards to XV, we don't fully know how those surrounding systems work, only bits and pieces (unless I've missed something? quite possible). But, with some of the information from that new German interview (weapons upgradeable, cool skills with certain weapons), I think it's safe to say we don't have to worry.

Well we have:
-aerial combat
-magic
-weapon skills
-summons
-phantom swords
-(supposedly) party ai management
-(supposedly) monster climbing

plus out of the combat systems like party progression and weapon upgrading, and i think we can safely assume when all the systems will be in place it'll turn out a pretty deep game.

https://twitter.com/FFXVJP/status/643789065377046528

ATR in TGS 2015 program

- Summary of previous ATRs from GC to PAX
- Let's see "Dawn 2.0" trailer
- Detailed introduction of Luna and Regis with FFXV world
- Latest demo footage focusing on Chocobo and fishing feature
- Q&A session
- preview of next installment

Sounds pretty good. A lot of interesting questions were asked on Twitter, so I certainly hope the Q&A session is a meaty one.

oimori

I'm afraid that this will go without English translator.

Honestly, that would mean translation won't take a time and whole hour will be used fully so I also expect that, as a Japanese

https://twitter.com/FFXVJP/status/643789065377046528

ATR in TGS 2015 program

- Summary of previous ATRs from GC to PAX
- Let's see "Dawn 2.0" trailer
- Detailed introduction of Luna and Regis with FFXV world
- Latest demo footage focusing on Chocobo and fishing feature
- Q&A session
- preview of next installment

Okay this is looking pretty good. I am just not sure why they can't show a super varied trailer like Gravity Rush 2 just did. I mean, show us the variety and excitement of the game...Funnily enough I have seen a fair bit of the meat and potatoes of FFXV, which is fairly welcome, but very little of the FF formula...Epic and melodramtic story, crazy looking localles and creatures, awesome magic effects, etc, etc...FF games have never before seemed short on spectacle, but this one, aside from Ramuh Summon, has been...Versus seemed to have a ton of spectacle as well. They really changed the way this game has been presented in a very weird way.

artsi

Okay this is looking pretty good. I am just not sure why they can't show a super varied trailer like Gravity Rush 2 just did. I mean, show us the variety and excitement of the game...Funnily enough I have seen a fair bit of the meat and potatoes of FFXV, which is fairly welcome, but very little of the FF formula...Epic and melodramtic story, crazy looking localles and creatures, awesome magic effects, etc, etc...FF games have never before seemed short on spectacle, but this one, aside from Ramuh Summon, has been...Versus seemed to have a ton of spectacle as well. They really changed the way this game has been presented in a very weird way.

Because a lot of that stuff is not finished yet. For example they don't have magic effects to show.
Trailers you want will be coming when the game is closer to release, right now it's most likely a year away.

Koozek

A more substantial, "epic" trailer "on E3 2013-level" might be shown at Paris Games Week (Oct 28-Nov 1), see:

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

"-Square Enix France

-Louis Kémy Mbelek

-Square Enix France

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom