• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread

I have two, one for Pal, and one for Famicom. Playing the later. I actually just beat it, which was fun. I read that the final boss is different if you play on easy, so think I need to beat it again on easy tomorrow. Great game for sure!

Nice. Doesn't seems like the FC version is any cheaper than the NES version right now. Anyway, there aren't many copies on eBay and that's my only frame of reference.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Nice. Doesn't seems like the FC version is any cheaper than the NES version right now. Anyway, there aren't many copies on eBay and that's my only frame of reference.

It seems more and more people is discovering that Famicom-games have been cheaper for a while, thus skyrocketing the prices on them as well. Very unfortunate :(

bronk

Banned
Sweet Monster Party I have this game I wanna join in. Its the one with the kid that has a baseball bat right?

It seems more and more people is discovering that Famicom-games have been cheaper for a while, thus skyrocketing the prices on them as well. Very unfortunate :(

Still much cheaper in many cases, though. Related note: I have noticed that since PriceCharting doesn't track FDS games, there doesn't seem to be a "set" price on those like there are for NES carts. I feel like the baseline prices on those would be a lot higher if a site like PC tracked them. Basically what I'm saying is I think FDS games might be a little undervalued, relatively speaking. I've only recently began watching that market, though, so I could be way off in this observation.

Morfeo

Interesting. I have been afraid of getting into FDS, since the reliability of the discs supposedly isnt too great, but maybe this is the realization I need. But are there any worthwhile FDS-games that didnt get ported?

Little Samson is 1k+ for US version and 400 for Japanese version...WTF???

Pal-version is still relatively cheap, but Im sure its getting there. The us version was 600 this summer, and has increased a ton just in three months :(

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Interesting. I have been afraid of getting into FDS, since the reliability of the discs supposedly isnt too great, but maybe this is the realization I need. But are there any worthwhile FDS-games that didnt get ported?

Oh I thought it was just the FDS themselves that were just a bit wonky with the belts breaking are the disks unreliable as well?

D.Lo

Yes, the belt can break on the system, but can be replaced. And it may just be abuse, like CD drives. I've used the same FDS since about 1997 with no belt replacement.

The disks themselves? I've had almost no problems in 20 years. I've had more carts not work than disks.

Dozens.

But are there any worthwhile FDS-games that didnt get ported?

Seemingly quite a few. Others in this thread know more than I do.

Oh I thought it was just the FDS themselves that were just a bit wonky with the belts breaking are the disks unreliable as well?

Certainly not as rock solid as carts but the FDS fans in this thread say the reliability issues are overblown.

EDIT: D.Lo and others - what should we look for if we're searching for an FDS console on eBay? Just make sure it has a new belt and has been tested/working? Anything else to watch out for?

Morfeo

I dont have any personal experiences with it, but I thought I heard this. Im sure a lot of people in this thread can clarify.

D.Lo

I'm no expert on buying an FDS since I haven't bought one in almost 20 years ;) Mine cost $10 or something in the 90s.

But yeah I guess get one that has been serviced. Maybe I should get into the servicing FDS game, eBay and yahoo are full of broken ones.

I've watched some video tutorials and it looks a little tedious but not too difficult. I've thought that when it comes time to get one I might try to fix a broken one. (I'm getting ahead of myself here, though...)

Morfeo

Chrontendo has helped me discover lots of cool japan-only games, and while I disagree with him on a lot of stuff (like Zelda 2), I still think he does a pretty good job. Its basically the only show I follow though, well along with Generation 16 and Jeremy Parish' stuff.

OnPoint

The thread for Monster Party is combined with the normal thread for now. I feel like splitting them up wouldn't feel good since the idea is to inspire MORE NES/Fami convo, not splinter it. On that note, I'll actually try to post up my impressions tomorrow.

Teknoman

I'm getting my NGS RGB board modded before the month is out, so i'm kinda waiting till then to pop in Monster Party now. If I can resist anyway.

robot

I posted a bunch here
. I personally think the FDS is worth it for the Konami games - both the exclusives and stuff like Castlevania. Most issues I hear about with the FDS itself is related to the belt, but seems like most people selling them have replaced the belt already.

I bought my FDS with the belt replaced, but I have done belt replacements for a few friends. I'm not a fan of doing it though as it is a bit of a pain. I haven't run into any disk issues yet though.

Morfeo

I posted a bunch here
. I personally think the FDS is worth it for the Konami games - both the exclusives and stuff like Castlevania. Most issues I hear about with the FDS itself is related to the belt, but seems like most people selling them have replaced the belt already.

3 Konami classics that never made it to the US
Arumana no Kiseki
Ai Sensi Nicol
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa

The original SMB2 and it's pre-USA version
Super Mario Bros 2
Doki Doki Panic (this isn't as good as SMB USA but cool to see it's origin)

Now with save files!
Castlevania 1
Metroid

Now with 2 player co-op!
Green Beret (aka Rush N Attack)
Excitebike VS (I don't have this one yet)

And a 3 player Famicom Disk game?!! Use that expansion port!
Moero Twinbee

There's a bunch others (like 3D Hot Rally) but that's more than enough to keep you busy!

Thanks alot! Of these games, I guess I would be interested in Arumana no Kiseki and Ai Sensi Nico, I own all the others in some form or another. But both of those games look really good! Guess I do need to get on that FDS bandwagon eventually, eh. Is it easy to hook it up to an AV Famicom?

D.Lo

I looove the Konami Sports games on FDS. Some made it to the NES (Exciting Basket became Double Dribble) but were re-done and are missing the awesome FDS music during games!

Here's the full list of Konami Famicom Disk System games. I have the complete set.

Ai Senshi Nicol - 10/10 game with amazing music
Arumana no Kiseki - 10/10 game with amazing music
Falsion - awesome shooter
Meikyuu Jiin Dababa - Awesome puzzle platformer with amazing music
Gyruss - much better music than the cart version
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa - much better music than the cart version
Akumajo Dracula - Castlevania with saving
Moreo Twinbee - released in modified without three player support as Stinger
Smash Ping Pong (published by Nintendo) - very cool ping pong arcade game
Dracula 2 - Castlevania II with higher quality music but very frustrating load times!
Doremikko - music game that comes with a Keyboard
Esper Dream - Japanese RPG
Naze no Kabe - Awesome expansion on the Arkanoid formula, releaed as Crackout in PAL
Risa no Yōsei Densetsu - Japanese 'dating adventure'
Final Command: Red Fortress - was released in expanded form as Jackal - completely different levels here though, I think of it as a prequel.
Exciting Baseball - pretty good, cool music
Exciting Billiards - pretty good, cool music
Exciting Soccer - fantastic soccer game. Best of 8-bit.
Konami Tennis - really great tennis game. Best of 8-bit except Game Boy Tennis.
Konami Ice Hockey - Blades of Steel - basically the same as cart version
Green Beret - Rush'n Attack, same as cart version
The Goonies - Disk Writer only - same as cart
TwinBee - Disk Writer only - same as cart

Morfeo

I looove the Konami Sports games on FDS. Some made it to the NES (Exciting Basket became Double Dribble) but were re-done and are missing the awesome FDS music during games!

Here's the full list of Konami Famicom Disk System games. I have the complete set.

Ai Senshi Nicol - 10/10 game with amazing music
Arumana no Kiseki - 10/10 game with amazing music
Falsion - awesome shooter
Meikyuu Jiin Dababa - Awesome puzzle platformer with amazing music
Gyruss - much better music than the cart version
Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa - much better music than the cart version
Akumajo Dracula - Castlevania with saving
Moreo Twinbee - released in modified without three player support as Stinger
Smash Ping Pong (published by Nintendo) - very cool ping pong arcade game
Dracula 2 - Castlevania II with higher quality music but very frustrating load times!
Doremikko - music game that comes with a Keyboard
Esper Dream - Japanese RPG
Naze no Kabe - Awesome expansion on the Arkanoid formula, releaed as Crackout in PAL
Risa no Yōsei Densetsu - Japanese 'dating adventure'
Final Command: Red Fortress - was released in expanded form as Jackal - completely different levels here though, I think of it as a prequel.
Exciting Baseball - pretty good, cool music
Exciting Billiards - pretty good, cool music
Exciting Soccer - fantastic soccer game. Best of 8-bit.
Konami Tennis - really great tennis game. Best of 8-bit except Game Boy Tennis.
Konami Ice Hockey - Blades of Steel - basically the same as cart version
Green Beret - Rush'n Attack, same as cart version
The Goonies - Disk Writer only - same as cart
TwinBee - Disk Writer only - same as cart

WOW, thanks alot for this post, seems there is more interesting stuff than I thought for sure.

So I decided to get together everything to test out my PEXHDCAP card that I've had for the past few months, and figured the Famicom would be the first thing to try out since it has the NESRGB mod installed in it. I'm using the Scart to Component converter, but I am still not able to get audio to record in Amarectv... anyone have any ideas? I'm currently using my SCART switchbox to audio out to the card and I've checked to make sure all my settings are set for "wavein" but I am still getting nothing.

Timu

So I decided to get together everything to test out my PEXHDCAP card that I've had for the past few months, and figured the Famicom would be the first thing to try out since it has the NESRGB mod installed in it. I'm using the Scart to Component converter, but I am still not able to get audio to record in Amarectv... anyone have any ideas? I'm currently using my SCART switchbox to audio out to the card and I've checked to make sure all my settings are set for "wavein" but I am still getting nothing.
In Graph 1 click device setting and choose component for all the connections listed, and have the res be either 320x240, 720x240 or 640x480.

In Graph 1 click device setting and choose component for all the connections listed, and have the res be either 320x240, 720x240 or 640x480.

Right, I'm getting video no problem, it's the audio I'm having issues with. No audio is coming through at all. The video I'll have to tweak a bit later since it's recording at 16:9 but I can force that back to 4:3.

Timu

Right, I'm getting video no problem, it's the audio I'm having issues with. No audio is coming through at all. The video I'll have to tweak a bit later since it's recording at 16:9 but I can force that back to 4:3.
That is indeed strange, if you can get video you should easily get audio. I've managed to get audio from even using a cheap scart audio adapter.

That is indeed strange, if you can get video you should easily get audio. I've managed to get audio from even using a cheap scart audio adapter.

That's what I thought. I even had bought an audio adapter so I wouldn't have to lug the whole switchbox over to this side of the room, but no luck. I know the audio cables I'm using are good, they were the ones hooked up to my TV.

EDIT: Figured it out, I didn't install Amarec Live. Hit record and I got video/sound finally. Did not realize that you aren't supposed to hear any sound at all through the viewer.

Well I got my capture card working, now to just figure out how to get it to upload 60fps to youtube. I heard something about doubling the resolution, is that correct?

Teknoman

Well I got my capture card working, now to just figure out how to get it to upload 60fps to youtube. I heard something about doubling the resolution, is that correct?

If you are using windows movie maker, just save the movie under a custom setting with resolution at 720p and frame rate to 60.

Timu

Yep, resolution has to have 720 as the height, you can have anything as the width as long as it's above 720. Though start with 960x720 at least.

Teknoman

Best to use a guide IMO. But otherwise yes. Amazing game too. I really should get back to it.

Cool because I just happened to glance at a Chrontendo episode that I had in the background, and it happened to be the exact moment Dr. Sparkle was talking about it. Has kinda Castlevania meets Zelda vibes?

Checked out a few other videos and it looks like its got a fan translation, but i'd rather just snag a famicart if its that easy to play with a guide.

D.Lo

I first head about on Retronauts actually. Years ago.
Whoever it is, I think they're demonstrably wrong. I'd estimate around 50% of the total number of games released on FDS never saw a cart. Not quite that percentage of good games didn't make it, but many which did were also missing features, most commonly audio channels.

I mean put it this way: it was the primary delivery method of Famicom software for 2-3 years at the platform's peak!

I'm guessing 'FDS sucks and all the best games went to cart' started as some kind of justification for saving money, console warrior style ('I can't afford it so I'll tell myself it sucks')? Particularly overseas, given FDS cannot be used easily on an unmodded NES, so you pretty much need to get a Famicom and a disk system (or a Twin) to play these games, which is just too much outlay for US-centric nostalgia gamers.

FDS is the second most important console add-on of all time IMO, after PC Engine CD. If you want access to all the best games, you simply need one.

Cool because I just happened to glance at a Chrontendo episode that I had in the background, and it happened to be the exact moment Dr. Sparkle was talking about it. Has kinda Castlevania meets Zelda vibes?

Checked out a few other videos and it looks like its got a fan translation, but i'd rather just snag a famicart if its that easy to play with a guide.
It's an 80s action RPG puzzler, a guide is necessary to not get lost IMO!

Laws00

how's this game guys? Seen videos of it. Wasn't sold on buying it

500px-The_Last_Warrior.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Not sure about the game (haven't played it) but that ad is awesome. I remember it from my childhood. Gaming ads of the 90s were sooo slick

Not sure about the game (haven't played it) but that ad is awesome. I remember it from my childhood. Gaming ads of the 90s were sooo slick

Once every few years I go through my old comic books and re read some of my favourites. I think I enjoy looking at the game ads more then the comics themselves !

Negaduck

Just saw this thread. Seeing "Whomp'em" on there warmed my heart.

One of my favorite games growing up but I never see anyone mention it.

Subbing.

Top Bottom