• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

People like to hate, especially when ts something popular. Shenmue has become a target.

Unfortunately, we have stupid fucks in the media and other outlets portraying shenmue and its budget in a negative way. Really makes you question these individuals as people in general. Why would you spread negativity on something that doesn't deserve negativity?? Clickbait is one answer, as is being a negative or dramatic, etc.

Unfortunately, the masses haven't got time to investigate all the little details for themselves, so they'll just believe the narrative that has been portrayed to them. I have a friend who reads headlines and he sprouts the same shit everytime i see him. "6.3 million isnt enough", "Suzuki wants more money", "The game wont be a true open world game". ironic thing is, he's never played Shenmue.

It will all blow over, give it till next year. Im sure this will be a similar situation as the xbox one coverage.

Regardless though, there's always gonna be haters and those that want to ruin peoples experience. Some people find joy in negativity and we have to accept that and just move passed it. This not only applys to shenmue, but life in general.

Spaghetti

The Dojo situation is that there's an (awful) poster who keeps making weird platitudes and getting on a soap box about how the game is going to be awful while simultaneously shitting on Yu and his team. Worth the read, for laughs at least.

Starts here:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49264&start=90#p1122156

His posts fully embody the current line of thinking that have thrown the game under the bus on pure conjecture and glaring assumptions.
Ohhhh, that fella. I think I browsed a few moaning posts about ragdolls, but the name never really stuck with me.

I'm not sure if the immense negativity of 14 years of getting shit on and shafted has warped a few fans into propagating that viewpoint, or if they're just inclined to not reserve judgement on things until they've seen them properly implemented or tried it for themselves.

mattp

Ohhhh, that fella. I think I browsed a few moaning posts about ragdolls, but the name never really stuck with me.

I'm not sure if the immense negativity of 14 years of getting shit on and shafted has warped a few fans into propagating that viewpoint, or if they're just inclined to not reserve judgement on things until they've seen them properly implemented or tried it for themselves.

oh christ lol

The really sad thing is, they're making less of a game then they could be making, just because they're using these "new" technologies that is doing nothing, but actually taking away from the "organic", realistic feel.

rolled my eyes and closed that thread

My position isn't one of the recent media, but more from actual players. I see game players who are endlessly skeptical, and their skepticism is warranted - it is kickstarter after all. I think Spaghetti's post was aimed at the average game player, not so much the media. Could be wrong. Many words have been waxed on and off about Shenmue and the media, and I don't really want to part in it right now, especially given I'm trying to sell a positive Shenmue article through that very media.

I think it is up to us fans to tell people why III could be a special game and to keep their minds open.

I wouldn't worry about the negativity. It will blow over. Rather than concentrate on the negativity, put effort into reinforcing your faith in Yu and his amazing team. Much more productive, and far less stressful.

mattp

being open with fans is such a double edged sword
you want to keep fans updated on the state of your development, show them some cool inside/early stuff, and 50% of the people don't understand how development works and just bitch and freak out over in development assets

being open with fans is such a double edged sword
you want to keep fans updated on the state of your development, show them some cool inside/early stuff, and 50% of the people don't understand how development works and just bitch and freak out over in development assets

Those people are fools and should be instantly derided.

Spaghetti

I'll be honest, I was sceptical of a Kickstarted Shenmue. I'm like the first poster in a thread that asked the very question if a game like Shenmue could be Kickstarted, and I said it could not be done.

My mind has very much been changed since then. Despite a bit of a language barrier in regarding to some ideas, I feel confident Yu knows what he wants and knows how to get it.

There was a Eurogamer article a year or two back about the 'lost' games like TLG, Shenmue 3, etc, and I think a podcast that spawned out of it had the writer say he didn't think even Yu Suzuki was enthusiastic about making Shenmue 3.

I think that notion has been put to bed entirely. We saw how emotional he got from the support for the Kickstarter, but also now we know he's dedicating a tremendous amount of hours into development, not to mention how in the most recent Eurogamer interview it made a point of saying how much livelier he was.

Ultimately I think I'm putting aside that this game is even Shenmue. I want to see a new Yu Suzuki game in 2017 that isn't a mobile title. I've seen people pick up that he didn't really direct a game for a long time, but they tend to forget he was still the head of development at AM2 until only a few years ago, and they pumped out some great games during that period. With the fairly rapid progress of Shenmue 3, it seems to me that he's slipped back into the directorship role pretty well so far. Kinda like riding a bike, you never forget.

A renewed, energetic Yu Suzuki combined with talented fans and AM2 alumni is something to be pretty excited about, no matter the scale of creation.

Hey Shenmue GAF, I finally got to a point on a little project of mine that I could show it off and I wanted to see what you think.
fHIaOon.jpg

I replaced every button on a DS4 I could with Dreamcast buttons and painted the ones I couldn't. It's still sort of a work in progress since I'm not entirely happy with the solution I came up with for the face buttons, but I wanted some feedback!

Ah, that looks pretty cool; I hope that's the controller you'll use to play Shenmue 3! D

Absolutely!

Tape a VMU to the touchpad then you'll be good to go!

Originally, I was going to work out something with a transparent touchpad and a faux vmu screen, but it didn't pan out.

Putting the DC dpad in there was really sticking to your guns, haha.

Definitely not something I would do.

Haha yeah it's probably the most awkward part of the whole setup, but it works well enough.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I was going to ask about the sticks. They're obviously not DC sticks since there's no thumb pad dots. Are those PS3 sticks?

GJ with it! Mind showing us the controller in action with a video?

Edit: those are actually DC sticks. Couldn't see the thumb padding due to lighting!

I was going to ask about the sticks. They're obviously not DC sticks since there's no thumb pad dots. Are those PS3 sticks?

GJ with it! Mind showing us the controller in action with a video?

Edit: those are actually DC sticks. Couldn't see the thumb padding due to lighting!

Yep! And surprisingly they feel better than the regular DS4 sticks imo.

I'll see if I can get something together either today or tomorrow to show it working.

Spaghetti

$6,426,380

with 48 days remaining, as of nov 13th, noon japan time.

i think we're going to cross 6.5 mil certainly. i do hope they add the PC slacker backer stuff soon though, it'd be nice to at least make a swing for the fences and get as close to 7 million as possible.

$6,426,380

with 48 days remaining, as of nov 13th, noon japan time.

i think we're going to cross 6.5 mil certainly. i do hope they add the PC slacker backer stuff soon though, it'd be nice to at least make a swing for the fences and get as close to 7 million as possible.

I'd love a PC copy on my account, primarily just so I can get the calling card on both copies.

master15

Just seeing those environments in motion with that music gave me emotions. Fuuuck, it's still unbelievable.

Absolutely. I love how in a lot of the early footage we saw the camera panning and cranning around many of the games locations and rooms.

Looks very promising :)

Spaghetti

ITS HAPPENING

from shenmuedojo:
Yu Suzuki was in China with a new progress report on Shenmue 3's development, although the article is not yet translated to English, there is an off-screen video showing new environments, as well as the game's day/night cycle. You can check it out below.

video: http://v.qq.com/page/e/z/r/e0018cdczzr.html
http://www.anqu.com/news/xinyou/131143.shtml
oh wow, i really like what they're doing with the lighting. the silhouetted mountains against a sunset looked really nice.

the interiors are looking good too. definitely capturing the feeling shenmue has of a very lived-in world.

Spaghetti

sorry for the double post, but ziming over at the dojo has a gallery up of all the new images from the event here

this image, this image, and this image in particular interest me a lot. i think they are new screens of the shenmue 3 environments. i certainly didn't know sunflowers were grown out in guilin.

this image seems a more rounded out version of the development plan from the september kickstarter update.

i figure this month's kickstarter update will include a lot of this material in higher quality.

edit: and there are a few low res images of the new shenhua model out there too. she's definitely looking more like she should.

wow. there's a lot they showed at this event.

master15

sorry for the double post, but ziming over at the dojo has a gallery up of all the new images from the event here

this image, this image, and this image in particular interest me a lot. i think they are new screens of the shenmue 3 environments. i certainly didn't know sunflowers were grown out in guilin.

this image seems a more rounded out version of the development plan from the september kickstarter update.

i figure this month's kickstarter update will include a lot of this material in higher quality.

edit: and there are a few low res images of the new shenhua model out there too. she's definitely looking more like she should.

I really want to stay spoiler free but after such a long time its very hard to resist not to hoover up every piece of information as its released.

mattp

i mean...that was kind of a non-answer for the shenmue question

Certainly “Shenmue” is a very important IP, as well for SEGA, it is a title that has affected a lot of games. In a closed world, you can go anywhere, it can be anything, and It was a pioneer the open-world genre. Yu Suzuki san has a strong desire to create a “Shenmue 3” game. He will be able to crate the game people have been waiting for. Of course, even now SEGA has a lot of contact with Yu Suzuki. We have continued to support “Shenmue 3” too.

astonish

Little tidbit someone on reddit noticed. During one of the Oculus Connect (developers conference) talks about Gear VR they were talking about the creation of the Oculus Arcade and in one of the screenshots it looks like Shenmue in the background.

Possible dreamcast port playable on GearVR?

6LiNZ9E.png

(Source: /r/oculus subreddit)

It still blows my mind that they are showing off areas etc. for Shenmue 3. Still can't believe its actually being made!

It looks good so far, bearing in mind its still early days. Part of me wants to go on a media blackout but I know that'll never stick!

Spaghetti

Little tidbit someone on reddit noticed. During one of the Oculus Connect (developers conference) talks about Gear VR they were talking about the creation of the Oculus Arcade and in one of the screenshots it looks like Shenmue in the background.

Possible dreamcast port playable on GearVR?

6LiNZ9E.png

(Source: /r/oculus subreddit)
osDP6pc.gif

yeah that's definitely shenmue II. same image as the japanese/european dreamcast cover too. so, i guess shenmue rereleases are coming, and for mobile as well.

(of course they're also coming to PC and console too. anything less than that would be such a gigantic misstep from sega that i would struggle to believe it wasn't done out of spite)

in other news, looks like yu has started his research trip.

UPDATE THE CONTROLS FOR SHENMUE 1/2 re-release. For the love of Tom's homemade pickles, DO IT PLEASE. Shenmue III RELIES on this. If this is a straight port I will gag!

master15

osDP6pc.gif

yeah that's definitely shenmue II. same image as the japanese/european dreamcast cover too. so, i guess shenmue rereleases are coming, and for mobile as well.

(of course they're also coming to PC and console too. anything less than that would be such a gigantic misstep from sega that i would struggle to believe it wasn't done out of spite)

in other news, looks like yu has started his research trip.

It's Suzuki all right. His famed t-shirt is seeing more action ;)

I'm not sure if that means anything, I mean if you look at the other side of that image, there is a shot of Sonic 06. I apologize if I just shot this down for anyone.

Spaghetti

I'm not sure if that means anything, I mean if you look at the other side of that image, there is a shot of Sonic 06. I apologize if I just shot this down for anyone.
i mean, it's open to interpretation until we get confirmation.

but i would say, given that it's an official presentation, that they'd have to use art they are properly licenced to use.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
double post, but with the confirmation there will be snow in some part of shenmue 3, i'm leaving this UE4 snow vid here

jesus christ

also hi guys! first post in this thread. i have fond memories of the shenmue series, i remember watching the little trailer on the dreamcast magazine disc over and over again, so impressed with the 'FREE' system and beyond excited just to explore the game's world. when the game came out, i bought it day one (didn't find out until recently there was a special edition though!), me and my little brothers would take 30 minute turns playing the game. I think i was the only one to complete it though! believe it or not, i actually got the bad ending my first run (the one where you don't advance the story in the allotted timeframe) just because i wasted so much time just walking around, talking to people and playing hang-on. i begged my parents for the PAL release of shenmue 2 when i found out it would never get localized, got my first boot disc in the process. although these days i actually prefer the xbox version!

i'm happy to see that shenmue 3 is a real thing and glad so many people who feel passionately about the series will be able to play it soonish. to be completely honest although i have very positive feelings about the franchise i always felt a little disconnected with its fanbase, i think the games mean more to many of them than it does me. nevertheless i pledged $175 for the game and am very excited to play it.

let's get sweaty!

Spaghetti

jesus christ

also hi guys! first post in this thread. i have fond memories of the shenmue series, i remember watching the little trailer on the dreamcast magazine disc over and over again, so impressed with the 'FREE' system and beyond excited just to explore the game's world. when the game came out, i bought it day one (didn't find out until recently there was a special edition though!), me and my little brothers would take 30 minute turns playing the game. I think i was the only one to complete it though! believe it or not, i actually got the bad ending my first run (the one where you don't advance the story in the allotted timeframe) just because i wasted so much time just walking around, talking to people and playing hang-on. i begged my parents for the PAL release of shenmue 2 when i found out it would never get localized, got my first boot disc in the process. although these days i actually prefer the xbox version!

i'm happy to see that shenmue 3 is a real thing and glad so many people who feel passionately about the series will be able to play it soonish. to be completely honest although i have very positive feelings about the franchise i always felt a little disconnected with its fanbase, i think the games mean more to many of them than it does me. nevertheless i pledged $175 for the game and am very excited to play it.

let's get sweaty!
welcome!

the thread can get slow but it's nice to have a chat about recent shenmue news that doesn't get spun into its own thread here, and it's always nice to see more people joining in.

and yes, that UE4 video is beastly, though i'm sure nobody is expecting that level of graphical fidelity as possible in a real time game at an acceptable framerate.

Shenmue snow is my favourite snow in any game ever still. I just love how well the weather cycle was done in Shenmue - where it gets overcast before it starts snowing. Then you turn in for the night and get up in the morning with the town covered in snow. It looked so beautiful. Then having the snow gradually melt over the next few days... really awesome.

So glad to hear snow will be back for Shenmue III, odd that I'd get so hyped for a weather effect!

Top Bottom