• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

nny

The recently-released Shenmue vinyl has some neat details:

DSC00033_zpspat1lska.jpg

DSC00030_zpssxp9hyn9.jpg

When I ordered, the limited edition was already gone, so I got the blue record; my pics above are from that version.

Oh! Okay well that's cool :D
Mine is still sealed so I haven't checked, debating whether to open it or frame it sealed so the colour disc I chose might ultimately be irrelevant anyway haha.
Nice little details though, thanks for posting.

openrob

Hey guys, I wanted to cordially invite all UK based
(and Non-UK based if you are super dedicated!)
Shenmue fans to an event I am hosting in London. Please have a look - and also , if any of you great guys has any cool ideas for the night, even if you can't attend, please let me know!!!

https://www.facebook.com/events/865242423551538/865620513513729/

Father's Heaven, Nine dragons; Mother's Earth, Cocktails...
//
This November Shenmue fans from London and beyond will be meeting in Central London for an evening of celebrating Shenmue, video game fun, drinks and competitions!

What to expect:
• Prizes Prizes Prizes!
• A Shenmue Pub Quiz
• 70 Man Battle & YouArcade competitions!
• A Gamer's Journey: The Definitive History of Shenmue
• 'Fancy a game?' Real life Lucky Hit board!
• Cosplay!
• And much more!
//

This is the premier space for Gamers to Drink, Relax and Play. Loading Bar has a range of Modern & Retro consoles to play and serves up a variety of drinks, including cocktails such as Assassins Mead, Earthworm Gin, and Deus Ex on the Beach
http://loadingonline.co.uk/
//

This event will take place on the same weekend as Hyper Japan! So while we celebrate Shenmue as a video game on Saturday, consider joining some of us to celebrate Japanese culture on the Sunday - tickets can be bought here: http://hyperjapan.co.uk/tickets/.

This event will be a great place to meet others from the Shenmue community and have a fun evening out! Any questions or suggestions then get in touch!
Rob
//

Details:
DATE: 28TH NOVEMBER
97 Stoke Newington Road

Spaghetti

nights are getting colder and darker... i think that might mean it's time to replay shenmue again.

anybody else thinking about digging out their copy for the autumn and winter months?

IrishNinja

it's a fine idea (especially for part 1), but my roommate went on a mad marathon last summer after 3's announcement so i'm okay with waiting on the off-chance an HD remake gets made!

if nothing else though, 2 was/is such a summer game for me.

Spaghetti

it's a fine idea (especially for part 1), but my roommate went on a mad marathon last summer after 3's announcement so i'm okay with waiting on the off-chance an HD remake gets made!

if nothing else though, 2 was/is such a summer game for me.
mmm. i did the same thing. i played both games over the course of the kickstarter campaign actually.

still going to do them again though. it's definitely an appropriate year to double up on playthroughs.

hopefully the year of shenmue concludes with something about a rerelease. maybe psx will hold something interest for gio corsi to announce.

miku

Just found out there was a Shenmue OT on GAF!!

But it looks like there are only a few sailors hanging out here...

miku

We come in and out of port, most of the action right now is in the Shameful Shenmue III Media coverage" thread.

Oh, the thread about "we could use more money" and "sexy Shenhua"?

I only read Spaghetti's post on OP and a few other posts. Seems like many people who don't follow Shenmue news are still confused.

Oh, the thread about "we could use more money" and "sexy Shenhua"?

I only read Spaghetti's post on OP and a few other posts. Seems like many people who don't follow Shenmue news are still confused.

Pretty much, primarily because the press can't do 30 seconds of research.

Spaghetti

Pretty much, primarily because the press can't do 30 seconds of research.
pretty much

the information for current and potential backers/buyers is out there, but i feel like some people are waiting for it to be reported to them via the press, who are increasingly looking like a bad source for that info. they either don't report anything, or they skew the story in the weirdest fucking ways.

even more even-handed matter-of-factly articles like the recent on in GamesTM (i think) had some falsehoods in it regarding the size of the game world (reporting chobu and bailu village wouldn't be in the game when they are) that could have been solved with some quick fact checking.

IrishNinja

yeah, i try to leave props in the edited line - it's absolutely not mine; the shenmuedojo dudes have these things using the full character limit, and far better than i would!

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Popping in cause not sure if I missed it, but has the backerkit for 3 gone up yet? I remember hearing that their Paypal campaign would go ahead for some time, but not sure if there were any ETAs or anything yet to lock in our rewards.

Kiske

I'm sorry but this is just nonsense.

From the Segafans link in your post:

...A post on TSSZ spread like wildfire on social media when fans read that SEGA Europe’s Jon Rooke said the company was exploring ways to re-release Shenmue 1 & 2.

Unfortunately, the quote appears to have been doctored! TSSZ sourced it from a forum post and the author of that post appears to have taken some creative liberties…

They assume the TSSZ post source was a forum post and that could be true for TSSZ article.

Fact is I have registered to Marketing Week, which should be the original source of Jon Rooke interview and the line about Shenmue 1 & 2 re-release IS ACTUALLY in the article as shown in below screen-capture.

rAuMx5k.jpg

I don't know what's going on but there is too much confusion for sure about the real source of Sega Europe Marketing director interview...

Surta

They assume the TSSZ post source was a forum post and that could be true for TSSZ article.

I don't think they assumed that. Also, update.

"So there you have it, straight from the author’s fingertips: no direct statements were made about Shenmue 1 & 2 being re-released, but there is a possibility in the future."

I believe I'm in the right thread for this. The team shared some news with "Month 3 Progress Report"

All elements in the following screen shots are still in testing. Objects are being used as place holders, like the men in black suits, and Ryo is also an older model. Backgrounds and buildings are also still in the development stage and will see reworking. Shots for the two battle scenes were taken at angle to avoid spoilers as much as possible.

tmwJ4Ep.png

wFPfABd.png

tR3Ev5S.png

DsV1OpK.png

More details here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1398446

Spaghetti

it's definitely getting there.

the closer image of ryo is framed a lot like the dialogue sequences with NPCs in the other two games, so it's nice they're trying to keep that familiar feel. actually, the model itself looks pretty okay too. could be the model from the original teaser, considering how it looked either great or bad depending on the angle or lighting.

good update all in all. seems like they're doing fine.

miku

it's definitely getting there.

the closer image of ryo is framed a lot like the dialogue sequences with NPCs in the other two games, so it's nice they're trying to keep that familiar feel. actually, the model itself looks pretty okay too. could be the model from the original teaser, considering how it looked either great or bad depending on the angle or lighting.

good update all in all. seems like they're doing fine.

They actually updated on Friday like you said.

Hmm...

miku

well, logical deduction being that:

awesome japan doesn't work weekends

the month changes over the weekend

it had to be friday, or sooner to meet the monthly update quota.

Haha, honestly, I think its better if they do the updates in the beginning of every month.

So, I've got a long piece of literature written on why Shenmue still matters in 2015 - story and gameplay-wise.I tried to sell it to writing venues but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Any ideas on how I can make this happen? I just need a venue for where I can post my writing. Long written pieces don't exactly get readers to come on by in today's game writing climate, though.

Spaghetti

So, I've got a long piece of literature written on why Shenmue still matters in 2015 - story and gameplay-wise.I tried to sell it to writing venues but they haven't gotten back to me yet. Any ideas on how I can make this happen? I just need a venue for where I can post my writing. Long written pieces don't exactly get readers to come on by in today's game writing climate, though.
i doubt you'll see much interest from most mainstream gaming sites, as a business they generally don't work on the principle of long-form written content, and when they do it's usually written in-house. look towards popular games blogs (i don't have any i can name immediately off the top of my head), or try posting it to sites with community contributor features like giant bomb or kotaku. there was a great series of articles during the kickstarter in kotaku's community.

last resort, create a place for your game writing and try and get it some exposure here and elsewhere. i'd read it.

i doubt you'll see much interest from most mainstream gaming sites, as a business they generally don't work on the principle of long-form written content, and when they do it's usually written in-house. look towards popular games blogs (i don't have any i can name immediately off the top of my head), or try posting it to sites with community contributor features like giant bomb or kotaku. there was a great series of articles during the kickstarter in kotaku's community.

last resort, create a place for your game writing and try and get it some exposure here and elsewhere. i'd read it.

It's deflating because, if you can garner from my first post here on GAF, long-form game writing highly interests me, and is what I consider the important element of the medium in terms of writing. Yet I feel like I don't have a venue to express my thoughts outside of forums like GAF.

Kotaku has community features? How does this work?

Spaghetti

It's deflating because, if you can garner from my first post here on GAF, long-form game writing highly interests me, and is what I consider the important element of the medium in terms of writing. Yet I feel like I don't have a venue to express my thoughts outside of forums like GAF.

Kotaku has community features? How does this work?
i don't know the details, but i think it is called talk amongst yourselves. i believe it more or less allows users to create blogs in the same fashion as kotaku staff and contributors make their articles.

Spaghetti

Sorry for the double post, but ShenmueGAF, I've got a question or two.

Why is it that people are already writing off Shenmue 3 as a disappointment despite not even being over three months into development? Is it the press perspective catching on, or what?

There's a lot of talk about it not meeting fan expectation. As fans, are we all that concerned about something not reaching a personal high bar we have? Or is the press trying to speak for us all?

Personally, besides the fact that it is far too early to tell, I have decided to divorce Shenmue 3 from Shenmue/II in my mind. Those were games of the time made under very different circumstances, lightning in a bottle. It's been 14 years and things have changed so much that I think it is unfair to hold Shenmue 3 to that standard. There's every capacity that Shenmue 3 could impress significantly, but I'm more than willing to let it stand alone on its own merits instead of just comparing it to both earlier games.

How does everybody else feel?

Sorry for the double post, but ShenmueGAF, I've got a question or two.

Why is it that people are already writing off Shenmue 3 as a disappointment despite not even being over three months into development? Is it the press perspective catching on, or what?

There's a lot of talk about it not meeting fan expectation. As fans, are we all that concerned about something not reaching a personal high bar we have? Or is the press trying to speak for us all?

Personally, besides the fact that it is far too early to tell, I have decided to divorce Shenmue 3 from Shenmue/II in my mind. Those were games of the time made under very different circumstances, lightning in a bottle. It's been 14 years and things have changed so much that I think it is unfair to hold Shenmue 3 to that standard. There's every capacity that Shenmue 3 could impress significantly, but I'm more than willing to let it stand alone on its own merits instead of just comparing it to both earlier games.

How does everybody else feel?

Reading the Dojo and the Zoltor situation I take it?

People don't think it'll be good because it has high expectations, on top of a lower budget, and feel that it will be impossible to have the Shenmue feel with such low amount of money. It's a worthy skepticism but many have decided that the game is doomed for failure out the gate despite the staff involved.

I wouldn't take it too seriously. Those fans who are overly skeptical will always be skeptical. The people who aren't fans and are willing to ride the game for being Shenmue will never be convinced. As time goes on and more media is released, I think it'll start to stop. The games already looking more positive after the release of the new test screenshots, at least from where I'm sitting!

Give it time.

IrishNinja

wasn't aware that was a popular thought, but it's so early on & i'm still so excited i can't see caring. the overlap from that group & those who said it wasn't gonna happen/didn't care anyway must be tremendous; the jeff gerstmann's of the world can go kick rocks.

Spaghetti

Reading the Dojo and the Zoltor situation I take it?

People don't think it'll be good because it has high expectations, on top of a lower budget, and feel that it will be impossible to have the Shenmue feel with such low amount of money. It's a worthy skepticism but many have decided that the game is doomed for failure out the gate despite the staff involved.

I wouldn't take it too seriously. Those fans who are overly skeptical will always be skeptical. The people who aren't fans and are willing to ride the game for being Shenmue will never be convinced. As time goes on and more media is released, I think it'll start to stop. The games already looking more positive after the release of the new test screenshots, at least from where I'm sitting!

Give it time.
No, actually. I haven't seen what's going on at the Dojo. Care to fill me in? My post was more inspired by a Twitter post I saw. I just don't understand how a game can be written off so early in the development cycle, y'know?

Interesting to hear your perspective on the questions though, and I totally agree the realer Shenmue 3 gets and the more we see of the game, the less we'll hear the relentless doom and gloom.

The Dojo situation is that there's an (awful) poster who keeps making weird platitudes and getting on a soap box about how the game is going to be awful while simultaneously shitting on Yu and his team. Worth the read, for laughs at least.

Starts here:

http://www.shenmuedojo.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=49264&start=90#p1122156

His posts fully embody the current line of thinking that have thrown the game under the bus on pure conjecture and glaring assumptions.

Top Bottom