• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but...

Do you guys think this Shenmue 3 video confirms the theory that Shenmue 2 ends on Disc 3 on the rooftop and Disc 4 of Shenmue 2 was actually Disc 1 of Shenmue 3...?

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but...

Do you guys think this Shenmue 3 video confirms the theory that Shenmue 2 ends on Disc 3 on the rooftop and Disc 4 of Shenmue 2 was actually Disc 1 of Shenmue 3...?

I always wondered this. I mean the third disk ended on a climatic battle and felt very "end of game", the game seemed to shift in tone on the fourth disk. At the same time the fourth disk ends on a pretty crazy cliffhangar so I'm not sure either way. All I know is I can't wait to finally get to play Shenmue 3 somewhere down the line!

mattp

i've brought this up a couple times in the kickstarter thread but it either gets lost in the shuffle or no one cares lol

anyway

has there been any word from takenobu mitsuyoshi? i messaged him on facebook hoping he'd reply haha. no response, but i know he saw it
but seriously, they NEED to get him on as a composer. would be a perfect stretch goal

i've brought this up a couple times in the kickstarter thread but it either gets lost in the shuffle or no one cares lol

anyway

has there been any word from takenobu mitsuyoshi? i messaged him on facebook hoping he'd reply haha. no response, but i know he saw it
but seriously, they NEED to get him on as a composer. would be a perfect stretch goal

It looks like Ryuji Iuchi is leading the music creation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-yscG027w0

mattp

yeah i saw his name on there, which is great. but from what i understand, mitsuyoshi wrote the bulk of the original soundtrack, including the theme song. also, he's just the best. so i want him working on it, too haha

Nibel

HYPED

but my sources say this nibellion fellow is sketchy

Q7OTOY1.gif

Glass

Just got linked to this thread from gaming side, and it was great going through the entire thread knowing how it would end. Great job staying strong and fighting the good fight all these years.

I still can't believe it...

auaeKAa.jpg

I've expressed my crazy excitement in a ton of the Shenmue III threads already, but as the Shenmue hype train conductor...I wanted to post something here to my little Shenmue family - the hardcore fans. I just wanted to say that my faith in gaming has been restored and I couldn't be happier/prouder to see Shenmue and Yu Suzuki back in the spotlight. I always knew this day would come. I've never stopped believing. To everyone else here who's waited 14 years for this moment when we were constantly told over and over to just let it go - you have my deepest respect. We made it guys. We finally made it! We're getting out of the cave. We get to see Shenmue characters in HD. We're finally going to meet Niao Sun. WE GET TO CONTINUE THE STORY! **wipes away tear**

you know, I regret not getting the PAL version of Shenmue 2. I still have the Xbox version, but it would be nicer to have the stuff transfer over from the first game and it's much easier to pull out my Dreamcast than it is to set up my Xbox.

...stupid Peter Moore.

IrishNinja

if it's any consolation, transferring stuff from US shenmue 1 to PAL 2 was a bitch, as i recall

as i recall i didn't even bother

I was checking out the LP of shenmue 2 from Huber and co, and they mentioned that there was a previous playthrough of Shenmue 1. Anyone know where to find it?

if it's any consolation, transferring stuff from US shenmue 1 to PAL 2 was a bitch, as i recall

as i recall i didn't even bother

Yeah, there was a command-line program to convert the save from US to PAL, but it required the third-party memory card (Nexus) that could connect to a PC. Then there was the method outlined in this FAQ, but it was pretty convoluted, as you needed to e-mail it to yourself, edit the save file with a hex editor and some converter programs. It looks like someone eventually (around 2007) released a homebrew program that allegedly did the conversion directly on a Dreamcast, only requiring a CD-R and 2 VMUs. That last one seems like the simplest method on paper, but I've never tried it; it didn't seem to get as much attention as the others due to its later release.

The little gameplay bit in the KS video just gets me so fucking excited. Cutscene or not, it actually animated really beautifully, better than I expected.

The stilted voice acting is still there which, honestly, is a staple of the series to me and I love it. I seriously don't hate it.

Synth

in case anyone missed it

Sony claiming involvement has really fucked the trajectory of this campaign up imo. Either put up a good amount of money, or shut up and sit in the corner, and let us finance it without the expectation of secondary income. At the very least let the bloody fundraising finish before waving your flag about.

Browsing through my Shenmue 1 prima guide, I am still amazed by how many pages of NPC descriptions/notes there are. It's insane!

God damn. Decided to finally pick up the 2 prima guide too before it gets too expensive (already getting there).

Browsing through my Shenmue 1 prima guide, I am still amazed by how many pages of NPC descriptions/notes there are. It's insane!

God damn. Decided to finally pick up the 2 prima guide too before it gets too expensive (already getting there).

It is a pity that 2's guide is not anywhere near as in-depth with the extra stuff (characters, mini-games, etc.), but it still has a great walkthrough that will help make sure you do every little thing.

I found that shenmue 1 prima guide at a record store last week for $4. I think the owner had it out to list it online but the wife was there. I asked how much for it and she said $4.

The damn thing smells like mold, mildew, and water though. I've had it in a ziploc bag in the freezer with baking soda for a week. Going to give a few more days and then see if it doesn't stink anymore. It's a really good guide and ive been enjoying playing shenmue 1 with it.

Shame that shenmue 2 is so damn expensive now. I could have sworn i had a copy of the xbox version but i must have sold it at some point. It used to be worth like $5 now it's $40.

I found that shenmue 1 prima guide at a record store last week for $4. I think the owner had it out to list it online but the wife was there. I asked how much for it and she said $4.

The damn thing smells like mold, mildew, and water though. I've had it in a ziploc bag in the freezer with baking soda for a week. Going to give a few more days and then see if it doesn't stink anymore. It's a really good guide and ive been enjoying playing shenmue 1 with it.

Shame that shenmue 2 is so damn expensive now. I could have sworn i had a copy of the xbox version but i must have sold it at some point. It used to be worth like $5 now it's $40.

Yea I picked up Shenmue 2 way back, not even owning an Xbox, for like 7 bucks. And on Wed my OG Xbox will arrive...

Glad I bought everything when I did considering the jump in prices, guides and all. That's a great deal for the Shenmue 1 guide,even if it smells...

I'm exhausted, last week took a toll. I'm glad it's over but extremely annoyed Suzuki and co haven't bothered getting Paypal option up right at the end of the KS campaign.

Yeah that would have been nice. Today definitely felt different than any other day for the past month that's for sure. It's weird not having a Shenmue Kickstarter to follow.

master15

Yeah that would have been nice. Today definitely felt different than any other day for the past month that's for sure. It's weird not having a Shenmue Kickstarter to follow.

Yeah completely,keeping that and a couple of other Shenme threads on front page for last month was pretty taxing but seeing a bunch of new gamers get behind the series along with long-term fans was rather gratifying.

It's been a bit of a blur.

Xieldos

I'm exhausted after a month of this Kickstarter, kind of glad it's over but what a ride.

It's all very real now, but my what a long wait we have....better than 14 years of nothing though.

openrob

Hey guys, I am running some competitions soon and I want ideas about Shenmue based prizes I can give? Could you guys help me out?

I was thinking that the Shenmue Vinyl OST is quite a good one, what ruse could I do?

(Unfortunately this will be local and not an online competition)

IrishNinja

god, wish i could've ordered one of those vinyls...yeah man, that's a damn fine prize! god knows the forklift statue/etc is prolly way too expensive.

Top Bottom