• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue Community Thread | Still lookin' for sailors

Playing through shenmue 1 on NullDC right now. Really wish Sega would do an updated PC port so I wouldn't have to deal with emulator woes. Just had it crash when trying to play space harrier and I'm having some weird graphical glitches. Like you can see the tracing of the shadows and sometimes half of Ryos body renders. Game is seriously amazing though.

Edit:
wkzHzHM.jpg

I'm pretty surprised this interview with Suzuki hasn't been posted yet...it's really worth a read:

Suzuki: "If circumstances and opportunities are right, I'm ready to create Shenmue 3."

GameReactor said:
We talked with Yu Suzuki at Gamelab today, and of course the subject came up regarding Shenmue 3, the long-talked about sequel to the Dreamcast adventure-RPG series that has been left unfinished since the last release, Shenmue II, in 2001.

"I'd rather say everybody which I have met, everybody has asked me about Shenmue 3," he told us when we asked how often does he get asked about returning to the Sega RPG. So we asked him what would need to happen for the game to become a reality.

"I made Shenmue - the first chapter - fourteen years ago, so it has been a long time. But still people remember that and they ask for Shenmue 3 too, so it's a very, very nice thing for me. So if the circumstances and opportunity are all right, I'm sure I'm ready to create that."

We wondered what he might be able to do with new tech and the opportunities that'd offer.

"Well, graphics and sound have progressed very much," he responded. "But especially the capacity of the CPU treatment has made very much progress, so I think it's the main point now in advance; how can we introduce AI so that the playability of the game can get better."

We also asked what new things he'd like to do with storytelling.

"So, I have made until Shenmue 1 and Shenmue 2, but I have prepared until [Shenmue] 11, chapter 11. So if I want to continue the game, it will take a long time - because I have 9 chapters left. So I think I will have to change that construction composing the chapters, by dividing [spreading] many in two or three parts," later stating the series would end with Shenmue 4.

It may be a continuing pipe dream for fans that the Shenmue series would continue, let alone be given the chance to be finished properly, but Suzuki remains thankful by the continued support the franchise receives.

"I would say like this: Thank you very much for the great support for Shenmue! Reaction from Japan and Europe is a little different. Here I can feel that they appreciate it, and I would like to repeat: Thank you very much!"

We then asked whether Inafune-san had give him any advice on the potential of a Kickstarter success? "It's possible that we go for the crowd funding," he replied. "But now we're in a phase of research. I had the occasion to share dinner with Inafune-san and we were talking about it."

Hasn't Suzuki been saying that for a decade? This is new, why?

What?! Since when has Yu Suzuki said this much when it comes to the future of Shenmue? Usually it’s a simple "no comment" or he simply gives us a whole lot of hot air. And the fact that he even mentioned the fourth game is pretty significant. I haven’t seen him go this much in depth when it comes to the future of Shenmue in an interview since...I don’t even remember. Recently it really seems like he’s making some decent progress and really trying to push the Shenmue name back into the spotlight. It does seem like baby steps at the moment, but hey – its still some progress.

I just took a Microsoft Game Studios survey and told them how amazing Shenmue is.

If Microsoft publishes the next game a la Dead Rising 3 then I will gladly take full credit.

Hip Hop Gamer must have a hits quota for his articles at Hot 97 or something, because that's the only reason I can think as to why someone would write so much bullshit with no credibility.

I do like his interviews, but his Shenmue claim is pushing it in terms of realism.

Hell you're Ryo Hazuki, so you know more than anyone when you'll finally leave that cave :p

My favourite Shenmue character is Xiuying.

Izoa6Wtl.jpg

This thread is kinda dead at the moment huh? I’m gonna try and breathe some new life into it by asking Shenmue-GAF: Who's your favourite Shenmue character and why? I think both games have a great, strong cast, but Shenmue II’s characters are on a whole other level for me. They’re so memorable and layered. In fact I’d put the cast of Shenmue II alongside the best of the best like Uncharted 2 and 999. So anyway, like I said - I love Xiuying. She’s such a great female character with a surprising amount of depth. And besides, who doesn’t love a total badass?

Coxy

this guy is completely full of it,

he claimed nintendo were buying sega in 2012
metal gear 2013 would show the real power of wii u
Infamous 3 and uncharted 4 would be ps3 games
Gabe newell and valve working on and designing wii u
platinum games making a shinobi game
Bloody Roar PS4
Final Fantasy Dissidia PS3

the bullshit he comes out with would be hilarious if it wasnt so often things I want to be true :(

Synth

platinum games making a shinobi game

This one makes so much sense that I'm shocked it didn't happen (and with the Platinum/Sega relationship the way it is, it'll probably never happen now).

Also, Xiuying is the best Shenmue character, yea.

IrishNinja

today felt like the right day to finally replay Shenmue, so i made room on the VMU & started it up!

ive been way more thorough in searching Ryo's house this time, i recall being eager to get out into town back in the day...holy crap, how did i miss that letter his dad left him!? that's crazy.

might look up to see the date & time of certain events i missed last go at some point, for now just taking things in
and buying capsule toys

Zafir

My favourite Shenmue character is Xiuying.

Izoa6Wtl.jpg

This thread is kinda dead at the moment huh? I’m gonna try and breathe some new life into it by asking Shenmue-GAF: Who's your favourite Shenmue character and why? I think both games have a great, strong cast, but Shenmue II’s characters are on a whole other level for me. They’re so memorable and layered. In fact I’d put the cast of Shenmue II alongside the best of the best like Uncharted 2 and 999. So anyway, like I said - I love Xiuying. She’s such a great female character with a surprising amount of depth. And besides, who doesn’t love a total badass?
I think I'd probably agree with that choice. Loved her character in 2, and was always interested to find more about her past.

Second choice would probably be Ren.

Hell yeah at people saying Xiuying is the best character! #teamXiuying!

today felt like the right day to finally replay Shenmue, so i made room on the VMU & started it up!

ive been way more thorough in searching Ryo's house this time, i recall being eager to get out into town back in the day...holy crap, how did i miss that letter his dad left him!? that's crazy.

might look up to see the date & time of certain events i missed last go at some point, for now just taking things in
and buying capsule toys

Heh, I didn't even think it was possible to miss that letter Iwao left you...

I reeeeally should replay these games again. The urge has come back.

IrishNinja

Heh, I didn't even think it was possible to miss that letter Iwao left you...

I reeeeally should replay these games again. The urge has come back.

haha yeah, you wouldn't think so, but a younger IrishNinja found a way, clearly!
you know, it sounds silly but part of me loves that i could miss that. in other threads it's been talked about that Shenmue kinda represents a complete 180 on modern AAA design in ways like this: very crucial (and possibly costly) scenes can be left out entirely. while 2 players will, plot-wise, eventually reach the same goal, they'll do so at their own paces, and possibly have quite different experiences along the way.

Coxy

haha yeah, you wouldn't think so, but a younger IrishNinja found a way, clearly!
you know, it sounds silly but part of me loves that i could miss that. in other threads it's been talked about that Shenmue kinda represents a complete 180 on modern AAA design in ways like this: very crucial (and possibly costly) scenes can be left out entirely. while 2 players will, plot-wise, eventually reach the same goal, they'll do so at their own paces, and possibly have quite different experiences along the way.

I feel this so much lately, games barely even have secrets anymore because they dont want to spend money on things only a fraction of players ever see

so I'm absolutely cherishing games that dont do that

Ren. Why? Because:

NqCSknm.jpg
LCcilET.jpg

I like Ren because he's a cocky arrogant SOB. Despite this, he's willing to help out his friends............especially when there's money involved lol. He's just a cool character.

I like Ryo because of his determination, strength and character development throughout Shenmue 2.

I always liked Gui Zhang aswell now that i think about it.

IrishNinja

Yes,actually - they said it looks amazing!

They also said it's canceled; y'all didn't buy JGR or NiGHTS HD so now it's a miku game

openrob

Finally someone has come to get me out this damn cave.

Firstly - I would like to point out that my avatar is actually a young Ryo :p - but I dgress.

Wasn't sure if it warranted it's own thread (I am still to make a thread yet haha)
I am here to bless you all with accounts of my trip! Shenmue real life locations.
Please see the full post here, quite a long read, but please feel free to just skim the pages for pics: http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/07/shenmue-a-gamers-pilgrimage/

Whilst I thoroughly enjoyed the visual feast that this title had delivered, it was the presentation of a new culture that grabbed my 12-year-old heart. Playing Shenmue was like peering through a window into the far east itself. As the protagonist’s adventure had him slowly understanding Chinese folklore, whilst simultaneously learning martial arts and interacting with everyday 80′ Yokosuka, me as the player was fully immersed in this experience. And this experience compelled me to one day visit the locations explored in Shenmue. And that journey, very much unlike our beloved series, is finally complete.

So without further ado, I present my journey into the real life locations of Shnuemue, sprawling two countries, four plane trips a sleeper coach and three trains!

Erevador

Firstly - I would like to point out that my avatar is actually a young Ryo :p - but I dgress.

Wasn't sure if it warranted it's own thread (I am still to make a thread yet haha)
I am here to bless you all with accounts of my trip! Shenmue real life locations.
Please see the full post here, quite a long read, but please feel free to just skim the pages for pics: http://venturebeat.com/2014/09/03/shenmue-a-gamers-pilgrimage/view-all/
That link was broken for me. Here's a fixed link.

Woah that is truly awesome, thanks for all the pics!

Hey, do we know why Yu chose the locations that he did?
Yokosuka in particular?

EDIT: Oh my, the jacket is done! Who's ordering?

It looks too dark, the actual jacket has a light beat-up appearance which this may have gotten over time if it was real leather, so it's a shame it's not.
Also the sleeve emblems aren't stitched like they are on the jumper, seems cheap.

(I still want it)

openrob

shenhaZ

Neo Member
Today is 15th Shenmue Anniversary, so I've made a simple Lucky Hit Remake as a present for all Shenmue Fans
http://nagaiindustries.itch.io/lucky-hit-challenge
[the Untity web player is needed, it's save to download on the page]
It also features «Shenmue III Kickstarter Simulator» with Leaderboards on best donation amount from winnings.

You can read more about it here: https://www.facebook.com/TeamYu/pho...6033592075353/945435555468484/?type=1&theater
and here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Shenmue500K/permalink/749529178456122/

It would be nice if someone will create a thread about anniversary and share this game, after all, this one was created from fans for fans to reexperience that nostalgic Shenmue feeling, which I attempted to recreate, and to commemorate the title.

Maligna

Banned
Pretty sure GameTrailers.com is going to be streaming Shenmue on twitch on the evening of January 2nd. We should all join along.

Huber is playing while Kyle Bosman is seeing it for the first time. They are on the third disc now as they have steamed a few times previously. It's fun to watch Kyle be amazed by the game and see all the viewer comments such as, "THIS is a Dreamcast game?"

Ryo will soon be getting a companion statue made by F4F. The main antagonist from Shenmue...Lan Di!

Source: First 4 Figures

xJNGy4W.jpg

So bought!

Top Bottom