• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark Survival Evolved Xbox One gameplay reveal; Dec 16 release

FinKL

Did they really add THAT MUCH to the game in 6 months?! Isn't optimization still horrendous on PC (980 TI's struggling to run it), I don't even see how it would run on Xbox One.

That's amazing if they can fulfill what's on the gameplay trailer on Xbox

Hmmm... i really wonder how a open world UE4 game is going to perform on XboxOne...

Was always thinking about buying this game for PC. But reading about all this Performance issues made me nope

And wasnt most of this footage shown in the announcement trailer for XboxOne at E3 or GamesCom? I remember seeing this stuff..

FordGTGuy

Banned
runs like shit on high end PCs. This will not go well.........
but I hope it does!

Big difference between being optimized for hardware and not being optimized for hardware.

This is also a DX12 title so hopefully a lot the CPU intensive stuff can be dealt with or at least soften the impact.

R3TRODYCE

This game was so mediocre and it ran like shit on PC so I'm glad they put in place Steam refunds for titles like this but it's nice seeing the Xbox game preview thing working.

Kezen

Banned
Big difference between being optimized for hardware and not being optimized for hardware.

So far it has not proved true to a great extent, PC versions perform very nearly to their console counterparts on equivalent GCN hardware. Ryse runs as well as it does on Xbone on a R7 260 and I bet more multiplats.

You might be confusing optimization with "downgrading".

The game runs pretty badly but surely there is room for performance improvements.

FordGTGuy

Banned
I hope there is some detailed investigation into how much "optimizing for hardware" and how much "moving sliders to the left" was involved here.

Common sense?

Why does there need to be a "detailed investigation"? We will find out in 7 or so days.

So far it has not proved true to a great extent, PC versions perform very nearly to their console counterparts on equivalent GCN hardware. Ryse runs as well as it does on Xbone on a R7 260 and I bet more multiplats.

You might be confusing optimization with "downgrading".

The game runs pretty badly but surely there is room for performance improvements.

Wow, c'mon now guys.

The point of consoles is that games can be optimized to a single piece of hardware.

Huh, I thought this was announced for PS4 first. Or was the XB1 version announced before the PS4 version?

I think it was announced first but MS are able to get them on the console early with Game Preview so that seems to work for them.

They said on twitter its due on PS4 in Summer 2016

Kezen

Banned
Common sense?

Why does there need to be a "detailed investigation"? We will find out in 7 or so days.

Wow, c'mon now guys.

The point of consoles is that games can be optimized to a single piece of hardware.

We know that, but I'm somewhat sceptical about the gains, could you enlighten me ?
No doubt the CPU cost must be greatly alleviated (high level APIs incur a significant CPU overhead this is nothing new), but about situations where the GPU is the sole limiting factor ?

Could you tell us about a game where the Xbox One punches way above a R7 260, it closest equivalent in the PC space ?

I think it was announced first but MS are able to get them on the console early with Game Preview so that seems to work for them.

They said on twitter its due on PS4 in Summer 2016
It's features like this where I'm jealous of XB1 users. I know "early access" gets some crap around here but I'd love it on PS4. I did just build a new PC but I still need to get a graphics card.

Bsigg12

It's features like this where I'm jealous of XB1 users. I know "early access" gets some crap around here but I'd love it on PS4. I did just build a new PC but I still need to get a graphics card.

The nice thing about Game Preview is other than having the option to buy a game in early access, you're given a timed trial for the game to see if you want to put money down in the first place. It sold me on Elite for the Xbox One.

Corine

Not sure why everyone is saying it runs bad. Don't think it dips below 40fps on my i7 930 with a amd 280 other then when I'm in my base with 100+ tamed dinos. Yeah it was worse months and months ago when it first released but it's come a long long way since then. By far the best game I've played in years. Over 900 hours played and can easily see myself playing another 900+.

tuna_love

Banned
Not sure why everyone is saying it runs bad. Don't think it dips below 40fps on my i7 930 with a amd 280 other then when I'm in my base with 100+ tamed dinos. Yeah it was worse months and months ago when it first released but it's come a long long way since then. By far the best game I've played in years. Over 900 hours played and can easily see myself playing another 900+.
It seems to run better on amd for some reason. It is an amazing game. Building a base on the back a pterodactyl is so awesome

Corine

Imagine if it runs smooth on X1.

I don't see why they couldn't since it runs smooth now on PC. Just lower the graphics till it does. Of course any game like this is impossible to run at any given framerate since you can always add more to any given scenario. A scene running at a stable 30-60 fps will have it's performance drastically changed if 20 people all riding 20 different dinos all with different custom paint jobs show up on your screen. I have a good 100 or so dinos just at my base of course it's going to run a lot worse than if I only had 5 dinos. Probably the most technically impressive game coming in 2016 minus whatever Star Citizen modules get released.

tuna_love

Banned
isn't this spose to be on psvr? if they can get it to locked 60 on ps4 im sure they can manage a decent framerate on xbox.

Has some technical issues on PC, but as long as it runs well on Xbox One this is a good holiday game. Hope people give it a chance and enjoy it; I had a blast with it on PC.

camac002

Remember when "low" settings used to mean a complete and utterly barren world, zero shadows, lighting. Adjusting PC settings on Games like Crysis 3, Ryse made me realise that even if not preferred, many games these days are still decent looking at Low.

Certain parts didn't look as good as others, but most of this looks rather good. If this istruly Xbox One, it looks really damn fine.

Game Preview always offers a trial of an hour or so, right?

zethren

Banned
I've never even heard of this game before now, what the hell did I just watch? Dinosaurs, sci-fi, medieval knights, giant snakes, etc. This looks amazing.

Top Bottom