• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ark Survival Evolved Xbox One gameplay reveal; Dec 16 release

The best part.

Gollum statue.

54efb434082d09699edefc8a637a5dfd.jpg

Chucker

GTX 760 and FX8320 here. I get about 25fps on lowest settings at 1080p

I mean I get dips when I'm in the deep forest, but still.
Edit: To be fair, it ran like crap when it came out, and about 3 months after. When the free weekend came around it ran pretty nicely. I've got a PS4 and a Bone, I'm interested to see how well it runs, but I doubt they'd put out a flipbook slideshow and advertise it as they have.

GRaider81

Holy shit is this what Ark looks like now? Have this in library, going to have to fire it up again!

gave up on it due to being a bit boring plus performance issues (980ti)

Def looks more interesting now

Galucha

Neo Member
I mean I get dips when I'm in the deep forest, but still.
Edit: To be fair, it ran like crap when it came out, and about 3 months after. When the free weekend came around it ran pretty nicely. I've got a PS4 and a Bone, I'm interested to see how well it runs, but I doubt they'd put out a flipbook slideshow and advertise it as they have.

Yeah i would like to see how it runs now, if its any different. I bought it on steam last month and ended up refunding it because of the performance.

HeeHo

Thats gotta be a PC running what we saw. I still play this til this day and I have made a bunch of tweaks to get the game to run on my pc around 30 fps on medium settings (gtx 750, AMD 3.5 processor, 8 Gb ram) unless they really have super optimized it. This game heavily relies on servers for MP, I wonder what they'll do with that...

The draw of the multiplayer is having a big base and high level Dino's to show off even when you're offline. It'd suck the fun out of it if it's P2P connection only. Especially in PVP.

I think it's gonna be one of those "game preview" games on Xbox One. You can actually play them for like 3 hours before buying them, so I'll at least give it a try. Hope it runs decently.

The Flash

Banned
I think it's gonna be one of those "game preview" games on Xbox One. You can actually play them for like 3 hours before buying them, so I'll at least give it a try. Hope it runs decently.

Game Previews are usually one hour. Hopefully it'll be longer for Ark considering the kind of game it is.

Thats gotta be a PC running what we saw. I still play this til this day and I have made a bunch of tweaks to get the game to run on my pc around 30 fps on medium settings (gtx 750, AMD 3.5 processor, 8 Gb ram) unless they really have super optimized it. This game heavily relies on servers for MP, I wonder what they'll do with that...

The draw of the multiplayer is having a big base and high level Dino's to show off even when you're offline. It'd suck the fun out of it if it's P2P connection only. Especially in PVP.

How the hell is the Bone gonna run this?

Xbox One can too enjoy the 480p 30fps boring world of Ark Survival!

@survivetheark Lotta questions about optimization on @Xbox - runs and looks great, lots of XB1-specific optimizations - more than PC atm!
https://twitter.com/arkjesse/status/674712009045250048

@3xpertGamin @jatstweeter @arkjesse @survivetheark @Xbox Depends on lots of things but usually between 30-45 FPS at launch.

Corine

Wow, better optimization on an Xbone than a good i7 with a 970 gtx.

They truly done it!

Not sure where you get that from. I get better than that fps on a way lesser card than a 970. He doesn't even mention at what res or graphics settings. Also "depends on a lot of things" could mean on a 30 person server with few tamed dinos and bases.

Not sure where you get that from. I get better than that fps on a way lesser card than a 970. He doesn't even mention at what res or graphics settings. Also "depends on a lot of things" could mean on a 30 person server with few tamed dinos and bases.

or a 2 meter draw distance. optimization is a nebulous word

FordGTGuy

Banned
or a 2 meter draw distance. optimization is a nebulous word

Optimization isn't a hazy word, there is a big difference between building a game to work across multiple generations or lines of GPUs and CPUs and with a specific set of hardware.

You'd think this would be painfully obvious on a gaming forum, optimization is what makes the difference between a launch X360/PS3 game and a end of generation X360/PS3 game(there is nothing hazy about that.).

LQX

I cant run this game on my PC all that well though it outspecs the XBox One by a huge margin. It will be interesting to see how it looks and performs in comparison.

Dazza

Not sure why everyone is saying it runs bad. Don't think it dips below 40fps on my i7 930 with a amd 280 other then when I'm in my base with 100+ tamed dinos. Yeah it was worse months and months ago when it first released but it's come a long long way since then. By far the best game I've played in years. Over 900 hours played and can easily see myself playing another 900+.

How the heck are they going to get it running on PSVR if it goes that low on your rig ?!?

Aw, you guys that like role playing, building, and dinosaurs will love this game.

It's a long wait for PS4 users but I'll be patient. I hope the console versions at least remain as populated as the PC side of things.

I like the game on PC, I just wish I had better hardware to run it at a higher framerate.

Also, it has heavy mod support since it is UE4. They even have an UE4 editor made specifically for ARK. The survival of the fittest tournament people are referring to is an example of a total conversion mod.

I've got way too many hours logged into this game despite the game running 30~fps on medium/low settings. It can be addictive because it is one of those games that plays really well with friends, but can become a drag if you play too much on your own.

I think it is a great game but may not be for everyone. And the console experience could be very different from PC because of dedicated servers (and many options to alter the experience) and mods. I've played the game in the vanilla state (somewhat, the server had pvp enabled weekend only but otherwise standard settings I think), but I've never actually played on an official server. This is also a game that is designed for populated servers. Playing with only 3-4 friends on a server could get boring pretty fast. Usually the servers I play on have around 40-70 people on average depending on the time of the day.

Bahlor

Man those are good news! I really hope it is already well optimized. But doesn't PS4 actually allow "early access"? I thought Dungeon Defenders 2 was also early access.

If this really runs at around 30-45 fps already, I actually can see PSVR happening with this title... amazing :)

Man those are good news! I really hope it is already well optimized. But doesn't PS4 actually allow "early access"? I thought Dungeon Defenders 2 was also early access.

If this really runs at around 30-45 fps already, I actually can see PSVR happening with this title... amazing :)

I dont see PSVR happening with that... VR will flop anyway.. better not waste resources on that.

Bahlor

I dont see PSVR happening with that... VR will flop anyway.. better not waste resources on that.

whowut.gif

I don't think so. Seems like the first real big step forward since a long time... and user feedback is extremely well so far. (If you ask ppl that experienced it)

Already own this game and love it, but my friend is getting it on XBO, so will be getting it as well next week. Excited! Havent played Ark a lot since August, and with all the changes im ready to jump back in

whowut.gif

I don't think so. Seems like the first real big step forward since a long time... and user feedback is extremely well so far. (If you ask ppl that experienced it)

high pricing and lack of marketability is going to kill it in its crib no matter how good it is.

Top Bottom