• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android Hardware Thread - 2009 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

I strongly doubt the Google Phone would have HTC Sense on it, but with the double mic to reduce background noise and speech to text on every app, they're definitely aiming for something and I'd like to see what they've come out with. Could voice eliminate most of the needs for the keyboard?

Bboy AJ said:
No trackball and a 4.3" OLED. I agree with the rest, however. Can't have it all, though. At least not without paying through the nose.

Wouldn't mind a 4.3" myself :p But yeah, any estimates on the price of this thing? I know there's nothing official yet j/w what you guys think.

Fatalah

I'm wondering if Google's set to make any announcements once the workweek begins tomorrow. Although, from a stock price perspective, they may wait until Q1.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Here is a better shot of the HTC Legend the succesor to the Hero.

htc_legend.jpg

htc_legend_specs.gif

Courtesy of ai.rs blog.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
I was also hoping for a bigger screen also but if thats what your looking there is the Bravo. The article also states that there would be updated version of HTC people and footprints.

Yeah, as long as they're making screens bigger than 3.2, like Bravo, then having them around isn't a huge deal, but I'm surprised the sequel to the Hero would be so similar. I'd expect atleast 3.5 to be honest.

Fatalah said:
I can't fit a goddanged tablet it my pocket. And I'm not into man purses!

lol. I clip a case onto my jean pocket so I wouldn't have an issue with a 4.0 screen.

N0J6m.jpg

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
The trackball is very handy on Android with text cursor positioning. I questioned it's use too, but since Android doesn't have a great text selection/highlight method like the iPhone yet (that I've seen), it's the least frustrating solution. It also comes in handy for picking out tiny links on a webpage. Besides, if you don't like it, don't use it. It's easy to ignore.

Also, not everyone wants a damn 4"+ screen. Cases that clip onto pants look unbelievably lame unless you're dressed for business. 3.5-3.7" is my limit simply due to pocketability.

If this phone is actually what it's rumored to be (the Google Phone, which Google will manage, oversee and improve like Apple does with their phone), I will be on-board Day 1. This is exactly what Android needs to stave off the fragmentation that has already occurred in the market and seemingly continues to limit developer support, as a result.

Also, from the Twitter-er who posted the first picture of the Nexus One:

Cory O'Brien said:
A few things to add: The Google Phone is exactly the same size as the iPhone. Screen is prob 5mm longer.

Same width as the iPhone, but taller by about 5mm (not including the buttons).

A 4in screen? Yes, please.

SimleuqiR

Google has in-house holiday game for Nexus One
Posted on Sunday, Dec 13, 2009 by Phil Nickinson

Nexus One google phone holiday game

thumb_450_nexus-one-holiday-game-agent.jpg.png

Who's ready for more Google phone news? Apparently the Big G has gotten into the holiday spirit with a Nexus One (that's the supposed code name, btw), with an online game that only shows up at android.com/holidays if your browser identifies itself as the one of the Nexus One. As you know, Google employees were given the phone to dogfood as internal testing.

Of course, browser IDs -- or User Agents, as they're known in the biz -- are easy to spoof. And so, you get what we see above. A little memory game. How quaint.

See you in a few hours with more Nexus One news, no doubt.

Jesus Google! I hope we hear something official tomorrow.

Totakeke

Pctx said:
Companies should be taking note on how to do a virial marketing campaign.

You don't have to do much viral marketing when every other tech blog out there is clamoring to do it for you because of your brand, and not because their "posting stuffs on twitter" is much of a viral marketing campaign.

Pctx

Banned
Totakeke said:
You don't have to do much viral marketing when every other tech blog out there is clamoring to do it for you because of your brand, and not because their "posting stuffs on twitter" is much of a viral marketing campaign.
which is my under lying point. If it's a product worth doing it for... do it right or don't do it at all. :)

Totakeke

Pctx said:
which is my under lying point. If it's a product worth doing it for... do it right or don't do it at all. :)

I don't think any of this was purposefully orchestrated if that's what you're saying. All they seem to have done is simply turn on a switch.

Totakeke said:
Could voice eliminate most of the needs for the keyboard?

If voicemail transcription for Google Voice is any indication of their voice to text abilities, I think we're still quite a bit away from that happening.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jamesfrom818 said:
If voicemail transcription for Google Voice is any indication of their voice to text abilities, I think we're still quite a bit away from that happening.
Tto be fair their voice to text accuracy in voice search is worlds better than the GV transcripts.

Jamesfrom818 said:

It's very silly to think GV's transcripts are indicative of the GPhone's voice-to-text capabilities, given the fact that its accuracy is wholly dependent on the incoming call's phone quality.

Jtwo said:
Tto be fair their voice to text accuracy in voice search is worlds better than the GV transcripts.

Yeah, that's always surprised me. The voice search on Android always knows what I'm saying, even if it's the weirdest shit. Then I see Google Voice transcripts getting the easiest things wrong. I guess that's a lot different behind the scenes, but it seems like it would be so similar to get working.

Vyse The Legend said:
It's very silly to think GV's transcripts are indicative of the GPhone's voice-to-text capabilities, given the fact that its accuracy is wholly dependent on the incoming call's phone quality.

I use it a lot because I have the people on my team call my GV # when they're going to miss work. Sometimes they're sick and sometimes they're not but the voicemail is almost always clear. If voice-to-text is going to work like shit if the user is sick, perhaps they should refine the technology a bit more.

If they do have something better, I just hope they implement it into Google Voice soon. The transcriptions I get are fucking hilarious.

Rumor: Looks like Verizon turned Google down, and T-Mobile stepped up to the plate as TmoNews' insider suggested a week ago.

Google (GOOG) has approached multiple carriers about supporting its new phone, which it has designed itself and will be produced by Taiwan’s HTC, offering this selling scenario, sources say...

But, so far, only T-Mobile has agreed to consider it and actively help push the phone via various distribution channels and support infrastructure, I’m told...

But, sources say Google’s decision to use GSM came only, because Verizon Wireless (VZ), which uses the rival CDMA technology, has so far declined to help Google push the new phone.

Source

Seeing as how they just launched the Droid, I can't really blame Verizon. They have a lot going on.

AT&T, on the other hand...they're just straight up racist against lil green robots.

SimleuqiR

Vyse The Legend said:
Rumor: Looks like Verizon turned Google down, and T-Mobile stepped up to the plate as TmoNews' insider suggested a week ago.

Source

It's like the iPhone all over again. Then again, the iPhone don't have much time on AT&T.

But I'm glad Magenta is supporting this phone! :D Since they are my first choice as a carrier.

Pctx

Banned
jonnybryce said:
Seeing as how they just launched the Droid, I can't really blame Verizon. They have a lot going on.

AT&T, on the other hand...they're just straight up racist against lil green robots.
One had... I love verizon and their network coverage.

On another... they are stupid for using different ranges than Tmo/AT&T and not letting people unlock their phones.

I suppose based on this news... Verizon is betting that the Droid or others to follow will keep people on their network.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
nexus_main_2.jpg

nexus_3.jpg

nexus_4.jpg

nexus_5.jpg

nexus_6.jpg

nexus_8.jpg

Well here you have it folks, honest-to-goodness pics of the Google Phone... AKA, the Nexus One. As you can see by the photos, the design of the device is largely similar to those we've seen, but the graphic on back is slightly different, and that piece of tape is covering a QR code (how very Google of them). Just like we've heard before, the updated OS features new 3D elements to the app tray, as well as an extended amount of homescreens, though it looks like the lock screen / mute is the same as in Android 2.0.1. Additionally, there's now a new grid icon at the bottom of the homescreen, which when pressed brings up a webOS card-style preview of all homescreen pages -- which raises some interesting possibilities. Apparently there's been a new software update for the device pushed tonight, and sure enough the phone is identified as the Nexus One on the system info page. Quite clearly this device is running on T-Mobile, and is also using WiFi, so there's two other questions you've got answers to. The phone also appears to come loaded up with Google Navigation (a bit of a no-brainer) and the brand-spanking-new Google Goggles. Hardware wise, the Nexus does look incredibly thin and sleek, and while there's not a slew of buttons (those four up front are clearly touch sensitive), there is a dedicated volume rocker along the side. Oh, and note this... no HTC logo anywhere to be found. We'll update the post as / if we get more info, but for now, feast your eyes on the gallery below!

Update: One item of interest. In the packaging there's a quick start guide which points users to a "questions" page at google.com/phone/support. The page is a dead end right now, but it certainly gets an eyebrow raise from us. If there is a real Google Phone in the offing, that seems a likely landing page for support.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/14/exclusive-first-google-phone-nexus-one-photos-android-2-1-on/

Ok, I'll be the first to say: HOLY FUCKING BALLS AT THE LAST PICTURE.

gimmmick

Jtwo said:
Ok, I'll be the first to say: HOLY FUCKING BALLS AT THE LAST PICTURE.

It looks like it's showing all the screens at one time, and you choose which one you want to be in?

I really hope google makes this affordable if they aren't going to be sold by the carriers. I love my g1, but if the price is right I'll pick this baby up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm more psyched for 2.1 than the phone.
Reports are that this thing still doesn't have multitouch and that is bad news bears for a device without a keyboard. The onscreen keyboard on the droid is a joke.

But yeah, that expose/cardview shit fucking radical. I hope it actually works like webos and allows you to keep different apps open on different homescreens. That's a pretty big oversight on android, in my opinion. I have two homescreens that are barely used. If I could keep a browser and IM client open on one of them and just swipe to the side to access them that would be amazing.

Totakeke

DieH@rd said:
Anyone knows what's the resolution of that display?

Most likely WVGA 800x480.

Yeah I'm hoping that panel thing also doubles as an app switcher. but where does that leave the app tray at? No multi-touch on google stuff probably won't come as a surprise.

3G confirmed for both AT&T and T-Mobile. Im so hyped for this device!

Im typing out my ebay auction description for my iPhone right now...:D Its a great time to be a mobile device nerd.

EDIT: Engagdet just pulled back the 3G confirmation =\

SimleuqiR

HoTHiTTeR said:
Can't wait. I have my credit card number memorized in waiting for this...:lol

Google Checkout is your friend! :D

Iron_Scimitar said:
3G confirmed for both AT&T and T-Mobile. Im so hyped for this device!

Im typing out my ebay auction description for my iPhone right now...:D Its a great time to be a mobile device nerd.

EDIT: Engagdet just pulled back the 3G confirmation =\

I think is silly that if it is a GSM phone that it doesn't support both AT&T and T-mobile bands. But Google has had it's issues with AT&T in the past year.

I also find it weird that Verizon would have turn this down. But then again, big ma' bell companies don't like change in their industry, and Google is going to shake it up.

I really hope this phone comes out in January. Can't wait!

I'm more interested in the new desktop card views and other os changes than the phone now. That's pretty interesting.

segasonic said:
that case screams "Hello, I'm a nerd who never got laid."

It looks cool in real life, but I don't need to post pics on a message board in a thread about phones to prove anything to strangers. My friends call me a manwhore, not a nerd. But thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom