• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chittagong’s 12 Days of Christmas - giving away one classic PAL game a day 12/12 - 23

Endesu

Man, that Silent Hill combo looks excellent. Bumping to bring some attention to that. Been a fan of the series for ages now, and it would be nice to see somebody with no (or little) exposure to the series getting a chance to try it. I see a few good potential entries in this thread already.

Guess I'll throw one in here too - I've been something of a horror game collector for a good bit now, and the idea of picking up PAL or JPN variations on some of the titles I've loved most in these past years is very appealing. Big fan of the PAL cover arts, and I believe that SH2 has a bonus DVD with it? Lovely potential items to put up on a shelf.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Silent Hill is a really special franchise to me. After OoT, it's the second game me and my (now) wife played together. Well, I'd play, and she'd join the experience by trying to figure out what's going on, what is the role of all the characters, and where the game is heading. We'd watch that opening cinematic tens of times to figure it all out. The game is got that depth that allows you to speculate and debate on different possibilities of what might be going on. So I think Silent Hill 2 is perfect when you play it with someone.

Based on that, I think Lord British would have an awesome time with his wife playing the franchise - congrats!

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go in for the Silent Hill games - particularly 2! - simply because my wife and niece asked me if I owned it and I had to tell them "no". It would be great to go through it with them sometime, as they're developing a burgeoning interest in horror games.

And let's face it, playing Silent Hill 2 with my wife will probably doom our relationship. You know you want that, GAF.

Chittagong

Gold Member
And now, time for some GameCube love, the next daily prize!

Chittagong said:
DAY 4 - 15/12
GameCube Launch Fest!

Luigi’s Mansion - (GCN PAL) - GR 79.16%
Wave Race: Blue Storm (GCN PAL) - GR 82.51%
Pikmin (GCN PAL) - GR 86.71%

1FhamzX.jpg

GameCube had a magical launch lineup, with the massively atmospheric Luigi’s Mansion, incredibly good Wave Race sequel, and the last great new IP from Miyamoto, Pikmin. In retrospect it's easy to appreciate just how monumental the 'launch window' lineup of GameCube was. The purest form of Pikmin, the off-beat Mario launch game, and the last iteration of Wave Race are all phenomenal games that still hold up today.

daydream

Banned
i've always been a big fan of the original wave race ever since it came out. the wave physics were something else and lent the game a sense of excitement and unpredictability that has become an absolute key factor for the genre. even with games like hydro thunder or jet moto out there, wave race still remains king.

that said, i've never gotten around to getting blue storm despite it looking like a blast to play. as a collector (with ds, wii and n64 being the main platforms i focus on), i'd take excellent care of the copy. i haven't sold a video game in my life and been keeping everything in great condition. should i be so lucky as to win the copy, wave race: blue storm would be no exception to this.

also, big props to you for the generosity of giving all these games away. that's awesome, and i hope the winners appreciate it!

Ban Puncher

I wouldn't mind checking out that Apathetic Announcer unlock in Wave Race: Blue Storm. For some reason I cannot find my launch copies of Luigi's Mansion or Wave Race and some horrible person stole my Pikmin disc many moons ago during a house party. But I found the case and instructions in the bathroom, on the shelf in my shower.

What.

I have rare & hideously expensive GC component cables so I would do these titles and you proud, Chittagong.

Yka

Man, I would love to give that Luigi's Mansion as a late Christmas present to my 15 year old nephew who is an aspiring game collector. He recently got a GameCube and loves these older Nintendo games just as much as I do. He would surely keep a good care of the game and play it a lot. I actually have a copy of Luigi's Mansion 2 that I'm going to give him but I have been thinking about getting him the GameCube game first. Thanks for doing this, Chittagong!

Drippy

I'm in for this one. I remember that many years ago I saw a gameplay video from Wave Race on some kind of a TV show about video games and thought that it looks really cool. However, at that time GameCube was too expensive for me and I was playing mostly on PC.

I played a bit of Luigi's Mansion at my schoolmate's house back in the days and what I remember most was that hilarious GameBoy Horror thing. Would really like to return to this game and try to beat it.

What about Pikmin? Well, I've never played this one. I know that it's some kind of strategy game. I would definitely give it a try, because I was always curious about this series.

I haven't played any of those, but I don't have a GC or Wii no more. Pikimin and Wave Race seem like they'd be my kind of thing.
So I'm really just bumping the thread.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Man, I would love to give that Luigi's Mansion as a late Christmas present to my 15 year old nephew who is an aspiring game collector. He recently got a GameCube and loves these older Nintendo games just as much as I do. He would surely keep a good care of the game and play it a lot. I actually have a copy of Luigi's Mansion 2 that I'm going to give him but I have been thinking about getting him the GameCube game first. Thanks for doing this, Chittagong!

Looks like we have another winner - congrats!

Man, you must be the coolest uncle. Your nephew will no doubt have an amazing time playing GameCube, the games still play very well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Today, a collectible for Halo fans!

Chittagong said:
DAY 5 - 16/12
The Complete Halo 2
Halo 2 - (Xbox PAL) - GR 94.57%
Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack - (Xbox PAL) - GR 88.04%

gyE7XhS.jpg

Possibly still the greatest MP Halo experience to date, Halo 2 introduced me to online gaming. I put on enormous amounts of hours into it. The campaign is epic too, even if controversial. The collector's edition comes with some lovely documentaries of the making of the game.

Aw man, the only time I've decided to take a little step back from the Internet, and GameCube games were on giveaway. Well, congrats to Yka and his nephew - they are going to have some good time! :)

I happily provide a bump to the thread. It's very nice to see expansions/data packs being featured - it can be hard to find a complete version of some games. As far as I see, this Halo 2 set is as complete as it could be!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Aw man, the only time I've decided to take a little step back from the Internet, and GameCube games were on giveaway. Well, congrats to Yka and his nephew - they are going to have some good time! :)

I happily provide a bump to the thread. It's very nice to see expansions/data packs being featured - it can be hard to find a complete version of some games. As far as I see, this Halo 2 set is as complete as it could be!

There will be more GameCube on Friday night, it's a big one too ;-)

Yka

Looks like we have another winner - congrats!

Man, you must be the coolest uncle. Your nephew will no doubt have an amazing time playing GameCube, the games still play very well.

Wow, all three games! Thanks a lot! I'm pretty sure my nephew doesn't own any of these games yet. This will put a smile on his face! :)

EDIT: He owns Wind Waker, Metroid Prime, Star Fox Adventures and a few third-party games, so this is a great addition to his GameCube collection!

Hey Chittagong,

I would absolutely love to own that copy of Halo 2. I recently bought an OG Xbox from a bootsale, it was (I thought) a complete steal, it came with about 20 games, Halo 2 was one of those games. However being a bootsale, there comes some risk, well the console it self didn't work (I have since bought another one that does work) and disappointingly there was no disc in the Halo 2 box. It's something that has been on my list for a while but I tend not to just buy games on eBay, I like to spot things in the wild or from fantastic gestures like the one you are doing. I have every other Halo on their original console, with the exception of Halo 2. Plus I'm a whore for a steel bookcase.

Thanks,

Nick

Never owned a Xbox but I do have fond memories of Halo 2 from playing it around my friends. We played it a lot.

So yeah, just bumping for awareness.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hey Chittagong,

I would absolutely love to own that copy of Halo 2. I recently bought an OG Xbox from a bootsale, it was (I thought) a complete steal, it came with about 20 games, Halo 2 was one of those games. However being a bootsale, there comes some risk, well the console it self didn't work (I have since bought another one that does work) and disappointingly there was no disc in the Halo 2 box. It's something that has been on my list for a while but I tend not to just buy games on eBay, I like to spot things in the wild or from fantastic gestures like the one you are doing. I have every other Halo on their original console, with the exception of Halo 2. Plus I'm a whore for a steel bookcase.

Thanks,

Nick

Well it looks like the Halo 2 set knows where to go - congrats!

Please give me your apartment :)

Haha, it's actually going on the market next year as we desperately play catch up to your spectacular views! At least now I'm forced to get myself around taking new pics!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Next up, Finland's gift to Xbox 360:

Chittagong said:
DAY 6 - 17/12
Alan Wake Limited Edition - (Xbox 360 PAL) - 83.97%
inc. story book and special disc

OTwXkr9.jpg

Remedy, one of Finland’s greatest games companies, blew minds with this IP in E3 2005. I remember seeing Petri Jarvilehto demo the game behind closed doors on the ATI booth. I was instantly in love. I had no idea how long it would take for them to actually make the game, but I enjoyed the end result enormously, and hope they’ll do a sequel. This collector’s edition adds depth to the story.

Drippy

I've played Alan Wake on my low-spec PC after release and definitely loved it. One of the best survival horrors and generally one of my favourite games from last generation. I would love to replay this one on X360, by the way earning some achievements. Also, having collector's edition would be great, because on PC I've bought my game only as a Steam key. I promise that I will find some special place in my room for this one.

Anyway, thanks for another amazing giveaway, Chittagong!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Right, Friday prize time. Finland's best goes to Drippy, congrats!

I've played Alan Wake on my low-spec PC after release and definitely loved it. One of the best survival horrors and generally one of my favourite games from last generation. I would love to replay this one on X360, by the way earning some achievements. Also, having collector's edition would be great, because on PC I've bought my game only as a Steam key. I promise that I will find some special place in my room for this one.

Anyway, thanks for another amazing giveaway, Chittagong!

Chittagong

Gold Member
And here is the Friday special, a healthy dose of GameCube Mario!

Chittagong said:
DAY 7 - 18/12
GameCube x Super Mario Mega Pack
Super Mario Sunshine - (GCN PAL) - GR 91.50%
Mario Kart Double Dash - (GCN PAL) - GR 87.20%
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - (GCN PAL) - GR 88.05%
Mario Party 4 - (GCN PAL) - GR 73.70%

rUm9lJK.jpg

GameCube was home for several excellent Mario games, it was the platform where all these formulas got properly nailed down after being experimented on N64.

Venom Fox

Banned
And here is the Friday special, a healthy dose of GameCube Mario!
This one is amazing and the first one I'll be entering. PM:TTYD is one of my all time best Mario games with Super Mario 64 close by. I never got to try Mario Party 4 so if I won that's the one I'd start off on. Wow. I wouldnt even know where to begin trying to explain how much I loved SMS. My first experience with SMS was inside a Toys R US on a demo machine and I remember being amazed by FLUDD, I think I gave my Nan a permanent headache that day asking if she'd buy it me lol. She caved in and bought me it, funnily enough she never took me to Toys R US again after that day. :)

These games would be treasured for ever and passed on to my daughter when she's old enough to appreciate and look after them.

Once again, thanks Chittagong and keep up the good work!

maxcriden

It boggles my mind that this thread hasn't taken off more. Today's giveaway includes one of the best games of all time. Kudos to Chittagong for their immense generosity!

ps3ud0

Damn a nice giveaway - too much to hope for a Shenmue Dreamcast bundle? I got a bit KS happy and threw around £100 at Shenmue 3 and Ive never played the first two (tho well aware of their existence, just was a PC gamer) and now I think it be a good idea to, problem is so many others think the same way!

ps3ud0 8)

Damn. I'd love to play Sunshine and Paper Mario. But I don't have a GameCube or Wii. The giveaway still continues to deliver.

Venom Fox

Banned
It boggles my mind that this thread hasn't taken off more. Today's giveaway includes one of the best games of all time. Kudos to Chittagong for their immense generosity!
I know right, I keep seeing this thread and thinking that it should really be common. Shame really.

You were right - this set is sure a big one! That's exactly what I was hoping for.

The reason I was waiting for GameCube games is that I have started discovering GameCube library only months ago. However, since GameCube is a rare sight in country I live in, I ended up with an initial collection mostly consisting of third-party or multiplatform games I have not as much interest in as in good ol' Nintendo games. They are good, that's for sure, but they are not what I am buying Nintendo consoles for.

(That being said, I do have Super Mario Sunshine. Despite its quirks and unusually high difficulty, it's still a really fun game, with beautiful world, catchy music, impressive boss fights and secret levels and with probably the best and the most technical controls in 3D Mario games.)

Paper Mario: TTYD is the game I am most interested in. I have played only Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Paper Mario 64 (in this order), and while I haven't had as much problems with Sticker Star as other people, I was shocked at how much better the original was, especially in terms of characters, positional/environmental puzzles and combat system. I've heard nothing but good things about TTYD, and after the culture shock of PM64, I have really wanted to play the GameCube installment. However, it seemed like nobody wanted to sell this one (at least at reasonable price) - is it that good? - so I kind of forgot about it. My friends playing GameCube games advise me to resort to the piracy, but that's not my way. I like my old games just like my books!

I was hoping to try out Mario Kart: Double Dash for a long time just to see what this dual-player gimmick is all about (and I'd like to try DD-exclusive items and to revisit tracks I'm familiar with thanks to retro cups in modern Mario Kart games). I've heard this game actually allows to play co-op mode to control one kart with two players, and that makes me want to play this game with my younger brother who don't like us competing in games. But, of course, there are people I know who I'd like to compete with, and seeing how many times we've played nothing but Kart and Party on our StreetPass meetups, I'd like to throw a game party for us to play both Double Dash and Mario Party 4.

I'd be really happy to get these games, and you should be sure I'll treat them the best. Just following this giveaway made me feel good, and if I receive the games, I'll be thinking about them as a present from a really nice person.

Yka

I'm obviously not going to participate in this one but there are some seriously awesome GameCube games in this daily prize! Keep it going, Chittagong!

Fudo Myo

DAY 7 - 18/12
GameCube x Super Mario Mega Pack
Super Mario Sunshine - (GCN PAL) - GR 91.50%
Mario Kart Double Dash - (GCN PAL) - GR 87.20%
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - (GCN PAL) - GR 88.05%
Mario Party 4 - (GCN PAL) - GR 73.70%

GameCube was home for several excellent Mario games, it was the platform where all these formulas got properly nailed down after being experimented on N64.

Hey Chittagong, this is simply an incredible thing you are doing here, thanks for keeping the true meaning of Christmas alive!

I would love to have Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door in my collection. I have been looking for it in the wild for YEARS.This and Path of Radiance are the last two games I need to round out my Game Cube collection. I use to work at Nintendo of America and know all the people who localised this game. They all said it was one they were most proud of, but I could never find it, even at the famous garage sales that Nintendo held for its employees internally. My wife made me leave my dream job to move to the UK two years ago so she could live closer to family. I've been crying ever since. This would be a small consolation prize for giving up my dream job and making life in the UK a modicum more tolerable (I don't mean that as an insult to the UK! Just still pining away for my old life in Redmond).

No sweat if goes to another good home, but if you did decide to pick me, it would make me really, really happy -- the best thing I could have on Christmas day.

Thanks again. I hope to do something like this myself some day.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Today was a tough one, a lot of GameCube love, especially for Paper Mario. This one goes out to DownGrader, congrats! Since he already has Super Mario Sunshine, that needs to find a home...

You were right - this set is sure a big one! That's exactly what I was hoping for.

The reason I was waiting for GameCube games is that I have started discovering GameCube library only months ago. However, since GameCube is a rare sight in country I live in, I ended up with an initial collection mostly consisting of third-party or multiplatform games I have not as much interest in as in good ol' Nintendo games. They are good, that's for sure, but they are not what I am buying Nintendo consoles for.

(That being said, I do have Super Mario Sunshine. Despite its quirks and unusually high difficulty, it's still a really fun game, with beautiful world, catchy music, impressive boss fights and secret levels and with probably the best and the most technical controls in 3D Mario games.)

Paper Mario: TTYD is the game I am most interested in. I have played only Paper Mario: Sticker Star and Paper Mario 64 (in this order), and while I haven't had as much problems with Sticker Star as other people, I was shocked at how much better the original was, especially in terms of characters, positional/environmental puzzles and combat system. I've heard nothing but good things about TTYD, and after the culture shock of PM64, I have really wanted to play the GameCube installment. However, it seemed like nobody wanted to sell this one (at least at reasonable price) - is it that good? - so I kind of forgot about it. My friends playing GameCube games advise me to resort to the piracy, but that's not my way. I like my old games just like my books!

I was hoping to try out Mario Kart: Double Dash for a long time just to see what this dual-player gimmick is all about (and I'd like to try DD-exclusive items and to revisit tracks I'm familiar with thanks to retro cups in modern Mario Kart games). I've heard this game actually allows to play co-op mode to control one kart with two players, and that makes me want to play this game with my younger brother who don't like us competing in games. But, of course, there are people I know who I'd like to compete with, and seeing how many times we've played nothing but Kart and Party on our StreetPass meetups, I'd like to throw a game party for us to play both Double Dash and Mario Party 4.

I'd be really happy to get these games, and you should be sure I'll treat them the best. Just following this giveaway made me feel good, and if I receive the games, I'll be thinking about them as a present from a really nice person.

... and it seems Venom Fox is bit of a fan, congrats!

This one is amazing and the first one I'll be entering. PM:TTYD is one of my all time best Mario games with Super Mario 64 close by. I never got to try Mario Party 4 so if I won that's the one I'd start off on. Wow. I wouldnt even know where to begin trying to explain how much I loved SMS. My first experience with SMS was inside a Toys R US on a demo machine and I remember being amazed by FLUDD, I think I gave my Nan a permanent headache that day asking if she'd buy it me lol. She caved in and bought me it, funnily enough she never took me to Toys R US again after that day. :)

These games would be treasured for ever and passed on to my daughter when she's old enough to appreciate and look after them.

Once again, thanks Chittagong and keep up the good work!

Chittagong

Gold Member
And today's prize is two GAF favourites:

Chittagong said:
DAY 8 - 19/12
PS2 Fan Favourites
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - (PS2 PAL) - GR 91.77%
Rez (PS2 PAL) - GR 81.54%

0Cc0efY.jpg

Two games that both have a loving, loyal fan base. MGS3 took us on a surprise trip back in time, and introduced depth and immersion unseen in a videogame (PRUUWUU!!). Rez was just mindblowing, a magical, hard-to-describe audiovisual trip that’s best experienced first hand.

Venom Fox

Banned
Today was a tough one, a lot of GameCube love, especially for Paper Mario. This one goes out to DownGrader, congrats! Since he already has Super Mario Sunshine, that needs to find a home...

Thanks Chittagong!and congrats to DownGrader! What a wonderful entry! Fully deserved. Super Mario Sunshine is an amazing game!
And today's prize is two GAF favourites:
Snaaaake eaaaater! As you can tell by my avatar MGS is my all time favourite franchise. Good look to whoever wins. I'm not going to participate as I just won SMS, im not a greedy sod and I already own MGS3 so I hope whoever wins enjoys one of the best games on the planet.

Whoa, thank you! I'm so happy! And I'm glad Super Mario Sunshine won't be left too. I will PM you in minutes!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Good morning everyone! Just a quick reminder for winners to PM me their shipping address by 22/12

Remember, if you don't want to blow your Gaf cover, feel free to have your prize shipped to a friend, work, family... I'll get everything in post on the 23/12.

oldmario

gonna try and win REZ and MGS3 i've always had an interest in REZ but sadly i could never find it in the gamestores near me and i didn't have a 360 long enough to get a chance at buying the HD remaster either, now ontp a game i've played and love, MGS3 is one of my favourite games that i ever played on ps2 but before the HD remaster release i foolishly sold both games and their subsistance/substance editions thinking all content would be in them but i was wrong with the snake vs monkey minigame missing which i adored so i wouldn't mind that too specifically just for that feature

Tamanator

I've always wanted to try out Rez ever since I first learnt about it approximately 5 years ago (Thanks to the transvibrator). Whilst I owned a PS2 back in the day, I never really delved into its library outside of games such as GTA Vice City and Singstar since my parents bought one primarily to act as a DVD player. Rez fascinates me as I have had a love of rail shooters ever since playing Lylat Wars for the first time with my brother when it first released. The fusion with electronic music further intrigues me as I am always interested to see how video games utilise music without resorting to becoming a pure music game.

(An Australian here btw. Not sure how far you're casting your net regarding postage, so feel free to count me out if necessary).

Chittagong

Gold Member
Time for MGS3 and Rez find their home! Tough one again, but here goes - congrats!

gonna try and win REZ and MGS3 i've always had an interest in REZ but sadly i could never find it in the gamestores near me and i didn't have a 360 long enough to get a chance at buying the HD remaster either, now ontp a game i've played and love, MGS3 is one of my favourite games that i ever played on ps2 but before the HD remaster release i foolishly sold both games and their subsistance/substance editions thinking all content would be in them but i was wrong with the snake vs monkey minigame missing which i adored so i wouldn't mind that too specifically just for that feature

Chittagong

Gold Member
Today's prize is no less than SIX different Zelda games for GameCube! Who knew there were so many, and that's not even all of them?

Chittagong said:
DAY 9 - 20/12
The Ultimate Zelda Experience!
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - (GCN PAL) - GR 94.43%
The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition - (GCN PAL) - GR 92.17%
(inc. The Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask)

rEB7OTE.jpg

Quite possibly the greatest Zelda collection ever made, or ever to be made, few remember that Majora’s Mask saw one re-release already before 3DS, or that you could play 7 Zelda games on GameCube.

Today and tomorrow are GameCube giveaways, so Nintendo fans stay tuned!

Top Bottom