• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chittagong’s 12 Days of Christmas - giving away one classic PAL game a day 12/12 - 23

Chittagong

Gold Member
Over years I have built a small stash of classic games that are just too legendary to throw away, but for which I have lost means to play. Many of these games are GAF favourites.

So, each day of the 12 days leading up to Christmas Eve (12/12 to 23/12), I’ll be giving out a new daily prize, which might be one game, or more.

Thread rules
1 - New daily prize is announced each evening UK time, and OP updated
2 - You can win the daily prize by saying why it should be you, and go to your collection
3 - When new prize is announced each evening, so is the winner of the previous one
4 - All games will be shipped on the afternoon of 23/12

How are daily winners chosen?
My main wish is that the game provides someone with happiness, and will get played, instead of being discarded. At best, it becomes a part of a collection. So when picking the winners, I will go through all replies indicating interest in the game. Be sure to let me know why you’d want it, and be a good home for it! If it’s very even, the winner will be drawn at random.

FINAL PRIZE - DAY 12 - 23/12
Hideo Kojima’s
Zone of the Enders: Second Runner SE (PS2 PAL)
- GR 83.45%
Shrink-wrapped!
Winner - Ghost_Messiah

b9ETWwK.jpg

The ultimate game in my giveaway is a shrink wrapped sequel Hideo Kojima’s Zone of Enders. This is a game that few people played, but that has a passionate following among fans. The last entry ever in the series, I never got around playing it, as Half-Life 2 and Xbox 360 captured my attention in 2005. This game is made by HIDEO KOJIMA and the package says so.

DAY 11 - 22/12
Street Fighter IV TE Edition Stick for Xbox 360
PLEASE NOTE - this is only available for London pickup

A phenomenal arcade stick I bought for Street Fighter IV, this stick saw a lot of use with the game, as well as with Street Fighter x Tekken. Thanks to the Sanwa parts, it’s still as good as new, and can be repurposed to spare parts, too.

DAY 10 - 21/12
GameCube Third Party Exclusives
Ikaruga - (GCN PAL) - GR 85.54%
Resident Evil (GCN PAL) - GR 89.75%
Freeloader (import game enabler)
Winner - Tamanator

Ikaruga is another game introduced to me by GAF. A hard-as-nails shooter from Treasure, its GameCube debut was highly anticipated after Dreamcast was discontinued. Resident Evil was a superb remake of the original game, part of Capcom’s enormous (and commercially ill advised) commitment to Nintendo.

DAY 9 - 20/12
The Ultimate Zelda Experience!
The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - (GCN PAL) - GR 94.43%
The Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition - (GCN PAL) - GR 92.17%
(inc. The Legend of Zelda, Zelda 2: Adventure of Link. The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time, The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask)
Winner - Jonneh3003

Quite possibly the greatest Zelda collection ever made, or ever to be made, few remember that Majora’s Mask saw one re-release, or that you could play 6 Zelda games on GameCube.

DAY 8 - 19/12
PS2 Fan Favourites
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - (PS2 PAL) - GR 91.77%
Rez (PS2 PAL) - GR 81.54%
Winner - oldmario

Two games that both have a loving, loyal fan base. MGS3 took us on a surprise trip back in time, and introduced depth and immersion unseen in a videogame (PRUUWUU!!). Rez was just mindblowing, a magical, hard-to-describe audiovisual trip that’s best experienced first hand.

DAY 7 - 18/12
GameCube x Super Mario Mega Pack
Super Mario Sunshine - (GCN PAL) - GR 91.50%
Mario Kart Double Dash - (GCN PAL) - GR 87.20%
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - (GCN PAL) - GR 88.05%
Mario Party 4 - (GCN PAL) - GR 73.70%
Winners - Downgrader (Paper Mario TTYD, Mario Kart DD, Mario Party 4), Venom Fox (Super Mario Sunshine)

GameCube was home for several excellent Mario games, it was the platform where all these formulas got properly nailed down after being experimented on N64.

DAY 6 - 17/12
Alan Wake Limited Edition - (Xbox 360 PAL) - 83.97%
inc. story book and special disc
Winner - Drippy
Remedy, one of Finland’s greatest games companies, blew minds with this IP in E3 2005. I remember seeing Petri Jarvilehto demo the game behind closed doors on the ATI booth. I was instantly in love. I had no idea how long it would take for them to actually make the game, but I enjoyed the end result enormously, and hope they’ll do a sequel. This collector’s edition adds depth to the story.

DAY 5 - 16/12
The Complete Halo 2
Halo 2 - (Xbox PAL) - GR 94.57%
Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack - (Xbox PAL) - GR 88.04%
Winner - nickfrancis86
Possibly still the greatest MP Halo experience to date, Halo 2 introduced me to online gaming. I put on enormous amounts of hours into it. The campaign is epic too, even if controversial. The collector's edition comes with some lovely documentaries of the making of the game.

DAY 4 - 15/12
GameCube Launch Fest!

Luigi’s Mansion - (GCN PAL) - GR 79.16%
Wave Race: Blue Storm (GCN PAL) - GR 82.51%
Pikmin (GCN PAL) - GR 86.71%
Winner - Yka
GameCube had a magical launch lineup, with the massively atmospheric Luigi’s Mansion, incredibly good Wave Race sequel, and the last great new IP from Miyamoto, Pikmin. In retrospect it's easy to appreciate just how monumental the 'launch window' lineup of GameCube was. The purest form of Pikmin, the off-beat Mario launch game, and the last iteration of Wave Race are all phenomenal games that still hold up today.

DAY 3 - 14/12
Every Silent Hill game ever released (seriously, there are no others!)

Silent Hill - (PS1 PAL) - GR 84.99%
Silent Hill 2 - (PS2 PAL) - GR 85.82%
Silent Hill 3 - (PS2 PAL) - GR 83.77%
Silent Hill 4: The Room - (PS2 PAL) - GR 75.91%
Winner - Lord British
I have been a massive Silent Hill fan ever since Silent Hill 2, which I still consider the greatest story in a videogame, and one of the best games ever made. I even went to see Akira Yamaoka perform in London. Silent Hill 2 was also one of the first games to include a making-of documentary, which offers a lovely look into AAA game development at the turn of the millennium. The other mainline entries are fantastic, too. Silent Hill 1 is a full game on a promo disc, a friend of mine at PlayStation gave it to me after I raved about 2.

DAY 2 - 13/12
3DS Launch Double Pack!
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS EU)- GR 93.89%
Pilotwings Resort (3DS EU) - GR 71.94%
Winner - mrklaw (Pilotwings), Dambrosi (Zelda Oot)
3DS launch didn’t offer enormous choice, but two really solid games came out in the launch window. Legend of Zelda: OoT arrived a few months after day one, and is a fantastic remake of the critically acclaimed original, while Pilotwings made a surprise return in an enjoyable, small portable game, making good use of the new 3D effect.

DAY 1 - 12/12
Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox, PAL) - GR 90.36%
Winner - Tambini
This is one of the first games that GAF ever introduced to me, I got it along with my original Xbox, and it’s one of the last games remaining, a reminder of Sega’s golden age as a 3rd party publisher.

FAQs

Why are you giving these games away, instead of getting an used console on the cheap?
I have completed most of these games, and with new ones releasing all the time, I don’t think I will ever have time to go back to something I’ve played.

Why not sell these on eBay?
First of all, it’s a lot of work. Secondly, I don’t really need the money. Third, I want to give back to the community that I have enjoyed so much since 2002. In fact, many of these games were introduced to me by GAF.

What happens when I win?
You’ll simply need to PM me your shipping address. You can expect your game after Christmas, depending on where you live.

Will you ship anywhere in the world?
I will ship 11 out of the 12 prizes anywhere. One is way too bulky, so that will be London pickup only.

There is a better way to select the winner!
That’s not really a question, but I’m all ears anyway.

Can the same person win twice?
I don’t know yet. Maybe?

Who pays import tax?
You do.

Do I have to tell my name and address if I win? I don't want to blow my cover!
No need. I simply need an address where to ship the goods. So as long as your prize can be delivered there and you get it from there, it doesn't matter what it says.

I didn't know a thread like this is allowed on GAF?
Neither did I, which is why I asked EviLore (it's ok, he said).

I like the idea of this.

I don't have an original Xbox so I don't really have a need for Panzer Dragoon. Feels like something I should play some day.

Tambini

That's awesome thanks for doing this

I literally got hold of an original xbox last week and have started to grow a collection (currently playing Genma Onimusha as I type this) I'm really impressed by the xbox so far, I'd love to add it to my collection and let you know my impressions of it

Mr. Virus

Adding to the "this is really cool OP" sentiment. Will keep an eye on this, recently re-acquired my old consoles and looking for some games for my girlfriend to play through as she missed a lot of older stuff.

Semi-relevant: Orta was the first OG Xbox game I bought. Before I had an Xbox...

Midas

Great idea. Maybe this should become a trend. I have way too many games that I'll never play again.

Kiitos.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Glad everyone likes the idea! Was hard to figure out what to do with these games. Others I have traded in years ago, but the ones left I have hung to. I have some pretty cool ones lined up for the next days too. And it sounds like we have our first candidate for Panzer Dragoon Orta too!

Ogni-XR21

That's a really nice christmas-ey thread.

Since I already own PDO I have no need for this one and I only have an imported US-NTSC Xbox anyway.

Great gesture with this thread OP, if I enter it'll have to be for something I really want, it'd make the little writeup to send all the easier after all.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Right, the sun is setting in London, so it's time to pick the lucky new owner of Panzer Dragoon Orta (Xbox).

I think it's clear it'll go to Tambini to go with his new Xbox! Congrats!!

I literally got hold of an original xbox last week and have started to grow a collection (currently playing Genma Onimusha as I type this) I'm really impressed by the xbox so far, I'd love to add it to my collection and let you know my impressions of it

What happens when I win?
You’ll simply need to PM me your shipping address. You can expect your game after Christmas, depending on where you live.

Do I have to tell my name and address if I win? I don't want to blow my cover!
No need. I simply need an address where to ship the goods. So as long as your prize can be delivered there and you get it from there, it doesn't matter what it says.

I won't be participating in this competition, but just wanted to show my appreciation for your initiative by giving you a bump.
Thanks for giving back to your community and reintroducing classics to (hopefully) people who have never had a chance to play/appreciate them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
E9iulMC.jpg

DAY 2 - 13/12
3DS Launch Double Pack!
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3DS EU)- GR 93.89%
Pilotwings Resort (3DS EU) - GR 71.94%
Winner - TBD
3DS launch didn’t offer enormous choice, but two really solid games came out in the launch window. Legend of Zelda: OoT arrived a few months after day one, and is a fantastic remake of the critically acclaimed original, while Pilotwings made a surprise return in an enjoyable, small portable game, making good use of the new 3D effect.

And here is the prize for Day 2, some Nintendo first party goodness for a more recent console!

I won't be participating in this competition, but just wanted to show my appreciation for your initiative by giving you a bump.
Thanks for giving back to your community and reintroducing classics to (hopefully) people who have never had a chance to play/appreciate them.

Thanks, much appreciated! While today's prize is more recent, but there are some older classics to come in the next few days!

I have both of these titles, but I was eagerly anticipating the arrival of a new day to see new games, and I think it will be interesting just to follow this giveaway even if I won't find anything for me. Again, that's very nice of you! I hope someone will catch up with your idea in the future and it becomes a tradition here.

I've never played OoT until the 3ds version came out because I never owned a N64. When the 3ds version came out I was able to rent it at Blockbusters for the weekend a couple of months after launch. I only played a couple of hours of it (school homework wooo) before I had to return it but it was a great few hours at that, and I'd love to continue my adventure at some point.

As I said, I never owned a N64 so I haven't been able to play the Pilotwings series either. I bought the 3DS the day it came out (before it had the £80 price drop 5 months after launch...) and Pilotwings Resort was a serious contender for my 1 launch game (Could only afford 1 game) but was lost to SFIV because it was £5 cheaper and reviews seemed to suggest SFIV had more content. By the time I could afford another game there were other games I wanted to buy so Pilotwings slowly faded out of my mind.

Venom Fox

Banned
Your truly awesome Chittagong! Granting people happiness! Our very own genie in a bottle (thread) :)
This will officially be my first ever entry into a giveaway. I literally just bought a New on Friday and I'm planning to spend a lot of time with it! And Ocarina of Time would be a perfect game to start me off with. I'd treasure it forever in my heart.

Once again, thanks and good luck to whomever wins!

Never played Pilot Wings before but I've heard good things! As for OoT my only memories of it are playing my friends house as a kid. Never owned a N64 until a few years ago. Zelda ftw.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'd love pilotwings resort. I remember buying it at launch but not playing as much as I'd like, and I've since sold it on. Now I have a new 3DS where the 3D actually works so it'd be good to revisit it. Plus pilotwings is one of my all time favourite series on Nintendo consoles, ever since I saw the original SNES version running on a Super Famicom in the window of TeleGames, my local importer.

Ogni-XR21

I don't have a 3DS so I'm out for this round but I'll happily bump this thread. (I was thinking about asking for them to give them to my nephew but he never played Skyward Sword which i got for him last christmas so it would be wasted on him I guess, plus there are actual gaffers who want these).

I never got a 3DS at launch. I got my 3DS around the time Animal Crossing New Leaf launched. My introduction to the Zelda series was actually when I got a GameCube one year for my Birthday when I was a littler me (knowing me it was probably because of Pokemon Coloseum) and it came with Mario Kart and the Zelda Collection. I loved OoT and MM, but I haven't got around to getting the port/remakes on the 3DS, it has always been a case of I could never find it for a reasonable enough price. Plus I didn't get my 3DS at launch, if I did I'd probably already own those two games.
Now I think about it I also had Ocarina of Time and Master Quest. I was a dumb kid who bought Wind Waker second hand at one point from Gamestation and I just got that for free with it. I don't think I have any of my copies of Ocarina of Time anymore. They're probably in the hands of old school friends, or lost during the move between houses.

Pilotwings I don't really have any strong feelings towards. I never tried it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well it's certainly going to be tough to pick a winner!

Really excited about today's prize too, this one is one of my all time personal favourites, a gaming experience with a lot of memories

Dambrosi

Banned
Is there still time to enter for OOT 3DS?

Because I already own Majora's Mask 3DS (it was the first game I got with my New 3DS, Collectors' Edition too) and I'd really love to complete the set, if only to see which of the two is actually superior :p

To whoever wins - Congrats!

Orgen

Good initiative Chittagong! Very nice of you doing this giveaway.

I don't know if there's still time to enter the Pilotwings and OOT giveaway but I'll say that I hold fond memories about Zelda: OOT being gifted to me in Christmas 17 years ago... unwrapping the gift, seeing the black/Golden box, putting the cartridge and playing with Link in 3D is one of the best gaming memories I have and I hope someone can have similar memories with you OOT 3D giveaway!

Pilotwings Resort was the first 3D game that I played for 3DS in a mall and gave me the wow factor of being able to see 3D without glasses (I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to see 3D because of my eyesight).

Anyway I'll be visiting the thread to see your future giveaways! Good job :D

You sir, are a true gentleman and an all-round rad dude.

In case you're still taking submissions for today:

I would like Pilotwings Resort & Zelda OoT 3D. I've only had a 3DS for a month and the only games I have is Layton Miracle Mask and Codename Steam. I love them both but OoT 3D has been on my wish list ever since it was revealed; I've only ever played through OoT once on the Wii VC. I adored it and can't wait to try the remake to see all the improvements they made.

I've never tried Pilotwings Resort but have been intrigued by it for ages. I love the setting of Wuhu Island in Wii Sports Resort & Wii Fit and getting to visit it again in 3D on a goddamn jetpack seems freaking awesome to me.

Drippy

I don't have a 3DS, so I won't participate in this stage, but it is really an awesome initiative. I will definitely follow this giveaway, I'm very curious what games you have prepared for next days :).

Chittagong

Gold Member
This one was really tough, so I decided that best split it in two. Pilotwings winner is mrklaw, congrats!

I'd love pilotwings resort. I remember buying it at launch but not playing as much as I'd like, and I've since sold it on. Now I have a new 3DS where the 3D actually works so it'd be good to revisit it. Plus pilotwings is one of my all time favourite series on Nintendo consoles, ever since I saw the original SNES version running on a Super Famicom in the window of TeleGames, my local importer.

Zelda was a real draw, so many people who I'd love to send it to. So here goes go Dambrosi, congrats!

Is there still time to enter for OOT 3DS?

Because I already own Majora's Mask 3DS (it was the first game I got with my New 3DS, Collectors' Edition too) and I'd really love to complete the set, if only to see which of the two is actually superior :p

To whoever wins - Congrats!

Thanks everyone for the awesome heartwarming entries, and hope you'll find something of interest in the next days!

Chittagong

Gold Member
Next one is bit of a personal biggie for me!

Chittagong said:
DAY 3 - 14/12
Every Silent Hill game ever released (seriously, there are no others!)
Silent Hill - (PS1 PAL) - GR 84.99%
Silent Hill 2 - (PS2 PAL) - GR 85.82%
Silent Hill 3 - (PS2 PAL) - GR 83.77%
Silent Hill 4: The Room - (PS2 PAL) - GR 75.91%

zAnjGYt.jpg

I have been a massive Silent Hill fan ever since Silent Hill 2, which I still consider the greatest story in a videogame, and one of the best games ever made. I even went to see Akira Yamaoka perform in London. Silent Hill 2 was also one of the first games to include a making-of documentary, which offers a lovely look into AAA game development at the turn of the millennium. The other mainline entries are fantastic, too. Silent Hill 1 is a full game on a promo disc, a friend of mine at PlayStation gave it to me after I raved about 2.

Venom Fox

Banned
This one was really tough, so I decided that best split it in two. Pilotwings winner is mrklaw, congrats!

Zelda was a real draw, so many people who I'd love to send it to. So here goes go Dambrosi, congrats!

Thanks everyone for the awesome heartwarming entries, and hope you'll find something of interest in the next days!

Next one is bit of a personal biggie for me!

DAY 3 - 14/12

Congrats to Mrklaw and Dambrosi!
That promo disc is cool and whomever wins it should really look after it. If it were me I'd frame it lol.
Anyway I'm sitting this one out so good luck everyone!

Cool of you to give away so much stuff that is dear to your heart Chittagong. Your amazing.

Whoa, that's a very nice set for anyone who want to go into the series! I've always liked the design of promo/press discs for PS1, too. Hovewer, I think I'll skip it since I think there is a person who will appreciate these games more than me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nice - thanks Chittagong :)

Going. To keep an eye on the thread to see what weird and wonderful things pop up. My own personal treasure is my Circuit Breakers add-on disc for PS one. I worked on the game and I think it was the first ever PSone game to have a data disc - and we gave it away on the cover of the official PlayStation magazine.

I've only gone through Silent Hill 2 (and half of 3) on the PS3 HD collection and it definitely felt off to me. On one hand I could appreciate the amazing level of detail put in the games but on the other my opinion of them was lessened by the crazy amount of bugs (James can't even walk properly).

I would love an opportunity to go through the original games on epsxe and PCSX2.

I'd play them on my PAL PS2 (I used to live in Europe), but 50Hz makes that awkward. So emulation with the discs works great for me.

Drippy

What a set! But I'll pass since I got these games on other platforms (1st one on PSN, 2nd and 3rd on PS3 HD Collection and The Room on OG Xbox), so I think that there are people who could use these games more than me.

Congrats to winners of previous giveaway though!

I have never played Silent Hill. Like. I just haven't. I was going to get the HD collection but then didn't after hearing how unfaithful it was to games that are heralded as the best of their genre. So basically I haven't played the series because I just haven't found any copies of it whenever I'm casually looking for something to play.
The PS2 is one of the consoles I still have lying around, though I don't have a proper working PS2 controller so it'd be a difficult thing to play without buying it. So I'll skip this one.

But I'll always post to make sure this thread gets a bump. You're doing a cool thing and the more people who know the better.

I would love the silent hills. I have somehow managed to scrape through life without playing any of them thus far, so introduce me to the nightmare.

I'm in for Silent Hill 2. It's basically been the metaphor for my life this past decade. Except the killing part and the dog. But other than that it's exactly the same. And all I have is a small phone which allows me to post on neogaf occassionally.

I hope someone reads this. I need help.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hope things work out for you man. Definitely would go for a happier game.

Just a quick heads up to everyone that we have our studio Xmas thing today, so the draw and new prize will be a bit later today too.

LogicGoat

Neo Member
Has the Silent Hill collection winner been chosen yet?

I'm a big fan of horror in other mediums and the Silent Hill series is always something that I've wanted to try. I still have my PS2 in my closet so it'd be great to give them a go (I've heard too many horror stories, haha, about the HD collection to buy that).

Regardless of whether I win or not, thanks for the great giveaway =)

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go in for the Silent Hill games - particularly 2! - simply because my wife and niece asked me if I owned it and I had to tell them "no". It would be great to go through it with them sometime, as they're developing a burgeoning interest in horror games.

And let's face it, playing Silent Hill 2 with my wife will probably doom our relationship. You know you want that, GAF.

Top Bottom