• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AniHawk

Look out for PS4 taking next year as well between Uuncharted 4 and Persona 5, if the most anticipated lists are anything to go by

2017 will finally be the year of the Xbox exclusive GOTY, you heard it here first guyz

i didn't realize that so many people on gaf read japanese.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
To be that guy but I do think next years GOTY might be pretty fierce, taking the most anticipated PS4 exclusives and saying "they will" is not really productive in any way, absolutely not before we even know if they are good games or if some games next year will blow it out of the park.

Though both those series do have a big BIG following of fanatics on GAF so...

1. Soma ; best game of the year

2. Bloodborne ; nice mechanics and art

3. yakuza 5 ; Another grand and expansive game. Highly suggest for story, progression and fans of depth in their games to play it.

Nothing else wasnt even close to these two as far as design and gameplay.

Edit in more later

Jamix012

1. Bloodborne ; Honestly there's not a chance any other game will surpass this one in my list, i'm still playing a couple of others so the rest of the list is TBA, but I definitely have this at my number one and WOW what a game. My first souls-like and it just broke new ground for me.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; This one really caught me out of left field. I'd heard mixed things post-Japanese launch and such but I am so glad I decided to dip into this game anyway. The world is incredible and exploring it and completing missions makes time speed by. Addictive and fantastic, another Wii U classic and the game that, I feel, further validates the Wii U as one of Nintendo's greatest systems.

3. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls ; I was wary of this one, and it's not a perfect game by any means, but it does a couple of things really, really right. Firstly, it keeps the setting fresh and consistently colourful in an amazing feat of world building. Second, it really goes for the jugular in terms of trying to push boundaries. Yes maybe some of the uhmmm sexual stuff was unnecessary but otherwise the idea of children being so evil hits hard. Lastly, the game's characterisation is deep and effective with some real moral questions raised. The gameplay can be a bit stiff, but it's more than made up for. I may not prefer this to Dangan Ronpa 2, but it exceeds the first game, in my opinion.

4. SteinsGate ; Despite being my number four this year, I can't help be a little disappointed with this game. It delivered on some level but I guess I was just more use to the Ace Attorney/DR/Zero Escape style of game where you actually have significant input. Don't get me wrong, the story and characters are fantastic and unique...but even they aren't as fantastic and unique as DR2 or Zero Escape. This game comes with a "recommended as long as you don't mind a lack of gameplay." The soundtrack's pretty great too.

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Well. if my number 4 was a disappointment, this is a travesty. The core game is really pretty fun, but I can't ignore what the game felt like it should have been and what it wasn't. Everyone's talked about how great the game is, because it still is great and worth your time, but it feels endlessly padded and the story is pretty huge of a let down. After playing GZ I was convinced this game had a shot at being my favourite game of all time, but it wasn't and it wasn't even close to it.

6. Splatoon ; Yeah it's fun. I don't like turf war but ranked is a blast. Stressful, but definitely a blast. I love the aesthetic and the single player is pretty good in short bursts. Honestly though? In a GOOD year, this would likely be an honourable mention. A great honourable mention, but nonetheless an honourable mention.

7. Until Dawn ; On my own I think this game would've honestly been a bit hit and miss, but with friends watching? This is great. It builds suspense and really works surprisingly well, but...it has quite a fair share of problems. The characters are generally unlikeable (intentional probably but it doesn't add anything) and the clear desire of the devs to make 2 different horror games in one.

8. The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes ; REALLY fun with friends. REALLY boring on one's own.

9. Hotaru no Nikki ; A beautiful game. A little too hard but still enjoyable.

10. Rodea the Sky Soldier ; Hot Dog, I get to put a Wii game in my top 10 around 4 years after the last really relevant Wii game came out? Radical. This game is fun and feels like NiGHts...you know...if Nights were actually any good.

For my honourable mentions I kind of want to divide it into two categories. Remakes or remasters that would've made my top 10 if they had been released this year but because they're re-releases I can't find it in myself to actually put them in and original games that, while worth having an honourable mention, weren't good enough for the top 10. Gonna start with the re-releases.

x. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; My first Souls experience if you don't count BB, but damn. I had fun with it! It's no BB but it'd definitely dent my top 10 this year.
x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; My literal favourite game of all time got rereleased. I love it so much and this is now my favourite way to play it (even with a few drawbacks.)
x. Rare Replay ; The BEST collection ever. The Best. It's a shame about the implementation in terms of the 360 games but even with that, no other collection compares.
x. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition ; DAMN I'd never played GoW and I feel like I totally missed out! What a fun game.
x. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D ; Decent remake of a Great game
x. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition ; A damn fine game. Glad I played it. Not Bayo 2 level but still fun, especially with Vergil.

x. Undertale ; Yeah I didn't ADORE this game. it's unique and the OST is incredible but I have no emotional attachment to this game like others have.
x. Super Mario Maker ; Not my fave. I'm just not up for playing fan fiction in game form. Still, the time with roomies was fun!
x. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; WOULD HAVE BEEN MY NUMBER 10 (very fun!!) but I wanted to put a Wii game on the list.
x. Persona 4: Dancing all Night ; Nice music and decent gameplay. Milking that.

jesu

1. Fallout 4 ; Probably the best game ever...
2. Dying Light ; So good........
3. The Witcher 3 ; It's the 3rd Witcher game and it was ace.Did I mention it's complete and utter lack of dungeons though?
4. Rise Of The Tomb Raider ; I dunno.Should probberly finish it first.
5. Halo 5 ; Holy shit, this or the next one, i dunno...
6. Star Wars Battlefront ; or the last one, I dunno
7. Need For Speed ; Would have been 4th at least if it had fucking multiplayer lobbies!
8. FIFA 16 ; I suppose.
9. Pool Nation FX ; loved it for at least 3 months
10. Beach Buggy Racing ; YIt was aight.
x. Elder Scrolls Online
x. Tomb Raider

3. The Witcher 3 ; It's the 3rd Witcher game and it was ace.Did I mention it's complete and utter lack of dungeons though?

Why you want dungeons man? Any time I was exploring some subterranean lair filled with monsters was always the worst part.

AniHawk

gonna be amazing if Persona 5 makes GAF Most Anticipated list 4 years in a row

i know people like to cite a fighting game as reason why p5 will launch close to the japanese release, but i kind of feel like it could slip into the next year, or it might come out in december and only reach a small amount of people in the west before voting begins. it took about 7 months to bring disgaea 5 out to the west, and i think p5 is a bigger and more ambitious project than that. if it's a summer 2016 game in japan i'm thinking it's a march 2017 game in the rest of the world.

cheezcake

1. The Witcher 3 ; Absolutely beautiful open world full with interesting characters and creatures. As Geralt you feel like you the world doesn't revolve around you, you're swept up by the tides of far greater powers than yourself, yet your choices still have incredibly far reaching consequences and that's incredibly impressive. The fact that this is CDPR's first open world game is somewhat mind boggling, can't wait to see what they do next.

2. Bloodborne ; The absolute best combat mechanics I've ever experienced in a game, insanely twisted yet wonderful art design and a great score to boot. Bloodborne is the best "first playthtough" experience I've had in a Souls game. Unfortunately I think the incredibly tight combat experience comes from an intentional limiting of the play styles available to you, and this makes it the least replayable of the souls games.

1. Super Mario Maker ; It may seem dodgy to rate a level editor so highly when the experience of playing it depends on the quality of user-generated content (which, at its best, is here exceptional). But that understates how magnificently the editing/playtesting cycle of Super Mario Maker operates as a game in its own right, rewarding cerebral exploration and can-I-do-that mechanical experimentation with a satisfying thrill of discovery to match any puzzle or strategy masterpiece. Here is a sandbox of the freest and most responsive order, and best of all, a space to be shared. And it doesn't hurt, either, for the actual interaction of playing the stages to be the genre-defining lingua franca of video games we have seen develop over thirty years, crisp as ever and still the very best.

2. Splatoon ; In audiovisual creativity, mechanical elegance, intuitive control, and pure exhilaration, this is a game unmatched in the annals of multiplayer shooters: slick, dynamic, accessible to a staggering range of skill sets and play styles, visceral yet miraculously bloodless. The world is unforgettable and the music, suggesting a thriving fictitious popular culture all by itself, is to die for. One of the freshest starts we have ever seen for any Nintendo series, with a short but frenetic single-player experience that features a prime candidate for the greatest boss fight in Nintendo history.

3. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void ; It has long been my view that SC2 is far and away Blizzard's best game, but what it always lacked was a bridge across the chasm that lies between the robust single-player campaigns (here as varied in objectives and full of compelling tactical toys as usual) and the notoriously punishing multiplayer ladder, a vacuum once filled by user creations in the WC3 era. The final major expansion brings everything to bear on this problem and fills out a rich, rewarding gradient of activity for all levels of play, not only in the new game modes but crucially in the reimagining of the flow of the multiplayer experience. Whether it is in the redesigned economy or the newly introduced units, SC2 now rewards territorial control and small skirmishes like it never has before, rendering the game more dynamic than ever for players and spectators alike.

4. Invisible, Inc. ; Tense, tactically challenging, precise, and overflowing with different ways to tackle obstacles in every run, this game stands out as the most thrilling and replayable of 2015's inordinately good vintage of turn-based strategy. Not content with being a roguelike, stealth thriller, and XCOM squad manager all at once, it is an exemplary entry in every genre it draws upon. Few games anywhere can match the rush of landing your agents in trouble and methodically weaving them a way back out, square by perilous square, with the delicate precision of a surgeon. Concerns about the limited variety of maps and missions at launch have since been swiftly addressed in content updates and the Contingency Plan expansion.

5. Yoshi's Woolly World ; It should be laudable enough for any game to adequately capture, as this one does, the vibrancy, invention, gorgeousness, and patient exploratory freedom that makes the original Yoshi's Island hold up so well today. But where Yoshi's Woolly World stands out, on a platform already overstuffed with the most refined side-scrolling platformers of the current era, is in the gentle gradient of variable challenge latent in every stage, from the ease of merely reaching the goal to the demanding precision and observational acuity required for a perfect clear. This is Yoshi's answer to Donkey Kong Country Returns: a straightforward revival on the surface, cottoned with delights for the most seasoned players.

6. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; The open world in XCX is as intricate as it is vast, enveloping the player in a long and fulfilling exploration phase that outstrips the worlds of its contemporaries to a degree not seen since the likes of The Wind Waker. While it lacks the memorability and charm of its predecessor's concept and cast, the television-box-set structure of the quests may put off players accustomed to beelining through the main story, and it inherits some of the first Xenoblade's worst vices when it comes to collecting mountains of indistinct objects, the non-linear design—buttressed by clever dispersal of enemy levels such that no zone is ever obsolete—is an excellent fit for toying with Monolith's combat systems, which demand experiment. The game may test one's patience, but the player is rarely trapped: there is always adventure to be found somewhere on Mira.

7. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. ; Offbeat, mashed up from icons of the public domain, vastly misunderstood, and no less strategic for all that, the latest turn-based experience from Intelligent Systems may be the first in its genre to fully embrace the challenge of designing around an an analogue, continuous, and fully vertical three-dimensional space. An incredibly robust campaign replete with dense and thoughtful maps, combined with the signature twist of combining movement and ammunition in a single resource, sets STEAM apart as something truly fresh. Received wisdom from other tactics games won't help you here: this is a game to master on its own terms. While the game could benefit from greater transparency concerning enemy behaviour, it speaks highly for its systems that the harder difficulties are tuned not around mere inflation of the numbers but around intuitive command of the unique mechanics.

8. Heroes of the Storm ; MOBAs are a genre mired in kludge, a haphazard mess of inherited decisions and metagame arcana carried forward by the inertia of an entrenched player base. Blizzard's belated entry in the field stands out as one that finally seems properly designed, with the systems built from the ground up to cater to intuitive, dynamic, positional, cooperative team play. The variety of objective-driven maps and mechanically distinct heroes, flavourful as well as balanced, have created a playing environment that has improved dramatically in a very short time since release and promises to remain interesting for a long time to come.

9. SteamWorld Heist ; Image & Form's side-scrolling foray into turn-based tactics is a leaner, simpler game than its close cousins in the class of 2015, taking similar approaches as Invisible, Inc. and Code Name: STEAM to the problem of employing random variance to keep things interesting but fair. Where it stands out in its own right is in the strength of its map generation, where every mission retains its own personality as a uniquely designed experience even as the layouts are randomly assembled, and in the pacing of its action, perhaps the swiftest of its genre. Here is a fine display of explosive gunfights that are positional and strategic but in no way less frenetic in the heat of the moment.

10. Undertale ; When broken down into the particulars, nothing that Undertale does to subvert the conventions of the classic JRPG format is all that new: we have seen it all in the Chrono Trigger courtroom scene, the FFVI opera, the quiz-show encounters and zany theatrical battles of Paper Mario, and of course its clearest inspiration, EarthBound. But a lack of genuine novelty can hardly be held against Toby Fox's incredible achievement in building upon those ideas in a single, endearing package and delivering upon their promise as though they never went away at all. More than a mere nostalgia piece, Undertale is a game unafraid to squeeze every drop of personality out of every corner of its own interface, and supporting it from below is its most convincing masterstroke, a chiptune score for the ages.

Honourable mentions that I wish I had room for on my ballot:

x. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ;
x. Boxboy! ;

As a matter of principle I disqualify remakes, and if I didn't, these resuscitations of all-time greats would likely have wound up near the top of my list:

x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ;
x. Grim Fandango Remastered ;

For reference, my ballot for 2014.

DNAbro

i know people like to cite a fighting game as reason why p5 will launch close to the japanese release, but i kind of feel like it could slip into the next year, or it might come out in december and only reach a small amount of people in the west before voting begins. it took about 7 months to bring disgaea 5 out to the west, and i think p5 is a bigger and more ambitious project than that. if it's a summer 2016 game in japan i'm thinking it's a march 2017 game in the rest of the world.

That would be slowest Atlus had done in awhile and I'm expecting it to be one of the fastest ones for them. I would hope they could get SMT:IV speed of one month, but no way is it missing next year.

But this is getting really off topic.

When will your list be up? Your Bayonetta 2 write-up was my favorite of all the entries last year. ;)

Tell ya the truth man, I don't think I'm writing one this year. Just not that passionate about this year's crops of games. Even Bloondborne and Axiom Verge(my favorites) are 8/10 games. Don't feel like waxing poetic about them as GOTY contenders.

But I do like reading these every year...and 2016 should have plenty of great choices. Uncharted 4, Zelda, Nier Automata, Mass Effect, Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex, Dishonored 2, XCOM 2, Street Fighter V, Gears 4, The Iconcolasts, Abzu, Cuphead, Hitman, Mirror's Edge, Shadow Warrior 2, Yooka-Yaylee, Ni-Oh, unannounced NX 3D Mario, Pikmin 4...bout to be the year of fuckin' dreams, b

Tain

It's that time of year again. My submission will be late, and probably less substantial than in prior years, but it'll be fun!

Wish Riposte were around for this one.

1. Splatoon ; Reggie was right, it's the Mario Kart of shooters. Cool looking, great playing, amazing traversal, lots of content, infinitely replayable---One of the best game I have played in years, will be all over anything these directors/producers make after this.

Dad

D6siWRD.png

1. Undertale ; This is probably the only game on the list that actually wowed me and deserves a place with the all time greats. Went in expecting a nice but really overrated indie darling. Got one of the most engaging experiences in the medium

jeWdCfs.png

2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ;

DTvtnv7.png

3. Yoshi's Woolly World ;

phnyuVf.png

4. Tales from the Borderlands ;

XIQH7CM.png

5. Super Mario Maker ;

Z2W70YO.png

6. Life is Strange ;

hnDGmrp.png

7. Ori and the Blind Forest ;

T8FM3XN.png

8. Rocket League ;

3wPg0lY.png

9. Fallout 4 ;

LWZJaqp.png

10. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ;

x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ;
x. Xenoblade Chronicles X ;
x. Until Dawn ;

I dont think I have even played 10 games from 2015.

Am picking up Until Dawn tomorrow which I think will be up my ally so Ill play that over xmas and do my top list after.

Spoilers. Rocket League and The Wticher 3 will probably be 1 and 2.

Kiro

1. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; This series is my favourite of all time. And this closes out the trilogy. While the story isn't perfect, the multiplayer gameplay, the campaign, the new modes and units make this my favourite game and I know I will play this for decades to come. I can't say that about any other game this year.

2. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; Having never played any of the three games, I sat down and completed all of them within a week. What a wild ride. The characters, humor and gameplay are top notch. I have very little criticism for these games.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; First time playing this game as well. Being a big fan of Ocarina of Time, the bar was set high. It did not disappoint, I 100 percented this game on my first play through and it has moved up to my third favourite Zelda of all time.

4. DmC: Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition ; It may seem shocking to have this game so high up on my list, but this game is complete fun. You can just whip up some insane combos and my fingers never stopped moving to change weapons and you feel so destructively powerful. I have been twitching to replay this game on Turbo mode for the insane goodness.

5. Super Mario Maker ; Creativity is a huge part of my life, and this game gives me one more avenue to delve into my imagination. Plus, having an endless supply of fun levels is stellar.

6. Bloodborne ; This game is amazingly designed and out of any game this year, has my favourite style (Creepy Halloween vibes). I beat this game by cheating half way through, and regret doing so as it is such a fun, intense and rewarding game. If I have time I would love to experience this game again as well.

7. Rocket League ; Simple, unending fun. The only online game multiplayer on my list. I don't usually like multiplayer games but this game is hilarious, wild and competitive at the same time.

8. Splatoon ; When this game released, I didn't have Internet for months so I have only ever played the Single Player and it still made my top 10. That's how fun this game is. I will eventually try out the online, I just haven't gotten around to it.

9. Dying Light ; Still working on this game with my buddy and I got it only two weeks ago. But I have been anticipating this game for 8 months and waiting for my friend to finally get it with me. It hasn't let me down yet and I rarely enjoy FPS games.

10. Xenoblade Chronicles 3D ; Besides Majora's Mask, the only handheld game I have grinded out and really got into. It deserves a spot, it is huge and fun and you truly feel like you have traveled to another world.

Honorable Mentions
x. Just Cause 3 ; One of the games I've had the most fun with this year, but a complete disaster as far as glitches and errors go. Didn't quite make the cut for this reason.

x. Yoshi's Wooly World ; Wonderful, but after a few levels I need to put it down. It is a bit too slow paced and easy for it's charm and feel good vibes to bump it up into my top 10.

AniHawk

To be that guy but I do think next years GOTY might be pretty fierce, taking the most anticipated PS4 exclusives and saying "they will" is not really productive in any way, absolutely not before we even know if they are good games or if some games next year will blow it out of the park.

Though both those series do have a big BIG following of fanatics on GAF so...

i thought uncharted was some sort of unkillable series until uncharted 3. it is the last (or 'last') uncharted game, so that will work in its favor, but i kind of wonder if uncharted's 'i'm in a movie!' effect might have worn off in a more general way since uncharted 2. skyward sword is also a somewhat divisive game, and that hit the top 10 in 2011 as well, even beating out uncharted 3. and a link between worlds hit the same #5 spot in 2013. i think zelda's going to be pretty high up on the list. the fanbase isn't really vocal when there aren't games out, but it's pretty strong when it comes to voting.

mario's also getting a new 3d platformer next year. depending on the narrative surrounding the game, it could surprise folks.

really though, i'm expecting something to surprise out of nowhere. something like undertale or splatoon this year, except on a wider userbase. i think the witcher's in contention this year partly because it's a pc, xb1, and ps4 game. that's not the only reason of course - just noting that part of this is a numbers game.

Tell ya the truth man, I don't think I'm writing one this year. Just not that passionate about this year's crops of games. Even Bloondborne and Axiom Verge(my favorites) are 8/10 games. Don't feel like waxing poetic about them as GOTY contenders.

Ah, that's shame. I wouldn't mind reading those 8/10 write-ups, but I can see where you're coming from.

Lain

1. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (PC version) ; The Goddess returned once again, this time on PC, and she's just as good as before, if not better.
2. Eternal Senia ; Despite being a free game, it was one of the best one I played throughout the year. Simple yet well thought, with a bittersweet story that stays with you.
3. Ori and the Blind Forest (PC) ; Beautiful game with some simple and addicting gameplay.
4. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ; For a rhythm game newbie, I found it fun and easy enough, with some catchy tunes and cool choreography.
5. Life is Strange (PC)
6. Flame Over (PC) ; Being a firefighter has never been as hard and as fun. I never managed to complete a full clear of every stage but I had tons of fun trying, and dying.
7. Tales of Zestiria (PC)
8. Toukiden: Kiwami (PC) ; Kinda simple and limited (being a port of a portable game can be felt all throughout the experience) but slaughtering the demons with the help of the AI was fun.

shira

1. Grim Fandango Remastered ; This was the only 2015 release I could afford, but I enjoyed it just as much as before. It's a genuine classic point n click adventure and the jokes and puzzles are as good as ever. A great Double Fine joint with some whiz bang graphics polish.

This is a total work in progress so much may change between now and when voting ends but this is what I've got so far

1. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt ; nothing will top this game for me this year. Its the best WRPG ever imo
2. Bloodborne
3. SOMA
4. Destiny The Taken King
5. Fallout 4
6. Dying Light
7. Until Dawn
8. Batman Arkham Knight
9. Assassins Creed Syndicate
10. Halo 5

the song that plays in the far right area of axiom verge with the vocals brings it down to like a 4/10 at best

1. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Easily the best single player game I've played in a long time. Flawless art, music, and narrative kept me enthralled as I was constantly delighted by the challenges the game expected me to overcome.
2. Undertale ; My expectations were extremely low going in - I had no interest whatsoever in the art style of the game it seemed to be aping. What I found was a game that subverted those expectations and ultimately produced a surpising emotional attachment to characters that I previously had no affinity for.
3. Game C ; Your thoughts on Game C.
4. Game D ; Your thoughts on Game D.
5. Game E ; Your thoughts on Game E.
6. Game F ; Your thoughts on Game F.
7. Game G ; Your thoughts on Game G.
8. Game H ; Your thoughts on Game H.
9. Game I ; Your thoughts on Game I.
10. Halo 5 ; Genuinely excellent gameplay keeps it on here despite somewhat disappointing narrative and some missing features at launch.

M3z_

1. Life is Strange ; beautiful experience with endearing characters and emotionally powerful story arc.

2. Witcher 3 ; Tremendous writing and depth of content combined with a beautiful world with a real sense of life.

3. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; The best playing stealth game I have ever played, with a real flair for creativity and embracing it's roots as a video game. Just try to ignore all the gross male pandering.

4. Bloodborne ; Gorgeous world with a great and exciting twist on the traditional Souls gameplay. Everything done at a top notch level, just wish there was more reason to play through it multiple times.

5. Ori and the Blind Forest ; FUCKING STUNNING, game excels at everything it does and provides one of the cleanest most enjoyable experiences of the year.

6. Rocket League ; Tons of fun, simple idea with lots of well executed depth

7. Splatoon ; Innovative twist on what a shooter can be with a terrific aesthetic and great character

8. Batman Arkham Knight ; A great addition to the Rocksteady Batman collection, the best story they've done and refinements in a variety of areas.

9. Her Story ; Awesome idea and experience with a superb and critically necessary acting performance.

10. Undertale ; Charming and endearing game with surprisingly interesting mechanics, and excellent writing.

tuxfool

Banned
That never happened it The Witcher 3, so what game are you talking about?

It was so above ground :(

I do seem to recall having this conversation with you before. There are a few underground locations and caves, you've just forgotten (and some you may not have visited).

That never happened it The Witcher 3, so what game are you talking about?

It was so above ground :(

It happened more times than it should have. The best part of the game is the lovely world, why you wanna be somewhere that has none of the best part of the game?

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I won't be doing a list this year as I spent so little time playing anything in 2015. I don't even know when I'll actually get around to Bloodborne. Looking forward to seeing some lists from the usual people, shame one dude won't get in this year though. #FreeRiposte

tuxfool

Banned
It happened more times than it should have. The best part of the game is the lovely world, why you wanna be somewhere that has none of the best part of the game?

There are some caves and underground locations that are plenty memorable. Not necessarily because they are caves though. But I'll stop now, this is becoming Witcher 3 cave discussion time...

AmorFati

Neo Member
1. The Talos Principle ;
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ;
3. Undertale ;
4. Bloodborne ;
5. Life is Strange ;

Will post comments when I have more time. Currently playing through TPP and so might adjust once I have finished.

1. Bloodborne ; The best game I have played in over a decade. Bloodborne completely hooked me and still hasn't let go. I've finished it twice and am currently in the middle of my third playthrough. The Old Hunters DLC is the cherry on top of an absolute masterpiece.
2. Splatoon ; Probably the best multiplayer game I have ever played. I've put well over a hundred hours into Splatoon and I'm not even close to being finished with it
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; One of the most immersive open-world experiences I've ever had the pleasure of playing.

septicore

1. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; 500 hours on my save file and there's no other game that can touch that many hours on a single game this year.
2. Ori and the Blind Forest ; An amazing beautiful 2D puzzle platformer.
3. Life Is Strange ; A very surprising new IP that came out of no where and blew me away with the story and game changes but only to be flawed with the ending of the game but still a great game.
4. Tales from the Borderlands ; Didn't think Telltale could make IMO one of the best borderland games in the series. Amazing characters and storytelling to the end.
5. Dying Light ; Open world first player parkour with great weapons slicing up zombies and the grappling hook changes everything. Night time is no joke in this game, one of the most intense moments in the game.
6. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide ; Left 4 dead in the Warhammer universe but with random loot involved. Teamwork and satisfying combat.
7. Shovel Knight ; Pixel 2D puzzle platformer with developers that keep on adding content to the game.
8. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Not much has changed from the 1st one but the music is once again top notch and gameplay is still fun and crazy.
9. The Talos Principle ; Maybe the only game I've played that has dugged my head in with the some of the puzzles present in the game. Really hurt my brain to solve the game but I loved it.
10. You Must Build A Boat ; The sequel to 10000000 and you must build a boat !

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I was anticipating this game more than anything else I ever have, and an endlessly variable stealth action playground was what I'd loved most about Metal Gear since the days of replaying MGS1&2 demos over and over. There's so much I've had to interpret and rationalize with how this game turned out in both intentional/unintentional structure, delivery, business model and lost potential... but I've come to appreciate the subversion and I'm still playing it nearly everyday, cruising through bases in ways that never stop satisfying me, feeling the pressure in FOB infiltrations, and for once... actually getting to enjoy MGO without hassle. Everything hums like an Italian sports car, it's the absolute apex of MGS gameplay and that's been a fine thing to behold. What could have been would've possibly been Game of the Forever for me, but what is will just have to settle for GOTY.

2. Helldivers ; I haven't had so much fun with online multiplayer since the Quake III, Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online days. This game's seen constant support that's only made it even better since release, but the basic game was already perfect. The entire set up of 1-4 player, methodical twin stick shooting, the tension and focus found in friendly fire and inputting codes while sometimes brutally intimidating hordes are bearing down on you... with every successive save being a totally clutch hail mary play. Combine that with the fun, Starship Troopers satire motif, the galactic conquest community contribution design, and the overall theme, presentation, design etc... it's a one of a kind, masterwork of a game.

3. Axiom Verge ; Like many gamers, I've always really liked Metroid (and of course, Metroidvania/Igavania), but it's not a "Metroid me too" that really made me love this game... it was the amazing music, pixel art, cool story, powerfully evocative and mentally stimulating art direction/sound design everywhere. It's so punk. It's Akira, Watchmen, Hawkwind, Faxanadu etc whereas similarly retro heights could be construed more as memories of cartoons and cereal. As an 80's kid, this game made me feel like an 80's adult. It just happened to be in a basic, fully competent Metroid archetype that almost entirely succeeded in compelling the exploration I crave... with tools and traversal methods that always felt familiar but original.

4. Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; God damn, what a game huh? Absolutely beautiful to look at, listen to and traverse. Trees bending in storms, impossible rays of sunshine and fields of flora making you wish you lived a thousand years ago before we all ruined the Earth. It gives so much every step of the way and just feels so good to be there, piling up ever-intertwining quests and points of interest, interacting with great characters,, and trying to think about your decisions in ways that aren't just "X gets me Y" - there was moments of imaginative fantasy and mind bending coalescing of imagery, aural stimulation and thought that made me finally feel like I did watching stuff like Legend, Labyrinth and Neverending Story as a kid. A triumph.

5. Until Dawn ; What a blast. I don't think I've ever been so happily entertained by filthy casual sensibilities. ie: a cast I recognize (Hayden, The Nihilist... and being into Mr Robot last year certainly didn't hurt), Hollywood horror intentions, and the ultimate in bygone Sega CD gameplay. This is something that was better because it was a game... director, screenwriter, set designers etc that weren't trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with a few grand, a couple months to shoot, a limited amount of do-overs and a fixed 2 hour run time. Instead it was malleable, iterative and able to spread it's wings in the way that high quality, serialized drama has allowed stories, settings and characters a lot more flexibility than mishandled box office flops would have. The game was also beautiful at times, extremely fun, interesting and entertaining.

6. Volume ; This game was basically a really stylish mash up of Metal Gear Solid's VR Missions and Pac-Man, and I got really hooked on it. Loved totally dominating the leaderboard times and actually really liked all the stylish effects, minimalist aesthetics, and the working story is definitely dealing with themes I like even if it could have been doled out in maybe a better way. I originally burnt myself out on the game trying to set times on every level before MGSV dropped, but revisiting the game since to try it's new checkpoint modes and repeat the process has been very fun and fresh again, reminding me that actually playing it was what endeared me to it in the first place.

7. Galak-Z ; if Binding of Isaac Rebirth was itself last year, this was BOIR roguelite for me this year. However, I find the actual mechanical gameplay, setting and art direction to be much more involved and satisfying in a sort of Treasure way (think Bangai-O, specifically), and if Transformers Devastation was the awesome 80's cartoon feeling of the year for others... this was that for me. It's import VHS/SD TV era aesthetics went a long way to achieving those ends. Being something original and fresh, and having really deep, satisfying, responsive and well-controlling gameplay/controls sets it apart and gives it an identity to flaunt, in the way a more mindless and blatant nostalgia-fest wouldn't be able to.

Alfredo

1. Undertale ; Inventive battle system that changes and evolves as the game goes on. Subverts regular video game behavior by allowing you to play a complete pacifist. Going the "Genocide" route also reaps some pretty "sick" rewards. Awesome soundtrack. Cool characters.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Excellent open world game that grants you the freedom to finish missions by whatever play style you choose. Runs on a solid engine that grants amazing performance on consoles. Disgusting "online FOB" anti-consumer practices from Konami prevent me praising this game any higher. I completely ignored the story elements of the game.

3. Super Mario Maker ; You can make your own Mario levels! Despite some awkward limitations on both designing and sharing levels, some people have made really cool things with it. Post-launch support from Nintendo in the form of new building materials and sharing options is much-appreciated.

4. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls ; A quirky Japanese third-person shooter from Japan. While the gunplay isn't anything amazing, it's just unique enough due to the setting and puzzle-solving elements to be enjoyable. Soundtrack is pretty good, too.

5. Life is Strange ; Garbage writing, but some cool moments and characters. Time rewinding mechanic in a game of dialogue choices is a nice touch to represent "save scumming" and works well enough within the narrative. Also an adventure game that doesn't run like crap on consoles.

6. Mortal Kombat X ; Gorgeous new entry in the Mortal Kombat series. The presentation in the game is top-notch, and every fighting game should hold MK X as a standard when it comes to single-player content. Competitive play was fun for a while, but, man, it got WAY more complicated to play than MK9, preventing me from playing it more.

7. Splatoon ; Cool competitive third person shooter with an awesome aesthetic. The barebones content at launch was slowly fixed as Nintendo supported the game with updates over the course of the year. Lack of local multiplayer (LAN/System Link) limits the fun I can have with the game as both a player and spectator, though.

8. Fallout 4 ; Not enough of an evolution over Fallout 3. Buggy mess on both consoles and PC. I still spent more than 70 hours playing it, though. Settlement stuff was dumb fun.

9. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Gorgeous-looking game, but didn't grab me as much as the first in the reboot series. Wish it ran better on consoles. Here's to hoping the PS4 version can accomplish that.

10. Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer ; Barely a game, but hopefully a glimpse at what we can expect when it comes to interior design in a future fully-featured Animal Crossing game.

Honorable Mentions

x. Sonic Dreams Collection ; The best Sonic game I've ever played. It's not on the spreadsheet, but it SHOULD be.

AnPrxIn.png

CrazyDude

Counted up all the scores for bloodborne and witcher since I think one of the two will win. Witcher is up by a little, but it's a really tight battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom