• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

Drawer in terrarium (1-7)

Lots of great little stories (I especially like the one about the boss's daughter), but the most intriguing one soi far definitely has to be the job interview for Eva pilots

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really do not get what you guys don't like about this new SnS arc. The villains in Soma have always been fairly comical and over the top including Erina in her introduction. Also the side characters almost never got focus before they almost always played second fiddle to the leads. Really the only thing that's changed is Erina is now in a far more vulnerable state which is more interesting then her being queen tsundere

Because sad Erina is boring and he didn't actually have any kind of plan to beat Eizan but did anyways through sheer MC determination. I don't agree with some of the other posters that this has been a consistent theme though because he very clearly had well thought-out plans to beat Mimisaka, Hayama and Kuga.

Because sad Erina is boring and he didn't actually have any kind of plan to beat Eizan but did anyways through sheer MC determination. I don't agree with some of the other posters that this has been a consistent theme though because he very clearly had well thought-out plans to beat Mimisaka, Hayama and Kuga.

Right, and its okay for the character to have no real plan other then "my superior skill will prove my point" every now ans again. Heck in nearly 3 years of story/148 chapters this is the first time I can think of where Soma went into an impossible situation with the only plan of "my superior cooking and Eizan's arrogance will be all I need to get the judges to try my food".

Edit: and sad Erina is infinitely more interesting then perpetual tsun Erina

Revo

I really do not get what you guys don't like about this new SnS arc. The villains in Soma have always been fairly comical and over the top including Erina in her introduction. Also the side characters almost never got focus before they almost always played second fiddle to the leads. Really the only thing that's changed is Erina is now in a far more vulnerable state which is more interesting then her being queen tsundere

my beef is that eizan in general hasn't worked for me since he came to the front lines, all he's done vs soma is send out mimasaka during the tournament when he's clearly the type of guy who has you beat at least a few underlings, even if they would be offscreen.

Not to mention his cooking is just bland, while he might be generally good at it he doesn't bring spice to the table in the ways other characters/villains do, his perk is outside the realm of cooking. Hell like his whole backstory was explaining how clever he is and how he's awesome outside the cooking field.

And then you combine it with the fact that Soma's solution to beating him this time was just to brute force it and hope he can goad/woo the judges to eat/rule in his favor in the end. While foodgasms are op at changing how people think, it still doesn't feel right to me that they would so willingly possibly disrespect someone as seemingly influential as Eizan (I would believe it more if it was just one of Eizan's higher ranked lackeys Soma crushed).

And I guess to me this whole thing with Eizan lacked the grandeur I expect for a fight against the top 10 (granted we only have vs kuga as a reference). Vs Kuga there were strats, changes, a brilliant insight compared to this just being a regular shokugeki in the end. It could have been in the arena instead, but having it in that small confined room just makes it feel like a miniboss battle instead of Soma's second confrontation with the top 10.

also he clearly lacked the strats of someone whose name is so close to aizen should have, expected at least one thing in soma's life to have been done by eizen's design

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that Eizan's actually cooking doesn't have anything interesting to exploit the way everyone does because exploiting overspecialization is how Soma wins.

my beef is that eizan in general hasn't worked for me since he came to the front lines, all he's done vs soma is send out mimasaka during the tournament when he's clearly the type of guy who has you beat at least a few underlings, even if they would be offscreen.

Not to mention his cooking is just bland, while he might be generally good at it he doesn't bring spice to the table in the ways other characters/villains do, his perk is outside the realm of cooking. Hell like his whole backstory was explaining how clever he is and how he's awesome outside the cooking field.

And then you combine it with the fact that Soma's solution to beating him this time was just to brute force it and hope he can goad/woo the judges to eat/rule in his favor in the end. While foodgasms are op at changing how people think, it still doesn't feel right to me that they would so willingly possibly disrespect someone as seemingly influential as Eizan (I would believe it more if it was just one of Eizan's higher ranked lackeys Soma crushed).

And I guess to me this whole thing with Eizan lacked the grandeur I expect for a fight against the top 10 (granted we only have vs kuga as a reference). Vs Kuga there were strats, changes, a brilliant insight compared to this just being a regular shokugeki in the end. It could have been in the arena instead, but having it in that small confined room just makes it feel like a miniboss battle instead of Soma's second confrontation with the top 10.

also he clearly lacked the strats of someone whose name is so close to aizen should have, expected at least one thing in soma's life to have been done by eizen's design

I get all this, but considering Eizan himself is more in the elite 10 for his non cooking skills and he IS just the first round opponent in Soma's battle with Aizami and the E10 I think it's totally okay for it to play out like it did. And to be fair Eizan did have a plan to further demoralize Soma (having his mooks attack the dorm), it didn't work but you can't fault Eizan for thinking he had this shit doubely locked up before the battle started.

Looking back it seems everyone wanted Erina to be the reason the judges tried the dish and again that would have Erina coming out of the mental prison Aizami has placed on her waaaay too easily and would undermine Soma's progress in the series that he could just over power an e10 member even if the weakest cook in the group. Soma vs Eizan here was clearly a set up match for Soma and his friends to further battle Aizami and the E10 by truly bringing them into conflict.

Revo

I get all this, but considering Eizan himself is more in the elite 10 for his non cooking skills and he IS just the first round opponent in Soma's battle with Aizami and the E10 I think it's totally okay for it to play out like it did. And to be fair Eizan did have a plan to further demoralize Soma (having his mooks attack the dorm), it didn't work but you can't fault Eizan for thinking he had this shit doubely locked up before the battle started.

Looking back it seems everyone wanted Erina to be the reason the judges tried the dish and again that would have Erina coming out of the mental prison Aizami has placed on her waaaay too easily and would undermine Soma's progress in the series that he could just over power an e10 member even if the weakest cook in the group. Soma vs Eizan here was clearly a set up match for Soma and his friends to further battle Aizami and the E10 by truly bringing them into conflict.

it works, but i don't have to like the way it was done is ultimately what it boils down to. there are different ways that that eizan vs soma could have gone down and people would prefer some other way. the whole just overpowering eizan's cooking is fine for me since his cooking is bland, but it could have happened in a way where it doesn't make soma look bad for just seemingly rushing in there without a plan.

as far as erina goes, i agree that her actively doing something now would be too fast.

dramatis

Edit: and sad Erina is infinitely more interesting then perpetual tsun Erina
"The tsundere has a tragic past, you have to rescue her!"

That shit isn't any more interesting than tsundere Erina. Neither of them are good. Tsundere to Damsel in Distress is certainly not an upgrade.

Umibozu

Sakura discord 2
The sakuras are getting back together. Wonder what made sumiyoshi the way she is over the four years.

high score girl 28
I hope yaguchi doesn't end up with hidaka over losing to her; I don't really care who he ends up with or if he ends up with anyone at all, but it would be unsatisfying if the only reason they're together is being he feels he is obligated just because he lost. I wonder what the teacher is going to do to him.
What's weird is that vega's sfII music started playing in my head as I was reading this chapter. Now it has got me thinking what the soundtrack would be like for an anime adaptation, lol.

That shit isn't any more interesting than tsundere Erina. Neither of them are good. Tsundere to Damsel in Distress is certainly not an upgrade.

Brah but the payoff is when she'll eventually take off the tsundere amor and embrace Soma in lovey dovey mode.

I want more vampire girl though, it feels like she's just waiting to strike as the main villain or something.

Toriko 353

LMAO the 8 Kings and their feats...
Plus monsters from other planets or swim through the cosmos just dying in that garden? It is the Snakes stomach lol the snake is so long it eats prey from space.
Toriko getting cocky again... please son

Crocodile

*New One Punch Man chapter comes out*

6bl4fZU.gif

*2 minutes later*

"That's it? Where's the rest of it?!"

OF11f.jpg

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*New One Punch Man chapter comes out*

6bl4fZU.gif

*2 minutes later*

"That's it? Where's the rest of it?!"

OF11f.jpg

This is why I tend to fall behind on the series. A new chapter comes out, it's like 6 pages long, now I have to wait some more

Assassination Classroom 170

NOOOOOO why you do that Shiro, I was getting all teary from the Bday song.

Also now Im imagining a Assassination Classroom yr 2 with the new Korosensei, that would be incredible as I don't want this to ever end :(

Lucifer and the biscuit hammer overall thoughts
5 hours of dedication, determination, and feeling invincible, I finally finished Wakusei no Samidare.

Long story short, what a way to present a love story. Wrapped in personalities, emotions, actions, desires, consequence, and just wanting to be a hero who save the world. Those are the words I'll use to sum up this tale of twelve characters who are stuck in a war of two psychic.

I would recommend this to anyone who want to feel invincible or not even. A great starting point to anyone who wants to start reading manga.

5 hours of dedication, determination, and feeling invincible, I finally finished Wakusei no Samidare.

Long story short, what a way to present a love story. Wrapped in personalities, emotions, actions, desires, consequence, and just wanting to be a hero who save the world. Those are the words I'll use to sum up this tale of twelve characters who are stuck in a war of two psychic.

I would recommend this to anyone who want to feel invincible or not even. A great starting point to anyone who wants to start reading manga.

I love you.

I know.

I don't think a manga has ever caused me to cry harder than the
Mouse Knight Arc.
Even just thinking about it right now makes me fucking tear up. If you want an arc in a manga that is PERFECT and I mean PERFECT it is that arc.

Fuck.

mdubs

Banned
51Mrd0FQh4L.jpg

Omoi Omoware Furi Furare Ch 1-7

So I went back to re-read all the chapters out there since it had been a while since I read the first two, and this is a great series so far. If you enjoyed Sakisaka's other series Strobe Edge and Blue Spring Ride, check this one out. Right off the bat we've got two interesting protagonists, each with different ideas of how love should work - one idealistic while the other a little more realistic. Along for the ride we've got two guys that are clearly the love interests, but I really liked that Sakisaka this time is really focusing on the friendship dynamic between the two girls (they aren't rivals for the guys so far, don't worry) and the way they support each other. Of course there is drama and such but it's quite well-done and so far avoids feeling like pointless melodrama as none of the characters feel flat.

Also, there's actual progression! Seven chapters in a bunch has happened and I'm quite endeared to these characters. If you're looking for a well-paced and nicely grounded shojo series (I typically go for these types of series like Strobe Edge, My Little Monster etc.) then definitely check this out.

Umibozu

sakura discord 3
I like the way the story is progressing, it seems the power of friendship won't work on sumiyoshi but they actually might have to put forth some real effort with her.

Such a great manga. One of my all time favorites

Concerning Air Gear...

you guys think Oh!Great will finally hire a proficient author and just pull a Murata ala-OPM and just provide the sexy art?

Usobuko

Banned
Concerning Air Gear...

you guys think Oh!Great will finally hire a proficient author and just pull a Murata ala-OPM and just provide the sexy art?

Murata seems to be more focused and less whimsical than Oh!Great.

It is almost as if the latter just want to draw w/e he desires and relegate the story into a nonsensical, incoherent mess.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Concerning Air Gear...

No. I think some people will always try to tell their own story while others seem more comfortable acknowledging their limitations. Oh!Great is one of the former, Murata seems to be one of the latter.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Concerning Air Gear...

Well, he's collaborating with proficient author Otaro Maijo...which start out as a bunch of nonsense, but start making a lot of sense as the plot move on.

Marche90

Shokugeki no Soma 149

OMG, Isshiki-senpai xD

Erina's and especially Hisako's reactions are priceless.

As for Azami's intro, my only reaction was "OH FUCK!" D:

Berserk re-read (now on chapter 201)

I still love the fact that Griffith returned to try and claim the throne just a great build up but in a different dark way

He got is going for his goal but with what cost.... maybe that is why I also love Vinland Saga similarly (more friendly) rivals who both changed while one wanders the other who was suppose to be a light or chosen is now more tainted

When he came back though he was all white like Gandalf but in reality he is extremely dark.... when Guts saw him that panel of him about to turn into that iconic sketched out rage face was erupted by the mumble of Casca... He realized that he couldn't be selfish as he was before

Great character contrast with the use of no words... only to be later even topped with that moment near the sword cemetery

Also this series has all the necessary stuff to become a game.... safe points (aka former fairy areas), monsters, boss type monsters, weapons, upgrading (awesome old man blacksmith), world building, plot, towns with mini objectives, even a fairy companion.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Shokugeki no Soma

I have to give credit to Saeki, he does an amazing job making Azami look like this terrifying man that could kill you in your sleep if given the chance.

Also, that scene with the washing machine a few chapters back was canon?! How bizarre.

Lain

Concerning Air Gear...

Why would I want to read a Oh! great work if it didn't feature a crazy story?! I'm loving Biorg Trinity exactly because it's just as insane even if Oh! great isn't writing it.

Hanekoi Lion 1-2
A manga about Badminton: Wooo!
A manga who's main joke became stale and unfunny before the first chapter ended: Boo!
I'm guessing it doesn't get much better, since it got axed after 30somthing chapters (it's a weekly manga).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Demi-chan wa Kataritai 6
With great power comes great responsibility. Huh, so her power affect male and female. That is interesting.

Shokugeki no Soma 149

Naked apron save the day once again. That Azami face though...stuff of nightmare.

Tenkousei, Ridatsu Suru (oneshot)

Oneshot about ditzy/airheaded transfer student. That was cute.

Flying Witch 21-22

There's more slice of life moment than doing witch like stuff, which is fine by me.

High Score Girl 28

Oh, the moment is here. Haruo is one dense fucker.

Its still more of an arc then she ever had before, and besides of the cast trying to help her Soma who she's tsundere for is the least interested in helping her out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom