• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preach it!

bZYK4qd.jpg

and right after that Ghost Pirates

\(-.-)/

Do You Like Big Girls? ch.21 - 23
Always gotta be that moment where the group does a student movie project.

Also with that much pent up frustration I'm not too surprised Souta actually dreamed of Ayano as a literal man eater. Shit got really weird near the end.

Hopefully both brother and sister get it out of their systems soon and confess. Or not. Whichever one is more entertaining to witness.

Akira v1
For godknowswhat reason I've never seen Akira so aside from some very basic plot points this is all new to me, and based on my first impression alone I can totally see why the film was such a cult classic. The cyber punk setting doesn't stand out very much but it feels very flesh out the way Otomo took his time to introduce it to the readers. On the other hand he didn't waste any time with the characters so they got thrown into the action from the first page on. Kaneda is the kind of capable and charismatic lead who does not always play by the rules that every action story'd love to have, and so is the conflict between him and Tetsuo not at all a surprise. I'm really looking forward to see where things will go from here.

Nah you are cool starting right now and I'll do my best to check people off as they proceed.

The Akira movie is pretty weird, it was made before the manga was finished and is mostly just the first two volumes with some stuff from volume 3 and 4 in it added in there.

Berserk thoughts

Seems like everyone gets a kid companion

If you want to be Baddass in Berserk in order to evolve to new heights you need a kid with powers

Berserk RuleBook 101... it is like the Toriko combo but with kids and badass warriors... or Sesshomaru and Rin, or maybe even Batman and the different robins

Seems like all tough guys run around with kids by their side

flawfuls

Mitsuami no Kamisama

A beautiful little newly translated one volume manga with a very unique story telling structure about a girl in a world that you quickly find out is a fair bit darker that it appears to be.

Every chapter is a short story told from the perspective of a random inanimate object like a balloon or a washing clip, but in the background there is an overarching story about the mostly wordless human characters and the world that gets slowly pieced together. It's all told with a very soft, sad and kind of children's bookish tone and everything about it comes together really well.

Anyone else here read this? I'm curious of what other people thought of the ending. I thought it was great but I imagine it would be divisive.

Not every day you get a main character who decides against escaping captivity with her boyfriend and decides that being harvested for organs is the way to go. Good for her. I mean you go to get your body parts somewhere.

Dresden

Alright I'll put you down for Punpun. Anything else? You could add some later if you want.

prob later, really can't think of anything, though I should check to see if a few older series got translated recently.

Mitsuami no Kamisama

A beautiful little newly translated one volume manga with a very unique story telling structure about a girl in a world that you quickly find out is a fair bit darker that it appears to be.

Every chapter is a short story told from the perspective of a random inanimate object like a balloon or a washing clip, but in the background there is an overarching story about the mostly wordless human characters and the world that gets slowly pieced together. It's all told with a very soft, sad and kind of children's bookish tone and everything about it comes together really well.

Anyone else here read this? I'm curious of what other people thought of the ending. I thought it was great but I imagine it would be divisive.

Not every day you get a main character who decides against escaping captivity with her boyfriend and decides that being harvested for organs is the way to go. Good for her. I mean you go to get your body parts somewhere.

This sounds like Never Let Me Go, heh.

flawfuls

This sounds like Never Let Me Go, heh.

Yeah it's certainly channeling Never Let Me Go. The difference between this and that is that the girl in Never Let Me Go went through a life time of indoctrination and even then dreamed of a way out, while the girl in this story has zero indoctrination and immediately after finding out the truth is given away out, but instead decides that it is really only fair that she stays.

This is basically the manga that they would tell the kids in Never Let Me Go to read.

Zweizer

Banned

Shengar

Yeah it's certainly channeling Never Let Me Go. The difference between this and that is that the girl in Never Let Me Go went through a life time of indoctrination and even then dreamed of a way out, while the girl in this story has zero indoctrination and immediately after finding out the truth is given away out, but instead decides that it is really only fair that she stays.

This is basically the manga that they would tell the kids in Never Let Me Go to read.

I don't think indoctrination is the right word for describing the "clones" mind in NLMG when their mental capabilities are engineered to only have limited capabilities.
Have you read Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane?

I guess there's no non yuri alternative?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
(NSFW) Hitotsuki Salon (One-shot) by Borusen & Omochibako

How weird can a diet get? Only one way to find out!

This is damn weird. But on the other hand, imagine a society where you can transfer your body to someone who will take care of it. Shit, this is some sf stuff.

brawly

Rokudenashi Blues 135

Almost finished, wish someone would scanlate the rest. It was quite good, like a mix between Slam Dunk (sport) and Shonen Junai Gumi (group of delinquents), although not quite as good as either of them.

abertura_Blog4.jpg.jpg

I just love japanese high school delinquents.

MANGA NEW YEARS BACKLOG CLUB

Hi. I know that we all have shit on our backlogs that we want to get to, but can't. So what better way to get over that hump then PEER PRESSURE?? Basically, you give me a list (lets say up to three series) of backlogged manga that you want to get to, and once everyone has turned it in then I will post the full list so that everyone knows you should be reading what you actually opted to read for. This has no real obligations, its not a bet, just a way to encourage people to read backlogged stuff.

RULES - There aren't really any rules. You could put One Piece, Hajime no Ippo and Bleach on this. That would probably be crazy but if you think you can do that go for it. Just PM me your list and I'll compile it. You can also post it in here and I will see it. If I miss your list, PM me or message me on Twitter. You can opt in for both unfinished and finished series AND series you have dropped in the past or want to continue.

I'll start -

MetroidPrimeRib: Vagabond, 7 Seeds, the rest of Mob Pyscho 100.

Medaka Box
Eyeshield 21

for me.

2 new series by the Medaka Box Creator and the person who did Kuroko no Basket (which could be a oneshot for the latter)

The former one though.... pretty dark judging by the raws

Zweizer

Banned
Canned Cat Food BATCH (One-shot) by Tomizawa Hitoshi

It starts with a mysterious contact who seems to be only able to send texts consisting of cat emojis, and gets weirder from here. Give it a read if you feel like shutting down your brain, or melting it.

Berserk Re-read (END/Or Rather UPToDate)
Well that is that... I am up to date again, still it was a ride well worth it. The Series has matured and grown way beyond the scope it presents itself from the lonesome dark beginning. The author balances his side characters while not forgetting to re-use people that most other authors later seem to forget. I love the additional comedic expect that later expanded with more characters. I also love the fact that every group has now a RPG like party of members each with their own talents. Makes the story more varied and interesting even if we are not with the main group. Alas to marathon through this makes the infamous boat journey feel more refreshing and surprisingly short in length and number of chapters then what I and others infamously remembered it to be. (Of course the main reason for it being long was do to hiatuses rather then number of chapters.)

A well structured story that expands in all directions without losing it sense of balance. A marvel in world building and character development, Berserk is a must read for all action/fantasy Manga lovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom