• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jitsu wa Watashi wa 107

img000026.png

I can't. I literally fucking can't. The crying dinosaurs. My god.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ah so those chapters on Saturday were the unofficial chapters for Today

got it

The next official WSJ releases on Jan 4, so the scans from last weekend will appear in the online official jump on Monday. Typically the first week of January doesn't have a chapter either, so there won't be chapters next week either.

WSJ One Shot Specials

Wow, there are a lot of Jump series I don't care about!

Platinum End 3

getting contrived now. 13 God candidates but 4 of them live within 10 miles of each other. C'mon.

Tomorrow is New Years, so might as well spam this one more time for good measure.
MANGA NEW YEARS BACKLOG CLUB

Hi. I know that we all have shit on our backlogs that we want to get to, but can't. So what better way to get over that hump then PEER PRESSURE?? Basically, you give me a list (lets say up to three series) of backlogged manga that you want to get to, and once everyone has turned it in then I will post the full list so that everyone knows you should be reading what you actually opted to read for. This has no real obligations, its not a bet, just a way to encourage people to read backlogged stuff.

RULES - There aren't really any rules. You could put One Piece, Hajime no Ippo and Bleach on this. That would probably be crazy but if you think you can do that go for it. Just PM me your list and I'll compile it. You can also post it in here and I will see it. If I miss your list, PM me or message me on Twitter. You can opt in for both unfinished and finished series AND series you have dropped in the past or want to continue. These are not locked in when I am considering it started (First day of 2016) you can opt in during 2016 proper, but if you already have three series scheduled and have finished none of them I will be reluctant to add another one for you. If you have less then three or have finished one, I'll add it.

Ok. Here is what I have for you all so far -

Akito -

Akira
Nausicaa
Yotsuba (Not serious?)

B-Dubs -

Fuuka

DakkuMauji -

Eyeshield 21
Oresame Teacher
Hoshin Engi

Dresden -

Oyasumi Punpun

Droplet -

Vinland Saga
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Oyasumi Punpun

Dedication Through Light -

Medaka Box
Eyeshield 21

Jintor -

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer
One Piece up to the Timeskip (chapter 598)
Lone Wolf and Cub

mdubs -

Slam Dunk
Twin Spica
Pluto

MetroidPrimeRib -

Vagabond
7 Seeds
Mob Psycho 100

Semblance -

Please Save my Earth
Fourteen
Sanctuary

striferser -

Takemitsu Zamurai

TheFlow -

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Berserk, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

TheRealTalker -

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 5-8, Fist of the North Star, Gundam the Origin

Upandaway -

Tamayura Kitsune, Nukoduke

Zweizer ~

I am a Hero
Historie
Mob Psycho 100

If I missed you, have anything down wrong, or you want to change anything, tell me. By the way, for good measure, if you put down JoJo's Bizarre Adventure I am counting that as ALL of it unless you specified otherwise like Real Talker. I'm not gonna count spin offs or continuations for series like Fist of the North Star.

Tomorrow is New Years, so might as well spam this one more time for good measure.

Ok. Here is what I have for you all so far -

If I missed you, have anything down wrong, or you want to change anything, tell me. By the way, for good measure, if you put down JoJo's Bizarre Adventure I am counting that as ALL of it unless you specified otherwise like Real Talker. I'm not gonna count spin offs or continuations for series like Fist of the North Star.

I PMed you my list.

Taboo-Tattoo 39
RIP death flags. Good thing this chapter was fairly mindless, since I'm starting to lose the plot a bit. I still think Schrodinger's Cat would've been more effective without the possession trick, especially if it leaves her that vulnerable to damage.

Okay then here's my list.

JoJo
Berserk
The Ancient Magus Bride
Kokou no Hito

If you had to pick just 3, which ones would you pick. You can add others later after you complete one to fill another in. I want to keep it at 3 because the point is to slim down your backlog to just those three choices so you know you will read them. Anymore and I feel like you would get burden of choice once more, making it null.

If you had to pick just 3, which ones would you pick. You can add others later after you complete one to fill another in. I want to keep it at 3 because the point is to slim down your backlog to just those three choices so you know you will read them. Anymore and I feel like you would get burden of choice once more, making it null.

Okay then

Kokou no Hito
Luficer and the Biscuit Hammer
JoJo

Shouta

OPM 105 (ONE)

Knowing ONE this might get updated later.

More Fubuki vs Tatsumaki stuff and the Fubuki Group showing their loyalty to her even though she said they were disbanding. Let's see if they can do something or get blown up by Tatsu, lol

OPM 105 (ONE)

this is why I let it pile up.... I mean cut halfway through something intense (It will likely get updated)

Tornado sounded basically like a pure villain here though... she even wants her sister to embrace the dark side

Zweizer

Banned
Swap ⇔ Swap ch9

Oh my, this certainly opens up a lot of potential.

Nice to see how beneficial swapping can be to some people~

somedevil

OPM 105 (ONE)

this is why I let it pile up.... I mean cut halfway through something intense (It will likely get updated)

Tornado sounded basically like a pure villain here though... she even wants her sister to embrace the dark side

One according to his twitter is ill so he couldn't do the whole chapter. The rest is suppose to come Jan 2.

Tornado basically is screwed up after being sold to scientist by her adopted parents and abandoned by the scientists when that monster got out.

So she is trying to push her views on her sister where she is basically its only them and no one else.

Berserk Re-read (END/Or Rather UPToDate)

Well that is that... I am up to date again, still it was a ride well worth it. The Series has matured and grown way beyond the scope it presents itself from the lonesome dark beginning. The author balances his side characters while not forgetting to re-use people that most other authors later seem to forget. I love the additional comedic expect that later expanded with more characters. I also love the fact that every group has now a RPG like party of members each with their own talents. Makes the story more varied and interesting even if we are not with the main group. Alas to marathon through this makes the infamous boat journey feel more refreshing and surprisingly short in length and number of chapters then what I and others infamously remembered it to be. (Of course the main reason for it being long was do to hiatuses rather then number of chapters.)

A well structured story that expands in all directions without losing it sense of balance. A marvel in world building and character development, Berserk is a must read for all action/fantasy Manga lovers.

I find it hard to articulate the vast appeal Berserk holds for me. I was first exposed to it this year, and it has so intensely changed the way I view the world and my life since that time. Literally, it's one of the cornerstones in my inner-world. I very consistently refer to it as a source of internal symbols and meanings.

I can analyze aspects of the story for hours and hours. It actually increases my interest, cumulatively, and keeps me thinking "Jeez, this Miura dude is a story-telling, character weaving, universe crafting genius!" I can't think of many other things that have had this effect on me. It can be a great work of art, able to stand on it's own merits with awesome execution/artistry/poise, but still, I often find it pales in comparison to the power Berserk has had on me. Berserk is a whole universe in it's own right. And not just in the typical fictional sense. Everything seems to be carefully thought out, and there's a lot of subtlety. I also think a large part of it is Miura's willingness to explore various existential problems such as the meaning of struggle, overwhelming despair, and the darker aspects of humanity.

It's offered me so much inspiration. There is this deep sense of truth that resounds throughout the entirety of the story. From incredibly intimate and personal levels (Griffith, Casca, Guts, new members!), to incredibly vast and metaphysical (yet metaphysical doesn't just mean arbitrary hocus pocus, one can actually extrapolate the metaphysical things for themselves, and have it make so much sense! It's logical and plausible and appeals to the patterns and such that I see in the world). It's just so rich, and in many ways it mirrored (and also redefined) the philosophy I've held, about existentialism/suffering, archetypes, the existence of "evil" (the idea!), etc, and how all of them are wrought from humanity.

It blows my mind when I think this is all the work of one man. I was never previously that interested in the graphic novel/manga format, but Berserk showed to me how masterfully it can be done, and how much can be conveyed just via a few panels. Also, the art! Gosh, the art!

Gah, this amounted to more of a "Berserk is just an effing masterpiece" than me specifically saying why. If I was a more patient person, I could write paragraphs and paragraphs trying to encapsulate the essence of Berserk's awesomeness, from the smallest of minutia, to large/overriding themes or motifs, but I don't think this would be doing anyone any favors, as I have a tendency to be long winded or verbose, and by all means, I feel the work should speak for itself.

^^^^
well put.... there are so many great series now that I feel we are returning to another golden age of entertainment
One according to his twitter is ill so he couldn't do the whole chapter. The rest is suppose to come Jan 2.

Tornado basically is screwed up after being sold to scientist by her adopted parents and abandoned by the scientists when that monster got out.

So she is trying to push her views on her sister where she is basically its only them and no one else.

Oh I never knew.... hopefully he gets a well needed rest

Also that plot.... dang I never knew that did that leak

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Cat Street - fin.

I've not read Boys Over Flowers or watched any of its various adaptations, and I don't think I ever will tbh, but I am familiar with the basic story. Cat Street, another shoujo by the same mangaka, has a setup I find much more interesting. It's about a girl, Keito, a former child actress, who suffered a traumatizing experience on stage as a kid, and sank into a deep depression. Things are so bad that she drops out of school and cuts herself off from the rest of society. The story begins proper when Keito is 16 and wandering around on her own, where she's approached by a stranger who guides her to El Liston, a laid back school for teens who are lost in life. There she makes some friends, other students with issues themselves, and together with her little band of stray cats she begins trying to pick up the pieces of her life.

Keito herself is really charming. Though every now and then she'll have a dramatic moment, for the most part she is a kind of honest look at a former hermit trying to be social again. She is unfamiliar with the real world, and uneducated on top of that, so there's this mix of confusion, surprise, and a bit of frustration in her reactions to common everyday things. It's kind of sad. She has trouble reading and writing, she struggles to articulate her thoughts, she makes a dated pop culture reference that her friends find embarrassing. At one point she has a conversation with her dad and wonders when he got so old. Life completely passed this girl by. Of course, there's more to Keito's story than just feeling bad for her, she really does work to overcome her obstacles and her growth throughout Cat Street, from awkward teen to an upbeat adult, is handled well.

Unfortunately, right when Keito gets her first boyfriend, the pacing accelerates to an absurd degree. A lot of what are supposed to be important moments, like the aforementioned boyfriend, just suddenly happen and as a result don't have much impact. Some friends phase in and out, some friends are benched for the rest of the story, there are multiple time skips, and a few things that should've been expanded on (her relationship with her family, particularly her mother) are hastily taken care of and it's all pretty unsatisfactory. All of this happens within roughly 15 chapters, no less. Keito is still quite likable, and I wouldn't say the latter half-ish of Cat Street is, like, unreadable or anything - well, mostly. See, right before the end, the mangaka completely loses it with this kidnapping arc. This arc is so out of left field and over the top dumb. It adds nothing, not to the overall plot, not to Keito as a character, and it not only feels like this was stapled on to the story at the last second, but it takes up time that could've been better spent on literally anything else.

Things calm down enough in the final two chapters to give Cat Street a warm sendoff, but the damage had already been done. Great lead character, mostly well done look at a recluse trying to reenter the real world, but it turns into a mess. I wish this were better.

Seeing as 2015 is now coming to an end.... (has already ended for people living in the future) we can make up random awards that have no relevance what so ever

Again I reward the Nakiri family for the genetic superiority in possessing the best looks in all of Shokugeki no Soma

You can hate on Erina for all you want but she has that Nakiri DNA... the same blood of Queen Alice runs in Erina's veins

No wonder why Soma's Dad wants his son to get hitched ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

MANGA NEW YEARS BACKLOG CLUB

Akito -

Akira
Nausicaa
Yotsuba (Not serious?)

AquaWateria

Kokou no Hito
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure

B-Dubs -

Fuuka

DakkuMauji -

Eyeshield 21
Oresame Teacher
Hoshin Engi

Dresden -

Oyasumi Punpun

Droplet -

Vinland Saga
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Oyasumi Punpun

Dedication Through Light -

Medaka Box
Eyeshield 21

Jintor -

One Piece up to the Timeskip (chapter 598)
Lone Wolf and Cub

mdubs -

Slam Dunk
Twin Spica
Pluto

MetroidPrimeRib -

Vagabond
7 Seeds
Mob Psycho 100

Semblance -

Please Save my Earth
Fourteen
Sanctuary

striferser -

Takemitsu Zamurai

TheFlow -

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
Berserk
Yamada-kun and the Seven Witches

TheRealTalker -

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Parts 5-8
Fist of the North Sta
Gundam the Origin

Upandaway -

Tamayura Kitsune
Nukoduke
How to Make a Gentle World

Zweizer ~

I am a Hero
Historie
Mob Psycho 100

Let the games begin

oh, and happy new year

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I think i'm going to add more manga to new year manga club...

Happy new year MangaGAF!

I made my 2015 manga list

1. Dungeon Meshi
2. Spirit Circle
3. Vinland Saga
4. Jojolion
5. Silver spoon
6. Shin Saikyou densetsu Kurosawa
7. Prison School
8. Otouto no otto
9. One punch man
10. Mob psycho 100

Honorable mention:
Dagashi Kashi
Match girl
Shokugeki no soma
Method to make a gentle world
Kono bijutsu niwa mondai ga aru
Re:life
How i stalked some dude with an exposed nipple and stumble upon zenithian sword
Hana to Alice
Thou shall not die (Yoko Taro x Daisuke Moriyama)
Yandere Kanojo
Flying witch
Alice in borderland
Drifters
Sesuji wo pin
High Score Girl
34sai Mushoku san

Random award
Best hero: Thorfinn (Vinland Saga)

Best heroine: Hotaru (Dagashi Kashi)

Best supporting character:
Chairman/Silva/Man in brief/Assman (Prison school)
Rindo (Shokugeki no soma)

Best author: Kui Ryoko (Dungeon meshi, terrrarium in drawer)

Best illustrator: Hiramoto Akira (Prison School)

Best cover design: One Punch Man

Best hiatus: Togashi Yoshihiro (Hunter x Hunter)(Only because we never know if he's going to finish it or not, Miura at least has bigger chance to return)

Best 'no context' manga: EG Maker

Best monster girl: Rachnee (Monmusu no nichijou)

Best food: Fried Basilisk (Dungeon meshi)

Historical moment in manga: They off the boat (Berserk)

Still waiting for it to resume publication: High score girl

Zweizer

Banned
34-sai Mushoku-san ch1-8 by Ikeda Takashi

The daily life of a middle-aged and recently unemployed woman, as she fusses with mundane things to occupy her mind. Pretty down-to-earth and honest slice of life series.

Revo

Himouto! Umaru-chan 136

lol didn't think about giving anything to her brother after asking for a 200 dollar game+console
solid

Zweizer

Banned
Wakabayashi Toshiya’s 4-koma Collection ch38

Gosh, these two are so adorable, it's almost criminal.

It's alright to be a little bit more selfish~

Seishun Rikon ch6

This is turning sour unexpectedly fast.

Yuri Kuma Arashi ch. v1 Omake

Hahaha.

Batou Shoujo ch29-33

So lewd, and romantic, but mostly lewd.

trash. ch30

Huh, that's a strange weapon.

Red String ch35

That wasn't very smart.

Status