• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Bloodborne ; Miyazaki shines again. Killing masterfully designed monster in gorgeous environment with style, while you have to pay for every mistake dearly. It never gets old.

Carl7

1. Bloodborne ; From Software managed to create a new IP while keeping the overall masterpiece quality of the Souls series.
2. Undertale ; Very original game with excellent soundtrack and characters.
3. Witcher 3 ; The definition of an AAA game.

dimbismp

Neo Member
It seems that Bloodborne will win over the Witcher.Maybe i should try this game,although i have only played Dark Souls for like 5 minutes

Lernaean

Banned
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; There is little to say about this game that i haven't already said before. I have been a fan of the series and Kojima's work from the very beginning, so excuse me, but I'm not shocked that once more Kojima did not make the game as everyone in the internet expected, i do not find the story or any of the characters not fitting, and i won't devalue any game because a trashy publisher tried to monetize the shit out of it. I will judge it by the gameplay though. And from simply moving around to figuring out more and more stupid ways to go through a mission, this game delivers. In spades. This is the best game i played this year, and the one that probably got me occupied more than all the other games combined this year, counting more than 600 hrs in my two saves (one on PS4 and one on PC). Things could have been even better, but what is there, is one of the best games I've ever played.

2. Bloodborne ; Ok, we have a game by Hidetaka Miyazaki, and the Souls DNA is more obvious than Baldwin DNA is in the Baldwin family. Add to that some Victorian aesthetics, some classic horror tropes and some Lovecraftian cosmic horror in it, and what do we get? We get what should be my favorite game of all time actually. Well is it? No, not really. First off, it is too short, then i have to say i feel like the equipment is too sparse, and last but not least, as an old friend of the 'series', i feel like both the NPCs and the interactions with them (Covenants, sidequests, etc) are too few. The DLC felt like it was adding to the game things that were missing from the original game itself, rather than being an expansion; it feels like it finished the game, and even then, i still feel there are too few NPCs. Additionally, i really struggled to enjoy the Chalice Dungeons. It feels like such a drag. I sound disappointed right? Hell no. It still is the second best game this year, and one in my top 10 of all times list.

3. DariousBurst: Chronicle Saviours ; Those who know me, know how much i dreamt of DariusBurst coming on home consoles or PC. Some might remember an initiative i started to bombard Taito's social media accounts about it. It seems like dreams do come true after all, and this game found its way out of the arcades. And what a port it is. The sheer amount of content makes this game worth the admittedly steep release price, and the quality of the port itself is stupid. Also i have to say that if i could vote for the best publisher of 2015, the prize would go to Degica for being so awesome with their STG releases. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

4. Splatoon ; I never thought I'd enjoy a multiplayer shooter that much. It just ain't my thing, but Splatoon is one of the coolest, freshest gaming experiences i had in a long while, having the publisher with some of the best quality releases every year, task a new team with new ideas, taking a very tired genre, giving it a twist and serving it with a different spice every few weeks. The genre is still not my thing, but the outcome is way too cool to ignore. Excellent art direction too btw. Perfect.

5. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition ; Now this is my kind of game, but to be honest, i wasn't sure i wanted to include it as it is a port of a previous gen game. But then as i thought and as some friends said, it ain't just a straight port so...
Well DMC4 was always the game with the best combat mechanics in its genre, but it always felt too little. Too repetitive, too unfinished, almost too cheap. I always loved the designs and all, but yeah, too little. DMC4SE elevates this game to my favorite of the genre, with a lot of added content and new playable characters. PlatinumGames will have to work extra hard to beat that, and Itsuno should be already working on his DMC5 to make sure no one will take the throne from him any time soon.

6. Super Mario Maker ; I very often ask myself 'is this a game?', but then again i should ask the same question for countless other games out there too.
Thing is, gaming is about breaking new frontiers in the field of digital interactive entertainment, right? Making software that will have the user enjoy interacting with it. And with this approach Mario Maker is the coolest thing that happened in a long while. I always enjoy going through the courses that other people like me created, and this is a step forward for gaming on its own.

7. Starcraft II: Legacy of the Void ; Kinda late to the party, i started it last week, but i already know i love it. I'm an old fan of the game, I'm primarily a Zerg player, with Protoss coming third place, but this campaign was excellent and i can't wait to dive into multiplayer now.

8. Dodonpachi Ichimenbancho ; Not in the eligible list, but it is a new game, it released in 2015, so I'll might as well add it. At first i was talking about it with a friend online, and he said the game is YGW. I dismissed it, as i thought he just meant the scoring system, but later i found a tweet from Cave and it must really be a YGW game which is cool.
Now about the game, I'll never accept STG with touch controls, but this one is at least enjoyable. It plays good, the difficulty variation is good, and it's stupidly addictive. I think i found the second mobile game i like, after Hearthstone.

9. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Not a fan of the original, and hardly enjoyed TR 2013, i bought this one out of sheer hype. And guess what? It's one of the best games i played this year. It controls a lot better than the previous one, it looks stupidly good, it has a ton of content, i believe i never visited the same area twice, and it has an awesome campaign. CD are on the right path to making good games.

10. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; I am a RE geek, so i tend to play everything RE (well almost everything, even i have some taste :p), But Rev2 really surprised me. It's cheap and it stinks of it, and It has other problems too, but they nailed the atmosphere just right, they made an awesome roller-coaster of a campaign, and they made a game i wish it had RE6's budget and combat system. Also the Raid mode is very enjoyable.

Honorable Mentions
x. Mushihimesama ; It's a straight port, so i can't add it on the GotY list proper, but it's always a damn good game, and i have to add it here to express once more how glad i am for that initiative from STG devs and Degica and others to bring these games on Steam.

x. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; Another game i think it's unfair to put on the proper list, but an excellent game nevertheless.

x. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; Well, another one i won't add to the proper list, but if i did, it would be no1. Excellent game which i have no idea how many times i have played already.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; There is little to say about this game that i haven't already said before. I have been a fan of the series and Kojima's work from the very beginning, so excuse me, but I'm not shocked that once more Kojima did not make the game as everyone in the internet expected

Well said.

Rush_Khan

1. Bloodborne ; An absolute masterpiece in world building and combat. I am a huge Souls fans and had huge expectations for this game. It did not disappoint. Amazing lore which I am still reading up on til this day. Every action game fan must play this classic.

2. Rocket League ; Split-screen couch co-op is a dying breed so it's refreshing to play with my siblings on the same screen once again. The gameplay is simple but so, so good. This is the best multiplayer game I've played in a long time.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest ; The graphics are absolutely gorgeous and the gameplay is top-notch. The music and story are also very good. I enjoyed this game a lot. I haven't enjoyed a platformer in a long time, let alone a metroidvania. I'm glad to have played this game.

4. Tearaway Unfolded ; Never played the Vita version so I was excited to play this. Such a sweet, innocent game. Despite being a grown, male adult who hates kiddy stuff I loved every minute of this. The mechanics and puzzles are refreshing and the voice acting is brilliant.

5. Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin ; This is a brillaint remaster and anyone who did not enjoy the original should try this out. It fixes so many of the problems in the original such as enemy locations, and adds a lot of extra content.

6. FIFA 16 ; The game felt really balanced when it was first released (now ruined after so many patches). They finally removed the 'long ball over the defenders' tactic which is refreshing. I really like the variety in celebrations (but hate the one involving the camera).

7. Final Fantasy Type-0 HD ; You can tell it was orginally a PSP game but this game has one of the best combat systems I've ever experienced in a game. It is just so satisfying to get a Killsight, particularly against large enemies and bosses. Story could've been better but it will do.

8. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Haven't completed it yet and don't really enjoy the Batmobile, but the graphics are really good and the combat is much improved.

9. Yu-Gi-Oh! Legacy of the Duelist ; Standard card game which brought back a lot of memories. I last played Yu-Go-Oh cards about 10 years ago and a lot has changed, but this game made me feel nostalgic and allowed me to experience the new mechanics.

10. Race the Sun ; Very simple game which is nice to pass the time with. I enjoy fast-paced arcade games and this game delivered.

Steel

Banned
It seems that Bloodborne will win over the Witcher.Maybe i should try this game,although i have only played Dark Souls for like 5 minutes

Worst tutorial in the series, but if you get past that, it's a great game. If you have trouble, soulsbourne Gaf would be more than happy to give you advice.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
1. The Witcher: Wild Hunt; The play counter was broken through most of my playthrough so I can't tell you how many hours I sunk in this game, but it was a bunch. I think it combines the better open world adventure aspects of Skyrim with defined characters and goals of say RDR. Everything (to me) built to a proper crescendo and I got a pretty decent resolution. Can't wait to go back through once both DLCs are available, and hit some quests I missed the first time.

2. Bloodborne; I think From did a pretty good job of taking the well established formula of the previous Souls games and creating something new with a style and feel all its own. I know the debate will rage forever for some on whether Bloodborne is a just a Souls game, but to me, the lore, the art style, the changes in combat, the pace, its all its own. It was also nice to see a return to a more interconnected world design after DSII

3. Life is Strange; First, let me say I hate the name of this game. It doesn't really encompass what the story is about. Rather than get into the characters and story, which really need to be experience 1st hand, not in a review or some wikipedia page, I'll say they game does a great job of asking a question we've all asked ourselves. What if you could go back and change time? What if you could stop this from happening or make something else happen? What if that choice leads to something worse?

4. Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition; I've been told by a few PC elitists here that us poor console plebes are too stupid to appreciate a CRPG like Divinity, yet here I am, 50 hours in and loving it. The story is...there and the characters are fine, but its the battles, the use of skills and supplies to outsmart the enemies to win those fights you were sure you were going to die in. I encourage anyone sitting on the fence for this one to make the plunge. The game is really easy to control with a controller.

5.Axiom Verge; I think its kinda sad that we've become so cynical to games like these that we see them as little more than trendy callbacks to gaming's golden age. To me though, games like Axiom Verge and Shovel Knight are in the format they are because thats how they work best, not because of some hipster trend. AV has plenty of cool weapons, secrets, music, levels. Its the stuff you loved in Super Metroid, and that doesn't go out of style.

6.Rise of the Tomb Raider; I'm not as interested in comparing this iteration with Core's series or with Uncharted as some still are. We know from the last game where this is headed and either you can enjoy that or you cannot. RitTR won't change your mind. That said they have really improved from the reboot two years ago. The enemy encounters are so much better planned, its not just stupid wave of mooks one after the other. The large enemy encounters are broken up and smartly spaced away from each other, and the smaller firefights are just more enjoyable with some solid enemy AI. Best yet is the game is full of quiet moments where its just Lara in the world. The optional tombs to explore are still physics based, but they're screen filling set pieces with some of them needing more than just 1 or 2 steps to solve the puzzle. I think this one at least recaptures some of the spirit of adventure that the 2013 lost by being too dark and gritty.

7. Everyone's Gone to the Rapture;So the big complaint here is a)no real exploring, the trail of stardust memories shows you the way and b) everything already happened, why am I not experiencing the "event" as it transpires. I think the first is a bit of a legitimate gripe, there is a sizable area here to traverse but no real incentive to go off path. As far as the second, I thought it was cool to piece together everyones past and their relationships, and when one character's story ends, you usually find another. There is a surreal quality to the whole thing that isn't entirely mired by something creepy or dark......other than pretty much everyone is gone.

8. Batman: Arkham Knight ; I actually didn't mind the batmobile itself, its more what Rocksteady wanted you to do with it that was annoying. No more tube races, no more chasing APCs that don't have to obey the same physics imposed on the batmobile....you get the point. The AK storyline itself is lame. If you know anything about the Batman comics...and I haven't read them since 1993 then you know who it is. I did like the Joker and Scarecrow bits. I enjoyed the game enough to put it on the list anyway.

9.Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; The game plays great, I recently got to
Africa
but there isn't much story here to push it forward. Mother Base is also a great idea, but I don't like the whole Big Shell inspired motif.

10. Fallout IV; This makes the list just barely because I've finally sunk a few hours into it to get a feel (just got it two weeks ago). I know how these Bethesda open world games are, jank and all and I have loved every one of them. Don't see this being much different. I'm not sold yet on the whole sanctuary base mode though.

Aesnath

1. Undertale ; Actually only got a chance to play this last week--my daughter wanted to play it after hearing about it from her friends. Well, part Earthbound, part deconstruction of JRPGS, and all-entertaining, I was in for a surprise. This is my current argument for games-as-art. It is a beautiful thing to experience and it makes me happy that I haven't given up on videogames yet.

2. Bloodborne ; Sort of the opposite of my number 1, I was pretty sure of what I was getting into before actually playing it. Still, the game gets high points for setting very high expectations on my part and actually meeting them. Although it only tweaks the souls formula, it gives me hope that From will be able to make games I like this much in their upcoming post-souls era.

3. Until Dawn ; So, I liked heavy rain, but it felt rough and your ability to influence the plot was pretty shallow. Moreover, the plot was somewhat inconsistent. In many ways, until dawn is realization of what I wanted heavy rain to be. Honestly, it is simply less ambitious. However, it is also more consistently executed and plays directly into B-movie horror tropes in a satisfying way. Also, meaningful sections abound.

4. Axiom Verge ; A good game, and probably the best metroid we will see for a while. I enjoyed the game, but, I may have set my expectations a bit too high, as it left me a bit wanting at the end.

1. Witcher 3 ; one if the best games I ever played
2. Fallout 4 ;
3. Pillars of Eternity ;
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ;
5. Dying Light ; did not expect it to be this good

Randam

Why is this thread so hard to find?

1. Bloodborne ; love Demon's and Dark Souls 1 and also likes this.

2. Axiom Verge ; fun metroid inspired game. We need more if these.

1. Undertale ; Adored it. It's been ages since I played a feelsgame and I totally picked the right one. Fantastic soundtrack and art direction too.
2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I dunno, I like the scale, mecha, and world a lot. Enough to go for a completionist run even.
3. Street Fighter V Beta ; the only other 2015 release I remember playing last year. Lotsa fun; can't wait for the main course!

1. Destiny The Taken King ; Selfish vote by me but Destiny is one of my favorite games of all time. The Taken King shot new life into the game and I am still going strong 1200+ hours later

2. Bloodborne ; From start to finish I was blown away. Every time you play you get a little better. The feast or famine combat system in the game seems to just work in this setting.

3. Fallout 4 ; I was enthralled with this game, its a little too much like Fallout 3 but Fallout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. The improved shooting mechanics make this game a joy to play.

4. Rocket League ; Where do I even start? surprise of the year for me. Incredible game play. Online with friends is so much fun.

5. Elder Scrolls Online ; The game plays amazingly well on console. The work they did into the UI is top notch. I love the setting.

6. Yo-Kai Watch ; Fresh take on the monster genre with amazing graphics. Its really fun and the mechanics of the games are solid, Pokemon needs to take note (from an engine perspective)

7. Rainbow Six Siege ; Another huge surprise this year. The game plays more like if Rainbow Six and Counter Strike had a love child. In a world where I can't be bothered with Call Of Duty this game fills that niche.

8. Life Is Strange ; Amazing. Beautiful. Unforgettable. I really can't wait to grab the full package this month and play it again with my wife.

9. Star Wars Battlefront ; Not enough here to make it higher on my list but what is there is well crafted and very fun.

10. Metal Gear Solid V ; Not amazing in my opinion and I was let down by the narrative but still mechanically fantastic and easily rounds out my top ten this year.

Honorable Mention:

x. Lara Croft GO ; what a great puzzle game that looks and sounds amazing on the go. It's exactly what I want in a mobile game

tusken77

SX6OgHT.png

1. Rocket League ; An astonishingly brilliant game that quickly became a phenomenon. With well over a thousand online matches under my belt it still feels fresh as it always has. Factor in the continuing impressive DLC and this is a game I know I'll be playing throughout the generation and beyond.

0I7RF2i.png

2. The Order: 1886 ; Quite simply the best visuals I've ever seen combined with an alternate history world full of interesting characters and lore that I find hugely appealing. RAD have built a solid foundation with incredible potential and I dearly hope this is the beginning of a new franchise.

AAFRB8v.png

3. Tearaway Unfolded ; Charming, quirky, with incredible creativity coming from every pixel, this is unmistakably a game from the geniuses at Media Molecule. A joy to play, complete with inspired use of the DS4 and a fantastic soundtrack, this is a wonderful, special game.

Czz7RBB.png

4. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; My favourite series of last gen packaged on one disc, upgraded to 1080/60 complete with enhanced visuals by the brilliant Bluepoint, and extras such as a new difficulty level and Photo Mode thrown in for good measure. Beautiful.

y1YAVn9.png

5. Grow Home ; I'd heard good things about this game but didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. A WALL-E-esque climb 'em up, the sense of freedom and adventure made for a tremendous vertical journey that had me tightly holding onto my shoulder buttons like no other game before.

Honourable mentions for three games that would've undoubtedly made my list had I played them in 2015....

Bloodborne ; I purposely held on for the Game of the Year edition but haven't picked it up yet.

Star Wars Battlefront ; Waiting for the complete version before I make that purchase later in the year.

Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I've been busy with other games and simply haven't bought it yet.

branny

WSpK0xH.png

1. Bloodborne ; Punishing and atmospheric, Bloodborne is Souls with a twist, trading some breadth for a more specific kind of experience. Most traditional ranged options and shields have been removed, so aggressive melee combat is now front and center. Though complaints over diminished playstyle diversity may be valid, the action’s been refined, resulting in tight, elegant fights both speedier and less mechanical than previous entries. Alone this makes for an interesting change of pace, but woven into every facet of the game is Bloodborne’s most surprising triumph: a twisted tale of ambition and sacrifice, one of Lovecraftian horror that tasks players to safeguard their sanity as they push into the unknown.

X41STt1.png

2. UNDERTALE ; Subverting expectations at every turn, UNDERTALE is much less about being a game you play than it is about being one that plays you. The less you know going into it, the better. Saying anything more would lessen UNDERTALE’s impact, but its stellar soundtrack, bullet-dodging battles, and quirky personality help keep things entertaining long after any secrets come to light. I may not be as obsessed as some other fans, but I can’t deny just how often UNDERTALE caught me off guard—it exceeded my expectations, ending up way more than the sum of its parts. Sadly, some may be put off by the extra effort required to fully appreciate all this game has to offer—it’s impossible to see everything in a single playthrough.

lXyRfKn.png

3. ONE PIECE: PIRATE WARRIORS 3 ; Though some of my favorite One Piece characters still aren’t playable, PW3’s an improvement over PW2 in almost every possible way. I never imagined my favorite musou title would be some random entry in a spinoff series based on licensed property, yet here I am. What? A Warriors game in his Top 3? Well, sometime when you weren’t looking, musou games started to play like this. PW3 on PS4 is everything I could want: fast-paced action, free attack canceling, tons of onscreen enemies with great performance, decent bosses, faithful story scenarios, gobs of content, meaningful upgrades, and an incredibly varied roster. Coins and a few other things are implemented better here than they were in PW2, and the Kizuna system is often really satisfying. This was a great year for musou, especially with DRAGON QUEST HEROES finding a solid fanbase, but I enjoyed my time with PW3 so much that I platinumed it. I never do that.

jinTsQ7.png

4. SUPERBEAT: XONiC ; Hardcore arcade rhythm and accessibility don’t usually go hand-in-hand, but XONiC takes some serious strides toward player accommodation: its hybrid interface allows for both touchscreen and button input, occupying a happy medium between the two (though I suspect touch may not be completely viable for harder songs); the initial difficulty seems reduced compared to earlier DJMAX titles which gives more people a chance to enjoy themselves; and being able to continue playing after failing a song helps tremendously when it comes to memorization. While the new visual style takes some acclimation, XONiC’s note patterns are stellar as expected. Having chimes instead of note processing is a bummer but not a big deal with the game’s excellent beatmapping. Its eclectic soundtrack is awesome, too—a perfect foundation for playful, unique, and challenging tracks. XONiC’s thoughtful brand of finger hopping easily makes it my preferred music game this year.

8QfcutY.png

5. Crypt of the NecroDancer ; This excellent dungeon crawler puts a spin on traditional roguelike elements by setting everything to a beat. Though comparatively simple for the genre, CotN's rhythm angle keeps players thinking fast while also smartly preventing floors from eating up too much time. Newbies are smoothly introduced to the game via unlocks that throw quite a few playstyle-altering items and characters into the mix, eventually leading to advanced runs focusing on coins which dictate overall score upon completion. Practice rooms and things like custom soundtrack (and dance pad!) support flesh out the package. Okay, so… I’m generally not big on roguelikes. The ones I’ve tried usually fall into one of two categories, either being unpolished and lacking in some other meaningful way or so super complicated that it might literally shave years off a player’s lifespan. CotN lies somewhere in between—it’s fun and demanding in all the right ways.

n5P94lX.png

6. Mortal Kombat X ; MKX is great. While it doesn’t share the same impact as MK9, it expands on some old ideas and advances the MK universe in welcome ways. If MK9 was a rebirth for the franchise, MKX is the “new and improved” sequel to that. Stances are back in the form of variations, a much smarter implementation of character individuality than similar attempts earlier in the series. Past experience with Injustice also seems to have left its mark on MKX. Perhaps most interesting is the game’s roster—several mainstays got the boot in favor of some new blood. Though I miss a couple favorites, I’m happy with all these changes and am thankful that NetherRealm is treating MK’s legacy with the respect it deserves. There are a couple other fighting games I’d love to put on my list this year, but I want to give my nod to MKX for genuinely feeling new and not being afraid to shake a few things up. Post-launch support in the form of character packs and challenge tower events is just the cherry on top.

AXc398n.png

7. Persona 4: Dancing All Night ; I was worried about P4D at first, but I'm glad I gave it a chance: it’s an incredibly polished rhythm game wrapped in an ultra-slick presentation. Silly story aside, the overall package is outstanding with tons of content, gorgeous visuals, snappy loading, and personality to spare. For many, this is enough, but it’s the songs themselves that disappoint me as a big fan of the genre: tracks are way longer than they need to be, some visual design throws off timing, beatmapping can be a bit spotty, and note charts are often lackluster (though ones with more complex patterns generally fare better). The soundtrack can feel a bit sparse with multiple remixes of the same tunes, but it’s super nostalgic and enjoyable on its own even without prior emotional attachment. While P4D may underwhelm in certain areas for me, especially compared to SUPERBEAT: XONiC, I can’t deny how inviting the whole experience is—I found myself reaching for both games whenever I got bored of trudging my way through other titles.

FMZpGTi.png

8. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; We saw so many huge games this year, but usually with some sort of compromise taking place: a few were fun but trapped in barren or pointless worlds, while the opposite also occurred with more intriguing landscapes marred by stupid things or boring design. I held on to the hope that The Witcher III: Wild Hunt would be “the one” based on its warm reception, but its structure and mechanics wore me down—I was terrorized into completing generic map marker bloat after failing some sidequests by advancing the plot early on, and my tolerance eventually dwindled for the mediocre combat, poor UI, stressful inventory management (what should I keep? sell?), rapid equipment degradation, and arbitrary fast-travel limitations. It turns out that I’d find my huge 2015 game in an upgraded 2014 one, the ambitious yet flawed Divinity: Original Sin. Now, it’s nowhere near perfect. Bland storytelling holds back otherwise great, often humorous writing. Bizarre system mechanics, tuning, and unpredictable RNG can hamper game balance and character planning. Elements like crafting are frustratingly incomplete. Searching every single area for clues and loot grows tedious (just like manually healing after every tough battle). And the cumbersome UI only makes excessive inventory management worse. Bugs and several obtuse objectives late-game also had me pissed as hell! But you know what? My complaints are only a footnote in the grand scheme of things because experimenting with D:OS’s elemental combat somehow kept my attention for over 140 hours. Considering my inability to be as forgiving with TW3, I guess this all comes down to individual preferences. Anyway, it’s unfortunate that I never got to play the vanilla version—it seems like a lot of interesting builds were nerfed in D:OS’s Enhanced Edition.

tnMf0eb.png

9. Splatoon ; When Splatoon’s initial reveal capped Nintendo’s E3 conference one year, I scoffed. It looked rough and wasn’t what I wanted to see at all. I guess it’s a good thing that you can’t rely on first impressions! I'm glad to be wrong because this game’s a breath of fresh air in a genre full of clones. Not since Vanquish have I felt so invested in a new shooter IP. Though I only glean so much fun from extended inking sessions, I'm happy to support something with its own identity. I mean, how could I not get behind a cute third-person shooter with interesting mobility and fun mechanics that allow for a wide range of skill levels? If only the single-player content were more elaborate—I feel like Splatoon is still just shy of reaching its full potential… I’ve otherwise found Nintendo’s output this year a little underwhelming, but I’m willing to cut the Wii U some slack after already delivering some of my favorite games this generation.

lwAFAUb.png

10. MONSTER HUNTER 4 ULTIMATE ; Despite being a longtime fan of the franchise, I actually didn't follow MH4 all that much before its release. I heard about some disease and the new weapons, but that was it. So, after basically going in blind, I guess I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s still Monster Hunter, and going from MH3U to MH4U will be a smooth transition for existing players, but it feels ever so slightly more refined this time around. Underwater fights have been nixed, so I guess that’s also one less thing for people to worry about. If I sound down on the game, it’s because MH4U is still Monster Hunter. Regardless of additions or tweaks, you’re going to have to grind all over again. I love the franchise’s approach to action, making boss fights into events, challenges that you have to learn how to overcome by facing them head-on. I love how you start from nothing and build yourself up, not just with equipment but also knowledge and skill. I just can’t devote time to the ridiculous endgame anymore. Single-digit drop rates on some materials are criminal. For everything MH gets right, the need to spend hour after hour battling RNG is just not feasible for my lifestyle anymore.

l8oEwpm.png

x Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair ; Though modest in appearance, EDF games are always a blast to pick up and play. This is an enhanced port of EDF 2025 offering some new content and tweaks in addition to somewhat better performance. 4.1 runs better than 2025 but still nowhere near as smoothly as advertised, especially when massive environmental destruction gets involved. Part of me isn’t complaining, though—the occasional slowdown and frame drops from crazy scenarios overwhelming the hardware often makes those moments feel more intense. Several distinct classes are available in 4.1 along with a huge array of weapons, enemies, missions, and difficulties, while the satisfying mix of visual and tactile feedback is just as great as ever. Those not turned away by rough edges and a repetitive structure may be pleasantly surprised with this chaotic, challenging arcade-style shooter. December was a good month for mayhem along with Just Cause 3, but EDF 4.1’s elaborate character, weapon, and enemy variety trounce anything JC3’s samey liberations have to offer.

zr8yFrS.png

x. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Ori's a heartfelt Metroidvania-lite with incredible sound design, beautiful visuals, and a great difficulty curve. Presented like a fairy tale, this is an excellent platformer that steadily ramps up the action as its story unfolds. Many upgrades feel substantial, and the game is flexible enough to support different kinds of runs. Being able to create your own save points is also incredibly smart. Unfortunately, achievements to keep track of special playthroughs (among other things) appear bugged at the moment, and there are also several missables—proceed with caution when tackling specific challenges! Hopefully these rough spots get smoothed out by the time Ori’s Definitive Edition rolls around, but, even as it is now, you could do far worse. While its map may funnel you a bit more than other titles with similar item-gated structures, Ori remains exciting. I’d rather play this than Yoshi’s Woolly World or Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, I’ll tell you that much.

fdAkG2Y.png

x. SOMA ; Highlighted by its thought-provoking story about humanity and existence, SOMA is more about getting into your head than thrilling with cheap scares. Similar themes have been handled in other titles (with Digital Devil Saga being one of my previous favorites), but a razor-sharp focus, isolating atmosphere, and careful presentation place SOMA near the top for me. Unfortunately, it’s kind of underwhelming as an actual game. SOMA’s prowling enemies are more annoying than frightening, as level designs and mechanics aren’t particularly conducive to hiding from danger, and a handful of confusing areas don’t exactly help with the pacing, either. Still, I feel like it succeeds by threatening players on a more personal level, delving into subject matter that should be intrinsically unsettling to everyone—you’re thrust into an unfathomable situation where everything’s gone completely and utterly wrong, and nothing can bring it back. SOMA’s story stuck with me long after its credits rolled, so give this a go if you've ever wondered about the nature of life and can suspend a little disbelief.

(GotY 2014 List)
(GotY 2013 List)
(Favorite Soundtracks of 2013)
(GotY 2012 List)
(GotY 2011 List)

Euron

For awhile I was adamant on making a top 5 list. Then as I bought more games I wanted to make a top 10. But after awhile, I just decided that there are certain games that I played which don't deserve the credit compared to the others I'm listing. I really wanted to get to Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles X but Nintendo just had to choose two of the worst release dates possible for them in accordance with my schedule for gaming. Also just heard of Life is Strange recently.

Anyway here's the list.

1. Bloodborne ; Yeah I know, the love of this game has become a GAF meme. But in a year of some of my favorite releases of all time, taking the title of GOTY took tremendous effort. So what makes Bloodborne so special? To put it simply, it's a jack of all trades and master of many. It is in the top of its class in terms of combat mechanics, level design, atmosphere, enemy design, boss fights, art direction, and more. It pulls no punches, beginning with a more difficult opening than any Souls game and does not relent. In fact, it defies your expectations with its cosmic twists and increasing horror themes. Complete this experience with one of the greatest final boss battles of all time and the best DLC this generation and you have a modern classic.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; After multiple delays and an apparent downgrade, I fully expected this game to disappoint. What I got instead was a game that combined the best aspects of some of my favorite games from last gen and took them even further. From a beautiful persistent world to great character relations to decisions that actually matter and have legitimate benefits and consequences, all wrapped up in a very well written story with some of the best quests I have ever played, The Witcher 3 has set a new standard in the RPG genre.

3. Undertale ; Easily one of my biggest surprises ever in gaming. I heard good things about the game without any specifics so after finding some extra money in my Steam Account, I purchased it and expected a fun little indie game. But from the very beginning to the finale of each ending, the game defied my expectations every step of the way. Spectacular writing and characters coupled with one of the best soundtracks I have ever heard (seriously I cannot praise it enough) made each playthrough extraordinary.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I hated this game at first. The prologue dragged on, the mission objectives were very repetitive, and the story was nonexistent at times. After taking a break for nearly two months, I decided to go back. But I went in with different expectations. This was the best decision I could have made, because without it, I would have missed one of the best open world games ever made. Unlike a typical Metal Gear or other games like The Witcher, completing each portion does not reward you with more story, it rewards you with more craziness. The key to enjoying MGSV is to use your imagination and let your inner crazy come out. In no time, I was riding a truck carrying decoys while strapped with C4 into battle with Take on Me playing as I commanded my dog to take down unsuspecting guards. It's the only game that truly makes you feel that you're in charge of an army, as you call in supply drops, bombardments, and air support at will. It's one of the only open world games that's actually OPEN. You have countless ways to approach each situation and you are rewarded for your creativity. Yes the ending was cut and you're told to replay missions, but the fun factor is what makes this game push past its downsides and become one of 2015's best.

5. Super Mario Maker ; Easily the best pick up and play game this year. While this game could have failed spectacularly in many ways, it prevails through an extensive online system and incredible lineup of creators that add more personality than ever to the series. Its creation tools are superb and the lineup of great creators is expanding even more.

6. Rocket League ; This is why I should check out PS+ games more often. Rocket League's insane over the top gameplay alone is enough to warrant a purchase but releasing for free was insanely generous and quite an intelligent decision, given the community it helped build. I have not played a boring match of this, no matter the player count or experience. It's a game anyone can jump into yet is quite difficult to master.

psykomyko

1. Bloodborne ; The best part of the Souls series and this game, is the very first play-through not knowing anything going into it. Not a lot of games give me a sense of terrifying discovery. It's one of the many aspects that makes these games so amazing. When I first encountered
Father Gascoigne
, I thought to myself, "How in the world am I suppose to beat this guy?!" The game feels insurmountable at first, but after the game is defeated, you look back and feel like you should have never struggle with that boss in the first place.

2. Destiny: The Taken King ; I rented Destiny when it first came out, loved the gameplay. The shooting mechanics are just sublime, but like many others, felt it was really barren and boring. Really glad they fixed a lot of the issues with The Taken King. I spent an unhealthy amount of time with this game.

3. Batman: Arkham Knight ; It isn't the best in the series, but a worthwhile addition to the series.

4. Cities: Skylines ; Like many, I was incredibly disappointed in SimCity (2013). This game scratched every itch. A madly addicting game.

5. Rainbow Six Seige ; I have never been a huge fan of tactical shooters, but this was a lot of fun and really challenging.

There is a lot of games that I haven't been able to get to this year. Was playing a lot of PS2 and DS games this year :)

SURGEdude

1. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; A great game and the most fun I had all year. Almost across the board improvement over the last game.
2. Until Dawn ; An unexpected treat. A little slow to get moving but a real example of how lazy Telltale has gotten and how their engine is holding them back.
3. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; The best version of one of the best games of all time.
4. Splatoon ; Another great surprise and compelling reason to own a WiiU.
5. Tales from the Borderlands ; The best thing from Telltale in eons. The great writing and pacing were able to overcome the technical shortcomings.
6. Fallout 4 ; A great game that will provide many hours of enjoyment. A mild disappointment but only because expectations were so lofty.
7. Rare Replay ; A pack of some greats at a budget price. What's not to love?
8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; The peak of the series when it comes to mechanics but the rest of the package suffered.
9. Galactic Civilizations III ; A genre only the PC can provide. A really engrossing experience.
10. The Witcher III ; Great pacing in an open-world game? Yup the Witcher nailed it.

Honorable Mentions
x. Zombi ; One of the WiiU's top games makes a return on PS4/XB/PC and was worthy of more attention than it got.
x. Helldivers ; Addicting gameplay and surprising depth.

Neiteio

We can have a multi-post breakdown of our games, as long as we include the properly formatted and numbered list in one of the posts, correct?

My write-ups for No. 1, 2 and 3 are much longer than expected. I might do a countdown with several games per post, linking between them, with the final list in the final post.

krossj

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I’m not the biggest MGS fan. I’ve played most of the other games in the series and the only one which I really enjoyed was MGS 3 up until this. The complete change in structure from the rest of the series was so refreshing and made the game a lot more enjoyable. The flow from mission 10 to 13 with the way it intertwines with side ops was just a brilliant build up with a very efffective balance of story and gameplay. The open world structure changes a lot but it still retains a lot of the ridiculous touches that made the previous games humours with its ridiculous touches, D-Dog becoming a one dog army, D-Horse derailing a whole convoy with shite, the water pistol etc. Approaching each mission with different load outs, buddies etc was great fun. I often found myself approaching missions from a stealth angle but if shit kicked off I would just go with it. Having neither extremes of the two approaches as the only method for the vast majority of mission was a welcome relief. The music was a huge plus as well both the soundtrack and licensed music was implemented well. Chapter 2 did have some disappointing missions and i didn’t enjoy the skulls battles but that is the few negatives of the over all package. Along with the well crafted flow of certain missions, mission 31 stands out as some of the most fun i’ve had with a game in 2015, i could take a whole game of that sort of battle. I’m happy Kojima is free to develop something fresh with his new company and hope it contains many of the elements developed with this game.

2. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; Since MH3U I’ve kept an eye out for any news related to the series because of how much fun i had with it. Unsurprisingly MH4U is just as good. The design and characteristics of the new monsters fit right in. Whether it was whaling on a Tetsucabra trying to get a KO or frantically avoiding Shagaru Magalas explosion traps they all offer the same exciting gameplay I came to expect from my time with 3U. It removes the only frustrating component of its predecessor with no more clumsy underwater combat. Instead height is added to the arenas making for some fresh gameplay elements. The charge blade and insect glaive are great additions (if a little over powered) to the game offering interesting new mechanics to the combat. Online added more options with players taking specific roles or having certain tactics for taking down monsters efficiently. Nothing does combat like this series and I’m happy a lot more people are giving the game an opportunity.

3. Box Boy! ; Its just delightful! The minimalist visuals and the progression of mechanics along with the charmingness of it all is what had this gain a spot on my list. What starts off as a basic puzzle game progresses into a very enjoyable and occasionally tricky collection of levels. Trying to collect the crowns with the limited number of boxes available demonstrated how well the game had been crafted. A few collectables and extra modes also added to the overall charm of the game.

4. Brandish: The Dark Revenant ; I haven’t played an RPG quite like this, it seems to have kept true to its original SNES version in a lot of repeats which I enjoy. Still to finish it but currently on the fortress and think i am nearing the end. Its blend of dungeon crawling and combat makes it stand out on its own. The inventory was a bit of a hassle and a couple of the puzzles are a bit obtuse but it doesn’t take away from the overall gameplay. I found it having a lot in common with the etrain series. While nothing like it in terms of battle system, the exploration of the different floors with limited resources and searching in all the areas available just to find a new treasure chest or secret room gave the same enjoyment. Unless its the dark zone.. fuck that.

5. Undertale ; The music and the writing! It has been the funniest game i’ve played in a while, characters like Mettaton were brilliantly done. The battle with Toriel and the music that plays with it sold me on the game.There is something refreshing about the way standard game presentation, characters and gameplay is played with in this.

—

Ys Oath in Felghana - Ys is really good. Celceta was brilliant so I decided to play some of the older entries in 2015 and wasn’t disappointed. The boss battles and general flow of the game was great. Looking forward to playing more of the series and the next entry.

Bloodborne, Axiom Verge and Majors Mask are all games I just didn’t get round to for one reason or another. I’ve played majora before but would like to revisit it and Bloodborne and Axiom Verge are two i want to play as soon as.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; No doubt about it - this is my GOTY. I was not a fan of the series until this installment. But man... this is the game I was hoping Dragon Age Inquisition would be. Fantastic open world. Interesting characters. Varied quests. And Geralt is a grade A badass. I cannot wait for the next DLC to hit, and that's saying a lot since I hardly ever buy DLC.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; The glorious return of IE-type CRPGs. I kickstarted this game without a second thought, and my faith in this project was justified. It doesn't quite reach the plateau that games like Baldur's Gate II and Planescape: Torment reached, but it's a damn good effort. The lore is wonderful.
3. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ; My favorite JRPG of the year. And I've only had a few weeks to play it. I'm already looking forward to my second playthrough. This game's graphics + battle system quality of life improvements in FC and SC would be heavenly...
4. Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition ; Another game I kickstarted. This game impressed me much more than I could have hoped. The battle system is so much fun. I think I restarted 5 times before finding a pair of leads I was most happy with, but that is not a criticism. Rather, I enjoyed experimenting with so many combos of different classes. Kickstarted DOS2!
5. The Elder Scrolls Online ; MMO in one of my favorite game universes. The Elder Scrolls series has always held a special place in my heart. This game has just gotten better with time. It is now B2P with regular price discounts. Get it! Best MMO of 2015.
6. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I actually like this game less than its predecessor, but that's not to say it's a bad game. Far from it. The sheer amount of content is staggering. I regularly hear reports of people's playtime in the hundreds of hours. Skells are so much fun to use, but you have to make it past the 30 or so hour barrier just to experience them. If you are invested in the game, it's worth your patience.
7. Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance ; Best game in the series. By far. In fact, D5 has rekindled my love for the series. I hope to see more SRPGs on next-gen (current gen?) consoles.
8. Super Mario Maker ; The only non-RPG on the list. Which is kinda surprising. Then again, there were a lot of good RPGs this year. Mario Maker speaks for itself. It sells itself. This game speaks to almost every gamer who grew up on the Mario games of yesteryear. It will continue to spawn amazing creations for a long time to come.
9. Stella Glow ; A neat SRPG with a solid combat system and heavy visual novel influences. It's a shame we will never see more games from this studio.
10. Fallout 4 ; As with most Bethesda games, this is an ambitious game that succeeds and fails on so many levels. However, and most importantly to me, it's fun to play. I look forward to playing through it again someday on PC with a healthy amount of mods.

Honorable Mention:

X. Bloodborne ; Unfortunately, I have not put in enough time to justifiably add this to my top 10 list. However, there is no doubt this game oozes quality and atmosphere. From Software are mad geniuses. In fact, just talking about it makes me want to go back and play...

d1rtn4p

1. Fallout 4 ; As with most Bethesda releases, nothing else in their genre can really touch them. Fallout, and the worlds they create for the series are just unmatched with their theme and creativity.
2. Pillars of Eternity ; A return of the infinity engine like RPG. Immediately rises to the top and can't be denied whenever something like it comes out.
3. Technobabylon ; The best point and click adventure I've played in over a decade. The theme is amazing too.
4. Super Mario Maker ; Truly brought me back to sitting in my grandparents living room playing the original Super Mario Bros on my NES back in '86.
5. Mad Max ; Best open world game I've played since Just Cause 2. Loved the desperate setting and the constant struggle to scrounge for survival.
6. Hand of Fate ; Amazing mix of deck building, push your own luck, and hack and slash. Probably the most unique game I've played in a few years.

We can have a multi-post breakdown of our games, as long as we include the properly formatted and numbered list in one of the posts, correct?

My write-ups for No. 1, 2 and 3 are much longer than expected. I might do a countdown with several games per post, linking between them, with the final list in the final post.

Yes.

My ballot is too long! Can I split it into two posts?
You should NOT split your ballot into two, because the parser won't read it correctly. What you should do is make sure that your "official" list is somewhere in your posts, and that the rest does not conflict. For example, check Dark Schala's short novel from 2013's voting. The official ballot is appropriately listed at the end.

random25

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; A game I bought the Wii U for before it even got its final title. And it totally is worth it. Actually, it exceeded a lot of my expectations. This game takes the term "role-playing" to the core, with the player taking the role of a military guy in an organization called BLADE, doing all the things a BLADE member does and much more. A much improved and fast-paced battle system, a very large free-to-explore world that is very alive, well-designed aliens and monsters that has some of the best enemy AI I have ever experienced in a game, the addition of mechas called skells to further add depth to the battle and another degree of freedom for exploration and travel, a story that is a little more grounded but remains intriguing, characters that are less tropey but will still grow on you, and missions that can be straight up wacky to dark and gloomy. A rebel in a class of JRPGs that we are usually accustomed to, but the risks and changes this game took made it a one heck of a unique experience in the genre.

2. Splatoon ; This underdog of a game has been one of the biggest surprises for me this generation. A shooter that plays and looks like no other. The aesthetics may have put a lot of people off the first time because it seems too "kiddy", but even I have to admit it really looks so fresh (as Callie and Marie put it), and the Japanese folks agree with me. Its simple mechanics of painting floors and walls (note: it does not count to the score lol), added with the depth of strategic swimming and hiding in ink, ridiculously catchy songs, varied game modes, cool character and outfir designs, and different take on weapons, makes Splatoon a defining game not only for the Wii U, but for this generation as a whole. Let's all turn into squids now!

3. Super Mario Maker ; A 2D Mario game, on the GOTY list? Even I didn't see this one coming. This 2D Mario stage creator is one heck of a fun title. Just playing the best stages the community has to offer is already enough to justify the purchase of this game. Just watching somebody play some of the most ridiculous stages makes me think "why did Nintendo not do this sooner?" With a lot of assets and tools from different eras of 2D Mario, a lot of ways to mix different elements, great amiibo support, and continuously improving services...this game is really quite packed.

4. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; This remake is totally worth the wait. MM has been one of my favorite games of all time and I'm happy to see that more people get to be introduced and experience this game. And the added 3D is very nice indeed.

5. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ; What can I say? Best Monster Hunter game yet. This game improves a lot of things from previous iterations, yet it keeps its totally addicting experience. Now we wait for the next entry...

6. Yoshi's Woolly World ; The best Yoshi game in ages since Yoshi's Island. This is one great platformer that has taken its inspirations from YI. And the yarn design is really beautiful. A very charming game, yet gives even hardcore platformers a good challenge. And the co-op is enjoyable if your partner is not trolling you lol.

7. Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water ; It's been ages since the last entry to the series, and this game is still as spooky as ever, especially when playing alone. Using the gamepad as a camera to shoot photos of ghosts adds a little more fun in this game. It really took a while but it's worth the wait.

8. Stella Glow ; I'm glad Atlus brought it outside Japan. A one last hurrah from its developers Imageepoch, but I was never let down with this game. Great production values, fun strategy gameplay, and a pretty good story. Fans of SRPGs need to give this one a shot.

9. Rodea the Sky Soldier ; This game really takes me back to those old-school SEGA games. Such a simplistic yet fun action game. This game may feel a little outdated for its time, but nonetheless it's a really fun game with Yuji Naka's fingerprint all over it. And of course the best version is the Wii version.

10. Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. ; Despite its debatable aesthetic, Code Name: S.T.E.A.M. is one great SRPG. It provides a good challenge and the strategic gameplay is pretty deep. And it's charming in its own way.

terandle

1. Bloodborne ; Top notch mechanics and controls with an incredible sense of accomplishment through your own mastery of them.

Bishop89

bloodborne-screen-23-ps4-eu-11mar15

1. Bloodborne ; Was constantly switching Bloodborne and rocket league for the top spot, but by the end of it I have to give it to Bloodborne. Even though I LOVE rocket league and play it on a daily basis, I cant take away what From achieved with this title. The world design, Monster design, combat mechanics are the best that 2015 offered (From what I played). And even with my numerous attempts at failing to continue with Demons Souls, the combat in this was enough of a change to make it an enjoyable experience which I was happy to see the end.

22040739005_cdb6d75625_z.jpg

2. Rocket League ; Best MP of 2015. So addicting. Very simple mechanics which is great for pickup & play for casuals, but also there is something there for the hardcore which need something to master. It helps that I am pretty great at the game too otherwise i probably wouldn't have liked it as much. As mentioned above, I play this on a daily basis because it is just so god damn fun.

Wolfenstein-The-Old-Blood-announcement-trailer.jpg

3. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood ; I didnt even buy this last year, I bought it 4-5 days ago. I have bought New Order but have still yet to play it, decided to give this prequel a shot first and my oh my what a treat it was. After the sour taste of wolfenstein (2009?), I was worried about this franchise, but machine games have done an amazing job to bring this franchise back to life. The gameplay/combat mechanics are VERY tight and satisfying. The Story wasn't anything special but it was competent. And I LOVED the bonus nightmare levels (3d wolfenstein), just smiled every time I played them. Guns were great, loved having health packs instead of that bullshit health regen, weapon wheel was good, and I loved how numerous times throughout the campaign you had the option to stealth through it. Also, they did a great job on how it feels to control a mech.

Blops3.jpg

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops III ; This may have been higher, but I have not played the campaign yet and not sure when I will. This is at 4th spot however due to how great the multiplayer is. Cod has been on a steady decline since after mw2 and this is probably the closest it has gotten to that title. The maps are actually good, the variety of guns could have been better (3 pistols, 2 launchers, really?) but they at least feel different to each other than past cods. I like the specialists, adds another layer of strategy to the game and the controls are tight just like all cods are. Tried zombies but wasnt that much of a fan.

8fcf116a5fe89477f65f0a5d6b8e7f41fa907806.jpg__620x348_q85_crop_subject_location-1552,1231_upscale.jpg

5. Until Dawn ; I didnt actually play this one, I let my partner play it and it was such a great experience for both of us. Very surprising how a horror game like this is great when playing with someone else. The graphics were great, the atmosphere was amazing, the characters were very cool and fun, and choices actually having consequences is probably the best its ever been implemented. The twist was also fantastic.

OpenWorldWitcher610.jpg

6. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; The world building, graphics, music were all great. Reason this is so low is because the combat is pretty meh and I thought the story (main) and the majority of the characters sucked, outside of Geralt and Ciri. The inventory system sucked ass, I probably spent more time trying to manage it and removing/dropping shit so I dont fucking walk everywhere more than anything else! One final thing I will say however is that witcher 3 probably has THE BEST side missions in any game I have ever played.

saints-row-4FOUR.jpg

7. Saints Row IV ; Another title I bought just a few days ago. I really loved this game, just finished it earlier today. Are Saints Row games the best out there? No. But they are VERY fun and really really funny. Setting my characters voice to 'Nolan North' is enough to bring hysterics. The main missions were really fun and imaginative. So much parody and I love it.

darth_vader_Star_wars_Battlefront_EA.jpg

8. Star Wars Battlefront ; Im a huge star wars fan, so I obviously would love this game. The graphics are some of the best I have ever seen, the combat is pretty good and the music is eargasmic! I think this game definitely needed a class system though, to include other characters like droids etc.. There just isn't enough weapon variety in this game which the class system would have fixed imo.

unchartedcolbann_detail.jpg

9. Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection ; I played all 3 games when they launched. It was great to revisit these as this is one of my favourite franchises from last generation. The graphics are amazing, considering, and everything else remains intact. It is low on the list because it is just a collection and not a new game.

TheOrderWideStill-610.jpg

10. The Order: 1886 ; Despite its hatred on Gaf, I really enjoyed the game. The world was very interesting, the characters were great, even the combat/gunplay was fantastic.
The only downside imo was that this game featured some very mundane mechanics which plagued a lot of games from last gen, forcing the player to walk just so you can hear a npc talk to progress the story AND it took the player out of the action a lot with its cutscenes which there was quite a bit of. I can definitely see the potential if they fix a few things though, because I want to go back into that world. That cliffhanger ending though, they better...

Honorable Mentions
x. Transformers: Devastation ; I'm about half-way through this game. As per usual, platinum did an amazing job with the combat system. It's so fluid and robust and very fun to play with. Graphics are pretty cool, and I just love G1 transformers.
x. Dragon Quest Heroes ; I''m not THAT far into the game, but what I have played was pretty great. I'll be the first to say that I'm not the biggest dynasty warrior fan, but having the dragon quest IP (one of my favs) did a lot to make what I have played an enjoyable experience. The music, art/monster design is classic DQ, and having the RPG mechanics is enough to make this dynasty warrior clone fresh enough to not get boring.

Games I bought but have not started yet.
axiom verge
ff type 0
resident evil remake
titan souls
zombi u
mgs5
super time force

Games I've started but have barely progressed though.
batman arkham knight
shovel knight
yakuza 5
tropico 5

Updated my list to add "Life is Strange." My list is finally starting to feel like an actual legitimate Game of the Year list and not just a bunch of games shoe-horned just to make the magical number 10.

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; The biggest rpg ever!
2. Super Mario Maker ; Giant Bomb made me love it.
3. The Order: 1886 ; The internet did this game wrong. In the areas it's criticised for, it's no worse than many other blockbusters. But the characters and world were amazing, and it has the best visuals of anything ever. For me, this was the "next gen has arrived" moment. Had a really good time platinuming it, would totally be on board for a sequel.
4. SteinsGate ; Very cool story, enjoyed it on Vita. Sent me into an unhealthy period of buying Lawson karaage.
5. Cradle ; Amazing story and concept, hope it makes it to other platforms.
6. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Another good next-gen moment.
7. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; This was the first time I've ever finished this game, this remake was really good, really atmospheric and nice looking.
8. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Loved playing through this with my girlfriend, really charming.
9. Axiom Verge ; Controid!
10. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel ; The Suikoden game Konami won't give us.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
01gouzf.png

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; This is it. The very definition of a modern classic. There have been plenty of people telling you why this game is so wonderfull and I have honestly nothing to add, expect that they're all right. It's not a perfect game, but Great Scott is it impressive. So much love, detail and passion pouring through every pixel. A stunning achievement. Perfection be damned.

02tsuri.png

2. Ori and the Blind Forest ; From the stuningly beautiful presentation to the smooth platforming and incredible pacing, Moon Studios first project is near perfect. One of the best of it's genre. Prepare to cry.

03ogu2m.png

3. Tembo The Badass Elephant ; The most fun i've had with a platformer in a long time, until Ori came along that is. Smashing tanks and making peanutbutter never felt so good.

04jeu6f.png

4. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker ; An incredible and joyfull puzzle game. But fuck Mummy-Maze Forever. Ragequits are very rare for me, but when I died with over 5000 points on level 48, I broke. The rest of the game is a pure delight, though.

05jcutw.png

5. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate ; I can't believe i'm putting an Assassin's Creed game in my top five. I'm having a blast with this game. Evie is a great character and Victorian London looks incredible. The game features a delightfull atmosphere and a whole lot of detail, especially in the audio department. Wonderful soundtrack.

l8oEwpm.png

x Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair ; Though modest in appearance, EDF games are always a blast to pick up and play. This is an enhanced port of EDF 2025 offering some new content and tweaks in addition to somewhat better performance. 4.1 runs better than 2025 but still nowhere near as smoothly as advertised, especially when massive environmental destruction gets involved. Part of me isn’t complaining, though—the occasional slowdown and frame drops from crazy scenarios overwhelming the hardware often makes those moments feel more intense. Several distinct classes are available in 4.1 along with a huge array of weapons, enemies, missions, and difficulties, while the satisfying mix of visual and tactile feedback is just as great as ever. Those not turned away by rough edges and a repetitive structure may be pleasantly surprised with this chaotic, challenging arcade-style shooter. December was a good month for mayhem along with Just Cause 3, but EDF 4.1’s elaborate character, weapon, and enemy variety trounce anything JC3’s samey liberations have to offer.

zr8yFrS.png

x. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Ori's a heartfelt Metroidvania-lite with incredible sound design, beautiful visuals, and a great difficulty curve. Presented like a whimsical fairy tale, this is an excellent platformer that steadily ramps up the action as its story unfolds. Many upgrades feel substantial, and the game is flexible enough to support different kinds of runs. Being able to create your own save points is also incredibly smart. Unfortunately, achievements to keep track of special playthroughs (among other things) appear bugged at the moment, and there are also several missables—proceed with caution when tackling specific challenges! Hopefully these rough spots get smoothed out by the time Ori’s Definitive Edition rolls around, but, even as it is now, you could do far worse. While its map may funnel you a bit more than other titles with similar item-gated structures, Ori remains exciting. I’d rather play this than Yoshi’s Woolly World or Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, I’ll tell you that much.

fdAkG2Y.png

x. SOMA ; Highlighted by its thought-provoking story about humanity and existence, SOMA is more about getting into your head than thrilling with cheap scares. Similar themes have been handled in other titles (with Digital Devil Saga being one of my previous favorites), but a razor-sharp focus, isolating atmosphere, and careful presentation place SOMA near the top for me. Unfortunately, it’s kind of underwhelming as an actual game. SOMA’s prowling enemies are more annoying than frightening, as level designs and mechanics aren’t particularly conducive to hiding from danger, and a handful of confusing areas don’t exactly help with the pacing, either. Still, I feel like it succeeds by threatening players on a more personal level, delving into subject matter that should be intrinsically unsettling to everyone—you’re thrust into an unfathomable situation where everything’s gone completely and utterly wrong, and nothing can bring it back. SOMA’s story stuck with me long after its credits rolled, so give this a go if you've ever wondered about the nature of life and can suspend a little disbelief.

I'm pretty sure you can only have two honorable mentions.

TheAssist

1. Witcher 3 ; Its the best realization of an open world to date. CDP Red realized how to design quests within an open area and how to make exploration meaningful. I didnt even have to rely on heavy fast travel use, despite this enormously big world. They also realized that you dont have to clutter your world with meaningless bs every 5 meters. The fact that you can customize your hud in a way that it only shows the most essential things is also a blessing. It eliminated one of my biggest gripes with most open world games. The fact that it feels like you are a rat running from map marker to map marker to get a reward. I finally felt free again. Just going were I want to without checking my minimap every few seconds.
The short stories the game tells are hands down amazing at times. I mean seriously, some of the bigger sidequest have enough interesting concepts to make their own game out of it.
I even liked the combat.
Its simply one of the best games I have ever played and its also the longest I have ever played a single player game. Plus, the DLC. Man. The DLC you guys!

2. Undertale ; It made me feel things. Different things. And a lot of them as well! Undertale is one of the reasons I love videogames. I went in not expecting anything. Then I got intrigued. Then interested. Then invested. And then I couldnt stop thinking about it. The characters, the music, the world. It became all stuck in my head. I had the urge to tell people about this game. I wanted to see other peoples reaction to it. It became a small phenomenon for me. Stuff like that doesnt happen often, but when it does, its a game changer.
Its also one of the most creative and refreshing games I have played in a long while. The way it brakes the fourth wall and recognizes the player is brilliant. And there is so much funny things to discover. It feels like pure love went into the project.
I almost feel bad putting it second place, its actually more like a tie between the two.

3. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; Its the most fun I ever had actually playing a Metal Gear game. The fact that you can really do any mission how ever you want to do it felt so fresh. And it is one of the only games that make me want to try new things. I usually find something that suits me and stick with it.
The game just felt great. Better than any other game this year.
The Story kept me going, it had some interesting aspects and I even liked the ending. But I can see that its not a "real" Metal Gear story. If the story was better it would have easily been the best MGS and maybe I would have put it even before The Witcher 3, but as of now its a fantastic game with an ok story.
Fuck Mission 42.

4. Rocket League ; Its fun. I still play it. I think I'll play some Rocket League after this.

5. Life is Strange ; Fantastic Atmosphere! Its the best "I walk around and look at all the stuff" simulator I have played so far. The art design is superb and the use of music was striking. LiS was a great change of pace between playing as a Witcher, and a super soldier and a rocket propelled car. Just being that normal teenager going to college. Except time powers. LiS confronted me with some really interesting and sometimes heavy dilemmas. You could argue that the game just kinda went through all of those not lingering at any one of them for very long and actually exploring it. I guess that was up to the player. But I felt the game still gave you enough context to really make you stop for a few minutes and think about what just happened. Its a good step forward and something to build from.
Episode 5 was a little bit of a bummer, for me mainly because it abounded the great atmosphere it set up in favor a big scary tornado. In the future I actually kinda hope we can drop the whole supernatural thing (which is only used a a cliff hanger in the first 4 episodes anyway) and go full on personal drama. Life is Strange enough without time travel.
Also, please, I know its hard to do and costs time and money. But lip sync is soooooo important if your game relies on you talking to people all the time.

I only have these 5 games, because some of them I played over 100 hours. An honorable mention goes to Battlefield 4. I picked it up this year and I gotta say its actually a really good game. Maps are still leaving things to be desired (the "new" BF2 Dragon Valley map showed that more than anything) but they fixed so many small issues that just kept pilling on over the past iterations that it now feels like a game worthy of its title. I really hope they up their game in terms of map design in the next game.
Its been a fantastic year. I've been a happy gamer.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
1. Xenoblade X ; Sure, it's not a patch on the original, but this is one of the few open-world games where exploration for explorations sake is rewarding. The world of Mira is beautiful and the real star of the show. A technical masterpiece for the Wii U, looks and sounds great. Just wish that the systems were much better explained, the quests were less grindy, the affinity mission requirements were scrapped.

2. Super Mario Maker ; Haven't put time into editing my own levels, but just playing some of what other people created is enough to earn this game a spot on the list. The ? mushrooms are my favorite, playing as Foreman Spike had me flip out!

3. Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX ; Love me some vocaloids, and it was great we finally got this game in the US. The chibi characters are adorable, graphics are absolutely stunning for the platform they're on, track selection is diverse and expansive (something like 55 songs), and it seems a bit easier than its big sister series. I like how you can either tap or use the buttons, both ways work well and are give the game even more replay value. Just got one song on Hard difficulty to go and I'm done.

4. Axiom Verge ; At first, it seemed like a Metroid clone where I'd be going through the motions, but the game subverted my expectation at every step. The world is large and sprawling, and there were some really obscure, hidden secrets. It also didn't hand-hold... while this meant I was lost at certain points in the game, it was one of the few games nowadays that have that air of mystery that I loved about obtuse NES titles. Only complaints were that the boss fights were bland (repetitive pattern + bullet sponge) and that some of the areas could have differentiated themselves graphically a bit more. Excellent game for being developed by one person.

5. Metal Gear Solid 5 ; The actual stealth gameplay is brilliant and a high-point of the series, controls are smooth and responsive, the amount of options you have at your disposal is incredible. But everything else around it is a total disappointment. Mobile 'toilet gaming' hooks thrown in like waiting for weapons to be built, the FOB insurance fuckery. The bland open world that was seemingly only thrown in because westerners have a hard-on for open world. And the story that lacked any of the punch of the other MGS games
though the mission where you were killing the quarantined soldiers was great
. Obligatory "fuck Konami" comment here.

6. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; Gorgeous claymation graphics, beautiful, mellow music, and some actual challenge! Makes great use of the Wii U gamepad, by being a followup to Kirby's Canvas Curse, probably the first game that showed off the DS's abilities.

I didn't get to play Undertale, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Trails in the Sky SC or Trails of Cold Steel yet, I have a feeling these would be on here.

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Simply one of the best games ever, I can surely find several flaws in it but it's such a blast to play and try different things.
2. Fallout 4 ;
3. Until Dawn ;
4. Grim Fandango Remastered ; I'm very thankful that they remaster these old adventures as I never got to play them.
5. One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3 ; My first Musou game and it's not only great because I love One Piece.
6. Soma ;
7. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture ;
8. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter ;
9. The Order: 1886 ;
10. Beyond Eyes ; I'm not very far in the game yet and currently I mostly want to acknowledge the cute idea of playing as a blind girl trying to find her cat.

Honorable Mentions
x. Star Wars Battlefront ; I like it (paid half of the normal price for it though) and it's easy to start up and play some rounds, but I had to many games for my top10.
x. Journey ; Played this already on PS3.
x. Nom Nom Galaxy ; For some reason I wanted it but have barely played it.
x. Rocket League ; Did not grab me but it's still fun.
x. Yakuza 5 ; Haven't played it yet because it's a filthy PS3 game.
x. Metal Slug 3 ; Didn't want to put another ancient port up there.
x. Grow Home ; I can see the interesting new gameplay mechanic which also felt very janky to me.
x. PlanetSide 2 ;
x. Ether One ; It's not in the spreadsheet but the PS4 version was released 2015.

Labolas

Welp, I haven't played that many games so my list is small.

bloodborne-screen-23-ps4-eu-11mar15

1. Bloodborne ; A game that has Lovecraftian horror and with a faster combat of previous Souls and you have me sold. Not enough good things can be said about the game and combine the fact the dlc has made the game more complete. I can't think of a game that can top it this year.

transformers-devastation-leaked-made-by-platinum-games-1117051.jpg

2. Transformers: Devastation ; Well, you know a GOTY list isn't complete without a Platinum game. When I first heard of this game, I thought it was going to be another Legend of Korra thanks to Activision not giving the game enough development time. But, damn I was glad that I was wrong. Between me going back and playing this game and watching combo videos, I can say this is the action game of the year for me.

20129160322_d730ae013d_z.jpg

3. Rocket League ; You know, if you were to ask me if there was any game that brought me into an online multiplayer game, it would be Rocket League. Given the fact that it was for free and it has some of the best online matches I've ever experienced. I'm glad a game like this exists.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
1. Destiny Taken King; game I played the most all year
2. The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt; nuff said
3. Fallout 4; not as good as skyrim but still great
4. Dying Light; zombies done right
5. Tales from the Borderlands; best telltale game since wds1
6. Halo 5 Guardians; fps fun
7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate; after unity great to see a good game
8. Star Wars Battlefront; Dem graphics
9. Mad Max; don't get the hate on this one enjoyed it so much
10. Earth Defense Force 4.1; surprise for me