• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blurry15

Claimed for editing later

1. Dead or Alive 5 Last Round (Story mode)
About 3-5 hours (approximately)
The gameplay is very fun. Every hit just feels good when it hits. The story itself was just silly and felt like a Pokemon game in that whenever 2 characters from the roster meet up you can tell a pointless fight will happen which made me laugh more than once. Over all good game!

I'm going to take this on and also use it as a writing exercise, reviewing everything I complete on a blog. The first game, Grow Home, is in the bag. Feedback is appreciated. :)

Spoilers: I liked it.

http://theguyinabearsuit.tumblr.com/

The list so far:
1. Grow Home (PS4) - Completed 1/4
2. Teslagrad (PS Vita) - Completed 1/6
3. Amplitude (PS4) - Completed 1/8
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider (X1) - Completed 1/14
5. Kid Icarus: Uprising - Completed 1/15
6. Gone Home (PS4) - Completed 1/16
7. SteamWorld Dig (PS Vita) - Completed 1/20
8. 999: Nine Persons, Nine Hours, Nine Doors (DS) - Completed 1/28
9. The Witness (PS4) - Completed 2/3
10. Gravity Rush Remastered - Completed 2/15
11. LittleBigPlanet PS Vita - Completed 2/23
12. Firewatch (PS4) - Completed 3/1
13. Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright (3DS) - Completed 3/10
14. Mirror's Edge (PS3) - Completed 3/18
15. Oxenfree (X1) - Completed 3/20
16. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4) - Completed 4/4
17. Ratchet & Clank (PS4) - Completed 4/17
18. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - Completed 4/25
19. LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (PS Vita) - Completed 4/28
20. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End - Completed 5/12
21. Doom (X1) - Completed 5/24
22. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (X1) - Completed 6/22
23. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - Completed 6/29
24. Dishonored: Definitive Edition (PS4) - Completed 7/1
25. Inside (X1) - Completed 7/1
26. Kirby: Planet Robobot - Completed 7/6
27. Headlander (PS4) - Completed 8/3
28. Abzu (PS4 - Completed 8/4)
29. Grow Up (PS4 - Completed 8/28)

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Reserved for a master list, while other posts may have more info or thoughts on the games.

2015 I took part in this challenge to figure out how I play, what I would consider to be "complete", and other thoughts. This year, I'll just play and see if I can get it there without putting much thought into if I beat any games, and more just to see what kind of time pattern I have for beating games.

header.jpg

Game #1 Knightmare Tower on Steam. All achievements and in-game missions completed. 5-Jan-2016
Thoughts here

header.jpg

Game #2 The Old Tree. Saw the ending. 6-Jan-2015
Thoughts here

Smilax

Game 1 Complete!
CDLfqTa.jpg

For a game I have previously owned (on Wii U) and beaten, playing it on Steam all over again was alright. I immediately stepped into World Tour and collected all the stars to unlock the majority of characters and stages, and after that I finished it up with the 10 Grand Prixs. I have to say I had fun, but I wouldn't recommend someone buying it unless its on sale. Back in its hey day, it was full of people racing online, or doing online lobbies but now its just dead. No one plays online anymore it seems, but the single player can hold this game on its own. Full of stuff to do and things to collect you won't be bored of it quick.

If you own the game, I say play it, its worth the time to mess around with it and enjoy the fan service of your favorite SEGA characters. If you don't own the game, wait till its on sale, because its mostly now just a single player game.

Since i'm on a Sonic mood, my next game will be...

sonic_zps89d71b81.jpg

Another game I have previously beaten, but not on PC, I can wait to see how I think about it now.

Original Post

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Don't mind me I'll just be claiming this here post even though I'm sooo not doin' the challenge >.>

• Game #01
- The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel
• System: PS3
• 12/22/15 to 01/05/16
• 67:43:11
Really didn't know much going into this other then it being a traditional turn-based rpg but I came outta it pretty hooked! I may have disliked the start but the fun and simple battle system kept me goin' all the way! An what a long way it was. Only rpg I've played which took longer was DQVIII. The school setting didn't suck which got helped by the fact that ya weren't in it all that much. Battlings fast & fun an is helped by being able ta skip almost all animations. An while not as deep I liked the materia-esque system they had going for magic an stat boosts. Lotsa good characters, story, an wowzers final battles! I'm so in for the sequel!

• Game #02
- Atelier Rorona Plus ~The Alchemist of Arland~
• 01/05/16 to 01/10/16
• 18:39:27
I thought I was doing well enough to get at least a Normal ending but in the end I got the Bad one! Some tasks I barely scraped by completing but a buncha others I hit the full 3-stars rank so after the 12th task was completed I was shocked & disappointed the game ended x.x; Had fun playing but sheesh, did not see that coming! Having finally seen (some?) of Rorona's story I still don't get why she's so popular. Neither her nor her supporting cast are all that great, plus I didn't feel any connection with a goal that was forced upon her so not really a great story all around. Good game anyway!

• Game #03
- Atelier Totori ~The Adventurer of Arland~
• 01/11/16 to 01/13/16
• 11:27:12
This was my third playthrough so I was using a faq an following it every step of the way! But the RNG fought back! Quests the faq suggest I should get weren't there and the same for materials, which caused me to take extra time in getting 'em. By the end of the second year I was so far behind that there was no way I'd hit the True ending this playthrough either so I focused on getting a character ending. I had hit all the important flags for Gino up to that point or so I'd thought... when the next due events didn't trigger I scrambled to level him up and raise his friendship but nothing worked. I was getting depressed from having failed so hard that I just slept the remaining days away and got the Bad ending -_-

• Game #04
- Atelier Meruru ~The Apprentice of Arland~
• 01/14/16 to 01/14/16
• 01:12:49
I was supposed ta be pumped to replay this for the first time but back to back failures led me to just getting past the intro then sleeping my way to the Bad ending. Weirdly it's an ending that I didn't even see listed in the faq which is an accomplishment on its own I think! I'll dub it the "Meruru: Arls Least Popular Person"! Yup if her popularity falls to zero she gets yelled at an forced to resign as an alchemist and then an appropriately sad ~Fin~ message & screen for you! It actually kinda cheered me up discovering that lol.

• Game #05
- Fate/Extra
• System: PSP
• 01/14/16 to 01/18/16
• 22:56:00
This one was long overdue for a second playthrough an boy did my grinding the first time around really pay off! NG+ lets ya keep your moneys, equips, and enemy info! All the work I put in the first time around really worked cause it made normal baddies a joke so I could breeze through the game! Since I picked Saber the first time I went with Archer on this run an he turned out to be a pretty cool dude after awhile. I had forgotten much of the story so I'd forgotten how dark & weird it'd get at times. Oh an I even beat the secret boss so woohoo! Cool game!

• Game #06
- Glory of Heracles
• System: DS
• 01/19/16 to 01/24/16
• 21:35:43
Played on NG+ which had the effect of granting double money earned per battle and forcing me to skip the intro/tutorial! A solid rpg with lotsa neat things about it an some stuff which kinda sucks. I think its a pretty neat premise having your party members all be immortals cause it lets 'em take lots crazy situations in stride. Its also pretty great how like every character ya meet with a portrait is someone you'll see once or more again as the game goes on. No real "throwaway" npc characters here! Really liked bumping into random "dangerous" battles to. They're lengthy an not easy but reward ya with a crapload of exp! Speaking of exp ya know you're dealing with a weird system when gaining 100k or 200k+ exp in a battle yet none of your party members level up from it x.x; The downsides are that world map movement is soooo sloooowww and encounter rate is one of those every few steps things. The camera in towns really sucks to an makes me not wanna explore every nook & cranny. Battles can also take kinda long even with the speedup button held in but it mostly depends on the types & ammount of baddies ya end up with. Still had alot of fun with it in the end which is what counts!

• Game #07
- Shining Force
• System: Genesis (via PS3)
• 01/23/16 to 01/27/16
• 17:37:09
The Hero not getting a new weapon until the start of Chapter 4 sucks! There's not nearly enough music, especially for battles! There are some (but not many) battles which just plain stink! But ya know what? I still love this game! Have played it many many times over the years and by the end I'm always feeling good about despite the rough patches here an there! Love the crazy stat gains, whine over the crap ones, still have fun!

• Game #08
- Shining Force II
• System: Genesis (via PS3)
• 01/27/16 to 01/31/16
• 24:38:28
Bigger but not better is a pretty good way of putting it! Better art (save for weapon designs), better/more music, wayyyyy better controls & inventory management. Even though there are only 14 more battles then in the first game, a ton of 'em feel fillery an pointless. Boring stat growths make characters feel interchangeable. An none of 'em ever reach the "take a dozen hits & still left standing" like some did in the first game. Instead ya never really get ta feel super powered up or anything so your team feels weaker overall! Still its got alot more cool parts an characters going for it so I'd rank it equally alongside the original!

• Game #09
- Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
• System: GBA (via GB Player)
• 02/01/16 to 02/05/16
• 19:01:33
On top of adding many improvements the second game had (but not dodge animations because??) this remake of the original has a buncha new stuff to! New magic, baddies, battles, characters, story, etc. Plus ya may be thrown for a loop here & there as some battles feature somewhat different baddie lineups and formations! Also got a run button and non-grid movement outside of battles which're nice. Heck theres even a reason ta visit your headquaters after each battle since party members ya use will give you alil bit of their story or w/e if ya use 'em! Shame they didn't add new music cause that means you're stuck with the same limited soundtrack. Some of the new art an character redesigns aren't to hot but I think most are fine. A really good remake imo!

• Game #10
- Ys Seven
• 02/06/16 to 02/08/16
• 17:21:21
This games got some hype music! Pretty fun an easy gameplay (cause I played on easy!) with nice things like party members helping to collect items instead of being useless outside of battle! I liked most of the dungeons and overworld travelling but that wind sanctuary dungeon was waaaay longer then it needed ta be. Think it was even longer than the final dungeon! Using a guide I finished all but 1 of the quests cause I really didn't wanna grind items. Liked the story even though it was mostly a mystery until near the very end, and I liked most of the characters to!

• Game #11
- Earthbound
• System: SNES
• 02/08/16 to 02/12/16
• 18:47:52
Never timed myself playing this before so I'm shocked at it being sub-20 hours o_O! Game feels long with so many different places ta see an visit and dungeons to do. Guess cutting down on talking to random NPCs and still after all these years knowing where ta go an what ta do help kept things progressing at a good pace! Inventory management aside this is still a classic with many memorable characters, crazy battle backgrounds, and great music!

• Game #12
- Phantasy Star Online Ver.2
• System: Dreamcast
• 02/15/16 to 02/15/16
• 01:14:17
Just a quick Normal mode romp using my L144 character with a Cheese Needle! Not much to say on this one. It was fun enough but still not a game I'd wanna seriously return to.

• Game #13
- Project X Zone 2
• System: 3DS
• 02/17/16 to 03/01/16
• 52:14:08
Alot more fleshed out & refined over the first PXZ an still just as fun! Having to put some thought into how to move around the stages an thrash baddies wasn't so bad! The soundtrack was once again great and sound effects satisfying. Like in the previous one things did drag here & there storywise but the improved stage design an drastically fewer baddie reinforcement floods helped keep the gameplay movin' at least. Kinda wanna start on a NG+ run right now... but it must wait!

• Game #14
- Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
• 02/27/16 to 03/04/16
• 17:52:00
Decided to do a replay of this starting on the series 20th birthday and mostly good times were had! I did most of the quests which opened before the post-game so this was no rushed playthrough! My only main complaints are there being no way to blaze through dialogue or skip scenes after game over'ing. That and horde battles usually sucked. Otherwise spinning the ol' stylus around ta "catch" pokémon is still a pretty fun battle system! The sound effects stuck out as being especially catchy to me for whatever reason, they just really fit the game! Pokémon selection leaned heavily towards the then new D/P ones which was nice for me as someone who didn't play those an thus made things feel fresher!

• Game #15
- Lunar Legend
• 03/05/16 to 03/07/16
• 12:17:33
This could be the worst version of the original Lunar game but its still darn fun! Buncha changes mostly early on get things moving quicker and battles are pretty speedy to. Naturally I abused the heck outta the save/load trick to fully restore hp/mp to make random battles even less of a slog! The slow transistion in an outta buildings/rooms sucks and pauses the music which also sucks! Story an characters are still great even though the dialogue is really badly written/translated x.x;

• Game #16
- Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
• 03/07/16 to 03/14/16
• 21:33:40
Oh gawd battle position suddenly matters! Oh no, virtually every on-screen monster is without a doubt completely unavoidable! And holy crap is there a ton of stuff between the first & second dragons! Why can't I go back to the GBA version?! This is slow slow slow the game. I dun much care for the art nor often confusing 3/4 perspective camera. Wait what do I even like in this version? Well its still Lunar so the music is great, and story and characters. The super move meter going up from more then just regular normal attacks is very nice! Like the prologue prequelly stuff to!

• Game #17
- Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
• System: PS1 (via PS3)
• 03/15/16 to 03/20/16
• 24:56:52
Still outshines the other versions of the game! Had a great time replaying this an outside of one specific boss, things were hard but fair! There's like no lag between entering & leaving most places, a good amount of baddies can be avoided, and the voice actings the best! Inventory managements abit clunky an they kinda went overboard with rumble but thats all forgiveable. No matter what this was a true classic!

• Game #18
- Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
• 03/21/16 to 03/29/16
• 36:07:00
Bigger & better! As much as I love the first Lunar, this one tops it all over the place! Hiro > Alex an you know it! The story is a whole lot more interesting, soundtrack even greater, an all that good stuff! None of the party members really feel useless (sorry Nash) an their evolving skills/spells freshen up you battle options. The inventory stuff is much better now that its for the whole party and things stack! Course the games not flawless. Cutscenes turning off your analog control is an annoying thing the first game didn't do, and dungeons sometimes are just to long for their own good. Like before, this is a real classic! Oh an there's a post-game! But that'll be saved for another day~

• Game #19
- .hack//Infection
• System: PS2 (via PS3)
• 03/29/16 to 03/30/16
• 02:59:05
After reading about an watching a speedrun of Infection I was inspired ta do a speedy run of it myself! Skipping cutscenes, mashing through dialogue, being under leveled and under equipped, having very little money an needing ta spend it wisely... it was all quite a rush! Wasn't without its failures since I got game over a few times and bad luck getting Virus Cores. Quite fun never the less!

• Game #20
- Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen
• 03/30/16 to 04/10/16
• 23:44:04
Still my least favorite of the DQ bunch but I like its simplicity and characters, even without party chat >_> Still love how the top screen gets used ta see further parts the cave/dungeon you're in cause it makes finding your way around and goodies easier. Battlings nice an simple an I found myself swapping my lineup around all throughout the final main chapter, got lotsa good use outta everyone!

• Game #21
- Final Fantasy VII
• 04/17/16 to 04/20/16
• 13:39:05
Here's to another speedy run of this game! Better then my last one by well over an hour! Even less grinding & free item grabbing then before! Had I planned ahead better an gotten my Restore materia high enough for Regen the last bit of grinding woulda not been needed -.-; The worst part was beating the Gaea's Cliff boss then dying to a freaking random dragon while trying ta exit the screen! The best was discovering I could skip the Shinra Mansion! Certainly a fun way ta play the game!

• Game #22
- Star Ocean: First Departure
• 04/20/16 to 04/23/16
• 18:09:06
This suffers from a ton of backtracking and realllllly slow overworld movement with no quick travel available. Using a guide got me through pretty quickly an helped alleviate some of the backtracking issues, along with some nice leveling & moneymaking tips ta further speed things along! I liked how the "healers" had strong offensive magic ta go with their curing stuff since it made the whole team viable for combat! Story left me confused on some things but was okay overall. Not a bad game but it feels like there shoulda been more to it?

• Game #23
- Maze Walker
• System: 3DS
• 04/27/16 to 04/27/16
• 00:03:50
As always beating the default hi-score can count as winning the game when it comes ta arcadey games like this! But ya I wanna play some more of this regardless cause it seems kinda fun. Gotta take it slowly an not rush to your death like I did at first!

• Game #24
- Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean
• System: Saturn
• 04/23/16 to 04/28/16
• 16:06:42
This game wasn't given the Working Designs "hard mode" treatment but their writing style is plenty apparent! Spicing up the dialogues about all they could do for such an average an at times boring rpg. I mean c'mon this game doesn't have counterattacks, element weaknesses, not even surprise/back attack encounters! The musics just kinda there for the most part with only a couple semi-memorable tracks. But wtf was up with all the sexual innuendo? The hero is at best 11 years old yet the games characters aren't shy about saucy dialogue. Plus he gets saddled with like the worst girlfriend archetypes ever... who's planning to carry on his lineage? Did WD botch the ages or something?

• Game #25
- Golden Sun
• 04/30/16 to 05/04/16
• 14:09:43
Golden Sun still rocks! Its speedy battles an snappy menus are just great! Not to mention the still nice graphics an special effects and awesome soundtrack! Stories still neat even if there isn't much to it or to your parties characterization. All the puzzley stuff revolving around psynergy or just plain pushing stuff arounds makes towns and dungeons more interesting than your average rpgs are. Plus the puzzles don't get insane... in this game! Did all the optional stuff save for the bonus dungeon yet achieved my quickest clear time yet according to my older save files which surprised me. Guess it's a smaller game than I remembered! Not bothering to grind prolly helped to.

• Game #26
- Evolution Worlds
• System: Gamecube
• 05/04/16 to 05/08/16
• 18:51:33
I'm okay with this game. Neither like nor dislike. It's not entirely unfun even though there are a fair amount of things negative about it. Games certainly easy cause not once was I ever in danger of getting game over or even having a single party member die in battle. Most regular fights usually end in 2 turns if not 1 which is good by me! They really gutted the first game though, down to just two dungeons and the final boss! The second game remained intact anyhow. The 30 item limit sucks an far far into the game you get two upgrades to it which only up the limit by 5 each -.-; By far the worst thing in here is getting thrown into cutscenes after finishing a dungeon. Even though I'd just saved before fighting a dungeon boss, the first thing after beating it I wanted ta do was save and quit but noooo gotta get drug into chatty scenes. Which stinks cause the story is super basic and theres no character develpment either (still like the characters though)! The dungeons themselves are... boring. They lack serious obstacles and puzles, but for as long as they go on for thats a good thing I gotta say. Better basic then even more drawn out!

• Game #27
- Phantasy Star Ø
• 05/09/16 to 05/09/16
• 01:06:47
Did a quick run through of all the story levels on Normal with my L80 character which meant a super easy time! Coulda been faster but I'm bad at guessing which route to take! Really like the music in this game an while it may have DS graphics the art style really helps out, stuffs pretty detailed an nice looking. Even feels like it has more decoration in the environments then good 'ol PSO! But boy does it have some of the worst or most annoying bosses in the series imo. Could be the rough controls not helping but I welcome the mini-bosses far more than the big ones! Still a cool game.

Games Beaten: 27 / 52
Total Playtime: 516:12:33
Second Half: 28 - ??

Original post

v0YHbpal.jpg

2. Tearaway Unfolded (PS4) - 6:50 (4:17 in 2015)
Story completed, 77% of all collectibles found.

It loses a little bit in the translation to the PS4, mainly due to the extended length over the original. On the other hand, it looks gorgeous, and many of the PS4-specific alterations were very well implemented. Things I'll never get tired of:

- using the lightbar to clean up newspaper bits in every level (seriously I need to let go of the R2 trigger)
- capturing a creature in the DualShock and then shaking the bejesus out of it
- being able to take magnificent screenshots thanks to the PS4-powered graphics
- capturing a creature in the DualShock and then shaking the bejesus out of it
- gophers, especially that one group of gophers (you'll know when you see them)
- did I mention shaking the bejesus out of creatures inside the controller?

There's one more thing I'll never get tired of: it might have some pacing issues, and in other ways it might feel too much like the game too few people played in 2014. But Tearaway Unfolded, like its predecessor, bursts at the seams with heart. It's a game you want to hug; more than that, it's a game that wants to hug you.

1. Valiant Hearts
10 Hours

This game was fun. I really liked the 2D style of graphics. The story was really good. That last part was tough though..

Game #01 - Infamous 2

95YLtNJ.jpg

I played these ones pretty out of order. I played the first game a looong time ago, and a few months back I burned through Second Son practically overnight. So I went back to get through this one, and honestly I had a blast for the most part. I actually played through using the Move controller, and I can't believe how much I loved that aspect. It kills me that Second Son wasn't compatible. Their control scheme was fantastic in all ways save for looking up and down quickly.

The only thing I would love to dig in and change is the goddamn one-hit-kill rockets that come out of nowhere. The worst aspect of the first game is here in strides again.

Some day I fully plan on playing through these games again on an Evil run.

Zero clue on my playtime. I started the game some time in October I think.

I just made 52 games beat by a day last year, my worst year in years. I should blow past 52 games this year. I am going to link some games to reviews I write in other forums, I try to do them for most every new game I beat.

Games Beaten:

Game 1: Her Story 4 hours
Review here

Game 2: Splatoon 7 hours
Review in progress. An excellent game.

Game 3: Mega Man 2 1 hour
Masterpiece, still the best in the series.

Game 4: Savant: Ascent 1 hour
Total piece of crap.

Game 5: Velocity 2X 3 hours
Great sequel to a great game, love the 2D side scrolling sections.

Claiming this post for later. Probably won't get there, but we'll see.

Game ideas:
Bastion
Valient Hearts
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D
Mighty Switch Force
New Super Mario Bros 2

Oreoleo

The List!
Detailed Impressions 01-12
Detailed Impressions 13-26
Detailed Impressions 27-xx

13. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater - 14 Hours
Tz1sxvn.jpg

And so begins my journey through the Metal Gear series! Having played the majority of them only once over the course of the past 15 years it seemed like a fun idea to run through them all in chronological order to see for myself how the story fits together. With Snake Eater being the fan favorite of the series, it's hard to view it with an objective eye. But I have to say, maybe I'm just shit at the game, but I find the gameplay remarkably uneven. Some of the mechanics involving soft or hard presses of the face buttons feel like an anachronism of a fortunately bygone era. Specifically, keeping an enemy in a hold without accidentally slicing his throat felt like an impossibility. The bigger offense , however, is that the camo index is entirely unintuitive for the jungle areas. What's the difference between 70 or 80 or 95% camouflage? It's impossible to tell whether an enemy will actually see you or not until it's too late. And after being spotted in a patch of grass, there's really nothing to be done at that point except shoot it out or run away, neither of which is satisfying in a game that enforces stealth like this one does. Being aware of the Sorrow encounter, shooting my way out of situations was a non-starter in my mind. So that left me with alternatively scrambling for a crawl space to hide under, and subsequently twiddling my thumbs for upwards of 90 seconds until the alert dissipated (leading me to reach for my smart phone to browse GAF until it did) or run out in the open and let the enemies shoot me down so I could start back at the most recent checkpoint, which ALSO takes longer than it should. Snake is built like a tank and can take dozens of bullets before going down, so if one were so inclined you could probably sprint through a majority of the game with little worry. Simply put, this feels like a failure of game and/or level design. Oh how I longed for a simple "Restart Checkpoint" option to save myself equal parts time and frustration! Fortunately, this became less and less of a problem as the game went on and removed itself from forest scenery. Sneaking around the Shagohod base was the highlight of the game and I had little trouble maintaining stealth there in spite of the increased enemy count. In contrast to the uneven gameplay, the story throughout is a delight. Starting from the excellent title sequence and theme song, I loved how the game was styled as a classic James Bond movie. Eva as the Bond girl, Boss as the personal antagonist, all framed against a US vs Russia political intrigue backdrop. The balance of the narrative breaks in between sections of gameplay is nothing short of masterful, never getting bogged down in verbosity or delusions of grandeur like MGS4 so frequently does. It's a testament to the story and the 2nd half of the game that by the climax my frustrations in the early game felt like a distant memory. Still, those frustrations exist and while Snake Eater is unequivocally an excellent game, it is not the flawless masterpiece that I remembered it as.

14. INK - 1.7 Hours
LIyaWwZ.jpg

Essentially an N+ clone with a Splatoon twist. Each level starts completely invisible, but making contact with a surface splatters paint on it, revealing the path to the goal bit by bit. This twist on what would otherwise be well-trodden mechanics gives INK a slight puzzle game bend, focusing less on hair-pulling difficulty than its influences do. It's still challenging of course, but it never crosses the line into frustration like so many others in the genre. The perfect bundle fodder game, just the right amount of short and good.

15. Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - 11 Hours
xk0QFnI.jpg

It's interesting how much this feels like budget MGS. The small self-contained levels lead to missions beaten in 5 or 10 minutes going stealth, or just a minute or two if you blast your way through. Level design is very basic and geometric. The story seems kinda like fan-service; Metal Gear, check. Government conspiracy, check. Reference to previous MGS games to hook fans, check. The canonical status of this game is up for debate and I understand why. The gameplay is basic MGS, more reminiscent of MGS1 & 2 than 3. And while the simplicity is charming in a way, everything else in the story and presentation is done better elsewhere, making recommending this to anyone besides the most die-hard Metal Gear fans a tough sell.

16. Far Cry Primal - 14.5 Hours
e6CdjQt.jpg

A change in setting that puts away the guns in favor of clubs and arrows and ferocious animal sidekicks. It's enough to breath a little life into FarCry's tried and true formula, there are moments that happen while in between outposts with different animal, enemy and a friendly AI interacting with each other that makes the world feel like its own living thing that you're only a small part of, but those moments are merely facades quickly seen through with a more cursory look. Everything presented here is so mechanically shallow it feels more like a concept or demo unnecessarily stretched to fill an entire games' amount of content, rather than a tight and refined experience like Blood Dragon was. The lack of depth in narrative, character customization, combat, side quests and animal taming and commanding results in an initially entertaining game that quickly becomes only superficially different from its predecessors and struggles to support the scope of an entire game.

17. XCOM: Enemy Within - 40 Hours
xsFViJu.jpg

I was pleased to see how this expansion to Enemy Unknown simply made the whole game bigger without making it feel different. More maps, more missions, more enemies, entirely new classes and ways to customize your soldiers, new weapons, new currencies. Enemy Within adds so much to the game and does so seamlessly, feeling neither tacked on nor beyond the vision of the original Enemy Unknown. While there may be some issues with the pacing or the presentation, the focus, as always is the gameplay and XCOM's best-in-genre turn-based combat is made only better here. Coupled with a wide array of gameplay and difficulty toggles means everyone can get exactly the experience that suits them.

18. Tom Clancy's The Division - 31 Hours
5MmrJKK.jpg

I'll get the positives out of the way by saying the core gameplay is really, really good! Shooting, running, going in and out of cover, using special abilities etc etc all feel satisfying. Hovering in some middle ground between Gears of War and Borderlands, this is a third person shooter with a good foundation and above average mechanics. However the house they built up around it is a complete disappointment. The short version is: it's just another run of the mill Ubisoft game, this time with co-op. A large map overflowing with icons to run towards, outposts to capture, doodads to collect, bars to fill, loot with arbitrary colors to equip. All busywork hiding how mediocre and shallow The Division really is. Uninteresting AI and engagements means the excellent TPS mechanics are rarely put to good use. The gating of progression means leveling feels less like I'm becoming stronger, and more like I'm struggling to keep up with the pace of the enemies' strength. The guns are boring, too; damage numbers getting bigger doesn't make a difference if I'm still killing enemies the same way I was before. The setting of the game draws comparisons to The Last of Us but the narrative more closely channels Crackdown. Characters, locations, motivations, all completely forgettable. The UI is obtrusive. The list goes on. But the bottom line is the game lacks any heart or soul in its overall design and fails to provide any real entertainment, getting by on above average player control and little else. Play with friends or not at all.

19. Never Alone (Kisima Ingitchuna) - 4.75 Hours
PPddqrJ.jpg

Never Alone, a relatively simple side-scrolling platformer, is also a fable or fairy tale, and a documentary, as much as it is a video game. The setting, themes, and characters are all pulled from the stories of indigenous Alaskan Inuits. The whole package is culturally rich and vibrant, including short live-action passages about the different inspirations and legends incorporated into the game, as told by the Alaskan natives themselves. These short videos are interesting and entertaining in their own right, which is a blessing because the actual gameplay is a bit of a mixed bag. At a basic level, the game reminds me of Donkey Kong Country 2. You have two playable characters, each with different abilities, that can be switched between on a whim. One can push and pull and carry objects, along with use a weapon to break apart ice or other debris blocking your path. The other can run up walls, jump higher, swim faster, and learns one or two more invaluable techniques in the second half of the game. The abilities and differences feel more organic than a pony-tailed chimpanzee that can float through the air, and the game does a good job of offering up situations where both characters have to leverage their different abilities to proceed forward. Animations look great and bring the characters to life where otherwise they might come across as shallow. My biggest complaint is probably the controls. Mario or Sonic this ain't. There seems to be some input lag that makes the characters feel a little hefty, and while I wouldn't describe the game as "floaty," there was one point where I found myself comparing the game to Little Big Planet in how it controlled. There's nothing demanding or exact enough in the game where the controls are ever a problem, but making things snappier would have dulled some of the tedium that started to show through the game's simplicity towards the end. The 'Foxtales' DLC cleverly sidesteps these problems by making most of the puzzles underwater, eliminating platforming almost entirely. The new take on the gameplay in the DLC was actually very refreshing, feeling more inspired than a majority of the main campaign and a welcome addition to the whole package. Overall, Never Alone proves to be a unique and enjoyable experience, albeit not a perfect one.

20. NOT A HERO - 4.5 Hours
vO9JmwM.jpg

This indie side-scroller has you traversing all manner of large multi-floor urban buildings with a singular purpose: taking a bite out of crime. You play the hired hand of a giant rabbit running for political office and spend 21 levels blowing up and killing gangs, crime lords, weed growing operations and everything in between to boost the rabbit's favorability rating. The game is fast-paced and mechanically simple, taking inspiration from Hotline Miami. Death is aplenty here, with the game having a large focus on trial-and-error, instant-restart gameplay. The main problem with NOT A HERO arises from an over-reliance on memorizing levels and enemy placement. You see, when reloading, you are forced to cease all movement and leave yourself wide open, often times leading to a sword-carrying enemy closing in and instantly killing you. Not being able to move while reloading feels artificially limiting and leads to playing overly cautious, never sure when you might get unfairly caught with your pants down. Where Hotline Miami rewards improvisation, NOT A HERO almost condemns it, particularly in the later levels where the amount, combination, and speed of enemies will require an almost predetermined plan of attack. This isn't inherently a bad thing, but to me it feels restrictive. Difficulty is kind of all over the place. The game spends the first third of its length being disappointingly easy and the last third being the wrong kind of difficult, and the difference is staggering. There's something for everyone here and conversely, something for everyone to find too hard or too easy. The game incorporates an entirely optional challenge system for each level with 3 sub-goals to complete. Some are easy, some are brutally difficult. What I don't understand is why they couldn't have kept all the really difficult bits gated behind the optional challenges, rather than making the final levels themselves innately frustratingly difficult. I enjoy hard, challenging games, but NOT A HERO's final stretch felt too cheap to be rewarding and leaves a bitter aftertaste on what is otherwise a competent and fun game.

21. SquareCells - 9 Hours
NdfqKVH.jpg

From the mastermind behind the Hexcells series comes that series' cousin/half-brother SquareCells. The ruleset is almost entirely the same, with the only obvious difference being the switch from a hex grid to a square one. SquareCells is more of a lateral move rather than being notably better or inferior to its predecessors. The experience overall feels more well-rounded, offering a more masterful learning curve than any of the Hexcells games do, and while the difficulty tops out *just* below what Hexcells ultimately achieves (not necessarily a bad thing, mind), it benefits from puzzles that feel less myopic. In Hexcells you frequently find yourself stuck on a single portion of a puzzle, unable to solve the rest until you work your way across the board in a (mostly) linear fashion. Conversely, SquareCells puzzles have you looking at the grid in totality, where solving one section of the puzzle can more frequently effect the possible solutions on the other side of the grid. This ultimately makes the puzzle solving feel more organic and less like you are hunting for The One True Solution as in Hexcells. The game engrossed me completely just like Hexcells did when I first discovered it, and I would highly, highly recommend it to any fans of logic-based puzzles.

22. Dark Souls 3 - 78 Hours
4IAKdsQ.jpg

At long last, Dark Souls 1 receives the sequel it deserves. Every inch of this game is so refined, so carefully constructed it manages to outshine the original. No Lost Izalith's or Beds of Chaos to be found here. Dark Souls 3 manages to recapture the sense of wonder and discovery that made the series so infectious, and enriches the lore and player experience by directly referencing and expanding upon known characters and locations instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water and reinventing the wheel the way Dark Souls 2 did. My list of complaints is short: Continually branching pathways made the end game feel less focused. I would have preferred the game be more front-loaded with different paths, and then funnel down to the critical path as you near the end instead of the other way around. I guess it's the way Dark Souls has always done it, but the final 25% of the game felt very scatterbrained, yet still impeccably designed. Secondly, the grinding required for the covenants is absurd. Your total invasions will have to number in the multiple hundreds to collect every spell and ring the game has to offer, which is far more than should be expected of any normal player. It discourages end game play for me, knowing how distant those rewards are. Those are relatively minor quibbles though for what is otherwise the most fully-realized Souls game to date and an instant classic.

23. OlliOlli2: Welcome to Olliwood - 3 Hours
7SxT08H.jpg

What a pleasant surprise this was. Combines the arcade stylings of Tony Hawk without sacrificing the technical leanings of the SKATE series and put into a side-scrolling Trials-like package. No checkpoints, no timers, each level has to be completed in one go without bailing. Every level has 5 goals just like Tony Hawk but those are only necessary to unlock the "pro" version of the level; you can still progress just by reaching the end of the previous level. I appreciate that the game tackled the difficulty in this way. I was able to enjoy myself and get 90% of the way through the "amateur" levels just by button mashing, mostly. The last few require more precise timing with landings and grinding to maintain speed, which was fine, but the pro levels delve deep into requiring specific trick combos and very granular knowledge of levels and mechanics. That wasn't really for me, but it's great that it's there, and it's even better that I could get what I feel was a complete experience without having to jump into that specific deep end of the game play. Score-chasing abounds, and the instant restarts are a very welcome facilitator of that. A great time for anyone looking for a pick-up-and-play arcade style game, and might even be the next great skateboarding game that no one seems to talk about.

24. Valkyria Chronicles - 42 Hours
nNnmdnG.jpg

Though it predates it by four years, I find Valkyria Chronicles most easily compared to XCOM. Essentially they are both squad-based, turn-based, strategy games. But the approach to story is notably different between the two. Where XCOM is largely hands-off, letting the larger story of alien invasion unfold organically, Valkyria Chronicles tells a very inflated story about war and the individual squad you command. So much time is spent fleshing out characters and events through narrative that the strategy portion of the game starts to feel secondary in importance to the overall experience. Which is fine, since literally all of the dialog is fully voiced, lending heavily to the game's presentation, and considering the game's strategy and combat elements are rather robust and the difficulty curve spot on. I never once felt like I was being inundated or overwhelmed with different mechanics or complex scenarios, and conversely never felt like the game was going 'too easy' on me. Indeed, if it weren't for the pacing of the game, I'd be happy with twice as many levels to play. Unfortunately for all Valkyria Chronicles accomplishments, it all seems to go by at a snail's pace. Some streamlining of the combat, specifically in regards to how enemy turns and player movement is handled, and a reduction in the micromanagement of buying and equipping upgrades could have easily shaved 5-10 hours off the total play time without sacrificing content and made for an overall more enjoyable experience. It's still a very good game at the end of the day, but the poor pacing is enough of an issue for me to stop short of saying it's great, and puts me off wanting to revisit the game in the future.

25. Resident Evil Revelations 2 - 18.75 Hours
4Thjzht.jpg

Taking the most inspiration from RE5, Revelations 2 adds a few wrinkles to the modern Resident Evil formula, feeling familiar without overtly rehashing previous titles in the franchise. The structure and episodic nature of the plot is a natural evolution of the intertwining narratives presented in RE2 and RE6 and suits the game wonderfully. Combat manages to strike a fair balance by being action-oriented but severely resource limited (at least on higher difficulty). Enemy counts are overall lower than the last few main installments of the franchise, and yet I found it more common to be counting bullets by the single digits than having a healthy reserve of supplies, leading to every encounter being important, every shot making a difference. When all's said and done it's obviously not a main entry in the franchise, ultimately coming across as a bit of a "side story" instead of something integral to the Resident Evil universe. But while it doesn't reinvent the wheel, fans of the franchise will still find plenty to enjoy.

26. Resident Evil 2 - 4.5 Hours
Vpjik7T.jpg

The more I consider it, the clearer it becomes that this is my favorite Resident Evil. REmake certainly gives it a run for its money, but the design here is impeccable. No muss, no fuss, just a lean, mean zombie-killing machine. Paramount to its success, in my opinion, is the game's ability to make you feel like what you're experiencing is a small part of a larger whole. The story being split between Leon and Claire's campaign suggests the epidemic is bigger than any individual person. The pacing of the game, smartly abandoning the police station around the halfway point, gives the proceedings a bit of fluidity, the sense that everything is happening around you rather than explicitly to you. These things go a long way to draw you into the world and make you feel insignificant, putting the 'horror' in survival horror. The 'survival' part seems almost rudimentary in comparison these days: just enough ammo to kill most but not all enemies, save rooms spread out intermittently, and enough running back and forth unlocking rooms with different keys to make you wonder why no one compares these games to Metroidvanias. It's practically a formula now! But the truth is, the layout of the police station, the carefully metered drip feed of resources, the balance of risk versus reward, every facet of Resident Evil 2 is so masterfully crafted it remains a blueprint for survival horror games and a high-water mark of the franchise to this day

Schlomo

OK, time to start my list.

1. The Witcher 3 (PC) - 1.1.2016
2. Metal Gear Solid V (PC) - 2.1.2016
3. Ori and the Blind Forest (PC) - 4.1.2016
4. Grow Home (PS4) - 5.1.2016
5. King's Quest Ep. 1 (PS4) - 9.1.2016
6. Axiom Verge (PS4) - 10.1.2016
7. Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D (3DS) - 12.1.2016
8. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS) - 25.1.2016
9. Grim Fandango (PS4) - 9.2.2016
10. The Witness (PS4) - 13.2.2016
11. Batman: Arkham Knight (PC) - 28.2.2016
12. SteamWorld Dig (PS4) - 6.3.2016
13. Hotline Miami 2 (PS4) - 9.3.2016
14. Super Metroid (SNES) - 31.3.2016
15. Unmechanical Extended (PS4) - 3.4.2016
16. Shadow Warrior (PS4) - 23.4.2016
17. Spyro the Dragon (PS via PS3) - 28.4.2016
18. Picross 3D 2 (3DS) - 30.4.2016
19. Tearaway Unfolded (PS4) - 12.5.2016
20. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (3DS) - 14.5.2016
21. Uncharted 4 (PS4) - 16.5.2016
22. Dark Souls (PC) - 25.5.2016
23. CounterSpy (PS4) - 26.5.2016
24. InFamous First Light (PS4) - 29.5.2016
25. Unravel (PS4) - 29.6.2016
26. Sly 2 HD (PS3) - 2.7.2016
27. Jak 3 HD (PS3) - 24.7.2016
28. Wario Land (GB via 3DS) - 29.7.2016
29. Furi (PS4) - 30.7.2016
30. AM2R: Metroid 2 (PC) - 18.8.2016
31. Ratchet & Clank - A Crack in Time (PS3) - 21.8.2016
32. Abzû (PS4) - 24.8.2016
33. Grow Up (PS4) - 26.8.2016
34. Inside (PS4) - 28.8.2016
35. Headlander (PS4) - 4.9.2016
36. Bloodborne (PS4) - 10.9.2016
37. 4-Sided Fantasy (PS4) - 18.9.2016
38. Outlast (PS4) - 19.9.2016
39. Tomb Raider Legend (PC) - 25.9.2016
40. Trine 3 (PC) - 4.10.2016
41. Virginia (PS4) - 9.10.2016
42. Batman Arkham VR (PSVR) - 20.10.2016
43. Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties (PSVR) - 30.10.2016
44. Bound (PSVR) - 5.11.2016
45. Thumper (PSVR) - 13.11.2016
46. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS4) - 27.11.2016
47. Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4) - 4.12.2016
48. The Last Guardian (PS4) - 13.12.2016
49. Shadow of the Beast (PS4) - 16.12.2016
50. Wayward Sky (PSVR) - 18.12.2016
51. Ghost Trick (DS via Wii U) - 19.12.2016
52. Owlboy (PC) - 20.12.2016
53. Star Fox Zero (Wii U) - 23.12.2016
54. Doom (PS4) - 31.12.2016
55. Pony Island (PC) - 31.12.2016

lakester

Neo Member
First time in this thread, last year I manage to finish 47 titles, but if it wasn't for MGS5 (that "stole" me almost 2 months) I could have done better...

Completed 01/52:

Game 01: Ryse: Son of Rome (PC) - 6h40m
Stunning graphics. Running almost at max settings it's gorgeus.
Not so bad game considering its combat limitations and the presence of all these QTE events.

In Progress:

Game 02: Ori and the Blind Forest (PC)

2014 summary (33 games completed)

2015 summary (53 games completed)

1. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS4) - 5th January - 7h17m, completed the story on hard, got over 40 treasures and 47% trophies
I played this back on PS3 in 2008 (one of my first games after getting the console), but this was my first time playing it properly in seven years. I feel like it has aged reasonably well, and although the platforming is mostly balls, there's not enough puzzles or exploration and there's far too much shooting, it comes together as more than the sum of its parts. A big part of that is probably the excellent characters, voice acting and dialogue, and the presentation is superb throughout. I won't go on to play Among Thieves right away, but this is a pretty solid start to what has gone on to become one of my favourite franchises of recent years and I'll finish up all three before Uncharted 4 releases in four months. 8/10

2. Battlefield 4 (PS4) - 7th January - approx. 7-8 hours, completed the campaign on Easy and have played two multiplayer matches
I bought this initially as a friend was coming over and he usually likes this kind of modern military shooter, but he turned out not to have a great deal of interest in it so I finished playing by myself over a couple of nights. I'm not a big multiplayer gamer so my interest was mainly in the campaign, but despite some cool features and neat set-pieces, I found it very frequently frustrating, there's far too much of 'Press square to do thing' and following team-mates waiting for them to do things, or conversations to trigger, and I encountered a lot of glitches such as being shot through geometry, bodies floating in mid-air, unable to swim up in water (the first water section on the Titan was completely broken and seriously frustrating for me because the controls were fucked), a section where I had to get in a boat which disappeared and I had to load the checkpoint again, and so on. I also couldn't care less about the plot, and I was genuinely amused by how many team-mates join you for one level and then die. I'm not sure if it was supposed to make you care more about your consistent team-mates more, but I honestly found it so badly handled and quite amusing. The plot as a whole was completely pointless and very poor. Despite all this, the gameplay is good, the integration of the vehicles is excellent although there definitely should have been more, and the choice of weapons and secondary items (C4, mines, etc) was very broad, allowing quite a bit of variety in how you approach levels. There are some cool set-pieces, but the game needed more downtime in between all the bombast, and should have had more larger levels with bigger-scale battles and vehicles in the mix. 6/10

3. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4) - 9th January - approx. 4-5 hours, completed one playthrough and got only 2 trophies
I'm still fairly new to the whole 'walking simulator' genre, but when they're as well done as this then I'll gladly play more. The main attraction is the utterly gorgeous visuals and the incredible soundtrack - the choral music was so perfect for the story and tone, and I was nearly brought to tears a couple of times with the amazing voice acting, music kicking in and character stories wrapping up, usually in a melancholy way. The gameplay is a little annoying with the incredibly slow walking speed and lack of interaction with anything in the environment, but I was utterly captivated by the premise, I found the story chilling and intriguing and the village of Yaughnton is one of my favourite videogame environments ever. 8.5/10

4. An Assassin in Orlandes (Android) - 15th January - approx. 3 hours (including replays before I discovered the bookmark aka checkpoint system!)
This is a 'Gamebook Adventure'; a modern equivalent of the Choose Your Own Adventure style of game. I used to love those games as a kid and found this very enjoyable as well. I'm counting it as a game because there are dice rolls, battles and an inventory, even though it's not a deep experience. Very enjoyable though, and a good distraction if you're looking for something to play on your phone for a few days. 8/10

5. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS4) - 21st January - approx. 9 hours, completed on hard with 36% trophies
I played this on PS3 as well, but I was looking forward to going back to it to see how it had aged, and it honestly did not disappoint. It's such a high-quality experience overall, with amazing pacing, great characters and dialogue, superb level design and fantastic set-pieces that have not been bettered by any other series. Honestly, I love almost everything about this game and I think it completely deserves to be regarded as one of the most important action games of last generation. 9/10

6. Tales from the Borderlands (PS4) - 30th January - approx. 10 hours, game complete & Platinum trophy earned
I have no interest in the Borderlands series but I liked TWD and TWAU a lot, so seeing this in a sale and hearing a lot of its acclaim, I decided to give it a crack. I'm glad I did because it's a really well-written game with brilliant characters and wonderful pacing. The presentation is excellent too, and each episode is exciting and interesting and things are always moving along. It's slightly below those other two Telltale series, but it's an unequivocal success in that it made me interested in Borderlands and was a thoroughly enjoyable game in its own right. 8/10

7. Destiny: The Taken King (PS4) - 4th February - approx. 12 hours (including The Dark Below and House of Wolves)
I'm not a big multiplayer gamer but I've thoroughly enjoyed my time with Destiny. TTK takes things in the right direction with more interesting mission design - sneaking into
Crota's funeral
was my favourite, and I like the mission where it subverts your expectations at the end and you have to
flee instead of fight
. However, despite how much I love the gameplay, the overall structure still feels half-hearted, with too many 'defend the thing' missions and too much retreading through the same locations. I've played a few Strikes which are fun if repetitive (and I've never got any good loot) and I haven't been able to play any Raids as yet. It just feels like Bungie have this amazing gameplay wrapped up in mediocre game design, and I hope they overhaul things significantly for Destiny 2. Despite all my grumbles about the game and my overall dislike of 'always online', I do love the moment-to-moment gameplay and I will probably be on board for the sequel. 7.5/10

8. Gravity Rush Remastered (PS4) - 11th February - approx. 20 hours, Platinum trophy earned
I loved this on the Vita so I was excited to play a quality Bluepoint remaster, and they've made a wonderful game even better. Kat is one of the most likeable protagonists ever, the flight gameplay is a complete adrenaline rush and I really like the city of Heksville. It's probably the only game I've ever played where zooming around getting collectibles didn't feel tiresome. If there are criticisms it's that the combat needed fleshing out and there are very few things to do in city, but personally that latter point felt kind of refreshing. Can't wait for the sequel later this year, and one of the best games on Vita is now one of the best games on PS4. 9/10

9. Motorsport Manager (Android) - 15th February - approx. 15 hours, reached final championship
I didn't finish all of the content in this game, but I hammered it pretty solid for about a week and kind of burnt myself out on it, so I think I'm done. I was in the final championship but needed to grind a bit more to get my car good enough to win and just could not be arsed to progress. Anyway, it's an excellent little game with a surprising amount of depth and really great presentation, and it looks like it was developed by just one guy. Well worth picking up if you need something to play while on the toilet, although I found it a little frustrating that you can't set conditions for the team to run itself as it means you constantly have to micro-manage which does get a bit tiresome during every race. 8/10

10. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (PS4) - 21st February - 7 hours, standard completion on Normal difficulty
Picked this up for a bargain at £7, and it was a great shooter which was well worth the money. The controls and movement are superb and the combat feels really explosive and violent and rewarding. The guns are good although I would have liked a bit more variety, and the level design is generally solid, even if some more wide-open areas and some levels which weren't set in the castle would have been welcome. I found it to be a punishing game where you could die quickly, and I did not like the stealth levels at all - they artificially increased the difficulty by making the two captains further and further apart, and putting in a lot of enemies you cannot stealth-kill. Despite that though I did enjoy it a lot, it had some brilliant little easter eggs and call backs to the original Wolfenstein 3D and considering it's an expandalone it doesn't feel cheap or lazy (that being said, I have not played The New Order). An excellent effort and I look forward to the inevitable next Wolf game from Machinegames. 7.5/10

11. The Room Three (Android) - 1st March - 5h6m, a single playthrough with what seemed like a 'bad' ending (apparently there are multiple endings)
I played The Room and The Room Two last year, and fell in love with both of them. TR3 is probably the best yet, with huge intricate puzzles across multiple rooms, gorgeous visuals and presentation and a wonderful creepy Gothic atmosphere. My only slight grumble is that because the puzzles tend to be much larger in scale they sometimes lack the minor details of the first games; there aren't many hidden switches or levers on the sides of boxes any more, because when your attention is split between three rooms, something that small would be hard to notice. And the hint system is very generous, making sure you're never stuck for long. 9/10

12. Tearaway Unfolded (PS4) - 6th March - approx. 10 hours, a single playthrough with 37% trophies
I first played this on Vita when it came out and really loved it, but I didn't quite enjoy it so much this time around. It's still a really great game, but I feel like the pacing needed some work (the beginning and third quarter really drag on), and I didn't feel quite so immersed by not having a PS4 camera and seeing my stupid grinning mush in the sun every time - I felt like the brilliant use of all the Vita's hardware features really added to it first time around. Anyway, it's still a really great and thoroughly charming game, with amazing visuals and a really nice papercraft theme that just felt like it didn't quite hit the highs of its Vita big brother. 8/10

13. Metro 2033 Redux (PS4) - 10th March - approx. 10 hours, a single playthrough on Spartan mode with 44% trophies
Really good game; an excellent throwback to the likes of Half Life and a lot slower-paced and more subdued than most FPSs nowadays. Superb atmosphere and nice depth to the mechanics. 8/10

14. Salt and Sanctuary (PS4) - 31st March - approx. 35 hours for 1.5 playthroughs and 84% trophies (I intend to return and finish the second playthrough for the Platinum)
I loved this; it's going to be one of my very favourite games of the year. It was a perfect realisation of Dark Souls in 2D, with a lot more difficult and some gameplay elements of Castlevania implemented as well, which really benefits the level design. 9/10

15. Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition (PS4) - 8th April - approx. 4 hours, a single playthrough and 17% trophies
I played this as I was in the mood for DC stuff due to BvS (and to a lesser extent, Teen Titans Go!). Not really a big fan of fighting games but the plot was the appeal here, but I didn't really think much of it. Fighting was okay-ish, although I felt like some characters had a very short attacking range which put them at a disadvantage compared to others. The silliness of it all is pretty fun, although NeverRealm's character models are goddamn hideous. 6.5/10

16. Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception (PS4) - 28th April - approx. 10 hours, a single playthrough for 37% trophies
Finished this up as I wanted to replay the whole series before UC4 was out. Really enjoyable game overall; I maintain my stance from back in 2011 that it's very, very good if not quite as great overall as its predecessor. Has probably the best set-piece from the trilogy in the
plane crash
sequence, but overall it feels a little too much like a retread of the things Uncharted 2 nailed. 9/10

17. Table Top Racing: World Tour (PS4) - 4th May - approx. 5 hours, played about as much as I was likely to for 22% trophies
A fun Micro Machines-style racing game, but it lacks a certain je ne sais quoi and I cannot put my finger on what's missing. Visuals are good and the handling is nice, but the tracks tend to be a bit flat and boring and I don't like the weapons much. 7/10

18. Firewatch (PS4) - 5th May - approx. 4 hours, 100% trophies earned
I like walking simulators and I enjoyed this a lot, although I found the ending a little flat as I was expecting more of a payoff, but I understand the story reasons for why they wrote it that way. Really great characterisation, a wonderful game world which I had fun exploring and the dialogue was excellent. 8/10

19. Severed (Vita) - 15th May - approx. 12-14 hours, Platinum trophy earned
I really loved this. It was such a strange combination of ideas but it worked so well, with this dark story interwoven through this excellent (if a little easy) Metroid-esque adventure, with genuinely good use of the touch screen, fantastic visuals and art style and a nice rewarding upgrade system. Currently my second favourite indie game of the year, coming in just behind Salt and Sanctuary. 9/10

20. Stories: The Path of Destinies - 23rd May - approx. 4-5 hours, 35% trophies earned
I found this game really creative and original in how it was structured; basically each playthrough is split into five chapters and at the end of every chapter you can make a choice in what to do next (i.e. go to save a friend or get a superweapon to attack the enemy empire), and this means there are 25 different endings according to what choices you make. I played through about five different endings and enjoyed it (it's top-down and the combat is similar to Batman Arkham, which is thoroughly enjoyable), but didn't have the enthusiasm to see everything. 7/10

21. Shadow of the Beast (PS4) - 26th May - approx. 5-6 hours, 27% trophies earned
As a fan of the original I was really looking forward to this, and it was mostly satisfying. I would have liked more open level design with more focus on puzzles, but the combat is enjoyable (very much timing and rhythm-based), I really liked how it handled unlockables and the visuals and presentation are amazing. 7/10

22. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) - 11th July - approx. 18 hours, 23% trophies earned
For the first 7-8 chapters I was kind of bored and didn't like the much slower, more story-focused pace, but then once you get to the Madagascar chapter it becomes possibly my favourite game in the series, and I really liked its focus on sandbox combat as opposed to scripted set-pieces. The change in pace turned out to be a really good idea and made it feel distinct compared to its predecessors, and I really liked the more involved platforming and climbing as well. Overall, a slow start but an incredibly strong finish. Now I'm split on whether I want another Uncharted game, or whether I don't want ND to bring it back. I'd probably lean towards the latter, as this would be a perfect ending for the series. 9/10

And a few games I'm not certain on dates for:

23. Kingdom Rush: Origins (Android) - June - probably 4+ hours
A very enjoyable Tower Defence game with really great visuals and presentation. 8/10

24. Kingdom Rush: Frontiers (Android) - June - probably 3-ish hours
I bought this off the back of the above game, and enjoyed it almost as much. I didn't spend quite as much time on replying missions or doing extra missions, but still found the campaign very enjoyable. 8/10

25. Game Dev Story (Android) - July - did the first 30 years of one playthrough, which took maybe 5-6 hours?
Re-downloaded this after recommending it to someone a week or two back. Still a great game and the best Kairosoft ...Story game in my opinion, although it needed an extra layer of depth somehow, as once you're in the cycle of creating moderately successful games it becomes very easy and is basically a rush from there to earning billions of dollars. 8/10

Iryx

2/52

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros - 24 Hours. Finished on 6/1/2016
I ended up liking this one, there's a lack of original characters, but it's funny enough that it wasn't that big of a deal. Combat is great just like the other M&L games, and it never felt like the game was just dragging on. Wasn't a big fan of Paper Toad collecting or Papercraft battles, but there weren't that many of them and they didn't last too long. I've been pretty bad about finishing M&L games, and I kinda want to go back and finish Dream Team after playing through this game.

I ll claim this here. Absolute challenge for a working person

PC
Game 1: League of Legends S6 preseason want alteast Diamond (currently playing)
Game 2: Tree of Savior (72h)
Game 3: Black Desert (90h)
Game 4: Final Fantasy 14 (22h)

PS4
Game 5: Lego Marvel (finished 85% trophies 11h)
Game 6: Lego Hobbit
Game 7: Aliennation
Game 8: Borderlands Handsome Edition (B2 + Pre)
Game 9: Uncharted Collection
Game 10: The Division
Game 11: Street Fighter V
Game 12: Nioh (Alpha complete finish)
Game 13: Naruto UNS4

PS Vita and 3DS on my way to work
Game 14: Superbeat Xonic (26h)
Game 15: Dungeon Travlers 2 (50h finished 100% trophies)
Game 16: Digimon Cybersleuth
Game 17: Stranger of Sword City
Game 18: Ray Giant
Game 19: Fire Emblem IF
Game 20: Bravely Default 2
Game 20: Tales of Sky Cold Steel

Future Games i gonna pick up

Projekt x Zone 2
Monster Hunter X (i hope we get a release @ the end of the year else i gonna import)
Uncharted 4
Darksouls 3

More to come

Claiming this! In hopes to get through some of my backlog. I doubt I'll finish, but it would be cool if I could.

Completed

Final Fantasy Type-0. Most immediate impressions were: Better story structure then I expected, annoying 14 person combat party that I couldn't give a shit about until I decided to pick specific favorites to invest into, I like the battle system a lot.

Currently playing
Amnesia:Memories- This one will probably take a little longer being a VN, but I like it a lot. Much better then I expected,especially being an otome game and I'm pretty excited to get through all the routes

Grim Fandango Haven't touched this since I was a kid, and I didn't even finish it again, so I'll basically be going in fresh, and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. If it doesn't, oh well, I didn't pay for it.

Next in line
Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 3
Hyperdimension Neptunia U (they were both on sale....)
Bloodborne
Her Story

Tregard

Soothsayer
This seems like a bad idea, count me in!

Hz1X9vM.png

GkhhEXD.png

GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png

GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png

GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png

GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png

GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png

GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
GkhhEXD.png
VfPguN1.png
zNVjUrX.png
PFgP6KU.png

Currently Working On:

- Fallout 4
- Fire Emblem: Awakening
- Destiny

Targeted:

- Undertale
- Just Cause 3
- Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Persona 4 Golden
- Virture's Last Reward: 999
- The Swapper
- Ghost Needs Sheets
- Gregory Horror Show

I wanted something quick and mindless tonight, and boy oh boy did I pick a winner.

Game #02 - Halo: Spartan Strike
Playtime: ~3-4 hours

pazPXnO.jpg

I'm not sure what I expected after getting through the first game a year or so back. Just an incredibly bland experience, but it reminded me of some of the little Halo weapon quirks that I like. So that's a good thing. Completion time was probably three hours, tops.

Game 3: Shovel Knight (PC) - 4 Hours

ubZXDSB.png

Bought this game and played a couple levels out of it quite awhile back, got busy with work and forgot about it. Sat down to start again and just ended up playing through the entire game. Really good game if a little easy compared to the megaman games its playing on. Didn't know the plague knight stuff was a free add on will be checking that out now too.

Brockxz

OK This maybe will help me to get through my enormous game catalog (more than 400 games less than 30% completed). I played through 20+ games last year so why not try double it. My main problem is I sometimes lose interest to complete game and jump to next game that peaks my interest at that time.

Completed:
Game 1: Rainbow Six Siege (PC) - played 100+h (this year at least 15+ hours already). I think I have completed it. Every situation done and I still play MP casual or ranked. This game probably will be my go to MP game this year.
Game 2: Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast (PC)- played 20 hours. - I completed it back in 2002 but decided to play through once more. Still one of the best SW games up-to date.
Game 3: Spintires (PC) - completed all objectives on all maps with automatic. I think i'm done with it because don't want to do all with manual.
Game 4: Diablo 3 (PC) - reached season characters Greater rift 72.

In Progress:
Tom Clancy's The Division - already have 200h in this game.
Far Cry 2 (PC) - I played it half way back when it came but lost interest.
Halo 4 (X360)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (PC)

Ricitor

1) Grand Theft Auto III
HJQvenU.jpg

-Platform: PS2(PS4 Emulation)
-Completed on: 06/01/2016
-Time (Estimate): 25+ hours
-Completion Status: All missions complete/ 93% completion (Only missing hidden Packages)
---------------------------
# This was actually my fifth attempt to play through GTA 3. Every time I had tried to do so ended up in my being unable to get past its very dated gameplay. I swore this would be the time to put it to rest. The game as a whole has aged very poorly but more specifically in its mission design and overall gameplay style. I found myself struggling to start working with the game and about 10 missions in, I made the decision that I was just going to utilize cheats. This actually made the game much more enjoyable and fun to play but still does not save it from being frustrating. The great Handling cheat became a necessity for me. The game can also be very annoying and one of the main reasons is because of how the story plays out and how Claude is treated in the world
(Fuck going to Saint Marks)
along with the lack of a map meaning there are times you may get lost in the hustle of Liberty City streets.
As a big fan of the franchise, I can appreciate this being a crucial and important game and I understand the massive achievment it was at the time, but this does not mean that translates it to being timeless.
I still enjoyed my time despite a few very loud outbursts, but it is a very hard sell unless you are a big fan of the franchise and what to see its roots. All I have left are Hidden Packages for the 100% so I may just do that when I got a slow day and feel like a grind.

Ragona

First game beaten in the still young year of 2016 is Tearaway Unfolded on the PS4.

banner_2458.jpg

I picked it up for 10 Euros in a PS4 Sale on Amazon Germany and since i don't own a Playstation Vita, but still heard great impressions about the game, I decided to give it a go.
The game is absolutely beautiful and charming, with an artstyle that completely stands out.
I found most of the puzzles and gameplay mechanics (atleast up to the last chapter) really engaging and fun.
However i found the game didnt offer enough engaging mechanics for the whole duration of the game( which took me around 9 hours to beat). Combat was really boring and the last chapter was really annoying at times. I think I would have enjoyed the game way more, if it was a shorter, maybe 5-6 hours experience. Quite often i felt myself lacking motivation to play on, so i completed it in 4 or 5 sessions of 1-2,5 hours each.

In the end iam still happy i finished this unique experience, got a few really nice memorable moments out of it.
+ Charming, bautiful artstyle
+ Clever puzzles
+ Parts of the Story
- Pacing
- Combat
★★★★★★★☆☆☆

Viridian6

Viridian6 - 15/52 games completed

Game 1: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 1 - Zer0 Sum (PC) 6 Jan - 3h - ★★★★
Pretty good introduction episode. Funny and exciting.

Game 2: A Bird Story (PC) 13 Jan - 1.5h - ★★½
Kind of dull, though charming at times.

Game 3: Muramasa Rebirth (Vita) 16 Jan - 11.5h - ★★★½
Completed Kisuke's story (completed Momohime's story previously). The better of the two stories. Fun if somewhat repetitive, with a couple of really hard bosses. Gorgeous art.

Game 4: God of War: Ascension (PS3) 19 Jan - 13.25h - ★★★½
Played this game in increments over last year as well. Fun and challenging enough, but not very compelling.

Game 5: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 2 - Atlas Mugged (PC) 20 Jan - 2h - ★★★½

Game 6: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 3 - Catch a Ride (PC) 4 Feb - 2h - ★★★½

Game 7: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 4 - Escape Plan Bravo (PC) 13 Feb - 3h - ★★★★

Game 8: Tales from the Borderlands: Episode 5 - The Vault of the Traveler (PC) 13 Feb - 3h - ★★★★½
Tales from the Borderlands was generally good fun and executed well.

Game 9: Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Shadows of Hong Kong (PC) 21 Feb - 18.5h - ★★★½
Well written and executed, if not quite consistent with the ending of the main game. Bugs and English mistakes are mostly but not completely gone. Load times have become atrocious.

Game 10: We Know the Devil (PC) 24 Feb - 2h - ★★★
All endings obtained. Semi-horror visual novel. Intriguing premise, but didn't really understand the characters.

Game 11: Call of Duty: Black Ops II (PC) 2 Mar - 9.5h - ★★★½
Call of Duty gameplay is as fun as always. I think the story was actually too ambitious and should have been split into two games (the past and the future). Consequently the plot is somewhat incoherent and undeveloped, but entertaining enough. Hated the Strike Force missions and thus didn't get the good ending.

Game 12: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Vita) 12 June - 36h - ★★★★
Very ambitious game, though it ultimately doesn't explain everything satisfactorily and ends on a cliffhanger. Still one of the most unique video game experiences.

Game 13: Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (PC) 9 Aug - 21h - ★★★
Storywise this started off promising but was insufficiently developed and ended in an even less satisfying way than the previous game, Puzzle rooms were more fun than VLR's.

Game 14: A Dark Room (PC) 14 Aug - 3.5h - ★★★★½
Addictive. A work of art.

Game 15: Sorcery! (PC) 08 Oct - 2h - ★★★½
Great conversion of the gamebook, though I would prefer that they had preserved the original combat. Feels a bit short too. The next parts are supposed to be bigger and better though!

kurahador

Game 1: Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut (PC)- 43 hours
mf2RnEH.jpg

Tried to do a pacifist+no alarm achievements, sadly I failed on both :(.
This is the first time I've completed this game and play through the Missing Link DLC. The story integration is pretty good I thought, except for the augmentations removal part -- I hated that.
Overall, solid game all around with the highlight being changes to the boss fights where beings stealthy is now possible. Kinda disappointed with the endings though as they are all ridiculously vague. And I'm guessing Mankind Divided will be continuing from a slightly modified ending 4 (
killing everyone at the base
).

List: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=190947896&postcount=193

Auctopus

First year eligible, let's do this.

People are making posts for each game? I didn't think that's how the thread worked.

I thought you make a "Home post/Original Post" then you make a fresh post each time you finish a game with some additional thoughts then link back to the OP in case anyone's interested in what you play.

Then you keep your OP updated.

If people just updated their OPs then the thread wouldn't go anywhere.

5 more games done!

#3 - PS4 - [Prototype 2] (Prototype)
#4 - Vita - Steins;Gate (All routes done + Platinum)
#5 - PS4 - Need For Speed (Platinum)
#6 - PS4 - Battlefront (Finished all the missions)
#7 - PS4 - Amplitude

Cool idea! I'll take part.

W8Py4ej.png

Game 1: Star Wars The Old Republic (PC)

I played a good chunk of SWTOR back when it released, but fell off due to disinterest in endgame PVP and raiding. That hasn't changed here, but leveling up a new Sith character has been enjoyable. Bioware's done a great job of cleaning up the typical MMO fetch quests and clutter, you only really need to play the Class quests to progress. Definitely recommend giving the game a shot now that it's free to play. $5 to become a "preferred" player strips a lot of the F2P trappings.

t8u9UqQ.png

Game 2: Call of Duty: Black Ops III (PS4)

CoD's always a reliable quick shooter. The movement options are a welcome addition, although nowhere near as satisfying as Titanfall's free-running. Not my favourite Call of Duty MP, far from the worst. I appreciate the fact that Killstreaks aren't the be all, end all game changers they used to be, but there's plenty of one hit kill madness thanks to the specialist abilities. I could take 'em or leave 'em. Zombies continues to very much not be my thing, though I can appreciate the new motif. Campaign isn't Treyarch's best offering in my opinion, but it's kind of hard to beat the numbers, Mason.

sXR8pN3.png

Game 3: Nuclear Throne (Vita)

I haven't had a lot of love for the Vita catalog, but Nuclear Throne's doing it for me. Great little rogue-like shoot'em'up before I always play before bed. Reminiscent of Smash TV and Binding of Isaac. Great weapon variety and monster abilities really spice up each run. There's a few technical problems on Vita, such as FPS dips and crashing, but hey, it's crossbuy. I can always play on PS4 or PS3. Vlambeer nails it again.

E73cb48.png

Game 4: Hardware Rivals (PS4) / Platinum Achieved

I'm playing another Hardware Online game. That's crazy . Hardware Online Arena was my first PS2 Online game, and I lost months to it. Rivals is mostly unchanged from the original release, and that's a great thing in my opinion. Car Combat may be dead and gone, but Hardware plays super well and it's easy to pick up and learn. Horde heavy missiles and camp for days. Developers have been very good about adding new content, and fixing various issues that arise. Platinum trophy, get!

Game 2 - Amplitude (PS4)
Well, that wasn't much of a campaign. Fifteen OK to bad songs played one after the other, alongside a bunch of extra quickplay songs, all of which are of similar quality and are un. Not a comfortable game to play. The visuals aren't particularly good for the eyes, and don't help at all during a game where concentration and reflexes are key, but the main issue lies in the button layout. If you have a DS4 handy, for fun, try pressing L1-R1-R2-R1-L1 over and over again. It doesn't feel good whatsoever. There is too much travel on R2 for it to be comfortable, and playing L1/R1/Circle doesn't help because your thumb and index finger don't alternate as well as your index and middle finger. The core gameplay was implemented far better in Rock Band Blitz.

OP

The_Poet

Banned
I will complete 52 games this year.

Does launching 52 games then closing them to play 52 games of DOTA 2 count?

Oreoleo

The List!
Detailed Impressions 01-12
Detailed Impressions 13-26
Detailed Impressions 27-xx

27. Transistor - 9 Hours
jVdcBRI.jpg

Transistor was a mixed bag for me. Ultimately I had a lot of fun with the combat, experimenting with different combinations of abilities, but there's a lot of fluff and missteps that mire the fun along the way. The beginning of the game really makes little effort to ease the player into the world and mechanics of combat and customization. Practically no narrative backdrop or introduction to the characters is presented upfront, instead revealing backstory in a piecemeal fashion over the course of the campaign. Coupled with this, the UI for customizing abilities is initially a whirlwind of confusion. Each and every ability you earn by leveling up can be used as an active, a passive, or a modification for another active ability. Simple enough when stated so plainly, but there is so much supplementary information and flavor text presented side by side with the descriptive text of the abilities (colorfully written in technobabble to coincide with the game's setting) that makes discerning what anything does or when it's activated a trying experience. Eventually I looked up an online guide to explain the basics of combat and customization so it didn't feel like I was playing something written in Chinese anymore. Between my initial frustrations with customization and the game's unwillingness to even establish the setting, I can not overstate what a miserable experience the first hour of Transistor was. Persevering proved to be mostly worth it however. Though there seemed to be some minor overlap with ability functions, there's enough variety to support the game's running length and then some. The narrative on the other hand never really seemed to pick up steam. On the surface it seemed overly trite (two lovers longing to be reunited, shady rebel organization up to no good in local area), but the deeper plot points don't seem to ever be fully addressed (Why is the guy's consciousness stuck inside a sword? How exactly did a program/virus overrun a city?). It leaves the story feeling a little perfunctory, clearly secondary to the combat mechanics. And while the combat is 'good enough' to prop the game up, finding a way to better marry the two disparate halves of Transistor beyond a surface level would have strengthened the game considerably.

28. Transmissions: Element 120 - 1.3 Hours
iCm8tJ3.jpg

Transmissions is a fan-made Source engine mod that takes place in the Half-Life universe. The 'worst' thing about this is how heavily it lifts from the Half-Life 2 series. Featuring no new enemies or weapons, on a surface level this could easily pass as an outtake from Episode 1 or 2, or even a prologue to Episode 3. That's not really a bad thing, but personally after a decade+ since Half-Life 2 came out, I've worn thin of using the same pistol, shotgun, revolver against the same combine, zombies, and poison headcrabs. Fortunately for Transmissions, it quickly makes all those weapons obsolete by introducing a new wrinkle to the game play: transforming the gravity gun into what is essentially a rocket jumper. The primary fire launches an orb that can be used offensively and, if timed with a jump can send the player soaring through the air without taking any splash or fall damage. This adds a whole new dimension to combat, offering verticality and maneuverability in a series that traditionally limits you to moseying around on your own two feet. Once the level design opens up towards the end of the game and allows you to move around freely, there is a tangible sense of feeling like a super hero which contrasts nicely with the "every man" perspective of Gordon Freeman. Visually I found it to be beyond anything else with the words Half-Life or Left 4 Dead in the title. It's a testament to the developer that he was able to take the 12 year old Source engine and put out textures and lighting that made me take pause and appreciate the world he had built. The predominate black/blue/grey color scheme evokes a different feeling than City 17's orange and white housing, eschewing the overt European style for something more in line with Blade Runner or Deus Ex. Though the runtime is short, the game successfully sets the mood very promptly. Initially feeling tense and vulnerable (not unlike parts of Ravenholm) in claustrophobic sewers the game gradually opens up more and more growing in scale and culminating in a final battle encompassing a full city block. The whole package is impeccably designed and offers just enough differences from the canon Half-Life games to stand on its own two feet, while being reminiscent enough to its forebearers to ignite the imagination with ideations of what the future of the franchise might have in store.

29. The Beginner's Guide - 1.5 Hours
NjtT1dv.jpg

Charlie Kaufman: The Game. The creator of The Stanley Parable offers up an introspective look into, essentially, the human condition. The Beginner's Guide explores themes including but not limited to: relationships, creativity, depression, anxiety and validation. The game is presented almost like a director's commentary, with constant voice-overs guiding you through a museum of different levels and game designs, leading you by the nose instead of discovering and exploring for yourself. And that's fine, the style of storytelling is completely in service to the design of the game. Towards the end, I was anticipating some twist of emotional grandeur that never came, instead the game opts for a pensive, self-reflecting and melancholy conclusion. The ambiguous ending is one of the game's greatest strengths, opening itself up to personal interpretation and giving the player some fat to chew on after the credits roll. There are almost zero "gamey" elements here so it's certainly not for everyone, however for anyone up for exploring a perspective of the creative process and the philosophical side of game development I'd be hard-pressed to think of a better game.

30. Kholat - 5.5 Hours
8ieHqmL.jpg

Kholat is a fictionalization of the Dyatlov Pass Incident, set in the mountains of Russia. It plays like Amnesia with its combat-less, run-from-the-bad-guy-or-die gameplay with a healthy dose of walking simulator thrown in. The game is carried on the strength of its atmosphere, in no small part due to the sublime sound design. If you let yourself it's very easy to fall into a bit of a trance, focusing on the superb orienteering: you have a compass and a map, period. No minimap, no GPS, and certainly no overtly-gamey dot on the map that tracks your every movement. The game literally gives you coordinate locations (eg, 13 N, 42 E) as destinations and leaves it to you to figure out how to get there, and I can't applaud the game enough for it. So rare is it for a game to allow the player to get lost, but here Kholat seems to actually encourage it; paths tucked away between two boulders at what at first glance appears a dead end, limited visibility due to the constant snowfall and lack of daylight, trees everywhere obscuring sight lines. That's only half the equation though. The soundtrack to this game is howling wind and the crunch of snow underfoot. As simple as that sounds, it never once becomes repetitive or sterile but instead serves to let other sound effects stand out and catch you off guard. The sound of a howling wolf in the distance, or worse, the sound of someone else walking through the snow in your immediate vicinity. It's an incredibly psychological horror, being able to hear the threats around you well before you see them. Knowing your only defense is running away (and occasionally not even that) amps the tension as much here as it did in Amnesia. That's pretty much the bulk of the game, half-wandering around trying to get somewhere specific and getting spooked on the way there. Solid presentation with narration from Sean Bean and some decent set pieces round out the experience and elevate the game beyond feeling like a proof of concept like other walkabouts. The ending felt a little unceremonious which was deflating, but otherwise I liked this game quite a bit.

31. Metro 2033 - 8 Hours
KDJ41AX.jpg

Metro 2033 has an uncanny ability to draw the player into its world. Where other games might be content with just presenting Metro's setting for the player to gawk at, Metro 2033 makes you live it. From hand-cranking your flashlight every few minutes to keep it working, to being on a perennial time limit every time you go to the surface due to the toxic air, to having decide whether to equip your military-grade ammo or save it to use as currency at the vendors, Metro 2033 is filled with little wrinkles and details that many other games wouldn't ever concern themselves with. And it's in spite of the game's average gunplay and near-broken stealth mechanics that these details make the game more than the sum of its parts. It's essentially a survival-horror shooter; a feeling of vulnerability pervades the entire game. When you run out of ammo mid fight or air filters while on the surface that feeling of vulnerability and reluctance turns into full-blown panic. It's rare for a game to elicit that kind of response, but Metro 2033 manages to pull it off over and over, even after having beaten the game twice previously. Some of the previously mentioned rough edges (lovingly referred to as "Eurojank") means it's not for everyone, but I can't recommend it enough.

32. No Man's Sky - 43 Hours
SOckVam.jpg

I have nothing bad to say about Sean Murray. I think the online backlash against him in particular is rather embarrassing. However. This game is ultimately a disappointment. A monumental waste of potential. The core idea of the game, hopping from solar system to solar system and landing on planets to explore, is sound. The systems surrounding it brings everything down, sadly. The first 10-20 hours can be really exciting and invigorating, but soon enough you start to see the forest for the trees: the individual pieces that make up every animal. Hot/cold/toxic/poisonous environments boiling down to which protective shield gets depleted, the same element needed to recharge all of them, with no other discernible traits between climates. Differences between planets ultimately amount to whether it has Aluminium, Chrysonite (it's never Chrysonite), or Emeril as the lone neutral element since the animals, planet geography, climate, sentinel aggression etc has no bearing to the player. Space combat is literally pointless. There is no reward or greater meaning to finishing the Atlas path. There is no reward or greater meaning for reaching the center of the galaxy. There are no new abilities to unlock, only incremental upgrades for the equipment and abilities you already have. Ships are functionally identical, with the only differences being cosmetic and how many slots it has. The game is all carrot-on-a-stick gameplay and sooner or later you realize there isn't even a carrot to chase! Exploration is completely neutered by every moon, every planet, every single place you will ever travel in the entire universe will never be more than two minutes away from a space station, trading post, observatory, or any of the other half dozen prefabricated facilities that litter the galaxy like a plague, all with a little friendly alien to talk to and keep you company. Land on a planet and survey the immediate surrounding area, congratulations you now know what the other 99.9% of the planet will consist of. Get whatever you need that you can't buy from a trader and move on to the next one. There's no sense of discovery because there's nothing to discover. For all the amount of space you have to roam there's NO sense of isolation because there are NPC's EVERYWHERE. No sense of exploration because you don't have to explore to find anything. The game is too afraid to let you get yourself stranded or stuck that it puts everything you ever need a stone's throw away from you. It's telling to me that the most memorable experiences involved finding crashed ships, either because you found one without being expressly told beforehand where it is, or if you *were* expressly told about it you might have to fly halfway around a planet to reach it, giving an incredibly fleeting sense of journey and adventure. I wonder where it all went wrong. Everything feels so shallow. The size of the game feels like a bullet point to put on the back of the box. This could have been twice the game it is if there were instead only ~100 planets that were all hand-curated. I'm honestly bewildered at how there could be so many missteps and missed opportunities in one game. There's a foundation for a good game in there, but it's mired by so much videogamey bullshit I'm skeptical it will ever evolve into a worthwhile experience.

33. Dead Rising - 15 Hours
XrT5OJE.jpg

A decade later, this game holds up incredibly well and is still a ton of fun to play. I don't think you'd see a lot of what makes it unique find its way into modern games these days, though. There's so many layers to dig into that would be sanded down in modern AAA games (And you don't have to look farther than DR3 for proof of that) like the unforgiving time limit, brain dead AI survivors (God love 'em), borderline cheese strategies for beating most of the bosses, having to hit specific places on the map for certain weapons, the "Frank West+" design of the game encouraging you to start over multiple times while retaining your character level. It all adds up to a fascinating, rewarding experience that has never been equaled, even by the following games in the franchise. It's not perfect, as the final 3rd is rather uneven with some head scratching decisions (Nothing to do the final 12 hours of the 72 hour countdown, fetch quest in Overtime, 1st phase of the final boss) but you take the good with the bad. I'd rather play a 'flawed masterpiece' like this that bleeds with ambition rather than something that ends up watered down and 'less than' to accommodate a broader audience like the sequels have increasingly become. Replaying Dead Rising has only solidified it as one of my favorite games of all time.

34. Metro: Last Light - 10 Hours
JaaM06N.jpg

The differences between Metro 2033 and Metro: Last Light is exactly like the differences between Half-Life 1 and 2. Where the original is a tight, lean, personal experience, the sequel is blown out to encompass a broader story and lore, and larger, more bombastic set pieces. In both cases the sequel is generally regarded as the better game, but I find myself preferring the more contained experience of the originals. More characters, more factions, more interactions dilutes what I felt the first one was all about: the sense of vulnerability and isolation, and the careful balance of resources. Somewhat contradictory to the title "Last Light," the surface levels are much brighter now, less desolate and unforgiving. As a character mentions, winter is thawing and the dawn of spring is on its heels, and consequently something is lost in the process. I'm overstating the bad though. Despite anything else, the gun mechanics, the feel and feedback of aiming and shooting is vastly improved over the original which in and of itself makes the sequel far more playable. Where Metro 2033's stealth mechanics were practically broken, Last Light course corrects to an absurd degree. With perhaps a handful of scripted moments as an exception, you can stealth your way through basically the entire game if you wanted. It should be a welcome change for most, however I feel 4A overshot their mark and made stealth a little too easy and too powerful. This directly correlates to the loss of feeling vulnerable, as your stack of 10 throwing knives can one-hit kill any amount of enemies the game throws at you with relative ease. Countering this, the campaign is punctuated by a few arena-style bosses that break up the experience. The game occasionally gets too bogged down in its own narrative, which, again is partly why I prefer the leaner experience of the original, but as a complete package Metro: Last Light is a great shooter that any fan of the genre should enjoy.

35. Duke Nukem 3D: Megaton Edition - 15 Hours
WilnyL0.jpg

Always bet on Duke! Wow, twenty years after release and this game still impresses. The graphics are of course dated, but the game play is best-in-class. This immediately rivals Quake 1 for 'best classic FPS' in my mind, and I wouldn't bat an eye if someone told me they thought it was the best FPS of all time. The variety of levels and locales is unparalleled with anything I've ever played save for maybe Perfect Dark, and nearly matches that games' breadth of unique weapons and gadgets at your disposal as well. Duke Nukem himself is a perfect amalgamation of Schwarzenegger-esque machismo and campy Americanism (Kurt Russell in Big Trouble in Little China comes to mind) that has elevated the character to the gaming pop culture icon we know him as today. Without The Duke and the flavor he imparts on the game, this could easily be relegated as just another game where you're blowing up aliens and demons (albeit an above average one). Instead, it's a humorous and entertaining classic that will forever be a part of video game culture and history.

36. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith - 8.5 Hours
0N85veU.jpg

..I should not have played this immediately after Duke Nukem 3D. A solid and enjoyable game in its own right, but it really pales in comparison to Duke (as most shooters of that era would, I think). Lightsabers, force powers, and a variety of blasters and explosives round out your arsenal, and none of them feel particularly excellent to use. Jack of all trades, master of none as they say. But its a commendable effort all the same, considering the state of FPS games at the time; there wasn't really anything else trying to do as much with gameplay in full 3D as this and Dark Forces 2 were aside from Goldeneye 64. At the end of the day though the fact of the matter is that this game is dated. Movement is clunky, level design is occasionally labyrinthine and esoteric; the way forward is often easy to miss and frequently obscured by a metal grate tucked into a corner that, bafflingly, can only be destroyed by your lightsaber in spite of having a rocket launcher and grenades at your disposal. The presentation and plot is undeniably Star Wars though. At its best, Mysteries of the Sith hearkens back to the "good old days" of the Star Wars franchise, before the prequels and before the expanded universe got wiped out. Still, the aforementioned qualms with the gameplay keep this from being a soaring success in modern times and is best left in the past for all but the most devoted Star Wars fans or those truly interested in the history of PC first-person shooters.

37. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - 14 Hours
JeXr7C4.jpg

What an enormous improvement over the previous game this is. A textbook example of a "generational leap." Everything here is better: movement, lightsaber fights, force powers, level design. The most notable difference is clearly the improvements to lightsaber combat. In previous entries using your lightsaber felt clumsy and unwieldy, there was rarely an instance where you would choose melee combat over mowing someone down with rifles unless the game forced you to. Here, it's almost exactly the opposite: the lightsaber is actually too good and I spent the 2nd half of the game using it almost exclusively. Thankfully it's fun and dismembering storm troopers never gets tedious, however lightsaber fights with other lightsaber users felt like they usually came down to chance. There seems to be an element of waiting for an opening to strike your opponent, but as defending is completely automated it felt random as to when the game would actually let you get a hit in, ultimately leading lightsaber vs lightsaber combat to devolve into button mashing and quick-loading when things didn't go your way. Force powers are streamlined in a major way; about half the powers from Dark Forces 2 are gone and for good reason: they sucked. What's left are eight or so force powers that are upgraded automatically, all have utility and are frequently used in the level design as tools for puzzle solving, something the previous games couldn't really do as there was never a guarantee the player would have skilled the force power necessary to proceed. So between the improved lightsaber combat and force power utility what we have here is a game that frankly, made me feel more like an actual Jedi than any Star Wars game I've played to date (though I have yet to play the KOTOR games so maybe that will change), as opposed to something like Force Unleashed which feels more like you're playing as a super hero. I'm surprised this and (presumably) Jedi Academy aren't referenced more these days as what a good Star Wars game should be because to me, this is the gold standard.

38. Pokemon White - 57.5 Hours
VQV1se7.jpg

It's Pokemon. 90% the same it's ever been. To my surprise I actually appreciated being limited to new Pokemon, it made the game feel more fresh than it would have otherwise. The rival's angle of wanting to free Pokemon from the shackles of being owned and forced to battle was interesting... until he used shackled Pokemon and forced them to fight to achieve his goal. A neat idea that had some serious disconnect between story and gameplay. Overall though, the Pokemon formula has run its course for me and even though I enjoyed White more so than not, I think I'll stick to checking in on the franchise once every 5-10 years.

39. Costume Quest 2 - 8 Hours
DDYqnXz.jpg

A sequel to a game that really didn't need a sequel. Though it's been a number of years since I've played the original, this feels largely the same but less inspired. A little too safe and a little too easy in execution. Absolutely brain dead combat with attack animations that take too long to resolve, and a few quests that are obvious padding make parts of Costume Quest 2 feel like a chore to get through. Fortunately the charm and the laughs are still there so it's not all bad and kept me engaged enough to see it through to the end. Environmental design is sublime, every area is gorgeous to look at. I can't quite put my finger on it but it all just feels kind of unnecessary. The game is fine but I'd rather just go back and play the original.

Spyware

Ah, the "when can I post" thing!
You can do as you wish actually but no one will notice what you write if you only update the "master post".If you want people to read what you post you have to keep posting new stuff, but also update your master post to have a list of games you played!
I like posting a summary of my week on sundays so I do that. Some post whenever they finish any game. It's all fine.
Found another challenge thread where posting more than once a month was seen as "cluttering the thread". I noped out of there pretty fast. It's all free and good in here, post away!

Auctopus

Good game with a few problems.

tomb-raider-banner.jpg

(Finished Story with about 70% collectibles - ~6-7 hours)

Base gameplay is fun, climbing and shooting is satisfying and the environments are pretty cool to traverse through. I also really liked the little nuances like scrambling in combat and using the square button to catch your hand on ledges or pickaxe up a cliffside.

However, the story/plot/characters and writing is all horrible. Lara is the worse thing about the game, sadly. Her ridiculous exposition throughout the game right up until the horde mode boss battle where she says "I've got to save her" to herself, well fucking duh, Lara. I felt like the actress (I wanna say Camilla Luddington?) didn't know what inflection to put upon any of the lines, some of the deliveries were plain bizarre.

Without sounding arrogant as well, I think this is the most predictable game I've ever played. I could feel when enemies were gonna pop up or when I was in a safe climbing zone, I could tell exactly where the story was going on every single point.

Anywho, decent game and I've read a lot of my quarries are fixed in the sequel. Oh yeah, horribly abrupt ending as well.

I've left it with a save point at the last fast travel zone in case I wanna do some exploring this week but I don't know if I will.

Original Post

Game #2, Teslagrad, is in the bag. I thought it was stylistically fantastic with some incredible boss and puzzle designs, but the wonky physics made for some occasional annoyances. Full review.

OP

Next console game: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Next handheld game: Kid Icarus: Uprising

mekes

I always try, and fail. But I'm here again in 2016!

Game 1: XenoBlade Chronicles X - 30 hours + - January (Ongoing)

Game 2: Amplitude - 15 hours + - January I've really been enjoying the game, but find it difficult without the good ol' plastic instrument! The PS4 controller just doesn't feel as intuitive for fast moving sequences on higher difficulties. I'm playing daily tho, and determined to improve. Its great fun, nice to have a game like this in rotation!

Game 3: The Order 1886 - 12 hours - January. Beautiful game that at times seems to go out of its way to spoil any enjoyment you could have playing it. Its a shame to say, but I didn't overly care for the story.

Game 4: Everybody's gone to the Rapture - 12 hours - January. I don't think I've played a game on PS4 that has made me want to capture so many screenshots. Loved the game, great visuals, atmosphere, story and voice acting. Being a Brit I can say The Chinese Room did an amazing job of capturing the English countryside. Recommended.

Game 5: Knack - January

Game 6: Alien: Isolation - 20 hours - January. I remember being a young teenager and being too scared to kill the first zombie on the original Resident Evil. Alien Isolation honestly brings back those sorts of feels for me, I've been on edge for the whole play through! They really did a great job there, I've really enjoyed the game and looking at the price it sells for now it is such an easy recommendation.

Game 7: Assassins Creed: Syndicate - 6 hours - January. I cant take it anymore. I cant play this. Its just a huge chunk of game thrown together where nobody has thought about what would make it fun. Its a stale formula and the same old collector-thon as usual. Last AC I had played was Black Flag which was more interesting for obvious purposes. Why make this? Its a clear move backwards.

Game 8: Darkest Dungeon - 20 hours + - January. This game will make me lose my hair, but I enjoy it. I keep pushing on but I don't know why! Jokes aside, its very fun, I love the art style, music and commentator. Whenever things go wrong I feel like I've missed a trick, its hard but I've always felt like I was close to getting it done. I've been playing in long and short bursts. One of my new go-to games perhaps? Highly recommended.

Game 9: DriveClub - Play often. Ahh DriveClub. You were everything I thought you would be. Now officially up there with my very favorite racers. I eat up every expansion and cant wait for the city tracks to be released.

Game 10: Firewatch - ?? hours - February.

Game 11: Unravel - ?? hours - February.

Game 12: Street Fighter 5 - ?? hours - February.

Game 13: The Witness - 35 hours - February.

Game 14: Q.U.B.E Directors Cut - ?? hours - February.

Game 2: Gitaroo Man Lives - 3 Hours

It was on my stack of old games for the year that I wanted to get through, and of course I picked the shortest one first.

I thought it was neat rhythm game that was fairly shallow, and completely eclipsed in just about everyway by Parappa. The localization/Voice acting sure is hilarious though.

I spent probably a little too long on it because my PSP circle button misses taps once out of every 20 times or so, which made it real tough haha.

OP

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
As much as for my own collection of thoughts on these games as it will be for anyone who cares to read them.

header.jpg

Game #1 Knightmare Tower on Steam. All achievements and in-game missions completed. 5-Jan-2016

One of the many 3 sub-mission/goal type games to have sprung from the influence of Jetpack Joyride comes a game not that far removed from a shoot-em-up perspective and mechanics; Playing as a knight rocketing up toward the top of a tower as enemies spawn below and you must hit A to drop down and slice them up gaining speed and currency to buy upgrades.
A simple game with a simple "high score" purpose ontop of those 3 mission goals each go through. It served well as something to spend an hour or so while waiting on travel here and there.

header.jpg

Game #2 The Old Tree. Saw the ending. 6-Jan-2015

A free point and click adventure game that is more proof of concept than a full title. Hatch a creature and get him through the world so it can see what lies beyond. I doubt it took me 20 minutes from start to finish even with two moments of "blind clicking" due to a poor laptop screen, but that's okay as that's all I needed between a session of a long RTS battle.

BraXzy

I've got my game banner visual down, probably will get sick of making them as I go but ahh well! Two fun multiplayer games added to the list.

eyREAfC.png

GAME 2: Hardware: Rivals - 10+ hours multi - 06/01/2016 - PS4

Vehicles, guns, power ups. Decent concept, not much depth but a lot of fun with friends. Unique super weapon for each map is really cool. Not gonna complain for a free PS Plus game.

pckpfj8.png

GAME 3: Rocket League - 10+ hours multi (Platinum) - 07/01/2016 - PS4

One of the best games of 2015. Football with cars, what more do you need? Brilliant, pure fun! And my first PlayStation Platinum Trophy! I'm sure I'll be playing it for a long while, with Boxes.

septicore

OP

Game 01: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita) 24/12/15 - 07/01/16
I don't what took me so long to play this but WOW, I'm now a fan of the series. The game has been a crazy ride filled with mystery and that's all I can say about the game without spoiling it. If I had to describe the game, its like if Zero Escape and Ace Attorney series had a baby together and this came out.

pnutboy

OP

Game 3- Three Fourths Home (PC, 1 Hr, Completed January 6)

three-fourths-home-41.jpg

Interesting little game. Made me ponder some deep questions about myself, and the writing was very good. It's short, but it's one that will certainly stick with me. I hadn't even heard about this game until Colin Moriarty mentioned it, but I would definitely recommend it to someone looking for a good narrative-driven game. However, it ended too abruptly, just when I felt like I was getting to know the characters. I was hoping for a little bit more substance.

Zareka

Edit: Thanks for that explanation on how the thread works, Spyware. I was panicking a little thinking I was gonna do something wrong and that cleared things up.

I guess I can attempt this year. I doubt I'll actually finish 52 games but hey no harm in claiming a post. On that note,

January

Game 1 - Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3

Absolute gibberish. The campaign was fun to play through with a friend at least. The multiplayer is pretty fun and I'll probably get back to it later.

Game 2 - Tomb Raider Definitive Edition

Solid game. The story was pretty cliche but decent enough. Game was very reminiscent of Uncharted, obviously, but different enough that it didn't feel like a total clone. I enjoyed it overall and will probably pick up ROTTR sometime after it comes out on PC.

Game 3 - Pony Island - 5.9 hours

This was...decent. I bought it almost immediately upon seeing the internet collectively react to it in the same way they did Undertale.
Only one 4th wall breaking moment actually got me. The rest seemed pretty standard fair as far as video games breaking the boundary goes. The gameplay itself did the job, but it wasn't particularly fun and going back to collect all the tickets only served to highlight that fact. The ending didn't have any oomph either but it feels like that's what it was going for.
This was like the anti-Undertale for me. I held off on that game for months, being super cynical about the whole affair. I bought this without hesitation and don't get why everyone's freaking over it. Maybe Undertale spoiled me.

EDIT: Feel the need to update this one. Since writing it's pretty obvious Pony Island had nowhere near the staying power or reach that Undertale did. I was mostly refering to the reviewers I'd seen talking about it, along with Youtube channels and some internet discussions. I've also seen people like Super Bunnyhop agree with me in some reviews. Just acknowledging all this so my Undertale comparison doesn't look as silly as I thought it did a couple weeks down the line. :p

Game 4 - Xenoblade X - Around 105 hours inc. AFK time

Good game that I felt was dragged down to a ridiculous degree due to design decisions. Poorly paced, sparse story, completely forgettable cast, horrendous area progression severely hinder what was a very enjoyable combat system and party mechanics. Also no UK dubbing. They RUINED the Nopon! Another case for my thinking that open world is a hindrance in most cases. Not all, most.

Game 5 - Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

Through everything, I did end up enjoying this game. The gameplay was a HUGE detriment to that however. It's not bad, not at all. But it's not good either. It's incredibly basic and while I appreciate what they tried with it (it really does feel like they tried to do something with it) it never passes the realm of serviceable. It feels like they don't take the tutorial chains off until near the last chapter, and by that point I'd tuned my brain out so much puzzles that just required a little thought felt like a head on collision with the frustration train.

What I did enjoy, though, was the story and characters. While not as gripping as Danganronpa 2's I got invested in UDG's plot around the second chapter or so. I won't go into too much depth for fear of making this look like a CIA document but I enjoyed the villains and the development of the main characters, even if that development was on the cheesy side. The identity crises with the cutscenes was just plain weird, though. You got your usual in engine stuff with canned animations, ass garbage CGI, Lerche? animation and then the usual Danganronpa animation. Why they felt the need to have so many different styles I'll never understand. The music too, Jesus. I'm almost certain there were only 2 different tracks during gameplay and most of the other music was recycled from DR1+2.

Overall, I liked it. I'm glad they got the chance to try something different but I'm also happy that V3 looks to be a return to form. Between this and Conception 2, the only two non visual novel Spike games I've played I'm not hugely confident in their ability to make these different kinds of games. I would truly love to be proven otherwise though. I would not turn down a good (well, better!) Danganronpa spin off.

February

Game 6 - Steins;Gate - About 23 hours, maybe slightly longer. Plat included. (I don't consider a Visual Novel finished until I get the plat.)

Great novel with a gripping story that, once it gets going, will have you hook line and sinker throughout the entire 25-ish hour duration, including the alternate endings. Great characters that are fleshed out moreso than the anime, so it's still a good option for those that may already know how the main story goes. Ah, but to contemplate whether this is a worthy endeavour is meaningless. For it has been written! It is but the choice of Steins Gate! El Psy Kongroo.

Edit: Warning if you value your eyes, the text wrapping in this game can be, a lot of the time, hideous. Words with apostrophes will cut off and resume on the line below should they hit the end of a text box. This is mildly annoying, but the real crime is the text messages. Any word that hits the side of your tiny in game phone screen will chop up. Sure, you get used to it, but it's a way bigger pain in the ass to decipher texts at first than it should be. Definitely my biggest complaint.

Game 7 - HuniePop - 11 hours according to Steam

Initially, I only picked this up for the hilarious dialogue but once I sat down with it for a few hours, I was all in for some match 3 mayhem. It's easy to look at this and write it off as a bad porn game but it's more than that. It's a legitimately great puzzle game that I wholeheartedly recommend if the subject matter doesn't put you off too much. It can get a little repetitive, though, so I wouldn't try and burst through it all in 2 or 3 sittings like I did.

Nicely challenging with a surprising amount of content that just seemed to keep piling on, you can do a lot worse for the price. I'll probably make a separate post for this once I've rested a little. I marathoned this thing all day so my brain is totally fried.

Game 8 - Carpe Diem - 10 minutes

Visual novel of the GENERATION.

Game 9 - Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons - About 3-4 hours, I'm guessing.

What a wonderful little game. I actually bought this years ago on 360 and forgot about it, and ended up recieving a physical PS4 copy for Christmas. I really enjoyed every aspect of this game. The art style, while very Fable-y, was incredibly charming coupled with the gibberish dialogue and exaggeratedly animated characters. The soundtrack was frickin' great, I love Norse style music, and the use of the gamepad was fantastic. I loved how it forced my to rethink how I played games at a basic level with it's unorthodox control scheme, and the way that tied into everything overall (I'm trying to be vague so not to spoil anything) was sublime. Fantastic little game that I loved every moment of. Thanks for the AWOL gift buying, mum.

Games 10-17 are here, I AM NOT REJIGGING ALL THIS. D:<

May

Game 18 - The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

It's Zelda! Awesome game. Best dungeons, best combat. The annoying wolf bits have been toned down a lil. Still didn't fix the music in 'that' section. Epona controls like junk.

Game 19 - New Style Boutique 2: Fashion Forward - 25 hours-ish

Legit great game, not shoverlware. Love character customsation and creators? Don't mind it being locked to female characters? Buy this game! Crazy amount of content, real bang for your buck.

Game 20 - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright - Around 40 hours

LIVED UP TO THE HYPE. The 'easy' route, but I still found it challenging on hard mode. Really feels like a full game in and of itself with no compromises.

June

Game 21 - Gears of War: Ultimate Edition

It's Gears! And Gears is good. Now give me 2 and 3 Remastered.

July

Game 22 - Zero Escape 3: Zero Time Dilemma - Around 25 hours

Life is simply unfair, don't you think?

August

Game 23 - Halo 3 ODST (MCC port)

Favourite Halo campaign. Great music, missions, characters, hub world. Shame firefight isn't in. Great at 60fps. STILL NO RAIN!

Game 24 - Furi

Great game! Really enjoyed it, but I have some personal hangups.

Game 25 - Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (MCC port)

Fun! Holds up! Halo! Woooo!

September

Game 26 - Killzone: Shadow Fall

Solid, fun FPS with some annoying last chapters.

Game 27 - Journey

Decent, pretty game.

Game 28 - Proteus - probably like an hour and a half idk

Kinda weird, kinda creepy, kinda zen, pretty enjoyable.

Games 29-38

Next up! - If I actually get round to it, Malicious Rebirth

Bowlie

Banned
Game #02 - Hitman 2: Silent Assassin [PC] (5 hours, finished in January 7)
0459WbJ.png

I've never played a Hitman game. At that time, I wasn't into stealth games and when I would look at Hitman I'd find it boring. Now that my taste has changed (and I got it for free) I decided to give it a try.
I was dumbfounded at how well-designed were its levels, providing you with many, many ways to approach your target. Hell, I don't see this kind of multiple approach in recent games, and Hitman 2 was made in 2002. But it did influence the genre, as I was able to see that many of its mechanics were adapted to other games.

Original Post

Oreoleo

The List!

40. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy - 7.5 Hours
dsFDtHR.jpg

After the sublime perfection of Jedi Outcast this feels like a poor step backwards in many regards. After a number of games playing as Kyle Katarn with his trusty sidekick Jan Ors, Jedi Academy mistakenly decides to let the player "create-a-character" which really boils down to choosing between a handful of pre-made models and a half dozen or so lightsaber colors. Jan Ors is completely absent and Kyle Katarn is relegated to being the Luigi to Luke Skywalker's Mario. The structure of the previous entries in the franchise is also thrown out in favor of letting the player choose the order the game's missions are played in. This amounts to a bunch of levels that have little to no connection between them and the plot suffers because of it. My initial reaction to the game was that it feels like a Star Wars Greatest Hits then its own proper entry into the Star Wars expanded universe. It felt like I was being constantly bombarded with elements from the movies as though I was supposed to be going, "Oh yeah, I remember that!!" Hoth, Dagobah, Tatooine, Jawas, Tusken Raiders, Rancors, Speeder Bikes, Wampas, Boba Fett, the Millenium Falcon and on and on. The game seriously suffers from a lack of identity, cohesion and focus. Also making an unwelcome return is an expanded list of Force Powers, literally half of which go unused and unneeded for the entirety of the game since the game also once again lets the player acquire and upgrade them at their own will. The level design and puzzle-solving elements seem to have taken a hit as well, with the game instead relying on combat, combat, and more combat to flesh out the proceedings, which wouldn't be so bad if the game wasn't painfully easy to breeze through with only the lightsaber. Gone is the weapon balance of Jedi Outcast, requiring equal use of melee and ranged combat. Here, I was sprinting (Oh, how I longed for an ACTUAL sprint function) through levels, one or two-shotting every single enemy in my path with the lightsaber, or alternatively ignoring them entirely since a lot of levels are so open and underdeveloped you can physically avoid them, and more so because they pose so little threat to the player as you are able to regenerate about half your health at the press of a button. There were rare moments where I was teamed up with other Jedi facing enemy Dark Jedi in 2v2 or group battles where you could actually combo force powers with your allies lightsaber attacks that were real, bonafide FUN, but these moments were exceedingly fleeting. Upon reflection of it all, it's very telling that there was 4 years of development between Jedi Knight 1 (aka Dark Forces 2) and Jedi Outcast, and only 18 months between Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy. To put a random number on it, about 70% of this game's content feels half-baked. However, the game actually ends on a bit of an uptick: the last two levels see a return of the focused, linear design the previous games did so well and would be rather enjoyable if the rest of the game wasn't so poorly conceived that by the time you reach them you just want the whole thing to be over already. This might be an acceptable game for a casual Star Wars fan and a broader audience in general, but for me it is an enormous misstep and Jedi Outcast remains the pinnacle of the Dark Forces/Jedi Knight franchise and possibly even Star Wars games as a whole.

41. Resident Evil 3: Nemesis - 5.75 Hours
vJaMFYp.jpg

I will state up front that the time listed is the in-game completion time and does not include my numerous deaths, which increased my actual play time to somewhere in the 7-8 hour range. It's impossible not to compare Resident Evil 3 to its predecessor. While being quite a good game in its own right, it admittedly comes up just a little short of the Resident Evil 2's perfection. The first half of the game in particular, set in the sprawling streets of Raccoon City, lacks the focus and intimacy of the Spencer Mansion and the RCPD. Running back and forth between Uptown and Downtown collecting items feels less like clever design and gatekeeping and more like busywork with longer routes in between objectives. Fortunately at about the halfway point the game gets you off the streets and back into the more claustrophobic interiors the previous games are known for, and it's little surprise the game's quality increases as soon as it does. The Nemesis itself is also a bit of a mixed bag. Providing almost the sole source of tension in the game (zombies are easily dispatched here with the longer sight lines the streets provide, regardless of their increased numbers from previous installments), his appearances occasionally border on unfair as they are poorly telegraphed and it's possible to find yourself ill-equipped to tank his damage output while attempting to run past him. This really only happened to me once or twice, but compounded with my complaints about the design of the city streets the game hit a real personal low point on the third or fourth encounter that made pushing through that rough patch take some serious fortitude. Aside from that this is pretty much old-school Resident Evil as people know it, and even though you can see the sequelitis seeping in around the edges, Nemesis remains a worthwhile entry into the franchise to this day.

42. Oxenfree - 4 Hours
yOQ3JFp.jpg

An above-average soundtrack and aesthetic doesn't keep this from feeling like a bad Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. The game is far too short to properly flesh out any of the characters, making your choices feel shallow and rudimentary rather than something evoked by emotion or actual engagement with the narrative. Lacking almost any nuance in storytelling, it's very hard not to be dismissive of a game that puts the story so far ahead of the game play and fails at both. I can't get the phrase "Just play Life is Strange instead' out of my head.

43. Resident Evil CODE: Veronica X - 11.2 Hours
8aRgTIf.jpg

After what I felt was a flawed execution in Resident Evil 3, Code Veronica being almost a straight sequel to RE2 was a welcome surprise. Though the Scenario A/Scenario B design of RE2 was a great way to keep the game fresh without making it feel bloated, it left the canon of what actually happened kind of muddled so I was glad to see Code Veronica replace that with a system that swaps between the protagonists at predetermined points. Though it seems commonplace in the franchise these days, with at least RE0 and Revelations 1 making use of nearly identical mechanics since then, in the context of pre-RE4 Resident Evil it's a great way to tell a bigger story without sacrificing the intimacy lost in the post-RE4 sequels. Though this is the first Resident Evil not to take place in Raccoon City, the game stays true to its claustrophobic roots providing a few small maps that will all be well-trodden ground by game's end. And barring two boss battles, the game is kind of a breeze. This could be construed as a negative but after RE3's head-banging difficulty spikes and long routes hustling key items back and forth across the city, the laid-back approach with more locally constrained item quests worked just fine for me. Though at this point the classic RE formula had little left to wow or catch audiences off guard with, Code Veronica is a great bridging of the original PSX games and the globetrotting sequels that came after.

44. Dead By Daylight - 60 Hours
m9aWOUk.jpg

Asymmetrical 1v4 multiplayer under the premise of being hunted by a serial killer. The game is far from perfect: takes too long to grind a character up to an adequate spec, not enough variety in the survivor gameplay to sustain said grind, the balance of the game seems to wildly sweep back and forth between the killer and the survivors based on how the devs feel like balancing things for that month. But the game can be a very unique combination of fun, scary and exhilarating all at once. Sure, this might not have the depth and longevity of a moba or the broad appeal of an Overwatch type shooter but Dead By Daylight is undeniably the only game that plays like Dead By Daylight and even if you only get 30-50 hours out of it before you hit the wall it's time very well spent.

45. Mini Metro - 5 Hours
mZvLlyP.jpg

What I expected to be more of a 'pure' puzzle game with set levels and challenges and solutions ends up being more Tetris-esque in approach. You start with the 3 stations and 3 metro lines as new stations pop up at random and small rewards (a new line, an extra train car) are given out at set intervals. Eventually, just like running out of screen space on Tetris, a station will overflow with impatient passengers giving you the game over. This approach didn't hook me the way something like the cerebral solutions of Hexcells or the more involved "keep all the plates spinning" game play of something like Tropico does. Instead, Mini Metro aims somewhere in the middle and comes up a little short in the end. There is some, but not enough strategic depth, and the complete lack of any long term challenges or goals keeps Mini Metro from being anything but a pleasant afternoon distraction. As an aside: the procedurally generated soundtrack from the whirring of train cars and the bleeps of picking up and dropping off passengers is sublime. If nothing else, the presentation of Mini Metro is outstanding, even if the game play leaves something to be desired.

46. Crysis 3 - 6 Hours
FcsXrOO.jpg

After the much maligned Crysis 2, Crysis 3 ended up much better than I ever anticipated. The most notable improvement, of course, is to the level design. While the first level or two are still rather linear, the game opens up more and more as it progresses, with one or two late game levels being as wide open and large scale as anything in the original Crysis was, which alone makes Crysis 3 better than the second game in the series. However, there are still some shortcomings that make me reflect longingly for the original, like the (slightly) reduced agency that comes from having the suit dumbed down to only "stealth" and "armor" modes, and the serious dearth of any substantial vehicle sections. There's really only one or two times in the whole game where you get to set out and DRIVE a vehicle, everything else is on rails "you shoot while I drive" type of scenarios which was a little deflating each time it happened. No jeeps, no tanks, and certainly no VTOL or helicopters to pilot, just a go-kart that is almost too reminiscent of the buggy in Half-Life 2. Aside from that, the DNA of Crysis' gameplay is mostly intact with the nanosuit powers allowing you to swing wildly between playing like Solid Snake or the Terminator. One thing I was let down by however was the weapon feedback. Very little recoil makes some of the shooting feel artificial and I can't help but make the (perhaps bad) comparison to Call of Duty in its strive for streamlined mechanics. That is perhaps the games biggest failing overall, getting stuck in the trappings and conventions of modern 'AAA' FPS games. For all its successes, Crysis 3 does absolutely nothing to stand out from the glut of mainstream shooters. Everything unique to Crysis 3 was also unique to Crysis 1, nine years ago. It's just a repackaged version of that game with a (seriously freaking gorgeous) fresh coat of paint and a story that trips over its own melodrama as it takes itself far, far too seriously. The game is beyond competent when all is said and done though, with flashes of greatness sporadically popping up through the games duration to keep you invested. But those flashes are tempered by a subconscious feeling of the game being too safe, too similar to too much to really achieve excellence.

47. Battlefield 4 - 6 Hours
hA6OdGo.jpg

Fast food gaming. A low-quality meal that can still be appealing in the sense that you know exactly what you're getting before the plate is even in front of you. Linear, stop and pop, scripted to FUCKING HELL AND BACK design. The sound design is probably the best thing here, every gun sounds punchy and powerful. But that's about where the compliments end. Graphics were surprisingly uneven, with the abhorrent black levels/"brown filter", locked FOV, a random low-res reflection, or ugly LOD model frequently pulling me out of the experience. AI is basically non-existent, with my three or four squad mates perennially standing around, watching and ignoring the lone enemy who flanks me (while running straight through my squad to do so) and guns me down while I kill literally everyone else. Enemy AI absent-mindedly running past me to their scripted positions because I dared move up one waist-high barrier too many. Multiple instances of watching enemies spawn out of THIN AIR because I wasn't exactly where the game expected me to be. A bug in the lone swimming section caused me to SWIM BACKWARDS anytime I collided with an object (which was frequent as it was debris-laden waters), only circumvented by pausing/unpausing and regaining a few seconds of total control before having to pause/unpause once again. Scripting errors in dialog and animations forced me to reload checkpoints as the game "broke" and refused to let me proceed. Battlefield 4 makes Crysis 3 look like a fucking masterpiece in retrospect. The one thing I was pleasantly surprised by was the interpersonal drama between the squad. The members of the squad were (relatively) fleshed out and felt like somewhat real, occasionally flawed people that instilled a sense of camaraderie between them. Except for the player character who somehow gets made squad leader in spite of being completely mute. Campaign was fairly cohesive and easy to follow, never once leaving me to wonder, "Where am I," "How did we get here," or "What's the point of this again" even though the actual plot is mostly pedestrian. The whole thing just feels rote and uninspired, created by a bunch of people who made a campaign because someone forced them to. Just like the people who serve you your fast food.

48. Mirror's Edge Catalyst - 15 Hours
QNHRHXn.jpg

Not as bad as people would have you believe. This is still Mirror's Edge through and through, better than the original in some respects, yet worse in others. Though the game has more content by virtue of the open world, I'm not sure the open world actually manages to justify its existence here. Retreading the same routes multiple times between safe houses is not interesting, and then you unlock fast-travel which makes the open world kind of pointless. It also turns the game into a massive collectathon as DICE seemed obligated to litter it with tchotchkes. I also loved (read: fucking hated) how they spun the changes to combat by saying "We got rid of guns!" but what they neglected to mention was that they replaced it with a totally SHIT melee combat system that disrupted the gameplay even more frequently than the guns and few encounters in the first one did. I liked the way leaderboards and speedrunning was integrated into the game, it's just a shame I couldn't take advantage of it since none of my friends have played the game. But, I'm just happy to have more Mirror's Edge in my life. Bonus points for introducing me to CHVRCHES!

49. Battlefield Hardline - 9 Hours
Q4HahG2.jpg

Battlefield: The Procedural. I was hoping the campaign would be more like a series of Payday-esque heists in the vein of the multiplayer. What I got was a low-key Battlefield campaign where I use a pistol a lot of the time instead of assault rifles and rocket launchers and other large artillery. Under a new IP I think this could have been more successful but it feels too hamstrung by Battlefield trappings to really stand on its own as a game.

50. Hyper Light Drifter - 10 Hours
4XoDhH3.jpg

This would have been a lot better if I didn't have to go scrounging for health packs every couple of rooms. The design of the game suffers because the developers can never be sure of the players health status. Healing mid-dungeon is not trivial. If the player's health was restored upon completing a room, and the difficulty of each room was increased to account for that this would truly be an excellent game. As it is, the combat system is brought down by the other systems in the game. Great to look at, still fun to play, but I can't help but feel like this game doesn't live up to its own potential.

51. Gone Home - 2 Hours
ZXdqfGm.jpg

Knowing this isn't a horror game and having a general idea how the narrative resolves kind of spoils the experience a lot. But if I hadn't had that knowledge beforehand, I would have been disappointed by the bait and switch so it's kind of a lose-lose scenario.

52. Unravel - 6 Hours
LxhN2kf.jpg

A very pleasant surprise of a game. I'll get the fact the game looks gorgeous out of the way- it really does. The environmental design does a good job of making the levels feel like real places you are in rather than just being 2D planes you're traveling across. The game's central mechanic is the player character being made of yarn and unraveling as you progress, and this surprisingly lends itself to some really unique platforming. Lots of rappelling, rope climbing and swinging and tying yourself to objects to pull them over and whatnot. I can't even remember the last time I played a 2D platformer I would describe as "inventive" but Unravel fits the bill 100%. It's a shame it didn't get more widespread acclaim. This would have fit in with the WiiU's library so well, it's the kind of thing you'd hope and expect Nintendo to come up with if they were in the business of creating new IP's.

53. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim - 11 Hours
nVQCdLb.jpg

I've always thought of the Ys series as what Sega's take on The Legend of Zelda would look like. In that respect, this is like The Minish Cap to Oath's Link's Awakening. A good game in its own right, but you know the formula can be done better. I had to do an extra hour or two of grinding and item hunting at the end of the game to be able to take on the final boss which soured me a little, but it was nothing insurmountable. The gameplay is strong enough to support it but it just kind of kills the pacing a little. I also really liked the side story of the NPC that had an unrequited crush on the player character, even though (or maybe because?) it wasn't really developed and was just more of a character trait of the NPC.

54. ABZÛ - 2 Hours
1SV28QU.jpg

Pretty to look at and not much else. Journey this ain't.

55. DOOM - 16 Hours
RuMECNJ.jpg

GOTY 2016. Pretty much everything this game does, it does perfectly (except multiplayer). There is not a weak aspect to speak of. Music, visuals, player movement, enemy design/readability, clear delineation of weaponry; everything has its unique utility and there's very little overlap in performance. It's all best-in-class.

56. Hacknet - 7.5 hours
iQnkm63.jpg

This game was so good, I started it and finished it in the same day. A seven hour game. That happens for me basically never. Even Portal took me two days to beat. Something about the typing-heavy gameplay of using the terminal to hack computers and mess with other PC's filesystems had me completely hooked. Haven't played anything else even remotely similar to this. What an achievement!

57. SUPERHOT - 7 Hours
XN6JzrV.jpg

Everyone knows what this is by now right? A "Time Moves When You Move" FPS. I actually expected the campaign to be more traditional but I can't say I'm disappointed with what I got instead. I *loved* how meta the narrative got and how willing it was to break the fourth wall. Somewhat similar to Hacknet you play from the perspective of a computer user who (unlike Hacknet) downloads some shareware called SUPERHOT.exe, but there is something sinister about it. I won't spoil *too* much, but I thought the part where
you're forced in-game to stop playing the SUPERHOT.exe, resulting in you the player having to actually close the *real* SUPERHOT that you are playing
was so clever and ballsy that the game completely won me over then and there. And this is all before you unlock the post-game Challenge mode where the gameplay truly shines. Tweaking the ruleset (melee only, katana only, guns only have one bullet, etc), and the two different speedrun modes provides a ton of variety and replayability. SUPER HOT SUPER HOT SUPER HOT

Alienfan

Game 1: - Dying Light (5hours+)
Will be sinking more time into this game at some point, but so far, I'm really enjoying it. First game i've ever played in which night time is actually pitch black, and not illuminated by an overly bright grey sky, typical of the ones we usually see in games. It adds a great amount of tension, especially when they introduce the parkouring zombies and night time stealth mechanics. A lot of neat ideas, and a really 'good content drip' as of this point.

Game 2: - Her Story (20min)
Haven't played much yet and can't say I have a good grasp with what's going on (but I guess that's the point), but I love the aesthetics, and the clicky, chunky sounding keyboard :p Will see how this one plays out

Dr. Buni

Game 3: Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows [3DS] --- 4,5 hours played.

rDFWpXb.png

One of the best expansions I have played. Plague of Shadows offers an unique new character with fun new mechanics, a new (great) story, a few new bosses and tons of secrets to find on the already known level.

I actually prefer Plague Knight's campaign over Shovel Knight's. Plague is more fun to play as (that doesn't mean Shovel isn't fun), plus the story is super cute. I haven't even finished vanilla Shovel Knight yet, to be honest, but I should do that the next couple days.

Linkyn

Main Post

Game 05: Life Is Strange

I'd decided relatively early that I definitely wanted to play this one before the GOTY deadline. I don't want to go into too much detail, because I'll probably do a proper write-up in that thread, and I don't want to repeat myself too much.

In short, I really liked it. At times, it was more tense than it has any right to be (
which does make you feel like a bit of a chump once you get to the end
), the rewind mechanic makes the gameplay much more dynamic, and the way that some of the characters and arcs were written felt very real to me (I especially liked the fact that
most of the 'bad' characters do turn out to be good people with flawed methods, even if the 'big twist' was a little predictable
. I still wish we could get a modern, narrative-heavy adventure game with more involved puzzle solving (which would require things like a proper inventory system, so that you can inspect / combine / use items for problem-solving), and unfortunately, Life Is Strange is also plagued by some of the same issues that I'm beginning to feel are inherent to its genre (and the episodic format especially), but it was still really fun and intense to play through. I'm going back in to get the remaining photos / achievements at some point, so I'll probably update my playtime then (similar to how I still want to do a pacifist run in Undertale), bur for now, I'm just really glad that I didn't miss out on this.

Auctopus

One of the best expansions I have played. Plague of Shadows offers an unique new character with fun new mechanics, a new (great) story, a few new bosses and tons of secrets to find on the already known level.

I actually prefer Plague Knight's campaign over Shovel Knight's. Plague is more fun to play as (that doesn't mean Shovel isn't fun), plus the story is super cute. I haven't even finished vanilla Shovel Knight yet, to be honest, but I should do that the next couple days.

I really need to get back to this. I love Shovel Knight but I was so turned off due to the difficulty of the traversal in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom