• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle Rap |OT| Gon watch this work

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Really can't call Roc vs. JJDD. First two rounds are clear, and they both had different problems in the third. I just feel like Roc was slightly more charismatic but pretty forgettable performances on both sides IMO.

Mike P vs. Ave is fire. Ave's a first round monster. I'd would have given Mike P the third until that Illmatic bar from Ave. Much better than Roc vs. JJDD.

DYING @ people screaming "WHAT ELSE!" after a Frozen bar.

"That shit aint right man"
LMAO DAMN SON! He still won though lol.

Both Mike P and Ave are going places though. My thing about Ave is that I honestly find nothing interesting about him. He has punches, but when someone inevitably comes along and bombs on him, I doubt i'll really care about seeing him much again.

Rone VS. Illmac for the chain at Blackout in Feb.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RBE Starting 5 Trailer. Writers Bloque vs. Team Homi.

Danny Myers vs. Swave Sevah
B Magic vs. Money Bagz
Big Kannon vs. Xcel
JC vs. J Murda
Ooops vs. Mack Myron

B Magic vs. Money Bagz will be fire, but the rest of these matchups are wack IMO.

mileS

Would be awesome to get a year in review summary to help decide my top 5 of the year lists. A lot of stuff stands out but sometimes its easy to forget certain battles happened this year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Unbias put out his Top 5 stock dropped list for this year.

HM. Aye Verb
HM. Oops
HM. B Magic
5. Prep
4. T-Rex
3. Math Hoffa
2. Arsonal
1. Charlie Clips

I hadn't seen it but at about 23:45 he puts the footage of Math getting emotional after the Bigg K battle, and fumbling during the Tony D battle and randomly saying he fucked Beasley's girl like damn what? I felt that line Bigg K had about every time I look at you. Goddamn.

Don't agree with his order, but most of those people deserve to be there. I'd probably replace Arsonal with Lux. I'd probably go #1 Clips, #2 Prep, #3 T-Rex, #4 Lux, #5 Math. Man, legends really hurting this year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Forgot about Sno, but his stock has been dropping for a minute already.

Anyways, I've compiled a preliminary list of some of the best battles this year for me to sift through before I make a definitive Top 10. I don't usually put bodies or one sided performances (i.e. Hollow vs. Clips) on these lists. They're in super rough order, but if y'all see any glaring omissions holla:

Rum Nitty vs. Steams
B Magic vs. Ty Law
Conceited vs. Dumbfoundead
Gjonaj vs. Gutta
Tay Roc vs. Calicoe
Tsu Surf vs. Tay Roc
O'fficial vs. Jaz The Rapper
Th3 Saga vs. Prep
Dizaster vs. Dumbfoundead
Gjonaj vs. Born
Iron Solomon vs. Daylyt
Charlie Clips vs. Marvwon
Bigg K vs. Ill Will
Tay Roc vs. Brizz Rawsteen
Goodz vs. Ah Di Boom
Chess vs. Rum Nitty
Danny Myers vs. Chilla Jones
Craig Lamar vs. Xcel vs. Danja Zone
Ill Will vs. Showoff
Ill Will vs. Big Kannon
Chilla Jones vs. Math Hoffa
Pat Stay vs. Hollow Da Don
Pat Stay vs. Charron
Goodz vs. Ah Di Boom
Chef Trez vs. B Magic
Bing Nation vs. Fettucine20

This a random list of the battles I enjoyed the most this year

Danny Myers-Chilla Jones
JC-Psychoses
Bigg k- Ill will
Daylyt- Iron solomon
Daylyt-Oops
Daylyt-O Red
Thesaurus- Fresco
Danja Zone-Lotta Zay
Gjonaj-Born
Gjonaj-Gutta
JC- Big Kannon
JC-Ah Di Boom
Ave-Mike P
Born-Xcel
K shine-Aye Verb
Chilla-Math
Official-Jaz
Mr Mills-Big Kannon
Young Kannon-Steams
Danja Zone-Danny Myers
Rum Nitty-Chess
Rum Nitty-Steams
Raptor VS. Big Kannon
Raptor VS. Tony D

Top 5 Battles Of 2015

1.Daylyt-Iron Solomon
2.Bigg K-Ill Will
3.Danny Myers-Chilla
4.JC-Big Kannon
5.Gjonaj-Born

Furyous

Unbias put out his Top 5 stock dropped list for this year.

HM. Aye Verb
HM. Oops
HM. B Magic
5. Prep
4. T-Rex
3. Math Hoffa
2. Arsonal
1. Charlie Clips

I hadn't seen it but at about 23:45 he puts the footage of Math getting emotional after the Bigg K battle, and fumbling during the Tony D battle and randomly saying he fucked Beasley's girl like damn what? I felt that line Bigg K had about every time I look at you. Goddamn.

Don't agree with his order, but most of those people deserve to be there. I'd probably replace Arsonal with Lux. I'd probably go #1 Clips, #2 Prep, #3 T-Rex, #4 Lux, #5 Math. Man, legends really hurting this year.

This is his best list IMHO as it serves Math humble pie. Clips is due to retire in 2016 after two battles, allegedly. Arsonal is ass outside of his disrespect so nothing is new there.
Basically this list should be called please retire.

Everyone's going to have inconsistent performances as they take battling as a career. If the legends battled once or twice a year then no one could say shit to them. Verb only lost because New York crowds hate him. It's starting to look like Diz did to Math what Math did to Dose: essentially end Dose's career. Coming back years later doesn't count as Dose was never the same.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I got Bigg K 2-1. Math's 2nd was the best round of that battle though. Close to debatable but I think K got it.

Is it just me or is that Myverse 3-0 clearly? She had way more potent material. The fuck was Bonnie thinking using an angle about someone else fucking a bunch of battle rappers?

I got Bigg K 2-1. Math's 2nd was the best round of that battle though. Close to debatable but I think K got it.

Is it just me or is that Myverse 3-0 clearly? She had way more potent material. The fuck was Bonnie thinking using an angle about someone else fucking a bunch of battle rappers?
I agree actually, I really wanna give Bonnie the second. But Myverse smashed all three rounds to be perfectly honest. They both came with good material though. Also yeah that angle was terrible, she made it worse for herself when Myverse went in.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL Pittsburgh Card Announced, trailer soon:

Real Deal vs. Aye Verb
E-Ness vs. Steams
Th3 Saga vs. Swave Sevah
Heartless vs. Karnak Illz (sp?)
Jai vs. Tink Da Demon
Potentially Rum Nitty vs. EC dude (says he might be battler of the year; Suge, Shine, Danja or Chilla?)

URL Pittsburgh Card Announced, trailer soon:

Real Deal vs. Aye Verb
E-Ness vs. Steams
Th3 Saga vs. Swave Sevah
Heartless vs. Karnak Illz (sp?)
Jai vs. Tink Da Demon
Potentially Rum Nitty vs. EC dude (says he might be battler of the year; Suge, Shine, Danja or Chilla?)

With the exception of Nitty (if that even happens) I don't think I care about any of this. I thought Mike P and Tink were going at it...probably another card.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Favourite bars/punches/sequences of the year? This year had a ton.

Ty Law against B Magic

Swear to god Fox choked you, n***a. Swear to god Fox choked you, n***a.
I he hard? Naw.
Cali n***as witnessed that you ain't tough as your bars are.
Wrestling hold? Psychologically, that's a large scar
All of those gun punches and he finished you with an arm bar?

Xcel against Beach

They set you up to catch these bars, so you're the fall guy
My punches crack your ribs, leave your chest plate with fault lines
I will holla if your broad's fine
Bag her, then rob you, then take her out on y'all dime

letsgobiiiitch.png

Infinite hype.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can def understand placing Tay Roc high, he had two debatable high profile matches with Surf and Calicoe and a really good battle with Brizz too.

I can see arguments for most of the people who placed high: Shotgun Suge, K-Shine, DNA, Tay Roc, Danja Zone, Chilla. I'm still on the fence between a few of those, when initially I thought it was Danja clearly.

letsgobiiiitch.png

Infinite hype.

tumblr_m53cslGxCy1ro1p8c.gif

also welcome back fam

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Here goes my year-end wrap up, the ordering is super rough, because TBH I think the top 4 or 5 stand above all the other battles and the Top 15-25 are kind of equal in quality. Not everyone has the same tastes here (and nobody can watch everything) so I want to hear what y'all liked and why, so I encourage others to do this as well.

Best Battles of the Year:

1. Rum Nitty vs. Steams
2. B Magic vs. Ty Law
3. Th3 Saga vs. Prep
4. Bigg K vs. Ill Will
5. Conceited vs. Dumbfoundead
6. Gjonaj vs. Gutta
7. O'fficial vs. Jaz The Rapper
8. Tay Roc vs. Calicoe
9. Danny Myers vs. Chilla Jones
10. Chilla Jones vs. Math Hoffa

Battler of the Year: Chilla Jones
Battled Math, Con and Diz, and now a rookie on the menu?
It's a fucking mismatch, just for putting me against you
I'm nice with the grammar-see? (Gramercy) That's why they booked me for the venue.

- The way I look at it, Danja Zone has a better record than Chilla (Chilla lost to 100 Bulletz at the top of the year, smfh) but didn't face as good competition. Tay Roc also had a good year, with two big grudge matches with Surf and Calicoe, and still managed to make both of those debatable. Ultimately, I think the legends Chilla battled are one tier above the Calicoes and Surfs, and he also managed to make those debatables or wins, while ALSO providing classic bodybags and rounds outside of those marquee match ups with Prep and Danny most notably. Chilla had the full package, and it shows.

Rookie of the Year: Gjonaj
- I know one of his battles actually happened in the Summer of 2014, but IMO none of the rookies of 2015 showed more promise than Gjonaj, even after getting bodied by Dizaster. He's still the most talented and probably has the biggest ceiling to work towards in 2016 and beyond.

Moment of the Year: Hollow destroying Clips' style as Clips comes unprepared to the biggest battle of his career
I ain't saying your shit wack
But bro, it's the same move every time you kick that
Set up punchline, set up punchline, that's how you spit that?
Just a candy rapper with 4 bars th- See how easy it is to predict that?

Performance of the Year: Fresco vs. The Saurus
- There were a LOT of great performances this year, and perhaps greater overall or more well-rounded performances, but Fresco gets this one because people just kind of forgot about him and when he came back it was like dude got possessed by a punchline demon or something so it had that surprising element that pushed it to a whole other category.

Bar of the Year: Rum Nitty against Steams
I run up on his whip, if he try and Speed
I'll have to buss over 50, I'm Keanu Reeves

League of the Year: URL (or Don't Flop?)
- Reflecting on my top battles of the year, most of them are on URL. They delivered many high profile big and small room matches that gave us 6 great rounds. Roc and Calicoe, Gjonaj and Gutta, B Magic vs. Ty Law, Rum Nitty and Steams, O'fficial & Jaz, Th3 Saga vs. Prep, the list goes on. I think they kind of owned this year as the competition was fairly weak unless 2-on-2s are your thing, TBH. Honestly it was a great year for every league in their own way. RBE secured a lot of the best match ups of the year, KOTD pushed out probably the greatest quantity of good content this year, and DF's expansion and what they've been doing with the 2-on-2s has perhaps been the most influential with KOTD and URL also feeling the pressure to conquer more markets, both physically and within battle rap. I feel like DF are the most influential this year, if you're going off of influence and not necessarily battle quality.

Best Comeback: Shotgun Suge
- I mean, Shotgun Suge was essentially one of the worst popular battle rappers before this year and he turned things around considerably. He's at the top because he had the furthest distance to climb and he did it. The Charron battle last year helped, but that could have been a one time affair, and it wasn't. Honourable mentions include Ty Law, K-Shine, Dizaster and Danja Zone.

Biggest Disappointment: Charlie Clips
- After hyping up his battle with Hollow and promising not to have any excuses this time, Clips walked in unprepared and got his soul snatched permanently in Hollow's first round. I think what makes this disappointing is not that Clips had a shitty performance, because we're used to that now, but that it cemented that Clips is far past his prime and his legacy is essentially tarnished. He hasn't had any great performances since (his last good one was probably Marvwon?) and I think it goes without saying that Clips took himself out of the GOAT conversation long ago.

Best Crew: Writer's Bloque
- There's more of them that have been having consistently good performances (Danja, Chilla, Steams, Chef Trez, Magic). It's really just K-Shine with a side of DNA if you're talking NWX.

Bodybag of the Year: Danja Zone bodying Lotta Zay.
- Sorry, but nothing beats your opponent throwing the towel in literally and the video editing showing your death GTA style. As a huge Zay fan, this hurt me. Honourable mentions include Real Deal bodying Sno, Hollow bodying Clips, Dizaster bodying Gjonaj and Chilla bodying Prep.

mileS

Nice list and write up man. Def some battles that I missed out on there. Will check them out over the next couple of days.

Great write up dude. Actually better than the BOTY articles on battle rap.com imo.

Watching Brizz vs DNA now and Brizz is snapping in the 1st. His performance has improved noticeably and he's super back in his violent imagery bag.

mileS

Just goes to show how slow some people are. Sometimes the more the crowd reacts it will just snowball. Before people can comprehend the line, people react which will cause others to react too. I would straight hate myself if I gave that any reaction.

DNA was ok, his 3rd was straight. He had some garbage punchlines and some decent ones. I think Danja at least edged him every round though.

Clips and Suge is out, haven't seen it yet. I heard it was trash.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
URL: Charlie Clips vs. Shotgun Suge

The opening of this battle is prob the best part

Let's get one thing straight, you know I keeps the chrome, n***a
Let's get another thing straight, we both lost to Charron, n***a

EDIT: Clips' 3rd was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overhyped. Battle is mediocre, but Suge did a bit better I'd say.

Top Bottom