• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STASIS |OT| An isometric sci-fi horror adventure game inspired by Alien & Sanitarium

I wish I could remember immediately, but I can't. There are a few dedicated Stasis playthroughs on YouTube, I'd scan them to the point you're at and backtrack.

It's not called a laser gun, it's called something else. plasma something or other? Some kind of tool. It's just sitting on a table in one of the rooms. Once you get past the robot, there is an elevator to the next floor up, and a part of the floor that lights up when you stand on it. You have to be standing on that spot to use the tool and shoot the tank

Thanks guys, yeah it was the
'Slug Gun' - found it in a toolbox in the room you start the area in. I then remembered I had actually gone through that box the first time I started the level, but then got shot by the robot. When I reloaded, the game did its habitual annoying trick of having an unskippable cutscene play out right before an instadeath moment, so I went and got a drink while that did its thing, then in my mind I had already cleared that room so I just went on with the rest of the level.

Just completed the game now, I have to say some of those end game environments were stunning. The plot kinda fell apart though; I couldn't for the life of me figure out the reasoning behind any of the characters' actions.

Why doesn't John put himself in the second escape pod?

Why is The'ah suddenly evil? She explains that Cayne had gotten her husband killed so she was going to expose their shady business - alright, that's a motivation for something... but there was no discernible reason for her to suddenly be a villain. After all that time on the ship, the only thing that would suffice would be to cart off John's wife? It would have made more sense for that character to be the one you read about in the logs in the experimentation labs who was already selling Cayne secrets and was also a complete asshole.

What was the final stinger supposed to be? John didn't notice when he was looking in the pod that his wife was no longer human? Bit of an oversight... And I thought the whole deal was that these creatures were new entities, not mutated humans. Or was she just dead?

Nothing about Manan's actions make any logical sense, but I guess he was just a stereotypical evil dude, so fair play to him. Usual vague 'I will be the ruler of a new superior race, fuck all y'all!' stuff.

I'll have a read through the spoiler bars in the thread and see if I missed some stuff that might answer any of my questions. Overall I enjoyed it though, and it's a fantastic release for such a small team. Managing to create a genuinely atmospheric and at times actually scary isometric game is a real achievement. Sound design was also top notch.

Edit: The writing was decent, on the whole, but one thing that kept throwing me out of the experience that I wanted to mention was the continual tonal dissonance between descriptive texts and in the logs, like the game can't decide whether it wants to be serious and create an atmosphere or make sarcastic quips all the time. I noticed it a lot throughout the game, but one that really stood out to me is (endgame)
in the room with the three pregnant women. After cutting the life support, which is a really poignant scene, one of the womens' descriptors is something like 'Her chest no longer rises and falls, her suffering is finally at an end' and then literally the woman next to her's descriptor is like 'Her face is frozen in death, but her expression could be a bit more grateful'. I literally said out loud 'What the hell is that?' Way to ruin a good moment.

Cosmonal

Neo Member
Loved Stasis so much. Very detailed isometric art, those guys love sci-fi, Ridley Scott, John Carpenter and Dead Space more than me :)

Someone here knows something more about the DLC? I wasn't a kickstarter backer, so will just buy the DLC on GoG when it's avaiable (it will be?).

Thanks guys.

cayne1-750x410.png

http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/blog/2016/01/and-when-the-dust-settles/

…AND WHEN THE DUST SETTLES…

We did it. We released a game! STASIS hit the digital shelves in late 2015. The culmination of thousands of hours, sleepless nights, copious amounts of coffee, and more than a few good old emotional breakdowns. After its release, it felt like a weight was lifted from one of my shoulders and then promptly shifted onto the other!

Patches, user support, interviews, marketing, and then more patches – in a way it felt when the game was complete the real work could start. And start it did! Nic and Kristal did masterful jobs at keeping everything afloat while I attempted some sort of emotional recovery from the 2 years of crunch time I’d just gone through.

I’ve heard people say ‘never read internet comments‘ and I ignored them. I can tell you that I obsessively googled STASIS for weeks after the launch and still find myself doing searches now. It’s hard not to.

We made STASIS for people to play and for people to enjoy. To publish it and then move onto something else instantly just seemed so…heartless. Thankfully, players loved it.

The feedback we got was excellent and I took it all in, both good and bad. I’ve read every Steam comment, thousands of forum replies, and hundreds of reviews. I’ve watched a lot of YouTube Let’s Plays and Twitch steams (even those in languages I don’t understand). I’ve consumed the feedback from STASIS like a dying man who finds an oasis, and it’s been thirst-quenching, even with the occasional mouthful of dirt.

STASIS is a game that we’re incredibly proud of. I personally grew more as an artist in the last 2 years of solid development, than I have in the previous 10 years of doing it professionally. And after all of that, what did we decide to do? Yep, we decided to do it all again.

The Brotherhood is now running as a full time development studio. We can officially call ourselves game developers with a straight face and an enormous sense of pride! We asked ourselves, “where to from here?” as we’d already completed much of the graphic content for the Cayne chapter so that was the most logical thing to tackle… but we aren’t people who take the easy route for anything. So we made the difficult decision to build Cayne from the ground up, and apply all of the lessons we’d learned from STASIS to create the best experience we can.

While STASIS provided a foundation for our future projects, Cayne will most certainly be providing the brick and mortar. We’re going to use Cayne to test out new ideas, technologies, and a new workflow that has both Nic and I working full time.

Our future games will be created around this core, and what we have coming up is going to astound, disgust, and amaze you.

WHAT ARE WE DOING DIFFERENTLY?

STASIS started off as a hobby project, and during production much time was spent trying to get things working. While I wouldn’t consider this time wasted (I discovered a lot of ways how NOT to do things), we’re going into this new chapter with a better knowledge of how our future games need to be put together.

The interface, for example, appears simple, but it took countless iterations to get the workings and feel we wanted. We can now take that R&D time and funnel it into other aspects.

While the 2D characters in STASIS were wonderful, we want our next games to use a 2.5D system with 2D pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D characters. This allows us to have smooth transition animations and an unlimited number of directions for the character. More importantly, it eliminates a step that was needed when getting the characters into the game.

In STASIS, I needed to animate everything, render it out, set it up in a scene, tweak it, re-adjust if necessary, re-render, tweak… This process took an enormous amount of time with the results sometimes being less than satisfactory. By using 3D characters that are rigged with bones, I can animate and import them directly into the game and see what adjustments need to be made.

I can’t explain how satisfying it is to see something in-engine a few seconds after I’ve finished the animation. Less time spent with the technicalities of importing into the engine means more time spent on getting the movement and animation flawless.

Lighting was a challenge in STASIS because it required more planning for even the most basic ‘special’ lighting. A scene had to be constructed in After Effects before it got added into the engine which allowed for almost no iterative design adjustment when it was in. How it came out in render was how it looked in the game.

In Cayne, we’re using Normal Maps and other techniques to get more dynamic lighting. Shader systems allow us to tint the scenes and adjust the mood of the rooms in real time, again allowing a more fluid nature to the games creation. Seeing adjustments to the game as you play it is both satisfying and helpful from a design standpoint. ‘The freedom to experiment’ is SO important in art, and using new systems allows us flexibility, especially where we can overlap the technical expertise with the artistic vision.

I want to push the design of Cayne into new directions. Cayne will portray more of Nic and my personal game styles – in all aspects, from the story to characters and environments. We want to bring in something slightly different to STASIS universe to challenge ourselves. But Cayne is set in the same universe, so we aren’t going to stray too far from our 80s roots.

The work we’re doing will hopefully blow your minds, because the passion is palpable and the excitement we have for the future is tangible. It’s going to be a wild ride.

derExperte

Good to hear that this is considered a success by the devs too, it's my top 10 of 2015 and I'm looking forward to Cayne. Just take your time, I wouldn't mind if it goes beyond a short DLC and becomes a full game.

How long is the game?

Took me 8hrs with reading all PDAs I could find and going for the
suicide/death
achievements which seems to be right in the middle of the playtimes of my Steam-friends.

I just realized I backed this and was getting all the update emails from Kickstarter, but when I login it's not listed under the stuff I backed. :(

Will check on steam later today.

http://thebrotherhoodgames.com/blog/

Nic and I have moved our office to Cape Town in the Western Cape of South Africa. Wow! This is a beautiful city, right at the tip of Africa. But amazing ocean views aside, we are now in full game production mode.

slaapstad.jpg

CAYNE will not be traditional DLC – you won’t need STASIS to play it. It’s also a self-contained story that ties back to STASIS without ruining the story.

The game itself is starting to draw together with the main framework of the engine already complete. We’re now moving onto the sound design for the completed areas and pushing this aspect further than we did with STASIS. Footsteps have distinct sounds depending on surfaces, sound is now directional and can be played based on distances.

The already completed musical score will be added too!. The musical score is incredible, with three different composers providing a unique texture and soundscape.

We have been polishing the game – oh, how obsessed with are will polishing our work! – with all the small effects that we’d have loved to do in STASIS, but just didn’t have the time or the technology to implement them. For example, a subtle light that our protagonist emits that let’s you find her easily on the screen, and beautiful 2D shader effects to bring liquids to life and particles get caught in shafts of light.

The art asset list is slowly getting shorter. While the overall CAYNE environment is smaller than STASIS, we’re trying to push the visuals into new and varied directions with a focus on both body horror and psychological terror. Ha!

A final draft of the dialogue is almost complete and we’ll be searching for our voice actors to go on this journey with us. Ryan Cooper (the voice of John) is back on the team – and we can’t wait to start working with him again!

The writing of the diary entries is complete with the writers providing some of the most disturbing entries and narratives I’ve ever read.

Multi-platform support is also being implemented from the ground up, and we now have CAYNE playing properly on both Mac and Windows. And, the bonus is, we’re also working on the long awaited Linux port of STASIS! The IOS version of STASIS is also in the works. It is a complete engine re-write by a mobile expert specifically for Apple devices.

We’re planning on crowd funding our next game and think that CAYNE will be a perfect example of what we intend on producing.

P S
The video documentary reward for backers is also in planning – although I really do need to get a haircut before we start shooting the final video footage.

I will leave you with an HD screenshot from CAYNE:

Cayne_Birthing_logo-1024x576.jpg

NO LOGO: i.imgur.com/FHITamQ.jpg

LOGO: i.imgur.com/VRH7suU.jpg

Sounds great! Really looking forward to checking it out and hopefully you guys are working on some more disturbingly great death scenarios hahaha. Keep up the good work.

Lister

Banned
It's on my wishlist, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Going to remedy that this weekend. I remember spotting the game a loooong time ago and just seeing the screenshots blew my mind.

drotahorror

Hype for Cayne. I really need to play Stasis, I bought it day 1 but just haven't got around to it :( I definitely plan on hitting it up soon.

Thanks!

As for the release, we are planning a whole marketing thing with Cayne - but it will be well before the end of the year.
While it is a short chapter we are trying to make it the best damned quality small chapter that we can make!

The release will be in tandem with the announcement of our next large scale project (which is freaking amazing...like AMAZING) - so it will be a busy time for us!

Agremont

Thanks!

As for the release, we are planning a whole marketing thing with Cayne - but it will be well before the end of the year.
While it is a short chapter we are trying to make it the best damned quality small chapter that we can make!

The release will be in tandem with the announcement of our next large scale project (which is freaking amazing...like AMAZING) - so it will be a busy time for us!

Oooo exciting!

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Bookmarking this because I have wanted to play this since its announcement but keep forgetting the goddamn name. Grumble.

http://playcayne.com/

From the developers of STASIS, the critically acclaimed, isometric adventure game comes: CAYNE.

FREE
CAYNE will be absolutely free to download and enjoy. It is a freestanding chapter, so you won't need STASIS to play CAYNE. It will be available on STEAM and directly from this site.

NEW
CAYNE has been created from the ground up to be able to support numerous incorporated features like higher resolutions, and particles and post effects.

STORY
CAYNE is an adjunct to STASIS. But don't worry - it's spoiler free, if you haven't played STASIS yet!
Hadley wakes in a facility. She is 9 months pregnant. They want her baby...

You can get more info and screenshots over at http://playcayne.com/

3.jpg

GKFinns

That's amazing! I was a huge fan of Stasis, and to find out this will be a free addition to that is simply incredible.

Great job!

Thanks!

With a free release we are hoping to introduce many more people to the world of Stasis - AND we are using a lot of new technology so its good to test it out before we move to our next large scale project!

spannicus

Thanks!

With a free release we are hoping to introduce many more people to the world of Stasis - AND we are using a lot of new technology so its good to test it out before we move to our next large scale project!
Looks awesome cant wait to play it. Stasis is amazing. Definitely looking forward to whatever else you guys are doing.

STASIS

www.stasisgame.com

STASIS came kicking and screaming into the world a year ago this month and many adventure gamers worldwide have joined John and his journey through The Groomlake. STASIS being even a small part of adventure gamers' lives is a truly humbling experience. To me, it is more than just a game - it's true creative freedom and a gift that I don’t think I could ever quantify. I still think back to the morning that I started up my computer, put on Event Horizon, and started playing around with this tiny seed of an idea; an image of a stasis pod and it's occupant of bone, strung up with wires.

CAYNE

www.playcayne.com

Since the release of STASIS and our subsequent migration into full time game development, Nic and I have created CAYNE. What started off as a stretch goal chapter has become an entire standalone game that can sit proudly in the STASIS universe. Hadley’s story came about around my emotions of releasing STASIS, and seeing how much a family can change with the birth of a child. She may be a fictional character but she carries the weight of a family and our collective experiences.

CAYNE TRAILER:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f99QQf4l_w

CAYNE is in final phase production. Yes, nearly there! We're tweaking animations and sounds, and working through to check its flow. Already, we've decide to add in additional animations and content where we feel it will most benefit the story and game. It can be both a fun and frustrating experience, but being this close to the finish line gives us a daily rush of adrenaline that counteracts the tediousness of replaying the same game area over and over again! Backers will get to play CAYNE before everybody else (don't worry!), so stay tuned for more details.

CAYNE is coming soon...

OUR NEXT GAME!

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION

www.desolationgame.com

Several years ago we had an idea for an adventure story set in a post-apocalyptic world. During our brain storming sessions, we kept circling back to a particular story. It was pushed to the sidelines while the STASIS story blossomed. But now that we want to do something different outside the STASIS universe, and still create an experience that fits into our niche of point-and-click, isomeric adventure games.

BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION will push our game design and graphic production further, and it's a process that we want you to be a part of yet again.

www.desolationgame.com

You can see the full HD version (with sound) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IkbdiJCrwo&feature=youtu.be

http://i.imgur.com/693aCpU.gif

Herds of strange creatures roam the world of Desolation.

http://i.imgur.com/dFPsDnd.gif

The ship and the environment was created using 3D scanned miniatures, and then augmented with additional 3D modeling and 2D painting.

http://i.imgur.com/2QPKcML.gif

Finding shelter from a raging thunderstorm.

We will have more information on the crowd-funding of BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION but until then, please visit the site, watch and share the video and enjoy these early screenshots.

xyhAomy.jpg

jMWMSTN.jpg

hxwN0Jb.jpg

inm8num2

tndezTI.gif

Gorgeous. Can't wait to hear more about Beautiful Desolation! Those creatures look like giraffes either with strange headsets or some kind of grotesque deformities. I'm guessing it's more of the latter. ;)

Also looking forward to CAYNE's impending release.

Top Bottom