• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STASIS |OT| An isometric sci-fi horror adventure game inspired by Alien & Sanitarium

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Anyone else having problems with the game running bigger than the actual resolution in full screen mode in the Steam version? No matter what I change the ini to, it runs way off the edge of the screen.

anyone else having the issue where if you move your mouse off the top or bottom of the screen, you get a windows mouse pointer? then if you click anywhere, it switches to the desktop. super annoying

win 10 pro 64 bit

edit - got it, xp sp3 compability mode fixed it

Bullshit. I don't need Blizzard quality cinematics. I'm talking about compression and judder. Those things you can do right independently of your budget.

The problem isn't you criticizing; it's you seemingly letting these small things ruin your impression of the game on its good merits.

I've gotten pretty deep into it as well (kinda stuck atm, but whatevs), and there are things I'd prefer myself both technically and creatively, but I don't feel that being enough to weigh down my impression of the game. And I certainly wouldn't mention those negatives without being constructive about them at least.

That's the real issue now that I think about it: your lack of constructive criticism.

I don't understand why one can't complain about technical issues without being jumped at. It's a terrible first impression when you're greeted with microblocking. Not to mention the art in-game is also horribly compressed and the game doesn't scale to modern resolutions at all. Sanitarium's art looks better at times although of course it isn't in a widescreen ratio.

Buy the game from Nuuvem, official games seller and well trusted on neogaf. I've used them dozens of times.
Again, that isn't really the issue. It's that they don't balance out that criticism with solutions or saying what they did like about it.

It's not exclusive to them; hell lack of constructive criticism is an epidemic everywhere.

MaLDo

That's the real issue now that I think about it: your lack of constructive criticism.

Again, that isn't really the issue. It's that they don't balance out that criticism with solutions or saying what they did like about it.

It's not exclusive to them; hell lack of constructive criticism is an epidemic everywhere.

Then is a lack of reading comprehension in your side.

PROBLEM: Cinematics have lots of compression artifacts.
SOLUTION: Use less compression factor or better codecs.

PROBLEM: Cinematics have constant and annoying judder.
SOLUTION: Encode them at 30 fps instead of 25.

PROBLEM: Dialogs can't be skipped.
SOLUTION: Jump to next line every mouse click even when this could produce audio skips.

PROBLEM: ALT + F4 doesn't quit the game in some circunstances.
SOLUTION: Every time this key combination is captured, quit the game.

voila_logo.gif

Then is a lack of reading comprehension in your side.

PROBLEM: Cinematics have lots of compression artifacts.
SOLUTION: Use less compression factor or better codecs.

PROBLEM: Cinematics have constant and annoying judder.
SOLUTION: Encode them at 30 fps instead of 25.

PROBLEM: Dialogs can't be skipped.
SOLUTION: Jump to next line every mouse click even when this could produce audio skips.

PROBLEM: ALT + F4 doesn't quit the game in some circunstances.
SOLUTION: Every time this key combination is captured, quit the game.

voila_logo.gif
Lack of foresight on yours.

Dialogs can't be skipped? Doesn't matter. Most of the dialogs that go on, you can still walk around and continue your play as they're spoken.

Alt + F4 doesn't quit? Is it REALLY asking you too much more to just click the icon to the Main Menu, and then select Quit Game? Like...really?

Cutscenes have compression artifacts? Maybe the work rig could only handle that much when rendering them, or it's an engine limitation or they didn't want the file size to be any bigger than it already was?

....And boom goes the dynamite.

EDIT: Your avatar says it all. This level of nitpicking and non-constructive criticism....you've gotta be trolling.

BadWolf

Alright I'm stuck. Project SEED area:
Just destroyed the sentry robot, no idea what to do next.

Go forward past where the robot was guarding and you can take the elevator up to the upper platform.

From there
Freeze the closed door with that nitrogen container you found and then shoot the door with that energy gun thing

carlsojo

And that's a wrap. Kind of a disappointing game.
You never have to deal with the hybrids, it's always a killer robot or turret. The monsters just kind of run around and make scary noises but I don't even think there's an instance where you can be killed by them except for that one where they drag you into the cloning pool. Super predictable plot against nefarious doctor villain #7 with assistance from sexy but mysterious lady #87 who surprise, surprise betrays you in the end. The game channels Dead Space like crazy with the fleshy fungus spreading all over the station. There's even a Plasma Cutter in the endgame!

mStudios

Enjoyed the game a lot!
But it lacks of horror... there one or two parts where makes you say "oooh" but that's it.

A solid 8/10 in my book.

MaLDo

Lack of foresight on yours.

Dialogs can't be skipped? Doesn't matter. Most of the dialogs that go on, you can still walk around and continue your play as they're spoken.

Alt + F4 doesn't quit? Is it REALLY asking you too much more to just click the icon to the Main Menu, and then select Quit Game? Like...really?

Cutscenes have compression artifacts? Maybe the work rig could only handle that much when rendering them, or it's an engine limitation or they didn't want the file size to be any bigger than it already was?

....And boom goes the dynamite.

EDIT: Your avatar says it all. This level of nitpicking and non-constructive criticism....you've gotta be trolling.

Man, I bought a product and I can share its problems. This irrational persecution is stupid. So I am pedantic, I'm not constructive, I'm a troll, I don't want to play the game and now I have a lack of foresight.

You should look for a mod to remove me from the thread before I can play the game because if I don't like the gameplay I could say so in a public place.

Just add, the problem with Alt + F4 is not that doesn't work. The problem is the key combination result is inconsistent. Sometimes means quit game, sometimes means skip cinematic.

derFeef

Is this as good as Sanitarium? Sanitarium's early level with the child village was horrifying and extremely memorable.

No. The build-up in Stasis is really great but it does not go anywhere and feels a bit flat the more you play it. I still highly recommend it.

derExperte

Released on Saturday but didn't see it posted, text got increased and they fixed an issue with high refresh rates which afair someone had a problem with:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/380150/discussions/1/527274088396835682/

1.0.6 RELEASED
POINT RELEASE:

Fixes include:

# Increased time to exit morgue to ensure higher refresh rates can exit
# Reworked hydro explosion to higher refresh rates dont mess up
# Increase size of tram crash exit points
# Fixed PDA screen remaining on exit of GAS door lock
# Show mouse - very rare (1 report so far) on crew annex - now forced to show, cannot recreate but added function to force mouse to show
# Tweaked waypoint in clone vats
# Increased Font size 3 points (ALL)
# Sometimes clone moans didnt end and followed the player to other areas - added function to kill these sounds - dead!
# Fixed bug towards end that could occur with pdt
# Took out Te'ah portrait flash after tram crash
# Fixed missing logs in Russian and Polish
# Fixed German spelling
# Connected missing 'sting' sound effect to Main Lab computer log
# Added in pause to opening of power cell in mutagen lab
# Fixed bug causing John to pause in Stasis lab
# Fixed walking behind forcefield bug
# Altered text spacing slightly to fit puzzle computers

We are working on an overall fix to try force Vysnc even if the card tries to overwrite it - details on this during the week. Please set vysnc manually to ALWAYS ON and it will fix 99% of all issues.

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me how to
detonate
the
methane tanks
at the elevator shaft? I have a
pool stick
and a
lighter
. Thanks!

BadWolf

Hey guys. Can anyone tell me how to
detonate
the
methane tanks
at the elevator shaft? I have a
pool stick
and a
lighter
. Thanks!

You drained the area right? Iirc you climb down and attach the lighter to the methane tank. Then climb back up to the platform and make your way to the left so that you are standing above the methane tank with the lighter. Then use the stick to make it go boom.

Does anyone know what to do
when you get to the part with the connected nodes after John opens up to the spinal cord?
I tried clicking them quickly but kept failing.

Corpekata

Banned
No. The build-up in Stasis is really great but it does not go anywhere and feels a bit flat the more you play it. I still highly recommend it.

You're basically saying it is similar to Sanitarium.

I'd argue Stasis is better, as it maintains the quality of Sanitarium's opening act for most of the game. Sanitarium's last 2/3rds are terrible and the ending is awful too.

I think people only remember the opening of that game these days.

derFeef

You're basically saying it is similar to Sanitarium.

I'd argue Stasis is better, as it maintains the quality of Sanitarium's opening act for most of the game. Sanitarium's last 2/3rds are terrible and the ending is awful too.

I think people only remember the opening of that game these days.

This is absolutely possible. :)

Okay, so I'm maybe roughly 3/4 done with the game. Here are my thoughts:

-Visually on an artistic level the game is excellent. You really get the feeling you're in a derelict space vessel caught in the grasps of hell within space

-John is a likeable protagonist

-The logs are very well written for the most part, and seem to convey the personality of the crew member that wrote them. It was also nice seeing some of them relate to the same instances and get their points of view on them, which often provided more details for clarity.

-The sound effects/design is tops. You gotta play it with headphones on.

-Puzzle design is well done. You aren't left wandering aimlessly along massive stretches of the environment trying to solve things, so macro backtracking is virtually nonexistent on a mandatory basis.

-Now in regard to the puzzles....to be honest I felt most of them were (for the most part) too easy. I'm not an adventure game veteran but the way the puzzles are designed, you aren't going to be left for any incredulous stretch of time trying to solve them, as they're rather self-contained and localized to immediate areas. That's both a strength and weakness.

Now, again, I'm not finished with the game, but I'm up to the part
after you perform the spinal operation and get to Hydroponics
. The two puzzles
leading up to the operation
, IMHO, were fantastic. I think these are the puzzles some reviewers have been complaining about, but I enjoyed them, especially the one where
you needed to get the man in the stasis tube out
. A game with a harsh, metallic, oppressive atmosphere should have more puzzles like that to stress that feeling in terms of actual game play, too.

-That being said, I felt the actual
spinal cord operation
, while neat, was thrown off a bit by the part where you needed to
click the nodes along the spinal cord
. It felt kind of random, and there's guesswork in figuring how exactly you click them. There's no other puzzle similar to that prior in the game, so the solution seems random.

-Te'ah....there has to be more to her than meets the eye. I find a dynamic in her relationship w/ Dr. Malan a bit...off, and that feels intentionally set by the creator for the sake of the story. I'm hoping there's more revealed on her that covers her hands with blood, figuratively speaking.

I'm eagerly awaiting being able to finish the game tonight, and will have final impressions at that time.

sangreal

-That being said, I felt the actual
spinal cord operation
, while neat, was thrown off a bit by the part where you needed to
click the nodes along the spinal cord
. It felt kind of random, and there's guesswork in figuring how exactly you click them. There's no other puzzle similar to that prior in the game, so the solution seems random.

what guesswork? the order you click them in is shown on the screen that fades in and out

I explained my first contact with the game. The derailment came later because people can not accept even the slightest criticism. Great.

It is kind of ridiculous to quit a game, an indie game made by one person, due to an intro cinematic, not even gameplay reasons. I have my own criticisms for this game I've listed previously but at least I actually played the game itself xD

MaLDo

It is kind of ridiculous to quit a game, an indie game made by one person, due to an intro cinematic, not even gameplay reasons. I have my own criticisms for this game I've listed previously but at least I actually played the game itself xD

How many people have to work on a game to be hassled with compressed and juddery cinematics? 3? 300?

Unskippable dialogs are not gameplay related?

Go away with your logic.

Agremont

Stasis pod puzzle.
I don't want any hints though. I always feel so dissappointed in myself if I look up hints.

Wohoo! Finally got it! Turns out I wasn't observant enough.

For the record, I haven't played the game for about a week, so it didn't take that long for me to figure it out.

Im stuck again though. Let's hope it doesn't take as long this time.

WGMBY

Wohoo! Finally got it! Turns out I wasn't observant enough.

For the record, I haven't played the game for about a week, so it didn't take that long for me to figure it out.

Im stuck again though. Let's hope it doesn't take as long this time.

I could only find half of the answer. I'm assuming it's like the (early puzzle spoiler)
water pump
puzzle where you need to
deduce the correct answer from the partially destroyed instructions

I'll take another stab at it tonight.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Hey congrats on this 4 1/2 review from Adventure Gamers. Ive followed these guys for years and they arent anything fancy but they do tend reflect a lot of the hardcore adventure crowd so 4 1/2 stars is fantastic from them.

Fractal

Banned
Just started the game, I'm still early on, got through the
clone pods
area. Wouldn't call the game scary at all, but I sure can appreciate the sense of isolation, atmospherically it nails the the concept of a derelict vessel lost in space.

Hey congrats on this 4 1/2 review from Adventure Gamers. Ive followed these guys for years and they arent anything fancy but they do tend reflect a lot of the hardcore adventure crowd so 4 1/2 stars is fantastic from them.

Yes that is an incredible score from them. Having written some reviews for the site, it's a pretty thorough process and the editor really brings out the best in the reviewers to ensure the score is reflective of what's written.

And everyone takes it very seriously, even as volunteers.

How many people have to work on a game to be hassled with compressed and juddery cinematics? 3? 300?

Unskippable dialogs are not gameplay related?

Go away with your logic.

Your standards are silly in this context, why are you still here if you're not playing the game? What did you think about the first area chum ;)

~Kinggi~

Banned
Yes that is an incredible score from them. Having written some reviews for the site, it's a pretty thorough process and the editor really brings out the best in the reviewers to ensure the score is reflective of what's written.

And everyone takes it very seriously, even as volunteers.

ah small world. Yeah i dont even know when or how i first visited that site but for some reason ive kept their reviews in high regard. Now im trying to remember what the game was that got me there, i cant remember.

MaLDo

Your standards are silly in this context, why are you still here if you're not playing the game? What did you think about the first area chum ;)

Your resentment toward my standards is silly in every context. And that you're wasting your time trying to convince me that my opinon is less correct than yours, it is even more silly.

If I have a few problems with the game, this is the thread where I will comment because dev is reading here. I'm only answering whenever reference to me is made after that. I think it's time to accept that, it bothers me the decisions that affect the first contact with the game. I said that I will play the game, so relax and do not make a specific problem for a particular user in a stupid war along weeks. It's really tiresome how some games must be condemned but others must be fully commended.

Your resentment toward my standards is silly in every context. And that you're wasting your time trying to convince me that my opinon is less correct than yours, it is even more silly.

If I have a few problems with the game, this is the thread where I will comment because dev is reading here. I'm only answering whenever reference to me is made after that. I think it's time to accept that, it bothers me the decisions that affect the first contact with the game. I said that I will play the game, so relax and do not make a specific problem for a particular user in a stupid war along weeks. It's really tiresome how some games must be condemned but others must be fully commended.

I think you're projecting a bit. Resentment? War along weeks? Cmon now, little dramatic there. If you're playing the game now, great! Glad you're giving it a chance :)

Arulan

I finished the game a few days ago. I enjoyed it, but there is one aspect in particular that bothered me throughout.

I've been trying to think about how best to describe it, but it's largely the back and forth between you and Teah. It comes across as very forced. You're put into a very familiar video game situation where you continue to do what the person on the comm is telling you to do, and it often makes you aware of how contrived it all feels. With the exception of John, I didn't particular think of the rest of the voice acting was particularly good.

All of that said, the game shines in other areas. The backgrounds and art direction is fantastic, and probably the strongest area of the game. The sound design, and music is quite good too. What I believe to be the main theme (based on the lullaby) is very memorable. The writing is a mixed bag.
The PDAs and emails were mostly fine, if you can buy into the diary/blog nature of it. The game even has a line or two where it's self-aware of that fact. However, you're often able to build a mental image of who worked there, what their relationship was to each other, some nuance to their characters, and other details on the events that transpired in that area. There are a few moments where the game introduces some nice world-building beyond the immediate scope of the ship, such as with Jukka Cola. I think it's mostly the forced exchanges with Teah that bring it down for me.

As far a puzzle design, I very much appreciated the minimal of guidance on the side of the player. There was one specific part that stomped for me a little while, but the rest were fairly intuitive, perhaps even too easy.
The puzzle in question was taking the stinger from the insect queen. I tried to approach her based off of what I'd learned from the nearby emails, but I didn't think to try during the smiley face for some time afterward. Incorporating puzzle solutions and hints into the PDAs and emails was great. I enjoyed solving the stasis chamber puzzle regarding chemical compounds.

There are some more things I could comment on, but overall I found my experience to be enjoyable, even good. I look forward to your next project.

Agremont

I could only find half of the answer. I'm assuming it's like the (early puzzle spoiler)
water pump
puzzle where you need to
deduce the correct answer from the partially destroyed instructions

I'll take another stab at it tonight.

I think you're going to have to find all the available clues otherwise it'll be way to hard. You can't calculate the correct settings from the clues.

Anyway, I finished it earlier today. Pretty good, and very atmospheric game. Not scary at all, but then again I never expected it to be. Good acting by the main voice actor, but boy does Teah talk unclear some times. Didn't care for the soundtrack. And I usually like Mark Morgan's work. Great ambient noises though.

Story was predictable though and I didn't quite get a couple of things in the end.

Like why John didn't go with his wife in the ship or why she was dead.

It was definitely worth the money I spent on crowfunding it.

Fractal

Banned
Just finished it, and while it was pretty good, it's also easily one of the most depressing games I ever played. My only complaint would be Dr. Malan, that's a type of a megalomaniac I enjoy seeing in a Bond movie, but here he very much felt out of place.
Story was predictable though and I didn't quite get a couple of things in the end.

Like why John didn't go with his wife in the ship or why she was dead.
John didn't go with his wife since the second stasis pod was damaged beyond repair by gunfire, meaning he couldn't survive the trip. In the game's universe it seems there's no FTL travel. As for his wife being dead, there's no real explanation offered, the pod failed for some reason during travel, maybe it also took some damage from the turrets.

Agremont

Just finished it, and while it was pretty good, it's also easily one of the most depressing games I ever played. My only complaint would be Dr. Malan, that's a type of a megalomaniac I enjoy seeing in a Bond movie, but here he very much felt out of place.

John didn't go with his wife since the second stasis pod was damaged beyond repair by gunfire, meaning he couldn't survive the trip. In the game's universe it seems there's no FTL travel. As for his wife being dead, there's no real explanation offered, the pod failed for some reason during travel, maybe it also took some damage from the turrets.

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

And I'll add to my "review" that the enviroments are incredible. Some of the best isometric I've seen. Beautiful!

Just arrived at the
Medical Bay
and found out how to get around the particular security systems....

This freaking game. I'm three and half or so hours in and it is so incredibly eerie. Loving it. Lots of incredible environments and situations along the way, never boring.

I'm close to the end now I believe... Holy fuck at some of the things this game requires you to do in order to proceed. And those environments! Some truly gnarly material left more to the imagination, but it doesn't compare to actually getting into the
experimentation wings

If there is one caveat, it's that I'm still unsure even now of my main character's exact role in the story... But that's inevitable I think with any story involving
cloning

Been thinking all day about what's going to happen when I fix a certain surgical laser.

Truncated update notes for version 1.08

1.08 is the definitive release of STASIS. It includes the options that you, the players, have requested, such as font sizing and graphics controls. We've also incorporated a host of tweaks and fixes for the vsync (on newer graphics cards). Get 1.08 on STEAM and GOG as an update.

Already beat it but this will be nice for the second time through in prep for the DLC chapter about the Cayne Corporation.

DLC? First time I'm hearing about this, nice.
Free for backers too! Here's a definitely tantalizing note from the same update:

We're conducting technology testing for the DLC - FREE to all STASIS Kickstarter backers, of course! The CAYNE chapter will feature much higher resolution graphics and animation, special effects and a fully 3D motion controlled character. It will be isometric and the UI and gameplay will be the same as in STASIS.

Sounds like some profits are being pumped right back into making the game the best it can be, which is just a wonderful feeling. Can't wait to see what's next from the team responsible.

I'm stuck in the
experimentation labs, needing to blow open a door (I think). Reading through the thread someone else was stuck there as well and it was mentioned using a laser gun on the nitrogen tank is the solution. Where can I find the laser gun?

I'm stuck in the
experimentation labs, needing to blow open a door (I think). Reading through the thread someone else was stuck there as well and it was mentioned using a laser gun on the nitrogen tank is the solution. Where can I find the laser gun?
I wish I could remember immediately, but I can't. There are a few dedicated Stasis playthroughs on YouTube, I'd scan them to the point you're at and backtrack.

sangreal

I'm stuck in the

It's not called a laser gun, it's called something else. plasma something or other? Some kind of tool. It's just sitting on a table in one of the rooms. Once you get past the robot, there is an elevator to the next floor up, and a part of the floor that lights up when you stand on it. You have to be standing on that spot to use the tool and shoot the tank

Top Bottom