• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

52 games. 1 Year. 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
aiHLmo5.jpg

Game 6. Lifeline… (iOS); Playtime: 2.5-3 hours over 3 days; got the true ending; completed on 1/15/2016
Lifeline is a real-time interactive fiction game where an astronaut named Taylor reaches out to you after her ship crashes onto an alien moon. She can’t find her crew, and you’re the only person she can reach through her communication device. Throughout the game you’re supposed to help Taylor decide how to proceed and react to the things that happen to him while she’s stranded, and your decisions have real consequences on how the story unfolds.

I wasn’t totally into this game at first, as I somewhat preferred the idea of just sitting down and playing the whole thing as opposed to waiting real time for updates from the game’s story. This actually does play out fairly well though, as you begin to really look forward to the next updates in the story, particularly near the ending. I thought they did a great job with the atmosphere, and I was on the edge of my seat at the very end waiting to see what happened. I would definitely recommend the game, it doesn’t overstay its welcome and I felt that it had a great execution.

The game is Apple's free game of the week, for those interested.

Original Post

OP

Game 3.
I completed The Starship Damray on the 3DS. A fun little Puzzle/Adventure game from level 5. (I am seeing a pattern with my last few games!) Fun but short, and the puzzles were pretty easy. Didnt really take much thought to complete them.

Dr. Buni

Currently making my way through ReMake and the only thing I can say I'm enjoying is the atmosphere.

The true terror in this game is the ambiguous progression and disastrous item management.
Plus the tank controls. Well, at least to me. I can never get used to them.

Nyari

Neo Member
screen322x572.jpeg

Game 02: Lifeline / Android / Januari 16

7/10

For some Lifeline might not be considered a "real" game since there is no real gameplay.
It's an interactive story about the sole survivor of a spaceship crash on a barren moon out in the middle of nowhere.

The survivor, named Taylor, somehow manages to make contact with someone back on earth and that someone is you.
He'll contact you to help him make difficult decisions, discuss his next action or just because he needs someone to talk to.
All this happens in real time over the course of 3 days.
This means that if Taylor says he's going to sleep, you won't hear from him for the next 7-8 hours. this might be a big problem for some players but for me it really helped pull me into the story.

The writer did a really good job of making Taylor feel like a real human being with all his quirks and character flaws. And in the end i really cared about him and wanted the best possible outcome for him. And that is quite a thing to achieve through a bunch of text messages, to actually make me care for the story and the characters in it.

i got the "true" ending on my first try but i've heard from other people that there are multiple endings depending on how you influence Taylor and what you tell him to do.
All in all i enjoyed this game and i'm tempted to pick up the sequel to see how Taylor's story continues.

Master post

Excellent. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem, hope you enjoy! I'd heard great things about it, so I was happy to get it for free. You can also get the other two Lifeline games on sale for $0.99 if you end up liking the first.

All in all i enjoyed this game and i'm tempted to pick up the sequel to see how Taylor's story continues.

I'm playing the direct sequel, Lifeline: Silent Night, right now. It's pretty good so far, picks up pretty soon after the true ending of the first game.

pnutboy

OP

Game 6- Oxenfree (5.5 Hours, Completed January 15)
530681174.jpg

Absolutely loved this game. From the creepy atmosphere to the phenomenal conversations and dialog to the interesting characters and intriguing plot, Oxenfree completely captured my attention from start to finish. I had no idea what to expect going in, but I was thoroughly surprised and satisfied with this game. Also, there's an insanely cool mechanic revealed towards the end that I won't spoil, but it really changed the way I looked at the game. There are a couple of pacing issues towards the end but it didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. This is a must-have for anyone remotely interested in adventure games or mystery stories. 9.5/10

modsbox

Claiming this spot here, jumping in a bit late but I'm excited. The games I beat will have a distinct retro focus, as I just got a Framemeister and my AV Famicom RGB modded. Looking forward to this!

List so far:
1. Rygar (NES/Famicom, 1 hour 20 minutes, 1/13)
I've always loved this game, ever since I first played it when I was a kid. I know the game very well and my strat to make an otherwise difficult game easier is to strengthen my character by repeatedly fighting the robots before taking on the series of bosses. Makes it more fun.

2. The Legend of Zelda (NES/Famicom, 2 hours 15 minutes, 1/16)
Another classic. Just as with Rygar I know the game well and get upgrades early to make the game easier. You can get the white sword and blue ring before beating a single dungeon; makes it a relaxing playthrough (except a few tricky sports in dungeons 6 and 9).

3. Super Mario Bros. (NES/Famicom, 15 minutes, 1/16)
The first game I ever worked on speed running, and I plan to beat several of the mainline super mario bros. titles this year. I took it easy and made sure to be big / stay big in 8-3 and 8-4. There's something so relaxing about this game for me; great nostalgic way to unwind for a few minutes.

4. Contra (NES/Famicom, 25 minutes, 1/17)
Using the 30 lives code makes this game a pleasant romp. If I have time after completing the challenge I'll go back and redo without the code, that will take quite a bit more time I suspect.

5. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES/Famicom, 50 minutes, 1/18)
This game was a lot of fun. I don't think I'd ever beaten it all the way through without warping except for the first time I played it as a kid. It was particularly cool playing through it on a Framemeister in RGB. With scanlines off it actually had a really clean, bright, and colorful look to it. So much better than the weird unrefined off-looking colors feel I remember from playing it years ago.

6. Mega Man (NES/Famicom, 7 hours, 1/22)
I remembered trying to beat this as a kid and getting absolutely destroyed by the yellow devil boss in the Dr. Wily stage. Same situation transpired this time. After blazing through the initial bosses I was feeling pretty good, only to again be ruined by this boss. Burned through all of my accumulated 1ups and ended up repeating the stage many times until I finally resorted to the select pause trick. I don't even feel bad about it, without the difficulty is just insane. After that, steady progress untli the end. If you want a reminder of just how punishing the difficulty of some NES games can be, this game would be a very good choice.

7. Mega Man 2 (NES/Famicom, 4 hours, 1/23)
I had a lot more fun with this than MM 1. Amazing graphics and soundtrack and, since I played on Normal difficulty, a much more reasonable difficulty curve. I actually enjoyed the entire experience. I've never finished MM 3-6 so am looking forward to seeing how good they are; that said I'd be surprised if any of them top MM 2. Such a good game.

Main post

Game #7: WarioWare: Touched! (DS) - ★★★★★★★☆☆☆

I had beaten it once before, but since I bought it on the Wii U and played through it I'll count it. While I definitely do not dislike the game at all, I found it to be markedly inferior to WarioWare: Twisted!. Touched! has two major flaws - one, a lot of the microgames are VERY simple, but not in a fun way like the first game was. So many of the microgames felt like they ran together. Worse yet IMO is the second flaw, the side games. Touched! has a few interesting side attractions, but all-in-all, you'll never play most of these again. Compare it to the first game and Twisted!'s, which have games that I would legit play just because. The first game had Dr. Wario, it had Wario Sheriff, Pyoro, and Paper Plane, and the second game had Mewtroid and Pyoro 2, the former being of my favourite "games within games" ever. This game is still worth playing, but it's the worst good entry in the series. One particularly disappointing thing is that 9-Volt's levels just aren't as fun as past NES-themed levels!

Syrus

Banned
I guess the OP is letting us decide if episodes count as 1 or not.

Not sure if Ill count em as 5 each lol. Unless I need em for 52 ^^

Oreoleo

Do what you want. There are basically no rules. Just be honest with yourself about it. If you think it should count as multiple games, do it. If it feels disingenuous to you then count it as one.

That's my approach, haha. I'd sooner not count them, and by the looks of things - I've beaten eight games in 16 days - I may not have to, but if push comes to shove, I won't let my pride get in the way of padding a bit, lol.

original post

Game 5: Super Mario World (Wii U VC replay)

Turned this on when I was bored and found that there was a save file that was half finished. Went to Bowser without caring too much about secrets. I'm always annoyed at iirc fortress 5, in which a fireball can be trapped within your block elevator and you can't really do anything. Other than that, still one of the GOATs.

I think that you can count them as five, but for older episodic games like The Walking Dead Season 2, you can't.
Age doesn't matter. It's whatever you want.
Do what you want. There are basically no rules. Just be honest with yourself about it. If you think it should count as multiple games, do it. If it feels disingenuous to you then count it as one.
Yes.
---
Also, I'm gonna say no on board games.

Treat them in the same manner as television shows in 50books/50movies. Separate category, doesn't count for completion.

Game 5: Hexcells [PC] - ~3 hours

Hexcells is a minimalist puzzle-game, that at a glance resembles Minesweeper (which I never really played). The goal of the game is to determine which hexagons arranged on the board are part of the pattern, and which are not (so there are 3 possible states: Unknown, part of the pattern, and not part of the pattern). Clues take three forms, with a number of twists, namely the number of hexagons that are part of the pattern on a row or column, as well as the number of hexagons adjacent to a hexagon that are part of the pattern, and the total number of hexagons that are part of the pattern (sometimes needed to deduce the final step). Determining the next step is therefore a purely logical process, in which the state of each hexagon must be deduced. The game was really enjoyable, and I pretty much sped through 100%'ing it, and immediately started playing the sequel (Hexcells Plus) on completion.

Master List

Guess i'll try this for a change, claiming this post. Thanks for organizing, seems like a fun event!

***images to be added later.

Completed, i'll use this if i have gotten all the achievements in a game. If a game doesn't have achievements and i think i've done everything available, i'll use the tag as well.
Finished, i'll use this tag when i've finished the story of a game. If a game doesn't have a story line (mp games for example) i'll use this tag once if poured in a decent amount of time. (this time depends on how much content is in the game ofcourse)

Game #1: Onechanbara Z2: Chaos
Platform: PS4
Time: 30 hours
Worth playing? Yes, if you're into Hack 'n Slash games with a lot of fanservice. To be fair the game itself was pretty mediocre. Very short story, horrible level design and really not up to date with the ps4 graphically. That aside, the game offers quite a lot of replay value since you'll unlock some pretty OP equipment once you beat the story a couple times. There is also a challenge mode which was pretty fun to play and offered some diversity. The DLC policy is bullshit though, 2€ for an accessory? No, thank you.

Game #2: Drakengard 3
Platform: PS3
Time: 40 hours
Worth playing? Definitely. Honestly this game took me by surprise. I never thought this game's dialogue would be filled with vulgar, crude sexist humor. But boy, did i love it! As the story unfolds, however a beautiful tale starts to sprout under all the toilet talk - which was a very nice touch.

Unfortunately the game is plagued by bad graphics, horrendous framerate and some weird glitches. If you can look past that you're in for a fun hack 'n slash that'll leave you stunned in the end. Just be sure to not play it around your kids' ears.

StoveOven

Banned
Master Post

Game 1: Dragon Age Inquisition: Trespasser DLC
Completed On: 1/14/16
Rating: 3 Stars

Game 2: Rise of the Tomb Raider
Completed On: 1/16/16

Game 3: The Witness
Completed On: 2/4/16
Rating: 5 Stars

Game 4: Strider
Completed On: 2/14/16

Game 5: Street Fighter V
Completed On: 2/23/16 (all story modes plus many hours in multiplayer)

Game 6: Sunset Overdrive
Completed On: 2/27/16

Game 7: Peggle 2
Completed On: 2/28/16
Rating: 4 Stars

Game 8: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Completed On: 3/10/16

Game 9: OlliOlli
Completed On: 3/26/16

Game 10: Persona 4: Golden
Completed On: 4/3/16

Game 11: Journey
Completed On: 4/18/16

Game 12: Mirror's Edge
Completed On: 4/25/16

Game 13: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Completed On: 5/13/16

Malyse

game03_by_fake_magical_girl-d9xcdwa.gif

Time: 4:01 hours
Score: I really loved this.
Thoughts: Ridley is such a little bitch! And fuck Metroids. "Oh, you're having trouble with one Metroid? Here's seven then". Fun game and plays super well on the Wii U gamepad. I wish all the 3DS VC games were on Wii U as well, as gamepad is basically a massive gameboy.

Master List

BraXzy

I highly recommend this. It's quite calming and peaceful till things ramp up. A great little puzzler that can fill in those few minutes that aren't long enough for something more.

You could always wait till the mobile version which is apparently coming soon.

Original Post

AZMziBd.png

GAME 11: Mini Metro - 3 Hours - 16/01/2016 - PC

An elegant, minimalistic puzzle game that seems to have been missed by many. What starts as a manageable, simple task suddenly booms into chaos as you manage a booming city of "people" that want to get from A-B. They couldn't have picked a sleeker method of transportation.

That's my approach, haha. I'd sooner not count them, and by the looks of things - I've beaten eight games in 16 days - I may not have to, but if push comes to shove, I won't let my pride get in the way of padding a bit, lol.
What I do is count episodes individually, but I also try to reach 52 even if seasons are counted as 1 game. Or if there are games someone might say don't count, like Episode Duscae, I've still met the target if those are left out. I finished 65 games last year, or 54 if episodic games are counted by season (not counting ones that aren't all released), or 52 games if you leave out Episode Duscae and Pokemon Shuffle (which had levels added in an update after I listed it).

I haven't started the write up in this thread yet but the first 7 'games' I finished for the year are episodes from three different series, but I am not doing it to get a lot of games done quickly. I am doing it because I hadn't played any post-Walking Dead S1 Telltale games until I played episode 1 of Tales from the Borderlands for free recently and a bit of TWD2 on PS+ and they got me in the mood for more. It still looks bad though! :)

pnutboy

OP

Game 7- A Bird Story (1 Hour, January 16, 2016)-
bird3.jpg

Since I loved To the Moon so much, I was really eager to play this one. It was short, predictable, and pretty cheesy, but it was also cute and heartfelt. Compared to To the Moon it's pretty mediocre, but I still enjoyed it for what it was. 6/10

Game 4: Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PSP) - 60 Hours

9B5z1lr.png

I don't even know what to say other than it was amazing. I already want to go back and do a more clean run I spent a lot of extra time training up like 10 - 12 units when for the last chunk of the game I used the same 5 units and just ignored the rest of my army. Game is easy to break and has a ton of really strong class combos, the first time I got math and used it to cast toad on the entire enemy team I knew it was something beautiful. Story is really strong and hearing about how vagrant story takes place in the same universe has instantly added it to my backlog. This game also rekindled my love for turn based strategy games and I'm moving right from it to Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together.

OP

jiggles

Banned
Archive Post

headerr5ps4.jpg

Game 3 - That Dragon, Cancer [PC] ★
This is a strange game to critique. I don't want to sound like a soulless monster, but it was garbage. Every single interaction I had with it during its brief runtime was a mess. Moving around the environments was a chore of finding the precise direction to look that would change the cursor, clicking, and waiting as it (very slowly) transitions the view to somewhere else in that direction. Breaking up the tedium of moving around were some "interactive" parts that you'd click to illicit a reaction like strumming a guitar or pushing a swing, and then some really crude minigames with a real "my first game" level of shoddiness. The fact that this game costs as much as it does is fucking ludicrous. I feel like I've been robbed. As for the presentation of their story, it just fell flat for me. The presentation of the dialogue's subtitles, stylised and arresting, makes efforts to give the words a weight or profoundness that just isn't there. It's all cliché metaphors and angsty poetry which immediately had me disengaged. I can't imagine how it feels to go through something like this, and after 2 hours of indulging the Greens in their grief, I'm no different than I was before. Well, other than being £10.99 worse off, I guess.

OP

Game 6- Oxenfree (5.5 Hours, Completed January 15)

Absolutely loved this game. From the creepy atmosphere to the phenomenal conversations and dialog to the interesting characters and intriguing plot, Oxenfree completely captured my attention from start to finish. I had no idea what to expect going in, but I was thoroughly surprised and satisfied with this game. Also, there's an insanely cool mechanic revealed towards the end that I won't spoil, but it really changed the way I looked at the game. There are a couple of pacing issues towards the end but it didn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. This is a must-have for anyone remotely interested in adventure games or mystery stories. 9.5/10
Saw this a little while back and was wondering about it but you just sold me on it

ch4fx_

Tomb-Raider-Definitive-Edition-Bow-640x341.jpg

I bought this game shortly after release & never played the story until now.... meh. To be honest, I kinda of hated this game. The action was predictable, in most cases I could tell what was going to happen before it actually happened. It was HELLA linear, it kinda felt like some what of an on rails shooter considering the only thing you had to do to progress was..... go forward. The aiming system sucked, the story was anti-climatic, & I despised the "Lost" (TV show) feel to the game. I literally pushed my way through this game just so that I could add it to my completed list.

Even though I did not enjoy this game, I will admit it controlled very well & the graphics were great. In a day and age where many AAA games are released in a borderline unplayable condition, I do have to give credit to Tomb Raider for not being bugged to hell. I spent roughly 10-12 hours on the game & only encountered 1 or 2 very minor bugs.

If anyone reading this is thinking of playing this game, PLEASE DO NOT LET MY THOUGHTS STEER YOU AWAY. While I did not enjoy the game, literally THOUSANDS of others have - so you're more likely to enjoy the game than not. Plus, my taste in games could be getting fucked, who knows. All in all, I would still recommend this game to anyone interested due to the fact that everything is very well put together - the story its self just wasnt my pint of beer.

Playtime; 10-12 hours.

GAME 07: Disaster Report: Its a bit weird that this didn't come with a tutorial like Raw Danger! did since its the first game in the series, so Im kinda glad that I played this one later. The ideas that Raw Danger! took were super refined, but the gameplay of Disaster Report was still really enjoyable. I can somewhat see why it would be harder to go back to this after starting Raw Danger!, but imo it feels a lot less jankyer. Its a great game. I'm really in love with Irem's/Kazuma Kujo's games now. I got really sad when I saw this easter egg/reference since it encompass Irem now :(

GLuigi

OP with my comments on it

I was only planning on finishing two games this month, since Xenoblade Chronicles X is taking a good chunk of my free time. I'm going to try to finish another one before I start classes again.

Game 1: Stella Glow (3DS) - 68 Hours
Game 2: Emily Is Away (PC) - 2 Hours

Currently Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles X, Undertale, Steins;Gate

Nyari

Neo Member
mmoj06.jpg

Game 03: Middle manager of Justice / Android / Januari 16 / about 10 hours

4,5/10

A F2P phone or tablet game made by Double Fine and Dracogen.
It's a casual management simulation game where you manage a branch of Justice Corp. (this universes version of the Avengers or Justice League basically)
You can very easily beat this game without making any in-game purchases, it actually almost feels like they were added in afterwards because they had to.

The graphics look really nice, i could see this being a cartoon on Cartoon Network or something but the gameplay is really lacking and the story is pretty much non existent.
Besides the graphics really it's only saving grace is the Double Fine brand of humor and character design.
If you're not really into that thing then this game really isn't for you.

The gameplay is very shallow and after about 2 to 3 areas becomes very repetitive (9 areas in total). I applaud the fact that they added in some kind of endgame content in the form of the Most Wanted list but by the time you get to endgame you're probably going to be bored out of your skull and sick of playing this game

Master post

alex1893

claimed, let's try to cut down the backlog with this.

1. Torchlight 2 (PC) - ~31 hrs (in progress)
bought this in Winter Sale 2014, guess I'm about half way through at the moment.

2. NHL Legacy Edition (PS3) - ~5 hrs (in progress/endless)
haven't really played any NHL game since 2004 or so, picked this up in winter sale. Really like it so far, especially the simple and fast 1994 mode. No ambitions to platinum it, I think I'll leave this as endless for a fun match every now and then, maybe completing a season.

3. Frankenstein: Master of Death (PC) - ~4 hrs (finished Jan 7th)
I like these little hidden object games, especially when they're on sale.

4. Dark Arcana: The Carnival (PC) - ~5 hrs (finished Jan 11th)
see 3 ;)

5. Tales of Monkey Island (PS3) - ~10-12 hrs (in progress)
started in 2014, completed Ep 1-3 within a few days, started Ep 4 and left it since then. Don't know why; I liked it so far and gonna finish it.

6. The Walking Dead: Michonne (PC) - 1.5 hrs (in progress)

tbc

Dr. Buni

Game 8: Mega Man 2 [PC/Nestopia] --- ~2 hours played? 3?

0cqESCc.png

I haven't played a classic Mega Man in over a year, which is unusual for me. So I decided to boot Mega Man 2 and give it a run. Solid game, as everyone knows, but I still don't think this come close to being the best classic Mega Man title. I think I will replay 6 and 9 (my favorites) this week and see how much I still like them.

Spyware

ZeixVA0.png

Game 03: | Never Alone: Foxtales | - | January 11 | - | 1 hour |
I found Never Alone to be cute and charming but not very fun to play. My least favourite bits were the underwater sections. The Foxtales DLC tells a good story that reminds me of the fables I loved to read as a child, but the gameplay is mostly... underwater sections. They are filled with "puzzles" that are not the least bit hard to solve but annoyingly slow and frustrating to navigate through.

Game 04: | Her Story | - | January 16 | - | 3 hours |
The one word that plops into my head when I think of this is just "fascinating". I really liked the way you searched through the videos and I hope there will be more games that does something like this. I generally love nonlinear storytelling so that was perfect. I love that
Barlow left the whole story open to interpretation (and I'm firmly on the "Twins" team since I like the story a bit better that way)
, but the story wasn't actually that interesting to me in the end. Found all videos during my first session without much trouble. Had a good time.

Master post

1: GROW HOME - PC - 1/1 - 2:15 - 70%

2: THE WALKING DEAD: SURVIVAL INSTINCT - PC - 1/3 - 6:45 - 40%

3: TERMINATOR SALVATION - PC - 1/3 - 3:00 - 40%

4: STEAMWORLD HEIST - 3DS - 1/3 - 11:20 - 80%

5: STAR TREK (2013) - PC - 1/4 - 7:15 - 60%

6: HOMEFRONT - PC - 1/5 - 3:15 - 50%

7: ALIENS VS. PREDATOR (2010) - PC - 1/9 - 7:30 - 70%

8: MEDAL OF HONOR: AIRBORNE - PC - 1/10 - 5:45 - 70%

9: DEADPOOL - PC - 1/11 - 5:30 - 70%

10: LEGENDARY - PC - 1/12 - 4:15 - 50%

11: FAR CRY 3: BLOOD DRAGON - PC - 1/12 - 6:20 - 80%

12: THE DARKNESS II - PC - 1/15 - 6:00 - 60%

13: KANE & LYNCH 2: DOG DAYS - PC - 1/16 - 4:00 - 50%

14: JAMESTOWN+ - PS4 - 1/16 - N/A - 80%

15: RYSE: SON OF ROME - PC - 1/17 - 6:00 - 70%

16: SONIC GENERATIONS - PC - 1/23 - 5:05 - 60%

17: YAIBA: NINJA GAIDEN Z - PC - 1/24 - 7:00 - 50%

18: RENEGADE OPS - PC - 1/25 - 3:15 - 80%
18a: RENEGADE OPS: COLDSTRIKE DLC - PC - 1/25 - 1:00 - 80%

19: PAINKILLER: HELL & DAMNATION - PC - 1/31 - 4:05 - 60%

20: RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER - PC - 2/7 - 13:30 - 80%

21: AMPLITUDE (2015) - PS4 - 2/13 - 00:45 - 70%

22: FIREWATCH - PC - 2/14 - 03:45 - 70%

23: SYNDICATE (2012) - PC - 2/15 - 05:10 - 80%

24: MIRROR'S EDGE - PC - 2/15 - 04:30 - 90%

25: FIRE EMBLEM: AWAKENING - 2/21 - 34:30 - 80%

26: BIOSHOCK - PC - 2/21 - 13:00 - 90%

27: ASSAULT ANDROID CACTUS - PC - 2/27 - 03:00 - 80%

28: GUITAR HERO LIVE - PS4 - 2/28 - 03:30 - 70%

29: FIRE EMBLEM: FATES - BIRTHRIGHT - 3DS - 3/6 - 29:45 - 80%

30: KIRBY SUPER STAR ULTRA - DS (ON 3DS) - 3/7 - 03:30 - 70%

31: BEZIER - PC - 3/14 - 01:15 - 70%

32: FIRE EMBLEM: FATES - REVELATION - 3DS - 3/20 - 26:15 - 80%

33: HITMAN GO - PSV - 3/24 - ??:?? - 80%

34: UNCHARTED 3: DRAKE'S DECEPTION (from NATHAN DRAKE COLLECTION) - PS4 - 3/26 - ??:?? - 70%

35: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY: TROPICAL FREEZE - WIIU - 3/29 - ??:?? - 80%

36: BIOSHOCK INFINITE - PC - 3/30 - 11:00 - 70%

37: KIRBY'S RETURN TO DREAMLAND - WII - 3/31 - ??:?? - 80%

38: SIN & PUNISHMENT - N64 (on WIIU) - 4/1 - 02:00 - 70%

39: SIN & PUNISHMENT: STAR SUCCESSOR - WII (on WIIU) - 4/2 - 07:00 - 70%

40: QUANTUM BREAK - XO - 4/17 - 00:00 - 70%

41: RATCHET & CLANK (2016) - PS4 - 4/25 - 00:00 - 80%

42: THE LEGEND OF ZELDA: A LINK TO THE PAST - SNES (on N3DS) - 4/28 - 13:00 - 100%

43: SUPER MARIO WORLD - SNES (on N3DS) - 5/6 - 07:30 - 100%

44: PHOENIX WRIGHT: ACE ATTORNEY - 3DS - 5/21 - 21:45 - 80%

45: DOOM (2016) - PC - 5/30 - 12:00 - 90%

46: KIRBY: PLANET ROBOBOT - 3DS - 6/24 - 05:30 - 70%

47: UNCHARTED 4: A THIEF'S END - PS4 - 6/26 - 15:00 - 90%

48: ORI AND THE BLIND FOREST: DEFINITIVE EDITION - PC - 6/26 - 07:15 - 90%

49: INSIDE - XO - 7/3 - 03:30 - 90%

50: THE WALKING DEAD: MICHONNE - PC - 7/4 - 03:30 - 70%

51: STREET FIGHTER V - STORY MODE - PS4 - 7/4 - 03:00 - 60%

52: STEINS;GATE - PSV - 7/11 - 24:10 - 90%

53: LUCKY'S TALE - PC/RIFT - 7/19 - 05:00 - 70%

54: KING'S QUEST: CHAPTER 2 - RUBBLE WITHOUT A CAUSE - 7/24 - 03:10 - 70%

55: THE BUG BUTCHER - PC - 7/26 - 02:30 - 70%

56: THEBLU - PC - 8/4 - 00:15 - 60%

57: RHYTHM HEAVEN MEGAMIX - 3DS - 8/6 - 10:25 - 70%

58: KING'S QUEST: CHAPTER 3 - ONCE UPON A CLIMB - PC - 8/7 - 02:55 - 70%

59: KENTUCKY ROUTE ZERO - ACT IV - PC - 8/8 - 02:00 - 70%

60: ALIENATION - PS4 - 8/8 - ??:?? - 70%

61: THE LAB - PC/VIVE - 8/9 - 02:00 - 70%

62: JOB SIMULATOR - PC/VIVE - 8/10 - 02:30 - 70%

63: EPISTORY: TYPING CHRONICLES - PC - 8/14 - 06:45 - 70%

64: ABZU - PC - 8/14 - 01:30 - 70%

65: TACO MASTER - PSV - 8/17 - ??:?? - 70%

66: RESISTANCE: BURNING SKIES - PSV - 8/22 - ??:?? - 70%

67: CALL OF DUTY: BLACK OPS: DECLASSIFIED - PSV - 8/27 - ??:?? - 60%

68: KILLZONE: MERCENARY - PSV - 8/28 - ??:?? - 80%

69: HALO: THE MASTER CHIEF COLLECTION: HALO ANNIVERSARY - XO - 9/5 - ??:?? - 100%

70: SEVERED - PSV - 9/7 - 06:45 - 80%

71: KIRBY: CANVAS CURSE - DS - 9/10 - 03:30 - 80%

72: PICROSS 3D: ROUND 2 - 3DS - 9/21 - 102:22 - 100%

73; NHL 17 - XO - 10/1 - ??:?? - 80%

74: UNTIL DAWN: RUSH OF BLOOD - 10/23 - 02:30 - 70%

75: CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE - REMASTERED - 10/29 - ??:?? - 90%

76: BATTLEFIELD 1 - PC - 10/30 - 05:00 - 80%

77: BATMAN: THE TELLTALE SERIES - EPISODE 1: REALM OF SHADOWS - PC - 10/31 - 02:00 - 80%
77a: BATMAN: THE TELLTALE SERIES - EPISODE 2: CHILDREN OF ARKHAM - PC - 10/31 - 01:30 - 80%
77b: BATMAN: THE TELLTALE SERIES - EPISODE 3: NEW WORLD ORDER - PC - 11/1 - 01:30 - 80%

78. TITANFALL 2 - PS4 - 11/1 - 06:00 - 90%

79. DODONPACHI RESSURECTION
- PC - 11/1 - 00:30 - NR

80. GEARS OF WAR 4 - PC - 11/2 - ??:?? - 80%

81. CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE - PS4 - 11/12 - ??:?? - 70%

82. TITANFALL 2 - PC - 11/25 - ??:?? - 90%

83. BATMAN: THE TELLTALE SERIES - EPISODE 4: GUARDIAN OF GOTHAM - PC - 11/25 - 01:30 - 80%

84. STEINS;GATE 0 - PSV - 12/8 - 07:45 (first ending only so far) - ??%

85. STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT(2015): VR MISSION - PS4 - 12/8 - 00:18 - 80%

86. REZ INFINITE - PS4 - 12/10 - ??:?? - 80%

87. CALL OF DUTY: INFINITE WARFARE - JACKAL ASSAULT VR EXPERIENCE - PS4 - 12/10 - 00:12 - 60%

Oreoleo

The List!
Full Impressions

5. Five Nights at Freddy's - 3 Hours
YBBcMZi.jpg

While this game is (initially) pretty good with the horror (by which I mean jump scares), I found the actual game to be a little lacking. You're an after hours security guard and the entire game involves managing your power supply while checking cameras, flicking lights on and off, and closing the doors to your security room. The more things you have active at once, the quicker your power drains, and the less likely you are to make it to 6 am and thus make it to the next night. The game ramps up difficulty appropriately over each night, but by night 4 you start to see the forest for the trees and learn the patterns and tricks you need to do to maximize efficacy, rather than reacting to events and stimuli in a natural way. It's at this point that all fun, tension, and horror is removed from the game and begins to feel more like a puzzle where you can see and know the solution but have to trudge through the motions to get there, occasionally relying on RNG to deal you a good hand. While I initially felt very positively about the game, by the end I was relieved rather than satisfied having beaten it and being able to put it behind me.

Linkyn

Main Post

Game 07: Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
Game 08: Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

I decided to combine the next two games for this year within a single update. I pretty much did one right after the other, and they fit together so nicely, it would have felt strange to pause and comment before being completely done.

It's been some time since I gave these two a go (and I always end up playing them both simply for reasons of story continuity). Now that I'm done, I mostly have two observations: Firstly, either I've become a much better RTS player, or I'm terribly misremembering the difficulty level of some of the later missions. Secondly, I can still say that every time I play Warcraft III, without fail, it makes me want to reactivate my WoW account and level up a new alt. There's no escaping the mighty Warcraft lore. I'll also definitely have to look into some pre-Cata servers to redo some of the older zones in all their frustrating glory.

original post

286px-LIMBO_Logo.svg.png

Game 6: Limbo (PC) - 3 hours

LTTP. The game has very good (non-handholdey) puzzle platforming design with pretty good atmosphere, sometimes even suspense. Controls feel good, even if rarely not quite responsive enough. Found 3 out of 11 extra thingies.

BraXzy

I was really looking forward to this, and while I felt it was a solid game and the dialogue system was clever and unique, I was never fully grabbed by the story or characters and was ultimately left a little disappointed. The ending especially felt a little rushed. I may playthrough this again in the future and make different choices to see how things play out.

Original Post

hMttnwV.png

GAME 12: Oxenfree - 4.5 Hours - 17/01/2016 - PC

Supernatural coming of age story told in a very clever way through the use of a "real time" dialogue system that felt really fresh and innovative. A few hiccups here and there though with interruptions I didn't want to make. The overall art style and visuals were great and really added to the atmosphere. The actual gameplay was fairly basic, and the walking speed got a little tiring. The characters and story were good but never fully grabbed me. Enjoyable but ultimately a little disappointing.

Yeah, same here. Currently playing Tales from the Borderlands and counting each episode as one game in my list would feel somehow cheap to me. But if it's what I need to get to my 52, I'll probably do it anyway. I mean with a full-time job it's already hard to finish just one game a week.

ta155

OP

8. Disney Infinity 3.0 Force Awakens Play Set

I think I can count this? Was probably the weakest of the three Star Wars play sets, but it might just be because I'm burnt out on the formula after the first two.

Obviously I didn't expect a completely faithful adaptation of the film, but still think they butchered the story and a lot of potentially cool gameplay moments were wasted. The Kylo Ren boss fight was ridiculous.

That said, the new figures are awesome and I like how they play in game. It looked nice, too, and was a decent few hours long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom