• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread [LAST DAY FOR VOTING]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjasper

1. BloodBorne ; First game in a long time that as soon as I beat it I started new game + and just kept going. Probably my favorite of the Souls type games and easily my favorite game this year.

2. Super Mario Maker ;

3. Star Wars Battlefront ;

4. The Witcher 3 ;

5. Xenoblade Chronicles X ;

6. Trails in the Sky SC ;

7. Majora's Mask 3D ;

8. Metal Gear Solid V ;

I'll try to get some other comments in but doubt it will happen.

1. the witcher 3 ; definitely the game of the year. The best game I have played bar none.
  2. fallout 4 ; A great successor for the franchise. I just wish it was longer.
  3. Wolfenstein old blood ; The new wolfenstein game was a huge hit. I knew i had to play this.
  4. soma ; not a huge horror fan but this was the horror game I could get behind.
  5. mad max ; more licensed games need to be made by Avalanche Studios
  6. tales from the borderlands ; Very funny, enjoyed the story.
  7. cities skyline ; this is what simcity should have been. It shows that you can accomplish a lot with a small studio.

Qwark

1. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Ori is a tragic, beautiful masterpiece. It’s the best Metroidvania game in years and it’s more than worth the asking price. Go buy it.
2. Splatoon ; Who would’ve guessed that they would release the best shooters of the year? It’s charming, approachable, and has a ton of depth. The game started out a bit light on content, but Nintendo’s done a great job adding in free modes, weapons, and stages.
3. Axiom Verge ; Axiom Verge was created by one person, Thomas Happ. That alone is impressive, but even more impressive is how delightful the game is. It’s just the right mix of puzzles and exploration, with retro graphics and sound that supplement the experience perfectly. It was a great year for Metroidvania fans, Nintendo take note.
4. Jackbox Party Pack 2 ; The first Party Pack was an awesome surprise, a collection of games that a whole room of people can play. The second party pack contains followups to previous standouts Fibbage and Quiplash (originally standalone), and adds other great party games in Bomb Corp and Earwax. It’s a great package, even though Drawful has been replaced with the slightly less fun Bidiots.
5. Rock Band 4 ; The music genre is back! After five long years, the plastic guitar genre came back with both Rock Band and Guitar Hero releases. Rock Band is a pretty safe sequel, even dropping some features, but it’s the same great jam session and it’s still compatible with older songs.
6. Rocket League ; Rocket League managed to do something I thought was impossible, make sports games interesting. For once, I felt like an important and skilled part of a team. Who knew all it took was adding rocket cars into the mix?
7. Until Dawn ; Until Dawn had all the makings of a train wreck: a cheesy, motion-controlled, QTE-driven, PS3 horror game. A couple delays later, dropping motion controls, upgrading to current gen, and it turned out to be a pleasant surprise. Granted it’s still cheesy, but it’s truly a gripping experience, and it’s a great game to play with a group.
8. Tearaway Unfolded ; Tearaway is a strange case, it’s not a sequel to the 2013 Vita version of the game, and it’s not a direct port either. It sits somewhere between a reboot and remake. It’s got a good amount of new content, and all of the charm of the original all finely tuned for the PS4. It’s a great little 3D platformer, that is selling terribly… please buy Tearaway.
9. Transformers: Devastation ; I never watched the original Transformers cartoon, but that didn’t stop me from loving my time with Devastation. It’s a gorgeous, blistering, 80’s romp. It would probably be higher on this list if it wasn’t such a short game.
10. Super Mario Maker ; After years of people making homebrew Mario levels, Nintendo finally made it official. It's one of the more intuitive designers available, only held back by an annoying unlock system (which may have been patched?), and the lack of slopes.

Honorable Mentions
x.Bloodborne ; It's pretty, atmospheric, and hard as balls.
x. Guitar Hero Live ; Guitar Hero tried some new things, and it mostly paid off.

I would've put the patch for Digimon Re:Digitize in here, but apparently it doesn't count because it's not original work. Understandable, but it still has a place in my own top 10.

robotrock

Banned
1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Yeah, I loved it. The controls make it feels incredible to play. I could watch snake crawling up a slope for a good sixty hours. Always played Metal Gear Solid for the story mainly, and that kind of took a backseat in this game. Which is cool and all, because the little bits of story that were there were brilliant by being incredibly dumb, which is just how I like my Metal Gear.
2. The Witcher 3 ; Never really been a WRPG person, but dug this quite a bit. Captivated me for the fifty or so hours I spent in the world, even if the controls were kind of garbage.
3. Undertale ; Super charming with a cast of great characters.
4. Rocket League ; I nearly considered buying a racing wheel for this
5. Splatoon ; Gyro aiming is amazing. Swimming is fun too.
6. Transformers: Devastation; Platinum again delivers an incredible action game with some serious replay value. Loved the combat in this, as well as the soundtrack.
7. Fallout 4 ; Fallout 4 is the second Bethesda game I actually invested some time into (First was Skyrim). It’s a cool universe, and I had fun mindlessly doing some sidequests for many hours. Nothing really substantial though….it’s just alright. It’s on this list only because I like stories about robot rights probably way too much.
8. Life is Strange; Some of the worst dialogue I’ve seen in a video game. For some reason, I still found myself invested in the overall mystery of the Arcadia Bay. Rewinding time is kind of a neat innovation in one of those newfangled adventure games. Opens up a lot of interesting options.
9. N++ ; Tough platformer that’s highly rewarding and an INCREDIBLE soundtrack.
10. The Beginners Guide; This game has a message, and the way it’s delivered is neat.

x. Bloodborne ; Had fun.
x. Emily is Away; Duuuuude, that Windows XP interface is so goddamn sick. As well as the way you type in this game, and the keyboard sounds, and the avatars...it’s incredible. Must play.

sixghost

1. Bloodborne ; I'm not sure how much longer they can keep making this same game, but a few mechanics changed up the gameplay just enough.
2. Kerbal Space Program ;
3. Grow Home ;
4. Rocket League ;

1. Tales From The Borderlands ; the best Telltale game so far, with an excellent and hilariou story.
2. Batman: Arkham Knight ; Shite performance initially, but a stunning world with addictive mix of stealth/action that never got boring.
3. Pillars of Eternity ; Best classic RPG to come out in years, outclassed FO4 among others.
4. Rocket League ; Unadulterated fun, simple to play, difficult to master.
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Incredibly deep, incredibly time consuming. Beautifully crafted.
6. Prison Architect ; Both funny and a wholly original sim/management game.
7. Cities: Skylines ; Can be thought of us a well executed Sim City.
8. FIFA 16 ; The usual quality, with slower gameplay. Still the best party game around.
9. Fallout 4 ; Not as good as Obsidian games, but a lot better when you avoid internet forums and just enjoy the game.
10. Total War: Attila ; Iterative sequel, but more of the same winning formula.

Kodaman

1. Splatoon ; Nothing comes close to me this year. Countless hours in what it quickly becoming my most played game. Ever. I can't count the times when I turned on the console to play another game and ended up playing just Splatoon. Is that addicting. A breath of fresh air.

2. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I can play sessions of this game not talking to anyone and fighting very little, just taking screenshots of those hotdamn sexy landscapes. The magnitude and beauty of Mira is just on another level. A new bar to compare for any game to come in that regard.

3. Art Academy: Home Studio ; While not really a game, this incredibly crafted piece of software deserves a spot. It feels like a work of love in every detail developers put in it. Shame on GAF for forgetting this one.

3. Mario Kart 8: DLC Pack 2 ; Excellent additions to an already fantastic game. So many session of fun (and raaageeee!!!) that I won't forget. It won't be easy for the next iteration to surpass this.

4. Fast Racing Neo ; I know. it's not F-Zero. But damn its fast. And fluid. I'll have a hard time playing a racing game at 30 fps ever again.

Calabria

Banned
You're essentially asking people who have already put a substantial amount of time and effort into running this thread to devote even more time and effort because a few people can't follow directions. Every time someone does their ballot wrong, several people chime in to help them fix it. If after all that, there are still a few people doing it wrong, so what? They can try again next year.

Also, given all your earlier complaints about how long this was taking and how you wanted the results immediately, I'd think you'd be happy that they have a process in place that'll allow them to post results within a few hours of the voting being closed.

Aye aye captain, I will shut up now, won't say anything anymore till the result is announced

1. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; I love the sense of exploration and wonder in this game, though I felt the skells kind of ruined that. Would've preferred if they weren't in the game at all. X was also a huge improvement over the original XC in terms of playable characters, side quests, and combat. I didn't particularly mind how they de-emphasized the story, but if they make a sequel, I'd like to see the main story get fleshed out more.

But the music, man. The music in Xenoblade Chronicles X is such a shitshow. ugh.

2. Shovel Knight: Plague of Shadows ; I was pretty disappointed to see Plague of Shadows get completely overlooked on GOTY lists. The game is still as great as ever, and Yacht Club did a fantastic job making Plague Knight play differently from Shovel Knight while still making him feel like a natural part of the game world.. You wouldn't know he was a DLC character released a year later.

3. Undertale ; I'm not as in love with Undertale as lost of people seem to be, but there's no doubt a ton of care went into the game. Best soundtrack of the year, too.

4. Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell ; A scaled back Saints Row that nevertheless was pretty fun and funny. Not a great game, but for a short spinoff that cost me $5, I can't complain.

5. Puzzle and Dragons Z + Super Mario Bros. Edition ; This was a weird game in that it was entirely too easy at first, then hit a sweet spot where the difficulty was just right, and then toward the end became a slog with enemies having way too many hit points. This applied both to the regular and Mario Bros. edition, which was a shame. Still, it was a pretty fun game when it was in that sweet spot.

Yeah, that's about it. 2015, not a good year for releases. Great for announcements, but not for releases.

Grisby

1. Bloodborne ; I think this was the best 'playing' game for me this year. FROM took their Dark Souls design and spazzed it up by removing shields and armor, instead choosing to focus on fast paced action and dodging. Every time I beat a boss I felt a sort of thrill that only these games can give you.
The Victorian atmosphere and nightmarish creature/world design tickled that Jack The Ripper bone something fierce and helped cast it into the number one slot.
There are a few negatives, in that sometimes you need to farm health items. I only had to do it once or twice, but I felt the estus flasks were a better mechanic. The story is still as obtuse as ever, but it's cool how the game turns from hunting beasts into Lovecraft mythos stuff.
One thing I realized, that even though I had finished a level/bosses and memorized each enemy placement, I still felt like something could attack me from the shadows. A shame I couldn't get attached to any of the paper thin characters, but that department was handled superbly by a game that may as well be tied for this spot. I'm talking about the...
2. The Witcher III: The Wild Hunt ; This game is an incredible achievement. The world is massive, yet it feels like it's all handcrafted down to the last tree limb. Quests that are worth your time, and not the usual fetch stuff, litter the three massive areas and most of them had interesting short vignettes to tell. I'm a big fan of the books and I felt like Geralt's game version had a nice ending.
There are a few niggles here and there that stand out. Romancing a certain girl is a shallow experience thanks to the devs mainly focusing on another. The combat is alright, but I still feel it wasn't as engaging as it should have been. Skelliege's constant boating trips became a bore, and Roach was probably the dumbest horse in the pantheon of video-game horses.
Still, it was a hell of a ride. I was looking at screenshots of this the other night and couldn't help but marvel at how the graphics were on consoles. Take Fallout 4's character models and compare them to a single NPC in Witcher and the difference in quality is crazy.
I had a damn good time, and I really hope Ciri gets her own game so we can continue having adventures in the Witcher universe. I hope the next game has a few big heavy hitter moments like the ones that were featured in...
3. Life Is Strange ; Whooo boy. This is was a rollercoaster of a ride. DNOD's last effort, the action adventure Remember Me, struck a chord with me through its fantastic sci-fi Paris design and awesome music. There was a decent story there and some competent mechanics, but it wasn't as good as it could have been.
In LIS, DNOD chose to focus on the narrative, and while I was initially put off by the teenage talk, I was pulled in immensely by the second episode. The devs feign the importance of your actions well, and build a cast of characters that are likable and descriptive.
I mean, I was a teenage girl at an art prep school who had..well...a lot of shit happen to her the first twenty minutes of the game. And then I got rewind powers. And then I was hit with more photography lingo.
The downside is, the ending felt botched, and the devs clearly wanted their story to have a focused ending. However, this means that a lot of your choices have a false ring to them, and somehow, moments that were special become a little less fun to remember.
By and large though, this was the most unique experience I had this year. Some moments in LIS hit me harder than anything else I have experienced in a game before. I hella recommend it. I wonder what LIS 2 would be like though if they made it an open world stealth game with some of the best controls and open world combat ever seen. Hey, It'd probably turn out like...
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Ok, so the story here kind of blows. However, it was a trade off I was willing to make because the open world stealth gameplay was so good. Snake moves really well and there's a weight to all of his actions. Sneaking around bases and going at objectives with different tactics all felt great.
Throw in some awesome buddies and you've got a really fun playground. WHOA HHHHHOOOOoo-
Wait. Hold up.
This game should be higher, but Konami fucked it up. I finished it after all of that insurance and penalizing offline players came out, but man, that bullshit still made my blood boil. Not all of it is their fault though, Kojima should have had a better ending and used that awesome Sins of the Father song in a cooler manner. He should have taken inspiration on that front from...
5. Tales From The Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; This was a genuinely funny game. I really like Borderlands 'lore/universe' (of what there is) and Telltale crafted a story with it that Gearbox will probably never reach.
On the downside, the engine is still bad, and episode 5 on the X1 stuttered really badly. There were some moments that could have been cut out, and one episode was a bit weak.
Game was a damn good one and I'll remember it fondly. That ending...almost as good as the best one this year, which was in...
6. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; Take classic RE elements, and through in modern controls while sprinkling some RE lore cheese and bam, great RE game. Throw in a good raid mode, and some fun extras that make the game worth replaying, and-WHAT ARE YOU DOING, GO PLAY RESIDENT EVIL REVELATIONS 2. What a hell of an ending for a long time RE fan. Goddamn.
Some of the Barry scenes were a little lame, and they didn't get MP for raid mode until a month or so out. The graphics were a little cheap, but I think any game's graphics would be cheap this year if you compared them to the high production value of...
7. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; What a gorgeous game. What a gorgeous game. CD really hit it out of the park with Lara's new adventure and I had a blast going through the more open areas and challenge tombs. There were very long stretches of time where there was no combat at all and I was just exploring the lovingly detailed environments. Even the story, a big forgettable experience in the first game, received a massive upgrade here.
I did have some of the aiming problems that people talk about, and the arcade mode/expedition deal wasn't very well thought out. The bigger levels don't make for a fun arcade like experience, which is what I think it should have been.
Hell of a game though, and I eagerly look forward to double dipping on the ps4 game and playing the DLC. Lara's jumps were exhilarating sometimes, but not like the ones that happened in...
8. Dying Light ; A surprise hit for me. I'm not a fan of the Dead Island series, but I became a fan of this. Fun traversal mechanics (the biggest plus in any open world game) and some fun combat made for a fun time.
The overall narrative it was limp, and the quest design eehhhh, but I am looking forward to the DLC. A lot. MP was also crappy, and couldn't hold a candle to...
9. Halo 5 ; 343 stormed the gates and made one of the bets playing Halo's in years. I could not wait to start a second campaign after the first run, and I've been coming back to MP a lot since release.
The story was a let down, mostly because I feel like they talked a big game before pre-release that they could not reach. Too many characters were on screen, thanks to the 4 player co-op (which added next to nothing if you were playing by yourself), and that meant little to no narrative for each of them. A shame, since they brought in some heavy book hitters. A great game, and 343 should feel proud, but maybe not as proud as the devs that made...
10. Ori and the Blind Forest ; This is a beautifully crafted game, and a surprisingly hard one at time. Not SMB hard or anything like that, but it offered a fun challenge. It was clearly made by a group off passionate and very talented developers who are also gamers. Good work y'all, you made a classic.

Honorable Mentions
x. Assassins Creed Syndicate ; Back on the AC train, literally. I love that this year was the Victorian year, and Syndicate added to it nicely. The brother and sister narrative was fun, and a lot of the activities were nice to do. This might be the last 'classic' AC, and it's a good game to go out on. A worthy one.
x. Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward ; Spent a lot of time on this game and it would have made the list if it wouldn’t have been such a unique year filled with unique gaming experiences. It's still an MMO, a fun one, but at the end of the dy there is still a grind. You know what though? I'll do that grind, thanks to the classic FF story that Square has crafted for your MC to participate in.

K.N.W.

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain; Finally a game that understands my tactics and reacts giving proper equipment to soldiers, forcing me to always change tactics.
2. Bloodborne; Best overall experience this year, with deep combat, a deep world to explore and a deep story to discover.
3. Xeboblade Chronicles X; Really fun combat system, lots of quests, weapons and characters, and an immense world to explore in a flying mech, I cloudn't ask for more.
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider; Very fun game with lots of places to explore, easy but really good.

Stefs

Banned
Sorry in front, for grammar errors.

the-witcher-3-new-e1433431220213.jpg

1. WITCHER 3 ; What can I say more than what was said on the past 60+ pages. I am really,really into the Witcher universe, after playing Witcher 1 and 2 couple of years ago, and then me who is a teacher and likes to read a bit, decided to read all the books and boy they were great. Playing Witcher 3, I had a genuine feeling that I was in the universe described by the Witcher books,such a good combo these 2 mediums, gaming and literature. The places and the atmosphere from the books translates nicely in the game. With a great story, interesting main and exciting side quests, very nice graphic, intriguing characters, splendid music, and also a good and functional combat system with many ways to fight, this game deserves my Game of the Year. Man, this game has it all when I think about it. Of course there are minor complaints, like a bit of stiff movement from Geralt and the dam Roach, also games on normal maybe even hard mode gets easy quick, so I recommend anyone to play it on death march or atleast hard mode.There we go, Witcher 3, game of the year, and for me, maybe, the game of this generation. Well played, CD Projekt Red.

metal-gear-solid-5-quiet.jpg

2. METAL GEAR SOLID V ; Still remember me as kid playing that goofy movie game Metal gear solid on ps1, I was blown away by the cutscenes, by Snake and gameplay, those boss encounters and so on. I always said jokingly that Metal Gear Solid 1 was my favourite movie. Skip past around 16,17 years, we get Metal Gear Solid V. With great trailers and being the last Kojima's Metal gear, the hype was trough the roof, I was on the MGS bandwagon mostly because of the story. The gameplay in all the series was good and was always evolving, but I was in it for the story. Well everyone who played this game knows that the story took a backseat in this game, no more long cutscenes, no long dialogs,
for me a bit disappointing that we are not the real Snake,
. Also it is clear as the sky, that this game is unfinished, from the acts, and a hacked story progression.So in the story department I was a bit dissapointed, but with time I learned to appreciate the ending and the twist, which you can figure it out like 1 hour in the game.
But the gameplay, bro's, the gameplay is better than anything I played in my life. The feel of moving Snake,shooting and sneaking with him is perfect, the ways of handling the mission, the creativity and nonlinearity this game is incredible.Also the companions were interesting, making the game even more creative on the ways you can take on missions. Also the graphics are very nice, and really played nicely on a Pc, having a budget Pc, can almost get you to 60 fps, which is a little technical marvel, kudos to Fox engine.
The only complain I have is Quiet, really good and interesting character, nice ending of her arc to but, I really don't mind having sexy females in games, even with the bikini and thong is not THAT bad, but please, with those camera zooms and pans, and when she shows her ass to me always on the chopper....Kojima pls. I was feeling pervy and a bit shamed, and this was first time that a game did that to me. What sometimes keeps me awake at nights is, what could Metal Gear Solid V have been, if it there was no Kojima/Konami split, if the game was fully finished, who knows how much better this game would be. If the story was better and this game not unfinished, this game would be The Game of my Life. But for now, MGS V deserves 2nd place in the year 2015, and a high place in my heart.

3. BLOODBORNE ;
bloodborne_large_art-1152x720.jpg

4. RISE OF THE TOMB RAIDER ;
maxresdefault.jpg

5. UNTIL DAWN ;
960150.jpg

6. ASSASSINS' CREED: SYNDICATE ;
2912955-acsyndicate_upt2015_20150729_v2.jpg

7. FALLOUT 4 ;
f4-logo.JPG

8. BATMAN: ARKHAM KNIGHT ;
maxresdefault.jpg

9. HER STORY ;
maxresdefault.jpg

10. RESIDENT EVIL: HD Remaster ;
cover4.jpg

Unfortunatly, I am pretty new at GAF, and didn't have time to vote earlier for GAF game of the year, I would have liked to write up for every choice of mine,too bad I prolly won't make it. 2015 was a good year for games, come at us 2016.

My new GOTY is counting how many points will be subtracted from Broodybuns

I'm going to change my username to Semicolon and see how few people are be able to read or reply to my posts

1. Bloodborne ; If you're wondering why I only have four games on my list, blame From Software, because I spent the better part of 8 months playing nothing but Bloodborne. For me, Demon's Souls and its spiritual sequels have defined the past half-decade of video games, largely through their superb combat mechanics, clever level design, and inspired boss encounters, and this latest entry hits a high water mark in all three of these elements. The combat in particular is a massive step forward, eschewing the turtling of previous entries for a frantic ballet of last-second dodges and daring counter-punches. (I don't know if I can go back to standing in front of humanoid enemies, playing that weird game of chicken where the first one to pointlessly slam their weapon against the other's shield dies.) It also manages to be the most welcoming entry in the series, while still satisfying gluttons for punishment. If you're looking for a challenge, strap in for some devious bosses in the chalice dungeons, along with probably the most difficult low-level run in the series. Toss in the game's unique atmosphere and you have an incredible package. It's by a wide margin the best game I've played this year but even that sells it short: If five years from now, I can look back and say Bloodborne wasn't my game of the generation, it will have been a hell of a generation.

2. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; An MGS game that strips away much of the long-winded, pretentious anime nonsense, and places the focus squarely on Tactical Espionage Action -- what's not to like? I've never felt more like a covert bad-ass than I do playing this game. From scoping out the area to plan your approach, to interrogating a low-level schmuck for valuable info before slicing his throat, then sneaking past several of his comrades before running afoul of one of them and using your quick reflexes to stick a tranquilizer in his head before he makes a scene, it all plays great. The wide array of weapons and tools also give you a ton of fun options to play around with, and controlling Snake has never felt better. And there's a lot of depth added by the overall mission structure and base-building, but it never feels overwhelming because you can discover it bit by bit at your own pace.

3. Super Mario Maker ; Anyone who's been playing video games since the 80s or 90s speaks a common language called 2D Mario, and with Super Mario Maker Nintendo have let us speak to each other in that language. The creation tools are so user-friendly that anyone can just start plopping down game elements, and because of that common language, both the creator and the player instantly know how it'll all work. I've had a blast tinkering with my own levels and playing others'. Many of the best levels feel like a puzzle, and are completely different from anything that's appeared in an actual Mario game. I have a feeling I'll be playing this game for a long time to come.

4. Splatoon ; I hate competitive online games. I always suck at them, and end up getting insulted by prepubescent voices the whole time. For whatever reason my experience with Splatoon has been completely different. Maybe the player base is less skilled, or maybe it's different enough from a typical shooter that those 12-year-olds who pour hours a day into Call of Duty can't translate their thousands of hours of experience over to it, or maybe the skill ceiling is just lower. Whatever the reason, I've found it extremely accessible and fun, and I feel like there's still a lot of depth left for me to discover. Most importantly, it's the most fresh thing Nintendo's done in a long time, and I mean that both in the sense of being refreshingly unique, and also in terms of the game's inimitable style.

1. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt; I don't buy a lot of games, since I don't have much time to play them anymore. The Witcher 3 is my personal game of the year, with the caveat that I haven't had time to play many of these other games people are mentioning. I'm only about halfway through the main quest-line, but so far I'm loving every minute of it. The open world is beautiful and interesting, and the writing is quite good as well. I know not everyone enjoyed the combat in this game, but I've not had any major issues with it. It feels like more and more games, both on console/PC and on mobile are designed to waste our time with endless quests, loot grinds, and collectibles. I'm very grateful that CDPR decided to make a game that respects my time, and doesn't try to artificially increase the amount of content available. From what I've seen so far, most of the quests seem to have a story to them, which is more than you can say for most games in this genre. I'm looking forward to seeing what CDPR can think up next.

Finally getting back into gaming a little bit. Didn't play too many games this year though.

1. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege ; Despite all it's issues early on, and lack of singleplayer anything really, this game has captivated me more than anything else in a long time. I can't stop playing. All the operators feel well balanced, the maps are great, and the gameplay is tense and exciting and frustrating. Will be playing this for a long time coming and given the free support coming soon.
2. Cities: Skylines ; The best city builder in what a decade? The spiritual successor to Sim City cannot be ignored and low cost of entry and numerous mods and great modding tools (including pretty low level access to Unity and the game itself) make this a must have for any fans of city builders.
3. Rocket League ; It's racing. It's soccer (football). it's carball. it's amazing. the learning curve is both easy and difficult at times but nothing feels quite like your first goal or hitting the ball and having it go in the net after a kickass set up.
4. Fallout 4 ; Another Bethesda hoarding simulator, I put more time in it in two weeks than I'm comfortable saying. Story itself was okay, better than Fallout 3 but it left a lot to be desired given it's linearity and lack of truly impact-full decisions ala Fallout: New Vegas. Combat is vastly improved to the point where it's possible to run the whole game and not need to use VATS once which is a good sign to me.
5. Kerbal Space Program ; Now that it's finally released I feel the need to give it a mention just because of the sheer scope and how successful and great the Early Access campaign was (it's a perfect working example of how useful it can be, even with all the bullshit that permeates through Steam Early Access now.
6. Grand Theft Auto V ; I'm not the biggest fan of the setting (I actually preferred GTA IV's city setting) the arcadey fun and over the top-ness can't be understated, and playing online with friends is still a blast.
7. Assassin's Creed Syndicate ; I'll admit I haven't played many of the assassin's creed's since Brotherhood (and not even finished that) so I'm not as burnt out as some. Definitely reminds me of Assassin's Creed 2 in a lot of ways and I really enjoy the London setting.

Honorable Mentions
x. The Order: 1886 ; Bought for 9 bucks. Definitely got my money's worth. If it were $60 I would've been upset but the game itself is absolutely gorgeous and the story, while short is pretty decent, though leaves a bit to be desired.
x. FIFA 16 ; Haven't played a FIFA game in probably 7 years now. The changes are great as is to be expected after a 7 year gap.

Stefs

Banned
Check the OP again, your semicolons are in the wrong place.

Thanks a lot, I would have been disappointed if I got disqualified, and I would prolly be, cus I just went to sleep. Ty for the quick correction. I think it is fine now. Excited for the results tomorrow.

Thanks a lot, I would have been disappointed if I got disqualified, and I would prolly be, cus I just went to sleep. Ty for the quick correction. I think it is fine now. Excited for the results tomorrow.

Put the comments on the same line as the game name yo.

o8MC8RH.jpg

1. Life Is Strange ; I went into this game not knowing anything about it other than it looked interesting and word of mouth was good, which is usually enough to get me drop money on a game these days. I waited for all of the episodes to release so I could play then all at once as I usually do with episodic series and thankfully I did as I don't know how I would have been able to cope with the cliffhangers and anticipation for each new episode if I played them when they first released. By now most people know all about the game so I won't rehash a boring summary of the story or game mechanics as I'd rather write about how deeply I was engaged and how I felt after completing the game.

I love almost all of these "story-based" games like the types that Telltale and David Cage have been releasing over the past several years as they are completely different experiences than anything else you get from any other AAA or indie games. Despite the criticisms of the "illusion of choice" and writing/dialogue that doesn't live up to some people's expectations these types of games more than any really get me to role-play a character which ends up completely immersing me into the story. As a 33 year old male who has lived on the East Coast in both the city and suburbs I was surprised how much the story of a high school age girl and her daily drama resonated with me. I felt a strange nostalgia for a life that I had no experience with but everything was packaged so perfectly that I couldn't help being hooked.

I enjoyed every minute of my journey with Max, Chloe and all of the other memorable characters. I really took my time, tried to interact with everything I could, spoke to everyone around, and thoroughly explored all of the possible outcomes of each conversation to make the best possible choice for my Max. In doing so I was completely satisfied with how the story concluded. I expected a few more answers and hoped the story would slant more towards the supernatural, but that was not the case., Those minor disappointments were not enough to put a damper on what was an amazing experience from beginning to end. I ended up playing Tales from the Borderlands directly after this game, and it stood out how much more advanced Dontnod's tech and player choice structure are implemented then what Telltale are churning out right now. The superior visuals and control were accompanied by one of the most memorable soundtracks I've experienced since Nier. Both the licensed tracks and original compositions along with how much effort was put into environment detail help create the one of the most believable and memorable game worlds I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Life is Strange is an outstanding accomplishment and one of the can't miss games of 2015 that I hope serves as a launching pad that inspires other talented creators to bring their ideas to this genre so that we get more masterpieces like this.

Yll53mS.jpg

2. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege ; I'm a huge fan of the Rainbow Six series, Tom Clancy games and tactical shooters. I was very much looking forward to Siege and then I started hearing bad word of mouth about people who played it at a very early stage, and then I played the Alpha and Beta and came away very disappointed at some of the design decisions and the unacceptable matchmaking issues. I planned on holding off at least a few weeks after launch to allow Ubisoft to try to salvage what looked to be a disaster with major patches... and then it released and to most people's surprise the reviews were really positive and almost every single one of the problems I had with the Beta which ended a day before the official release date were addressed, so I jumped in and haven't regretted that decision one bit.

I was personally looking forward to only Terrorist Hunt mode where you a few friends play against the A.I. as my friends and I spent countless hours in this mode on both of the Rainbow Six Vegas games and on its equivalent game mode in the older Ghost Recon games and it delivers in Siege. The "squad" size of 5 is larger than most other PvE games that they released in awhile which is great compared to something like Destiny where you have to leave people behind unless you are raiding. On Hard or Realistic difficulty the A.I. is damn good and sometimes spectacular using the destructibility and gadgets to find intelligent ways to kill you. Its an almost infinitely replayable mode with multiple unique game modes, 11 good to great maps and different ways to approach each playthrough with unique operators. Terrorist Hunt is only held back by the fact it runs at 30 fps vs the multiplayer portion of the game which runs at a smooth 60 and it relies on peer to peer connectivity with no host migration which means when the host dies first, is impatient and decides to quit your session is ended which sucks.

I was really skeptical about the PvP portion of the game as I was worried they were focusing too much on making it a eSports stream sensation rather than a true tactical shooter. I was also initially disappointed in the length of the rounds as I thought it wouldn't allow enough time for true tactics to be utilized and thankfully I was wrong in both cases. Siege more than any other FPS in recent memory is remarkably balanced. You can tell the dev team at Ubisoft Montreal put a lot of thought into all of the design decisions in the game. Everything from the unique gadgets of each Operator, from the destructibility of the environments to how the health and armor systems work all come together near perfectly to create a unique experience that you cannot get anywhere else on console. The time limit works perfectly combined with the allocated extra time at the beginning of the rounds when the attackers gather intel while the defenders prepare and reinforce their position.

Rainbow Six Siege is not without it's problems as it still struggles sporadically on PS4 with matchmaking issues from time to time and the devs have yet to find solutions to a few exploits that cause frustration along with how to handle not-accidental teamkilling which happens a bit too often for my tastes. Playing Rainbow Six Siege I've experienced some of the best teamwork and communication (even with randoms) and tense game moments than I have with any game in a long long time. Despite its few flaws its an excellent game with a full year of free new map and operator DLC that should help it continue to slowly grow into a game that will gain a lot of popularity with gamers looking from something new and fresh and at worst provide inspiration to a genre that is desperately in need of it.

zuRAsN1.jpg

3. Rocket League ; Everyone knows what this gem is about by now. I still play this regularly despite being pretty bad at it. The matchmaking does a pretty good job of putting me up against similarly awful players and I still have fun most of the time. Thr post launch support for the game has been second to none with plenty of new interesting game modes and cosmetic items and great technical support outside of their struggles with demand at launch on PS4 and PC. I look forward to those who only have Xbox One getting a chance to play this truly great game as well. Thank you to Psyonix for believing in your original concept of SARPBC, improving it significantly and bringing it to the masses to enjoy.

jV4Qqff.jpg

4. Tales from the Borderlands: Episodes 2-5 ; First off I would like to thank banned former member Zabuza for their thread "Everyone needs to play Tales from the Borderlands" which was that extra push I needed to buy and try this. As I mentioned in my comments on Life is Strange I love these story-based games, but had a bad experience with Borderlands 2 and didn't even give this title a chance because of that. Thankfully I was wrong about my preconceptions and GAF was around to convince me to play this, which ended up being the perfect game to play after Life is Strange which ends on a pretty somber note, where this was a lighthearted and humorous pick me up that I needed at the time.

I also mentioned in my LiS comments that the Telltale "tech" shows its age after playing Life is Strange, but this didn't lessen the experience too much for me. The Telltale cell-shaded look combined perfectly with the Borderlands aesthetic. The QTEs weren't very frequent and were implemented pretty simplistically until they were ratcheted up in complexity significantly during the final battle of the game which was unforgettable. This game like most other story driven games lives or dies with its characters and this is where Tales from the Borderlands shined. Rhys, Fiona, Sasha, Vaughn, Loader Bot, Gortys all had great personalities that were voiced by some of the industries best voice actors and the game's secondary cast of memorable misfits were no slouches either all combining to tell and fun and interesting story. Keep em coming Telltale games!

9IKVlA8.jpg

5. Madden NFL 16 ; Im a huge NFL football fan, and Madden fan and last year was the first Madden in a long time that I considered a playable good game. Madden 16 continued to evolve of the improvements of 15 and packed a lot of great changes into a 1 year dev cycle. The biggest change is the new catching mechanics, which add some strategy to the quarterback/receiver dynamic. This was implemented pretty well, primarily with significant improvements to both catch animations and receiver/defender battles for the ball. The mechanic is pretty balanced, but the Aggressive catch animations need to be toned down as there are too many outrageous one handed catches that happen on a regular basis.

The second most significant improvement to me is that penalties finally work! (offline only). Its a bit ridiculous that it took over 20 years for EA to fix the penalties so that actually occur on a regular basis and that you can also adjust their frequency, but better late than never. Seeing things like pass interference and illegal contact happen in Madden are shocking, but are a significant part of NFL football that has been a long time coming to Madden. I hope the devs take it a step further, ignore the vocal minority and add penalties into online ranked games as well next year as it is a significant dimension of NFL football that needs to be accounted for. Lazy, scared, entitled gamers over the years have grown comfortable not needing to deal with random penalties impacting the game, but I feel penalties are necessary to demonstrate what happens when on-field players of different skill levels match up at specific positions most specifically in the trenches and WR vs DB.

The last improvement I'd like to show love to is presentation as they really handled this intelligently within the engine this year. Little interactions happen after almost every play with defensive backs talking smack in a receivers face when he drops the ball, or a variety of other celebrations or interactions that give the game a more realistic feel. This along with them finding a way to keep players from falling over each other like ragdolls when getting up from a pile all add to the illusion that you are viewing a real game finally. They also fixed the weird TD glitch from last year where the player would drop the ball immediately as they crossed the goal line everytime which looked really strange. It's too bad the commentary is bad as its ever been to ruin the audio part. The on-field audio has also surprisingly taken a step back as the sounds of pads and helmets clashing has been muted a bit, maybe at the NFL's request? Hopefully the audio side shows significant improvement next year.

The devs have expanded on their great Skills Trainer tutorial mode this year which is a brilliant idea that can help both new players and a vet like me learn skills and strategy needed to excel at playing the game. The expanded passing concepts section has done a lot to help me read coverages and choose plays over the past 2 years and I've been playing Madden since the beginning... The new Draft Champions mode is a nice diversion for those who don't love Ultimate Team but want to dabble in something different. I don't play many of the other modes, but I hear from friends both the online and offline Franchise Modes still need a lot of work with issues with progression and attributes primarily hampering the game. The core gameplay in Madden 16 is as good as its ever been in the franchise before. I finally have faith that Tiburon and EA are truly moving in the right direction after two strong efforts in a row.

JvAfbDr.jpg

6. NHL 16 ; Nice comeback attempt for the NHL series after the NHL 15 debacle where they misled fans of the series and then decided to charge full price for a barebones game that they had an extra year to develop. The main thing that most of fans of the series were anticipating was the return of EASHL mode, I commend EA Canada from sticking to their guns and reinventing this mode despite a lot of feedback about the changes before the game was released. The change to a class/role based player selection as opposed to one where you adjust and improve your attributes over time has lead to a better gameplay experience with less exploits and is accessible to more players. Gameplay at a first glance has not changed much as it looks to play very similarly to all of the other games in the series going back to 09 or 10 when they refined the gameplay last, but a lot has been done behind the scenes that makes the game feel and play differently than ever before.

The main change is how the puck reacts to sticks and other players as in the past it could get frustrating when puck handlers dangled their way through good defenses, maintained control of the puck and were able to shoot and score despite the defense doing a good job in their attempts to stop you. Now its near impossible to just bullrush your way wherever you want to to as you will lose control of the puck when it hits another player or stick in a more predictable manner. This forces offenses to have to work harder to find ways to score which in turn makes the game play out in a style that is a little closer to how real hockey plays rather than the back and forth arcadey games of the past. It is by no means close to a simulation yet, and probably will never be according to the devs, but the game plays a lot better than it ever has.

Besides most of the scrapped game modes returning to the series, the other notable improvements were those made to presentation. The commentary and visuals were revamped last year for current-gen and are still impressive. The TV broadcast presentation has been improved this year and in my opinion only trails the NBA2K series for closest representation of their sport from a visual standpoint. In the second part of a two year project EA Canada has continued to add personality to each team's arena and fan atmosphere, adding unique goal horns and goal songs for most teams and other pre-game and in-game nuances that make each game feel a little different.

The NHL series is now back on track and the minor improvements they have made over the past two years can serve as a solid foundation, but now its time to apply some real innovation and use the powerful technology of this gen's consoles to solve some of the legacy problems and get this game to look and play like a more authentic game of ice hockey.

IeerNjt.jpg

7. FIFA 16 ; If you can't tell by now I really like sports games. FIFA has been consistently the best sports game for the last decade or so with little competition, and this years effort is another strong one, but other series are improving at faster rates recently. A major change was made to on-field gameplay this year that has completely changed how the game is played and that is a seemingly artificial limit on how effective fast players are. Now it seems as if the game "cheats" to allow them to be caught in a foot race most times which forces a more authentic brand of soccer/football to be played. This "nerf" to speed was also accompanied by a "nerf" to over the top through balls which were most players 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th favorite option to try to score. They no longer reliably work which forces players to need to pass through the midfield more than ever which is a refreshing change. Another big improvement is to goalkeeper A.I. which was one of the back-of-the-box bullet point features of last year''s game which turned out terribly. GKs still do strange things from time to time, but are consistently good more frequently than ever.

A few new game modes were added, most notably the ability to play as Women's National Teams which is cool for young girls who idolize those players. They also added a mode similar to the Madden Draft Champions, I'm not sure of the name of it as I don't play it, but my friends seem to like it as a complement to Ultimate Team. The EA Canada continues to make nice incremental improvements to the game. They need to continue working on A.I of both field players and goalkeepers and should take a hard look and refining the game's control scheme again as there is a lack of player control from the fact that pressing one button can do 2 or 3 different things depending on circumstances. Something as simple as ensuring the shoot button is not the same as the tackle button would be nice to start as at times your button presses are queued and the action you meant to perform doesnt not play out as intended due to the complicated nature of the current control scheme. I don't have many complaints about the game this year, its arguably better than ever and I will continue to sink 100's of hours into it.

4rMVHOv.jpg

8. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Disclaimer. This game should probably appear much higher in my list but I have not had a chance to play it for long enough. I estimate I've only put about 10 hours into the game, but really liked what I've played so far. I stopped playing when some early glitches were discovered on PS4 and by the time they all got fixed I had moved onto other games. The visuals for an open world game are mighty impressive so far. I completed the Wticher 2 so I knew what to look forward to with the caliber of the story, but I've seen first hand so far even this early into the game how impressive the writing and integration of the sidequests are into the main story. I am looking forward to ploughing through this seemingly masterpiece and it's DLC soon enough and imagine it will end up near the top of my list once I finish.

fpHc43b.jpg

9. Bloodborne ; Disclaimer. This is another game should probably appear much higher in my list but I have not had a chance to play it for long enough. I've only played up to Father G at this point, but probably put about 10 hours into the game. I could never get into Dark Souls despite giving it two honest attempts. but Bloodborne right before I stopped playing it last really started to "click" for me. I no longer felt I was destined to die at every encounter and was confidently moving through Old Yarnham dispatching low level enemies with relative ease.

I don't think anyone can deny the game's art design and visuals are top notch. I've tried to not spoil much of the game past the first few hours were I left off, but from what I have seen myself so far and through various videos looks absolutely amazing. The designs of the architecture and enemies are just jaw dropping, both good and bad. What's even more amazing is that the level design is as much about substance as style with shortcuts that open up later that surprisingly link together this complex world. Bloodborne will be the first "souls" game I complete and afterwards I anticipate it will have earned a spot right near the top of my list.

FbFNxtu.jpg

10. Until Dawn ; Disclaimer. Until Dawn is yet another game that should probably appear much higher in my list but I have not had a chance to play it for long enough. I've only played for about 3 hours but really liked what I've seen so far, The visuals are amazing, voice acting has been quality so far with some of the performances really bringing the characters to life as kids that are annoying that I might not try to save. I love that the story has really started with a slow burn which has built an atmosphere of unpredictability. Really looking forward to playing through the entire game to see how it turns out.

Honorable Mentions
x. NBA 2K16 ; As I mentioned I love sports games. From what I've played of 2K so far this year it seems improved. I like how the player movement has been tightened to be more precise. I felt players with and without the ball slid around too much in previous year, which made it more difficult than it needed to be to play on-ball defense. This feels significantly different for the better this year. The presentation in NBA2K games has been second to none for a long time and they keep raising the bar. The coach and player interviews between quarters are impressive, players now photobomb interviews and they just have almost every aspect of an NBA game experience nailed. The only thing I would like to see if halftime and postgame highlight reels back and in full effect, otherwise keep refining the already solid gameplay. I'm getting back into following the NBA after a few years were I lost interest and am definitely looking forward to playing this more.

x. MLB 15: The Show ; Good ole solid MLB The Show. I'm not a big fan of baseball but I end up picking this up every year and playing it enough to justify the purchase. Gameplay felt pretty similar to previous years. I have some difficult with jank when fielding flyballs in past years that seems to have been addressed. Probably the biggest change for me was improvements to the UI, specifically them adding the button letters to each base which made it easier to throw the ball to the right base. They did a few new things contextual to help out players who weren't always 100% sure of the controls like me, which I appreciated. The other big improvement was that I felt the loading times were much better, All of the previous version took forever for the game to boot up initially and even longer to get a ballgame to start. The load times seem more reasonable, but could still stand to be improved further. Kudos again to San Diego Studio for continuing to create a great baseball game.

x. Driveclub Bikes ; This was the only other game I put significant enough time into to not feel weird about nominating. I love DriveClub, its probably my favorite racing game of all-time. I maxed out all of the stars in all of the car tours and have put countless hours into the main game. The price was right to pickup Bikes and I felt like I needed to support what's left of Evolution Studios as their post launch support and content has been amazing. Controlling the motorcycles feels pretty good. I actually thought it probably should be a little more difficult to make turns, but I'm sure they playtested and have their reasons for how it was implemented. You need a different approach to win vs how the tracks drive while in cars so it felt fresh enough as a standalone experience as well. I prefer cars to bikes, but it was a nice addition to the game that I enjoying putting several hours into.

No_Style

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt; After a two month lay off, I expected it to be tough to reintegrate with The Witcher 3 but that wasn’t the case. I fell right back into my love of Gwent, the alchemy and crafting, the exploring and the main story arch. It was actually my love of Gwent and its background tracks that hastened the entire process. The loading screen recaps reminded me where I left off and the loose and straightforward nature of the main story thread meant I wasn’t forgetting any crucial details.

Apparently I received the “bad ending” (or “the worst ending” according to some) but as I was watching the outcome of my decisions unfold, I felt satisfied. It wasn’t the happiest of endings but this wasn’t the happiest of worlds which made it all work. And that’s how I ultimately feel about The Witcher 3, it has its issues but the end result is a journey and experience that few developers attempt let alone reach. It has its issues that no foreseeable patch can address but when a developer pours so much quality into a single game and continues to support it many months after release, I can not only forgive them but also applaud them.
  2. Ori and the Blind Forest
  3. Life is Strange
  4. Rocket League
  5. Bloodborne
  6. Galak-Z
  7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  8. Batman: Arkham Knight
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  10. Lara Croft Go

What a great year for games.

I played less games this year than in previous years but here is my list.

1. Mortal Kombat X ; I have been a life long fan of this series, and while this game is a slight step down from 9, I still loved it and put a lot of hours into it. Great game, loved the online stuff.
2. Until Dawn ; This game sort of came out of nowhere, but I loved the B movie horror elements A lot of fun to play, karma/choice system was a nice touch. Want to play through it again some day.
3. Dying Light ; I really liked Dead Island, and this game is leagues above Dead Island. Great use of day and night cycle.
4. Call of Duty Black Ops 3 ; Weakest Campaign of the 3 Blops games, but still really fun and the MP is wonderful. Treyarch always delivers with MP and Zombies.
5. Rainbow Six Siege ; The MP is this game is rock solid and I really enjoy how you must work as a team to succeed. I really wish there was a single player campaign though.
6. Madden 16 ; Borrowed this game from a friend, played through franchise, messed around online and I had plenty of fun with this game.

JerkShep

FWnWsQM.jpg

10. Tales from the Borderlands ; Telltale games have become a well oiled machine. You play trough their games with the same stale formula, the same old and buggy engine, making mostly inconsequential choices, resolving inexistent puzzles and sometime, if you're lucky, you can even experience a scripted action sequence with a couple of Quick Time Events. Tales from the Borderlands is admittedly not much different in those regards, it tries to do something new with action setpieces but ultimately the changes are too few and far between. So why should you play it then? Simply put, it has probably the best writing I've seen in a game this year, a large and likeable cast of characters, great humor and astonishingly good use of licensed music in the episode intros. Even bogged down by the overdone Telltale structure, its charm and heart is undeniable.

fi2k7MW.jpg

9. Batman Arkham Knight ; Fuck the Batmobile. This is undoubtedly the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the last Rocksteady effort. It speaks volumes of how much I liked everything else if it's still on my personal list despite shoerning the infamous car in every single goddamn section of the game. The core gameplay of the Arkham games appeals to me in a way few other games can, and Knight adds just enough, with new gadgets, takedowns, team ups, to keep it fresh and enjoyable. I've come to expect nothing in terms of story from Rocksteady and unfortunately no surprises there, even if there are still some good "experimental" narrative sections that break the mold. There is a lot of repetition in the game's side content, too much actually, following too closely the Ubisoft mantra of "quantity above quality", but when you're punching the umpteenth Scarecrow's goon, or hiding in wait under a grate for your enemies to make a mistake, or floating through the vibrant and moody Gotham City...it just feels so good.

mgwZSYv.jpg

8. Until Dawn ; Supermassive Games wrote a story that is way better than it had any right to be (especially considering the genre), created a tropey but memorable cast of characters, but above all showed teams with a much more bombastic pedegree how to actually do Choices and Consequences in an adventure game. If this isn't enough, the game is gorgeous to look at and the character models are incredible. Yes, some animations and expressions might feel weird or unrealistic at times, and in the open ares the frame rate struggles way too much, but in everything else Until Dawn went above and beyond what I expected from it. It's nice to be positively surprised once in a while.

dNQaxgW.jpg

7. Life is Strange ; Time travel is usually a kiss of death for your story, the exceptions are very rare. Is Life is Strange one of them? Yes and no. The narrative is easily at its worst when it tries to tackle time travel concepts head on, falling into the usual trappings of the genre: convoluted rules, inconsistencies, plot holes. But there are other stories in the game: the story of the small town of Arcadia Bay and its inhabitants, the story of Blackwell College and its students, the story of Max and Chloe and how adolescence can simultaneously be the best and worst time of your life. Those stories are great. Dontnod aks you to immerse yourself in a genuinely fresh setting for videogames, to breathe the atmosphere of Life is Strange, created with a masterful mix of visuals and music. You are asked to understand the vast cast of characters, their fears, dreams, secrets, not just to experience them passively like props on a stage. In the most dramatic interactions with them you have to prove you know those characters, that they mean something to you. Or face the consequences. The acting at times can feel forced or unnatural, some actiony and stealthy sections don't really work, but these things matter little in the grand scheme of things. Just BE Max Caufield for those ten, fifteen hours. You're gonna have a hella good time.

PDodjik.jpg

6. Splatoon ; It has been a long time since a multiplayer shooter managed to grab me beyond a couple matches here and there with a group of friends. Buying Splatoon was almost an afterthought, I didn't want to abandon my Wii U and impressions were good so I took the jump. It was Nintendo, how bad could it be? Little did I know that it would end be one of my most played games this year. It's difficult to articulate why since I'm not an expert in the genre, I can only say that Splatoon felt like a game that somehow someone forgot to publish, an hidden gem from another era of videogames, and yet immensely modern and fresh. On top of the multiplayer, I even found a satisfying single player campaign, with a charming story, great bosses and fantastic music. It's a Nintendo product through and through, and that means dealing with some backward online mechanics: maps rotation is a bit limited, loadouts costumization could be streamlined and in general more options would definitely help. But in a world of season passes that costs almost as Splatoon itself, Nintendo's completely free support has been almost unbelievable: recurring Splatfests, a shitload of new weapons, equipments, modes and maps. There are still issues, but the basic mechanics are so strong and Nintendo has shown such a dedication that I can't be but hopeful for the future of Splatoon.

0VzFsXx.jpg

5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; A Kojima game is always an event, no matter what your opinion of the guy is. Guns of the Patriots and Peace Walker were definitely interesting experiences, but for me the series never managed to regain that spark that was lost sometimes after Snake Eater. Even the release of Ground Zeroes left me cold: gameplay was solid, if a bit undercooked, but the story was all over the place, despite all the hype Sutherland had just a few, ankwardly delivered, lines and as a whole I just didn't think that Kojima had the nuance, competence and tact to explore the themes he wanted to explore. Yet I was strangely drawn by Phantom Pain, I watched the trailers a ridicolous amount of times and at some point during the road to the game's release I conviced myself that maybe, just maybe, Kojima still got it. In hindsight, I was a gigantic fool. With all the news coming out of Konami the writing was on the wall, something was bound to go wrong. But I could never have guessed what the final product would actually end up being. Metal Gear Solid V is one of the best stealth games I've ever played, the sandbox gameplay redefine the limits of the series and the genre as a whole: incredible variety in approaches, an infinite amount of viable tools for sneaking and destruction, impeccable character movements, interesting interactions with support characters and vehicles, all the above integrated in an open world environment. There are still some issues, the most important one being the repetitiveness in side missions and a general inclination in wasting the player time with counters, masked load times and those fucking helicopter trips. But that typical Kojma touch can be felt in every component of the gameplay, the attention to details is off the chart: be as crazy as you can, and the game will not only aknowledge you craziness but it will actually reward your ingenuity. The unexpected twist is that mostly everything else is a complete trainwreck and it breaks my heart just thinking of what could have been if the narrative actually delivered. Instead we are left not only with a disappointing story, but with an unfinished one as well. Chapter 2 should never have been released in the current state and even what's there in the first chapter feels underdeveloped at best, a series of interesting ideas that the writing team never actually explored. The returning characters are honestly the worst they've ever been in the series, the best I can say about the new characters is that they are a wasted opportunity. I truly feel sorry for Skull Face as the main villain, it had the potential to be a memorable enemy and instead it will remembered as a sad internet meme. And I'm not even ready to open the can of worms that is the final twist. The Phantom Pain is a Joy to play, but everything that concerns the narrative will make you experience Pain, Sorrow and Rage. And your worst Fear will come true: the final game in the Metal Gear Solid franchise directed by Hideo Kojima does not actually End.

oNuWKGT.jpg

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; Everyone already told you why the last CD Projekt game is good, I'm not even going to try to tell something new about it. The Bloody Baron questline will be remembered as one of the genre's finest. The story despite an insipid Act III and a simplified political plot, especially in comparison to Assassins of Kings, is consistently very well written, with a surprising intimate focus despite the scope. The world is immersive and coherent, with every one of the main three areas focusing on different themes but nonetheless tightly connected. The Wild Hunt was handled poorly, but secondary villains like the Crones and O'dimm in Hears of Stone are among the series' best. The choices encompass perfectly the "grey" morality that the Witcher games are known for. Despite the huge amount of content, every quest has an handcrafted feeling to it. The gameplay as a whole is...not so great. It's definitely serviceable, but I find it a bit baffling that CD Pojekt keeps doing more or less the same mistakes since the first game: bad interface, convoluted inventory management, the potion mechanic managed to become even worse than the other games, it definitely needed more skill slots to open up build possibilities. Still, Wild Hunt is an achievement, there's such a staggering amount of good content in there despite a few annoying flaws. On top of that, Hearts of Stone might be one of the best expansions I've ever played, a condensed and improved version of the best aspects of the vanilla game.

DZYmAW9.jpg

3. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; It happens rarely to find a game in which everything is focused towards something, a joint effort of gameplay, sounds, art to achieve something, a single purpose. Despite being a great fan of Tetsuya Takahashi, I never expected Xenoblade X to be one of them. Every element of the game is designed to enhance a sense of mistery and unknown, yet with a feel of familiarity to it. In this, nothing stands out more than the planet Mira, the game's vast setting, an alien world where impossible rock formations extend towards the sky, almost touching the ominous moon, where a vast desert littered with metallic crafts is costantly hit by electric storms, where overgrown branch trees can be used to travel miles above majestic waterfalls, where the flora and fauna are at the same time similar to our own yet alien and strange in their design. Even the human last refuge seems to hide things from the amnesiac main character, leaving unsaid important details about the crash of the White Whale.The ambient music mixes classic tune with weird instruments and lyrics, enhanching the unique atmosphere of the game. Not since the Metroid Primes game I've explored such an alien, dangerous yet beautiful world. Even in its gameplay elements, the deeper mechanics are left to the player to uncover, and if you find the courage to dwell in its menus long enough, you'll find an incredibly deep battle system, with lots of options for costumizations.The quest design is simple and at a first glance full of menial tasks, but if you take a moment to consider the desperate situation of the human race in the game, with only thousands of humans left and even them on the brink of extinction, freeing a path from the city to the near lake, helping uncover wreckage of the White Whale or rescuing fellow BLADEs lost on Mira have a weight that few other games can replicate. There are a lot of issues on the narrative side, with stilted dialogues, long pauses between sentences, ankward humor, repetitions. The story feels strangely grounded and low key for a Takahashi game, but I think it serves the overall game better than a bombastic, cutscenes heavy story could do. If you look at the single parts, it's easy to point out flaws. But Xenoblade Chronicles X for me is easily more than the sum of its part, every design choice feels deliberate and help shape an original and unique experience in the genre. Also Skells.

Gn3wiM7.jpg

2. Undertale ; When writing my Top 10 I tried to list what I liked the most about these titles, and obviously in which areas they were lacking as well. It was a huge help in writing the short summaries that accompany this list. It mostly worked. Except for Undertale. I can't seem to have even a bit of objectivity when thinking about Undertale. I won't tell you what it does well, many others are more skilled in explaining its merits and strenght. I won't even tell you what it does wrong, because the two or three things I halfassedly came up with don't even remotely matter to me when taking in consideration the experience as a whole. I can tell you that I played Undertale in two long sessions on Christmas and Christmas Eve, and I can't stop thinking about it. I keep listening to its soundtrack, I keep digging through the wiki looking for quotes and tibits I might have missed, oh my god I even listed to songs with fanmade lyrics and animations on Youtube. That's how bad I'm currently obsessed with Undertale. I would like to play some of the content I've not seen yet, but if you have finished the game and cared about the world and its characters even slightly, you know why I can't do that. And I'm a cynic hardcore completionist when it comes to games, that's how much it speaks to me. So I'm not totally crazy yet, I won't tell you that Undertale changed my life. But it's been a long time since a game managed to made me smile so goddamn much (no, not laugh at internet memes, you soulless bastards).

0kB2f0U.jpg

1. Bloodborne ; Since I first saw the Project Beast trailer, I expected something special from Miyazaki and From Software. What I got with Bloodborne was the most polished Souls-like experience to date. Everything I loved about Souls was enhanched on a new level, I understand that some people might not like the direction the game took, but for me personally it was a perfect storm of the best choices they could have made. It made away with the most questionable trends introduced by Dark Souls II and focused on improving the core aspect of the game, the combat. Faster, more aggressive, fewer weapons but with a new level of complexity. It abandoned the high fantasy setting of Dark Souls and introduced something completely new, a surprisingly deep lore that keeps you guessing. A lesser dev would be content to craft a well made Victorian setting, but Miyazaki went above and beyond, the direction the game takes after its half mark is something I'd never have expected and gave it a new sense of depth. Bloodborne is not a graphical powerhouse but it shines stylistically in a way few other games can compare, mixing an incredible coherence with a great variety of environments. The level design is among the best in a series already known for mastefully connected worlds. On top of everything I just said, The Old Hunters content improves on all the aspects of the base game, introducing a ton of new weapons, trasformations, some of the most memorable bosses and characters and new lore that puts everything else in a new prospective. Bloodborne is definitely not for everyone, and it simply can't have the impact of Demons or Dark Souls. It's still "one of those". But hell, sometimes it feels like the best of them all.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Whatever, I completed the list so late that probably no one is going to read it and it does not say anything particularly insightful to begin with. Oh, and the images were a last minute addition so they're a bit half assed. Still, this is probably my most robust write up for a Top Ten list since I joined NeoGAF years ago, so I'm kind of proud of it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They have to go from 1-10.

EDIT: Disregard.

1. Her Story ; An engrossing FMV detective game where you get to go through the police files on an old computer to try and piece together what happened in an old murder case. The performance put in by Viva Seifert is perfect and helps add to the troubling tale as it unfolds. I love how the game just lets you go out and discover files, as it helps to create somewhat different experiences for everyone who plays it. This is one of the few games where I took out a notebook and started to scrawl out notes as I went, to help myself think about what Hannah was saying, and to help come up with ideas of what term to search next. I had so much fun going through and trying to piece together everything. I also had some friends who played through the game, so it was a lot of fun discussing and debating the different takeaways we had from the game. While it is a relatively short game, I was still thinking about it for days after I had completed it. Overall, I thought this had a fantastic narrative, and I look forward to seeing what Sam Barlow comes up with next.

2. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls ; As someone who loves the Danganronpa series, I liked this entry in the series quite a bit. It’s certainly not a perfect game, and I don’t think it’s as good as the first two, but I was thoroughly entertained. I really liked both Komaru and Toko, and I loved how their relationship evolved and the banter between the two of them. I especially liked how the game helped raise Toko from mostly a joke character to someone who actually has a lot of depth and displayed a ton of growth since the first game. The gun gameplay was weak, but I did enjoy the overall story, and felt that it more than made up for it. It was also nice to leave the school setting and see what was going on in the outside world.

3. Until Dawn ; This is the game that David Cage wishes he could make. It’s a fun, interactive movie where you help try to guide characters through a horror filled night. The story and characters are fun, and you actually come to care for a few of the characters quite a bit as the story goes on. Hopefully there's an Until Dawn 2, as I'd love to see what else Supermassive Games can come up with.

4. htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary ; A puzzle game where you control two fireflies as they attempt to guide a little girl out of a deadly labyrinth. The game can be difficult in parts, but felt rewarding when you figured out the puzzles. While there are no spoken words or story text, the plot is intriguing and it was surprisingly fascinating to analyze the story and themes.

5. Lara Croft Go ; Stylish, fun and effectively captures the feel of a Tomb Raider game. Maybe not too tough until the free DLC they added, but still fun enough to play and figure out the puzzles. I'd actually love another Go game with Lara, although it's more likely they'll move onto another IP.

6. Downwell ; Simple, but fun and challenging. I love playing this in between things, easily one of the best pick-up and play games of this year. The graphics are basic, but everything about this game oozes charm. I haven't beaten it yet, but I'm slowly getting better at it.

7. You Must Build a Boat ; This was just as fun as 10000000. It doesn’t shake-up the formula too much, but it’s a lot of fun, so I was fine with that. This one felt shorter, but I still had a ton of fun playing through it.

Cyrano

1. Undertale ; Not new and not different, but told better than almost any other game has told something in the past.
2. Splatoon ; New and different, a proper revitalization to a genre painfully old and boring by now.
3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; Maybe the biggest open world game with a world that feels genuinely alive and hauntingly beautiful. For as much as some people hate the inauthentic wind, I am enthralled with how alive the environments in the game feel compared to any other 3D game.
4. Her Story ; Interesting. I don't have a lot of words for it because it's not a game that's easy to say much about. I say this because it isn't like any other game before it and calling it something doesn't serve to really explain what it is or why it's successful. It's a game that should be experienced, and insodoing, you'll come to understand what makes it so worth exploring.
5. Bloodborne ; It's no Demon's Souls, but trick weapons are definitely one of the coolest ideas I've seen from Miyazaki since Maiden Astraea. If Astraea was what gave the personality to the series, trick weapons are what gave it the strength to be a giant based on interaction. Still not a fan of how Bloodborne handles the psychological horror mythos, and the Old Hunters made it even more clear that this is a game of style over substance.

1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PS4)
  2. Ori and the Blind Forest
  3. Life is Strange
  4. Rocket League
  5. Bloodborne
  6. Galak-Z
  7. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  8. Batman: Arkham Knight
  9. Call of Duty: Black Ops III
  10. Lara Croft Go

What a great year for games.

You must have at least one comment or your vote will not count.

They have to go from 1-10.

Nope.

Cheesemeister said:
Can I order my list from 10 to 1?
Yes, but this may increase the chances of you accidentally skipping a place and invalidating your ballot.

Farks!

1. Pillars of Eternity ; Pillars of Eternity may not be the only "old school" cRPG to be released during the current RPG renaissance that started a couple of years ago, but it may very well be the most important one. And more than being important, it's a great game with interesting combat, world building and storytelling.
2. Underrail ; Underrail has almost gone under the radar, but it's definetly not a light weight when it comes to RPG's. Great atmosphere, character building and turn based combat that is romantically reminiscent of the original Fallout's without being a ripoff earns this game a place among the best of the year.
3. Grim Fandango: Remastered ; Grim Fandango is a classic in a genre that is considered classical for sometimes the wrong reasons, with it's obtuse puzzles. But what really carries Grim and what you remember afterwards is it's great story, characters and sense of humour - all of which are of a high watermark rarely seen in this medium.

Nete

1. Rocket League ; An instant multiplayer classic, touching all the right notes. Not just my game of the year, but one of my all-time favourites.
2. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; The combat may be lackluster and I find it kinda mediocre on its RPG elements as I can't help but play as Geralt would, but it's still the best Witcher game and probably the only Open World game that doesn't feel designed with filler on mind.
3. Pillars of Eternity ; A shining throwback to the Infinity Engine golden days, and the best RPG of the year. I'm glad it wasn't released last year, so I didn't had to chose between this and Divinity Original Sin.
4. Invisible, Inc ; Best stealth game since both Looking Glass Thief.
5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; Awful as a Metal Gear game. Fantastic as an action game.
6. Prison architect ; Yes, this is a 2015 game. What a long and fruitful Early Access has been.
7. Cities Skyline ; EA and Maxis, you should feel ashamed.
8. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Gorgeous? Check. Great level design? Check. Tight controls? Check. Challenging? Check. Yep, it deserves to be here.

Honorable Mentions
x. Super Mario Maker ; I haven't played the game. I don't even own a Wii U. I don't care, I love it. Probably my most watched game in Twitch this year.
x. Batman Arkham Knight ; Even with all the problems it has (hello gazillion Batmobile battles, repetitive missions and awful bosses), I loved it from start to end, but I can't give it any point with the clusterfuck it was in PC. Funny enough, I was able to play it without many problems on release... while it remains unplayable after the patches.

Stefs

Banned
Whatever, I completed the list so late that probably no one is going to read it and it does not say anything particularly insightful to begin with. Oh, and the images were a last minute addition so they're a bit half assed. Still, this is probably my most robust write up for a Top Ten list since I joined NeoGAF years ago, so I'm kind of proud of it.[/QUOTE]

I read it, and enjoyed it. Good write-up!

1. SOMA ; one of the best scifi experiences ever, not replicable in another medium, and in my mind, gaming's first scifi masterpiece and contribution to great science fiction. Truly stunned that I almost missed this.

2. Ori and the blind forest ; absolutely gorgeous, wonderful controls and an overwhelmingly beautiful soundtrack.

3. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt ; the best open world game ever made, CD Projekt deserve all the praise they received for this.

4. Tearaway Unfolded ; perfectly done reimagining for the PS4, highlighting all the systems tech, while making for a meatier adventure and preserving the charming papercraft world.

5. Life is Strange ; played this with my wife and both of us were really surprised what a great experience it was. Love to see what DONTNOD gets ups to next.

6. Resident Evil HD Remaster ; the pinnacle of the entire series, yes that includes 4. I honestly would love it if Capcom would just build on this formula moving forward as opposed to trying to the take the series where it continues to go.

7. The Talos Principle (PS4) ; Great writing turns what is a nice little puzzle game into a truly absorbing experience.

Funny but really wonderful year - I played the big guys like Bloodborne and MGSV and just really failed to connect with them (with the exception of Witcher 3). AC Syndicate occasionally touches greatness, but the series still does not belong on GOTY lists until it can address it's painfully repetitive gameplay cycle. Hopefully haven't forgotten anything - good luck, SOMA!

Durante

1. Pillars of Eternity ; Well, it was everything I wanted it to be. Not always 100% ideally executed, but still, for the first time in almost a decade you could see that something with a somewhat-lerger-than-indie budget made a competent attempt to actually be the game I've wanted to play all this time. That's worth a lot.

2. TIS-100 ; I only started playing this less than a month ago, but it's an absolutely wonderfully designed puzzle game which appeals to me greatly in its challenge, the way it fosters competition, and its basic theme.

3. Shadowrun: Hong Kong ; A great iteration on the formula established by Dragonfall. And I still love the setting -- I could do with one of these every year.

4. Ori and the Blind Forest ; Probably my favourite Metroidvania in 5 years at least. Both an astonishingly beautiful game, and one which nails the polish of it mechanics while also introducing some novelty - a rare combination.

5. The Witcher 3 ; It manged to be a huge open world game which is actually filled adequately with well-made, unique content. That is inherently worthy of praise.

6. Contradiction ; I expected nothing from this, but Detective Jenks' investigation completely hooked me. Perhaps my favourite surprise of the year. Do you know... this?

7. Cities: Skylines ; Another surprise. And its nice to see the tradition of the city builder continue in capable hands and be successful.

8. The Age of Decadence ; Ultimately perhaps a bit too hardcore even for me to rank higher in terms of enjoyment, the game is nonetheless a testament to the sheer perseverance of Iron Tower studio, and the new reference when it comes to reactivity and choice in RPGs.

9. Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns ; I simply spent too much time playing this in 2015 not to list it. The additional traversal option is very neat, and the resultant verticality of the new locations is something I hadn't experienced in an MMO before.

10. Celestian Tales: Old North ; A JRPG project by a tiny team which actually managed to deliver a competent and enjoyable game. I do hope that they can complete the trilogy they envision.

Games I haven't played yet which might have made it: Underrail, Serpent in the Staglands, Atelier Shallie.
Games I've played which almost made it: Tales of Zestiria, D4.

Edit: is there any particular reason the script is whitespace-sensitive w.r.t. comment string starting position?

byropoint

1. Bloodborne ; My game of the year and one of my favorite games of all time, I only discovered Fromsoft/Miyazaki games last year and what a discovery it was, it somewhat rekindled my interest in gaming and after skipping two generations of consoles I got a PS4 to play this (and a few other upcoming games to be fair, but mostly Bloodborne :p). Its art direction, atmosphere, lore, music and gameplay combine to create something that resonated with me really, really strongly, it was an amazing experience and that's what gaming is all about for me, it's been close to a year since the release now and I still think about the game and its story/lore almost daily.

2. Rocket League ; It's just pure fun to play with someone, my girlfriend is not much of a gamer but she loves to play Rocket League with me, and that's something I've been looking for :p

3. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC ; I had an urge to play a classic, PS1 era, 50 hour RPG and amazingly I found one, I played FC this year as well but this is the one that was (re)released on Steam this year so here it is.

4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; This is here only because I haven't played a lot of new releases in 2015, I was mostly going through my backlog and played only the games I couldn't wait to play. My feelings about this game are still mixed, I liked my time with it and I think it's a good game but as a MGS fan since the first one I was very disappointed with the story, characters and the overall structure of the game, it felt like a very polished game technically and gameplay wise, but the rest was severely lacking.

Aaand that's it. I really haven't played a lot of new games last year, even though I bought them, sucks and is kinda unfair to those games, I know :(

1. Bloodborne ; Another masterpiece from Hidetaka Miyazaki and FromSoftware. I pretty much love everything about it, the gameplay, the level design, art direction, atmosphere and weapons. I even bought the DLC which I rarely do.
  2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; As a general rule I'm not a fan of western RPGs but there are rare exceptions. Superb writing, storytelling, world building, dialogue and voice acting. It also does the best job of any game I've played at contextualizing missions. There are maybe 5 different types of quests that you do over and over, but it does such a good job at storytelling I didn't even notice until 3/4 of the way through. Sadly it falls flat in the same area as just about ALL western RPGs: Gameplay and combat mechanics which are decidedly mediocre. If it played like Dragon's Dogma it'd be a GOAT contender.
  3. Transformers: Devastation ; OG Transformers by way of PlatinumGames. Superb combat and soundtrack. What's not to love?
  4. Yakuza 5 ; I'm a huge Yakuza fan and it was great to finally play it, but I didn't like it as well as 4. It started great but the Saejima and especially Haruka chapters bring it down. I just got started on Chapter 4 though, maybe it will pick back up.
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles X ; Very impressive overworld, gameplay less so but still pretty fun. I like the world map design. There's a lot I like but I lot I don't. It seems unlikely I will finish it.
  6. Tales of Zestiria ; A good JRPG, although I didn't enjoy it nearly as much as Xillia or especially Xillia 2. The story and characters weren't as memorable or entertaining and I wasn't real fond of the combat. I'm hoping Berseria is more like Xillia in those areas.
  7. Yoshi's Woolly World ; A fun, cute and polished Nintendo platformer. What else is there to say?
  8. Resident Evil: Revelations 2 ; Nowhere near the wildly over the top bombastic fun of RE6 nor the masterpiece of horror that is RE1/ReMake or even Dead Space 1 but an intense and enjoyable game nonetheless. My biggest complaint is how short it was.

Honorable Mentions:

• Legend of Kay Anniversary – Great remaster of a surprisingly great PS2 game. Really fun and it holds up well.
  • Lara Croft Go – I haven't played that much but have been impressed so far.
  • Never Alone – The fox is cute
  • Final Fantasy Record Keeper – Pretty insubstantial but oddly addictive and it let me put both Red XIII and Auron in my battle party. They did an impressive job turning 3D character and enemy models into 2D sprites.
  • Alphabear – Of the three mobile games I played this year, it was one of them.
  • Onechanbara Z2: Chaos – Stupid trashy spectacle, not very good but still reasonably fun.

Biggest Disappointments:

• Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Menace
    Fuck motherbase and everything related to it
    Fuck open world
    Fuck cassette tapes
    Fuck Ocelot losing his established personality
    Fuck shitty bosses
    Fuck Kiefer Sutherland I don't even care, just fuck Snake being almost mute
    Fuck chapter 2
    Fuck shakycam cutscenes
    Fuck wasting huge amounts of time riding in the stupid helicopter
    Fuck FOBs, microtransactions and FOB insurance
    #FucKojima (99% of this was his fault, and he already ruined MGS with Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes).
    #FucKonami too
    Just... fuck

I adore MGS 1-4 with 2 being my favorite. I hate to play the “they changed it now it sucks” card and try to judge games for what they are rather than what they are not but it's really hard with a franchise I love so much, and in this case what it is not is everything I love about the series and what it is is something I never would have even picked up in the first place. I can't believe I'm saying this but I enjoyed Splinter Cell Blacklist more more than a numbered MGS. I wish it was possible to give a game negative points that would subtract from its score, that's how bitter I about this game. And one more thing... As great as MGS 3 absolutely was, I just do not care about Big Boss or his timeline.​
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
    It had all the right ingredients but still managed to get everything wrong. Good soundtrack though.
  • The Odor: 1886
    The best looking worst game I've played in many years. All style, zero substance. Actually it doesn't have much style either, just pretty graphics and art direction. The first “gameplay” interaction the player has is a QTE followed by a long forced to walk slowly section. The rest is just boring whack-a-mole / Space Invaders cover-based shooting galleries interspersed with more QTEs and walk slowly sections. Not only does it fail to bring anything remotely new to the table, the worn out cliches it does bring aren't even executed especially well. The great setting, premise and production values are completely wasted.
  • Godzilla
    They actually found a way to make playing as a huge, city-leveling monster even more dull than the 2014 movie. Both of which managed to make the 1998 Godzilla seem less terrible by comparison. Crap as it was at least it wasn't boring.

There are still several games I haven't played yet that would likely have made my list very different. Most notably: Undertale, Trails of Cold Steel, Ori and the Blind Forest, Axiom Verge, Armello, Hotline Miami 2 and Shadowrun Hong Kong.

maxcriden

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ; How can I put a remaster/remake/whatever we're calling these at the top of my list? I struggled with this question on and off for the past month. I have to, though. This game always needs more recognition because of two reasons. Reason number one, if just one person who's never played it reads this ballot and gives the game a shot because it's #1 on someone's list, then I'm glad to have given it this placement. Reason number two, people really didn't give this version of the game its due. Eyes quickly rolled at the thought of some of the streamlining this game did. I can't disagree that the modifications made make the game easier in a sense, but to me the original is simply too oblique in its gameplay systems and how much trial and error and replay and exploration of possible outcomes to an extreme extent it requires, and I don't see any real harm in making it so people are more likely to see all the nooks and crannies of the game. I say that because these are some very special nooks and crannies.

(Oh, there's a third reason, too, come to think of it. This game is, for me, the very best gaming experience on this list, so I'm duty-bound to be true to myself and give it its rightful top spot.) The game offers a complexity and depth of gameplay systems and characters previously and since unseen in Zelda games, and to me in the games I've played in my time gaming in general. I love this game and I love the thoughtful, tense and poignant emotional and visceral highs it brings. I love the feeling of a rainy afternoon of the Second Day and the joyous bouncing of a new frog endlessly eager to see Don Gero again and the trotting cuteness of those terriers marching proudly behind you. And the lonely but hopeful spirit of Kamaro, leaving that last dance to his successors. And the Skull Kid, just looking for a way and a friend in the world. And the vertiginous heights of the Stone Tower Temple and its pounding drums. The Lens of Truth revealing hidden and slippery paths. Pamela and her father. Just a lovely, wonderful game.

2. Yoshi's Woolly World ; Kirby's Epic Yarn is probably one of my favorite games of all time. Every whimsical moment of the piano-driven soundtrack and every delightful waddle of the famous Waddle Dees draws a broad grin across my face just to think of. Yoshi's one of my favorite Nintendo characters and I'm a big fan of all of his games, including the polarizing DS entry. This game was woefully overlooked amidst a flurry of more popular games and the prevailing idea that 2D platformers are now a dime a dozen. It's too bad. I didn't love the game to the degree I swooned for KEY, but YWW regardless was a true delight to experience and I'm eager to go back and 100% it. We played through the main game and most of the bonus levels, and while many of the levels throughout the game show brilliant design, those S levels are often on another level entirely, bringing to the fore some of the most complex and engrossing platforming journeys I've encountered. The game is filled with pure, undistilled joy and playing it brings to mind the smiles I wore so proudly playing KEY, and brought alongside those memories new grins, too.

3. Elliot Quest ; Elliot Quest is a masterful and frustrating game. At its core it's a Zelda game, so it's funny that we got two "masterful and frustrating" Zeldas in one year. (The other one of these is on this list, too, a couple spaces down.) But there are really three Zelda games on this list, and to me this is arguably the best original Zelda experience 2015 had to offer. Something about this game is exceptionally special. It's in the gaming dictionary next to diamond in the rough. The big issue is with the patches that had to take place to get the game to where it is today. The developers chipped away at patch after patch like a veritable game of whac-a-mole. Each problem solved seemed to bring a new issue. My impression is these patches, thanks to the devs' diligent and continued efforts, are completely ironed out so any previous frustrations can be filed away as a footnote to a wonderful game.

Here's why this is such a terrific game. I've only played bits and pieces of Zelda II but if ever someone wanted to see how a Zelda game would work as a 2D sidescroller, Elliot Quest is their game. (BTW, it should also be the subtitle for the Season 2 OT of Mr. Robot later this year. Just sayin'.) So, everything about this game is a wondrously emblematic of a lucid world brought to life. The character and enemy design is unique but has that unmistakable je ne sais quoi of the Zelda genre. The action is tight and thoughtful and responsive. The puzzles are bewitching but never frustrating. The music is delightful and memorably grand. The most important thing is game feel, though, and just playing EQ feels terrific. You become Elliot. This is what I want from a game. To be transported into a world, to be the character--to be the "Link" into their world, if you will. EQ offers and delivers this in spades. It's the best Zelda game Nintendo never published, and I can't recommend it heartily enough.

4. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse ; Canvas Curse is one of my favorite Kirby spin-off games, second only to Mass Attack. Rainbow Curse seems to take a lot of inspiration, surprisingly enough, from both of these games. It looks gorgeous but there has to be a way to patch this game so, as others have suggested, you can play with the stylus and look at the big screen. I mean...maybe there isn't a way. But it seems a shame that the Wii U GamePad is the only way for those of us with what I'd call a normal and not preternatural talent for hand-eye coordination to play the game. Still. The game is extremely fun and despite it not having a super high level count, nor did Canvas Curse and both games are really packed with content. Throw in a wonderful music player and figurine viewer and you've got a heck of a package, especially at a discount price. The claymation style is wondrous to look at. You eat with your eyes, and that big Kirby cookie is right there on the cover.

5. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes ; As a massive Zelda fan, I didn't know exactly what to expect from TFH. I've never been super into MP Zelda and I just didn't know how much replayability the dungeons would hold. The answer, honestly, is not that much. Patches have improved this some but the purest experience the game has to offer is when a team of three adventurers totally unfamiliar with what a level has to offer struggle and succeed together. That's a great, great feeling. There are trolls though, and poor connections (maybe my fault at times, I'm honestly unsure), and the loot system while mostly genius is a bit too reliant on replaying levels and if you know the solution to a level and don't have all the time in the world to play games...or honestly even if you do...it's just not that exciting to replay a 2D Zelda level unless you missed some significant area your first time through and that's just not something that's going to happen in this game the way it's structured.

But! "Noooooo!!!" is hilarious. Cheering is hilarious. All the emojis are amazing. Those two are my faves. When teamwork works, it really, really works. The bosses are ridiculously on point and a lot of the levels themselves off new mechanics heretofore unseen in the series as far as I remember. The costumes are super clever and creative and often very cute. No point spoiling any of those here, but I will say that if I jumped into the game again I might consider SP just for my own peace of mind. Because when you get a lot of trolls or bad runs--that coupled with the frustrating voting system with levels--it really feels a bit aggravating. You can tell I'm torn about the game. There's a lot of quality there. I just wish there was a consistently great way to experience it. If you have access to two other people with 3DS's who want to play it with you, that's gotta be the best way to go. I've heard polarizing things about SP but I think I'd consider it before strongly recommending online with randoms, depending on your level of frustration tolerance. Oh, and the OST is supremely awesome.

6. Splatoon ; I'm not an online MP guy, but I can say the fresh style of Splatoon had me online for several hours and I did have to kind of pull myself away when I returned the disc to GameFly. SP's really my bag, tho, so I was psyched to canvas Octoling Valley and spelunk for those Sunken Scrolls. The SP as others have wisely noted serves as a thoughtful tutorial for some basic and advanced techniques for MP, but it's more than just than. Apart from one of the most exhilarating final boss fights in years, the style brings to mind (again, to borrow a connection made by many fans) a cleaner and more focused Super Mario Sunshine. The strange underground faux-sky and post-apocalyptic world of Octoling Valley along with those happening beats really drew me deep into the world of the game much more than I expected to be. I'm looking forward to the inevitable next SP campaign in this series and I'm confident they can top what's already a very impressive, creative and engaging first outing.

7. BOXBOY! ; I've been championing BOXBOY! since it was announced as Hakoboi about a year ago and I was eagerly waiting for its boxy frame to step onto Western shores. The minimalist style is a pure joy here, a throwback to the sobering quiet panache found on the OG Game Boy. I really, really like this game and playing it feels like a truly unadulterated gaming experience. There's no BS. It's just you and Qbby and some strange B&W landscapes to traverse. I suck at the side challenges but I found playing the regular levels eminently and imminently satisfying. I'm eager to play the sequel. One more box indeed. Also, the name "Qbby" is friggin' genius.

8. Adventures of Pip ; To me AOP must be one of the most overlooked 2D indie platformers in what we know to be a veritable sea of them. If the market for such games was once a blue ocean, it's now very much a real morass of quality games trying to differentiate themselves amongst each other, where a similar aesthetic means it becomes harder and harder to discern wherein quality lies. I like this game a lot, though. The pixelized evolution makes for not only a charming diegesis but additionally an exceptionally clever game mechanic as well. The graphical style is charming and the Virt OST has an endlessly catchy and pleasantly epic quality to it. It's a sweet game. Play it. It's on Wii U and some other systems too.

9. Stretchmo ; I'm a big fan of the puzzles found in Pushmo. To be honest I could never really get the hang of Crashmo. The kind of thinking and spatial reasoning it requires confuses the heck out of me and I just never gelled with it. Pushmo's adorable, though, and it offers some real brain teasers. I only played the first chunk of puzzles here and I imagine that if I'd played beyond the initial 100 this very well could have gone higher on my list. Alas, no such luck, but I can gladly place it here on the list and I'm looking forward to revisiting it as time permits.

10. Super Mario Maker ; Before SMM came out, I think I overindulged in binging on let's play-type videos for it, despite not normally doing that for games. But this is a game that lends itself exceptionally well to watching levels, because you never know what what you're going to get or how the player is going to react to what they find. The thing is, this is showing up at #10 for me because at its core this is a level editor and a very impressive one, but I'm no level designer so the enjoyment I got from the game was a bit less than I anticipated. It reflects real life video game development, where only a small percentage of levels are excellent. The levels that trolled or were mind-numbingly hard were exhausting to attempt or skip through in the 100 Mario Challenge and I didn't feel like the pacing was terrific. It felt like the next level always should have loaded up faster. My attention span for the game felt exceptionally short.

On the bright side, there are some awesomely talented SMM level designers out there, and here on GAF, so my hats off to them and I'm endlessly impressed by their creations. I hope if they have a passion for game design that this helps them to get noticed. For my own selfish purposes I want Nintendo to focus on games and not game creation tools. But that's really just my own avarice. In the meantime I can be suitably impressed with what Nintendo has done here, which is no small feat.

--

I wasn't sure if it was going to get a ranking, but it seems it got knocked out of the top ten. I do want to mention Nintendo Badge Arcade regardless though. My wife and I have played this fun little gem of a F2P game nearly every day since its release, in 5-10 minute increments. I want to say we've spent a total of $3 on plays and have relied on skill (my wife's got skills with that practice crane!), luck and generosity resulting in free plays given out otherwise. Baito is a great new Nintendo character and his antics never fail to crack me up. (He, Nabbit and Ravio need to get together for a game. Make Bowser Jr. the villain and you've got a recipe for success.) I'll just say we've gotten a solid 10+ hours of enjoyment out of this game and getting a complete set of launcher badges you want or a particularly adorable Poochy badge really brightens up the longest of days.

Resident Evil HD Remaster ; the pinnacle of the entire series, yes that includes 4. I honestly would love it if Capcom would just build on this formula moving forward as opposed to trying to the take the series where it continues to go!

So glad to see I wasn't the only person who included this in their list!

DukeBobby

It's past 3am and I've not spell checked this but whatever.

1. Bloodborne ; What else can be said about this game? A visual, auditory, and mechanical tour-de-force with some of the best level and character design in the industry. Expertly paced, wonderfully grim and macabre, and with some of the most imposing, terrifying bosses you'll ever face in the game. Chalice dungeons and a few performance mishaps aside, I can't think of anything wrong with it. Brilliant.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ; A monumental RPG experience with a boatload of issues, yet still managing to make my number 2 spot. Let's get the negatives out of the way first. The combat was serviceable yet unremarkable, the story was poorly paced at times, the voice acting was occasionally a bit spotty (I'm looking at you, Triss), Roach only seemed to function when travelling in a straight line, and the main antagonists were woefully underdeveloped. Wow, that's quite a lot!! But fuck all of that shit. I loved everything else about the game too much to even care. The world, the characters, the quests, Gwent. Oh yes, Gwent. Worthy of the number 2 spot by itself.

3. Yakuza 5 ; Content, content and more content... and all of it was great! Have you ever dreamed of being a taxi driver, a hunter, a pro baseball star, or a Japanese idol? Are you willing to crush a few skulls in order the achieve this dream? If so, this is the game for you. It had a gripping, if at times meandering story, a satisfying combat system, and quite possibly every mini-game under the sun. It's not exactly the best starting point in the series (the upcoming Yakuza 0 is probably a better bet), but it's still fairly accessible to newcomers, if you can get past the references to previous games.

4. Until Dawn ; The big surprise of the year. I read the reviews and the impressions, yet I still couldn't give two shits about the game until I decided to pick it up on a whim. What a great decision that was. I was fully expecting some schlocky B-movie garbage but instead I got some schlocky B movie work of genius. It adhered to every horror cliche, but the game had its tongue firmly in its cheek and never took itself too seriously. There were plenty of twists and turns during the briskly paced adventure, and I soon grew to love the memorable cast of characters. Well, except Emily. Fuck Emily.

5. Grim Fandango Remastered ; If I could, I would kiss Tim Schafer on the lips for bringing this classic adventure game back from the dead. I never had the chance to play it all those years ago and now I finally had the pleasure. A wonderfully written, funny game, offset by some typical illogical point-and-click puzzles. The petrified forest gave me nightmares.

6. Undertale ; I wasn't quite as enamoured with it as some folks on GAF, but it was still an incredibly charming, funny RPG with a wonderful cast of memorable characters and a soundtrack to die for. One day, I'll do a genocide run, but I don't have the heart to do it at the moment. I'm not a monster.

7. Life is Strange ; I wasn't sure where to place this one. At its best, it was a meaningful, relatable story which explored social issues that other games have tiptoed around. At its worst, it was a poorly paced, confused mess that was never quite sure what it wanted to be. But when it was good, it was extremely good indeed with a lot of moments I will never forget. A real step forward for the industry which hopefully opens the floodgates for more experiences of this kind. Ones with more consistency, I hope.

8. Dying Light ; The first big surprise of the year. However, I should have expected it. After all, Techland had been on a roll (Call of Juarez: Gunslinger was one of my favourite games of...2013, was it? God, all the years are blurring together!). A simple yet solid combat system, traversal that made navigating the open world an endless amount of fun, and a few scares thrown in for good measure. Sure, the side quests were pretty fetch questy, and the storytelling was pretty inept, but it kept me entertained from start to finish. Oh, and the OST was underrated as fuck.

9. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain ; I couldn't stand this bloody game. I found it to be an incredibly forgettable, tedious slog, set in a completely barren wasteland devoid of any atmosphere whatsoever. The mission structure was insanely repetitive, the characters were one-dimensional drones, and the less said about the story the better. So, why is it in the list? Simple. The moment-to-moment gameplay was absolutely sublime. Moving, running, diving, sneaking, shooting, it all felt wonderful due to the incredibly tight controls which made traversing the environment an absolute joy. I just wish there was an interesting game to accompany this mechanical mastery.

10. Fallout 4 ; Struggling to think of much to say about this one. If I bothered to put more effort into my list, I probably wouldn't have included it at all. Okay, let's write something. Well, the shooting was pretty good, I guess. Oh, and it had a couple of half decent sidequests. The story nearly gave me an aneurysm, though. Several of them, in fact.

Honorable mentions

x. Contradiction ; I still need to finish this one, but the irresistibly dapper Detective Jenks has me glued to my screen so far. You can tell the whole cast loved making this.

x. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number ; Enemies shooting you from off-screen: The Game. The levels were far too big for their own good, which led to many unavoidable, unfair deaths. The first game was fair, but this one felt cheap as shit at times. However, I can think of 49 reasons why it should at least get an honourable mention.

I've probably forgotten loads of great indie games I played, but that's what I get for writing my list at the last minute.

Stoze

Having a really hard time deciding what to put on my bottom three slots and in what order, everything else fell into place mentally pretty quickly this year.

1. Pillars of Eternity ;
Well, it was everything I wanted it to be. Not always 100% ideally executed, but still, for the first time in almost a decade you could see that something with a somewhat-lerger-than-indie budget made a competent attempt to actually be the game I've wanted to play all this time. That's worth a lot.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D ;

How can I put a remaster/remake/whatever we're calling these at the top of my list? I struggled with this question on and off for the past month. I have to, though. This game always needs more recognition because of two reasons. Reason number one, if just one person who's never played it reads this ballot and gives the game a shot because it's #1 on someone's list, then I'm glad to have given it this placement. Reason number two, people really didn't give this version of the game its due. Eyes quickly rolled at the thought of some of the streamlining this game did. I can't disagree that the modifications made make the game easier in a sense, but to me the original is simply too oblique in its gameplay systems and how much trial and error and replay and exploration of possible outcomes to an extreme extent it requires, and I don't see any real harm in making it so people are more likely to see all the nooks and crannies of the game. I say that because these are some very special nooks and crannies.
Careful, the comments have to begin on the same line as the game name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom